Project Metagame Workshop (OM Submissions CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got another quirky meta idea: Limited supply

All moves have 2 PP (or maybe 3?). Metronome replaces Struggle.
I chose Metronome because it's not useless but definitely not something you want to end up relying on.

Some implications:
- both offensive and defensive options become limited
- having several stab moves of one type can be wise to avoid running out of PP too fast
- switching out, Protect and Substitute can be effective PP stalling tools
- abilities like Regenerator and Pressure and items like Leftovers might be broken
- mixed attackers can make the best use out of Metronome

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Typist

Metagame Premise:
Add or change a Pokémon’s type, depending on its Nickname.

Simply write a Pokémon’s type as it’s nickname, such as Steel, to make a Gyarados’ primary type Steel.

B0DE0B60-4BD1-42A1-B792-94CA272CE462.png

Gyarados is now effectively Steel-Flying.
———————
If you prefer to add or change a secondary type, you would simply make it Shiny instead, with the preferred Type as it’s nickname.

ECE0CDF2-8D28-466E-A965-338BD20EA995.png

Gyarados is now effectively Water-Steel.
———————

I am choosing a nickname rather than, say a held memory, because it doesn’t limit the set in any way, and it is a more obvious type notification to see the nickname of your own or an opponent’s Pokemon, that makes it easier to keep track than having to drag a curser over each Pokemon throughout a match.

Potential bans and threats:

Nothing yet.

Questions for the community:

Should we nerf the type change by forcing a Memory item, so that not everything can just slap on a Choice item, or does that also restrict the Playstyle too much?

Clone Wars!

Metagame Premise:
The inverse of species clause. You have to use only one pokemon species 6 times! To create more viability and creativity on team building you are limited to use each move only once in team building.

>6v6 singles
>OU clauses
>All abilities avaiable
>Tranfer forms avaiable

Potential bans and threats: This meta makes gimmicks work! It plays like monotype but more extreme on team building process, huge movepools, few weakness and many forms benefits the most here, you can use almost every variant of the pokemon sets so no trouble with 4 slot syndrome. Pokémon that has more than 3 variants of main stabs (like scald/surf/hydropump) can work well. Quad weakness can also be really risky and not much viable on this meta, so saddly no ferrothorn which could run many sets. However is pretty much easy to find were your team is weak and preparate a gimmick to counter it. Example: If you have a Toxapex team against a hattrene team, bring a suicide toxic spikes setter, then push it with merciless gunk shot/venoshock until oponent runs out of psychic/psyshock. The limited movepool choices helps to balance the meta to create an effective counter even if the mon finds a counter oponent. Also Pokémon with many forms can be potentially ban worth as Rotom and Silvally can have different weakness on whole team. Pokémon with few weakness and huge movepool that can work wonders like Mew, Clefable and Mr mime (even aided by galar form). Cinderace could be very uselful with one stab each.

Questions for the community: I think this meta would be more fun on national dex OU, cause Z-moves could be great for coverage and defeat treats that otherwise destroy the team completely. Also since the team is all the same you never know if oponent carries the counter. This would help also pokemon with more forms. However megas and max could not help balance this kind of meta. So This meta looks broken? could it work with some other ajustments?

Last edited:
Clone Wars!

Metagame Premise:
The inverse of species clause. You have to use only one pokemon species 6 times! To create more viability and creativity on team building you are limited to use each move only once in team building.

>6v6 singles
>OU clauses
>All abilities avaiable
>Tranfer forms avaiable

Potential bans and threats: This meta makes gimmicks work! It plays like monotype but more extreme on team building process, huge movepools, few weakness and many forms benefits the most here, you can use almost every variant of the pokemon sets so no trouble with 4 slot syndrome. Pokémon that has more than 3 variants of main stabs (like scald/surf/hydropump) can work well. Quad weakness can also be really risky and not much viable on this meta, so saddly no ferrothorn which could run many sets. However is pretty much easy to find were your team is weak and preparate a gimmick to counter it. Example: If you have a Toxapex team against a hattrene team, bring a suicide toxic spikes setter, then push it with merciless gunk shot/venoshock until oponent runs out of psychic/psyshock. The limited movepool choices helps to balance the meta to create an effective counter even if the mon finds a counter oponent. Also Pokémon with many forms can be potentially ban worth as Rotom and Silvally can have different weakness on whole team. Pokémon with few weakness and huge movepool that can work wonders like Mew, Clefable and Mr mime (even aided by galar form). Cinderace could be very uselful with one stab each.

