• The moderators of this forum are the PS! staff.
  • Welcome to Smogon! Take a moment to read the Introduction to Smogon for a run-down on everything Smogon.

Metronome Battles

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Live Chat Contributor
As nice as it is to roll Normal STAB reliably via Metronome, Ghost types are very common and arguably one of the best defensively with Steel's absence.

Magic guard is a not bad ability. Passive damage is a real killer, basically guarantees your eventual death. Every time I get fire spinned for 50% I wish I have it, but on the other hand it's likely you can go a whole game without it mattering. Life Orb does make it more of an active effect though.

Normal does only have one type that it's weak to, but it also doesn't have many resists either, with just the one ghost immunity. Something to consider.

Another way to take advantage of the many Normal moves + take care of ghosts, is with the -ate abilities. They weren't great in the steel ages, basically being a sidegrade to Tinted Lens, but nowadays the tables have turned. Tinted Lens has much less resists to hit, and ghosts are more common than ever. Also Scrappy could work too, though it's more specific to busting ghosts.

This is a meme team that aims to stack a lot of boosts for a good chance to nuke something with Pixilate. Fairy hits Marshadow, Sableye, and dragons (Mega Ampharos) super effectively. It doesn't do so fine against some common poisons like Gengar and Venusaur, but some damage is better than none.

BOOM (Altaria) @ Altarianite
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 128
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Another one (Audino-Mega) @ Bright Powder
Ability: Fairy Aura
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

some Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-933246612 - Does 75% to a mega Ampharos with barrage x3 at +1
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-935302234 - Frustration kills damaged Marshadow
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-936011310 - kills Sableye t1 with 3x Fury Swipes (+1)

I believe sacrificing the item slot on Altaria is worth it, since it lets me Download boost and mega into Pixilate straight from turn 1. It's like having Band or Specs, but without the 2 turn restriction. I put a BrightPowder on Audino just for fun. With healing gone, defensive item choices are limited. There's Lum berry and Mental herb for status guarding, the defensive stat berries, and Focus band/BrightPowder for hax strats.

Last edited:

Jerry the great

formerly Jerry hillenburg
Magic guard is a not bad ability. Passive damage is a real killer, basically guarantees your eventual death. Every time I get fire spinned for 50% I wish I have it, but on the other hand it's likely you can go a whole game without it mattering. Life Orb does make it more of an active effect though.

Normal does only have one type that it's weak to, but it also doesn't have many resists either, with just the one ghost immunity. Something to consider.

Another way to take advantage of the many Normal moves + take care of ghosts, is with the -ate abilities. They weren't great in the steel ages, basically being a sidegrade to Tinted Lens, but nowadays the tables have turned. Tinted Lens has much less resists to hit, and ghosts are more common than ever. Also Scrappy could work too, though it's more specific to busting ghosts.

This is a meme team that aims to stack a lot of boosts for a good chance to nuke something with Pixilate. Fairy hits Marshadow, Sableye, and dragons (Mega Ampharos) super effectively. It doesn't do so fine against some common poisons like Gengar and Venusaur, but some damage is better than none.

BOOM (Altaria) @ Altarianite
Ability: Download
Happiness: 128
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Another one (Audino-Mega) @ Bright Powder
Ability: Fairy Aura
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

some Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-933246612 - Does 75% to a mega Ampharos with barrage x3
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-935302234 - Frustration kills damaged Marshadow

I believe sacrificing the item slot on Altaria is worth it, since it lets me Download boost and mega into Pixilate straight from turn 1. It's like having Band or Specs, but without the 2 turn restriction. I put a BrightPowder on Audino just for fun. With healing gone, defensive item choices are limited. There's Lum berry and Mental herb for status guarding, the defensive stat berries, and Focus band/BrightPowder for hax strats.
Alright, this comment will have two parts to it.

Part one: Agree man. Passive damage or recoil can be very scary in metronome battles. But when you have magic guard, there is no need to worry! And yup, another good thing about normal types is that normally you have 0 clue what their ability is most of the time! So sometimes, you wonder "does that thing have something that can harm my ghosts?" Or "can that thing be semi immune to tricks such as status?" And yeah, that adds on more to Pokestar giant!

