Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also consider: an OM where the only difference is autocrit is like, really boring. STABmons gives everyone a ton of new toys to play with; Flipped recontextualizes every single Pokemon's statlines; teambuilding in Chimera is some wild big brain shit, Loser's Game is almost an entirely different game thanks to its reversed win condition.

This is just... the same game but everything hits obscenely hard. The only interesting aspects are the interactions with Draco-type moves, Sniper, and Battle/Shell Armor, but the former two don't actually do anything that the base premise doesn't already do (it just goes from "hits obscenely hard" to "hits even more obscenely hard").

I believe stall-haters make up a large enough chunk of the playerbase to give this format a niche.
Ironically, stall actually stands a pretty good chance of being more successful in this format than in standard play (given stall is near-unviable in current OU and even worse in current UU rn). This happens a lot with broken-heavy metagames: The only Pokemon that check the brokens are the absurdly bulky ones that drain all momentum and hence only fit on stall, so it's just a matter of time until someone figures out the "magic formula" (see:Shelmet in Urshifu-S meta).
What makes stall less viable in my experience is actually balance. A balanced and decentralised metagame is harder to prepare for as a stall player, as there's a much wider set of mons you have to not get 6-0ed by (as well as Crawdaunt lurking to shred your hopes and dreams). In addition, by prepping for common balance structures people also indirectly prep for stall. A team revolving around HO and prepping for HO is vulnerable to getting matchup-fished by stall.
Anyway, there's no shortage of OMs already where stall goes to die. AAA and STABmons, for instance, are both very hard to build successful stall teams for because of the massive power level of the breakers, and people naturally preparing already for the buffed wall-pivots you see on balance.

I really agree with the points made. Having a meta where crits are always possible devalues the types of teams that can be made. In some other noteworthy OMs, defensive teams and mons do have some value and can be viable if its viable in the current meta. In a meta where everything crits, though, the only playstyle is HO and nothing else. This is very unfortunate and makes sure that everyone will be running the same teams, no more, no less.

Overall, 100% Crits is one of the weakest concepts I've heard of in this thread, unfortunately. It just doesn't seem like a fun concept to play at all, and makes sure everyone stays on the same team. No BO or anything here!

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
There's not much else I can add, but here are my thoughts. First, the most appealing things about OMs to me have always been the creativity. I love using things like Triage Tapu Bulu in AAA or No Retreat Buzzwole in STAB. This meta just gets rid of all of that. You are forced to run an entire team of Choice Items, Sniper, Battle/Shell Armor, etc. This does not feel creative to me, but maybe you feel differently. This reminds me of Haxmons, an old OM with a similar premise, where again teambuilding was very restrictive, Also want to agree with the point made by Low-Key and theotherguytm, where stall is usually not the greatest in OMs with high power level, which you can read more about here and here (credit Heracross2.0 and lph respectively). All in all seems like a rushed idea that would make games even more boring due to a lack teambuilding options, where most game would just be speed-ties/revenging your opponents pokemon, which to me are not exciting as they are not competitive or based on skill.

Last edited:
100% crit on its own sounds like a more boring version of haxmons, where every less than 100% chance thing would happen (misses, crits, freeze, etc). That was also horribly broken in a lot of ways, but it was sort of an interesting broken.

It also sounds like a less interesting way to try to "get rid of stall" than something like No Status was (not that No Status was 100% successful at getting rid of stall, I believe regenerator-based "stalls" eventually happened).

I don't think "get rid of stall" is all that interesting a reason to start an OM, but there's more nuanced things you could do than perma-crits. For example, you could just say everything permanently has Heal Block status, and that would almost certainly prevent Stall from succeeding, with less effect on offense v offense matchups.

Knuckstrike

Hi I'm FIREEEE
is a Tiering Contributor
Style of Legends

1644072022074.png

Pokemon Legends: Arceus saw the implementation of a new mechanic, giving trainers the option to train their Pokémon in 2 additional styles: the Strong and Agile style. Agile moves come out faster but have their power weakened, while Strong moves come out slow but really pack a punch. This introduces a new form of strategy, where trainers can choose to attack quickly or get a strong hit off, depending on what they need. Ever wondered how this would translate into a regular Pokémon game?

