Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like it, gonna pitch something else using that idea that's a lot more situational but potentially extremely effective.

It's unfortunate that this gets so thoroughly dunked on by ground types, but any team without an electric immunity is going to have a tough time with Tapu Koko, since with Galvanize it get's an absurdly powerful Facade, along with being one of the fastest mons in the game. M-Beedrill doesn't gain much, but lends the team Adaptability and appreciates the tough claws boost, along with Galvanize allowing it to hit stuff like Celesteela for Super Effective, which would've previously walled it. Luxray isn't a great mon exactly, but get's a reasonably powerful priority move in Galvanize Quick Attack and lends Guts to everyone.

Also, if this goes up on ROM or something I would love to run a Pex/Ferrothorn/Garchomp core. Chip damage for days son.

Yeah I wasn't meaning to imply that Mold Breaker shouldn't be banned, since I agree with you on that, was just using it as an example of how certain abilities check other abilities, and so I think a semi-minimal banlist would be better to start off to see how all the abilities play off of eachother. Glad to hear that not all the abilities you listed are going to be on the initial banlist as that was my main concern, I think we're on the same page here.

I think Regenerator should be looked out for but not threat #1. It has absurdly good synergy with Pressure, Multiscale, Fur Coat, Magic Guard and others and could make combating stall nearly impossible for any team that doesn't carry massive wallbreaking power. (Though that's pretty achievable here so, again, not sure how powerful it'd be in practice)

Charizard-Y sounds strong, and is a fantastic weather setter, but honestly doesn't even come close to the firepower (lol) of something like Greninja. On top of that, it lacks priority and has a 4x weakness to Accelerock. Not a big deal except for the fact that I can see Lycanroc-dusk getting used a lot in this meta as one of the only non-mega tough claws donors. It's very threatening with Solar Power, but that requires the use of some extremely niche mons, and most Adaptability mons don't really benefit from Drought outside of the Chlorophyll boost. Meanwhile, every Chlorophyll donor is having their own weaknesses exacerbated by the sun. I still think Sun could end up being a better weather option than rain, but that doesn't mean Zard-Y is busted. Honestly I feel sand could be the most threatening atm.

Agree that banned abilities should still be allowed on mons that already get them and just not spread, at least at first, there aren't too many issues that spring to mind immediately other than Shedinja who would obviously need to be banned.

Also, like the core, but it seems a little underwhelming given how powerful a lot of this meta's threats could be.

Here's a fun idea that would devastate offense but be pretty lackluster against stall

Won't do great against teams with unaware, but Beast Boost + Moxie + Simple gives Stakataka +4 Attack after it's first KO, which it should have no problem getting in a meta where Surge Surfer, Swift Swim, Chlorophyll and Sand Rush are sure to be everywhere. Pair it with Dhelmise for even more raw power, and maybe a water absorb/levitate/sturdy user to ensure it has an easier time setting up Trick Room. If it sets up successfully, it can OHKO pretty much every offensive mon in the game with ease, even Fur Coat Kartana dies to +4 Steelworker Gyro.

Contrary + Simple is also really good against non unaware teams, the most obvious abuser I can think of being Victini. Able to net +2 Speed, Defense and SpDef with V-Create, and +4 SpAtk with Overheat is nothing to scoff at. Pair that with Stored Power and you've got a pretty solid offensive threat on your hands.
This is an issue I saw with Contrary off the bat and pretty much the reason it’s in the initial threatlist and not Simple. Simple requires the use of really really bad mons like Bibarel/Swoobat. One downside I see with Contrary, though, is that it can’t be used viably in tandem with stat-raising moves and abilities like Beast Boost, Quiver Dance, etc.

