Pet Mod Megas for All v7 - Kalos concluded! | Please read the first post! | Fully playable through Kalos Slate 10!

:ss/cacturne:
mega cacturne.png

MEGA CACTURNE
Type: dark/grass
Ability: Scarecrow: This Pokemon draws Flying moves to itself to raise Speed by 1; flying immunity.
New moves: knock off, leaf blade, night slash, phantom force, aerial ace, fury cutter, steel wing, dual wingbeat
New stats:
115 -> 145
60 -> 80
60 -> 80
55 -> 65
:ss/hawlucha:
mega hawlucha.png

MEGA HAWLUCHA
Type: fight/flying
Ability: moxie
New moves: darkest lariat, aqua tail, blaze kick, trop kick, thunderous kick
New stats
92 -> 112
75 -> 105
63 -> 113
118 -> 128

:ss/araquanid:
mega araquanid.png

MEGA ARAQUANID
Typing: water/bug
Ability: Water bubble
New moves: sparkling aria, electro web, whirlpool, life dew,
New stats:

92 ->122
60 -> 100
42 -> 72

Last edited:
Mega Hawlucha - Fighting/Psychic
Ability: Shield Dust

New Stats

HP: 78
Attack: 92 > 74 (-18)
Defense: 75 > 105 (+30)
Spatk: 74 > 126 (+52)
Spdef: 63 > 109 (+46)
Speed: 118 > 108 (-10)
BST: 500 > 600
New moves: Air Slash, Psychic, Calm Mind, Dark Pulse, Hyper Beam, Confusion, Aura Sphere
Part two of my Megas for this slate, this time with Hawlucha! I designed it as a decently bulky wallbreaker and sweeper leaning to the special side.

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Hi everyone! I've decided to make a post to review every submission that may be too powerful or have some other issues about them. Also if you want to discuss about ways you could make your sub better, make sure to ask in the discord as it is much easier to discuss there.
Mega Hawlucha
New Ability: Limber/Unburden/Mold Breaker ---> Free Fighter (This pokemon's secondary type and first move in it's moveslot changes depending on the conditions.
Trick Room: Dark
Magic Room : Ghost
Wonder Room: Steel
Sea of Flames (Either side): Dragon
Rainbow (Either side): Flying
Marsh (Either side): Ground
Sun: Fire
Rain: Water
Sandstorm: Rock
Hail: Ice
Electric Terrain: Electric
Psychic Terrain: Psychic
Grassy Terrain: Grass
Misty Terrain: Fairy
In case of types overlapping, rooms are the most important, then terrains, and finally weather.
New Typing: Fighting
New Stats:
ATK: 92 -> 112 (+20)
DEF
: 75 -> 100 (+25)
SPA: 74
SPD: 63 -> 98 (+35)
SPE: 118 -> 138 (+20)

New Moves
:
Desc: In this slate, I wanted to pull from the pokemon's inspiration and dex entries, and Hawlucha is supposed to be a freestyle fighter, which inspired the ability, and the stats seem pretty standard.
So after discussing it on discord, we came to the conclusion that the ability activated in a bit too many conditions. It would probably be better if it only activated in 1 of these environments. Terrains are the field settings which are the most related to Hawlucha so I would recommend making it use terrains. The effect about Hawlucha's first move changing is also a bit confusing. I would recommend making its normal moves change types depending on the field effect in play and gain an extra 1.2x bp, just like -ate abilities.

Mega Hawlucha
:hawlucha:

New Ability:
Power Climber ( this Pokémon attacking raises by 1 after attacking. Special move gives Spatk and physical gives attack)
Type: Fighting/Flying

New stats:
HP:78
Attack:104(+12)
Defense: 100 (+25)
Special Attack: 92(+18)
Special Defense: 88 (+25)
Speed: 138 (+20)
BST: 600

New moves: Hurricane, Aura Sphere, Stored power (for lore)

Description: I based this mon on a fighter who attacks stronger every time kind of like Lucario. Upon mega evolution, it becomes nimbler and has learns how to use its inner energy to power up its attacks and make powerful blasts of energy.

Competitive Reasoning: Power Climber makes this Pokémon initially mediocre, but it quickly snowballs into a fast heavy hitting menace.) It can be used as a stall breaker and can quickly destroy stall. This Pokémon already has taunt for the unaware walls which makes it even better. It can also be used as a late game cleaner. The special attack and moves are so it can be used as a viable special attacker as well and aura sphere fits with the lore. This mon might be a little too strong as it basically invalidates stall, So I wanna see some feedback on how I should nerf it if needed.

Calc: 252+ SpA Hawlucha Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 36 SpD Quagsire: 211-249 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
This Hawlucha snowballs too quickly. Hawlucha is a very scary pokemon because it's very fast and its coverage is very good. Its stabs are also both 120 base power so even with this average looking attack stat, it hits harder than garchomp's earthquake which is by no means a weak move. The ability will need to have a big downside to it or be changed completely for it to not be too strong.

Mega Cacturne
Type: Grass/Dark
Ability: Stakeout
Stats:
  • HP: 70 (+0)
  • Attack: 140 (+25)
  • Defense: 80 (+20)
  • Special Attack: 115 (+0)
  • Special Defense: 80 (+20)
  • Speed: 90 (+35)
New Moves: Pursuit, Darkest Lariat, Close Combat, Lash Out, Burning Jealousy, Scorching Sands

"If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving. " ~ Cacturne's Pokedex entry from Alpha Sapphire

You give this thing a Pokedex entry like that and you DON'T give it Pursuit?! What?!

Anyways, this thing has one job; smack switchouts with Stakeout-boosted STAB Pursuits, and smack them hard. Close Combat allows it to hit Steels, and Darkest Lariat is more flavor than anything seeing as how you'll want to use Pursuit more often. I also gave it some IoA tutor moves seeing how it's the only one of these three to not get any of them (cuz it ain't in SWSH)
This Cacturne is nearly impossible to switch-into because of stakeout. If you want to keep the ability, you should remove Close Combat and lower its speed to be no higher than 65. The coverage given by Close Combat is too good and the speed makes it a lot harder for defensive pokemons to have a chance to heal or hit back before Cacturne can hit them.

mega cacturne.png

MEGA CACTURNE
Ability: Scarecrow: This Pokemon draws Flying moves to itself to raise Speed by 1; flying immunity.
New moves: knock off, leaf blade, night slash, phantom force, aerial ace, fury cutter, steel wing, dual wingbeat
New stats:
115 -> 125
60 -> 70
60 -> 70
55 -> 95
mega hawlucha.png

MEGA HAWLUCHA
Ability: battle ring: prevents adjacent pokemon from switching unless they are ghost type
New stats
92 -> 112
118 -> 198

If the ability is too op replace it with moxie
First of all, your Cacturne's base stat increase only reaches 70, make sure to give it an extra 30 points to make it legal. Second of all, your hawlucha's ability is way too strong. It's basically shadow tag and shadow tag is very clearly overpowered. Also, Hematite made a post specifically to say that if you're increasing both Hawlucha's speed and attack, the speed should not be higher than 128 (+10 points) and the attack should not be higher than 112 (+20) so make sure you take those 70 extra speed points and put them in other stats.

Slikkles

formerly Slaty fildrong
is a Tiering Contributor
View attachment 308895
MEGA CACTURNE
New stats:
115 -> 125
60 -> 70
60 -> 70
55 -> 95
View attachment 308904
MEGA HAWLUCHA
Ability: battle ring: prevents adjacent pokemon from switching unless they are ghost type
New stats
92 -> 112
118 -> 198

If the ability is too op replace it with moxie
Hello, I just wanted to say somethings about your Mons :
First of all, for Cacturne if it is a scarecrow it should not have that fast of a speed ^^

Second, like you said Hawlucha ability is shadow tag and my ability was too broken to trap 1 turn so maybe more moxie.

Third, I dont know if you can put all the new stats in only 2 categories, gf did only that for very bad mons such as Beedril.

Ps : for my mega Cacturne I can modify it to do 50% more damage or is it op ?

Last edited:
Lickilicky_XY.gif
Mega Lickilicky:
Type: Normal
Ability: Tongue Bind
New Moves: Fire Lash, Coil
Stats:
HP: 110
Atk: 125 (+40)
Def: 125 (+30)
SpA: 70 (-10)
SpD: 125 (+30)
Spe: 60 (+10)
All tail/tongue based moves (This includes Slam and Power Whip) are boosted by 1.2x are are now are able to to trap the opponent for 2 turns, dealing 1/8th of the opponent's total HP per turn, Dragon Tail is not able to get this boost or effect
I wanted to shift Lickilicky's role from a defensive one to a more offensive one, and I thought its tongue was ideal for a trapping Pokémon and I always thought it used its tail moves with its tongue, so I wanted to accentuate that property

Slikkles

formerly Slaty fildrong
is a Tiering Contributor
View attachment 309109
Mega Lickilicky:
Type: Normal
Ability: Tongue Bind
New Moves: Fire Lash, Coil
Stats:
HP: 110
Atk: 125 (+40)
Def: 125 (+30)
SpA: 70 (-10)
SpD: 125 (+30)
Spe: 60 (+10)
All tail/tongue based moves (This includes Slam and Power Whip) are boosted by 1.2x are are now are able to to trap the opponent for 2 turns, dealing 1/8th of the opponent's total HP per turn, Dragon Tail is not able to get this boost or effect
I wanted to shift Lickilicky's role from a defensive one to a more offensive one, and I thought its tongue was ideal for a trapping Pokémon and I always thought it used its tail moves with its tongue, so I wanted to accentuate that property
Nice creation but it is for the Discord right now, right now it is for Cacturne, Hawlucha and Araquanid

The Dragon Master

So you have chosen, Death
is a Pre-Contributor
:hawlucha: Mega hawlucha
New Ability
: Fighting spirit (its attack and defence are multiplied by 1.2)

Stats:
Attack: 92 > 112(+20)
Defense: 75 > 85 (+10)
Spatk: 74 > 94 (+20)
Spdef: 63 > 103(+40)
Speed: 118 > 128(+10)

Description: what hawlucha is known fr in normal battling, is as a late game sweeper with access to unburden and swords dance. My submission changes lucha into an offensive pivot, that can hit hard and use its great typing and decent bulk to stick around and keep on checking the mons it should throughout a game.

Last edited:
Mega Araquanid:
New ability: Wash off: Any burn/poison damage does half and freeze and sleep takes less time to wake up (like early bird)

Stats:
HP 78
ATK: 120 (+50)
DFN: 102 (+10)
SPA: 90 (+40)
SPDEF:132
SPD: 42

Description: made to be offensive wall, this thing would be a mid game "no u" thing. also a mixed attkr cus i has a good movepool spa wize.

Last edited:

Slikkles

formerly Slaty fildrong
is a Tiering Contributor
MEGA GOLURK
New Ability[/b]: Rebuild. When reaching 50% or lower heal 10% at the end of each turn.
Type: ground steel

New stats:
HP:99 (+10)
Attack:174 (50)
Defense:100 (=20
Special Attack:55
Special Defense:100 (+40)
Speed:55
(BST) 583

New moves: gear grind
Description:
Make design more like a statue. Give hands a grip like design. other than that go wild!
I am not a moderator but this is for the Discord.
So PLEASE read what pokemons are we working on.
Thank you

:swsh/exploud:
Mega Exploud
New Typing: View attachment 307163 View attachment 307164
Ability: Supersonic Waves - These Pokemon's Special moves are now sound moves and have 30% more power. (Does not apply to moves that are already sound moves.)
HP: 104 -- 104
Attack: 91 -- 91 (+0)
Defense: 63 -- 78 (+15)
Sp. Attack: 91 -- 121 (+30)
Sp. Defense: 73 -- 98 (+25)
Speed: 63 -- 93 (+30)
BST: 490 -- 590 (+100)

Mega Stone: Exploudite
Movepool Changes: Psychic, Psyshock, Future Sight
Description: W.I.P
Its a good idea, but the problem with Exploud is the speed.

We could add more speed to the mega and dont need to change more things.

Alright. I'm not a moderator or on the council, but stop people.
We have themed slates, and while you can post your random megas on the Discord, not here unless they are in the slate.
Also, please put your suggestions for slates and changes to others in the discord unless your doing a mass-post like Mossy Sandwich has done.
If you want to do random pokemon, suggest them or a FFA slate.

Mega Cacturne

Ability - Sand Veil; Water Absorb ➝ Scarecrow (Whenever the user switches in, for every Flying-type on the opposing side of the battlefield, the user lowers their Attack by three stages and uses Taunt on them, and gets an Attack raise, this behaves like Intimidate, that is, this ability doesn't affect Pokémon with Inner Focus, Oblivious, Scrappy, or Own Tempo, and it triggers Rattled.)

HP - 70 ➝ 70
Atk
- 115 ➝ 145 (+30)
Def - 60 ➝ 87 (+27)
SpA - 115 ➝ 116 (+1)
SpD - 60 ➝ 87 (+27)
Spe - 55 ➝ 70 (+15)
BST - 475 ➝ 575 (+100)

Movepoll Changes - n/a
Competitive Corner - Mega Cacturne's power level is a bit on the lower side, but its main niche is dissuading Flying-types from attacking, Defogging, or setting up. 145 Base Attack is nothing to scoff at, and it does have alright coverage, so it definitely can pack a punch as well! The applications aren't the best, but I think making something on the nicher side, every once in a while, may be a good call!
Flavor Corner - Mega Cacturne is inspired on scarecrows! Its ability makes Flying-type Pokémon scared to attack it, and also taunts them due to their fear. Obviously, a scarecrow isn't scary only to birds, so other Pokémon also get a bit scared with an Intimidate-like effect! That's about it this time ^^

Mega Hawlucha

Ability - Limber, Unburden; Mold Breaker ➝ Sacrifice To The Sun (When the user faints by direct damage, the Pokémon sent out to replace it has its Attack and Special Attack raised by one stage each.)

HP - 78 ➝ 78
Atk
- 92 ➝ 111 (+19)
Def - 75 ➝ 111 (+36)
SpA - 74 ➝ 78 (+4)
SpD - 63 ➝ 74 (+11)
Spe - 118 ➝ 148 (+30)
BST - 500 ➝ 600 (+100)

Movepoll Changes - n/a
Competitive Corner - While Mega Hawlucha is no dead weight, where it really shines (get it? it's a sun pun) is with its ability. After Mega Hawlucha has done its job, positioning it to faint in a way that gives another one of your Pokémon an Attack or Special Attack boost while facing a Pokémon it can take advantage of, can be game changing, or even game winning! Of course, Mega Hawlucha's owns stats are nothing to scoff at either, it can be quite the threat with a blistering speed tier, Swords Dance, and great offensive coverage, but the real threat is whatever Pokémon comes after it faints! Which creates a very interesting dynamic of play for your opponent, which hopefully isn't stupidly broken and unhealthy? We'll see :P (I don't wanna be known as the guy that makes the broken Flying-types hahaha!)
Flavor Corner - The flavor here may seem like a long shot, at first, but it makes perfect sense after you think about it, for a bit. Hawlucha, aside from being inspired on luchadores, is also inspired on Aztec Eagle Warriors! Which from Aztec culture, sacrifice themselves in war to protect their people and appease the Sun God! Hawlucha's efforts in battle are noted, and its ally is given a boost as it comes into battle! Representing Hawlucha's sacrifice! It's a little weird, and maybe not too children friendly, but I can assure you, there are real Pokémon out there with much more mature origins! All things considered, this seems like a nice way to pay homage to Aztec culture which plays a very interesting part on Hawlucha's origins!

Mega Araquanid

Ability - Water Bubble; Water Absorb ➝ Fishing Web (This ability:
  • Doubles the power of Water-type moves used by the Pokémon with this Ability.
  • Makes it so a foe, after being hit by a Water-type move by the user, can't switch out for as long as the user remains on the battlefield.
  • Makes Water-type moves from the user lower the foe's Speed by one stage.
)

HP - 68 ➝ 68
Atk
- 70 ➝ 84 (+14)
Def - 92 ➝ 120 (+28)
SpA - 50 ➝ 72 (+22)
SpD - 132 ➝ 144 (+12)
Spe - 42 ➝ 66 (+24)
BST - 454➝ 554 (+100)

Movepoll Changes - n/a
Competitive Corner - Mega Araquanid's speed still leaves a lot to be desired, and the Attack boost doesn't come close to reaching the power found with Choice Band sets, but the ability to lower speed with your Water-type moves, and trap the foe, does make it likely Araquanid will end up outspeeding them, especially with Sticky Web it can set up itself! The added bulk can also go a long way on ensuring this thing's longevity, and makes it a much more reliable Sticky Web setter! Although, wasting your Mega Slot on your Sticky Web user may not be the brightest of ideas.
Flavor Corner - Araquanid is based on the diving bell spider, but in reverse, whereas it lives on the land and brings with itself a bubble of water to help it breathe on the surface. By extention, and continuing with the "in reverse" motif, how would be the web of a spider that came from the sea? Well, of course it'd be a fishing net, but made up of Water instead of nylon or whatever! The association between spider webs and fishing nets should already be evident due to their shape and similar function (catching prey), but this design takes it a step further and incorporates that idea by having a sea creature use it to capture land creatures, the opposite of what humans do with their fishing nets! That should explain why Mega Araquanid's ability is Water Bubble plus Water-type moves get a Spider Web effect and an Electroweb effect! At first I was pretty clueless on what to do for an Araquanid design, but I'm really happy with how this came out :) Also, I'm aware Fishing Web is, like, five abilities in one, but Water Bubble already does this on a smaller extent, so I thought keeping the original ability and adding stuff on top would make sense for this Pokémon exclusively, not something I'd wanna do with other designs.

Last edited:
Hello guys, i'm new here. Been playing some games...
I'll try to elaborate some megas :S
Btw, I'm not a native speaker so please ignore any errors D:

:Cacturne:
Mega Cacturne
Type: Grass Dark
Abiltiy:
Desert Demon
This pokemon's speed is raised by 1 stage at the end of the turn, if Sand Storm is activated. Sand Storm immunity.

Mega Stone: Cacturnite

Stats:
HP: 70
ATK: 115 (-)
DEF: 90 (+35)
SPA: 130 (+15)
SPD: 70 (+10)
SPE: 95 (+40)

Movepool Changes:
Scorching Sands, Darkest Lariat.

Competitive corner: Mega Cacturne will serve as a sand mixed attacker (mostly special) that counter water types.

Flavor corner: Yes, Cacturne is the scarecrow pokemon. However, the pokedex states that it is a nocturnal hunter in deserts, seeking for preys that are debilitaded by the intense heat. It also states that during the day, it is stationary and doesn't like moving. So it makes sense beeing a special based attacker and having Desert Demon as it ability, since sand storms would make it more active covering the sun. It's a nocturnal demon that hunts tired and weakned prey, at night, and feeds on them using the deadly sands of the desert.

---------------------------
:Hawlucha:
Mega Hawlucha
Type: Fighting Flying
Abiltiy: Phoenix Pride

If Sunny Day is active, this pokemon's Fighting and Flying moves power are 1.3x. Recovers 6% HP per turn in sun.
Mega Stone: Hawluchite

Stats:
ATK: 115 (+23)
DEF: 85 (+10)
SPA: 114 (+30)
SPD: 90 (+27)
SPE: 128 (+10)

Movepool Changes:
Aura Sphere, Mystical Fire, Air Slash, Morning Sun, Vacuum Wave.

Competitive corner: Mega Hawlucha aproaches his Aztec Eagle Warrior roots with Phoenix Pride granting it's stabs moves boosts from the Sun God that those warriors praise. It can be a either physical or special attacker (it already has Calm Mind) or both. It competes with Zard-Y for Sun Teams, however it is neutral to rocks, and can threaten them with fighting stab. It's no dead weight against Chansey/Blissey like Venusaur, Volcarona and Zard-Y too, if you want it to run Special, because you can just spam 150 BP Close Combats and Brave Birds in sun.