Mechanic: Any attacking move can be made 'Strong' or 'Agile' when selecting it in-battle, changing its speed and power.
Clauses: Regular OU
Bans: Regular OU
Unbans: --

In the battle menu, under the moves, it'll show a checkmark (like mega-evolution or z-moves) where you can check whether you want to make your move Agile or Strong, though you can also select neither of course. Any Agile move will increase the Pokémon's base speed by 33% for that turn, but decrease their move's power by 25% as well. Any Strong move will increase the attack power by 33%, but lower the Pokémon's speed by 25%. Using a move in either style will cost 2pp.

Metagame threats:

1644074015978.png
1644074032444.png
Volt-turn gains a lot of utility, being able to switch out both slower and with more power, using their switch moves in Strong style.
1644074152168.png
1644074167460.png
Trick Room teams can spam their moves without fearing the speed loss from Strong Style.
1644074251679.png
1644074316048.png
Choiced mons can sort of choose between Scarf and Band/Specs by switching styles. A scarf Pokémon with Strong style will still outspeed similarly speedy pokemon with no Scarf/style, or you can use Agile on a Banded pokemon for a mix between Scarf and Band.
1644074477189.png
Protection can be really useful to scout which style your opponent wants to use, and to take away 2pp from your opponent's premier attacking moves. As styled moves cost 2pp, using just styled moves might quickly deplete certain moves' pp.

Questions:
Q:
How does this affect Gyro Ball and other speed-based moves?
A: I believe the speed of the Pokémon will change, and so it would affect Gyro Ball both in speed and power.
Q: Can I use an Agile or Strong move when I have 1pp?
A: If anyone can check how this works in LoA that'd be great. I assume yes, you still can.
Q: How does pressure interact with the styles?
A: Pressure adds one extra pp, so a pressured Agile/Strong move would cost 3pp.
Q: How do set damage moves (Seismic Toss, Nature's Madness, etc.) interact with styles?
A: Again, if anyone can check LoA that'd be great, I assume they don't change upon changing styles.

Questions for the community:
How strong should the boosts be exactly? How about +30/-20, +33/-33, +50/-33, +30/-50, or maybe speed will always change by 50% and power by 33%?

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Tbh I just don't think this is a good translation of the mechanic. The styles are much different from simply going faster or slower in a turn, rather they depend on Legends' overhauled turn mechanic where each time a Pokémon uses a move is considered its own turn, and using Agile may allow you to get an extra turn while Strong causes you to lose a turn. These do not translate well to Speed at all in my opinion (Specially when Agile's main benefit is being able to give you an opening to use another move before your opponent gets their turn). Not to mention, Legends' turn system means you have a better time to react if your opponent uses a Styled move, since every move is its own turn. In a turn system such as traditional Pokémon where both moves are chosen simultaneously, this balance factor is gone entirely. Having simultaneous move chosing also makes the whole Speed thing kind of a mess, Agile sounds like kind of too much of a risk to use when your opponent can also just use Agile themselves. (Also in general from experience I'd say its best to avoid creating new speed tiers, it makes thing unnecessarely complicated to play around in battle. If you do want to go through with this idea, I'd highly recommend you make the speed modifiers close to existing ones such as +/-1)

Aditionally I think just making a move x% Stronger is a pretty poor way to implement Strong Style - Strong tends to boost BP from 15 to 20 BP, which is not much, but also tends to increase Accuracy, Secondary Effect chance and Critical Hit Ratio. Which brings me to my next point and arguably the second most important one after the Turns thing: Legends has entirely different battle mechanics to even make the Styles work. I see you raise question on how Seismic Toss and the like works, thing is those moves are not even in the game. Legends has a more limited selected movepool to translate moves into the new battle mechanics, and a huge part of that comes to balancing them around Styles, for an example close Combat being 100 BP, most moves in general having this lowered BP; Stat Boosts only lasting 3 turns, making it so Agile gives you extra turns but makes the boosts long for less time while Strong makes them last longer; and a similar case is done to status effects. Stats have also been massively changed so that battles don't come down to spamming Strong Style moves.

The point with my post being, Legends does a TON of changes to the battle system to make the Style system work and I do not think it is a smart idea to just slap it into the currently-existing battle format and expect it to work well

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Style of Legends

View attachment 404385

Pokemon Legends: Arceus saw the implementation of a new mechanic, giving trainers the option to train their Pokémon in 2 additional styles: the Strong and Agile style. Agile moves come out faster but have their power weakened, while Strong moves come out slow but really pack a punch. This introduces a new form of strategy, where trainers can choose to attack quickly or get a strong hit off, depending on what they need. Ever wondered how this would translate into a regular Pokémon game?

