Quality Control Metagross-Mega [QC: 0/2]

OVERVIEW
Mega Metagross is one of the strongest physically offensive mega evolution choices due to its solid offensive presence which extends even further due to access to Tough Claws. Its speed tier of 110 is incredibly useful for outspeeding the majority of the metagame, while it's one of the few things that actually can hit +2 Xerneas thanks to Bullet Punch. Unlike many other physically offensive pokemon, Mega Metagross is no slouch defensively either; its typing comes with handy resistances to Fairy-, Flying-, and Dragon-Types, which can allow it to check the aforementioned Xerneas, Mega Salamence, and Mega Rayquaza. Thanks to Mega Metagross's solid bulk of 80/150/110, it can also wall Tapu Lele and Tapu Fini and hit them back with a brutally powerful Iron Head.

While this may make Mega Metagross seem like a top-tier threat, it has many flaws which hold it back. Its Steel/Psychic typing is a double-edged sword; while said typing may give Mega Metagross useful resistances to many common attacking types, it also curses with devastating weaknesses to common attacking types such as Fire-, Ground-, and Ghost-types, giving it poor matchups against common pokemon such as Primal Groudon, Incineroar, and Mega Gengar, in addition to dark-types such as Yveltal. While Mega Metagross's base 145 physical attack is incredibly powerful, none of its moves have excellent base power, making it highly susceptible to Intimidate, particularly from the likes of base form Salamence, Incineroar, and Landorus-T. Mega Metagross also faces competition as a physically offensive mega evolution from the likes of Mega Lucario and Mega Rayquaza, which have better speed tiers than it and provide defensive utility in the form of Follow Me and Delta Stream, respectively. However, Mega Metagross's ability to switch in on Xerneas, better defensive typing, and access to Tough Claws can give it reasons to be used over its competition.

[SET]

name: Standard Metagross
move 1: Iron Head
move 2: Stomping Tantrum
move 3: Bullet Punch
move 4: Protect
item: Metagrossite
ability: Clear Body / Tough Claws
nature: Jolly
evs: 60 HP / 244 Atk / 204 Spe

SET COMMENTS

Set Details

========

- Iron Head is Mega Metagross's main STAB move; it has a 30% chance to flinch its target and nets important OHKOs or 2HKOs on many common pokemon in the metagame.

- Stomping Tantrum provides Mega Metagross with a way of hitting Primal Groudon, Incineroar, Mega Gengar, and Mega Manectric for super effective damage, in addition to hitting a vast majority of the tier for neutral damage.

- Bullet Punch allows Mega Metagross to bypass faster foes such as Xerneas, Mega Gengar, Mega Salamence, and Mega Rayquaza, and it also helps for picking off weakened targets, even if they resist it.

- Protect is a must-have for Mega Metagross as it allows you to prevent all damage done from everything bar Z-moves and it also allows you to scout for super effective priority such as Sucker Punch from Mega Mawile.

- Jolly is the nature of choice for Mega Metagross, allowing it to outspeed many popular restricted legendaries such as Primal Kyogre, Primal Groudon, Lunala, and Solgaleo while providing solid amounts of immediate power.

Other Options
===========

- If your team already has ways of dealing with +2 Xerneas, you can opt to run Ice Punch over Bullet Punch in the 3rd slot to hit ground- and dragon-types such as Landorus-T, Mega Salamence, and Yveltal for super effective damage.

- Similarly, Zen Headbutt is an option over Bullet Punch, especially under Psychic Terrain, and can hit pokemon such as Amoonguss and Primal Kyogre much harder than Bullet Punch, but outside of this, Bullet Punch's ability to pick off weakened threats is generally preferred.

- Meteor Mash can be used over Iron Head since it provides a more powerful STAB move to Mega Metagross and also has a chance to boost its attack, but Iron Head's ability to flinch is generally more useful in most situations.

- Thunder Punch over Bullet Punch allows Mega Metagross to hit Primal Kyogre far harder than the rest of its coverage moves, but it provides very little outside of that.