Another strategy I can see being useful is Magic Guard + Sturdy for balanced teams. Sturdy means all of your Pokemon will survive any hit at 100% and pretty much give them a turn to do anything they want. Also for the core you posted, Stakataka sounds like a lot of fun as a mon to use in an offense dominated meta. Lastly, Victini would definitely not be allowed if Contrary was. Stored Power / Overheat / V-create / filler is all it really needs and again, I don’t want this meta to turn into one where Heatran is a must. And as for the core I posted, well, it’s meant to be used alongside mons like Intimidate Lando-t, Toxapex, etc to give them more defensive power.

Another thing I wanted to share: in a meta without much hazard removal + HO bias, Sticky Web is gonna be a good playstyle.

Araquanid stands out as probably the best setter, donating the amazing Water Bubble to teams which gives a boost to Water moves, a legitimate resistance to Fire, and an immunity to troublesome burns. Shuckle offers one half of the nice Sturdy + Magic Guard combination, and can additionally set Stealth Rock for teams, also.

Why settle for something that any team with Unaware can wall, when you get get ridiculous power that ignores Unaware? I think this combo will be very dangerous (optionally replacing some of the mons with others sharing the same ability):

Linoone gives everyone Quick Feet, and the rest of the team donates abilities that boost attack power. If you don't like the accuracy drop from Hustle, you can either replace Crawdaunt with Machamp (to get No Guard) or replace Raticate with Breloom/Glisgor (to get Poison Heal).

Here's are a couple calcs:
252 Atk Guts Toxic Boost Hustle Adaptability Tough Claws Zangoose Facade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mew: 440-518 (108.9 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Guts Toxic Boost Hustle Adaptability Tough Claws Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 366-431 (90.5 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Or if Kyurem-B isn't banned and banned abilities aren't really banned, put Kyurem-B in Raticate's place and you get this:
252 Atk Guts Toxic Boost Adaptability Tough Claws Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fluffy Fur Coat Mew: 671-790 (166 - 195.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
I really like the creativity behind this. Just wondering though, how did you manage to get those calcs with all of those abilities at once? That’d be pretty helpful if/when this meta kicks off :)

On a last note: I still need a name for the metagame! Linkability would have been great in my opinion, but with the existence of Linked and Multibility, that can’t really happen. Let me know if any of you have suggestions! I actually brainstormed and threw in a few of my own:

- Shared Power (!!!)
- Strength In Numbers
- Divility

This is an issue I saw with Contrary off the bat and pretty much the reason it’s in the initial threatlist and not Simple. Simple requires the use of really really bad mons like Bibarel/Swoobat. One downside I see with Contrary, though, is that it can’t be used viably in tandem with stat-raising moves and abilities like Beast Boost, Quiver Dance, etc.

Another strategy I can see being useful is Magic Guard + Sturdy for balanced teams. Sturdy means all of your Pokemon will survive any hit at 100% and pretty much give them a turn to do anything they want. Also for the core you posted, Stakataka sounds like a lot of fun as a mon to use in an offense dominated meta. Lastly, Victini would definitely not be allowed if Contrary was. Stored Power / Overheat / V-create / filler is all it really needs and again, I don’t want this meta to turn into one where Heatran is a must. And as for the core I posted, well, it’s meant to be used alongside mons like Intimidate Lando-t, Toxapex, etc to give them more defensive power.

Another thing I wanted to share: in a meta without much hazard removal + HO bias, Sticky Web is gonna be a good playstyle.

Araquanid stands out as probably the best setter, donating the amazing Water Bubble to teams which gives a boost to Water moves, a legitimate resistance to Fire, and an immunity to troublesome burns. Shuckle offers one half of the nice Sturdy + Magic Guard combination, and can additionally set Stealth Rock for teams, also.

I really like the creativity behind this. Just wondering though, how did you manage to get those calcs with all of those abilities at once? That’d be pretty helpful if/when this meta kicks off :)

On a last note: I still need a name for the metagame! Linkability would have been great in my opinion, but with the existence of Linked and Multibility, that can’t really happen. Let me know if any of you have suggestions! I actually brainstormed and threw in a few of my own:

- Shared Power (!!!)
- Strength In Numbers
- Divility
How about Ability Potluck?

