XY Doubles Meloetta and the Treblemakers: An XY Doubles RMT (Peaked #23)

Meloetta and the Treblemakers

Introduction

Hey, everyone! I decided to create a second RMT after receiving positive feedback from my Keldeo Gang or Die team, and I thought it would be cool to share a team I made that revolved around an underrated Doubles threat in Meloetta. I loved the fact Meloetta possessed only two weaknesses in Bug and Dark; with the right support I believed I could construct an effective team with her as the star of the show. I've had significant success when using this team, and I even managed to peak #23 on the Smogon Doubles leaderboard with it. Anyway, let's get into the RMT!
proof of ladder peak.PNG

Teambuilding Process

I saw that Meloetta had a noticeable weakness against Dark-type Pokemon, so I chose to use Keldeo-Resolute as he resisted Dark-type attacks and scared them away with his powerful STAB Secret Sword. He could also switch into an incoming Bug-type attack targeting Meloetta, given I didn't lead with Keldeo.

After adding Keldeo to my team, I realized I needed a Psychic-type and Flying-type resist. Bisharp was the perfect choice due to the fact he was immune against Psychic-type moves and resisted Flying-type moves. Not to mention Bisharp had Defiant and was great for taking out common Trick Room setters with his dual STABs.

I chose to add Heatran as the fourth member of my team after seeing I was extremely weak to Mega Charizard Y or Sun teams in general. He was immune to Fire-type attacks, and could absolutely wall Mega Charizard Y, Venusaur, and other common Sun sweepers. Heatran also gave my team a 4X Fairy-type resist, which was very useful in the long run.

I noticed I was also fairly weak to Rain teams, leading me to select Mega Venusaur as my fifth member and my Mega Evolution. His ability Thick Fat negated his Fire-type and Ice-type weakness, and he had the ability to wall most Water-types and kill them with STAB Giga Drain. Venusaur also assisted in stopping Trick Room from getting up with Sleep Powder.

Zapdos was the final member of my team, providing a Ground-type immunity to switch into for Heatran and Bisharp. I was also able to switch into Zapdos when a Flying-type move was targeting either Venusaur or Keldeo. He was basically a bulkier Thundurus that had access to Tailwind for a potential late-game sweep.

Meloetta @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
-
Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Meloetta is extremely underrated Doubles threat, possessing a high base 128 Special Attack stat, while having a nice 100 / 77 / 128 bulk. I chose Psyshock over Psychic mainly because I wanted to be able to hit specially defensive Pokemon hard, notably Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir. STAB Hyper Voice is a useful spread move which deals a great amount of damage to any opponent that doesn't resist it, and I found it very effective as it could even hit through annoying Substitutes. With Landorus-T and Garchomp being commonplace in the Smogon Doubles metagame, I opted to give Meloetta HP Ice to OHKO both of those threats with a 4X super effective attack; it caught many opponents off guard as they didn't expect their Lando-T or Garchomp to go down so easily from Meloetta. Protect is an obvious staple to shield against any threatening attacks coming Meloetta's way. She acts as a bulky special attacker on this team who can potentially pull off a late-game sweep if left unchecked.
Synergy

- Keldeo, Bisharp
- Keldeo, Heatran, Zapdos

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Keldeo was a great partner to Meloetta, taking care of threatening Dark-types (Tyranitar, Bisharp, Hydreigon) with his powerful STAB Secret Sword. Scald is a reliable STAB Water-type move as it had 100% accuracy with a nice 30% chance to burn and cripple the opponent. I don't like using Hydro Pump as it only has 85% accuracy and it could cost me the match if I miss the attack. Quick Guard protected Keldeo and his partner from Fake Out, priority attack moves such as Talonflame's Brave Bird, and Prankster Thunder Wave, Swagger, and Taunt. Keldeo is probably my most favorite Pokemon to use; I love his dual STAB coverage, giving him the ability to hit 8 types super effectively. Keldeo allows me to OHKO Landorus-T, Tyranitar, Terrakion and even Mega-Kangaskhan; four huge threats in Smogon Doubles.​

Synergy

- Venusaur
- Bisharp, Heatran, Venusaur, Zapdos
- Bisharp, Heatran, Zapdos
- Meloetta, Bisharp, Heatran
- Heatran, Venusaur

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Bisharp provided me with a Psychic immunity and he absolutely decimated Trick Room teams, OHKOing common TR setters such as Reuniclus, Cofagrigus, and Aromatisse with STAB Knock Off and Iron Head. Heck, a Knock Off from LO Bisharp even has a 6.3% chance to OHKO 252 HP / 0 Def Cresselia, further revealing his sheer power. Bisharp makes Intimidate and Icy Wind users pay with his Defiant ability for a free Attack boost, and it is extremely helpful in a metagame with Landorus-T and Hitmontop present on numerous teams. Knock Off displaced items of recovery such as Sitrus Berries and Leftovers, and Iron Head gave me Fairy-type coverage and a chance to flinch the opponent. STAB Sucker Punch enables him to hit Pokemon that outspeed him first, and with a Defiant Attack boost, he can sweep a team all by himself with a +1 or +2 Sucker Punch.
Synergy

