Metal Sound Heatran (Rewrite)

Philip let me rewrite this set due the concept of my portion of the analysis relying heavily on Latias. So that answers why this isn't in QC if anyone is wondering. I removed all mentions of Latias and am currently working on finding a better EV Spread due to the old one being built to survive key hits from Latias who is now Uber. I will be gone from Wed-Fri so don't except any updates until then. Thanks and proofread away!

Status: Uploaded. Thanks a bunch Zapper, I know I can count on you! Great analysis.

[SET]
Name: Metal Sound Heatran
Move 1: Metal Sound
Move 2: Fire Blast
Move 3: Earth Power
Move 4: Hidden Power Grass
Item: Life Orb / Passho Berry
Nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Combine base 130 Special Attack, 120 Base Power Fire Blast, and the Special Defense-reducing Metal Sound, and Heatran becomes an extremely potent threat in the OU metagame. With Metal Sound, Heatran can combat Pokemon whom he otherwise cannot, such as Blissey, Tyranitar, and bulky Water-types. Because of this, Heatran can more effectively threaten his common switch-ins, making him harder to check.</p>

<p>After taking a Metal Sound, even Pokémon who resist Fire Blast will take huge amounts of damage. Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass are used for type coverage. The former hits Tyranitar and opposing Heatran, while the latter hits Water-types who constantly shut down Heatran. (It should be noted that the majority of Tyranitar hold Choice Scarf, so take caution if you decide to stay in and go for the kill). In OU, only Salamence and Dragonite resist this combination of moves; however, if you are able to hit them with Fire Blast after a Metal Sound, they are in for a deadly surprise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Below are several damage calculations demonstrating the power Timid Heatran's Life Orb-boosted attacks have against threatening opponents hit by Metal Sound.</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Fire Blast vs 0 HP / 0 SpD Naive Salamence: 100%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs 0 HP / 0 SpD Jolly Dragonite: 79% - 93%</li>
<li>Fire Blast vs 24 HP / 232 SpD Calm Blissey: 46% - 54%</li>
<li>Earth Power vs 160 HP / 0 SpD Adamant Tyranitar: 89% - 100%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs 188 HP / 0 SpD Bold Vaporeon: 92% - 100%</li>
<li>Hidden Power Grass vs 252 HP / 0 SpD Bold Suicune: 87% - 100%</li>
</ul>

<p>The strategy to using this set effectively is to switch Heatran in on a Pokemon whom he can threaten instantly, such as Rotom-A or Jirachi, and use Metal Sound while your opponent switches out. Once that has been accomplished, proceed to hit the switch-in with the most appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Although Heatran can hit hard after using Metal Sound, he usually will not obtain the KO, as some of his common counters, such as Starmie and offensive Suicune, will outspeed and threaten him. In order to remedy this situation, Heatran can use a Passho Berry so he can withstand a Water-type attack before securing the KO. Dropping some of his Speed EVs for HP EVs gives him enough bulk to withstand these Water-type attacks; an ideal spread to use would be Modest and 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe. This spread allows Heatran to survive a Timid Life Orb Hydro Pump from Starmie and easily KO back with Hidden Power Grass off of its –2 Special Defense from Metal Sound. Heatran also withstands a Hydro Pump from offensive Suicune and OHKOes it with Hidden Power Grass after Stealth Rock damage and sandstorm in play. He can also outspeed CroCune and 2HKO it. Furthermore, this spread is fast enough to outrun max Speed Adamant Scizor and most Magnezone. Although the suggested spread provides a decent amount of bulk for mid-game survivability, there are other options that can be used. You could opt to use 224 Speed EVs to outspeed defensive Zapdos, defensive Celebi, non-Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and neutral-nature 36 Speed Jirachi; however, you could opt for more bulk and simply settle for outrunning CroCune, which would require a mere investment of 80 Speed EVs.</p>

<p>Since Heatran appreciates the use of lures to bring in Pokemon whom he can set up on, that should be taken into account when using this. Jirachi is a great lure for Rotom-A, allowing Heatran to come in without much worry and gain a potential Flash Fire Boost from Will-O-Wisp or, in Rotom-H's case, Overheat. Another great teammate to use is Gengar, who can lure in Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor. Entry hazard support is also strongly recommended as it helps Heatran score the needed KOs that he otherwise could not achieve, such as against Dragonite. Metal Sound also tends to force switches, racking up entry hazard damage on the opponent. Swampert makes a great Stealth Rock supporter with his overall bulk, and he also lures in Grass-types, such as Celebi, which Heatran can take advantage of. Skarmory is one of the most reliable Spikes users in the OU metagame, making him a prime candidate for setting them up. He also attracts Fire-type attacks and Rotom-A, whom Heatran can switch into without much fear.</p>