^ BYOBility ;)

In regards to Victini, I don't think it's entirely broken with contrary, as dark types + unaware/flash fire stop it dead, it's typing isn't great defensively, and it's speed tier is just okay. It's threatening but it's riskier to use than other offensive threats imo. I'd say at least suspect it, but a quickban is too much.

Also just thought of something:

It's a shame there are so few mons that get Storm Throw/Frost Breath, but whatever. Storm Throw always gets a crit, has it's power increased by Technician and Sniper, and can be boosted further by Tough Claws/Adaptability if you want. Pangoro also has the added benefit of being one of the few pokemon out there with access to Mold Breaker, meaning it can still get crits on stall teams with battle armor.

Last edited:

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
On a last note: [SIZE=5 said:
I still need a name for the metagame![/SIZE] Linkability would have been great in my opinion, but with the existence of Linked and Multibility, that can’t really happen. Let me know if any of you have suggestions! I actually brainstormed and threw in a few of my own:

- Shared Power (!!!)
- Strength In Numbers
- Divility
Abiliteam? Abilitrail?

Why settle for something that any team with Unaware can wall, when you get get ridiculous power that ignores Unaware? I think this combo will be very dangerous (optionally replacing some of the mons with others sharing the same ability):

Linoone gives everyone Quick Feet, and the rest of the team donates abilities that boost attack power. If you don't like the accuracy drop from Hustle, you can either replace Crawdaunt with Machamp (to get No Guard) or replace Raticate with Breloom/Glisgor (to get Poison Heal).

Here's are a couple calcs:
252 Atk Guts Toxic Boost Hustle Adaptability Tough Claws Zangoose Facade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Mew: 440-518 (108.9 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Guts Toxic Boost Hustle Adaptability Tough Claws Linoone Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mew: 366-431 (90.5 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Or if Kyurem-B isn't banned and banned abilities aren't really banned, put Kyurem-B in Raticate's place and you get this:
252 Atk Guts Toxic Boost Adaptability Tough Claws Teravolt Kyurem-Black Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fluffy Fur Coat Mew: 671-790 (166 - 195.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
where did you get the calcs?

WEATHERMONS
Metagame Premise: a Pet Mod which hopes to bring new light to pokemon that have potential to work well in teams, but falter and are deemed not good enough to use their weather sets to their full potential

Rules: Pokemon May have their Type, Ability, Stats, or Movepool changed to benefit from Weather. The changed stats may not be changed by more than 60 BST. There will be slates and voting, for which Pokemon become changed.
Example Pokemon:

I know I have posted this before, but here is a better explanation/revamp of the old one. Will upload Q&A Tomorrow.​
I quite like this pet mod idea

Last edited by a moderator:
In the calculator, I put Guts as the ability, then set Atk to +1 to simulate Hustle. Then I manually changed the base power to simulate the other abilities. The calcs might be a little off depending on how Toxic Boost works (I believe the simulator shows it as a boost to the attack stat, but the description in Teambuilder suggests it changes base power instead, not sure which is right so I went with base power because it was easier to simulate).

Also, if you're using my team, I recommend having a rock setter lead - it takes care of Sturdy and is virtually impossible to remove given this team's offensive presence.

Last edited:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
People have been alluding to Linked as of late, so I'm wondering what could be done in terms of bringing it back. The most obvious change would be the incorporation of Z-moves. I imagine these could be slightly interesting to allow a one-time use of a linked move outside of its link, for whatever reason; alternatively, in a more fun vein, use two Z-moves sequentially if they are both valid with the same stone! You could do something really wacky, like Z-Splash + Return... regular Lopunny. Was gonna say Gyarados but Splash is normal-type, so it'd have to resort to a non-STAB Return or something for this particular combo. A Z-Forest's Curse + Bloom Doom Trevenant could be interesting for a makeshift Clangorous Scales. Lots to think about here!