Part 2: Yeah, abilities that make an entire type of move while scenario specific, can be very deadly when you do get a move of that type. I mean, doing 75% to Mega Ampharos with barrage is impressive. And bright powder on defensive Pokemon in a format where the move you get is random (aka this format) is honestly awesome.

So with the return of Mets comes the return of me clicking one button hundreds of times and nearly tearing my hair out in sheer pain because NO DON'T EXPLODE!

Having said that... I've decided to mess around with an Ability that it seems nobody's using. Namely, Analytic. It gives you a 30% power boost when moving last, and I must say that I'm impressed.

This team started as a theme team - "Landlubbers" - about three months back. I thought to myself, Mega Camerupt is slow as all hell. And then I thought, eyy, free power boost with Analytic, let's do it!

Originally, I ran Megarupt alongside a Storm Drain Miltank, but Miltank's purpose - to sponge hits - didn't work out all too well. Before I could really fix it, though, Mets went off the ladder.

Now it's back, though, so I dusted off the team and decided to rework it. The first thing was to swap Miltank out for a much bulkier Pokemon - after a few minutes of scrolling through stats, I chose Cresselia, because its 120/120/130 bulk is nothing to laugh at, and it can hit pretty decently, too. As for Cress's item, I didn't really give it too much thought and went for just a Leppa Berry, although I suppose one could toss a Choice Specs, an Expert Belt or even a Weakness Policy on. She runs a Quiet nature to boost her SpAtk to a decent 273 while not compromising her bulk, although you can also go Gentle for a SpDef monster or Bold for more balanced defensive stats.

Another idea, but probably not good for this team - Rattled Cress with WP. I should try it out sometime...

Mega Camerupt originally ran Choice Specs because special attacker what do you expect, but after suffering through too many turns wasted due to Solar Beams/Blades and Shadow Forces (others as well, but those are especially horrible to miss a turn on), I swapped it out for Wise Glasses. You could also go for a Weakness Policy and change Cress's ability to Pixilate for a more damage-oriented team, but, since Cammy has a really bad problem with water, I left it at a more defensive team. After all, I've reasoned that the more hits you can take, the more Mets you can fire off. Cammy's nature is Brave to boost her Attack to almost equal her SpAtk, which I find preferable because it's Metronome and it's random yay! You can also try out Quiet to go full SpAtk or Relaxed/Sassy to bulk up a bit more.

And thus, Heatwaves has been born. With this team, I've won... well, I don't know, I've played maybe 50 battles with it and I've won at least 40, it feels like. But I know it's really sweet.

TL;DR: Analytic Megarupt + Storm Drain Cress = Very Good™

Here's the team as I run it! Again, feel free to swap it up. c:

Slow Burn (Camerupt-Mega) (F) @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metronome

Lunar Dance (Cresselia) @ Leppa Berry
Ability: Storm Drain
Quiet Nature
- Metronome

EDIT: Here's a replay that I particularly enjoyed of the team: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-936300004

Last edited:
I realized I haven't made a good meta post since my rants about bringing back metronome, so here I am again. I have been experimenting with double friend guard recently, as it is a very non-situational ability that can help your team out in almost any situation and can bring unparalleled stability to your team. I figured Guzzlord was the best candidate for the bulky stat-booster archetype that always worked well in metronome, because of its good bulk, decent mixed offenses, and weakness in fighting which lets it easily proc weakness policy. I am also experimenting with Ampharos-mega because it can throw off very strong special attacks and decent physical attacks while having solid typing and bulk.

Here are some replays of friend guard in work:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-932642740
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-932648012
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-932656449

Teams:
Double Friend Guard Guzzlord
Double Friend Guard Ampharos
Good ol' Double Defiant Guzzlord
Sturdy Shedinja - Props to FIametix for the fun idea

Some other potentially good mons are Altaria-mega and Pokestar UFO because of their all-around good stats and amazing typing. Mega Sableye has one of the best type combinations possible but its raw stats are too low, making it a poorer choice than I anticipated. Also, there is no doubt that flower veil Mega Venusaur is a top tier build.

btw let's bring back ranked format please

Last edited:
Sturdy Shedinja - Props to FIametix for the fun idea
This took me like... 40 battles to pull off? XD I went for a Sticky Barb Diglett instead of the Life Orb Black Belt, but, well, here is PoA Sturdinja in action: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-937103158
Half the time, Shedinja ended up dying first. The other half, when PoA kicked in, I got either burned or poisoned or recoilmoved or Shedinja decided "wELL iF iT iSN'T a fINE dAY tO sET uP hAIL!"
So yeah, don't ban this, it's really, REALLY hard to pull off. You're welcome.

