Serious [Meme]Change my mind: My brother did

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
the title says meme, and i can't tell if it's because you're just making fun of the change my mind meme, but if you are serious about purchasing a firearm, here are my concerns:

1) you want to purchase a firearm but seem to suggest you don't know how to use one
2) if you are carrying a firearm and get involved in a situation where you are forced to draw your weapon, you are conveying a message that you are willing to kill which is going to escalate whatever situation you're in (guns do not de-escalate situations like in movies)
3) you will be a black man in America carrying a gun and that's all a cop will need to say before being placed on paid administrative leave
I am surprised that this thread has reached 3 pages, almost as surprised as the cops being brought up again after me having just addressed what seems like the same reoccurring point.

I guess this country is in even worse shape than i imagined, and thats coming from a black guy. Thats fucked up

I'll address the rest of your post later

Ninahaza

Still didn't change my mind. In fact some posts in here have just convinced me that America is a shithole, despite how much make up it puts on daily and pretends

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
Really dont know why people are denying Ninahazas black point of view with regards to owning a gun. I really should sit down listen to POC perspectives on this instead of lecturing an oppressed person on what he should or shouldnt own and what makes him feel safe

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
No one is denying his point of view? In fact everyone here is just reiterating "it's a fuckin danger my guy". And it's something he agrees with??

But go off, I guess. Roast those libs for virtue signalling or whatever it is you think you're doing.

RODAN

Banned deucer.
its not saying that you are virtue signalling, its just saying that there are some things a white person will have an inherently biased perspective of and that you should generally not racesplain to someone who is actually of the race. it makes you come off as if you know more about the plight of the african american than someone who has the lived experience. its something that you simply lack the knowledge of due to the colour of your skin. it's no fault of yours but there will always be a level of privilege to your viewpoint that may not ally with what black america themselves think.

Reactions: BP
Really dont know why people are denying Ninahazas black point of view with regards to owning a gun. I really should sit down listen to POC perspectives on this instead of lecturing an oppressed person on what he should or shouldnt own and what makes him feel safe
Disagreeing =/= denying perspective. In fact, listening to him but offering advice contrary to his wishes is paramount to healthy debate, especially if he actually considers what we're saying. If I didn't have a shred of compassion for other human beings, I, a complete stranger, wouldn't care to post in this thread.

On paper, the idea of owning a gun for self-protection sounds obvious but it's a false sense of security. Owning a gun compels you to take more risks. Owning a gun makes you more reckless. There are incidents where people had a confrontation and one person died because a person felt threatened to use a gun rather than do more sensible things like calling security or the police. Owning a gun increases the chance of a suicide. Owning a gun increases the chances of it getting robbed and then misused against you. Owning a gun and brandishing one during a robbery will increase your chances of getting shot by the police.

And on top of this, actual "self-defense" incidents are really rare and don't make up for the times where a gun hurt or killed someone, including children and others mishandling guns.

I base my evidence on mostly this

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/
People tend to think "oh no, I'm responsible" and assume the statistics don't apply to them, but I'm afraid that's not how statistics work, and those people involved in statistics surely had the same thoughts to you prior to turning into a statistic. You don't get any real returns on owning a gun.

So you should take my advice into consideration and proceed very cautiously, if at all.

Ninahaza

1) you want to purchase a firearm but seem to suggest you don't know how to use one
2) if you are carrying a firearm and get involved in a situation where you are forced to draw your weapon, you are conveying a message that you are willing to kill which is going to escalate whatever situation you're in (guns do not de-escalate situations like in movies)
3) you will be a black man in America carrying a gun and that's all a cop will need to say before being placed on paid administrative leave
1) i also seem to suggest, MULTIPLE times, that i am being trained on how to use one and store one safely.

Its funny, in the op, i said my brother was a marine, and a john wick with a gun. I also suggested that he WANTS to be the one to train me.

Also fun fact: till this day i have never been able to find a firearm of his. Maybe it helps that we are a family that doesnt just hang them up on a wall for show and giggles

You know what? i am so sick and tired of answering reoccurring points, that i am going to take a 5 before getting back to the rest of you. I wont even bother replying to the rest of faints post

Last edited:
Cmv doesn't mean you should bow down to typical regurgitated talking points? Taylor made a great post imo.

1) i also seem to suggest, MULTIPLE times, that i am being trained on how to use one and store one safely.

Its funny, in the op, i said my brother was a marine, and a john wick with a gun. I also suggested that he WANTS to be the one to train me.

Also fun fact: till this day i have never been able to find a firearm of his. Maybe it helps that we are a family that doesnt just hang them up on a wall for show and giggles

You know what? i am so sick and tired of answering reoccurring points, that i am going to take a 5 before getting back to the rest of you. I wont even bother replying to the rest of faints post
Most of the points pretty simply boil down to “its dangerous.”

Like, I know you’re getting the training, and that’s great. I’m of the opinion that everybody should be properly trained on how to handle a firearm. It makes lives so much easier if the situation comes up. But the safety of knowing how to use one safely doesn’t really mean the risks are outweighed by benefits.

Truth be told, I think this is a question for after you get ALL the relevant training on the matter. The issue of “should I have a gun” is much better left for when you know how to use one fully.

Ninahaza

Buddy, its 8 am on a Sunday. Why did you quote me out of context? Did you read that entire post?

Ugh, i haven't even responded to TIK and rodan yet.

Lets see.
A)Yes you shouldn't try to be a hero and save a cop. They are there to do the protecting.
If you see a bunch of cops just being mowed down by some douche bags, do not run in there screaming "LEEEROOYYYYYY JENKINSSSSSS".

B) You must have an absolutely abysmal imagination to think there is no situation where you can make a difference that may lead to saving a life, even if that life happens to be working for a badge

Last edited:

Ninahaza

I have been doing a bit of cleaning up in this thread. Let me know if i deleted a post you feel should still stand.
sounds like you just really want a gun and never wanted to engage in a cmv anyway
I think you read too much into my(that specific) post.

Disagreeing =/= denying perspective. In fact, listening to him but offering advice contrary to his wishes is paramount to healthy debate, especially if he actually considers what we're saying. If I didn't have a shred of compassion for other human beings, I, a complete stranger, wouldn't care to post in this thread.

On paper, the idea of owning a gun for self-protection sounds obvious but it's a false sense of security. Owning a gun compels you to take more risks. Owning a gun makes you more reckless. There are incidents where people had a confrontation and one person died because a person felt threatened to use a gun rather than do more sensible things like calling security or the police. Owning a gun increases the chance of a suicide. Owning a gun increases the chances of it getting robbed and then misused against you. Owning a gun and brandishing one during a robbery will increase your chances of getting shot by the police.

And on top of this, actual "self-defense" incidents are really rare and don't make up for the times where a gun hurt or killed someone, including children and others mishandling guns.

I base my evidence on mostly this

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/
People tend to think "oh no, I'm responsible" and assume the statistics don't apply to them, but I'm afraid that's not how statistics work, and those people involved in statistics surely had the same thoughts to you prior to turning into a statistic. You don't get any real returns on owning a gun.

So you should take my advice into consideration and proceed very cautiously, if at all.
I appreciate this post. As nightingales said above, a lot of posts boil down to "its just dangerous"

Your post echoes that sentiment. But this is perhaps the best post so far on this page. I will answer it in detail later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)