Last edited:

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
This would most likely be a Pet Mod if it were to be accepted. I posted this idea in the new Pet Mods General Discussion thread, since they allow idea pitches like this thread, but I'm going to post it here as well so I can get more thoughts.

The Chosen Ones

The main idea of this Pet Mod is that it will be a metagame with only 25 Pokemon in it, but since there are so few in it, it will make it very easy to balance and build teams for. This will be done by changing movepools, abilities, base stats, and rarely typings as well (mostly just for Pokemon whose roles are to be anti-meta like how Rotom is in NU), but not adding any signatures.

To decide which Pokemon will be in, we will have a vote for it. Users will submit up to four Pokemon per round that they think have an interesting concept (like with competitive use, with Mew's being a "jack of all trades, master of none.") There will then be a voting phase and the Pokemon with the most votes will be added in. This changes a little bit when we have 20, since the last 5 Pokemon will be for which Pokemon people think will balance the metagame the most (like if there's a metagame with 3 Fire Pokemon, maybe adding a Water and a Ground Pokemon, for example). After that, we'll buff or nerf them all to be in OU while keeping them true to their competitive roles.

As for questions...
- Is the method for choosing Pokemon too complicated or too much?
- Is the rule that you can for the most part only change movepools, abilities, and base stats too restricting for a Pet Mod?
- Anyone have any opinions, or are there any other problems I haven't noticed?

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Update on Linked: Hack Guy has voiced a severe distaste for the use of Z-moves, which makes sense considering how offensively powerful the sheer presence of two consecutive moves already is. Any second opinions would be much appreciated.

Meta Idea:

You are what you wear(help me come up with a better name)

your main typing is replaced with the corresponding item to the 1.2x boost secondary if shiny; the first move in move slot becomes a different type depending on item

Tapu Koko @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Electric Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Grass Knot
- Volt Switch

In this case tapu koko would become a ice electric type with dazzling gleam becoming a ice move

KyuremB
Having Powerful stab in ether fusion bolt into ice or becoming electric type or becoming steel dragon there is way to many things this can do

1.2x items can be plates, or the main 1.2x

is this to similar to a different meta?

Edit: It could be totally different from platemons or what ever that is called by removing the type change and just have the items changing the first moves typing would that be a better idea?

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
^ BYOBility ;)

In regards to Victini, I don't think it's entirely broken with contrary, as dark types + unaware/flash fire stop it dead, it's typing isn't great defensively, and it's speed tier is just okay. It's threatening but it's riskier to use than other offensive threats imo. I'd say at least suspect it, but a quickban is too much.

Also just thought of something:

It's a shame there are so few mons that get Storm Throw/Frost Breath, but whatever. Storm Throw always gets a crit, has it's power increased by Technician and Sniper, and can be boosted further by Tough Claws/Adaptability if you want. Pangoro also has the added benefit of being one of the few pokemon out there with access to Mold Breaker, meaning it can still get crits on stall teams with battle armor.
Ok but may i add

Behold, Immunities.
Flash Fire, Levitate, Sap Sipper, and Storm Drain, topped with a delicious Technician to boot.

Mintly

formerly Spook
is an Artist
if you change how an ability works it might end up as a pet mod also what is shared power? the byobility?
^this

usually if you change how a specific something works, it would classify as a pet mod. im also gonna say ive attempted at coding this with like zero luck, only because im a n00b at coding, so i might be of some use? ill keep trying, though.

Yeah I wouldn't want to see this as a pet mod tbh. Also, plus/minus giving an entire team +1 SpA with no drawbacks would be gross lol.

I really don't think Plus or Minus are abilities worth complaining about in this metagame. Like Haakunite said, the donors of either abilities are all subpar(nobody's gonna be using nonmega Manectric without Lightningrod, and nonmega Ampharos in general isnt a good pokemon in the slightest) - and even the ones that are half decent like Klingklang would work better as donors and pokemon themselves with other abilities, like Clear Body in Klingklang's case.