Damage Calcs
========
Offensive
244 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Iron Head vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xerneas: 200-236 (99 - 116.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
244 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Stomping Tantrum vs. 244 HP / 92 Def Incineroar: 120-142 (59.7 - 70.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
244 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gengar-Mega: 58-69 (42.6 - 50.7%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO
244 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Stomping Tantrum vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 80-96 (45.4 - 54.5%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO
244 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 85-102 (48 - 57.6%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO

Defensive
+2 252 SpA Fairy Aura Xerneas Moonblast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 100-118 (64.1 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Incineroar Flare Blitz vs. 60 HP / 0 Def Metagross-Mega: 110-132 (67.4 - 80.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Gengar-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 60 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 156-186 (95.7 - 114.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 60 HP / 0 Def Metagross-Mega: 144-170 (88.3 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Origin Pulse vs. 60 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega in Heavy Rain: 136-162 (83.4 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 60 HP / 0 Def Metagross-Mega: 152-182 (93.2 - 111.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Usage Tips
========

- Mega Metagross should generally be used later on in a game - it may not be a late-game sweeper like Kartana; but it still functions best late-game, as Intimidate is generally more common early-game.

- Positioning is key when it comes to using Mega Metagross - so do be wary of where you position it, as one misstep and Mega Metagross could potentially get KOed & ruin its chances of potentially taking down Xerneas, particularly if this is your only method of checking Xerneas.

- As Primal Groudon is Mega Metagross's most prevalent way of countering Mega Metagross, make sure you deal with this, and any other pokemon that could pose a threat to Mega Metagross, such as Lunala, Yveltal, and Mega Gengar beforehand.

- It should be noted that Mega Metagross's special defense is decent at best, so stronger special attackers such as Primal Kyogre and Yveltal are pokemon you should never leave Mega Metagross in on unless they're weakened to the point where you can hit them with your coverage.

Team Options
========

- Incineroar is Mega Metagross's best partner, as it can act as a way to reliably check Ghost-Types while providing Intimidate support, which helps against some of Mega Metagross's checks, such as Primal Groudon. In addition to this, it provides U-turn support, allowing it to bring in Mega Metagross safely, which can generate free turns for Mega Metagross.

- Xerneas pairs very well with Mega Metagross due to it being able to check dark-types such as Incineroar and Yveltal for Mega Metagross, while also being able to take on Primal Groudon without any difficulty.

- Yveltal is generally one of Mega Metagross's best partners, as, in addition to Incineroar, it is able to act as a Ghost-Type check along with breaking common Mega Metagross checks, like Primal Groudon with ease. In return, Mega Metagross can lure in and check fairy-types such as Xerneas and Tapu Lele for Yveltal.

- Tapu Fini is a notable partner, as it provides speed control via Icy Wind, which can be helpful against Mega Gengar, a way to weaken bulkier threats for Mega Metagross via Nature's Madness, and a way to protect Mega Metagross from being statused via Misty Surge.

- Mega Metagross greatly appreciates Primal Kyogre due to it being able to nullify Fire-Type attacks for it and deal with Primal Groudon.

Checks and Counters
========

**Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre** - Primal Groudon doesn't care about anything Mega Metagross throws at it barring Stomping Tantrum; however, even that may fail to 2HKO it, and in return, can possibly OHKO Mega Metagross with Precipice Blades or Fire Punch. Primal Kyogre fulfills a similar role by being bulky enough to avoid a 2HKO from any of Mega Metagross's moves and being able to 2HKO it with Origin Pulse, although it must watch out for Thunder Punch.

**Lunala** - Lunala is also extremely annoying for Mega Metagross to face because of Shadow Shield essentially making Iron Head a 4HKO at best, and in return, Lunala can OHKO Mega Metagross with Moongeist Beam. However, keep in mind that Lunala needs Shadow Shield up in order to actually check Mega Metagross, as otherwise, it will get 2HKOed by Mega Metagross's Iron Head.

**Intimidate** - As Mega Metagross relies on its solid physical attack stat to pose a threat, Intimidate from pokemon such as Incineroar, Landorus-T, base form Salamence, and Mega Manectric severely neuters Mega Metagross's damage output by lowering its physical attack. The former two are particularly worrying because they can exploit Mega Metagross's weakness to Fire- and Ground-type attacks, while the latter two may carry fire-type coverage such as Flamethower and Overheat, respectively. However, having access to Clear Body pre-mega evolution can somewhat alleviate this issue.