-
Keldeo, Heatran
- Venusaur, Zapdos
- Zapdos

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SAtk / 80 Spd
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Protect

Heatran is basically my answer to Sun teams with his Fire immunity, walling Mega Charizard Y + Venusaur and Co. I also loved the fact he had a 4X resist against Fairy-type moves, making him the perfect switch-in when a Pixilate Hyper Voice or Moonblast was targeting Keldeo or Bisharp. STAB Heat Wave is of course a staple onto any Heatran, but I included Ancient Power to surprise Talonflame, Volcarona, and Mega Charizard Y for 4X super effective damage (plus a nice 10% chance to get a +1 boost in 5 stat categories). Earth Power is to OHKO opposing Heatran, but I gave mine 80 Speed EVs to speed creep opposing Heatran's who commonly carry 76 Speed EVs. The Shuca Berry allows Heatran to survive most Ground-type attacks, especially an opposing Earth Power form an opponent's Heatran.
Synergy

-
Keldeo, Venusaur
- Venusaur, Zapdos
- Zapdos

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 200 HP / 16 Def / 232 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Mega Venusaur is very bulky with 80 / 123 / 120 defenses, and Rain teams have a hard time taking this guy out. Against Sun teams, I have the option of not Mega Evolving Venusaur so that I can utilize his Chlorophyll ability to outspeed and spam Sleep Powder. Even still, in his Mega Evolution Thick Fat negates his Fire-type weakness and he can take a hit from Mega Charizard Y and put him to sleep after. STAB Leaf Storm hits hard and can OHKO 252 HP / 252 SpD+ Rotom-Wash, while Sludge Bomb 2HKOs most Fairy-types with a nice change of poisoning for residual damage. Keldeo also gave Venusaur protection against Talonflame's priority Brave Bird with Quick Guard, which was very useful in the long run. Venusaur was also a good pair alongside Bisharp to stop Trick Room, putting TR setters or sweepers to Sleep while Bisharp destroys them with STAB Knock Off.
Synergy

-
Keldeo, Heatran (Fire-type weakness negated as Mega Venusaur)
- Keldeo, Bisharp, Heatran (Ice-type weakness negated as Mega Venusaur)
- Bisharp, Heatran, Zapdos
- Meloetta, Bisharp, Heatran

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 144 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Protect

Last but not least, Zapdos! He's kind of like a bulky Thundurus, but what really set him apart was the fact he had access to Tailwind. Tailwind gave my team the speed advantage and even let me pull off multiple late-game sweeps in a number of battles. The 144 HP EVs make the HP of Zapdos hit an odd number to take minimal residual weather damage from Hail or Sand. The 108 Speed EVs enable him to outspeed the base 70 Speed tier Pokemon with a positive nature (Jolly Breloom) by a point. STAB Thunderbolt to hit Water-types and Flying-types hard, and HP Ice is the second move of choice for extra coverage against Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Salamence. Zapdos has been forgotten in the Doubles scene ever since Thundurus became the go-to Electric-type with his introduction of the 5th Generation of Pokemon; I thought it would be cool to showcase how viable and effective Zapdos can be in the XY Doubles metagame.
Synergy

-
Keldeo, Bisharp, Heatran
- Keldeo, Bisharp
Replays

vs. Leon Greco
- Goodstuffs Team
vs. NOT-Electrolyte - Semi-Rain Team
vs. LT Proxymoron - Goodstuffs Team
vs. LT Proxymoron (2nd time) - Goodstuffs Team
vs. LK-Sm0ke - Goodstuffs Team
vs. Fod - Beat Up + Justified Team
vs. Krabby - Goodstuffs Team
vs. Valcoran - Semi-Trick Room Team
vs. red hurricane - Goodstuffs Team
vs. ThoriumIodine - Semi-Rain Team
vs. LT Matthew - Goodstuffs Team
vs. LT Arcticblast - Goodstuffs Team
vs. Piccolo1010 - Trick Room Team
vs. Piccolo1010 (2nd time) - Trick Room Team
vs. Carlucci - Goodstuffs Team
vs. daffadil - Goodstuffs Team
vs. KingRuebs - Goodstuffs Team
vs. locoghoul - Semi-Sun Team
vs. Tuath - Goodstuffs Team
vs. Miega Mike - Goodstuffs Team
vs. LT U-Turn - Goodstuffs Team

Meloetta @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Quick Guard
- Protect

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SAtk / 80 Spd
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power
- Protect

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect

Zapdos @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 144 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Tailwind
- Protect

Shoutout to everyone who is part of the awesome Doubles community! I'm not doing individual shoutouts because apparently I'm terrible at doing that. ;-;

Conclusion

Thanks to anyone who took their time to read this RMT! This was a really fun team to use, and I'm open to any suggestions or rates you guys may have. :]​

Last edited:
Hey pinoy, nice team! I'm glad to see that you took my suggestion for an RMT name :). I have a few suggestions for you that will help your team deal with more strategies and Pokémon overall.