In general, I think going without the doubles abilities wouldn't be that big of a loss. Even for Healer and Flower Veil, donors aren't great pokemon overall - and in the case of Flower Veil and Healer better abilities can be donated, i.e. Comfey with Triage, or Alomomola with Regenerator.

^I don't think plus/minus really needs to be added to the mix, especially if it means changing mechanics. Also it sounds potentially busted lol. The name Shared Power is good, and I don't think the name of the meta really needs to have some variation of the word "ability" in it.

anyways um

Shiny Swap

A similar idea has been presented in this thread a while back, and seem to have gained traction but never went anywhere as far as I'm aware. I'll still present the idea since it's a simple one.

Metagame premise: A pokemon's shiny form will swap its base Atk with Def, SpA with SpD, HP with Spe (and maybe resistances with weaknesses).

Snorlax(N): 160 HP / 110 Atk / 65 Def / 65 SpA / 110 SpD / 30 Spe
Snorlax(S): 30 HP / 65 Atk / 110 Def / 110 SpA / 65 SpD / 160 Spe

Crobat(N): 85 HP / 90 Atk / 80 Def / 70 SpA / 80 SpD / 130 Spe
Crobat(S): 130 HP / 80 Atk / 90 Def / 80 SpA / 70 SpD / 85 Spe

Potential bans and threats:
-I can't think of anything obviously broken with this mechanic, but some speedy attackers would make really solid walls and some fat mons would be really dangerous offensively. Huge power mons like Azumarill and Mega Mawile get a significant buff, but they also take a hit to their bulk that may keep them balanced.
-I can see shiny Araquanid being insane with its base 132 SpA + Water Bubble. It's still weighed down somewhat by its mediocre base 68 speed and 42/70/50 defenses.
-Shiny Steelix is terrifying

Questions for the community:
-Is a simple stat swap too basic? Should something else change with the shiny form? If so, what aspect of a pokemon's abilities/movepool/etc can be "swapped" in a way that the shiny forms won't completely outshine their counterparts?
-Are shiny-based metagame ideas dumb?
-Would teams be comprised of mostly shiny counterparts or would normal forms still see a lot of use?

Last edited:
I think I jumped the gun posting this in submissiosn first, but I'll post it here now:

This metagame is meant to create endless possibilities by allowing you to change the stats and typing of a pokemon - within certain limits! You can "shift" a pokemon up and down the type chart, which will change both primary and secondary types by the same amount. Doing so will also "rotate" your base stats by however many spaces you moved on the type chart.

Take for example Regice:

Normal
Fire
Water
Grass
Electric
Ice
----------Shift Down Three Types \/
Fighting
Poison
Ground-----
From Ice to Ground
Flying
Psychic
Bug
Rock
Ghost
Dragon
Dark
Steel
Fairy

Rotate Stats Three Times:

HP: 80 - 50 - 200 - 100
Atk: 50 - 80 - 50 - 200
Def: 100 - 50 - 80 - 50
SpA: 100 - 100 - 50 - 80
SpD: 200 - 100 - 100 - 50
Spe: 50 - 200 - 100 - 100

Type: Ice

HP: 80
Atk: 50
Def: 100
SpA: 100
SpD: 200
Spe: 50

Type: Ground

HP: 100
Atk: 200
Def: 50
SpA: 80
SpD: 50
Spe: 100

* this could probably be represented better with a non-text graphic

You can rotate to any other type, essentially giving you access to 6 different stat spreads and three different type combos for each of them. This gives you a lot of options, but is also a bit of a puzzle, as not every desireable stat spread comes with a desireable typing, or vise-versa. I made this chart to help teambuilders: just Ctrl-F to find the pokemon and it will show you all of the possible stat/type combos.