[SET]
Item: Life Orb/ Passho Berry
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SAtk/ 252 Spe
IVs: 2 Atk/ 30 SAtk

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Combine base 130 Special Attack, 120 Base Power Fire Blast, and the Special Defense-reducing Metal Sound, and Heatran makes an extremely potent threat in the OU metagame. With Metal Sound, Heatran can combat Pokemon whom he otherwise cannot, such as Blissey, Tyranitar, and bulky Water-types. Because of this, Heatran can more effectively threaten his common switch-ins, making him harder to check.</p>

<p>After taking a Metal Sound, even Pokémon who resist Fire Blast will take huge amounts of damage. Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass are used for type coverage. The former hits Tyranitar and Heatran, while the latter hits Water-types who constantly shut down Heatran. In OU, only Salamence and Dragonite resist this combination of moves; however, if you are able to hit them with Fire Blast after a Metal Sound, they are in for a deadly surprise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To demonstrate the power Heatran's Life Orb-boosted attacks have against opponents hit by Metal Sound, below are several damage calculations against Pokemon who would otherwise threaten Heatran.</p>

<p>The strategy to using this set effectively is to switch Heatran in on someone whom he can threaten instantly, such as Rotom-A or Jirachi, and use Metal Sound since your opponent will likely switch out. Once that has been accomplished, proceed to hit the switch-in with the most appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Although Heatran can hit hard after using Metal Sound, he usually will not obtain the KO as some of his common counters, such as Starmie and offensive Suicune, will outspeed and threaten him. In order to remedy this situation, Heatran can use Passho Berry so he can withstand a hit before securing the KO. drop some of his Speed EVs for HP EVs. An ideal spread to use with this Heatran lure would be Modest and 88 HP/ 252 SpA/ 168Spe. This spread allows you to survive a Timid Life Orb Hydro Pump from Starmie and easily KO back with Hidden Power Grass off of its –2 Special Defense. Heatran also withstands a Hydro Pump from Offensive Suicune and OHKOes with Hidden Power [Grass] after Stealth Rock damage and Sandstorm in play. He can also outspeed the standard CroCune and 2HKO it. This spread is also fast enough to outrun max Speed Adamant Scizor and any Magnezone attempting to outspeed that same Scizor. Although, the suggested spread provides a decent amount of bulk for Heatran that helps with mid-game survivability, there are other options that can be used. You could opt to use 224 Speed EVs which is enough to outspeed defensive Zapdos, defensive Celebi, Tyranitar, and Calm Mind Jirachi or you could opt for more bulk and simply settle for outrunning CroCune which would require a mere investment of 80 Speed EVs. </p>

<p>Since Heatran appreciates the use of lures to bring in Pokemon whom he can set up on, that should be taken into account when using Metal Sound Heatran. Jirachi is a great lure for Rotom-A, allowing Heatran to come in without much worry and gain a potential Flash Fire Boost from Will-O-Wisp or, in Rotom-H's case, Overheat. Another great teammate to use is Gengar, who can lure in Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor. Entry hazard support is also strongly recommended as it helps Heatran score the needed KOs that he otherwise couldn't achieve, such as Dragonite. Metal Sound also tends to force switches, racking up entry hazard damage on the opponent. Swampert makes a great Stealth Rock supporter with his overall bulk and he also lures in Grass-types, like Celebi, of whom Heatran can take advantage of. Skarmory is one of the most reliable Spikes users in the OU metagame, making him a prime candidate for setting them up. He also attracts Fire-type attacks and Pokemon like Rotom-A, whom Heatran can switch into without much fear. </p>

All I could see. Also, I feel like it should be pointed out that Tyranitar is not 100% garunteed target because ScarfTar Earthquake will OHKO the suggested EV Spread as well as all the other suggested spreads.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
Nothing major, just spacing and the stats :)

</ul>
Missing tag after calculations.

Thanks for the proofreads Alan and Komodo!

