Doubles Metagross (QC 2/2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
[OVERVIEW]

Metagross can punch holes in opposing teams with its powerful Steel-type STAB attacks and coverage moves that cover many of its checks. Along with its offensive capability, Metagross possesses multiple utility moves, like Stealth Rock and Toxic, that can deal passive damage to foes. Metagross is also an excellent check to several dangerous Pokemon like Kyurem-B, Diancie, and Tapu Lele thanks to its resistances to their STAB moves. Good teammates for Metagross include Tapu Fini and Kyurem-B, with the former checking Heatran and providing Misty Terrain to let Metagross use Steel Roller and the latter threatening Landorus. In return, Metagross covers some of their respective weaknesses to Grass-types like Rillaboom and Fairy-types like Tapu Fini. One of Metagross's main flaws is its middling Speed tier, meaning it often needs proper speed control in order to attack before its foes. Otherwise, Pokemon like Heatran and Landorus can OHKO it with their respective STAB moves if Metagross is not holding the proper resist berry. When choosing a Steel-type for your team, Metagross is more oriented toward utility, whereas Pokemon like Heatran, Genesect, and Celesteela offer more explosive offense.

[SET]
name: Tank
move 1: Steel Roller / Meteor Mash
move 2: Ice Punch
move 3: Stomping Tantrum
move 4: Stealth Rock / Toxic / Protect
item: Shuca Berry / Occa Berry
ability: Clear Body
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

* Steel Roller is incredibly powerful, able to at least 2HKO almost everything that doesn't resist it. However, it requires a Terrain to be active to do damage, so it is recommended that you have at least one terrain setter like Tapu Fini or Rillaboom. Meteor Mash, while having considerably less power and shaky accuracy, is not reliant on a terrain being active.

* Ice Punch covers Ground- and Flying-types, OHKOing against Landorus and having a small chance of OHKOing Zygarde.

* Stomping Tantrum covers Electric- and Fire-types, 2HKOing Zeraora and Incineroar while picking up an OHKO on Heatran.

* Stealth Rock chips away at opposing switch-ins and is especially good against Rock-weak Pokemon like Kyurem-B and Incineroar. Toxic is great at wearing down bulky Pokemon like Porygon2 and Tapu Fini. Protect can be used if other teammates are able to provide such utility or the utility isn't deemed necessary.

* Occa Berry weakens Fire-type attacks like Heatran's Eruption, while Shuca Berry weakens Ground-type attacks like Landorus's Earth Power, allowing Metagross to OHKO them in return.

* Clear Body prevents other Pokemon from dropping its stats, most significantly making Metagross unfazed by Intimidate.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Bullet Punch gives Metagross a weak priority move that can make up for its lack of Speed. Zen Headbutt can be run as a Psychic-type STAB attack that is best at damaging Urshifu-R and Amoonguss, but it's generally less effective than running Ice or Ground coverage. Hammer Arm provides Fighting coverage, but it's only more powerful against Porygon2 and Incineroar when compared to its standard attacks. The slot dedicated to a status move can be replaced with any of the aforementioned moves. An Assault Vest can make Metagross bulkier against special attackers in general, and with 112 EVs shifted from Attack to Special Defense, it can take an Eruption from Modest Charcoal Heatran. Running the combination of Cosmic Power and Body Press makes Metagross a wincon that punishes passive play.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[KennyJ, 154787]]
- Quality checked by: [[dnagerbdager, 531334], [Memoric, 215000]]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659]]