Flavor corner: As stated, hawlucha is also based on the Aztec Eagle Warriors, that fight for their Sun God. This mega is blessed by the sun. It looks a lot more golden, with an intense red mask. There is no longer green.

-------------

:Araquanid:
Mega Araquanid
Type: Bug Water
Abiltiy:
Water Capsule
This pokemon covers itself in a capsule that colect's water. If this pokemon is hit by a water-type attack, it's attack is raised by 1 stage. Water immunity.
Mega Stone: Araquanite

Stats:
HP: 68
ATK: 116 (+46)
DEF: 120 (+28)
SPA: 50 (-)
SPD: 140 (+8)
SPE: 60 (+18)

Movepool Changes: none

Competitive corner:
Water Bubble by itseif is a pretty broken ability, and it's hard to make an substitute to it. However, with Water Capsule, Araquanid can make a better use of it's bug stab, while comming at bulky waters and setting webs.

Flavor corner: Araquanid is just a water spider who creates a bubble around it's own face with water and webs. This time she covers her entiere body and keeps it's capsule by collecting water-type attacks that are fired at her.

Well, that's it! Hope everything is ok. Ty for reading all of it haha

Edit:
Nerfed Desert Demon
Adjusted Mega Cacturne stats and movepool changes.
Water Capsule changed.
Adjusted Mega Araquanid stats.
Changed Mega Hawlucha.

Last edited:
To correct my mistake (sorry about the golurk stuff btw):
Mega Cacturne:
TYPE: Grass and Dark
ABILITY: Scarecrow (Flying moves have no effect)
NEW MOVES: Baneful bunker/Drum beating
ATTK: 160 (+45)
DFNCE: 75 (+15)
SPA: 140 (+25
SPDEF: 75 (+15)
SPEED: 55

DESCRIPTION:
As an early game wall breaker, It can prove to be very useful and helps keeps flying types back against the wall. But with baneful bunker and meh dfnce, It can poison annoying targets that have bad attacking stats.

Mega Araquanid
1611204023286.png

Water, Bug
Ability: Bubble Burst - The first time this Pokemon makes contact with its opponent or its opponent makes contract with it, it damages the target for one quarter of its health, and it's speed is raised by one stage. This ability is refreshed once if rain is active. (Think of an offensive version of Eiscue's ability, minus the form change).

Stats:
68/132(+62)/132(swapped w/ SpD)/50/92(swapped w/ Def)/80(+38)

New Moves: Fell Stinger, Megahorn, Flip Turn, Work Up, Uturn

I mean the theme is pretty simple. The bubble popped. To solve the issue of Araquanid needing to breathe, perhaps the mega design could have bubbles on Araquanids arms and legs which pop, rather than the one around its head. In battle Araquanid gains access to a liquidation that is 145 base power, and a flip turn that is 120 base power, albeit only once. With its bubble burst, Araquanid hits 426 stat with max investment, leaving it just outsped by base 145 mons. However because switching out removes the speed boost, and it won't reset the bubble just by switching in and out, Araquanid can't really act as a revenge killer and has no priority. It mainly wants to play as a rain sweeper, whom can launch off a ridiculously powerful first attack which raises it's speed before cleaning up mid to late game. It can't really sweep outside of rain due to its poor set up moves, but I gave it workup if you really want to try.

Mega Cacturne
1611207645012.png

Grass, Dark
Ability: Ravaging Thorns - When this Pokemon attacks with a contact move or is hit by a contact move, the targets will be given a sticky barb (assuming they are not holding an item)

Stats: 70/125(+10)/150(+90)/115/60/55

New Moves: Knock Off, Toxic Spikes, Spike Cannon (mainly flavour)

Every contact move Cacturne goes for is now better knock off. Sticky Barb is a cool item that for the most part makes sense with Cacturne, but honestly I just thought this was a cool idea. Perhaps it's Pokedex entry could be something like, it hunts by piercing it's prey with sharp barbs, and then stands silently as it's prey struggles helplessly to remove them Additionally Cacturne can now constantly go for full powered stab knock off, because the knock off will knock off the targets item, and then give the target the sticky barb, which you can then knock off them the next turn. The Pokemon still has a terrible speed stat and defensive typing, but with sticky barb + toxic spikes + Leech Seed and it's better defenses it can chip things down really well too .

Mega Hawlucha
1611209325822.png

Fighting, Flying
Ability: Fighter's Resolve - This Pokemon's speed increases for every attack it sustains that knocks it below 33% health

Stats: 78/147(+55)/90(+15)/74/90(+27)/121(+3)

The ability is meant to symbolise the 'clutch' or comeback factor that often makes people root for a specific competitor, as it makes every match close and entertaining. This allows it to still perform as a setup sweeper like it does in its base form. It can try to activate it's ability by running endure reversal, or can just try to rely on its bulk as it won't really have to invest in speed.

That's it! Sorry if I broke any of the rules.

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
:cacturne: Cacturne Mega
New Ability: Leech Needles — Iron Barbs clone that heal the user by the amount of damage inflicted.
Type:

Stats: 70 / 125 (+10) / 140 (+80) / 125 (+10) / 60 / 55
New Moves: Strength Sap
Description: Mon that roughly gives your opponent the feeling of punching a cactus. Spoiler, that aint really satisfying.

:hawlucha: Hawlucha Mega
New Ability: Regenerator
Type:

Stats: 78 / 112 (+20) / 90 (+15) / 94 (+20) / 88 (+25) / 138 (+20)
New Moves: Encore, Stealth Rock
Description: We tend to forget Hawlucha has a really interesting pivot movepool: U-turn, Defog, Taunt, and lots of situational coverage options. This sub aims to shine a new light on that part of lucha.

Last edited:

A heel doesn't play by your rules
:hawlucha: Mega Hawlucha
New Ability: Dynamic
Entry
When this pokemon switches in it repeats status moves made by the opponent, immune to taunt and intimidate.
Type:
->

New stats:
Atk: 92 -> 130 (+ 38)
Def: 75 - > 110 (+35)
SpA: 74 -> 90 (+ 16)
SpD: 63 -> 70 (+7)
Spe: 118 -> 122 (+4)
BST: 500 -> 600

New moves
: Darkest Lariat, Pursuit, Parting Shot, Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, Sand Attack, Fake Out

Description: While hawlucha excels at getting in in the late game under terrain and sweeping,
this mega form shines at a different game plan, aggressive switch-ins into passive moves get rewarded
with setting an even (or uneven) ground. Taunt ? Hawlucha just taunts back the opponent, toxic ?
Both of us are going down now, trick room ? tricked back. This mega shines when sent aggressively
against set-up. Since the move repeat only happens on switch in and it doesn't nullify the opponent's move like
magic bounce this ability requires more thought on its use, but being capable of copying recover, substitute or
swords dance when switching in more than make up for this downside. Steal the spotlight!

This ability is the equivalent to using copycat against status moves while under the effect of after you when
you switch-in; In doubles this pokemon will only copy the move used by the opponent in front of it,
not the moves used by both opponents. this pokemon always does the move after its opponent does
regardless of priority (can be protect and move at +4 or trick room and move at -7) and will always target the opponent
in front (IE: if amoonguss is in front of hawlucha and uses spore to the pokemon at the side of hawlucha,
hawlucha will use spore on amoonguss). This ability can backfire with moves like Acupressure since it will boost your opponent.

It has a notorious desire to stalk its prey. Its painful touch is all that remains from its previous form.
:cacturne: Mega Cacturne
New Abilit
y: Rough Skin
Type:
->

New stats:
Atk: 115 -> 120 (+5)
Def: 60 - > 100 (+40)
SpA: 115 -> 120 (+5)
SpD: 60 -> 65 (+5)
Spe: 55 -> 100 (+45)
BST: 475 -> 575

New moves
: Shore Up, Scorching Sands, Stone Edge, Knock Off, Pursuit
Description: With that speed, ability to use either attack stat and access to moves like leech seed and shore up.
this mega form can stand out as a fast spike setter with recovery or a setup sweeper vs slower teams.

Last edited:
Mega Araquanid
Bug/Water

Ability:Parasite(If this Pokemon uses a bug-type move and if opponent is heavier than Mega-Araquanid, it will copy the opponent's stats and stat boosts.)

Stats:
Attack: 90(+20)
Defense: 132(+50)
Sp. Atk: 50
Sp. Def: 172(+40)
Speed: 32(-10)

Mega-Hawlucha
Fighting/Dark
Ability:Moonlight Wings(This pokemon's dark-type moves have %50 chance for flinch Fairy-type Pokemons. Fairy immunity.)

Stats:
Attack: 122(+30)
Defense: 105(+30)
Sp. Atk: 74
Sp. Def: 103(+40)
Speed: 118

:bw/cacturne:
Mega-Cacturne
Grass/Bug
New Moves:Shell Smash
Ability:Skill Link
Stats:

Attack: 125(+10)
Defense: 100 (+40)
Sp. Atk: 125(+10)
Sp. Def: 100(+40)
Speed: 55
Description:Now,its hat transforms into shell.

Hey, everyone! This is a somewhat brief announcement post this time - I'm sorry there's not a ton of exciting news just yet, but I've just been waiting for a lot of things to happen for a while now and it seems like there's no chance that they will happen before an announcement needs to be made, so I will talk about the near future instead. .w.

Uh, I mentioned this on the Discord earlier, but in case it wasn't obvious, submissions... did not, in fact, close yesterday as was planned, haha. The submission phase is being extended by one full day, due in part to personal circumstances that kept me from closing submissions today and in part due to... the aforementioned waiting - I was reeeally hoping certain things would happen well before the submission phase had to close, but they still have not.
Given that it's alright with everyone (it seemed like a lot of people were on board with it on the Discord!), I think that five days (instead of four days) will be the new standard length for the submission phase, because I can already tell this sort of thing is going to happen a lot, now that we have more and more happening in the mod and I've had less free time to spend on it.

A couple of minor updates, though!

:exploud::noivern::toxtricity::toxtricity-low-key:

First super quick update:
Slate 26 is live on main Showdown at last! That also means that
Dragonite's Mega Stone has been renamed to Dragonitite I've been asking for this on and off since like last August, and the latest balance changes and the Spectrier ban are included as well!
As previously noted, the new Mega Stones are :exploud: Exploudite, :noivern: Noivernite and :toxtricity: Toxtricitite :toxtricity-low-key: - you can review all of the information on our available Mega Evolutions on the spreadsheet if you need it! C:

:hawlucha::hawlucha::hawlucha:

Next thing: the submission sandbox for the current slate iiis still not live, and while I was hoping the extension would give people the chance to test before they closed for good, it seems like it still won't be happening before we just have to close submissions and move on. I just want to emphasize that I submitted it nearly two days ago now and I am just as frustrated as anyone else that it's not available yet. OTL
Due to personal circumstances and lack of time over the next week at least, I don't anticipate being able to offer the sandbox for next slate; I hope this is okay with everyone! On that note, though, I would like to reiterate that the first sandbox (slate 25) was meant as a test run and not necessarily to debut it as a guaranteed permanent addition. I'm getting the impression that this might not be all that sustainable anyway in the long term, and I will give an update on its status in the near future - just know that it will definitely not be back for slate 28, haha.

:slowking::reuniclus::rillaboom:

Second thing: it's also not live yet aaa, but M4A Doubles is getting a bit of an overhaul! After some discussion with some respected members of our community, we've made the choice to move it from a Doubles OU-based format to an M4A VGC ruleset.
For a bit of context, our format is currently like... very vaguely derivative of DOU, but given that a Natdex DOU doesn't currently exist (or didn't at the time), and also given that I don't personally have any prior experience in DOU and it's much less obvious to me what needs to be banned and what does not, the ruleset is a weird hybrid of Gen VII DOU and Gen VIII DOU, as recreated by someone who has played neither. XP
It seems like it's almost never played as it is, and while admittedly I'm aware that an overwhelming majority of Smogon and Pet Mods players prefer singles and it will always be a niche format, this seemed like the right call to make our potentially interested players happy. There are a lot of cool elements of VGC that can't be experienced anywhere else, so I for one am super interested to try learning the format and hopefully there will be a few more opponents this time!
At the moment, this is a non-Dynamax format with a ruleset most closely inspired by VGC 2017 (a National Dex-based format with Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves, but no Restricted Pokémon and no Mythical Pokémon), but of course Generation VIII Pokémon, moves and items are allowed, too!
One thing we weren't totally sure about was whether (or to what extent) to limit learnsets. For total accuracy to the format as Game Freak usually handles it, it would appear to make the most sense to limit Pokémon to moves they can learn in the most current Generation - but some Pokémon don't exist in Generation VIII or even have official Generation VIII learnsets, while others deliberately lost moves in the transition between the Generations, so it's difficult to accommodate for both groups.
At the moment, any set that would be legal between Generation VII and Generation VIII is allowed with no issues, but is this the right call? We're probably going to have further discussion in the near future (or perhaps just a poll!) to decide between this, an attempt at limiting Pokémon to moves that exist in Generation VIII, or just the same (complete) learnsets as our main format and National Dex OU, which is probably the simplest and most accessible option even if it's not quite accurate to how VGC usually works. Feel free to join us on the Discord to talk about this if you have any concerns or alternative proposals!

:hawlucha::cacturne::araquanid:

Next up, I think it would be best to give some last-minute feedback on submissions before they close!

Ema Skye: this is a super minor flavor thing and not a competitive issue, so you're not required and it's not a veto, but would you consider removing Poltergeist from your Cacturne? Aside from the fact that it would never make use of it, that's a move that only goes to Ghost-type Pokémon in canon (and has pretty specific flavor with nothing to do with Cacturne), and neither base Cacturne nor your Mega are Ghost-types, so it's not realistic for it to have that. That said, I like your Cacturne as a whole and I don't have a problem with anything else about it!! That was just one thing that stood out to me as maybe worth recommending to change? .w.

ChoiceScarfed:
Hi! This is more a clarifying question than a request - I notice that your :hawlucha: Hawlucha's description says the "first move in its moveslot changes," but you don't go into that anywhere. Was this meant to be replaced with an -ate effect like Mossy brought up, or did you have something else in mind?
(For what it's worth, I think it would be pretty unwieldy to change mid-battle based on moveset order, so I would lean away from the effect you seem to be describing rather than going back to finish it - but I do think changing the type of its Normal-type moves, or even its Flying-type moves, to match the terrain would be a good way to accomplish what you want!)
I like it a lot in general, though!!! This is a cool way to tie Hawlucha's flavor in with the Pokémon it usually pairs with in battle!

Your :cacturne: Cacturne unfortunately strikes me as a little... over the top and sort of convoluted? I actually love the general idea that its Ability sometimes hurts it and sometimes makes up for that depending on the opponent's HP - that's super unique and reflects its flavor really well! - but I think this goes a little bit too far in the negative direction by committing to Slow Start, then makes too many things happen at once trying to make up for it.
I would maybe pick one of the effects you like the most and create a dichotomy out of just that - like, I notice that you have an Attack buff to cancel out the Attack drop from Slow Start, paralyze the foe to cancel out the Speed drop from Slow Start and trap the foe to help with stalling for turns. That's actually really clever and I love the way you made these effects mirror each other!! But I also think a Pokémon being trapped and paralyzed at once just because Cacturne switched in on it at low HP sort of takes too much control away from the other player; it punishes them very heavily and very permanently for something that's supposed to happen very often, you know?
I think something subtler, like making it start with one stat decreased if its opponent has high HP or increased Attack if its opponent has low HP - or the same for Speed instead (that would go well with Swords Dance!) - would probably get across the idea you want without going to quite such an extreme? Or you could give it an effect like the reverse of Berserk - raising one of its stats when it takes an opponent below half HP, so it sort of snowballs in a unique way that sticks with the above half/below half idea you had!
I think this has a lot of potential and I love the premise so far - I just think it could be a little more streamlined and a little more friendly to the other player!

Also, I want to say, uh... thank you so much for trying so hard to guide new members and being so responsible about it!
I'm really impressed, and I'm sorry that I didn't have as much patience with you when you were starting out.

sovietsympathizer: Really small clarifying question on your Araquanid! Is Refreshing Tides meant to restore 20% of Araquanid's maximum HP, or 20% of the amount that would have been healed? It looked on the Discord like you expected it to be healing a lot with this (notably turning Life Dew into something close to Recover, I think?), so I just thought I should make sure I was understanding it correctly - if it is just multiplying the recovery by 1.2x, I would encourage you to go a lot higher, personally! (DrPumpkinz was right to say that doubling the amount of HP restored would be fine and actually pretty cool on this!)
also I love your description it's adorable I love this

AP5Fanboy: I know it's only 5 points and it really shouldn't matter, but your Cacturne sub doooes break the optics rules on stats in the tiniest way, and it doesn't seem to me like that was at all necessary to accomplish what you wanted - could you possibly take 5 points out of any other stat and put them back into Special Attack so your sub follows the rules?

VoolPool: I am okay with your :hawlucha: Hawlucha as you have it, but I am not okay with the Abilities on either of your other two.
Your :araquanid: Araquanid definitely has way too many effects, and they're all ones that would be amazing on their own - total status immunity nearly identical to Comatose without the flavor drawbacks (and a much better version of Leaf Guard and Hydration), which is extremely good against stall all by itself; boosting its STABs by 1.5 times is just better Adaptability; and passively reducing all direct damage is basically just ignoring the stat limits and raising Defense and Special Defense more than you said you did. Any of these effects on their own would be very good Abilities on this if you tried to do the middle one even by itself, I would still stop you and ask you to use Adaptability instead - that's already a very strong Ability, but they have no reason at all to go together and there isn't even any meaningful drawback here. Please don't just slap every strong effect you can think of onto an Ability - it's not good practice at all. We are all about streamlining here, not about making the strongest thing you can; you can make a better sub if you take what's most necessary and most unique and work with it in a creative way.
Your :cacturne: Cacturne is also a problem in my eyes - setting random hazards unconditionally at the end of every turn, while being designed to stall and last many turns, is just... too much? You're very easily going to set every possible layer of all of these without even trying - you can just wait several turns by healing, using Spiky Shield or setting up and your opponent can't stop you from setting them. I think you've definitely underestimated this effect, since you didn't even mention it in your description, but it's easily the most problematic part of the submission. You should ideally pick just one of these three possible hazards and make Cacturne set them by doing something more active.

Slaty fildrong: I uh... I would not support this Cacturne even after your nerf. This Ability makes it so that, if you can get it in against anything it beats at all, it not only becomes impossible to switch anything in on it safely but actively worse to do that than just to stay in and let it KO. This has the potential to be super uncompetitive and harshly limits the other player's options in a way that severely limits team styles and can sometimes let Cacturne just win a game at preview, which isn't something we can allow. The first take was definitely worse and please don't just change it back, but this one also can't be allowed, I'm afraid;;
(Also, please don't take other artists' work without making sure you have their permission and crediting them! I can tell you didn't make the file you attached, and you need to make sure it's okay with them to repost it - and provide a source so we know it is! We can't use this anyway because we make our own designs here, and this one doesn't belong to any of us any more than it belongs to you, so I don't know why you even posted it, but it's really important to be respectful of the artist if you do.)

PalpitoadChamp: Oh, uh! I do like your other two, but on :araquanid: Araquanid--
I did (try to) give you this feedback on the Discord, but I think you may only have gotten part of it - I really don't think this needs to be anything but an immediate one-time stat change when activated, personally. It just feels a bit inconsistent and unnecessary for some of these effects to repeat over the course of several turns when others don't. I would strongly prefer for this to modify the affected Pokémon's stats just once each time it uses a Water move; it would be a lot neater that way.