Also, I feel like it should be pointed out that Tyranitar is not 100% garunteed target because ScarfTar Earthquake will OHKO the suggested EV Spread as well as all the other suggested spreads.
This is true, though in the calculations that Fuzznip did, he used Adamant Tyranitar and those are mostly DDTars which Heatran easily outspeeds which I believe was what he was refering to when he mentioned Tyranitar(slower Tars that Tran can easily dispatch with Earth Power after Metal Sound). I am pretty certain nobody uses an Adamant ScarfTar...

Regardless, to make the passage clearer I will add a note about ScarfTar.

he also lures in Grass-types, like Celebi, of whom Heatran can take advantage of
Awkward/grammatically incorrect. Also worrying is that Celebi can run Earth Power. Try: "he also lures in Grass-types that Heatran can take advantage of."

Also worrying is that Celebi can run Earth Power. Try: "he also lures in Grass-types that Heatran can take advantage of."
You raise a good point. Though by your logic, you frame the sentence by using the worst possible situation that there is no Grass-type that Heatran can take advantage of as Shaymin also has Earth Power, Sceptile has Focus Blast, and Breloom can outspeed Heatran if you opt for one of the slower spreads. That leaves a few UU and NU Grass-types which isn't practical and probably isn't what the meaning of the sentence had in mind. Obviously when Celebi is mentioned it is one that Heatran can take advantage of.

Not trying to shoot you down, but what I'm trying to say is that the sentence becomes too specialized and conditional that way which takes away from the meaning of the sentence. I might be reading too much into it though =/. Maybe I will use Defensive Celebi for clarity.

I believe the sentence is correct though. In the entirety of the analysis, Heatran is referred to as he so Heatran is being treated as a person so whom or who would be the correct pronoun in this case instead of that because that is used for objects and the like. I guess the wording may sound weird but I don't know. =/ Not sure if I am right about this stuff though.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
hooray for Sarenji's new app!

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Combine base 130 Special Attack, 120 Base Power STAB Fire Blast, and the Special Defense-reducing Metal Sound, and Heatran makes an extremely potent threat in the OU metagame. With Metal Sound, Heatran can combat Pokemon whom he otherwise cannot, such as Blissey, Tyranitar, and bulky Water-types. Because of this, Heatran can more effectively threaten his common switch-ins, making him harder to check.</p>

<p>After taking a Metal Sound, even Pokémon who resist Fire Blast will take huge amounts of damage. Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass are used for type coverage. The former hits Tyranitar and Heatran, while the latter hits Water-types who constantly shut down Heatran.(It should be noted that the majority of Tyranitar are Choice Scarf sets so take caution if you decide to stay in and go for the kill). In OU, onlyWhile Salamence and Dragonite are the only ones in OU that resist this combination of moves; however, if you are able to hit them with Fire Blast after a Metal Sound, they are in for a deadly surprise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To demonstrate the power Heatran's Life Orb-boosted attacks have against opponents hit by Metal Sound, below are several damage calculations against Pokemon who would otherwise threaten Heatran.</p>

</ul>

<p>The strategy to using this set effectively is to switch Heatran in on someone whom he can threaten instantly, such as Rotom-A or Jirachi, and use Metal Sound since your opponent will likely switch out. Once that has been accomplished, proceed to hit the switch-in with the most appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Although Heatran can hit hard after using Metal Sound, he usually will not obtain the KO as some of his common counters, such as Starmie and offensive Suicune, will outspeed and threaten him. In order to remedy this situation, Heatran can use Passho Berry so he can withstand a hit before securing the KO. You can even drop some of his Speed EVs for HP EVs. A; an ideal spread to use with this Heatran lurelure-like Heatran would be Modest andwith 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe. (you had bad spacing here) This spread allows you to survive a Timid Life Orb Hydro Pump from Starmie and easily KO back with Hidden Power Grass off of its –2 Special Defense. Heatran also withstands a Hydro Pump from Offensive Suicune and OHKOes with Hidden Power [Grass] after Stealth Rock damage and Sandstorm in play. He can also outspeed the standard CroCune and 2HKO it. This spread is also fast enough to outrun max Speed Adamant Scizor and any Magnezone attempting to outspeed that same Scizor. Although, the suggested spread provides a decent amount of bulk for Heatran that helps with mid-game survivability, there are other options that can be used. You could opt to use 224 Speed EVs which is enough to outspeed defensive Zapdos, defensive Celebi, Tyranitar, and Calm Mind Jirachi or you could opt for more bulk and simply settle for outrunning CroCune which would require a mere investment of 80 Speed EVs. </p>