Last edited:
heya just gonna comment through on this, lmk when implemented and I'll be back with a proper check

overview/moveset:
big comment on the set is that I think meteor mash should be slashed with steel roller instead of in OO. it's picked up a lot in scl meta and for good reason: you're far less terrain reliant and maintain a similar offensive presence. similarly, AV has picked up /some/ usage but not a lot and it immediately locks you out of rocks and/or toxic which are pretty big reasons to use gross on paper. set should be, imo:

roller / mash
tantrum / toxic
ice punch / toxic
stealth rock / toxic
@ occa berry/shuca berry

the overview takes a while to get to the point, that being that metagross is a bulky steel that provides offensive coverage to beat the likes a b c x y z and provides teams with utility options like stealth rock and toxic. as a result of the above comment on meteor mash, I'd probably save the nag on steel roller for the set details

when you talk about a pokemon's resources, it's good practice to list partner that can help it overcome them (in this case stuff like tapu fini, porygon2, kyurem-b are good mentions)

set details
the steel roller point is too negative, the drawback concerns are valid but i would at least talk about how its easy to pull off with terrains being omnipresent in doubles and some of the insane calcs it's capable of (pretty much a guaranteed 50%+ on anything that isn't steel resistant). meteor mash point can go after this saying that it's not reliant on terrain to be used and can net attack boosts but shaky accuracy and less immediate power are notable drawbacks

landorus > zapdos on ice punch point

I'd mention a few pokemon stealth rock chips down, rock weaks like kyurem-b are big but also pivots such as rillaboom and incineroar not running heavy duty boots

mention toxic being good for crippling walls like porygon2 and tapu fini, drop bullet punch to OO

start the spread comment by saying "The given EV spread lets Metagross survive Heatran's Eruption while also ... "

OO options are good, like i said just bump mash to main set and put bp here. Protect is honestly not terrible on an offensive set if rocks are somewhere else on the team or just not necessary.

let me know when this is done :)

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
QC check! (approved by emma) Implement and tag when done!

[OVERVIEW]
  • I would move the sentence where you mention gross's competition to the end (and flesh it out more while you're at it). It kinda messes up the flow right now.
  • I don't know how much I like the wording in the sentence about Metagross's utility moves, something like "Along with its offensive movepool, Metagross possesses several utility moves, like Stealth Rock and Toxic, that are useful for wearing down opposing Pokemon."
  • For the line about what Metagross checks, i'd change it to something similar to "Metagross is also one of the best checks to several dangerous Pokemon like Kyurem-B, Diancie, and Tapu Lele thanks to its resistances to their STAB moves."
  • Move the section about Zygarde and Heatran to then end.
  • For the good teammates section, mention specific Pokemon (i.e. Rillaboom for fini, Diancie for Kyurem-B). Also mention how Tapu Fini provides terrain for Steel Roller.
[SET COMMENTS]
  • Reword the Ice Punch line into something along the lines of "Ice Punch allows Metagross to hit Ground-types like Zygarde and Landorus-I"
  • Same with Stomping Tantrum, probs "Stomping Tantrum hit Fire- and Electric-types, like Heatran, Volcanion, and Zeraora."
  • You don't have to mention specific examples of what max-max spreads do, just mention how the spread maximizes Metagross's bulk and allows it to hit as hard as possible. Speed creeping in analyses is also a no no.
  • Remove the first sentence in the line about the resist berries.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
  • I'd combine the lines about Iron Head and Bullet Punch into a single sentence
  • I'd also mention dropping SR/toxic/ for any of the moves mentioned (besides Iron Head)

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
We're back so I'm checking this again

[OVERVIEW]
  • I would lump both disadvantages to using Metagross (competition, Heatran and Landorus outspeeding+threatening to OHKO) in the end to allow the overview to flow better.
[SET DETAILS]
  • For Ice Punch mention how it OHKOs Landorus and has a chance to OHKO Zygarde.
  • Similar thing with Stomping Tantrum. OHKOs Heatran and 2HKOs Incineroar and Zeraora.
  • For the line about the resist berries, say that the berries allow Metagross to fire off an attack, which allows it to check those mons in a pinch. Another fact that might be worth mentioning is Metagross needs 128 Special Defense EVs to always live Modest Charcoal Heatran's Eruption, although this one is entirely up to you.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • For the line "The slot dedicated to a status move can be replaced with another attacking move," I would say "any of the above attacking moves" instead of "another attacking move."
Overall good work, there are some slight spelling errors in regard to the Pokemon names throughout, so I would double check those. I think you can implement this on your own so I'm approving this.