Yago2012: After discussing a bit on the Discord, we came to the conclusion that it would be okay for your :araquanid: Araquanid to have either Flip Turn or Recover, but not both - the combination of the two makes this too safe to use, consistent at making progress and difficult to punish, but either one on its own would tentatively be okay. Could you possibly pick the one you like more and drop the other?

greyllama8: I think your :cacturne: Cacturne has a lot more moves than it needs that wouldn't make sense for its base form to use, so I would reevaluate which of these you think are most necessary to it. also I think you still have 20 more points to add
I'mmm also just going to make the executive decision to veto/ignore your :hawlucha: Hawlucha because it's almost exactly the same as StarFalcon555's but with move changes that don't make any sense on it.

stinky potato: Maaay I suggest Hydration? It's a very comparable effect with basically the same flavor, but it seems more practical to me. I don't think anyone uses burn for the damage it does (the part Araquanid cares about is the Attack reduction), freeze can't reliably be shortened because it doesn't have a set duration, and the idea of this just being Early Bird but more effects doesn't sit well with me; it would be more focused if you stuck with the idea an Ability that protected from or cured status and made something more clear-cut and reliable out of it, and Hydration looks close to what you want here and already exists.

lydian: sorry I think you were already given some advice on the Discord and just haven't gotten to implement it so you might already know this but
I think I would lean away from including regular Intimidate in your Cacturne's Ability and from including every effect of regular Water Bubble in your Araquanid's - we reeeally try hard to avoid doing just "Ability but better" or "multiple Abilities in one" here when we can avoid it, and it looks like both of these kinda fall prey to that.
Your Cacturne's Ability has a lot more going for it than its similarity to Intimidate, so I think it would be better to commit to the more unique side of it - it doesn't need to be a straight upgrade of Intimidate (which is something to avoid and which will reflect badly on the Ability and the mod) to work, because the more important part of its concept doesn't rely on that and it has more than enough potential to stand on its own.
Your Araquanid meanwhile... kinda does a ton of things at once, and Water Bubble is already notorious for having a lot more effects than any other Ability; rather than taking that exactly as it is and purely adding onto it, it would be best to go for something more streamlined that accomplishes more with less? I wouldn't mind passively boosting Water moves and applying one other effect to Water moves, but doing all of this at once is definitely too much, not because of the power level but because of the complexity and optics issues of the Ability. It looks like that was a conscious choice on your part, but I really think it's a problematic one and I don't think it works;;
At the least, I would probably drop the Fire resistance and burn immunity; boosting Water moves, trapping and lowering Speed after using a Water move at least have a clear throughline of Water moves, while the other two aren't bridged and don't belong as part of the same group.

StealthGhost: I'm afraid a lot of concerns were brought up with all three of your subs, but I'm not really in a position to write any more than I already have right now (for context, this is the last thing I'm writing in this post chronologically - I've jumped around a lot) - I can follow up in the thread later, but would you care to join the Discord so other people can give you feedback in the meantime? I understand if not, but I just thought I should let you know in case that's more convenient for you! Thanks for understanding and I will talk more when I'm back if you haven't gotten to see anyone about them yet C:

:araquanid:

I also have a couple of subs of my own! I posted this Araquanid on the Discord ages ago and got great feedback on and then was waiting to post in the thread until it was time to make an announcement I expected that to be sooner too XP

:araquanid: Mega Araquanid
New Ability: Water Bubble/Water Absorb -> Body of Water
(Mega Araquanid's Water-type moves are calculated using its Defense instead of Attack and its Special Defense instead of Special Attack.)
Type: Water/Bug

New Stats:
Attack: 70
Defense: 92 -> 147 (+55)
Special Attack: 50
Special Defense: 132 -> 177 (+45)
Speed: 42
(554 BST)

New moves: Hypnosis, Life Dew, Pain Split, Purify
Description:
First of all, GrandSmasher suggested this for the Ability name and I love it
That's a fantastic pun

So, uh... as I think most of the M4A regulars know by now, Araquanid is pretty close to being my favorite Pokémon ever!
This isn't just because of its mechanics, but they're no small part of it - it's on basically all of my teams except my Slowking one but only because Trick Room does not mix with webs D: and I find every excuse possible to use it because it's just so much fun. I love the way it adds an offensive twist to a traditionally supportive role, in a way that takes thought to use and puts more pressure on the opponent because the Pokémon that can interfere with its support may not be the same ones that can actually afford to switch in on it.
I was pretty excited for this slate, and I'm hoping I have something that does justice to it, without taking a radical departure from its style or undermining what makes me like it but also without being totally obvious and while bringing something new to the table.

This Ability with these stats might look pretty crazy on paper, but hear me out a bit! There are more tradeoffs at work here than it looks.
First of all, as I said, Araquanid is set apart by the offensive edge it brings to its role - and that comes down almost entirely to its base form's Ability, Water Bubble. Water Bubble doubles the power of its Water-type moves (and incidentally comes with a handy immunity to burns, which is excellent for it because its base form is physically offensive), which accounts for basically all of its breaking power; as low as its base 70 Attack looks on the surface, its 170 BP Liquidations are more than enough to pressure its opponents.
The reason I bring up the importance of Water Bubble is that this Mega Araquanid doesn't have that - and while it may be firing Liquidations from base 147 Defense and Scalds from base 177 Special Defense, its breaking power with its most reliable moves is actually only around the same level as its base form - it's actually slightly less for most of its important moves! Water Bubble really carries it that far by itself - while this Ability might look at a glance like an extreme way to cheat and give Araquanid four crazy stats instead of two, I promise it's balanced carefully around it and it's not going any further offensively than Water Bubble itself.

But if it's not giving an advantage in breaking power, what does this Ability do for it?
On one level, Body of Water is an excuse for Araquanid to commit alllll the way to investing in its bulk, because it no longer has to spend its EVs and nature on Attack to reach its maximum offensive potential. This bulk increase is pretty substantial relative to base Araquanid with that in mind - given that base Araquanid doesn't usually invest in Defense or Special Defense in my experience, you can end up with up to twice as much invested bulk as the base form on the physical side, or up to about 62% more on the special side, depending which side you choose to prioritize with EVs.
In exchange for this... well, like I said, there are tradeoffs - in this case, you may get a lot of bulk, but you lose access to Heavy-Duty Boots, which are pretty important to base Araquanid. Mega Araquanid can be super rewarding, but it requires good hazard control from its teammates to come in reliably to take hits.
There's one other cool thing about the Ability, though - while Araquanid's offenses are physically biased, its defenses, which matter here, are specially inclined instead! Through that change, Body of Water indirectly grants Araquanid access to one of the most dangerous tools a defensive Water-type can have. While its breaking power may be just shy of its base form's Liquidations, Mega Araquanid doesn't need to rely on Liquidation any more - its best move is Scald, a reliable spammable move loved by defensive Water-types for how much it deters physical attackers from coming in. Burns are a status Araquanid would appreciate a lot, but running Scald comes at much too high a cost for its base form, so it doesn't really have the opportunity to exploit it.

It's possible that it will need the help later, and we're always open to buffing things later as they come up, but I'm tentatively opting not to give Araquanid fully reliable recovery for the time being, because I think it's more interesting when it requires more thought to use effectively.
Instead, its most relevant new moves are Pain Split on the downright brilliant suggestion of BlueRay, slotting in neatly for the base form's Attack-reliant Leech Life and giving it a way to restore some of its HP and make the most of its impressive bulk without being the most consistent walling option, and maybe (though it's not the most reliable) Hypnosis, a fairly rare option among webbers that pairs well with Mega Araquanid's other enhanced status spreading and can occasionally help it to neutralize the threats that think they can come in safely on it if used carefully.
For fun but niche and mostly flavorful options, I also felt like adding Life Dew, which it will probably not use in singles but suits its behavior of supporting other Pokémon by sharing its bubble with them and also meshes well with its substantially increased bulk, and Purify, which...
... okay realistically it will probably not use Purify either but hear me out okay--
The only Pokémon that has Purify right now has that and Recover, so it's never been worth trying to exploit it in singles. There's no reason to pull off wacky status techs to try to squeeze every bit of longevity you can out of a Pyukumuku - if you're not using Purify primarily to cure your allies, you can will always just fall back on Recover. Araquanid doesn't have that option, and it does have three different ways to set three different status conditions itself and the potential to rely on ally support like Toxic Spikes to try to enable Purify.
It sounds really unwieldy and I don't think many people would seriously choose it over Pain Split or... well... any better move Araquanid has to offer (it's not like it's struggling to fill its moveslots!), but it just sounds so much more engaging than Recover in a casual environment and like the kind of move that would be fun to have when you're messing around, and it suits Araquanid's nature quite well.

It's probably obvious by now that I'm not setting out to create something radically meta-shaping and epic here, but I think this could be a fun Mega to use, and I hope it offers enough over its base form to be worth considering while sticking close to what makes me love Araquanid so much. C:

---

New Ability: Sand Veil/Water Absorb -> Coup de Grass
(When using a single-target move, if the intended target's HP is one half or less, Mega Cacturne acts immediately, moving at the first possible opportunity within its priority bracket.)

New Stats:
Attack: 115
Defense: 60 -> 115 (+55)
Special Attack: 115
Special Defense: 60 -> 105 (+45)
(575 BST)

New moves: Assurance, Knock Off, Strength Sap
Description:
The wise people of the Discord have decreed that I should go sleep now, so this is not gonna be nearly as long a description as Araquanid, oops
In short, though, this is sort of the same idea that's inspired many of the other subs - the fact that Cacturne are known for lurking silently and motionlessly until their opponents are worn down, then striking decisively to take them down when they're weak.
In a singles context, the main set this would run is probably the combination of Strength Sap and either Swords Dance or Nasty Plot to boost safely super fun combination on Vileplume by the way I have used it before, paired with a spammable STAB (like Knock Off on Swords Dance sets) and... either another attack or some way to wear down opponents or make progress over time, like Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, Spikes or Toxic (probably Toxic? I would do Toxic) until they're in range of its Ability.
Knock is one of the most spammable moves in the game and it can get away with running it as its only attack if it wants to commit to the biding-its-time lifestyle, but it would probably help to have a coverage move to complement it!
One convenient thing about this Mega Cacturne is that it doesn't necessarily need to bother investing in Speed, so its bulk should definitely be more than workable for what it is!

Incidentally, in doubles, all bets are off - this can attack just as soon as its target falls into range and can potentially pull off crazy offensive combinations without needing to bide its time too long. Assurance on this sounds fun as heck and I would so use it.

It's totally coincidental but still very funny that this has exactly the same stat changes as my Araquanid I swear it wasn't on purpose

Okay so I'm gonna disappear for a few hours now I think haha
but as noted, submissions are still open for at least a day from the time it was supposed to close (midnight last night in GMT, so about four hours from now), and you'll prooobably have until a bit later than that under the circumstances
There will be a few more announcements, including the next slate, next slate poll, balance changes, and information on a tournament being hosted by BitBitio this Saturday (but check the Discord if you want the details now!), alongside the voting phase - check back for more updates then! C:

edit: removed the initial criticism of the avatar I recognized as a white supremacist icon and a popular symbol of the alt right, because apparently this may be a more benign usage of said icon and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with that? I'm still personally against it and would encourage treating it with more sensitivity and taking into account the societal connotations of the way you represent yourself, but the biting comment was uncalled for and I apologize

Last edited:

Mossy Sandwich

Gunning for the top
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
:rs/cacturne:
New Ability
: Technician

New stats: 70/135/80/125/80/85
HP: 70 (+0)
Attack: 115 --> 135 (+20)
Defense: 60 --> 80 (+20)
Special Attack: 115 --> 125 (+10)
Special Defense: 60 --> 80 (+20)
Speed: 55 --> 85 (+30)
(BST) 475 --> 575

New moves: Pursuit, Beat Up, Assurance, Rock Tomb
Description: When I was looking at Cacturne's movepool, I noticed many low bp moves, notably bullet seed, pin missile and its signature move, Needle Arm. Now, Cacturne's movepool is still heavily lacking so I added some more low bp moves to abuse. Beat Up is a very interesting move to pair with technician since it will always hit 6 times if your entire party is still alive making it very high consistent damage. Pursuit and Assurance don't get any stronger if their damage boosting effect activate but Technician makes them less risky to use as they will still have decent power even if their damage isn't boosted. Rock Tomb is a way to hit flying types or to lower the speed of an opponent switching in so that cacturne may outspeed them.

In terms of competitive use, Cacturne's damage output is very high with Bullet Seed averaging around 112.5 bp but going up to 187.5 which is stronger than V-Create. Beat Up can be expected to hit around 110-120 on an average team if all 6 pokemons are alive. If your goal is to maximize beat up's damage though, it can deal up to 184.5 bp of damage consistently but that's assuming you're using it alongside kartana, regigigas, slaking, rampardos and haxorus. Technician boosted Hidden Powers paired with it's decent spatk allows it to bait and K.O. pokemons like Heatran, Magearna or Ferrothorn.

New Ability
: Domination (When this pokemon damages another with a contact move, the target loses 1 stage in attack.)

New stats: 78/102/115/74/103/128
HP: 78 (+0)
Attack: 92 --> 102 (+10)
Defense: 75 --> 115 (+40)
Special Attack: 74 (+0)
Special Defense: 63 --> 103 (+40)
Speed: 118 --> 128 (+10)
(BST) 500 --> 600

New moves: Thunderous Kick, Double Kick, Triple Kick, Skitter Smack
Description: When Mega-Hawlucha attacks its opponent, the opponent becomes less and less confident as Hawlucha is clearly winning the battle. Paired with old moves such as Dual Wingbeat, Low Kick and U-Turn as well as all the new ones, Mega-Hawlucha can use its attack lowering with multi-hit moves or stat lowering ones to become a really annoying tank that lowers stats significantly. It's gonna be difficult to force off the field with physical attackers and will likely pair really well with Blissey thanks to its sturdiness against fighting and physical attackers.

New Ability
: Liquid Web (When this pokemon damages another with a water type move, the target has the liquid web status applied to it for 1 turn.)
The affected pokemon is trapped and is weak to bug.

New stats: 68/110/132/50/152/42
HP: 68 (+0)
Attack: 70 --> 110 (+40)
Defense: 92 --> 132 (+40)
Special Attack: 50 (+0)
Special Defense: 132 --> 152 (+20)
Speed: 42 (+0)
(BST) 454 --> 554

New moves: None
Description: Araquanid's water moves are filled with a sticky web-like substance. This web entangles opponents and makes them an easy prey for Araquanid's bug moves. Being able to hit any pokemon for super effective damage allows Mega-Araquanid to make progress against many teams.

Hopefully I made the deadline for this but

Finally figured out how to make my Hawlucha-Mega NOT overpowered

hawlucha.png

Ability: Showboater (if this Pokemon's attack does more than 1/2 of the target's maximum health, afflicts Torment and Taunt on the opposing target.)

Stats:
Health: 78
Attack: 112 (+20)
Defense: 91 (+16)
Special Attack: 112 (+38)
Special Defense: 84 (+21)
Speed: 123 (+5)

New moves: Air Slash, Aura Sphere

Flavor reasoning:
Shield Pokedex entry: It always strikes a pose before going for its finishing move. Sometimes opponents take advantage of that time to counterattack.

Hawlucha is a brutal luchador with a flamboyant nature, constantly causing trouble for larger fighters with its nimble footwork and excellent aerial maneuvers. It also has the tendency to showboat, which usually doesn't affect their opponents that much (heck it showboats too long and gives opponents the opportunity to strike back), but something about Hawlucha-Mega just pisses off their opponents so much that they get riled up and are unable to fight properly through the intense anger they feel.

Competitive reasoning:
Because of the new rules, I made Hawlucha's stats bad on purpose just to screw it over and not make it too broken lmao

Now you may ask, ShinGen Hawlucha can 2HKO a lot of stuff how am I supposed to not get screwed over by Showboater?

Well there are checks... against Hawlucha-Mega you have to play it smart to prevent yourself from being afflicted by Showboater. The ability itself has a low chance of being triggered but the reward is huge.

Despite Hawlucha-Mega's huge offensive capability, it is still incredibly frail defensive-wise, with a pathetic 78/91/84 bulk it can be taken out quite easily. It's 123 speed that can also be taken advantage of by the 125+ gang, and there are plenty.

Also, Dhelmise-Mega exists.

phil swift (Hawlucha) (M) @ Hawlucha mega stone
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Stone Edge

This is probably Hawlucha-Mega's best set, allowing it to serve as a cleaner/sweeper for the lategame. Swords Dance allows Hawlucha to achieve 2HKOs better, with CC and BB being hard-hitting STAB moves that can hit neutrally for huge damage. Stone Edge is just there because Zapdos and Moltres are fucking annoying.

+1 252 Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight-Mega: 178-211 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 25.4% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Corviknight-Mega Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 320-378 (107.7 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 264-312 (66 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 252-296 (84.8 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha in Grassy Terrain: 129-152 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO
because rilla is stupid broken and can revenge if half health gone

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 241-285 (70 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tapu Fini Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hawlucha: 120-144 (40.4 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 188+ Def Zapdos: 334-394 (87.2 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Zapdos Discharge vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hawlucha-Mega: 240-284 (80.8 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and etc i'm too lazy to math

Cacturne-Mega :cacturne:
:sm/cacturne:

Sand Veil/Water Absorb-->Desert Lotus (this Pokemon has its attacking stats multiplied by 1.5 in harsh sunlight, and its defending stats multiplied by 1.5 in sandstorm.)
New Stats: 70/115/100/115/100/75
HP: 70-->70 (+0)
Attack: 115-->115 (+0)
Defense: 60-->100 (+40)
Special Attack: 115-->115 (+0)
Special Defense: 60-->100 (+40)
Speed: 55-->75 (+20)
Total: 475-->575 (+100)
New Moves: Shore Up, Knock Off, Weather Ball

Description: Dual weather abuser, which is totally rad, and its move additions compliment the team styles it makes it onto.

Hawlucha-Mega :hawlucha:
Fighting-type
Flying-type

Limber/Unburden/Mold Breaker-->Decelerate
(Speed Boost semi-clone: at the end of each turn, this Pokemon's Attack raises by 1 stage and its Speed falls by 1 stage.)
New Stats: 78/120/90/74/90/148
HP: 78-->78 (+0)
Attack: 92-->120 (+28)
Defense: 75-->90 (+15)
Special Attack: 74-->74 (+0)
Special Defense: 63-->90 (+27)
Speed: 118-->148 (+30)
Total: 500-->600 (+100)
New Moves:
Sucker Punch
Description: So I like to imagine Hawlucha bouncing around in the ring, battering the opponent from all sides, gradually slowing down as it wears the opponent down and begins to hit them harder, going for the KO. This is somewhat of a romanticized vision, but the gist of it is that Hawlucha becomes an incredibly hard hitting bruiser at the cost of speed over time. Sucker Punch is unreliable but can be very potent with prediction.

Hey again, everyone!!! It's finally time for submissions to close and voting to begin!
Like last time, a couple of followups on the requested changes:

ChoiceScarfed's Hawlucha looks perfect now - thanks!!
I'm still kinda wary of your Cacturne's potential to paralyze on entry (? I'm actually not totally sure when the Ability is supposed to activate, either - someone pointed out that I might be interpreting it incorrectly - but I would be equally concerned if it happened after it damages a target or something because then it gets the +2 very often), since that's a super punishing effect for a situation that realistically will arise very often (especially when aided by allies with pivoting moves); could I suggest focusing entirely on stat modifiers? (or maybe even just giving itself the Slow Start effect when its target's HP is above half but passing the Slow Start off to its target when it's below half?)
I'm gonna leave this one out for the moment because I'm concerned that it's still unbalanced and because I'm no longer quite sure of how to interpret its effect, but let me know if you make any changes or get in touch on the Discord to ask for help and I would be happy to add it back as usual!