Questions for the community: I think this meta would be more fun on national dex OU, cause Z-moves could be great for coverage and defeat treats that otherwise destroy the team completely. Also since the team is all the same you never know if oponent carries the counter. This would help also pokemon with more forms. However megas and max could not help balance this kind of meta. So This meta looks broken? could it work with some other ajustments?
I was 100% on board with this awesome idea until you mentioned that you wanted it to be Nat Dex. Keep any and all ideas away from that dumpster fire of a format.

I was 100% on board with this awesome idea until you mentioned that you wanted it to be Nat Dex. Keep any and all ideas away from that dumpster fire of a format.
thanks for the feedback. I admit i never touched national dex, it was just an supposition ^^ I really think z-moves would help balance this meta, but maybe a one turn dynamax would work? But i think it enters the 'complex' territory

Mix and Max
You can Gigantamax as much as you'd like, but just that. You can only use Pokémon who currently have a G-Max form, being--

All these Pokemon and their respective G-Max moves are listed below:
Source
PokemonTypeG-Max Move
GengarGhostG-Max Terror - Prevents Pokemon from fleeing or switching out
CharizardFireG-Max Wildfire - Inflicts damage to non-Fire Pokemon for five turns
MeowthNormalG-Max Gold Rush - Confuses opponent and earns extra money after battle
EeveeNormalG-Max Cuddle - Infatuates all opponents
PikachuElectricG-Max Volt Crash - Paralyzes all opponents
ButterfreeBugG-Max Befuddle - Inflicts, poison, paralysis, or sleep conditions on all opponents
CorviknightFlyingG-Max Wind Rage - Removes effects like reflect and light Screen
AlcremieFairyG-Max Finale - Heals all allies
DrednawWaterG-Max Stonesurge - Places stealth rocks on the field
GarbordorPoisonG-Max Malodor - Poisons all opponents
DaruludonDragonG-Max Depletion - Decreases PP of last move opponent used
HattereneFairyG-Max Smite - Confuses all opponents
CopperajahSteelG-Max Steelsurge - Places spikes on the field
KinglerWaterG-Max Foam Burst - Decreases opponent's speed
CentiskorchFireG-Max Centiferno - Traps opponents in flames for five turns
MelmetalSteelG-Max Meltdown - Opponent can't use the same move twice in a row
AppletunGrassG-Max Sweetness - Heals status conditions of allies
GrimmsnarlDarkG-Max Snooze - Puts opponents to sleep on the next turn
FlappleGrassG-Max Tartness - Decreases opponents evasiveness
SandacondaGroundG-Max Sandblast - Traps opponents in raging standstorm for five turns
CoalossalRockG-Max Vocalith - Deals damage to opponents for four turns
OrbeetlePsychicG-Max Gravitas - Increases gravity for five turns
ToxitricityElectricG-Max Stun Shock - Paralyzes or poisons opponent
SnorlaxNormalG-Max Replenish - Restores berries that have been eaten
LaprasIceG-Max Resonance - Reduces damage received for five turns
MachampFightingG-Max Chi Strike - Increases critical hit chances

I got another quirky meta idea: Limited supply

All moves have 2 PP (or maybe 3?). Metronome replaces Struggle.
I chose Metronome because it's not useless but definitely not something you want to end up relying on.

Some implications:
- both offensive and defensive options become limited
- having several stab moves of one type can be wise to avoid running out of PP too fast
- switching out, Protect and Substitute can be effective PP stalling tools
- abilities like Regenerator and Pressure and items like Leftovers might be broken
- mixed attackers can make the best use out of Metronome
That kind of sounds like Metronome Battles, but with extra steps tbh. Having Low PP meta is an interesting idea though.