I'm pretty sure the way to go with specifying the rotation in teambuilder would be to specify the type you want your primary type to rotate to. This should be the most simple and intuitive way to think of and specify the rotation. Off the top of my head this could be done with Hidden Power IV's, the type of the move in the first moveslot, or possibly putting a type into the Nickname (if that works).

As mentioned at the start, this concept was designed to get both typing and stats into flux in a way that was open ended but not wholly customizeable. These two traits will hopefully create a metagame that is a huge change of pace and highly conducive to creativity. The idea is to have a nearly endless mine of possibilities for teambuilders to explore.

Sounds fun but the possibilities are so huge that it's hard to wrap my head around it. Also, I noticed that you mixed up Kyurem-B and Kyurem-W's stats in that pastebin document. Otherwise looks good so far.

Well, it’s hardly altering how an ability works. The issue keeping this from being a mechanic is whether it’s necessary enough to add.

This is the description of Plus’s ability:

"When a Pokémon with Plus enters a battle and has an ally with Plus or Minus, the Special Attack stat of the Pokémon with Plus is increased by 50%.”

Technically, all 5 of your allies are active at once as they passively give off the effects of their ability to the entire team. All 5 of your teammates also have the Plus ability if you have the Plus ability, triggering the stat boost.

It has a massive drawback. Plus/Minus has the luxurious list of donors of Plusle, Minun, Ampharos, Dedenne, and Klingklang. You’re essentially playing with 5 Pokemon if you choose to use this ability, even though it’s great.
I mean, it's up to your discretion/the OM council, but I'm almost positive that if changes were made to how those abilities function/what classifies a pokemon as being 'active' etc., it would be classified as a pet mod. There's nothing wrong with that really, but I don't think Pet Mods are eligible for OMotM and I could see this being a really popular OM, so it'd be a shame to lose out on that. Not trying to butt heads, it's a great idea for a meta and I'd be stoked to play it regardless of OM/Pet Mod status, the only concern with that really is accessibility/amount of people who actively play it, as Pet Mods don't seem to be as popular from what I've seen.

Also I feel like Ampharos could actually be pretty decent with the right team support. Pair it with Tornadus-T and it'd be a solid RegenVest pivot with a Volt Switch that hits like a truck.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about the whole pet mod thing than how +/- would actually effect the meta, but it's all your call.

Last edited:
I think I jumped the gun posting this in submissiosn first, but I'll post it here now:

This metagame is meant to create endless possibilities by allowing you to change the stats and typing of a pokemon - within certain limits! You can "shift" a pokemon up and down the type chart, which will change both primary and secondary types by the same amount. Doing so will also "rotate" your base stats by however many spaces you moved on the type chart.

Take for example Regice:

Normal
Fire
Water
Grass
Electric
Ice
----------Shift Down Three Types \/
Fighting
Poison
Ground-----
From Ice to Ground
Flying
Psychic
Bug
Rock
Ghost
Dragon
Dark
Steel
Fairy

Rotate Stats Three Times:

HP: 80 - 50 - 200 - 100
Atk: 50 - 80 - 50 - 200
Def: 100 - 50 - 80 - 50
SpA: 100 - 100 - 50 - 80
SpD: 200 - 100 - 100 - 50
Spe: 50 - 200 - 100 - 100

Type: Ice

HP: 80
Atk: 50
Def: 100
SpA: 100
SpD: 200
Spe: 50

Type: Ground

HP: 100
Atk: 200
Def: 50
SpA: 80
SpD: 50
Spe: 100

* this could probably be represented better with a non-text graphic

You can rotate to any other type, essentially giving you access to 6 different stat spreads and three different type combos for each of them. This gives you a lot of options, but is also a bit of a puzzle, as not every desireable stat spread comes with a desireable typing, or vise-versa. I made this chart to help teambuilders: just Ctrl-F to find the pokemon and it will show you all of the possible stat/type combos.