AP5Fanboy did not respond just yet - I would feel reeeally silly vetoing this over just 5 stat points, but if it wins and you haven't made a change yourself yet, please know that we will just pick a stat for you and it will not have reduced Special Attack.

VoolPool uh... did not really address the feedback all that completely, and they also actually changed the Hawlucha I said was fine and made it less acceptable, so I'm just gonna keep those vetoed.

No changes on Slaty fildrong, Yago2012, greyllama8, stinky potato or lydian edit: thank you so much for the update!! added now C: yet either, so I'm gonna keep the relevant subs out for the time being.
That said, as usual, you can always let me know if you make any changes during the voting phase and I would be happy to add them back! You didn't miss the boat or anything - as long as people are still voting, you still have time. C:
And huge thanks to the rest of you for responding already!!!

Now that that's been covered, here's the list of legal submissions for your voting convenience:

:ss/cacturne: Mega Cacturne
New Ability: Mega Launcher
Type: Dark/Grass

New stats:
HP: 75
Defense: 60 -> 105 (+45)
Special Attack: 115 -> 130 (+15)
Speed: 55 -> 50 (-5)
(BST) 475 -> 575

New moves: Terrain Pulse, Grassy Terrain, Water Pulse
Description: Hit hard with special moves, you have good bulk so just keep on using moves like Water Pulse, Dark Pulse, and Terrain Pulse. This pokemon is relatively inferior to M-Cinderace through lower Sp. Attack, way less speed, and less attack.
Mega Cacturne
Type:
Grass / Dark
Ability: Sand Rush
Moves: Skitter Smack, Lash Out, Scorching Sands
Stats:
HP: 70​
Atk: 135 (+20)​
Def: 90 (+30)​
SpA: 135 (+20)​
SpD: 70 (+10)​
Spe: 75 (+20)​

A Ground-resistant Sand Rush user is something that's been proposed at least twice in this mod, and for good reason. With Tyranitar, Excadrill, and Dracozolt all being weak to Ground, something that can potentially tank an Earthquake would be greatly appreciated.

As with any Pokemon not found in Galar, tutor moves are in order. Skitter Smack is mostly just flavor; it reflects how Cacturne stalks those who travel the desert. Lash Out sounds like the kind of thing it would do if you mistook it for a cactus and got too close, and it gives Cacturne the reliable physical Dark STAB it currently lacks. Scorching Sands is a bit of a stretch, as it's a move currently reserved for Ground and Fire types, but I thought it would be a cool parallel to Shiftry learning Heat Wave (that also makes more sense, like the sand in the desert is probably already scorching), and it gives it a more reliable special attack to hit Steels with than Focus Blast.
Mega Cacturne
Ability: Item Shackle (Upon entry, ability is announced and all items have no effect. Items that cannot be knocked off aren't affected by this ability. Items remained attached.)
New Stats:
Atk: 115 -> 145 (+30)
Def: 60 -> 80 (+20)
SpA: 115 -> 115
SpD: 60 -> 90 (+30)
Spe: 55 -> 75 (+20)

New Moves: Grassy Glide, Lash Out, Burning Jealousy (all as IoA tutors), Knock Off
Description: It wanders around deserts looking for torment. It no longer seeks out prey in the desert, but looks for ways to be annoying. Competitively, it provides the valuable niche of item suppression. Megas generally have to make use of playing without an item, but Mega Cacturne forces its foes to play by the same rules. It can then Knock Off the now useless item to support its team.
:ss/Cacturne:
Mega Cacturne
Typing:
Grass / Dark ---> Grass / Dark
Ability: Sand Veil / Water Absorb ---> Barbed Fist | If the opponent is hit by a contact move, they lose an additional 1/8th of their max HP.
Stats:
HP:
Atk: 110 ---> 140 (+30)
Def: 60 ---> 80 (+20)
SpA: 110 ---> 110
SpD: 60 ---> 60
Spe: 55 ---> 105 (+50)
Movepool Additions: Knock Off, Parting Shot, Pursuit
Description: A fast pivot that can get a little extra chip using offensive Iron Barbs.

Cacturne-Mega
Grass/Dark
Sand Veil/Water Absorb-> Gunslinger (User's first move after switching in receives +1 priority).
Stats

Atk: 115-> 135 (+20)
Def: 60-> 70 (+10)
SpA: 115
SpD: 60-> 100 (+40)
Spe: 55-> 85 (+30)
New Moves: +Knock Off, Scorching Sands

Description:
As a Gen-U-Ine desperado, Mega Cacturne has a sharp eye and some mighty quick reflexes. In typical Wild West rules, first to get the shot off wins the big showdown, and Cacturne is primed for that opportunity thanks to Gunslinger (aka what Quick Draw should've been), which allows it to serve as a prime revenge killer, able to pick off weakened targets thanks to its boosted Attack, with decently strong attacks like Poison Jab, Superpower/Drain Punch and new STAB Knock Off (very fitting for a no good outlaw who wouldn't mind disarming their opponent); it also potentially benefits a few utility options like Substitute, Spikes and Destiny Bond. Its desert habitat also grants it Scorching Sands (I mean, Maractus gets it). In terms of stats, Cacturne gets a sizeable speed boost so it doesn't automatically have to switch out after Gunslinger has triggered, while I prioritized SpD over Def both due to my design idea (Eastwood-esque poncho) and since Turne is the Bad of this showdown, who are often taken out by a quicker draw.

"It has lived in deserts for so long that its blood has transformed into sand."
Cacturne-Mega
Type:
Grass/Ground
Ability: Sand Blood - If Sandstorm is active, this Pokemon takes half damage from it's weaknesses.
(Fire, Flying and Bug all become neutral, still weak to Ice.)

New Stats
HP: 70 (Unchanged)
Atk: 125 (+10)
Def: 100 (+40)
SpA: 125 (+10)
SpD: 100 (+40)
Spe: 55 (Unchanged)

New Moves: Scorching Sands, Rock Slide, Knock Off, Iron Head, Weather Ball

The flavour of this sub is around the quote above.

The ability is amazing defensively, as Grass/Ground has a type score (For the uninformed, it's based on the weaknesses, neutralities, resistances and immunities.) of 22. This ability makes it 17 in sand. (For reference, Steel/Fairy is 13.25)

Scorching Sands fits because desert sand is hot, and his blood is literally sand lol.
Iron Head because looking at his head it really seems like he should be able to use it. (At least in my eyes)

He can be physical, special, mixed or defensive with his stat spread, new moves and ability. (His special movepool is pretty bad without these, and it's physical movepool felt like it could use a couple of moves)
Mega Cacturne :Cacturne:
New Ability: Fast-Draw
Ability Description: All Ballistic moves(see: moves that are blocked by bulletproof) have +1 priority when at full health
Type: Grass-Dark
New Stats:
HP: 70->70
Attack: 115-140(+25)
Defense: 60->75(+15)
Special Attack: 115->145(+30)
Special Defense: 60->75(+15)
Speed: 55->70(+15)
BST: 475->575(+100)
New Moves: Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Mud Bomb,
Description: This is entirely inspired by that one time BitBitio said Cacturne has a little cowboy hat, anyway, the "Gimmick" of Mega Cacturne is pretty clear, as it is inspired by the Fast-Draw in the wild west, it has priority added to its ballistic moves to mimic the swiftness of a wild-west duel, between its variety of ballistic moves such as the newly added moves, Focus Blast and Energy Ball, Mega Cacturne becomes a scary sweeper without priority on your side if you allow it to get a Nasty Plot up, the problem is, it's below-average speed, with so many mons capable of coming in and using priority to easily revenge kill it or force it out due to an unfavorable matchup it can't beat one on one, along with being relatively frail, so if it doesn't get the KO with it's Fast-Draw, it's likely to be thrown into an unfavorable position with how if it loses HP, it loses the ability to gain priority with its ballistic moves
Note: Moves that Cacturne has that benefit from/activate Fast Draw include Sludge Bomb, Shadow Ball, Mud Bomb, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, and Seed Bomb
:swsh/cacturne:
:cacturne: Mega-Cacturne
Ability: Sundown Switch (When using a Grass type move, switches to "Day" Form. When using a Dark type move, switches to "Night" form. Under Sun, will always be in Sun form. The change happens at the start of the turn. Switching this Pokemon out will revert it to Sun form)

I had to precise that before showing the other things.

Mega-Cacturne (Day):
Ability: Sundown Switch
Typing: Grass-Ground
Stats:
Atk: 115 (Unchanged)
Def: 110 (+50)
SpA: 115 (Unchanged)
SpD: 110 (+50)
Speed: 55 (Unchanged)

Mega-Cacturne (Night):
Ability
: Sundown Switch
Typing: Grass-Dark
Stats:
Atk: 165 (+50)
Def: 65 (+5)
SpA: 115 (Unchanged)
SpD: 65 (+5)
Speed: 95 (+40)

New Moves: Pursuit, Knock Off, Earthquake, Scorching Sands

Decription: This is based on the many dex entries for Cacturne that states it's prey are mostly travelers exhausted by the desert's heat. Even if i didn't use the "heat" part (i could have but base Cacturne getting Fire moves wouldn't make sense), this is still very much based on this concept. When using a Grass type move, it becomes very defensive and takes hits pretty well, and it gets good moves to use that as well. It can use Leech Seed, Synthesis (knowing this makes it a pretty effective wall under Sun), Spiky Shield... It also has Earthquake, which benefit it's other form a lot by giving it a great tool to use as coverage, and Scorching Sands can be used to spread burns, which compensates a bit for Night form's mediocre bulk, and is also a pretty good move on a wall set. Though, the whole thing comes together to be much more interesting when taking into account the Night form. When using Dark type moves, it becomes a much more offensive Pokemon, which can use different moves to take advantage of the chip damage the Day form is going to inflict to the opponent. It can, for example, use Sucker Punch, which will compensate for the good but not great speed tier for a Mega that is 95. It can also use Pursuit if it predicts a switch. Knock Off ks this thing's best STAB.It could also potentially run a more bulky set (without any speed investments) to try running Payback. Day form's bulk also makes it much easier to set-up Swords Dance or Spikes, both of which are very useful tools. It also bring utility for the team with Leech Seed, Knock Off, Scorching Sands burns... Overall, a versatile and (atleast i hope so) interesting Pokemon.

Bulky Set-Up Sweeper
Cacturne @ Cacturnite (of course i'm not the one deciding the stone name but this is probably the most logical way to go)
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
-Spiky Shield
-Swords Dance
-Knock Off
-Sucker Punch

Sun Wall:
Cacturne @ Cacturnite
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk
Impish Nature
-Leech Seed
-Spiky Shield
-Spikes
-Synthesis

Set-Up Sweeper:
Cacturne @ Cacturnite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Pursuit
-Knock Off
-Drain Punch
-Swords Dance

Set-Up Sweeper #2:
Cacturne @ Cacturnite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
-Synthesis
-Knock Off
-Earthquake
-Swords Dance

Team Support:
Cacturne @ Cacturnite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
-Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Knock Off
-Scorching Sands
Mega Cacturne
Grass/Dark

New Ability: Persistent (If the opposing Pokemon’s HP is above 50%, this Pokemon has 50% defense. When the opposing Pokemon’s HP is below 50%, this Pokemon has 50% Attack.)

New Stats:

Attack: 115 -> 135 (+20)
Defense: 60
Special Attack: 115 -> 135(+20)
Special Defense: 60 -> 80 (+20)
Speed: 55 -> 95 (+40)

New Moves: Power Whip, Knock Off

Description: I was looking through Cacturne’s Dex entries, looking for ideas. After reading through all of them, I came to a conclusion; all of them mention Cacturne’s excellent abilities as a hunter. And that’s when it clicked, I got the idea of Persistent right there. Anyway, the idea is that Mega Evolution has improved Cacturne’s persistence to the point where it can outlast its own prey.

Dex Entry: TBA
Mega-Cacturne - Grass/Dark
Ability: Floral Fury: All Grass moves used by this pokemon are super effective against steel

Attack: 115 > 130 (+15)
Defense: 60 > 90 (+30
Spatk: 115 > 110 (-5)
Spdef: 60 > 85 (+25)
Speed: 55 > 90 (+35)
BST: 475 > 575
New Moves: Close Combat, Knock Off, Power Whip

I tried to turn Cacturne into a physically biased mixed wallbreaker, with the ability to punch through steels with it's super effective STAB Power Whips(sometimes boosted by Swords Dance)

I don't have ideas for the other two so just have this
Mega Cacturne.

View attachment 308603

Type: View attachment 308985/View attachment 308986 --> View attachment 308987/View attachment 308988

Ability: Sand Veil/Water Absorb --> Phantom Creep ( If the opponent switches, the user will pursue them by using the attacking move selected at 1/4th of the damage excluding modifiers (Excludes pursuit) )

Stats:

Attack: 115 -> 135 (+20)
Defense:60 -> 70 (+10)
SpAtk: 115 -> 135 (+20)
SpDef: 60 -> 70 (+10)
Speed: 55 -> 95 (+40)

New Moves: Heat Wave, Phantom Force, Shadow Ball, Scorching Sands, Pursuit.

Description: Cacturne will stalk its prey, which has become fatigued due to the desert's heat it lives in. No matter how far or fast you run, mega cacturne will find you. There is no escape. Accept it. Basically, Mega Cacturne doesn't encourage the opponent to switch. Why? If they do, they'll take 1/4th the damage of whatever cacturne would have used before they switched. Say you went for Dark Pulse on a Mew that is being withdrawn, you pursue them. Works like pursuit. Mega Cacturne is unable to catch opponents switching in, however. So rather than using cacturne to catch a pokemon switching in, use cacturne to catch the pokemon switching out. You won't have to worry about making insane reads. You won't have to worry if your opponent's 12% swampert switches in to a 100% health blissey, because you'd just end them with a grass move lol. Also IMO Grass/Ghost would be better defensively. And fits with the idea that cacturne kinda creeps up on you. like a ghost. (Just thought I'd add that charge moves will burn out their charge turn if the opponent switches)
:ss/cacturne:Mega Cacturne
Grass/Dark
Ability: Desert Veil - When in a sandstorm this pokemon's grass type weaknesses are turned into resistances.

Hp: 70
Att: 155 (+40)
Def: 85 (+25)
Spec Att: 120 (+5)
Spec Def: 85 (+25)
Sped: 60 (+5)

New Moves: Pursuit, Taunt, Snap Trap

Description: I thought about this one and thought that it isn't fast but it isn't bulky, which isn't a good combo. Then I thought of changing its type but I realized that the type fits so I needed to work around the bad typing since I decided on making it bulky. I then realized the grass typing is its downfall so I needed to fix that up. And now bam Desert Veil. With Sucker Punch, Taunt, & Pursuit you can really trap opponents and just trap trap them with snap trap.
Mega Cacturne
Ability: Stakeout
Stats:
  • HP: 70 (+0)
  • Attack: 140 (+25)
  • Defense: 90 (+30)
  • Special Attack: 120 (+5)
  • Special Defense: 90 (+30)
  • Speed: 65 (+10)
New Moves: Pursuit, Darkest Lariat, Lash Out, Burning Jealousy, Scorching Sands

"If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving. " ~ Cacturne's Pokedex entry from Alpha Sapphire

You give this thing a Pokedex entry like that and you DON'T give it Pursuit?! What?!

Anyways, this thing has one job; smack switchouts with Stakeout-boosted STAB Pursuits, and smack them hard. Darkest Lariat is more flavor than anything seeing as how you'll want to use Pursuit more often. I also gave it some IoA tutor moves seeing how it's the only one of these three to not get any of them (cuz it ain't in SWSH)
clarification: Stakeout does not boost Pursuit as described here, but that's a good thing because Stakeout is a crazy-strong Ability and this is only allowed because it does not
:bw/cacturne:

/

Ability: Fortitude (A passive bide-esque effect will occur over the course of 3 turns upon switch-in. After 3 active turns, its following attack will gain a particular multiplier depending on how much direct damage it has taken. This next move will also have +3 priority, but only if it has taken any damage.)

>10% = 1.1x boost
>25% = 1.2x boost
>33% = 1.3x boost
>50% = 1.5x boost
>100% = 2x boost

Atk: 115
Def: 120 (+60)
SpA: 115
SpD: 120 (+60)
Spe: 35 (-20)
New Moves: Shore Up, Knock Off, Pursuit, Earthquake, Earth Power, Scorching Sands

Reasoning
:

I love introducing new playstyles with my Megas, and Bide has always been a move that's been trash, but I always felt like its flavor and mechanics had potential. There were a few missing components toward making it really work though: that being that the Pokemon using it is completely disabled, that the users typically were not fit for taking damage, and that the opponent can abuse Bide's movement lock with hazards or setup.

The concept of a Bide-like abuser applies perfectly to Cacturne, a Pokemon that is known for its stalker-like tendencies and its patience before striking. I opted to give it the ability to remain as an active part of play, being able to take hits, set up hazards, or dish out utility using its new access to STAB Knock Off and Scorching Sands. It needed bulk, longevity, and a good defensive typing, so I took the merits of giving it a much better, yet still flavorful defensive typing in Ground/Dark, dumping literally all of its BST gain into its bulk to make it as effective as possible in taking hits, and giving it a flavorful recovery option in Shore Up. The rest of its moves are mostly to give it some Ground-type STABs to play with in its new Mega form, including a good utility one in Scorching Sands. The addition of Pursuit allows for its super move to deliberately choose its target without having to mess with awkward 50/50s and mitigating the impact of its attack, plus... why doesn't it have Pursuit in the first place?

That leaves its execution: how can you use this Mega Cacturne? The answer to that... is up to you! It has a lot of options to mess with as it preps for its super attack and dissuades the opponent from dealing as much direct damage as possible. It has options like Spiky Shield to pass the turns by and dish contact recoil, Endure to safely farm for the Fortitude multiplier, or even Spikes to support its team and support its own super move. That's also not considering its ability to spread burns with Scorching Sands or remove items with Knock Off. What's more, is that Mega Cacturne does not need to use its super move for anything offensive thanks to the added priority: it can even use it for priority healing or a last minute Spikes layer. Overall, this Mega Cacturne flips the script on a bulky hazard setter/utility attacker, being able to take hits and be a constant looming threat that requires both good HP management and forces the opponent to play more carefully, lest you are hunted down in the sandy night.
mega cacturne
:cacturne:
grass/dark
stats
hp- 70
atk- 130(+15)
def- 70(+10)
spa- 130(+15)
spd- 70(+10)
spe- 105(+50)

ability: desert fruit- when hit by a fire type move, mega cacturne becomes fire/dark type and its grass moves deal fire type damage instead.

new moves: knock off, scorching sands, u-turn, heat wave

The juice inside mega cacturne is incredibly sweet and highly flammable, but the exposure to extreme heat in the desert allows it to stand tall even if engulfed in flames.

MEGA CACTURNE
New stats:
115 -> 145
60 -> 80
60 -> 80
55 -> 65
Mega Cacturne

Ability - Sand Veil; Water Absorb ➝ Scarecrow (Whenever the user switches in, for every Flying-type on the opposing side of the battlefield, the user lowers their Attack by three stages and uses Taunt on them, and gets an Attack raise, this behaves like Intimidate, that is, this ability doesn't affect Pokémon with Inner Focus, Oblivious, Scrappy, or Own Tempo, and it triggers Rattled.)