That kind of sounds like Metronome Battles, but with extra steps tbh. Having Low PP meta is an interesting idea though.
I think it should just be if the pokemon runs out of pp for all moves it faints, and it's about who survives the longest

Also ban the Pressure ability

Posting this again for more input, but:

Hidden Transformation
Welcome to Hidden Transformation! Here the special Hidden Power move has unfortunately been cut. However, its effects live on through this special premise. The Hidden Power type now controls the secondary type of the Pokemon! That's not all however, as the type lets the Pokemon access two more moves of its choice from the type! It's truly a hidden capability! Unfortunately a Hidden Power type only works once for some reason, but that's such a thing that's easily worked around!

If you didn't get it, here's all the relevant metagame stuff:
Premise: Pokemon have their secondary typing replaced with their Hidden Power type, also getting access to two extra moves of that typing of their choice.
A Hidden Power type may only be used once across the entire team. Setting the type to automatic functions as setting it to Fairy.
Bans:
OU clauses +
-
Shedinja
Thanks to being able to change its type, Shedinja gains the capabilities to bend what Wonder Guard blocks. This makes the team matchup part even more of a problem for other teams, now having to either pack wide coverage on mostly everything, abuse status, or weather. It causes too many problems in the long run and will end up banned.

On the Radar:
[/hide]-
Dracovish
Dracovish get to keep its Water-Type. This allows it to start running crazy STAB options alongside its 170BP (effectively) Water-Type move. There's lots of options for strong STAB, especially considering it access to Strong Jaw. Dracovish has power that has a good chance of exploding on the metagame.

These moves may only be used on Pokemon who get them naturally:
  • Bolt Beak
  • Clangorous Soul
  • Fishious Rend
  • No Retreat
  • Shift Gear
  • Spore
  • V-Create
Potential Sets:
Notes:
  • Ground is one of the best types to use offensively, so at least one mon on an offensive team is using it.
  • Other types that can make good offensive typings include Fighting, Rock, Electric, and Ice.

Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Hidden Power: Ground
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Darts
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Welcome to Garchomp simulator, this time with 100BP Dragon Move and DD. In all Honesty, Dragapult could run loads of sets in this metagame.

Rotom-Heat @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Moonblast
- Overheat

Electric/Fairy is a really nice typing, further backed up by Levitate removing a weakness. Rotom was chosen specifically for it access to Overheat for Steel-Types.

Frosmoth @ Life Orb
Ability: Ice Scales
Hidden Power: Ground
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain

If you are looking for a Quiver Dance user, this might be your best bet. Also can use HP Fighting and Electric, but they don't seem that good.

Zeraora @ Choice Band
Ability: Volt Absorb
Hidden Power: Ice
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Icicle Crash
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch

Zeraora could have a field day ripping teams with it's Electric/Ice coverage.

Notes:
  • Only three types not named Normal have a recovery move: Flying, Grass, and Fairy. Each has their unique usefulness.
  • Other typings to help make a defensive type better like Ground and Steel are available too.

Orbeetle @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Hidden Power: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Recover
- Bug Buzz
- U-turn

Yes I am aware that Orbeetle is not OU, but with HP Steel, it can get the nice Bug/Steel defensive typing with 60/110/120 defenses to back it up.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Hidden Power: Dark
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Parting Shot
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Haze

Water/Poison is a decent typing, and so is Poison/Dark. This set aims to be more of a defensive pivot rather than a wall.

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Scald

Seismitoad still gets relevance for being the only Stealth Rock setter that has Water Absorb (well you could use HP Rock to do that, but what a waste of an offensive type) and using Fairy lets Seismitoad get recovery.

Questions:
Q: No Shiny Mechanics?
A: Yep. There would be a tad too much types to prep for.

Q: How do we figure out the typing?
A: It's displayed upon the mon switching in

Q: What happens if the type I choose is the same as one of my types?
A: If it's the same as your primary type, you become monotyped. If it's the same as your secondary type, your type remains unchanged. You may still receive the two extra moves if you choose to do this.

Questions for you:

• Is using showdown's automatic type to simulate Fairy a good idea? Should I scrap it and not allow changing into the Fairy-Type?
  • The new typing currently displays upon the mon switching in. Should this be changed to not showing the typing at all?
  • Would using Hidden Power type be a bad idea due to the removal of Hidden Power? If so, what other alternatives would be good?