First, I'd like to look at your Meloetta set. Currently, you have Hidden Power Ice, which really dissapoints me as Meloetta as it has an incredibly diverse movepool. Second, you're lacking Relic Song, which switches Meloetta to a far superior forme and allows it a STAB which will destroy Heatran, which is important for your team. I've seen some suggestions as to AV as well; with so much Fake Out around, I think keeping Protect is your best option. For real though, I'd go Relic Song > Hyper Voice and Close Combat or Drain Punch > Hidden Power. Meloetta really appreciates the diversity and the ability to get past the ever-present Heatran. If you're not willing to do that, at least go something other than HP Ice. Meloetta really has such a diverse movepool, and chances are Landorus-T is going to opt to U-turn Meloetta before it can fire off its hit. For this role, I recommend Shadow Ball to help you beat Aegislash 1v1 after you (hopefully) switch into a Shadow Ball of its own.

I also see a bit of a weakness to Deoxys-Attack. Even Zapdos, one of your best candidates to take it on, takes a ton of damage:

252 SpA Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zapdos: 318-375 (82.8 - 97.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meloetta does help out, but should it carry Dark Pulse or Knock Off, you're in for a beating, even though Deo-A won't sweep on it own. This means that to beat this pokemon well, you need either a) more priority or b) a more reliable way to get up Tailwind. For this purpose, your team may need a bit more tweaking, which I'm happy to suggest.

I recommend Amoonguss > Mega Venusaur and Mega Tyranitar > Bisharp. This is probably going to come as a surprise because I just said you need priority and I took away your only priority. I'm also compounding a few of your weaknesses, but hear me out. Amoonguss is going to help draw away attacks for your other Pokemon to get good hits in or, most importantly, set up a Tailwind to deal with certain Pokemon. I used to underrate the mushroom a lot too, but I think it will really help. Focus Sash is an absolute headache for teams utilizing tailwind, because no matter how fast you are, they will get a hit off and probably a powerful one. Sand will help out with that and breaking sashes should they decide to use Protect. Since you are replacing your mega evolution with Amoonguss, you might as well make it Tyranitar your new mega-evolving Pokemon. Ttar also really synergizes with your team by giving you extra insurance against Sun teams and Flying-type moves. You do lose priority, but TTar is bulky enough, and with tailwind, fast enough to not need it. You also lose the powerful Anti-TR-Setter in Bisharp, but in return you gain the ability to Spore or wall pretty much everything that's used in Trick Room.

Plus, Bisharp is an iffy TR counter IMO.
252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 322-382 (79.3 - 94%) -- Aromatisse + Fake Out = OP

Whew, that was a bit of a long rate, but I hope you'll consider my suggestions, and I hope to see this team more in the future. :)

Meloetta @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Relic Song
- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: null Spe
- Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Rage Powder
- Protect

Tyranitar @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Rock Slide
- Low Kick
- Protect

EDIT: If you want nickname recommendations, just let me know friend ;)

Last edited:

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Pinoy!

As usual, this is definitely a well built team. Nice work :)

Honestly there are no major holes but extra Speed control would definitely be helpful, especially because the team leans towards the bulky side. Powerful setup sweepers like DD Zard X or DD Mega Gyara or even PuP Kang can give this team some trouble.

One thing I'm going to suggest is Icy Wind over Quick Guard on Keldeo. As the fastest member of the team, Keldeo can utilize the move to slow down opponents. Plus, it gives you a gradual, damaging way to do so so you don't have to haul Zapdos in when you want to fight on equal ground with Hyper Offense. For this team especially, Quick Guard seems unnecessary. Most of the Pokemon can shrug off priority attacks. Sucker Punch can be bypassed with Sleep Powder, while Zapdos and Heatran easily counter Talonflame. You'd definitely prefer the ability to slow opponents down.

Also, on Heatran, Stone Edge is more powerful than Ancient Power, especially against Mega Charizard Y. Stone Edge OHKOs 65% of the time (factoring miss chance) compared to 12.5% of the time with Ancient Power. If you want consistent damage, ignore this, but if you want reliable damage, try it out.