HP - 70 ➝ 70
Atk
- 115 ➝ 145 (+30)
Def - 60 ➝ 87 (+27)
SpA - 115 ➝ 116 (+1)
SpD - 60 ➝ 87 (+27)
Spe - 55 ➝ 70 (+15)
BST - 475 ➝ 575 (+100)

Movepoll Changes - n/a
Competitive Corner - Mega Cacturne's power level is a bit on the lower side, but its main niche is dissuading Flying-types from attacking, Defogging, or setting up. 145 Base Attack is nothing to scoff at, and it does have alright coverage, so it definitely can pack a punch as well! The applications aren't the best, but I think making something on the nicher side, every once in a while, may be a good call!
Flavor Corner - Mega Cacturne is inspired on scarecrows! Its ability makes Flying-type Pokémon scared to attack it, and also taunts them due to their fear. Obviously, a scarecrow isn't scary only to birds, so other Pokémon also get a bit scared with an Intimidate-like effect! That's about it this time ^^
:Cacturne:
Mega Cacturne
Type: Grass Dark
Abiltiy:
Desert Demon
This pokemon's speed is raised by 1 stage at the end of the turn, if Sand Storm is activated. Sand Storm immunity.

Mega Stone: Cacturnite

Stats:
ATK: 115 (-)
DEF: 90 (+35)
SPA: 130 (+15)
SPD: 70 (+10)
SPE: 95 (+40)

Movepool Changes:
Scorching Sands, Darkest Lariat.

Competitive corner: Mega Cacturne will serve as a sand mixed attacker (mostly special) that counter water types.

Flavor corner: Yes, Cacturne is the scarecrow pokemon. However, the pokedex states that it is a nocturnal hunter in deserts, seeking for preys that are debilitaded by the intense heat. It also states that during the day, it is stationary and doesn't like moving. So it makes sense beeing a special based attacker and having Desert Demon as it ability, since sand storms would make it more active covering the sun. It's a nocturnal demon that hunts tired and weakned prey, at night, and feeds on them using the deadly sands of the desert.
To correct my mistake (sorry about the golurk stuff btw):
Mega Cacturne:
TYPE: Grass and Dark
ABILITY: Scarecrow (Flying moves have no effect)
NEW MOVES: Baneful bunker/Drum beating
ATTK: 160 (+45)
DFNCE: 75 (+15)
SPA: 140 (+25
SPDEF: 75 (+15)
SPEED: 55

DESCRIPTION:
As an early game wall breaker, It can prove to be very useful and helps keeps flying types back against the wall. But with baneful bunker and meh dfnce, It can poison annoying targets that have bad attacking stats.
Mega Cacturne
:cacturne:
Grass, Dark
Ability: Ravaging Thorns - When this Pokemon attacks with a contact move or is hit by a contact move, the targets will be given a sticky barb (assuming they are not holding an item)

Stats: 70/125(+10)/150(+90)/115/60/55

New Moves: Knock Off, Toxic Spikes, Spike Cannon (mainly flavour)

Every contact move Cacturne goes for is now better knock off. Sticky Barb is a cool item that for the most part makes sense with Cacturne, but honestly I just thought this was a cool idea. Perhaps it's Pokedex entry could be something like, it hunts by piercing it's prey with sharp barbs, and then stands silently as it's prey struggles helplessly to remove them Additionally Cacturne can now constantly go for full powered stab knock off, because the knock off will knock off the targets item, and then give the target the sticky barb, which you can then knock off them the next turn. The Pokemon still has a terrible speed stat and defensive typing, but with sticky barb + toxic spikes + Leech Seed and it's better defenses it can chip things down really well too .
:cacturne: Cacturne Mega
New Ability: Leech Needles — Iron Barbs clone that heal the user by the amount of damage inflicted.
Type:

Stats: 70 / 125 (+10) / 140 (+80) / 125 (+10) / 60 / 55
New Moves: Strength Sap
Description: Mon that roughly gives your opponent the feeling of punching a cactus. Spoiler, that aint really satisfying.

It has a notorious desire to stalk its prey. Its painful touch is all that remains from its previous form.
New Abilit
y: Rough Skin
Type:
->

New stats:
Atk: 115 -> 120 (+5)
Def: 60 - > 100 (+40)
SpA: 115 -> 120 (+5)
SpD: 60 -> 65 (+5)
Spe: 55 -> 100 (+45)
BST: 475 -> 575

New moves
: Shore Up, Scorching Sands, Stone Edge, Knock Off, Pursuit
Description: With that speed, ability to use either attack stat and access to moves like leech seed and shore up.
this mega form can stand out as a fast spike setter with recovery or a setup sweeper vs slower teams.
New Ability: Sand Veil/Water Absorb -> Coup de Grass
(When using a single-target move, if the intended target's HP is one half or less, Mega Cacturne acts immediately, moving at the first possible opportunity within its priority bracket.)

New Stats:
Defense: 60 -> 115 (+55)
Special Attack: 115
(575 BST)

New moves: Assurance, Knock Off, Strength Sap
Description:
The wise people of the Discord have decreed that I should go sleep now, so this is not gonna be nearly as long a description as Araquanid, oops
In short, though, this is sort of the same idea that's inspired many of the other subs - the fact that Cacturne are known for lurking silently and motionlessly until their opponents are worn down, then striking decisively to take them down when they're weak.
In a singles context, the main set this would run is probably the combination of Strength Sap and either Swords Dance or Nasty Plot to boost safely super fun combination on Vileplume by the way I have used it before, paired with a spammable STAB (like Knock Off on Swords Dance sets) and... either another attack or some way to wear down opponents or make progress over time, like Leech Seed, Spiky Shield, Spikes or Toxic (probably Toxic? I would do Toxic) until they're in range of its Ability.
Knock is one of the most spammable moves in the game and it can get away with running it as its only attack if it wants to commit to the biding-its-time lifestyle, but it would probably help to have a coverage move to complement it!
One convenient thing about this Mega Cacturne is that it doesn't necessarily need to bother investing in Speed, so its bulk should definitely be more than workable for what it is!

Incidentally, in doubles, all bets are off - this can attack just as soon as its target falls into range and can potentially pull off crazy offensive combinations without needing to bide its time too long. Assurance on this sounds fun as heck and I would so use it.
New Ability
: Technician

New stats: 70/135/80/125/80/85
HP: 70 (+0)
Attack: 115 --> 135 (+20)
Defense: 60 --> 80 (+20)
Special Attack: 115 --> 125 (+10)
Special Defense: 60 --> 80 (+20)
Speed: 55 --> 85 (+30)
(BST) 475 --> 575

New moves: Pursuit, Beat Up, Assurance, Rock Tomb
Description: When I was looking at Cacturne's movepool, I noticed many low bp moves, notably bullet seed, pin missile and its signature move, Needle Arm. Now, Cacturne's movepool is still heavily lacking so I added some more low bp moves to abuse. Beat Up is a very interesting move to pair with technician since it will always hit 6 times if your entire party is still alive making it very high consistent damage. Pursuit and Assurance don't get any stronger if their damage boosting effect activate but Technician makes them less risky to use as they will still have decent power even if their damage isn't boosted. Rock Tomb is a way to hit flying types or to lower the speed of an opponent switching in so that cacturne may outspeed them.

In terms of competitive use, Cacturne's damage output is very high with Bullet Seed averaging around 112.5 bp but going up to 187.5 which is stronger than V-Create. Beat Up can be expected to hit around 110-120 on an average team if all 6 pokemons are alive. If your goal is to maximize beat up's damage though, it can deal up to 184.5 bp of damage consistently but that's assuming you're using it alongside kartana, regigigas, slaking, rampardos and haxorus. Technician boosted Hidden Powers paired with it's decent spatk allows it to bait and K.O. pokemons like Heatran, Magearna or Ferrothorn.

Mega Cacturne
Grass/Dark
Ability: Stalking - If the opposing pokemon is under 1/3 of its health, all of this pokemon's attacks get +1 priority.
BST: 70/140(+25)/90(+30)/130(+15)/90(+30)/55
New Moves: Beat Up, Knock Off, Pursuit, Scorching Sands, Snarl, Strength Sap
Description: "If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving." This Pokedex entry implies using persistence to track the prey and speed to take it. As such, I gave Cacturne a good boost in bulk and an ability to capitalize on wounded prey. A boost to both attack stats ensures versatility. Beat Up, Pursuit, and Snarl are mostly for flavor. The rest are to boost Cacturne's strengths.
Cacturne-Mega :cacturne:

Sand Veil/Water Absorb-->Desert Lotus (this Pokemon has its attacking stats multiplied by 1.5 in harsh sunlight, and its defending stats multiplied by 1.5 in sandstorm.)
New Stats: 70/115/100/115/100/75
HP: 70-->70 (+0)
Attack: 115-->115 (+0)
Defense: 60-->100 (+40)
Special Attack: 115-->115 (+0)
Special Defense: 60-->100 (+40)
Speed: 55-->75 (+20)
Total: 475-->575 (+100)
New Moves: Shore Up, Knock Off, Weather Ball

Description: Dual weather abuser, which is totally rad, and its move additions compliment the team styles it makes it onto.
"Cacturne. the Scarecrow Pokemon. If a traveler is going through a desert in the thick of night, Cacturne will follow in a ragtag group. The Pokémon are biding their time, waiting for the traveler to tire and become incapable of moving. After spending thousands of years in harsh deserts, its blood transformed into the same substances as sand. It is nocturnal, so it hunts at night. "
well, a mega would seem like a fast and strong sand sweeper, but there is so much more we can do. lets elaborate on desert a bit more. flaming hot in the day, and freezing in the night, and cacturne likes the latter better. now i am not thinking ice type, which is way too much of a stretch, but I added icicle spear, icicle crash, and blizzard cause why not. also pursuit for basic dark stab, sand tomb, and spiky shield for defensive prowess. thinking of enduring blazing hot days and stalking even fast prey in cold nights, is it really a grass type? it is probably an ancient pokemon, and it probably can be even more terrifying if it did not have to deal with the extreme heat and its tiny amount of moisture. i like to think of mega evolutions as when a pokemon is at its highest potential. for cacturne, it would be stalking in the harshest conditions with no worries of moisture or the weather. so what about rain? losing a major weakness in fire, and an ability in replenish: boosts defense and spdef in rain by 2 stages on switch in, and lowers to neutral stage after 3 turns. also retains grass dark. now with coverage like this, what walls it? answer: ferrothorn, toxapex, litterally any defensive wall(minus the blobs). it is slow, so it can be revenge killed by zapdos, tornadus t, and other flying types. uturn still screws it over, and grass is just not all that viable. i wanted a unique rain mega that can be picked over swampert, and is an excellent revenge killer.
stats: hp: 70
attack: 140(+25)
def: 105(+45)
spatk: 115
spdef: 95(+35)
speed: 50(-5)
bolded some of the important details in case it was hard to follow their stream-of-consciousness style of submission

Edit 1/22/2021 @ 16:58 GMT - added lydian's Cacturne back!! Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for the update!
Edit 1/22/2021 @ 20:07 GMT - added harmony96369's Cacturne! They had posted it in the Discord because they didn't know how it worked, so I said they could share it here now and would add it.

Last edited:

New Ability: Flying Advantage (Flying moves do 25% more damage on grounded Pokémon. Flying and Levitating Pokémon take 25% less damage from Flying moves)
Type:

New Stats:
HP: 78 => 78 (+0)
Atk: 92 => 92 (+0)
Def: 75 => 105 (+30)
SpA: 74 => 89 (+15)
SpD: 63 => 103 (+40)
Spe: 118 => 133 (+15)
BST: 500 => 600

New moves:
Description:
So, I am lost in the unknown. Til the birds fly home.
Hawlucha serves as a buffer between its team and the opponents mon. With it's bulk and speed it can easily run support/utility options like Encore, Taunt, Defog and it can set-up more easily with SD or Substitute. It's speed tier allows it to revenge kill Ash-Greninja, it checks Rillaboom well with its typing and bulk, on top of that its bulk allows it too use substitutes against Pex. The ability makes its flying stab of choice stronger to compensate for its poor attacking stat. It can do much against many flying types to begin with, so the damage reduction on flying types and levitators isn't much of an issue. It's typing isn't that bad. It resists Bug, Dark, Grass, Fighting and is immune to Ground, but it also has weaknesses to common types like Electric, Ice, Fairy, Psychic and Flying. It can still provide utility and support for its team, so it can find its way into some teams.

Fast Bulky Pivot
Hawlucha @ Hawluchite
Ability: Flying Advantage
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Physical Attacker
Hawlucha @ Hawluchite
Ability: Flying Advantage
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Mega Hawlucha
Type:
Fighting / Flying
Ability: Underdog (attacks against heavier Pokemon will be powered up by 30%)
Stats:
HP: 78​
Atk: 108 (+16)​
Def: 95 (+20)​
SpA: 102 (+28)​
SpD: 88 (+25)​
Spe: 129 (+11)​
Weight: 54 lbs / 24.5 kg (+6.6 lbs / +3 kg)

From X:
"Although its body is small, its proficient fighting skills enable it to keep up with big bruisers like Machamp and Hariyama."​

All mega evolutions come with the inherent downside of being locked into a useless item, but for a Pokemon defined by Unburden like Hawlucha, that downside is far more taxing than most.

Mega Hawlucha seeks to circumvent this hurdle with power. It may not be as fast as base Hawlucha, but it's still very fast (though it falls one point short of Tapu Koko) and its power is amazing for something at its speed. However, its damage output is only average against Pokemon that are lighter than it, and there are several key Pokemon fit the bill:
  • Event pixies like Mew and Victini
  • Toxapex
  • Reuniclus
  • Pyukumuku
  • Tapus not named Bulu
  • Mega Mawile
I originally tried to do it with height because literally nothing uses that mechanic, but what the number actually means is wildly inconsistent from Pokemon to Pokemon, and I'm pretty sure weight is more important in fighting (I've heard of weight classes, but not height classes).
:ss/hawlucha: Mega Hawlucha @ Hawluchite

New Ability
: Flying Style
(This Pokemon Fighting type moves deal half more damages against Flying type Pokemons.)

Type: Fight/Flying

New stats:

Attack: 92 -> 132(+40)
Defense: 75 -> 100 (+25)
Special Attack: 74
Special Defense: 63 -> 93 (+30)
Speed: 118 -> 123 (+5)
(BST) : 600 (+100)

New moves: (None)

Description:
:ss/Hawlucha:
Mega Hawlucha
Typing:
Fighting / Flying ---> Fighting / Flying
Ability: Arena Master | On switch-in, if a terrain is active, Attack is raised by 1.
Stats:
HP:
Atk: 92 ---> 142 (+50)
Def: 75 ---> 93 (+18)
SpA: 74 ---> 99 (+20)
SpD: 63 ---> 93 (+30)
Spe: 118 ---> 100 (-18)
Movepool Additions: None
Description: Instead of abusing terrain for blistering speed, this abuses terrain for blistering power. Also no longer depends on the type of terrain (as it was with the seeds) and is much more bulky.

Hawlucha-Mega
Fighting/Flying
Limber/Mold Breaker/Unburden-> Powerslam (User's attacks do 1.3x damage to non-grounded targets.)
Stats

Atk: 92->132 (+40)
Def: 75-> 95 (+20)
SpA: 74-> 84 (+10)
SpD: 63-> 83 (+20)
Spe: 118-> 128 (+10)
New Moves: None!

Description:
Advancing its combat capabilities through Mega Evolution, Hawlucha becomes master of the powerslam, where one drops face first onto their target. Harnessing the power of [not the move] gravity, Hawlucha's attacks gain a whole new weight to them, with non-grounded targets taking more damage as they face a second impact with the ground. In practical terms, this allows Mega Lucha to break through several Flying types that can give the base form trouble- for example, physically defensive Zapdos is OHKOed by +2 Jolly Rock Slide thanks to the new ability. That said, Mega Lucha is not meant to 1v1 opposing flyers right out the gate, but like its standard form generally benefits the most in mid-late game, once its teammates have applied a little chip, which it likes since Lucha still isn't the bulkiest thing.
:xy/hawlucha:
Hawlucha-Mega
Type:
Fighting/Flying
Ability: Arena Surge - Summons Arena Terrain on entry
Lasts for 5 turns (8 with Terrain Extender)
Boosts the power of Fighting moves by 1.3 times
Allows Fighting moves to hit Ghost types

Fighting Seed: Raises holders Defense by 1 stage.

New Stats
HP: 78 (Unchanged)
Atk: 122 (+30)
Def: 90 (+15)
SpA: 95 (+21)
SpD: 90 (+27)
Spe: 125 (+7)

New Moves: None.

To Mega Hawlucha, the whole world is his ring.

The flavor I am going for is in that Hawlucha likes to show off in battle, and what better place to do that than in an arena? Hawlucha is a wrestling birb, and wrestling usually takes place in an arena.

I tried balancing the damage boost by throwing some points into SpA, and I made sure that at max speed, he speed ties with Tapu Koko.
EDIT: I lowered his speed by 5 points and threw them away to better meet the requirements for Mega Hawlucha.
Mega Hawlucha
New Ability: Limber/Unburden/Mold Breaker ---> Free Fighter (Acts like a Terrain-Dependent -Ate ability. Normal type moves get boosted by 1.2 during no terrain.)
New Typing: Fighting
New Stats:
ATK: 92 -> 112 (+20)
DEF
: 75 -> 100 (+25)
SPA: 74
SPD: 63 -> 98 (+35)
SPE: 118 -> 138 (+20)

New Moves
:
Desc: In this slate, I wanted to pull from the pokemon's inspiration and dex entries, and Hawlucha is supposed to be a freestyle fighter, which inspired the ability, and the stats seem pretty standard.
Mega Hawlucha :Hawlucha:
New Ability: Honorable Duel
Ability Description: Upon switch in, no stat changes are able to take effect, and any in effect are removed, this is undone upon Mega Hawlucha switching out
Type: Flying-Fighting
New Stats:
HP: 78->78
Attack: 92->110(+18)
Defense: 75->100(+25)
Special Attack: 74->80(+6)
Special Defense: 63->100(+37)
Speed: 113->127(+14)
BST: 500->600(+100)
New Moves: Mach Punch
Description: Mostly inspired by Ash's Hawluchas sense of honor, the ability Fair Brawl makes it that no stat changes can take effect as long as it is in. Forcing the mons in play to rely solely on their stats and moves and items in some cases, and not their boosting moves. It allows people to, with Halwuchas quite good and balanced stats, to come in and revenge kill something that has become dangerous due to setting up. The problem is the tradeoff is that Hawlucha can't boost itself or use any boosts once it goes into mega, so once it mega evolves, it has to rely on its raw stats alone.
:swsh/Hawlucha:
:Hawlucha: Mega-Hawlucha
Ability: KO (When this Pokemon is on the field, any Pokemon below 25%HP can't switch out)
Type: Flying-Fighting
Stats:
Atk:110 (+18)
Def:75 (Unchanged)
SpA:104 (+30)
SpD:73 (+10)
Spe:160 (+48)
New Moves: Pursuit

Description: This one was made with two clear goals in mind: Not stepping on Hawlucha's niche as a late-game terrain sweeper (Or a sweeper at any time if paired with Mega-Delibird but that doesn't count), and becoming a revenge-killer. So even if it is extremely fast (tied with Ninjask for fourth fastest Pokemon behing Regieleki, Noivern-Mega and Talonflame-Mega), it doesn't hit very hard for a mega, which lowers it's offensive role in most cases. It is also outsped by regular Hawlucha after Unburden, but gets a very useful niche: it becomes an excellent revenge-killer, effectively becoming able to finish anything under 25%, or to put them in that range with Pursuit by threatening them with Close Combat and much and forcing them to switch out. Then, it's very high speed comes into play, because it's almost certain to outspeed the opponent and kill it before getting killed. In some other situations, it can also come to threaten the opponent, and then use Swords Dance to set-up while it's foe switches out. Overall it could be very strong and interesting as a revenge-killer, but is balanced by it's not so great offensive power without boosts. Also if you ever run bulk investments on this, invest in HP, not in defenses, it pairs better with the ability. Also, you really should run either Roost or U-Turn to avoid the ability trapping you.

IMPORTANT: This, and Pursuit specifically, are being tested in the Sandbox, because with Pursuit, it can come on a weakened foe, use Pursuit to put ut below 25% HP, and then be able to kill it next time it comes if inthe foe can't heal because it will be trapped.