<p>Since Heatran appreciates the use of lures to bring in Pokemon whom he can set up on, that should be taken into account when using Metal Sound Heatran. Jirachi is a great lure for Rotom-A, allowing Heatran to come in without much worry and gain a potential Flash Fire Boost from Will-O-Wisp or, in Rotom-H's case, Overheat. Another great teammate to use is Gengar, who can lure in Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor. Entry hazard support is also strongly recommended as it helps Heatran score the needed KOs that heit otherwise could not achieve, such as against Dragonite. Metal Sound also tends to force switches, racking up entry hazard damage on the opponent. Swampert makes a great Stealth Rock supporter with his overall bulk and he also lures in Grass-types, like Celebi, of whom Heatran can take advantage of, such as Celebi. Skarmory is one of the most reliable Spikes users in the OU metagame, making him a prime candidate for setting them up. He also attracts Fire-type attacks and Pokemon like Rotom-A, whom Heatran can switch into without much fear. </p>

Thanks Zystral.

Though I disagree with some of these changes like this one:
Entry hazard support is also strongly recommended as it helps Heatran score the needed KOs that heit otherwise could not achieve, such as against Dragonite.
He should be used because it would refer to entry hazard support which can't really score a KO...

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Heatran is a 50% chance of being both gender, and in general it was decided for C&C that all pronouns would be "it"
Heatran is the one who cannot score KOs, so IT is referred to. Subject/Object etc.

Heatran is a 50% chance of being both gender, and in general it was decided for C&C that all pronouns would be "it"
I remember a discussion on #c&c where the pronoun was agreed on he/she as long as the usage was consistent throughout the passage. Plus the whole analysis already refers to Heatran as he...
I'll leave it as is for now.

use he or she as long as it's consistent. using he or she allows for more clarification and is a little more pleasing to read.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
This looks pretty good, so I think after you add my changes, as long as there's no content issues that I'm failing to pick up on, this should be about ready for an upload?

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Combine base 130 Special Attack, 120 Base Power Fire Blast, and the Special Defense-reducing Metal Sound, and Heatran becomes ["makes" sounds odd in this sentence] an extremely potent threat in the OU metagame. With Metal Sound, Heatran can combat Pokemon whom he otherwise cannot, such as Blissey, Tyranitar, and bulky Water-types. Because of this, Heatran can more effectively threaten his common switch-ins, making him harder to check.</p>

<p>After taking a Metal Sound, even Pokémon who resist Fire Blast will take huge amounts of damage. Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass are used for type coverage. The former hits Tyranitar and Heatran, while the latter hits Water-types who constantly shut down Heatran. (It should be noted that the majority of Tyranitar are Choice Scarf sets, so take caution if you decide to stay in and go for the kill). In OU, only Salamence and Dragonite resist this combination of moves; however, if you are able to hit them with Fire Blast after a Metal Sound, they are in for a deadly surprise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

</ul>

<p>The strategy to using this set effectively is to switch Heatran in on someone whom he can threaten instantly, such as Rotom-A or Jirachi, and use Metal Sound while your opponent switches out. Once that has been accomplished, proceed to hit the switch-in with the most appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Although Heatran can hit hard after using Metal Sound, he usually will not obtain the KO, as some of his common counters, such as Starmie and offensive Suicune, will outspeed and threaten him. In order to remedy this situation, Heatran can use Passho Berry so he can withstand a Water-type attack before securing the KO. Dropping some of his Speed EVs for HP EVs gives him enough bulk to withstand these Water-type attacks; an ideal spread to use with this Heatran lure would be Modest and 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe [spacing issues]. This spread allows you to survive a Timid Life Orb Hydro Pump from Starmie and easily KO back with Hidden Power Grass off of its –2 Special Defense. Heatran also withstands a Hydro Pump from Offensive Suicune and OHKOes with Hidden Power Grass after Stealth Rock damage and sandstorm ["sandstorm" isn't capitalized] in play. He can also outspeed the standard CroCune and 2HKO it. This spread is also fast enough to outrun max Speed Adamant Scizor and any Magnezone attempting to outspeed that same Scizor. Although the suggested spread provides a decent amount of bulk for Heatran that helps with mid-game survivability, there are other options that can be used. You could opt to use 224 Speed EVs, which is enough to outspeed defensive Zapdos, defensive Celebi, non-Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and Calm Mind Jirachi; however, you could opt for more bulk and simply settle for outrunning CroCune, which would require a mere investment of 80 Speed EVs. </p>