Pretty cool team, nice to see more stuff from ya Pinoy

Hi Pinoy. You have a really solid team, and I'm glad to see a variety of different Pokemon used in this meta. Anyways here are some suggestions

I do like the Icy Wind idea on Keldeo. Your team doesn't suffer against priority, as you have a switch for almost every priority user. Like Electrolyte said, the ability to allow your teammates to attack first and to have a unnecessary move swapped out is great.

I also suggest HP Ground over HP Ice on Meloetta. You have lots of good switchin to Landorus-T and Garchomp, plus Landorus-T would probably U-Turn out (haha) dealing a huge chunk of damage and making Meloetta miss its main target. HP Ground allows.you to hit the Heatrans that love to wall you, as well as nailing Steel types on the switch which would otherwise wall Meloetta. Overall I think HP Ground has a little more utility and should definately be considered.

Otherwise this is a really solid team and keep up the good work!

Solid looking team (best RMT format ever). This Rate is gonna have a part for Venu and Zapdos

Slow bulky attackers like mega venusaur are not optimized with 252/252 spreads. Here are 4 complex EV spreads I invite you to try, they get weirder as you go down the list but they all have uses.
Regardless of whether or not you use one of these spreads, I reccomend you switch Giga Drain to Leaf Storm because 252+ modest Giga Drain does not 2HKO Standard Rotom-Wash through Sitrus Berry (Energy Ball does most of the time but not always). That being said, some of these spreads use Giga Drain so do whatever you wanna do!

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 196 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect
  • same moveset as your original
  • Hits 211 speed: outspeeds 8 speed Rotom-Wash and 252 speed + adamant nature scarfed Lando T when you are not mega evolved + in the sun
EVs: 200 HP / 16 Def / 236 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect
  • outspeeds 0 speed rotom-wash and OHKOs 252HP/252SDef variants with Leafstorm 100% of the time
  • HP Fire is a 2HKO on 252HP Mega Scizor, and 252Atk adamant Bug Bite from Mega Scizor is a 3HKO (you beat it 1v1)

EVs: 244 HP / 136 Def / 68 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect
  • Survives Life Orb Adamant Brave Bird from Talonflame
  • same moveset as original
  • Hits the same 211 speed stat from 1st spread
  • remaining 68 EVs dumped into SPA

EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 160 SpA / 32 SpD / 60 Spe
Serious Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Protect
  • Sludge Bomb + Leaf Storm will OHKO 4Hp Mega Kangaskhan 100% of the time (Return is always a 2HKO on you though so play safe)
  • hits the same 211 speed stat from 1st spread
  • 252 HP with 4 Def and 32 SpD to round off bulk without giving Genesect a physical attack boost

"The 144 HP EVs make the HP of Zapdos hit an odd number to take minimal residual weather damage from Hail or Sand"
This is incorrect. The actual formula for an HP stat to take reduced sand/hail damage is HP stat=16*n-1 where n is a real number.
To accomplish this, EV investment into HP for Zapdos must be one of the following: 248, 184, 120, or 56.
Given that you want 108 speed to outspeed Jolly Breloom, I suggest a spread of 184 HP / 216 SpA / 108 Spe This will give you the bench marks you wanted, give Zapdos plenty of bulk, with more than enough Special Attack to OHKO Landorus T with HP Ice.
Or if you want max special attack you can run 120 HP / 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 108 Spe. I put the last 28 EVs in SDef but you can put them in either Defence stat if youd rather.

That being said, none of this is really a big deal given that you don't use either hail or sand. :p I probably wouldn't bother

Last edited:
EVs: 200 HP / 16 Def / 232 SpA / 60 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect
  • outspeeds 4 speed rotom-wash and OHKOs 252HP/252SDef variants with Leafstorm 100% of the time
  • HP Fire is a 2HKO on 252HP Mega Scizor, and 252Atk adamant Bug Bite from Mega Scizor is a 3HKO (you beat it 1v1)
Yo, I implemented your second Mega Venusaur set, and I'm really liking it. :] I kept Sleep Powder > Hidden Power Fire because Trick Room would kill me without it, but other than that I implemented the nice EV spread (OHKOing Max HP Max SpD+ Rotom-W is great) and Leaf Storm. :D Thanks for the rate, fren.

Last edited:
Nice team, especially with the focus on special attackers, fuck Landoge!

Apart from the changes that Kyle suggested, I would recommend some cushion against physical attacks
Venusaur just doesn´t like to switch in on Mama, at least not if its boosted and gives a fuck about wasting a moveslot for FakeOut. I had some success with Reflect on Keldeo on the higher ladder to lessen the pressure on more bulky team members.

Also lacks Teeter Dance! You did not try hard enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)