Mechanic: Any attacking move can be made 'Strong' or 'Agile' when selecting it in-battle, changing its speed and power.
Clauses: Regular OU
Bans: Regular OU
Unbans: --

In the battle menu, under the moves, it'll show a checkmark (like mega-evolution or z-moves) where you can check whether you want to make your move Agile or Strong, though you can also select neither of course. Any Agile move will increase the Pokémon's base speed by 33% for that turn, but decrease their move's power by 25% as well. Any Strong move will increase the attack power by 33%, but lower the Pokémon's speed by 25%. Using a move in either style will cost 2pp.

Metagame threats:

View attachment 404396 View attachment 404397 Volt-turn gains a lot of utility, being able to switch out both slower and with more power, using their switch moves in Strong style.
View attachment 404399View attachment 404400 Trick Room teams can spam their moves without fearing the speed loss from Strong Style.
View attachment 404402 View attachment 404405 Choiced mons can sort of choose between Scarf and Band/Specs by switching styles. A scarf Pokémon with Strong style will still outspeed similarly speedy pokemon with no Scarf/style, or you can use Agile on a Banded pokemon for a mix between Scarf and Band.
View attachment 404406 Protection can be really useful to scout which style your opponent wants to use, and to take away 2pp from your opponent's premier attacking moves. As styled moves cost 2pp, using just styled moves might quickly deplete certain moves' pp.

Questions:
Q:
How does this affect Gyro Ball and other speed-based moves?
A: I believe the speed of the Pokémon will change, and so it would affect Gyro Ball both in speed and power.
Q: Can I use an Agile or Strong move when I have 1pp?
A: If anyone can check how this works in LoA that'd be great. I assume yes, you still can.
Q: How does pressure interact with the styles?
A: Pressure adds one extra pp, so a pressured Agile/Strong move would cost 3pp.
Q: How do set damage moves (Seismic Toss, Nature's Madness, etc.) interact with styles?
A: Again, if anyone can check LoA that'd be great, I assume they don't change upon changing styles.

Questions for the community:
How strong should the boosts be exactly? How about +30/-20, +33/-33, +50/-33, +30/-50, or maybe speed will always change by 50% and power by 33%?
This meta seems fairly complicated (although less so than something like Mix and Mega) and utilizes a mechanic which, as AquaticPanic said, was not created or balanced for standard Pokemon battles.

I feel like this metagame will have a LOT of 50/50s based around constantly shifting Speed tiers and power. This is bad, because it is likely extremely uncompetitive.

I like the PP mechanic. Adding that cost makes the most powerful moves more risky, adding a new level of planning into the game.

Priority is broken. How on earth do you beat a Rillaboom which has +whatever% power. Not to pick on Boomer, that's just the first thing that came to mind, Linoone works too, or Dragonite, or Scizor, Aegislash, Crawdaunt, Bisharp. Unless the power boost is kept small these become significantly more powerful at pretty much no cost, and if the power boost is small the meta is kind of pointless.

Walls are easy to break. It's usually pretty obvious when you don't need Speed for something (not always obviously, but I'm thinking Corv, Blobs, Pex, etc). If that's the case you can just boost power, while defensive mons get nothing. This means the metagame is going to mostly be offense v offense, which will lead to a lot of the 50/50s I mentioned above.

Overall: I don't find this idea promising, but I could be convinced otherwise. The main thing I want to see is a firm boost / drop in power and reasoning / calcs to back it up. Personally I'm not sure where that boost should fall :(

A potential fix to the speed issues (doesn't accurately capture what speed means in Legends, no drawback to Strong style against much slower Pokemon, defensive Pokemon get almost no benefit from the mechanic) that also unfortunately makes the mechanic a lot less elegant than "boost and lower speed and attack" is to have Agile Style give +1 priority, while Strong Style gives -1 priority.

Of course, Gen 6 Talonflame is there as a reminder of how dangerous misplaced priority can be, even if it does come with a power drop in this case. Though defensive mons don't care about the power drop, so they get "Prankster but it also works on Scald and Knock Off but it also chews through PP faster" which is intended but also potentially even more broken than Talonflame.

Here's my idea rn:

BARGIN BIN

A metagame with a simple concept. You can't afford to use these high-end big BST Pokemon, so time to jump into the bargin bin!