<p>Since Heatran appreciates the use of lures to bring in Pokemon whom he can set up on, that should be taken into account when using Metal Sound Heatran. Jirachi is a great lure for Rotom-A, allowing Heatran to come in without much worry and gain a potential Flash Fire Boost from Will-O-Wisp or, in Rotom-H's case, Overheat. Another great teammate to use is Gengar, who can lure in Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor. Entry hazard support is also strongly recommended as it helps Heatran score the needed KOs that he otherwise could not achieve, such as against Dragonite. Metal Sound also tends to force switches, racking up entry hazard damage on the opponent. Swampert makes a great Stealth Rock supporter with his overall bulk, and he also lures in Grass-types Heatran [spacing issue] can take advantage of, such as Celebi. Skarmory is one of the most reliable Spikes users in the OU metagame, making him a prime candidate for setting them up. He also attracts Fire-type attacks and Pokemon like Rotom-A, whom Heatran can switch into without much fear. </p>

Great job; as a quick note, I don't recommend directly C+Ping my edits, as I included comments in some instances.

This looks pretty good, so I think after you add my changes, as long as there's no content issues that I'm failing to pick up on, this should be about ready for an upload?
Yea, I did all of them manually. Thanks for the proofread. Hopefully it will be ready for uploading.

Great job; as a quick note, I don't recommend directly C+Ping my edits, as I included comments in some instances.
Thanks. I didn't C+P.

Grammar-Prose Check 1 of 2.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Combine base 130 Special Attack, 120 Base Power Fire Blast, and the Special Defense-reducing Metal Sound, and Heatran becomes an extremely potent threat in the OU metagame. With Metal Sound, Heatran can combat Pokemon whom he otherwise cannot, such as Blissey, Tyranitar, and bulky Water-types. Because of this, Heatran can more effectively threaten his common switch-ins, making him harder to check.</p>

<p>After taking a Metal Sound, even Pokémon who resist Fire Blast will take huge amounts of damage. Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass are used for type coverage. The former hits Tyranitar and Heatran, while the latter hits Water-types who constantly shut down Heatran. (It should be noted that the majority of Tyranitar hold Choice Scarf, so take caution if you decide to stay in and go for the kill). In OU, only Salamence and Dragonite resist this combination of moves; however, if you are able to hit them with Fire Blast after a Metal Sound, they are in for a deadly surprise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>To demonstrate the power Timid Heatran's Life Orb-boosted attacks have against threatening opponents hit by Metal Sound, below are several damage calculations portraying this. [I kind of felt the previous wording was a little awkward to read.]</p>

</ul>

<p>The strategy to using this set effectively is to switch Heatran in on someone whom he can threaten instantly, such as Rotom-A or Jirachi, and use Metal Sound while your opponent switches out. Once that has been accomplished, proceed to hit the switch-in with the most appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Although Heatran can hit hard after using Metal Sound, he usually will not obtain the KO, as some of his common counters, such as Starmie and offensive Suicune, will outspeed and threaten him. In order to remedy this situation, Heatran can use Passho Berry so he can withstand a Water-type attack before securing the KO. Dropping some of his Speed EVs for HP EVs gives him enough bulk to withstand these Water-type attacks; an ideal spread to use with this Heatran would be Modest and 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe. This spread allows Heatran to survive a Timid Life Orb Hydro Pump from Starmie and easily KO back with Hidden Power Grass off of its –2 Special Defense from Metal Sound. Heatran also withstands a Hydro Pump from offensive Suicune and OHKOes it with Hidden Power Grass after Stealth Rock damage and sandstorm in play. He can also outspeed CroCune and 2HKO it. Furthermore, this spread is fast enough to outrun max Speed Adamant Scizor and most Magnezone. Although the suggested spread provides a decent amount of bulk for mid-game survivability, there are other options that can be used. You could opt to use 224 Speed EVs to outspeed defensive Zapdos, defensive Celebi, non-Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and neutral-nature 36 Speed Jirachi; however, you could opt for more bulk and simply settle for outrunning CroCune, which would require a mere investment of 80 Speed EVs.</p>