Revenge Killer:
Hawlucha @ Hawluchite (Again, this is just to have something to put in the samples)
EVs: 252 Atk / 156 Spe / 100 HP
Adamant Nature
-Brave Bird
-Pursuit
-U-Turn
-Close Combat

Set-Up Sweeper:
Hawlucha @ Hawluchite
EVs: 252 Atk / 156 Spe / 100 HP
Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Brave Bird
-U-Turn
-Close Combat

The HP investment is to take less damage from Brave Bird.
I have too much idea!

Mega-Hawlucha
Ability:Levitate
Type:Steel/Fighting
New Moves:Icicle Crash,Meteor Mash

Stats:
Attack: 122(+30)
Defense: 115(+40)
Sp. Atk: 74
Sp. Def: 103(+40)
Speed: 108(-10)

P.Description:Hawlucha's wings became sharp steel for knock off opponents. Its flying for regain its light wings.

Description:2 weakness and 8 resistance, 1 immunity and good movepool.
Mega Hawlucha

View attachment 308604

Type: View attachment 308991/View attachment 308992

Ability: Limber/Unburden/Mold Breaker --> People's Champ (Upon KO'ing a target, the user is permanently encored into the move used to KO. The move is then boosted by 1.2x and the multiplier increases by 0.2 every time the move is used. If the move fails, the multiplier does not increase or reset. The effect resets on switch and there is no damage cap.

Stats:
Attack: 92 -> 100 (+8)
Defense: 75 -> 95 (+20)
Sp.Atk: 74 -> 110 (+36)
SpDef: 63 -> 95 (+32)
Speed: 118 -> 122 (+4)

New Moves: Spacial Rend, Hurricane, Burning Jealousy, Spotlight, Aura Sphere

Description: I don't have much to say really. Hawlucha is here to put on a show. It gives the crowd what they want. Once Hawlucha finishes off its target there's no going back, It'll continue using the same move each turn while gradually getting stronger. Hopefully Hawlucha being a mixed attacker is fine, doesn't have many ways to increase its special attack and lacks a special move-pool. But its an option. The idea is to get hawlucha encored and then snowball. Don't give it spacial rend.
:ss/hawlucha:Mega Hawlucha
Flying/Fighting
Ability: Scrappy

Hp: 78
Att: 122 (+30)
Def: 95 (+20)
Spec Att: 84 (+10)
Spec Def: 93 (+30)
Sped: 128 (+10)

New Moves: Arm Thrust

Description: The Ultimate top tier killer. Stops Mega Eelektross (kind of) with earthquake, Blissey with any fighting move, Mega Dhelmise with any fighting move + Arm Thrust for sub sets, Mega Rillaboom with any flying move, Mega Reuinclus with any flying move, and Mega Registeel with any fighting move. It also gets SD and thunder punch. Although it needs a swords dance and a stronger fighting move to really bust down some pokemon.
Mega Hawlucha
Ability: Moxie
Stats:
  • HP: 78 (+0)
  • Attack: 112 (+20)
  • Defense: 105 (+30)
  • Special Attack: 74 (+0)
  • Special Defense: 104 (+40)
  • Speed: 128 (+10)
New Moves: Mach Punch

Hawlucha is all about showing off and bragging to its opponents, and what ability fits that better than Moxie? Really it's just meant to be a simple Moxie snowball sweeper, with the addition of Mach Punch for priority.

/

Ability: Luchador's Ring (Upon switch-in, the user will set the "Luchador's Ring" terrain. Effects in spoiler.)

Magic Coat effects will be active for grounded targets.
The critical hit ratio for grounded Pokemon raises by one stage.
Contact moves gain a 3/2x accuracy boost.

Atk: 107 (+15)
Def: 105 (+30)
SpA: 79 (+5)
SpD: 103 (+40)
Spe: 128 (+10)
New Moves: Drill Run, Triple Axel, Dynamic Punch

Reasoning:

My idea behind this Hawlucha was to put an emphasis on the wrestler's ring: nothing more, nothing less. This was an obvious call for a terrain of some kind. Immediately, I opted to give it the unique Fighting/Ground typing, not only to emphasize its grounding in the ring, but also to have an excuse to give a really cool, one of a kind offensive typing. Now, with that in mind, it could be an obvious decision to give it Earthquake and let it go to house with generic STABs, but I'm not about that!

Its unique terrain lets it operate as a very unique wallbreaker to analog its base form, while not being overtly better than it. The terrain not only boosts the accuracy of contact moves (as you're in a tighter space for moves to actually land), but it ensures an immunity to direct status moves (bouncy ring siding), and boosts critical hit ratios. Enter Drill Run and Cross Chop, two high crit ratio moves that are rendered obsolete by their stronger, more accurate counterparts. These two moves with their boosted accuracy and 50% crit odds shine brightly as very effective immediate wallbreaking options that compliment Hawlucha's access to Swords Dance, solid defensive typing, and much greater bulk. Given its dual STABs are mono-walled by Flying-type Pokemon, I also opted to give it Triple Axel, which also highly appreciates the accuracy boost, and is a fairly good coverage option that makes sense given how Mega Hawlucha is going to be springing all over the place, making a scene and being a boisterous bastard. This is also why it gets Drill Run over more reliable Ground-type STABs, since it's spinning and making a scene over simply just barraging its foe. Half of wrestling is the show, after all! Lastly, in case you wanted to be a shitlord, I also gave it Dynamic Punch, which isn't the greatest option, but is there for confusion shenanigans and can do them more consistently with a greater accuracy. (100% accurate HJK exists too)
mega hawlucha
fighting/flying
stats
hp- 78
atk- 122(+30)
def- 110(+35)
spa- 74
spd- 93(+30)
spe- 122(+5)

ability: Tag Team- if an ally was knocked out on the previous turn mega hawlucha's next move will be a crit

new moves: mach punch

Mega Hawlucha is a noble fighter, caring for its teammates so much that when one falls it ignites its burning passion to win. It must avenge its allies
Mega Hawlucha

New Ability
: Masquerade
In a similar way to "Illusion", the user will copy the ability of the last Pokémon in your team that is still living. If the user gets damaged by a direct move from its partner or from the opponent, it will loose the ability that it copied. "Masquerade" can be reset after switching out.
Certain abilities cannot be copied. Refer to "Receiver" if you want to know which abilities cannot be copied. Moreover, the banlist can be extended depending on how strong certain abilities turn out to be for the user or if an ability in question is unique to a Pokémon like "Blackmail" from Mega Honchkrow.

Type: Fighting | Flying

New stats:
Attack: 92 -> 112 (+20)
Defense: 75 -> 110 (+35)
Special Attack: 74 -> 84 (+10)
Special Defense: 63 -> 88 (+25)
Speed: 118 -> 128 (+10)
BST: 500 -> 600 (+100)

New Moves:
Storm Throw, Parting Shot

Description:
1) Hawlucha is associated with a so-called "lucha libre", which refers to a freestyle wrestling from Mexico. People participating in this kind of battle usually wear a special mask to represent an ancient hero, a famous fighter, an animal, a god, or any mystical figure. The longer a fighter wears a mask without getting demasked by their opponent, the higher their prestige and skills.
I feel like "Masquerade" is a good opportunity to reflect these aspects, especially when Hawlucha is depicted as a very proud Pokémon in the anime and according to the Pokédex. Once the user gets hit, it is demasked, similar to how Mimikyu has its disguise broken. Thus, the user looses the ability that it copied. But don't worry, you can reset it if you switch out!

That said, some of you may wonder why Hawlucha copies an ability from one of its teammates. It's because there's already a move called "Role Play", which copies the ability of the target. Thus, there seems to be a connection between identity and ability. Moreover, wearing a mask to represent someone famous in a "lucha libre" is a change of an individual's identity.

As for the name of the ability, I went for "Masquerade" to allude
a) to an event in which you are allowed to hide your true identity--in this case, it would be the "lucha libre"
b) to a custome, which usually includes a mask and can act as form of defensive strategy to overcome fears.
Moreover, "Masquerade" is a flexible name that can be applied to some Pokémon like Roserade if it wants to have this ability.

2) Strategy
- Due to the limited nature of "Masquerade", Hawlucha pairs well with Pokémon relying on a one-time ability like "Intimidate". In our metagame, it should pair well with Landorus-T who is immune to Electric or with Gyarados who takes neutral damage from Ice. There's also the possibility to include Incineroar as it takes neutral damage from Fairy, is resistant to Ice and unaffected by Psychic! Intimidate allows Hawlucha to better take physical hits and start setting-up with Swords Dance. Or you could just use it defensively, given how useful its dual typing can be as it offers a Ground immunity and a resistance to Fighting.
- Another way to use "Masquerade" is "Huge Power", turning Mega Hawlucha into an attacker that, rather than setting-up like its regular form, can immediately create huge holes in opposing teams at any time so long as it is not hit by a direct move. Diggersby seems to be a good partner for Hawlucha as it's immune to Electric. Azumarill is another useful Pokémon as it resists Ice. Furthermore, if you have "Natural Cure" or "Regenerator" in your team, you can use U-Turn to profit from these abilities.
-> Basically, Mega Hawlucha is a very customizable Pokémon and requires good team support as well as good management to adapt to any situation.

3) Stats: Hawlucha is bulky enough to take 2 Stone Edge from Landorus-T after Stealth Rock and 1 Moonblast from Clefable after Stealth Rock. Its SpAtk is decent enough to run Technician Hidden Power Ice to devastate certain Pokémon like Landorus-T if you want to.

4) Attention: "Masquerade" is going to be tested in the "sandbox-submission" in order to see if certain abilities like "Huge Power" or "Simple" should be even allowed to copy as Hawlucha is a pretty fast Pokémon with access to Swords Dance. It's possible I have to change Hawlucha's stats or that I may extend the ban-list. In that case, I will update this post, of course. That said, you still have the option to use "Adaptability", "Tough Claws" or even "Technician" for boosted Hidden Power, Storm Throw, or Dual Wingbeat if abilities like "Huge Power" or "Simple" turn out to be too strong on Hawlucha.
Mega Hawlucha - Fighting/Psychic
Ability: Shield Dust

New Stats

Attack: 92 > 74 (-18)
Defense: 75 > 105 (+30)
Spatk: 74 > 126 (+52)
Spdef: 63 > 109 (+46)
Speed: 118 > 108 (-10)
New moves: Air Slash, Psychic, Calm Mind, Dark Pulse, Hyper Beam, Confusion, Aura Sphere
Part two of my Megas for this slate, this time with Hawlucha! I designed it as a decently bulky wallbreaker and sweeper leaning to the special side.
:hawlucha: Mega hawlucha
New Ability
: Fighting spirit (its attack and defence are multiplied by 1.2)

Stats:
Attack: 92 > 112(+20)
Defense: 75 > 85 (+10)
Spatk: 74 > 94 (+20)
Spdef: 63 > 103(+40)
Speed: 118 > 128(+10)

Description: what hawlucha is known fr in normal battling, is as a late game sweeper with access to unburden and swords dance. My submission changes lucha into an offensive pivot, that can hit hard and use its great typing and decent bulk to stick around and keep on checking the mons it should throughout a game.
Mega Hawlucha

Ability - Limber, Unburden; Mold Breaker ➝ Sacrifice To The Sun (When the user faints by direct damage, the Pokémon sent out to replace it has its Attack and Special Attack raised by one stage each.)

HP - 78 ➝ 78
Atk
- 92 ➝ 111 (+19)
Def - 75 ➝ 111 (+36)
SpA - 74 ➝ 78 (+4)
SpD - 63 ➝ 74 (+11)
Spe - 118 ➝ 148 (+30)
BST - 500 ➝ 600 (+100)

Movepoll Changes - n/a
Competitive Corner - While Mega Hawlucha is no dead weight, where it really shines (get it? it's a sun pun) is with its ability. After Mega Hawlucha has done its job, positioning it to faint in a way that gives another one of your Pokémon an Attack or Special Attack boost while facing a Pokémon it can take advantage of, can be game changing, or even game winning! Of course, Mega Hawlucha's owns stats are nothing to scoff at either, it can be quite the threat with a blistering speed tier, Swords Dance, and great offensive coverage, but the real threat is whatever Pokémon comes after it faints! Which creates a very interesting dynamic of play for your opponent, which hopefully isn't stupidly broken and unhealthy? We'll see :P (I don't wanna be known as the guy that makes the broken Flying-types hahaha!)
Flavor Corner - The flavor here may seem like a long shot, at first, but it makes perfect sense after you think about it, for a bit. Hawlucha, aside from being inspired on luchadores, is also inspired on Aztec Eagle Warriors! Which from Aztec culture, sacrifice themselves in war to protect their people and appease the Sun God! Hawlucha's efforts in battle are noted, and its ally is given a boost as it comes into battle! Representing Hawlucha's sacrifice! It's a little weird, and maybe not too children friendly, but I can assure you, there are real Pokémon out there with much more mature origins! All things considered, this seems like a nice way to pay homage to Aztec culture which plays a very interesting part on Hawlucha's origins!
Mega Hawlucha
Type: Fighting Flying
Abiltiy: Phoenix Pride

If Sunny Day is active, this pokemon's Fighting and Flying moves power are 1.3x. Recovers 6% HP per turn in sun.
Mega Stone: Hawluchite

Stats:
ATK: 115 (+23)
DEF: 85 (+10)
SPA: 114 (+30)
SPD: 90 (+27)
SPE: 128 (+10)

Movepool Changes:
Aura Sphere, Mystical Fire, Air Slash, Morning Sun, Vacuum Wave.

Competitive corner: Mega Hawlucha aproaches his Aztec Eagle Warrior roots with Phoenix Pride granting it's stabs moves boosts from the Sun God that those warriors praise. It can be a either physical or special attacker (it already has Calm Mind) or both. It competes with Zard-Y for Sun Teams, however it is neutral to rocks, and can threaten them with fighting stab. It's no dead weight against Chansey/Blissey like Venusaur, Volcarona and Zard-Y too, if you want it to run Special, because you can just spam 150 BP Close Combats and Brave Birds in sun.

Flavor corner: As stated, hawlucha is also based on the Aztec Eagle Warriors, that fight for their Sun God. This mega is blessed by the sun. It looks a lot more golden, with an intense red mask. There is no longer green.
Mega Hawlucha
Fighting, Flying
Ability: Fighter's Resolve - This Pokemon's speed increases for every attack it sustains that knocks it below 33% health

Stats: 78/147(+55)/90(+15)/74/90(+27)/121(+3)

The ability is meant to symbolise the 'clutch' or comeback factor that often makes people root for a specific competitor, as it makes every match close and entertaining. This allows it to still perform as a setup sweeper like it does in its base form. It can try to activate it's ability by running endure reversal, or can just try to rely on its bulk as it won't really have to invest in speed.
:hawlucha: Hawlucha Mega
New Ability: Regenerator
Type:

Stats: 78 / 112 (+20) / 90 (+15) / 94 (+20) / 88 (+25) / 138 (+20)
New Moves: Encore, Stealth Rock
Description: We tend to forget Hawlucha has a really interesting pivot movepool: U-turn, Defog, Taunt, and lots of situational coverage options. This sub aims to shine a new light on that part of lucha.

A heel doesn't play by your rules
New Ability: Dynamic
Entry
When this pokemon switches in it repeats status moves made by the opponent, immune to taunt and intimidate.
Type:
->

New stats:
Atk: 92 -> 130 (+ 38)
Def: 75 - > 110 (+35)
SpA: 74 -> 90 (+ 16)
SpD: 63 -> 70 (+7)
Spe: 118 -> 122 (+4)
BST: 500 -> 600

New moves
: Darkest Lariat, Pursuit, Parting Shot, Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, Sand Attack, Fake Out

Description: While hawlucha excels at getting in in the late game under terrain and sweeping,
this mega form shines at a different game plan, aggressive switch-ins into passive moves get rewarded
with setting an even (or uneven) ground. Taunt ? Hawlucha just taunts back the opponent, toxic ?
Both of us are going down now, trick room ? tricked back. This mega shines when sent aggressively
against set-up. Since the move repeat only happens on switch in and it doesn't nullify the opponent's move like
magic bounce this ability requires more thought on its use, but being capable of copying recover, substitute or
swords dance when switching in more than make up for this downside. Steal the spotlight!

This ability is the equivalent to using copycat against status moves while under the effect of after you when
you switch-in; In doubles this pokemon will only copy the move used by the opponent in front of it,
not the moves used by both opponents. this pokemon always does the move after its opponent does
regardless of priority (can be protect and move at +4 or trick room and move at -7) and will always target the opponent
in front (IE: if amoonguss is in front of hawlucha and uses spore to the pokemon at the side of hawlucha,
hawlucha will use spore on amoonguss). This ability can backfire with moves like Acupressure since it will boost your opponent.
New Ability
: Domination (When this pokemon damages another with a contact move, the target loses 1 stage in attack.)

New stats: 78/102/115/74/103/128
HP: 78 (+0)
Attack: 92 --> 102 (+10)
Defense: 75 --> 115 (+40)
Special Attack: 74 (+0)
Special Defense: 63 --> 103 (+40)
Speed: 118 --> 128 (+10)
(BST) 500 --> 600

New moves: Thunderous Kick, Double Kick, Triple Kick, Skitter Smack
Description: When Mega-Hawlucha attacks its opponent, the opponent becomes less and less confident as Hawlucha is clearly winning the battle. Paired with old moves such as Dual Wingbeat, Low Kick and U-Turn as well as all the new ones, Mega-Hawlucha can use its attack lowering with multi-hit moves or stat lowering ones to become a really annoying tank that lowers stats significantly. It's gonna be difficult to force off the field with physical attackers and will likely pair really well with Blissey thanks to its sturdiness against fighting and physical attackers.

Ability: Showboater (if this Pokemon's attack does more than 1/2 of the target's maximum health, afflicts Torment and Taunt on the opposing target.)

Stats:
Health: 78
Attack: 112 (+20)
Defense: 91 (+16)
Special Attack: 112 (+38)
Special Defense: 84 (+21)
Speed: 123 (+5)

New moves: Air Slash, Aura Sphere

Flavor reasoning:
Shield Pokedex entry: It always strikes a pose before going for its finishing move. Sometimes opponents take advantage of that time to counterattack.

Hawlucha is a brutal luchador with a flamboyant nature, constantly causing trouble for larger fighters with its nimble footwork and excellent aerial maneuvers. It also has the tendency to showboat, which usually doesn't affect their opponents that much (heck it showboats too long and gives opponents the opportunity to strike back), but something about Hawlucha-Mega just pisses off their opponents so much that they get riled up and are unable to fight properly through the intense anger they feel.

Competitive reasoning:
Because of the new rules, I made Hawlucha's stats bad on purpose just to screw it over and not make it too broken lmao

Now you may ask, ShinGen Hawlucha can 2HKO a lot of stuff how am I supposed to not get screwed over by Showboater?

Well there are checks... against Hawlucha-Mega you have to play it smart to prevent yourself from being afflicted by Showboater. The ability itself has a low chance of being triggered but the reward is huge.

Despite Hawlucha-Mega's huge offensive capability, it is still incredibly frail defensive-wise, with a pathetic 78/91/84 bulk it can be taken out quite easily. It's 123 speed that can also be taken advantage of by the 125+ gang, and there are plenty.

Also, Dhelmise-Mega exists.

phil swift (Hawlucha) (M) @ Hawlucha mega stone
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Stone Edge

This is probably Hawlucha-Mega's best set, allowing it to serve as a cleaner/sweeper for the lategame. Swords Dance allows Hawlucha to achieve 2HKOs better, with CC and BB being hard-hitting STAB moves that can hit neutrally for huge damage. Stone Edge is just there because Zapdos and Moltres are fucking annoying.