QC 1/2
(I swear I'm getting my stamp soon)

Hey, this Is an AM QC check, implementing is not mandatory! Good work here
[OVERVIEW]

Metagross is one of the premier Steel-types in Doubles OU. It can punch holes in opposing teams with its powerful Steel STABs or coverage moves that cover many of its checks. Along with its offensive capability, Metagross possesses multiple utility moves, like Stealth Rock and Toxic, that can deal passive damage to opponents. Metagross is also an excellent check to several dangerous Pokemon like Kyurem-B, Diancie, and Tapu Lele thanks to its resistances to their STAB moves. Good teammates for Metagross include Tapu Fini and Kyurem-B, the former checking Heatran and providing terrain to let Metagross use Steel Roller and the latter which can threaten Landorus. In return, Metagross covers some of their respective weaknesses like Grass and Fairy. Rillaboom is also a great partner for Metagross as it can provide Fake Out support to beat the aforementioned whilst giving terrain control in order to Toxic bulky threats without Misty Terrain interfering. (mainly for meteor mash) One of Metagross's main drawbacks is its awkward speed tier, meaning it often needs proper speed control to attack before its opponents, otherwise Pokemon like Heatran or Landorus can OHKO it with their respective STABs if Metagross is not holding the proper resist berry. Examples for these speed control partners Meanwhile, other Steel-types like Heatran, Genesect, and Celesteela give Metagross competition for a slot on teams. Explain why Metagross is picked over these

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Steel Roller is incredibly powerful, able to at least 2HKO almost everything that doesn't resist it, but requires a terrain to be active to do damage. Meteor Mash, while having considerably less power and shaky accuracy, has a chance to boost Metagross's Attack.

* Ice Punch is a guaranteed OHKO against Landorus and has a small chance of OHKOing Zygarde.

* Stomping Tantrum 2HKOs Incineroar and Zeraora while picking up an OHKO on Heatran.
also provides coverage, helping against Fire- and Electric-types like Heatran, Incineroar, and Zeraora. Mirror mentioning

* Stealth Rock chips away at opposing switch-ins, and is especially good against Rock-weak Pokemon like Kyurem-B and Incineroar. Toxic is great at wearing down bulky Pokemon like Porygon2 and Tapu Fini mention terrain can prevent Toxic. Protect can be used if other teammates are able to provide such utility or the utility isn't deemed necessary.

* Max HP and max Attack amplifies Metagross's bulk while also hitting as hard as possible.

* Occa Berry weakens Fire-type attacks like Heatran's Eruption and Shuca Berry weakens Ground-type attacks like Landorus's Earth Power.

* Clear Body prevents other Pokemon from dropping its stats, most significantly making Metagross unfazed by Intimidate.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Iron Head and Bullet Punch are other Steel-type moves Metagross can run, the former being slightly less powerful than Meteor Mash but with reliable accuracy and the latter being a weak priority move. Zen Headbutt and Psycho Cut are Psychic STAB attacks that are best at damaging Urshifu-R and Amoongus, but are generally less effective than running Ice or Ground coverage
Hammer Arm provides Fighting coverage, but it's only more powerful against Porygon2 and Incineroar when compared to its standard attacks. The slot dedicated to a status move can be replaced with any of the above attacking moves. An Assault Vest can make Metagross bulkier against speicial attackers in general, and with 112 EVs shifted from Attack to Sp. Def, it can take an Eruption from Modest Charcoal Heatran. Weakness Policy can turn Metagross into a threatening sweeper, but is generally less reliable than either of the sets listed above, though it can be made more reliable with a faster partner that knows Bulldoze.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[dnagerbdager, 531334], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
[/QUOTE]