<p>Since Heatran appreciates the use of lures to bring in Pokemon whom he can set up on, that should be taken into account when using Metal Sound Heatran. Jirachi is a great lure for Rotom-A, allowing Heatran to come in without much worry and gain a potential Flash Fire Boost from Will-O-Wisp or, in Rotom-H's case, Overheat. Another great teammate to use is Gengar, who can lure in Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor. Entry hazard support is also strongly recommended as it helps Heatran score the needed KOs that he otherwise could not achieve, such as against Dragonite. Metal Sound also tends to force switches, racking up entry hazard damage on the opponent. Swampert makes a great Stealth Rock supporter with his overall bulk, and he also lures in Grass-types, such as Celebi, Heatran can take advantage of. Skarmory is one of the most reliable Spikes users in the OU metagame, making him a prime candidate for setting them up. He also attracts Fire-type attacks and Rotom-A, whom Heatran can switch into without much fear.</p>
Cool stuff.

Grammar-Prose Edit 2/2:
remove anything in red
add/keep anything in blue
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>After taking a Metal Sound, even Pokémon who resist Fire Blast will take huge amounts of damage. Earth Power and Hidden Power Grass are used for type coverage. The former hits Tyranitar and opposing Heatran, while the latter hits Water-types who constantly shut down Heatran. (It should be noted that the majority of Tyranitar hold Choice Scarf, so take caution if you decide to stay in and go for the kill). In OU, only Salamence and Dragonite resist this combination of moves; however, if you are able to hit them with Fire Blast after a Metal Sound, they are in for a deadly surprise.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Below are several damage calculations demonstrating the power Timid Heatran's Life Orb-boosted attacks have against threatening opponents hit by Metal Sound.</p>

</ul>

<p>The strategy to using this set effectively is to switch Heatran in on a Pokémon whom he can threaten instantly, such as Rotom-A or Jirachi, and use Metal Sound while your opponent switches out. Once that has been accomplished, proceed to hit the switch-in with the most appropriate attack.</p>

<p>Although Heatran can hit hard after using Metal Sound, he usually will not obtain the KO, as some of his common counters, such as Starmie and offensive Suicune, will outspeed and threaten him. In order to remedy this situation, Heatran can use a Passho Berry so he can withstand a Water-type attack before securing the KO. Dropping some of his Speed EVs for HP EVs gives him enough bulk to withstand these Water-type attacks; an ideal spread to use with this Heatran would be Modest and 88 HP / 252 SpA / 168 Spe. This spread allows Heatran to survive a Timid Life Orb Hydro Pump from Starmie and easily KO back with Hidden Power Grass off of its –2 Special Defense from Metal Sound. Heatran also withstands a Hydro Pump from offensive Suicune and OHKOes it with Hidden Power Grass after Stealth Rock damage and sandstorm in play. He can also outspeed CroCune and 2HKO it. Furthermore, this spread is fast enough to outrun max Speed Adamant Scizor and most Magnezone. Although the suggested spread provides a decent amount of bulk for mid-game survivability, there are other options that can be used. You could opt to use 224 Speed EVs to outspeed defensive Zapdos, defensive Celebi, non-Choice Scarf Tyranitar, and neutral-nature 36 Speed Jirachi; however, you could opt for more bulk and simply settle for outrunning CroCune, which would require a mere investment of 80 Speed EVs.</p>

<p>Since Heatran appreciates the use of lures to bring in Pokemon whom he can set up on, that should be taken into account when using this set Metal Sound Heatran. Jirachi is a great lure for Rotom-A, allowing Heatran to come in without much worry and gain a potential Flash Fire Boost from Will-O-Wisp or, in Rotom-H's case, Overheat. Another great teammate to use is Gengar, who can lure in Choice Scarf Jirachi and Choice Band Scizor. Entry hazard support is also strongly recommended as it helps Heatran score the needed KOs that he otherwise could not achieve, such as against Dragonite. Metal Sound also tends to force switches, racking up entry hazard damage on the opponent. Swampert makes a great Stealth Rock supporter with his overall bulk, and he also lures in Grass-types, such as Celebi, which Heatran can take advantage of. Skarmory is one of the most reliable Spikes users in the OU metagame, making him a prime candidate for setting them up. He also attracts Fire-type attacks and Rotom-A, whom Heatran can switch into without much fear.</p>

I removed some of Fuzznip's comments in brackets, which you forgot to take out. Nice job on the write-up! Now that you have the required two GP checks, this should be ready for uploading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)