+1 252 Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight-Mega: 178-211 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- 25.4% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Corviknight-Mega Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 320-378 (107.7 - 127.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Corviknight: 264-312 (66 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Corviknight Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha: 252-296 (84.8 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hawlucha in Grassy Terrain: 129-152 (43.4 - 51.1%) -- 5.5% chance to 2HKO
because rilla is stupid broken and can revenge if half health gone

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Tapu Fini: 241-285 (70 - 82.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Tapu Fini Draining Kiss vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hawlucha: 120-144 (40.4 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Hawlucha Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 188+ Def Zapdos: 334-394 (87.2 - 102.8%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
0 SpA Zapdos Discharge vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hawlucha-Mega: 240-284 (80.8 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

and etc i'm too lazy to math
Hawlucha-Mega :hawlucha:
Fighting-type
Flying-type

Limber/Unburden/Mold Breaker-->Decelerate
(Speed Boost semi-clone: at the end of each turn, this Pokemon's Attack raises by 1 stage and its Speed falls by 1 stage.)
New Stats: 78/120/90/74/90/148
HP: 78-->78 (+0)
Attack: 92-->120 (+28)
Defense: 75-->90 (+15)
Special Attack: 74-->74 (+0)
Special Defense: 63-->90 (+27)
Speed: 118-->148 (+30)
Total: 500-->600 (+100)
New Moves:
Sucker Punch
Description: So I like to imagine Hawlucha bouncing around in the ring, battering the opponent from all sides, gradually slowing down as it wears the opponent down and begins to hit them harder, going for the KO. This is somewhat of a romanticized vision, but the gist of it is that Hawlucha becomes an incredibly hard hitting bruiser at the cost of speed over time. Sucker Punch is unreliable but can be very potent with prediction.

EDIT: oof, I just noticed the page ended!! please go to the first post of page 32 to see the compilation continued with the Araquanid submissions! sorry they had to be split up like this - 65,000 characters are not enough ;-;
followup edit: some incredibly kind soul deleted exactly one post and these are all together now
I have no idea who you are or if it was even on purpose, but I appreciate that so much <3

Last edited:

New Ability: Magic Guard
Type:

New Stats:
HP: 68 => 68 (+0)
Atk: 70 => 90 (+20)
Def: 92 => 122 (+30)
SpA: 50 => 80 (+30)
SpD: 132 => 142 (+10)
Spe: 42 => 52 (+10)
BST: 454 => 554

New moves: Slack Off
Description: It's a kind of magic!
Araquanid has a solid defensive type with resistences to Ground, Fighting, Water, Ice and while being only weak to Flying, Electric and Rock. Granted those types are really good and do have some strong abusers, but it makes up for it with its resistences, bulk and ability with the latter being able to get rid of its SR weakness. It gets recovery in Slack Off and can be a sticky webs user that has decent attacking power and bulk. It faces competition from other Sticky webs users, since some of them has better speed, better offenses or in Shuckles case better defenses and other hazards and other utility options. It's a bit of a mixture of other Sticky Web users. It isn't fast, but it's bulky, strong and has recovery and some other utility options like Magic Coat and that's it.

Physical Tank
Araquanid @ Araquanite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Sticky Web
- Slack Off
:ss/araquanid: Mega Araquanid
New Ability: Davy Jones‘ Locker (Doubles indirect damage from trapping moves)

New stats:
Attack: 70 -> 120 (+50)
Defense: 92 -> 102 (+10)
Special Attack: 50 -> 90 (+40)
Special Defense: 132
(BST) 454 -> 554

New moves: Whirlpool
Description: Trap foes with moves, then sit there and tank until they die.
Mega Araquanid
Type:
Water / Bug
Ability: Water Bubble
Stats:
HP: 68​
Att: 70​
Def: 152 (+60)​
SpA: 90 (+40)​
SpD: 62 (-70)​
Spe: 112 (+70)​

So, Araquanid is a curious beast. Its stats are all over the place, and its ability is three separate effects piled on top of each other. Giving Araquanid any other ability besides Water Bubble would feel like a step down, but how to avoid making Mega Araquanid feel too similar to base Araquanid?

My solution? Boost every stat by 20 points, and then shuffle them around.

Similar to Mega Diancie, this Mega Araquanid completely reworks Araquanid's role. While base Araquanid has moderate physical bulk, excellent special bulk, and slow speed, Mega Araquanid has titanic physical bulk, paltry special bulk, and respectable speed. It also favors special attacks to physical ones.

Hematite also gave it the okay, and pointed out that if you swap Araquanid's base defenses, it actually follows the stat rules put in place, which was a happy coincidence.
:ss/araquanid: Mega Araquanid @ Araquite

New Ability
: Expanding Bubble
(Water Immunity. If the foe tries to hit you with Water moves, start "Invasive Bubble" effect.)
(Traps the foe and make it loses 1/8 HP each turn until the owner of the ability switchs or is KO.)

New stats:

Attack: 70 -> 105 (+35)
Defense: 92 -> 122 (+30)
Speed: 42 -> 77 (+35)
(BST) : 554 (+100)

New moves: Fell Stinger, Agility, Electroweb, Taunt.

Description: This Pokemon is made to trap Water pokemon like Toxapex and Quagsire, Scald users in general, and punish them on switch-in. Trap a Toxapex with only scald as damaging move is a good thing, and run Taunt is a good option to make useless Toxapex. You can trap Ash-Greninja too and if it's a Specs you can easily do Ability and finish it with Fell Stinger, +2 Spe, +3 Atk allows Araquanid to become a good sweeper after KOing the water pokemon of the opponent.
Mega Araquanid
Typing: Water/Bug ---> Water/Bug
Ability: Water Absorb / Water Bubble ---> Surface Tension | Blocks certain status moves and restores 1/8th of its max HP when hit by a status move.
Stats:
HP:
Atk: 70 ---> 50 (-20) [Atk-SpA swap]
Def: 82 ---> 142 (+60)
SpA: 50 ---> 80 (+30) [Atk-SpA swap]
SpD: 132 ---> 162 (+30)
Spe: 42 ---> 42
Movepool Additions: Life Dew
Description: A wall that attempts to patch its hazard weakness and lack of reliable recovery by absorbing hazards and status moves for HP.

Araquanid-Mega
Water/Bug
Water Absorb/Water Bubble-> Bubble Armor (If any opponents are Water type, their Water typing is removed and the user receives +1 Attack per removal).
Stats

Atk: 70-> 125 (+55)
Def: 92-> 117 (+25)
SpA: 50
SpD: 132-> 142 (+10)
Spe: 42-> 52 (+10)
New Moves: None!

Description:
The energy of Mega evolution causes Araquanid's bubble to envelop its whole body, while also granting the bubble a rather peculiar quirk: while osmosis typically causes water to flow into an area of lower concentration, Araquanid's bubble, despite being mostly water already, actually absorbs more water into itself. This "reverse osmosis" is so intense that opposing Water types have their Water typing absorbed right off of them, adding to Araquanid's power while removing a resistance to its Water STAB, continuing the base flavor of Water Bubble. The ability to weaken opposing Waters grants Araquanid a rather unique niche, with +1 letting it get a nice hit off on its formerly Water-type prey or one of their teammates as they switch in.
:sm/araquanid:
Araquanid-Mega
Type:
Water/Bug
Ability: Bubble Guard - Sets a screen that only allows teammates to take damage from direct attacks. Lasts 5 turns.

New Stats
HP: 68 (Unchanged)
Atk: 105 (+35)
Def: 112 (+20)
SpA: 95 (+45)
SpD: 132 (Unchanged)
Spe: 42 (Unchanged)

New Moves: Life Dew, Flip Turn, Whirlpool, Toxic Thread

I gave Araquanid-Mega Bubble Guard for 2 reasons.
Flavour: Araquanid is known to bring weaker creatures into it's bubble for protection (while it's teammates aren't exactly weaker, it's the general idea)
Water Bubble: This ability sets a high standard. What better way to match that than having a Magic Guard screen?

Araquanid still takes entry hazard damage if the screen is down and switches in, kinda like Tapu Fini getting poisoned by Toxic Spikes because the terrain goes up after getting poisoned.

Mega Araquanid works as a mixed attacker, and as a support pokemon. Physical sets deal more damage, special sets have Scald and can run more support options. (Toxic Thread feels like a bit of a stretch here, but Araquanid is a spider, so it kinda fits, right?)

Remember how Chansey shut down every single Special Attacking Pokemon in existence in Gen 1? No?

How about the time when Snorlax invalidated every other Pokemon in Gen 2? Nothing, you say?

Well then, do you remember how Toxapex invalidated Keldeo as a Pokemon? Still don't ring a bell?

Eitherways, in Megas For All, you'll now remember Araquanid-Mega, the Pokemon who gave absolutely zero shits about rain and said 'fuck you' to Greninja-Ash! How wonderful!

Araquanid-Mega
Ability: Osmotic Bubble (remember Flash Fire? Now imagine that, but with WATER)
*credit to Ausma for the name

Stats:
Attack: 95 (+25)
Defense: 137 (+45)
Special Defense: 162 (+30)

New moves: Recover, it's literally all it needs!

Flavor reasoning: Araquanid is literally a bubble that eats fucking everything, but when it mega evolves things become much more complicated. It's bubble becomes less permeable to solid objects, instead being able to break said objects due to the solidity of the bubble.
The only thing that can pass through its bubble is water (through the power of osmosis, thanks biology!), which it uses to boost it's physical strength, allowing it to brutally slaughter any threat coming its way.

Competitive reasoning:
NOGRENINJA4U (Araquanid) @ Araquanid mega stone
Ability: Semi-Permeable Bubble
EVs: 144 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Recover
- Sticky Web

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 144 HP / 104 SpD Araquanid: 102-121 (32.5 - 38.6%) -- 99% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Protean Greninja Gunk Shot vs. 144 HP / 252+ Def Araquanid: 93-109 (29.7 - 34.8%) -- 10.9% chance to 3HKO

Greninja Hydro Pump vs. Water Absorb Araquanid: 0-0 (0 - 0%) -- possibly the worst move ever
View attachment 308467

OK, but seriously speaking, this mega serves as an anti-rain Pokemon/anti-water in general, while also having enough defenses and offensive utility to fend off common offensive/defensive Pokemon. Sticky Web is always a great move in general, and allows slower wallbreakers to perform their duties more efficiently. Finally, Recover is the move Araquanid always needed, giving it reliable recovery to check its victims more often, and heal away SR damage.

Liquidation and Leech Life just slap lots of stuff.

Some absolute slapping calcs here:
252+ Atk Dhelmise-Mega Poltergeist (110 BP) vs. 144 HP / 252+ Def Araquanid: 127-151 (40.5 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
8 Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dhelmise in Heavy Rain: 190-225 (67.6 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Rillaboom Grassy Glide vs. 144 HP / 252+ Def Araquanid in Grassy Terrain: 138-163 (44 - 52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
8 Atk Araquanid Leech Life vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rillaboom: 174-206 (51 - 60.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

252 SpA Flygon-Mega Fire Blast vs. 144 HP / 104 SpD Araquanid: 63-75 (20.1 - 23.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
8 Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Flygon: 153-181 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Landorus-Therian Stone Edge vs. 144 HP / 252+ Def Araquanid: 136-162 (43.4 - 51.7%) -- 9% chance to 2HKO
8 Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 12 Def Landorus-Therian: 276-326 (86.5 - 102.1%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

+1 252 SpA Volcarona Flamethrower vs. 144 HP / 104 SpD Araquanid: 139-165 (44.4 - 52.7%) -- 22.3% chance to 2HKO
8 Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcarona: 360-426 (115.7 - 136.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

*please do note that most of these calcs were made when Araquanid-Mega's Attack stat was 90; Liquidation also had 128 BP because I forgot to change it after rain for some calculations.

Afterword:
Admittedly I could've gave a better EV spread for Araquanid-Mega, but as the calculations show, it's definitely able to fulfill many niches on many teams, whether it be a defensive check to Volcarona and Greninja-Ash, an anti-rain Pokemon in general, or even just a Sticky Web setter.

The point is: It's Tapu Fini but with Sticky Web, and doesn't die to overlong amounts of pressure.

Fuck you Greninja-Ash. I rest my case.
Mega Araquanid
New Ability
: Ferocious Guardian (Every time Araquanid uses the move soak, even if it fails, it transforms to its Caring Defender form. When it uses Liquidation, it transforms into its Bubble Hunter form. (Default Caring Defender))
New stats:
(Bubble hunter)
Attack: 70 -> 150 (+80)
Defense: 92 -> 112 (+20)
(Caring Defender)
Attack: 70 -> 90 (+20)
Defense: 92 -> 142 (+50)
Special Defense: 132 -> 162 (+30)
Description: Similar to Aegislash, but slightly balanced out by a lack of priority and the move it uses to convert being a horrible one.
Mega Araquanid :araquanid:
New Ability: Bubble transfer
Ability Description: Upon contact with Araquanid, the attacker suffers the effects of Soak(being reduced to a pure water type)
Type: Bug-Water
New Stats
HP: 68->68
Attack: 70->70(+0)
Defense: 92->122(+30)
Special Attack: 50->70(+20)
Special Defense: 132->157(+25)
Speed: 42->67(+25)
BST: 454->554(+100)
New Moves: Electroweb
Description: Alright, this is a weird one, but I always wondered for another use for Araquanids bubbles, and I came up with one! by Transfering it to its opponent, it makes physical attackers suffer Soak and struggle to break Araquanid after the first contact hit making it lose stab(unless it's a water type, obviously), along with its new powerful defenses and nigh unkillableness against physical attacks since it still has leech life, alongside Electroweb and Giga Drain to poke at physical attackers and Liquidation to slowly chip at them, and with its high special bulk covering the opposite side... makes up for its complete lack of a good offensive pressure without its signature ability, it's very annoying and hard to break and will be one good web setter
:swsh/Araquanid:
:Araquanid: Mega-Araquanid
Ability: Bubble Zone (On switch-in, sets-up a weather called Bubbly Zone. When it is active, Water type moves have ×1.5 power, the power of Fire type moves is halved and no Pokemon can be burned)
Type: Water-Bug
Stats:
HP:68 (Unchanged)
Atk:90 (+20)
Def:132 (+40)
SpA:50 (+Unchanged)
SpD:162 (+40)
Spe:42 (Unchanged)
New Moves: Flip Turn

Description: This Pokemon sets-up a totally unique weather, which gives both teams Water Bubble (with a nerfed Water boost because you don't want to know how much damage Ash-Graninja coule deal with 2×) for five turns, basically. This makes it a great pair with Urshifu Water, as it powers up a lot Surging Strikes, while removing the Burn chance that happen when using it against a Pokemon with Flame Body. However, it has some notables drawbacks compared to Rain: First of all it doesn't activate Swift Swim, making Barraskewda less effective that one might think when looking at the ability. Second of all, Araquanid-Mega is the only setter, and it is weak to Stealth Rock, has no recovery and has a much worse defensive typing than Pelliper. Pelliper also has great synergy with Swampert-Mega, Rain's main abuser. This Araquanid still hits like hard, notably with Flip Turn, allowing it to pivot if it wants to, even if it would not work as a pivot and would mostly be there to bring in an abuser safely. This might make it seem like a worse Rain at first, because of the drawbacks it has compared to it, but let's remember this is still Araquanid, and it still has access to one wonderful tool: Sticky Web. This allows it to compensate much more easily for the lack of Swift Swim, and makes it a great lead with Magic Coat and Mirror Coat. It also has a pretty good bulk, which gives it an easier time switching in to set-up it's weather again.

Weather Setter:
Araquanid @ Araquite (Again this name is just to have something to put in the Sample Sets)
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Flip Turn
- Magic Coat
- Mirror Coat
Mega Araquanid
Water/Bug

New Ability: Refreshing Tides (Healing moves such as Life Dew and Leech Life recover double the amount of HP)

Attack: 70 -> 100 (+30)
Defense: 92 -> 132 (+40)
Special Attack: 50 -> 67 (+13)
Speed: 42 -> 55 (+13)

New Moves: Aqua Jet, Life Dew

Description: As with Cacturne, I took a look through Aqua’s dex entries, hoping to hit the same creative stride as I had did with the former. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any inspiration this time, so I settled on my own thoughts. As you all (might) know, Araquanid’s SUMO Dex Entires are somewhat infamous for consisting of direct contradictions of each other, namely that Aqua is a caring mon in one game, and ruthless predator who drowns its prey in another game. With that in mind, I settled for this creation. I picture Mega Araquanid as a caring mon who takes in small Pokemon and provides them shelter with its bubble, but also as a major papa wolf who’s ruthless to whoever picks on its children.

Dex Entry: TBA
Mega-Araquanid
Ability:Surging Anger(If this pokemon hit by a contact move, its Water-based moves ×3 and defense lowered by 2 stage.)
Type:Water/Bug
Moves:Bug Buzz

Attack: 75(+5)
Defense: 72(-20)
Sp. Atk: 80(+30)
Sp. Def: 192(+60)
Speed: 67(+25)

P.Description:Mega Evolve only gives sticky durable bubbles and too much pain. It will hurt you if you touched its body.
Mega Araquanid.

View attachment 308602

Type: View attachment 308989/View attachment 308990

Ability:
Water Bubble/Water Absorb --> Dew Trap (Sets a bubble trap on entry. Is also set by bubble & Bubble Beam.)

Also set by Bubble & Bubble Beam.
Stacks 3 times. (One Layer: 1/10th. Two layers: 1/8th. Three+ Layers: 1/6th)
Water types absorb the bubble trap.
Rapid Spin & Defog still remove the bubble trap.
Adds water type to the target.

Stats:
Attack: 70 -> 90 (+20)
Defense: 92 -> 132 (+40)
SpAtk: 50 -> 90 (+40)
SpDef: 132 -> 132 (+0)
Speed: 42 -> 42 (+0)

New Moves: Strength Sap, U-Turn, Refresh.

Description: Araquanid can setup a new hazard called Bubble Trap which will deal damage and give the opponent the water typing. This can also aid grass or electric type pokemon to deal greater damage to the opponent than they were before. However, other water types can absorb bubble trap. Araquanid is able to setup on entry and with bubble or bubble beam, a weaker water move that sets more bubble traps. Strength sap helps it stay alive and keep setting more hazards. U-Turn is there because it has a U in its name and it'd be nice to pivot away from the opponent.
:ss/araquanid:Mega Araquanid
Bug/Water
Ability: When using a water move, place a Bubbly Shower effect on the pokemon that the move targeted.
When used on an opponent - On the next turn, lower the pokemon's att and spec att by 1.
When used on the user - On the next turn, raises their def and special def by 1.
When user on an ally - On the next turn, raise the pokemon's def and spec def by 1.

Hp: 68
Att: 90 (+20)
Def: 122 (+30)
Spec Att: 60 (+10)
Spec Def: 152 (+20)
Sped: 62 (+20)

New Moves: Life Dew

Description: A great pokemon with self healing and stat boosting with life dew, water sport, aqua ring, & rain dance. Great in doubles with soak and surf (surf can be used for interesting tactic with weakness policy shenanigans). Can also weaken opponents by hitting them with strong moves like liquidation.
Mega Araquanid
Ability: Flash Flood (When this Pokemon is hit by a Water move, the power of its Water moves go up. Water immunity. (A reskinned version of Flash Fire for Water moves instead of Fire moves.))
Stats:

• HP: 68 (+0)
  • Attack: 85 (+15)
  • Defense: 92 (+0)
  • Special Attack: 110 (+60)
  • Special Defense: 152 (+20)
  • Speed: 47 (+5)
New Moves: Calm Mind, Flip Turn, Whirlpool, Flash Cannon

Everybody here has been going physical with their Mega Araquanids, so I'd thought it would be fun to go special. I aimed to make this thing the Water-type variant of Heatran- a tank that absorbs moves of its type and also has trapping capabilities. I'm not sure if Calm Mind is balanced on this thing, though, so I will gladly remove it if need be.

