Battle Spot Metagross Preview [Singles]

[OVERVIEW]

Metagross has an incredible offensive presence which goes even further with Tough Claws, as 3/4 of Metagross' moveset are contact. Its movepool gives it sufficient coverage of the metagame which can often get OHKOs given Metagross' huge attack stat. Part Steel typing and natural bulk lets Metagross comfortably switch-in to a variety of moves without having to worry about gradual chip damage. Metagross however can't cover all threats in one moveset and is prone to being revenge killed by Ghost-type Pokemon including Mimikyu, Aegislash and Mega-Gengar.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses. Note that Metagross is extremely versatile, so coverage options can be changed around to suit your team.

[SET]
name: AoA (All Out Attacker)
move 1: Zen Headbutt
move 2: Bullet Punch / Meteor Mash / Iron Head
move 3: Earthquake / Hammer Arm
move 4: Ice Punch / Hammer Arm
item: Metagrossite
ability: Clear Body
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Zen Headbutt is the primary STAB which deals with bulky Poison-type pokemon such as Mega-Venusaur and Toxapex, while also providing a 2HKO on Buzzwole. Provides coverage on Rotom-W and Rotom-H as well which are otherwise big threats to Metagross, whilst also really benefiting from the power boost given by Psychic Terrain.

* Bullet Punch provides a means of priority while hitting faster Pokemon such as Pheromosa, Tapu Koko and Mega-Gengar. Meteor Mash smashes Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele and Mimikyu while also able to break Porygon2 that isn't carrying Shadow Ball. Iron Head can also be used for an accurate and reliable STAB alternative to Meteor Mash, whilst also providing a 30% flinch chance.

* Earthquake can OHKO opposing threats including Excadrill and Heatran, while most notably hitting Aegislash. Hammer Arm can 2HKO Porygon2 and OHKO Mega-Kangaskhan both Hydreigon but makes Metagross prone to being revenge killed due to the speed drop.

* Ice Punch is coverage for Ground and Dragon-type Pokemon, notably Landorus-Therian, Mega-Salamence and Garchomp.

* Thunder Punch can be used to hit Bulky Waters like Tapu Fini, Suicuine and Gyarados, but can be quite underwhelming in terms of damage.

* Brick Break remains an option of Fighting-type coverage which doesn't lower speed and can be used to break to break Light Screen, Reflect, and Aurora Veil at the cost of some power.

* The given spread allows Metagross to be as fast and as powerful as possible, while Jolly lets Metagross outspeed non-Choice Scarf Garchomp.

* Metagross appreciates a Ground-type resist or immunity as while it can usually take one super effective hit, it would much rather prefer not to.

[SET]
name: Substitute Hone Claws
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Hone Claws
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Zen Headbutt / Meteor Mash
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Substitute is the focus of this set, giving Metagross the ability to setup against opponents which can't break Metagross' substitute such as Cresselia, Tapu Fini, and non boosted Suicune. Adds a layer of protection against Will-O-Wisp as well which would otherwise cripple Metagross heavily.

* Hone Claws boosts Metagross' attack and accuracy, making Zen Headbutt and Meteor Mash a guaranteed hit after one boost.

* Zen Headbutt lets Metagross hits Rotom-H, Suicune and Rotom-W while Meteor Mash takes Cresselia and Hydregion and grants a slightly more powerful STAB option.

* Earthquake ensures that Metagross isn't walled by the likes of Excadrill, Heatran and Aegislash.

* The given EV spread allows a fast substitute while maximum HP investment compliments Metagross' natural bulk.

* As coverage options change with the use of Zen Headbutt / Meteor Mash, teammates should be Pokemon which deal with whichever Pokemon wall Metagross depending on which move you use.

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Mega-Metagross has an incredible offensive presence which goes even further with Tough Claws, as 3/4 of Mega-Metagross' moveset are contact. Its movepool gives it sufficient coverage of the metagame which can often get OHKOs given Mega-Metagross' huge attack stat. Part Steel typing and natural bulk lets Mega-Metagross comfortably switch-in to a variety of moves without having to worry about gradual chip damage.

I'd get into some of Mega Metagross's flaws too. Mainly, its Ghost-type weakness is an issue since Aegislash and Mega Gengar can revenge kill it pretty easily, and it can't really cover all threats with one moveset.

Below are some sample sets. These sets are likely to be standard, but they will be expanded upon and updated as the metagame progresses.

[SET]
name: AoA (All Out Attacker)
move 1: Meteor Mash
move 2: Zen Headbutt
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Ice Punch / Thunder Punch / Bullet Punch / Hammer Arm
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Meteor Mash is the primary STAB option to smash Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele and Mimikyu while also able to break Porygon2 that isn't carrying Shadow Ball

* Zen Headbutt is the secondary STAB which deals with bulky Poison-type pokemon such as Mega-Venusaur, Amoonguss and Toxapex Might want to mention that this move really benefits from Psychic Terrain. Also, I'd replace the Amoonguss mention with Buzzwole, who's a more high profile threat.

* Earthquake can OHKO opposing threats including Aegislash, Excadrill and Heatran

* Ice Punch is coverage for Ground and Dragon-type Pokemon, notably Landorus-Therian, Mega-Salamence and Garchomp, while Thunder Punch helps to break Bulky Waters like Tapu Fini, Suicuine and Gyarados

* Hammer Arm can 2HKO Porygon2 and OHKO Mega-Kangaskhan and Hydreigon but makes Mega-Metagross prone to being revenge killed due to the speed drop

* Bullet Punch provides a means of priority while hitting faster Pokemon such as Pheromosa, Tapu Koko and Mega-Gengar

* The given spread allows Mega-Metagross to be as fast and as powerful as possible I'd mention that Jolly lets it outspeed Garchomp in particular, which is a very important target to hit!

* Mega-Metagross appreciates a Ground-type resist or immunity as while it can usually take one super effective hit, it would much rather prefer not to
Something more controversial I want to bring up: I wonder if Zen Headbutt is more of a slash in, with Ice Punch taking its slot. I think smashing Garchomp is 100% needed, while Psychic coverage isn't needed for every team. I'd like for some other QC members to weigh in on this.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
QC Approved 1/1, gonna let this sit for a day before I upload in case anyone has any objections.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I dont like the slashes on the first set, I think it should be more like

move 1: Zen Headbutt
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Meteor Mash / Iron Head / Earthquake
move 4: Ice Punch / Earthquake / Brick Break

I feel like Zen / BP are the most important moves. dual-steel stab is also pretty common to use, then you can choose which coverage move you want in the fourth slot or drop a steel move for something. I listed brick break because I like it personally (coz FUCK ninetales leads) and dropping your speed with hammer arm has never made sense to me

alsp swap moves 3 and 4 on the sub set, STABs should be listed before coverage

Theorymon

Uploaded! I put the mention of Metagross's versatility in the set comments of the first set, but this was fine otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)