Concept: In Bargin Bin, you are not allowed to use a pokemon with a BST 500 or above. Any pokemon with a BST that high is essentially quick banned. This means many normal threats like Weavile and essentially all legendaries aren't usable, leaving you to find other bargin options.

Potential Bans:

1644259083804.png

With a BST of 495, Toxapex would be unleashed into the meta without having to worry about the likes of Lando-T's Earthquakes or Tapu Lele's Psychics. Its massive defensive spread in a highly nerfed meta seems like it would result in a quick ban, however with the likes of all four slowtwins still around, Reuniclus roaming free, along with getting completely stopped by Leech Seed Ferrothorn, it might be able to hold onto the meta surprisingly.

1644259235622.png

Boasting the same 495 BST, Corviknight would either be a premiere wall, or a bannable threat. Lack of offense continues to worry the meta of the metal bird, and with a lack of high BST attackers with super effective moves, Corviknight could prove to be a big issue in this meta and could result in a quickban.

1644259433963.png

The S- threat in the OU metagame, Ferrothorn would be the one and only usable rocker in the meta. It's incredible defenses along with its steel typing means it will be annoying to deal with at all times, but with things like Magmar, Pangoro, Passimian, Toxicroak, and Darmanitan running around, I don't think this thing will be impossible to beat and could actually stay around.

My Questions for the people:

A second version of this concept has come to mind, being "Pokemon with any stat above "insert number here" is unusable", but I feel the current one is clearer and simpler, what do you think about it?

Would this metagame end up being too defensive in practice?

Is this concept too simple to be very interesting?

Is 500 BST too high?

Last edited:
Here's my idea rn:

BARGIN BIN

A metagame with a simple concept. You can't afford to use these high-end big BST Pokemon, so time to jump into the bargin bin!

Concept: In Bargin Bin, you are not allowed to use a pokemon with a BST 500 or above. Any pokemon with a BST that high is essentially quick banned. This means many normal threats like Weavile and essentially all legendaries aren't usable, leaving you to find other bargin options.

Potential Bans:

View attachment 405043
With a BST of 495, Toxapex would be unleashed into the meta without having to worry about the likes of Lando-T's Earthquakes or Tapu Lele's Psychics. Its massive defensive spread in a highly nerfed meta seems like it would result in a quick ban, however with the likes of all four slowtwins still around, Reuniclus roaming free, along with getting completely stopped by Leech Seed Ferrothorn, it might be able to hold onto the meta surprisingly.

View attachment 405044
Boasting the same 495 BST, Corviknight would either be a premiere wall, or a bannable threat. Lack of offense continues to worry the meta of the metal bird, and with a lack of high BST attackers with super effective moves, Corviknight could prove to be a big issue in this meta and could result in a quickban.

View attachment 405045
The S- threat in the OU metagame, Ferrothorn would be the one and only usable rocker in the meta. It's incredible defenses along with its steel typing means it will be annoying to deal with at all times, but with things like Magmar, Pangoro, Passimian, Toxicroak, and Darmanitan running around, I don't think this thing will be impossible to beat and could actually stay around.

A second version of this concept has come to mind, being "Pokemon with any stat above "insert number here" is unusable", but I feel the current one is clearer and simpler, what do you think about it?

Is 500 BST too high?
Again, this metagame just is covered by the reply "metas that restrict people are less popular in general than those that give more options". BST isn't even a particularly good metric for how "good" a Pokemon is (see: Clefable, Pex, and on the other end of the spectrum, Regigigas). I think the standard tiering system already explores the idea of "what if the best Pokemon weren't usable" very thoroughly and iteratively.

AquaticPanic

Intentional Femboy Penguin
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
Community Leader
Also I'd like to add, 500 BST is too extreme of a cutoff in my opinion. Most Fully-Evolved Pokémon are over 500 BST ao this meta rids of a ton of stuff for not much of a reason (Unless you truly are afraid that Lickilicky is too threatening for its "high" BST)

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
Isn't there already a meta similar to this, where any Pokemon with a stat above 100 is banned or something?
Mediocremons is what you are thinking of, it's a discontinued Pet Mod where pokemon with stats above 100 are banned

rip my boy Dedenne :(

Premise: Gen 8 OU but all legendaries, mythicals, ultra beasts, or any other name Game Freak has for legendaries are banned
Bans: Obviously, the ones listed above, and all current Gen 8 OU bans/exclusions would stay banned

Basically a format to take the spotlight off of the pokemon created specifically to be powerful and allow the more normal pokemon to build the base of the meta. Bans may be added or removed that conflict with normal Gen 8 OU as the meta develops for necessary counters and such, but legendaries, mythicals, etc would never be allowed.
This is indeed a great idea which is highly requested. I'm pretty sure a lot of people in the community would have a lot of fun. By definition, to make a tier in any game is to limit a set of possibilities, but anyway, let's hope someday in the far future this idea is taken seriously and not as derision.