/

Ability: Osmotic Layer (If any kind of weather except Sun is active, the user will "sap" 1/8 of adjacent Pokemon's HP, including allies, and will be immune to burn, Hail, and Sandstorm damage. Water-type moves will be 3/2x as strong under any weather condition except Sun.

Atk: 130 (+60)
Def: 107 (+15)
SpA: 60 (+10)
SpD: 152 (+20)
Spe: 37 (-5)
New Moves: Strength Sap, U-turn, Taunt

Reasoning
:

Ok, so let's be real: Araquanid is a really strange Pokemon. It's weird, because no matter what you opt to give it, Water Bubble is such an overtly stupid ability that slotting it out for something more balanced is not the wave; usually you're better off just using the base form and reserving your Mega slot for something else instead. So, I decided to try and reconfigure Water Bubble and make an analog that would give its Mega a discernable, one-of-a-kind niche, while not boasting a broken ability. I think I figured it out!

There is something very interesting about Araquanid's typing: it is unironically an amazing addition to any kind of weather core. Its Fighting- , Ice-, and Ground-type resistances are incredibly valuable for Hail and Sand cores, and Araquanid goes very well on Rain offensively with its Bug-type STAB to batter Slowbro and bulky Grass-types, plus Rain boosting Water-type moves goes off. So, to highlight both of these caveats, I gave it a major attack boost (specifically enough to parallel Water Bubble-boosted Liquidation but lower the gap between its STABs' strength), bumps to its defenses to let its resistances shine a bit better, and significantly, a passive Leech Seed under weathers which can let it chip down walls for its allies while staying healthy. Weather teams, inherently, are hyper offensive, and need good pivots too! This Araquanid also provides that for weather teams, boasting a helpful Will-O-Wisp immunity, Taunt to block hazards and status, and Strength Sap for flavorful recovery and buttering up opponents. Granted, it is Stealth Rock weak, however this is to balance it out and make it easier in a vacuum to break.

The flavor to justify this comes from osmosis and permeation. It is stated that it uses its bubble to suck in targets and absorb their life force.
mega araquanid
type: bug/water
stats:
hp-68
atk-110(+40)
def-132(+40)
spa-70(+20)
spd-137
spe-42

ability: sticky bubble- on contact, the attacker will have its speed lowered by 1 stage and araquanid's water type moves are boosted by 1.5x (like flash fire)

new moves: aqua jet, toxic spikes, ice fang

Mega Araquanid covers its bubble in sticky webs as to protect itself from attackers. when a Pokemon attacks it the webs wrap around the attacker and allows more water to be launched from its bubble

MEGA ARAQUANID
Typing: water/bug
Ability: Water bubble
New moves: sparkling aria, electro web, whirlpool, life dew,
New stats:

92 ->122
60 -> 100
42 -> 72
Mega Araquanid

Ability - Water Bubble; Water Absorb ➝ Fishing Web (This ability:
  • Doubles the power of Water-type moves used by the Pokémon with this Ability.
  • Makes it so a foe, after being hit by a Water-type move by the user, can't switch out for as long as the user remains on the battlefield.
  • Makes Water-type moves from the user lower the foe's Speed by one stage.
)

HP - 68 ➝ 68
Atk
- 70 ➝ 84 (+14)
Def - 92 ➝ 120 (+28)
SpA - 50 ➝ 72 (+22)
SpD - 132 ➝ 144 (+12)
Spe - 42 ➝ 66 (+24)
BST - 454➝ 554 (+100)

Movepoll Changes - n/a
Competitive Corner - Mega Araquanid's speed still leaves a lot to be desired, and the Attack boost doesn't come close to reaching the power found with Choice Band sets, but the ability to lower speed with your Water-type moves, and trap the foe, does make it likely Araquanid will end up outspeeding them, especially with Sticky Web it can set up itself! The added bulk can also go a long way on ensuring this thing's longevity, and makes it a much more reliable Sticky Web setter! Although, wasting your Mega Slot on your Sticky Web user may not be the brightest of ideas.
Flavor Corner - Araquanid is based on the diving bell spider, but in reverse, whereas it lives on the land and brings with itself a bubble of water to help it breathe on the surface. By extention, and continuing with the "in reverse" motif, how would be the web of a spider that came from the sea? Well, of course it'd be a fishing net, but made up of Water instead of nylon or whatever! The association between spider webs and fishing nets should already be evident due to their shape and similar function (catching prey), but this design takes it a step further and incorporates that idea by having a sea creature use it to capture land creatures, the opposite of what humans do with their fishing nets! That should explain why Mega Araquanid's ability is Water Bubble plus Water-type moves get a Spider Web effect and an Electroweb effect! At first I was pretty clueless on what to do for an Araquanid design, but I'm really happy with how this came out :) Also, I'm aware Fishing Web is, like, five abilities in one, but Water Bubble already does this on a smaller extent, so I thought keeping the original ability and adding stuff on top would make sense for this Pokémon exclusively, not something I'd wanna do with other designs.
:Araquanid:
Mega Araquanid
Type: Bug Water
Abiltiy:
Water Capsule
This pokemon covers itself in a capsule that colect's water. If this pokemon is hit by a water-type attack, it's attack is raised by 1 stage. Water immunity.
Mega Stone: Araquanite

Stats:
ATK: 116 (+46)
DEF: 120 (+28)
SPA: 50 (-)
SPD: 140 (+8)
SPE: 60 (+18)

Movepool Changes: none

Competitive corner:
Water Bubble by itseif is a pretty broken ability, and it's hard to make an substitute to it. However, with Water Capsule, Araquanid can make a better use of it's bug stab, while comming at bulky waters and setting webs.

Flavor corner: Araquanid is just a water spider who creates a bubble around it's own face with water and webs. This time she covers her entiere body and keeps it's capsule by collecting water-type attacks that are fired at her.
Mega Araquanid
Water, Bug
Ability: Bubble Burst - The first time this Pokemon makes contact with its opponent or its opponent makes contract with it, it damages the target for one quarter of its health, and it's speed is raised by one stage. This ability is refreshed once if rain is active. (Think of an offensive version of Eiscue's ability, minus the form change).

Stats:
68/132(+62)/132(swapped w/ SpD)/50/92(swapped w/ Def)/80(+38)

New Moves: Fell Stinger, Megahorn, Flip Turn, Work Up, Uturn

I mean the theme is pretty simple. The bubble popped. To solve the issue of Araquanid needing to breathe, perhaps the mega design could have bubbles on Araquanids arms and legs which pop, rather than the one around its head. In battle Araquanid gains access to a liquidation that is 145 base power, and a flip turn that is 120 base power, albeit only once. With its bubble burst, Araquanid hits 426 stat with max investment, leaving it just outsped by base 145 mons. However because switching out removes the speed boost, and it won't reset the bubble just by switching in and out, Araquanid can't really act as a revenge killer and has no priority. It mainly wants to play as a rain sweeper, whom can launch off a ridiculously powerful first attack which raises it's speed before cleaning up mid to late game. It can't really sweep outside of rain due to its poor set up moves, but I gave it workup if you really want to try.
New Ability: Water Bubble/Water Absorb -> Body of Water
(Mega Araquanid's Water-type moves are calculated using its Defense instead of Attack and its Special Defense instead of Special Attack.)

New Stats:
Attack: 70
Defense: 92 -> 147 (+55)
Special Defense: 132 -> 177 (+45)
(554 BST)

New moves: Hypnosis, Life Dew, Pain Split, Purify
Description:
First of all, GrandSmasher suggested this for the Ability name and I love it
That's a fantastic pun

So, uh... as I think most of the M4A regulars know by now, Araquanid is pretty close to being my favorite Pokémon ever!
This isn't just because of its mechanics, but they're no small part of it - it's on basically all of my teams except my Slowking one but only because Trick Room does not mix with webs D: and I find every excuse possible to use it because it's just so much fun. I love the way it adds an offensive twist to a traditionally supportive role, in a way that takes thought to use and puts more pressure on the opponent because the Pokémon that can interfere with its support may not be the same ones that can actually afford to switch in on it.
I was pretty excited for this slate, and I'm hoping I have something that does justice to it, without taking a radical departure from its style or undermining what makes me like it but also without being totally obvious and while bringing something new to the table.

This Ability with these stats might look pretty crazy on paper, but hear me out a bit! There are more tradeoffs at work here than it looks.
First of all, as I said, Araquanid is set apart by the offensive edge it brings to its role - and that comes down almost entirely to its base form's Ability, Water Bubble. Water Bubble doubles the power of its Water-type moves (and incidentally comes with a handy immunity to burns, which is excellent for it because its base form is physically offensive), which accounts for basically all of its breaking power; as low as its base 70 Attack looks on the surface, its 170 BP Liquidations are more than enough to pressure its opponents.
The reason I bring up the importance of Water Bubble is that this Mega Araquanid doesn't have that - and while it may be firing Liquidations from base 147 Defense and Scalds from base 177 Special Defense, its breaking power with its most reliable moves is actually only around the same level as its base form - it's actually slightly less for most of its important moves! Water Bubble really carries it that far by itself - while this Ability might look at a glance like an extreme way to cheat and give Araquanid four crazy stats instead of two, I promise it's balanced carefully around it and it's not going any further offensively than Water Bubble itself.

But if it's not giving an advantage in breaking power, what does this Ability do for it?
On one level, Body of Water is an excuse for Araquanid to commit alllll the way to investing in its bulk, because it no longer has to spend its EVs and nature on Attack to reach its maximum offensive potential. This bulk increase is pretty substantial relative to base Araquanid with that in mind - given that base Araquanid doesn't usually invest in Defense or Special Defense in my experience, you can end up with up to twice as much invested bulk as the base form on the physical side, or up to about 62% more on the special side, depending which side you choose to prioritize with EVs.
In exchange for this... well, like I said, there are tradeoffs - in this case, you may get a lot of bulk, but you lose access to Heavy-Duty Boots, which are pretty important to base Araquanid. Mega Araquanid can be super rewarding, but it requires good hazard control from its teammates to come in reliably to take hits.
There's one other cool thing about the Ability, though - while Araquanid's offenses are physically biased, its defenses, which matter here, are specially inclined instead! Through that change, Body of Water indirectly grants Araquanid access to one of the most dangerous tools a defensive Water-type can have. While its breaking power may be just shy of its base form's Liquidations, Mega Araquanid doesn't need to rely on Liquidation any more - its best move is Scald, a reliable spammable move loved by defensive Water-types for how much it deters physical attackers from coming in. Burns are a status Araquanid would appreciate a lot, but running Scald comes at much too high a cost for its base form, so it doesn't really have the opportunity to exploit it.

It's possible that it will need the help later, and we're always open to buffing things later as they come up, but I'm tentatively opting not to give Araquanid fully reliable recovery for the time being, because I think it's more interesting when it requires more thought to use effectively.
Instead, its most relevant new moves are Pain Split on the downright brilliant suggestion of BlueRay, slotting in neatly for the base form's Attack-reliant Leech Life and giving it a way to restore some of its HP and make the most of its impressive bulk without being the most consistent walling option, and maybe (though it's not the most reliable) Hypnosis, a fairly rare option among webbers that pairs well with Mega Araquanid's other enhanced status spreading and can occasionally help it to neutralize the threats that think they can come in safely on it if used carefully.
For fun but niche and mostly flavorful options, I also felt like adding Life Dew, which it will probably not use in singles but suits its behavior of supporting other Pokémon by sharing its bubble with them and also meshes well with its substantially increased bulk, and Purify, which...
... okay realistically it will probably not use Purify either but hear me out okay--
The only Pokémon that has Purify right now has that and Recover, so it's never been worth trying to exploit it in singles. There's no reason to pull off wacky status techs to try to squeeze every bit of longevity you can out of a Pyukumuku - if you're not using Purify primarily to cure your allies, you can will always just fall back on Recover. Araquanid doesn't have that option, and it does have three different ways to set three different status conditions itself and the potential to rely on ally support like Toxic Spikes to try to enable Purify.
It sounds really unwieldy and I don't think many people would seriously choose it over Pain Split or... well... any better move Araquanid has to offer (it's not like it's struggling to fill its moveslots!), but it just sounds so much more engaging than Recover in a casual environment and like the kind of move that would be fun to have when you're messing around, and it suits Araquanid's nature quite well.

It's probably obvious by now that I'm not setting out to create something radically meta-shaping and epic here, but I think this could be a fun Mega to use, and I hope it offers enough over its base form to be worth considering while sticking close to what makes me love Araquanid so much. C:
New Ability
: Liquid Web (When this pokemon damages another with a water type move, the target has the liquid web status applied to it for 1 turn.)
The affected pokemon is trapped and is weak to bug.

New stats: 68/110/132/50/152/42
HP: 68 (+0)
Attack: 70 --> 110 (+40)
Defense: 92 --> 132 (+40)
Special Attack: 50 (+0)
Special Defense: 132 --> 152 (+20)
Speed: 42 (+0)
(BST) 454 --> 554

Description: Araquanid's water moves are filled with a sticky web-like substance. This web entangles opponents and makes them an easy prey for Araquanid's bug moves. Being able to hit any pokemon for super effective damage allows Mega-Araquanid to make progress against many teams.
(please yell at me if I messed anything up or missed anything!)

Edit 1/22/2021 @ 17:00 GMT - added lydian's Cacturne back!! Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for the update!

Reminder on Voting Rules

For a reminder, Megas for All uses a variation on instant runoff voting, meaning that it uses a systematic process of elimination to find the submission that's supported by the most people. This system takes into account both the total number of people who voted for the submission at all and how those people ranked it in relation to any other submissions that have not been eliminated.

Your votes should consist of however many submissions you like.​
Including a submission in your post at all is "voting for it," but you can vote for as many (or as few) as you want! It doesn't have to be exactly three.​
Your votes should also be ranked from most preferred to least preferred, just like they were in the previous system.​

It's also now acceptable to self-vote in first!​
One of the benefits of the new system is that you get less extreme an advantage from this and there's not as much room for one individual to swing the results dramatically in their own favor, so we can afford to loosen up the rules in that area.​
That said, I would still ask you to include at least two other people in your vote if one of your votes is for yourself (this was already in the rules before).​

Please make sure you tell inkbug if you edit your vote! He generally adds them to his list as soon as they're posted, so edits may go unnoticed. You can contact him on his profile here or on the Discord. C:​

Voting will last until 0:00 GMT on Sunday, the 24th of January!

Balance Changes and Other Updates

As mentioned earlier today, we have a few new balance changes to discuss! Two of these are nerfs, and one of them is a buff.

As usual, we will require at least a 60% supermajority in the poll to go through with each of these changes.
That said, these are changes that the original creators of these Megas support and have also all been approved by the council, so now we're just checking the public opinion before we go through with them!

For those interested, the affected Mega Evolutions are Meganium, Dhelmise and Rillaboom!

:meganium: Mega Meganium is a threatening but time-sensitive sweeper that functions at its best in the sun, but it suffers from being too easily walled during its limited time to shine, especially by common Flying-types like Corviknight. We felt that the coverage that would help it the most without pushing it too far was Rock-type coverage, making it capable of hitting Flying-types without giving it super effective coverage on Grass-types so that defensive counterplay could remain intact; however, with how hard Meganium can hit under optimal circumstances, we were wary of jumping all the way from nothing to Stone Edge without any middle ground and wanted to make sure it could still be handled defensively, particularly since it already has Earthquake and that can't be taken away from it - the two are known to pair well together. We've decided to run with Rock Slide for the time being - a weaker Rock coverage move that keeps it from being helpless against Flying-types without being overly strong in neutral situations. If it needs it, we can still revisit this later to give Stone Edge a chance! but we agreed to try the smaller step of Rock Slide first before going all the way.

:dhelmise: Mega Dhelmise has been one of the strongest Pokémon in our metagame since its introduction - with its impressive bulk and defensive type (augmented by Primordial Sea's built-in Fire immunity) combined with Swords Dance access and raw power, it can come in safely and make progress on an extremely wide range of Pokémon. It also has trapping to pair with its boosting and dangerously exploit opposing stall teams, and if it's ever in any danger, it can easily pivot out with Flip Turn often without taking a hit first. Dhelmise doesn't always need to outspeed everything, either - it can still get the jump on most defensive Pokémon easily with little to no investment, so it can pick a Speed tier below its own and use excess EVs to augment its bulk even further. With all of this in mind, it's been decided by our competitive council that the combination of these traits is too much on Dhelmise, and we're hoping to nerf it by substantially lowering its Speed, which has a number of benefits - making it harder to use Flip Turn when actually faced with a threat (forcing it to take a hit before it uses Flip Turn or to hard-switch out rather than making immediate progress), making it require more Speed investment and therefore less bulk investment to reach the benchmarks it wants, and making it less likely to tear through unprepared slower teams because the range of Pokémon it can KO without taking a hit is much smaller.

Finally, :rillaboom: Mega Rillaboom sorry this one's my fault is an extremely dangerous setup sweeper that has the bulk to use Swords Dance multiple times and one of the strongest priority moves in the game to circumvent its low Speed; unlike base Rillaboom, its setup sweeps are also not naturally on a timer, as its Ability Arena Rock trades team support for longevity and lets Rillaboom use Grassy Glide freely for as long as it remains on the field. Ideally, the best forms of counterplay for a Pokémon like this would be to cripple it or force it out with status or to deal more damage than it can heal off; however, Mega Rillaboom also has Jungle Healing, an incredibly useful stallbreaking tool that lets it shrug off status and often makes it harder to take down in conjunction with the passive healing of its terrain. Mega Rillaboom is actually one of the oldest Pokémon in the mod, but because of its base form's viability, it's long been underestimated, and many have assumed that it wouldn't be worth using over base Rillaboom with another item and another Mega - this same concern is exactly why its Mega Evolution was so optimized in the first place, in fact - but... well, now that it's seeing more use, it turns out that it's not only amazing at its job but probably too much so! The addition of Jungle Healing makes it dangerously hard to wear down over time and super unfriendly to stall teams, which have few better ways to handle it; with that in mind, it's been decided that for Mega Rillaboom to be a balanced addition to the metagame, that move should probably be dropped.

As usual, this poll will last just as long as the voting period for slate 26, and the results will be announced at the same time! We'd love to have everyone's input on this, so please vote to let us know how you feel about them! C:

Slate 28

Based on the results of the latest poll, slate 28 will be a fox-themed slate (I suggested this one!) - the Pokémon we'll be doing next are :ninetales-alola: Mega Alolan Ninetales, :zoroark: Mega Zoroark and :delphox: Mega Delphox!

To keep the thread organized, I ask that you refrain from posting your submissions here until the submission phase begins, but remember that the Discord is always a fantastic place to discuss ideas and get feedback on your submissions even before the slate opens!

We've also been trying something new recently to try and accommodate for the sheer volume of slate suggestions we've had lately - based on a list of everyone's recent slate suggestions compiled by BitBitio, inkbug has made this poll of all potential candidates for the next slate!
We'll start by voting on this preliminary poll every week to see what the most popular slates on the masterlist are, including any new suggestions that have been made recently, and then we'll have a more narrowed-down poll once the next slate opens like we always do, so you can vote on that throughout the week!

>>> Future Slates Poll (Part I) <<<

Next Research Tournament on Saturday!

BitBitio is hosting our second official research tournament this Saturday, the 23rd of January, at 19:00 GMT!
The focus is on exploring our newest Mega Evolutions and the ones that have had balance changes since our winter break tournaments.
Unlike last time, you're not required to use only these Pokémon, but you are requested to build at least one team with one of the following Mega Evolutions and use it in the tour:

:exploud::bibarel::kricketune::leavanny::klinklang::bisharp::aurorus::noivern::toxtricity:

We have this Challonge page where you can sign up to participate!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)