**Mega Gengar** - Although it fears Stomping Tantrum and Bullet Punch, Mega Gengar outspeeds and OHKOs Mega Metagross with Shadow Ball, while Mega Metagross only has Bullet Punch to actually hit Mega Gengar, which fails to OHKO it from full.

CREDITS
- Written by: [[SteelixPrismGX]]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ], [, ]]

Last edited:
I’m going to quickly note that the intimidate section should mention that Clear Body helps stave off some of the weakness Metagross has to intimidate before mega evolving.

I’d consider removing the last two calcs of the offensive and defensive section as they are somewhat unnecessary and replace them with these.

Offensive

244 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Stomping Tantrum vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 80-96 (45.4 - 54.5%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO

244 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Fini: 85-102 (48 - 57.6%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO

Defensive

252+ Atk Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 60 HP / 0 Def Metagross-Mega: 144-170 (88.3 - 104.2%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Origin Pulse vs. 60 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega in Heavy Rain: 136-162 (83.4 - 99.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 60 HP / 0 Def Metagross-Mega: 152-182 (93.2 - 111.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

From these calcs some wordings in your analysis also have to be changed. I’d change the mention of it being OHKO’d by Origin Pulse to 2HKO’d by Origin Pulse, change the mention of it being guaranteed to be OHKO’d by Precipice Blades to that it can possibly be OHKO’d by Precipice Blades and also change the line that mentions that Primal Groudon cannot be 2HKO’d by Stomping Tantrum to that it doesn’t have a guaranteed chance to be 2HKO’d by Stomping Tantrum

Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele should be mentioned a bit more as they are generally stonewalled quite a bit by Metagross and it threatens to KO each of them.

On a more minor note I’d add an image for Metagross, here’s one that I enjoy

Last edited:
I’m going to quickly note that the intimidate section should mention that Clear Body helps stave off some of the weakness Metagross has to intimidate before mega evolving.

I’d consider removing the last two calcs of the offensive and defensive section as they are somewhat unnecessary and replace them with these.

Offensive

Defensive

From these calcs some wordings in your analysis also have to be changed. I’d change the mention of it being OHKO’d by Origin Pulse to 2HKO’d by Origin Pulse, change the mention of it being guaranteed to be OHKO’d by Precipice Blades to that it can possibly be OHKO’d by Precipice Blades and also change the line that mentions that Primal Groudon cannot be 2HKO’d by Stomping Tantrum to that it doesn’t have a guaranteed chance to be 2HKO’d by Stomping Tantrum

Tapu Fini and Tapu Lele should be mentioned a bit more as they are generally stonewalled quite a bit by Metagross and it threatens to KO each of them.

On a more minor note I’d add an image for Metagross, here’s one that I enjoy
I must have been calculating with the 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe, which doesn't see much usage with the 60 HP / 244 Atk / 204 Spe being the best EV spread for Mega Metagross. Thanks for the advice, will implement! I guess the 60 HP EVs really help to avoid that OHKO from Primal Groudon's Precipice Blades and Primal Kyogre's Origin Pulse, even without any investment into defense and special defense.

EDIT: Implemented!

Oh which note, Netherious, TP03, RileySox, and latios777 (assuming I got that right), when do one of you guys plan to QC check this analysis?

Last edited:
I must have been calculating with the 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe, which doesn't see much usage with the 60 HP / 244 Atk / 204 Spe being the best EV spread for Mega Metagross. Thanks for the advice, will implement! I guess the 60 HP EVs really help to avoid that OHKO from Primal Groudon's Precipice Blades and Primal Kyogre's Origin Pulse, even without any investment into defense and special defense.

EDIT: Implemented!

Oh which note, Netherious, TP03, RileySox, and latios777 (assuming I got that right), when do one of you guys plan to QC check this analysis?
In the future I’d tag or personal message one or two individuals of the analysis team to let them know you are done with your analysis, they won’t always be looking otherwise. I’ll let Neth know you are done though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)