This is indeed a great idea which is highly requested. I'm pretty sure a lot of people in the community would have a lot of fun. By definition, to make a tier in any game is to limit a set of possibilities, but anyway, let's hope someday in the far future this idea is taken seriously and not as derision.
Basically what this idea is trying to make is UU, but instead of making it through objective criteria it bans a list of Pokemon with highly varying strength because Game Freak has slapped a certain label on them. Basically, this bans Regigigas and base Calyrex, but not Dragapult or Toxapex. Can you see the problem with that?

Basically what this idea is trying to make is UU, but instead of making it through objective criteria it bans a list of Pokemon with highly varying strength because Game Freak has slapped a certain label on them. Basically, this bans Regigigas and base Calyrex, but not Dragapult or Toxapex. Can you see the problem with that?
This is not necessarily true in which regards to a potential similarity with UU. A lot of UU and RU staples are legendaries (to avoid misinterpretation, I am using the definition of Serebii).

Concerning the problem of banning some weak legendaries and not banning strong not-legendaries, I agree with you. But supposing this meta would ever exist, there would also be a council that would determine the additional bans (e.g., . :Cinderace:). Furthermore, some weak non-legendaries could become important (e.g., in the absence of :tapu Lele:, maybe :primarina: would be more relevant). The meta would self-adjust itself.

People might have fun with a meta without legendaries for various reasons, for example, being able to reproduce in-game strategies, as most legendaries can't breed (and then getting perfect IVs is way more difficult). Of course, there are other potential reasons, like some people might subjectively think legendaries are as special as GF want. The thing is, a meta like this would not hurt anyone, it would never ever mean to replace the established metagames (OU, UU, RU, NU, PU, ...). It only would bring diversity to the table for the community.

Edit: replaced the silly example of :heatran: / :incineroar:, by :tapu lele: / :primarina: .

Last edited:
A meta which restricts something instead of allowing some new things is unintuitive. And there’s not a point in making those restrictions specific to legendaries. You’re not adding anything to a meta, you’re taking things out. That’s really boring from a meta perspective.

Of course, there are other potential reasons, like some people might subjectively think legendaries are as special as GF want.
This is the primary reason why this idea is usually put forward and one of the reasons why it's always just eye-rolled at, as some people seem to think legendaries are somehow what's "wrong" with OU (regardless of if anything is actually wrong with it), and banning them will "fix" things. At the end of the day, legendaries are just Pokemon like any other and while they tend to be stronger than the average mon, that is certainly not always the case (See: Darm-G rofl that abomination is ripping up Ubers rn).
This is not necessarily true in which regards to a potential similarity with UU. A lot of UU and RU staples are legendaries (to avoid misinterpretation, I am using the definition of Serebii).
I'm not saying it will have the same Pokemon in it, I'm saying it has the same basic goal. The root idea is "these Pokemon are outclassed by other Pokemon, let's ban the ones that outclass them and see how they do without them". That is UU. Except instead of seeing what is actually outclassed, you just ban a subjective group of Pokemon.
Concerning the problem of banning some weak legendaries and not banning strong not-legendaries, I agree with you. But supposing this meta would ever exist, there would also be a council that would determine the additional bans
I'm not saying you couldn't ban non-legendaries, I'm saying half the extra bans you'd impose are pointless because those Pokemon would be useless garbage anyway. You are unironically having to put Arcticuno and Uxie, two Pokemon so bad they are not used in PU, on a banlist for an OU-level tier. If this doesn't sound silly I don't know what does.
(e.g., . :Cinderace:)
The idea this Pokemon would even be considered to be let lose to mash the Pyro Ball button on a Heatran-less tier again is a lol.
Furthermore, some weak non-legendaries could become important (e.g., in the absence of :Heatran:, maybe :Incineroar: would be more relevant - sorry for this silly example). The meta would self-adjust itself.
Again, this is exactly what happens in UU (and no, nothing replaces what Heatran does offensively or defensively).
People might have fun with a meta without legendaries for various reasons, for example, being able to reproduce in-game strategies, as most legendaries can't breed (and then getting perfect IVs is way more difficult).
1. Bottle Caps and Nature Mints exist now so this isn't even a problem anymore. 2. BSS exists. 3. The Gen 8 battle timer kills 6v6 gameplay anyway.
Like, I could understand this point of view in past gens, for cart gameplay only, but this simply isn't a problem anymore. Also, I personally (and a lot of other people too) find it fun to able to use Pokemon that I couldn't normally obtain in online battles, like Volcanion and Mew (and yes breeding etc is a pain, this is another reason we play online). This leads back to a common statement in this thread: metas that restrict players are much less likely to be successful and interesting than ones that add new options.