Permutations
In this metagame, you pick a Pokemon, as usual. That gives you access to that Pokemon's BST. Then, you pick your type combination from the existing pool of type combinations. After that, you pick an ability from any ability that an existing Pokemon can have, bar BH ability bans. Finally, you pick a moveset to inherit out of all existing movesets, bar Mew and Smeargle's movesets. You can't use Chatter, Boomburst, Extremespeed, Fishous Rend, or Bolt Beak, but any other moves are fair game.

This has been coded already.

https://streamable.com/hqquc
https://streamable.com/h944t

Questions:
Any other potential bans? Steel/Bug with Flash Fire? Fire/Ground with Desolate Land? Stuff like that.

Last edited:
Permutations
In this metagame, you pick a Pokemon, as usual. That gives you access to that Pokemon's BST. Then, you pick your type combination from the existing pool of type combinations. After that, you pick an ability from any ability that an existing Pokemon can have, bar BH ability bans. Finally, you pick a moveset to inherit out of all existing movesets, bar Mew and Smeargle's movesets. You can't use Chatter, Boomburst, Extremespeed, Fishous Rend, or Bolt Beak, but any other moves are fair game.

Questions:
Any other potential bans? Steel/Bug with Flash Fire? Fire/Ground with Desolate Land? Stuff like that.
Can you explain how stats are chosen? I feel like I'm missing something here.

You just select the Pokémon and it inherits the stats.
It
Permutations

Questions:
I think I understand. So the mon can have any combination of types from mons existing in Gen 8, then any ability bar BH banned abilites and then it can inherit from any existing mons moveset. Only part I'm confused on is the stats.

It

I think I understand. So the mon can have any combination of types from mons existing in Gen 8, then any ability bar BH banned abilites and then it can inherit from any existing mons moveset. Only part I'm confused on is the stats.
If you choose Dragapult in the team builder, the Pokemon you build has the stats of Dragapult.

Am I getting this right, Pete?

If you choose Dragapult in the team builder, the Pokemon you build has the stats of Dragapult.

Am I getting this right, Pete?
Yeah. I think the part that’s hard to comprehend is, why not choose the stats as well? Well, you are choosing the stats. You choose them when you choose a Pokémon.

Turbo Battle

Metagame
premise: every pokemon's Attack and Special Attack stats are doubled.

Balinst: I might stick to OU banlist and clauses, but dynamax and gigantamax will be allowed.

The reason i am not banning nothing in particular is that decide what is broken or what not might be difficult in this metagame. Countering something defensively is pretty difficult for many pokemon so you can only opt to sack something you dont find useful and bring something that can check offesively most of the time.

Dynamax and Gigantamax are allowed because the extra bulk will just revert the pokemon resistance to their originals in this meta and the extra power and effects of the moves wont matter as much if most attacks are strong enough to OHKO. This option can obviously be changed in the future.

How will the metagame work: For sure, battles will be faster, as the name of the metagame suggests, but the question is tricky, because there may be many different new concepts we can explore in this metagame with the added power, for example

• Fast and strong pokemon: Pokemon that are both fast and strong might be dominant because their high offensive stats will make them able to OHKO every pokemon of the metagame, unless you can somehow check them.
  • Priority moves: Pokemon with access to priority moves will be pretty important in cleaning the fast and strong (but possibly frail) pokemon mentioned above. Note that those fast poekon might (and will) carry their own priority moves as a countermeassure
  • Hard walling: In order to stop a threatening pokemon you can bring a pokemon able to easily take any attacks and retaliate with a strong move. Those pokemon need some orientation on the offense because otherwise they will be quickly worn out by the strong attacks without accomplishing anything.
  • Force KO/ Avoid KO: In certain situations, you might be able to bring a pokemon able to take a hit/outspeed and OHKO the pokemon in front of it and your opponent cant do anything besides switching out and sacking other pokemon, You have to build pokemon able to accomplish this feat frequently and also bring out pokemon that you can rely on to avoid the same situation happening for your opponent. For example, Assault vest Goodra can stop a pure special attacker like Vikavolt or Gengar and retaliate back with a strong Special attack able to KO any pokemon on the opposing side.
  • Sash and indirect damage: Focus Sash is pretty important to offensively check a pokemon with brute power. You can fight back focus sash with stealth rocks or rely on weather damage. Sturdy with heavy duty boots is also concerning.
  • Multi hit moves: Specifically Cloyster, but it might apply to Cinccino, multi hit moves can bypass sash, so you have to rely on other meassures to take down these pokemon.
  • Priority proof: Naturally Queen Majesty Scarf Tsareena can help out dealing with fast priority attackers, but you can rely also on pokemon with some minor bulk and natural speed or their own strong priority attacks. The minor bulk will allow them to resist the priority attack that the fast attacker might bring, thus in order to check that fast attacker offensively, you only have to worry about winning the speed tie or having a strong priority attack yourself. Another concern is Psychic Surge and Dynamaxed Psychic attacks. A boosted pokemon under dynamax protected by psychic terrain might be unstoppable, so you have to prevent that scenario.