I'm pretty sure the way to go with specifying the rotation in teambuilder would be to specify the type you want your primary type to rotate to. This should be the most simple and intuitive way to think of and specify the rotation. Off the top of my head this could be done with Hidden Power IV's, the type of the move in the first moveslot, or possibly putting a type into the Nickname (if that works).

As mentioned at the start, this concept was designed to get both typing and stats into flux in a way that was open ended but not wholly customizeable. These two traits will hopefully create a metagame that is a huge change of pace and highly conducive to creativity. The idea is to have a nearly endless mine of possibilities for teambuilders to explore.
Shedinja should definitely be banned. Some of its possible types have very few weaknesses, such as Dragon/Steel, Water/Electric, and Ghost/Dark. Also, your opponent won't know Shedinja's type until it gets sent out.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
^I don't think plus/minus really needs to be added to the mix, especially if it means changing mechanics. Also it sounds potentially busted lol. The name Shared Power is good, and I don't think the name of the meta really needs to have some variation of the word "ability" in it.

anyways um

Shiny Swap

A similar idea has been presented in this thread a while back, and seem to have gained traction but never went anywhere as far as I'm aware. I'll still present the idea since it's a simple one.

Metagame premise: A pokemon's shiny form will swap its base Atk with Def, SpA with SpD, and HP with Spe.

Snorlax(N): 160 HP / 110 Atk / 65 Def / 65 SpA / 110 SpD / 30 Spe
Snorlax(S): 30 HP / 65 Atk / 110 Def / 110 SpA / 65 SpD / 160 Spe

Crobat(N): 85 HP / 90 Atk / 80 Def / 70 SpA / 80 SpD / 130 Spe
Crobat(S): 130 HP / 80 Atk / 90 Def / 80 SpA / 70 SpD / 85 Spe

Potential bans and threats:
-I can't think of anything obviously broken with this mechanic, but some speedy attackers would make really solid walls and some fat mons would be really dangerous offensively. Huge power mons like Azumarill and Mega Mawile get a significant buff, but they also take a hit to their bulk that may keep them balanced.
-I can see shiny Araquanid being insane with its base 132 SpA + Water Bubble. It's still weighed down somewhat by its mediocre base 68 speed and 42/70/50 defenses.
-Shiny Steelix is terrifying

Questions for the community:
-Is a simple stat swap too basic? Should something else change with the shiny form? If so, what aspect of a pokemon's abilities/movepool/etc can be "swapped" in a way that the shiny forms won't completely outshine their counterparts?
-Are shiny-based metagame ideas dumb?
-Would teams be comprised of mostly shiny counterparts or would normal forms still see a lot of use?
it makes me want to theorymon so thats nice

First off I assume you're removing shiny-locks on mons. If I'm wrong tell me.

110/110/160/110/160/50... I think. How do megas work? Always the question with things like this.
55/10/10/135/75/255 Fastest mon possible with a decent spa. There is no point in investing in speed honestly, besides scarfers guess. Uninvested Blissey outspeeds everything up to fully invested positive natured base 200s or scarfed base 116s... and honestly everything above that except like special scarfed Snorlax is either A) trash B) banned or C) Blissey or Chansey. So it might run speed for itself I guess?
Blissey (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace / Natural CUre
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball

110/65/140/65/112/75... who cares about Defeatist when your attack stats suck anyway and you're bulky af?
Archeops @ Leftovers
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog / Toxic / Knock Off
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Knock Off
- U-turn

60/150/60/150/60/60... eg it gets shield stats in blade forme and blade stats in shield form. Trash. Might be worth unbanning if the meta gets powerful enough overall (remember non-shiny is still good).
70/180/95/45/85/50... Base 50 at level 100 with 31 IVs, 252+ EVs at +2: 436. Slow but very powerful and decently bulky. Might be better off with a band set than trying to smash.
Cloyster @ Choice Band
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

Cloyster @ Life Orb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Ice Shard

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)