So I'm back, and I've tested out Rattled WP Cress. She does not disappoint. I've paired her with a Pixilate Expert Belt Cress and holy cow they are a duo.

Let's not talk too much this time, though - here's the team.

Dark Side (Cresselia) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Rattled
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Light Side (Cresselia) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pixilate
Quiet Nature
- Metronome

And here's a replay: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-936580432

I can't say I care about the format being ranked or not, but at least a ranked ladder would decrease the odds I come across people who I can tell don't understand the format based on their teams.

I'm thankful for the steel ban since now there's more creativity in building than Scizor+Scizor or Scizor+Celesteela, that was way too boring.

Wishiwashi is fun, shame about the HP stat but it's offenses and typing are amazing. I haven't used Pokestar-UFO that much but it's always been used a bit even back in the Spirit/Magearna days so I think it may be worth exploring some more now that there's less competition in teambuilding. (I've used Delta Stream but I guess it could be an Aerialte user as well, but given the amount of Sableyes I've been seeing a fairy with pixilate seems to be the best -ate user right now.)

I can't say I care about the format being ranked or not, but at least a ranked ladder would decrease the odds I come across people who I can tell don't understand the format based on their teams.

I'm thankful for the steel ban since now there's more creativity in building than Scizor+Scizor or Scizor+Celesteela, that was way too boring.

Wishiwashi is fun, shame about the HP stat but it's offenses and typing are amazing. I haven't used Pokestar-UFO that much but it's always been used a bit even back in the Spirit/Magearna days so I think it may be worth exploring some more now that there's less competition in teambuilding. (I've used Delta Stream but I guess it could be an Aerialte user as well, but given the amount of Sableyes I've been seeing a fairy with pixilate seems to be the best -ate user right now.)
First of all, someone finally realizes that a ladder format will be more beneficial :blobuwu:

Secondly, -ate abilities are theoretically better off now with steel type bans, but I found it to be still pretty bad compared to like defiant because it does not proc very often and even if it does, it’s not very rewarding. It makes you better off against ghosts but the rest is meh.

I think flame body/static/poison point might be worth testing but it’s pretty useless against flower veil so idk.

Maybe this gamemode could be renamed to "Magic Bounce".

Played 51 games today and 40/51 (= 78%) players had at least one Pokemon with Magic Bounce.

For me, this was a fun gamemode, which was mostly based on luck. With Magic Bounce, a lot of that 'luck' and 'fun' has been taken away. Lots of surprising and fun attacks get immedeately bounced back. It turned again into a competitive gamemode, where everyone uses the same things over and over again.

Ah well, a ban will never be possible, I guess?

Maybe this gamemode could be renamed to "Magic Bounce".

Played 51 games today and 40/51 (= 78%) players had at least one Pokemon with Magic Bounce.

For me, this was a fun gamemode, which was mostly based on luck. With Magic Bounce, a lot of that 'luck' and 'fun' has been taken away. Lots of surprising and fun attacks get immedeately bounced back. It turned again into a competitive gamemode, where everyone uses the same things over and over again.

Ah well, a ban will never be possible, I guess?
Some abilities are better than others, so some abilities will always be used more than others. If you have a problem with that, go play chess not mons.

Also, It’s super easily countered by defiant/competitive. If the opponent bounces back your debuff, you can gain +2 atk of +2 spa per 1 debuff.

Last edited:
Off the current topic but I think we need to ban Friend Guard. Just taking 25% less damage for the trade off not using any other ability (the most popular ones involving status moves, which only make up around 35% of the move pool) on either Pokemon just seems inherently OP. Think of it akin to TF2's Darwin's Danger Shield before its rework.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)