Threats: There are a lot, i will mention anything that pops in my mind

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Rock Blast / Icicle Spear
- Surf / Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Shell Smash

Cloyster can take some physical attacks so it doesnt rely completly on Focus Sash to set up. It carries a -Sdef nature because we are not aiming to survive any decent special hit without sash. Rock Blast is to add coverage and prevent water pokemon to stop it, but icicle spear is better against Ferrothorn. Priority boosted ice shards are pretty neat and surf deals with any annoying physical tank like Cobalion or Doublade.

Ferrothorn @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion/ Thunderbolt / Knock off
- Bulldoze
- Power Whip

One of the pilar of trick teams. Ferro can check more than one pokemon which makes it a strong option to take hits and retaliate back in a strong way. You can bring a mixed attacker or a swords dance version and even use him as hazzard setter without assault vest.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard/ Quick attack / Fake Out
- Knock Off

Strong attacker with many priority. Bring it to force out a pokemon with power up punch. If your opponent switches out, a +1 weavile can take almost anything with icicle crash or priority, and if it is a ghost, just use knock off.

Mew @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Synchronize
Naughty Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Mew has good movepool, great stats and If it can set up dragon dance, you can dynamax into oblivion, because it will became immune to priority after a psychic move and its good bulk when dynamaxed means that Mew will be pretty difficult to stop.

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Cloak
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Moonblast
- Aurora Veil
- Foul Play

Sash breaker that works with Cloyster or sash weavile as teammates. Foul play is dilightfully strong against physical attackers.

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Hazard setter and spinner. A free rapid spin might be devastating considering the boost in speed, also note that you only need 1 damage to KO a pokemon after using the Focus Sash, so there will be opportunities to spin. Mold breaker helps against Espeon and Rotom forms.

Questions:

1) Do you find this metagame fun?
2) Do you beleive that this metagame can (in some sense) be balanced? Do you think that some bans will be needed?
3) Should i ban Focus Sash? If that so, should i keep Sturdy unbanned or ban it as well?
4) Is it ok to keep Dynamax and Gigantamax unbanned? If so, Should i use Battle Stadium rules instead of SS OU?

Last edited:
Or would have been able to if Pursuit existed.
Oh, i almost havent played OU lol. I edited the weavile post

Gyarados @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Moxie
Naive Nature
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

I realized that this gyarados set is almost unstoppable. There is no Gale winds or priority galvanize nor Accelerock to stop it with priority and it has pretty good bulk while dynamaxed. Moxie Airstream can make a lot of kills and it may have no defensive check (like many pokemon in this meta).

It has an offensive check though

Zeraora @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Plasma Fists
- Close Combat
- Fire Punch / Play Rough

Scarf Zeraora can outspeed +2 Speed Dynamax Gyarados and remove it with volt switch. 88 Defense is to make sure Max Airstream doesnt get the KO so you can aggresively switch out into zeraora in a pinch (In the worst case, you revenge kill a speed unboosted gyarados on your next turn with something else).

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- X-Scissor
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Shedinja doesnt care the extra power of the moves, but now their shadow sneaks are more deadly than before

Last edited:
Abilimoves
Premise: abilities can be used as moves. It will give the user the ability for 3 turns in addition of its own ability. Every pokemon can gain every ability this way. For example, a strong jaw dragapult using "speed boost" will have speed boost AND strong jaw for 3 turns. Abilities are considered as status moves.
Bans: OU clauses, shedinja
Following abilities can't be used as moves:
-All abilities involving a form change
-Wonder guard
Questions for community: Is 3 turns long enough? Did I miss some things that should be banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)