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
sorry for the delay. check

OV
  • "In return, Metagross covers some of their respective weaknesses like Grass and Fairy" - rewrite these to emphasize specific threats e.g. "weaknesses to Grass- and Fairy-types threats such as x and y
  • Add more to final line, it doesn't actually say why they're competition or why Metagross is good. Emphasize Metagross being more about utility while not being less focused on offense.
Set
  • The Attack boost doesn't really matter on Metagross, emphasize more its independence from Terrains.
  • For Ice Punch, focus on naming types of threats first, then name specific targets e.g. "covers Grass- and Ground-types such as...". Same thing for Stomping Tantrum.
  • Emphasize how the resist berries also position Metagross to being able to OHKO back.
OO
  • Don't mention WP. Mention the Cosmic Power set here.
tag somewhere when done

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
check
  • Final line is better, but make sure to be explicit in mentioning that they're pokemon in competition of the steel-type role, as right now it looks like a non sequtur.
Moves
  • For Steel Roller, put that it's only advised when it has a Terrain setting teammate such as x and y.
OO
  • Cut Iron Head. Cut Psych Cut.
2/2

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I noticed you have a lot of run-on sentences, please implement carefully if you choose to do so.
[OVERVIEW]

Metagross is one of the premier Steel-types in Doubles OU. It Metagross can punch holes in opposing teams with its powerful Steel STABs or coverage moves that cover many of its checks. Along with In addition to its offensive capability, Metagross possesses multiple utility moves, like Stealth Rock and Toxic, that can deal passive damage to opponents. Metagross is also an excellent check to several dangerous Pokemon like Kyurem-B, Diancie, and Tapu Lele thanks to its resistances to their STAB moves. Good teammates for Metagross include Tapu Fini and Kyurem-B, with the former checking Heatran and providing terrain to let Metagross use Steel Roller and the latter which can threaten Landorus. In return, Metagross covers some of their respective weaknesses like Grass-types in Rillaboom and Fairy-types such as Tapu Fini. One of Metagross's main drawbacks flaws (A drawback is something like taking up a mega slot) is its awkward speed tier, meaning it often needs proper speed control to attack before its opponents. (AP) Otherwise Pokemon like Heatran or Landorus can OHKO it with their respective STABs if Metagross is not holding the proper resist berry. When choosing a Steel-type for your team, Metagross is more oriented toward utility, whereas Pokemon like Heatran, Genesect, and Celesteela offer more explosive offense.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Steel Roller is incredibly powerful, with the ability able to at least 2HKO almost everything that doesn't resist it. However, it but requires a terrain to be active to do damage, so it is recommended that you have at least one terrain setter like Tapu Fini or Rillaboom. Meteor Mash, while having considerably less power and shaky accuracy, is not reliant on a terrain being active.

* Ice Punch covers Ground- and Flying-type, being a guaranteed OHKO against Landorus and having a small chance of OHKOing Zygarde.

* Stomping Tantrum covers Electric- and Fire-types, 2HKOing Incineroar and Zeraora while picking up an OHKO on Heatran.

* Stealth Rock chips away at opposing switch-ins, and is especially good against Rock-weak Pokemon like Kyurem-B and Incineroar. Toxic is great at wearing down bulky Pokemon like Porygon2 and Tapu Fini. Protect can be used if other teammates are able to provide such utility or the utility isn't deemed necessary.

* Max HP and max Attack amplifies Metagross's bulk while also hitting as hard as possible.

* Occa Berry weakens Fire-type attacks like Hetran's Eruption and Shuca Berry weakens Ground-type attacks like Landorus's Earth Power, allowing Metagross to OHKO them in return.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Bullet Punch gives Metagross a weak priority move that can make up for its lack of speed. Zen Headbutt can be run as a Psychic STAB attack that is best at damaging Urshifu-R and Amoongus, but are generally less effective than running Ice or Ground coverage. Hammer Arm provides Fighting coverage, but it's only more powerful against Porygon2 and Incineroar when compared to its standard attacks. The slot dedicated to a status move can be replaced with any of the aforementioned above attacking moves. An Assault Vest can make Metagross bulkier against speicial special attackers in general, and with 112 EVs shifted from Attack to Sp. Def, it can take an Eruption from Modest Charcoal Heatran. Running the combination of Cosmic Power plus Body Press makes Metagross a win condition that punishes passive play.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]

deetah

Bright like a diamond
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
GP & SocMed Lead
Add Remove Comments (AC) = Add Comma (RC) = Remove Comma
Borrowed a few of Aqua Jet's recommended changes.