Just for the fun of it, I'll tell you what this tier looks like.
Step 1: You banned Heatran so Volcarona is now obscenely OP. That gets banned.
Step 2: The return of WishPort Clefable. Battles become a contest to deplete your opponent's Wish PP faster than you lose the will to live. Clef is banned.
Step 3: Toxapex walls everything that isn't backed by FuturePort. Banned.
Step 4: Hey, Weavile is kinda dumb isn't it?
Step 5: You just banned all the Dragapult checks didn't you?
Step 94:
S Rank
Nothing for now!
A+ Rank
Aegislash
Amoonguss
Excadrill
Primarina
Slowking
I'm of course exaggerating, but you get the point.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
This is the equivalent of banning every pokemon that starts with the letter C or some other arbitrary criteria like that. Like sure some niches occupied by banned mons will now be available for other mons and technically that's "a new meta" but it's just like… why? In what ways does this OM differ from OU/UU/whatever? All the mons you'd wanna play with are already in them, aren't they? If it doesn't differ then what's the point? Why would people play and invest time and effort in a tier that's 80% the same thing with at most a hundredth of the playerbase?

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Here's my idea rn:

BARGIN BIN

Potential Bans:

View attachment 405043

View attachment 405044

View attachment 405045

Is 500 BST too high?
As was mentioned above this is very similar to Mediocremons. In general IF we were to approve something similar to this I think I would prefer it be that metagame returning, as it's familiar and also somewhat more different from the general tiering process.

BUT

I don't see this being successful. Mediocremons was not active last generation. It was chosen for LCotM once, didn't see much thread activity, and never won OMotM. Besides the lack of activity the concept is just a mon banlist, and as such is in many regards a less competitively based form of our standard tiers.
I cannot see this being approved.

Non-Volastyle Status
The Premise: In this Metagame, all Volatile Status (confusion, infatuation, encore, ect.) and Volatile Battle Status (Substitute, Bracing, Rooting, ect.) are treated as Non-Volatile Status (Badly Poisoned, Burns, Sleep).

Potential Bans and Threats:
  • :gastly: Curse on a Ghost type would mean any wall will constantly lose 1/4th HP every turn and would last until Heal Bell was used​
  • :misdreavus: Perish Song being permanent also lets you nab easy KOs, guaranteed if they opponent lacks Heal Bell. However, this means Mean Look+Perish Song no longer works as both are now Non-volatile​
  • :rhydon: Substitute being about to stay on a Pokemon after they switch out would make switching is too powerful, even if it might fail due to another status being inflicted​
Questions:
  • How should unique cases like Can’t Escape and Infatuation be handled when it comes to curing? Normally it would only be cured once the opposing Pokemon left the field or after you would switch with moves like U-turn, but only because it’s a volatile status. What happens if they switch back in with the Pokemon still there?
  • Similarly, how would status like Bracing and Protection work if the user were suddenly forced out that turn? Are they still cured, or is it cured when they get back in?
  • Since Charge and Recharge are volatile status, would they override the current status or would those moves fail if they are already statused? Or what about Focus Punch?

Unfortunately, what constitutes a volatile status condition is way more broad than most people realize. A pet mod I used to be active in would periodically see someone propose an ability that interacted with volatiles as a whole. Trust me when I say it's not a good idea.

Unfortunately, what constitutes a volatile status condition is way more broad than most people realize. A pet mod I used to be active in would periodically see someone propose an ability that interacted with volatiles as a whole. Trust me when I say it's not a good idea.
Well Smogon can since it’s listed on Bulbapedia, which is where Showdown gets most of its interactions from.
Additionally, status like Burn are different in the source code on Showdown from something like Confusion and Flinch, but just having different names. You can even see that the Pokemon Class has a variable for volatile status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)