GP 1/1

Qiqi_Stamp.gif

[OVERVIEW]

Metagross is one of the premier Steel-types in Doubles OU. It can punch holes in opposing teams with its powerful Steel-type STABs or STAB attacks and coverage moves that cover many of its checks. Along with its offensive capability, Metagross possesses multiple utility moves, like Stealth Rock and Toxic, that can deal passive damage to opponents foes. Metagross is also an excellent check to several dangerous Pokemon like Kyurem-B, Diancie, and Tapu Lele thanks to its resistances to their STAB moves. Good teammates for Metagross include Tapu Fini and Kyurem-B, with the former checking Heatran and providing terrain Misty Terrain to let Metagross use Steel Roller and the latter which can threaten threatening Landorus. In return, Metagross covers some of their respective weaknesses like to Grass-types in like Rillaboom and Fairy-types like Tapu Fini. One of Metagross's main drawbacks flaws is its awkward lower Speed (Capitalize) tier, meaning it often needs proper speed control in order to attack before its opponents foes. (Period) Otherwise, (AC) Pokemon like Heatran or and Landorus can OHKO it with their respective STABs STAB moves if Metagross is not holding the proper resist pinch Berry. When choosing a Steel-type for your team, Metagross is more oriented toward utility, whereas Pokemon like Heatran, Genesect, and Celesteela offer more explosive offense.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

* Steel Roller is incredibly powerful, able to at least 2HKO almost everything that doesn't resist it. (Period) but However, it requires a Terrain (Capitalize) to be active to do damage, so it is recommended that you have at least one Terrain setter like Tapu Fini or Rillaboom. Meteor Mash, while having considerably less power and shaky accuracy, is not reliant on a Terrain being active.

* Ice Punch covers Ground- and Flying-types, being a guaranteed OHKOing against Landorus and having a small chance of OHKOing Zygarde.

* Stomping Tantrum covers Electric- and Fire-types, 2HKOing Zeraora and Incineroar and Zeraora (Have examples match order of listed typings) while picking up an OHKO on Heatran.

* Stealth Rock chips away at opposing switch-ins, (RC) and is especially good against Rock-weak Pokemon like Kyurem-B and Incineroar. Toxic is great at wearing down bulky Pokemon like Porygon2 and Tapu Fini. Protect can be used if other teammates are able to provide such utility or the utility isn't deemed necessary.

* Max HP and max Attack amplifies Metagross's bulk while also hitting as hard as possible. (Known info)

* Occa Berry weakens Fire-type attacks like Hetran's Heatran's Eruption, (AC) and while Shuca Berry weakens Ground-type attacks like Landorus's Earth Power, allowing Metagross to OHKO them in return.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Bullet Punch gives Metagross a weak priority move that can make up for its lack of Speed (Capitalize). Zen Headbutt can be run as a Psychic-type STAB attack that is best at damaging Urshifu-R and Amoongus Amoonguss, but are it's generally less effective than running Ice or Ground coverage. Hammer Arm provides Fighting coverage, but it's only more powerful against Porygon2 and Incineroar when compared to its standard attacks. The slot dedicated to a status move can be replaced with any of the above attacking aforementioned moves. An Assault Vest can make Metagross bulkier against speicial special attackers in general, and with 112 EVs shifted from Attack to Sp. Def Special Defense, it can take an Eruption from Modest Charcoal Heatran. Running the combination of Cosmic Power plus and Body Press makes Metagross a win condition wincon that punishes passive play.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[deetah, 297659]]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)