Format Discussion Metronome Battle

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Welcome to Metronome Battles.

This has been a thing since back in the Shoddy Battle days, where people would use Pokemon with the move metronome to battle and pray the RNG is on their side, so let's bring that back with some small twists here and there.

Keep in mind that this is a 2 vs. 2 format.

So yes, the only thing you need to do is use metronome in battle. That's it.

Rules
This is a Custom Game based format with even fewer restrictions than BH in terms of legality.
Basically, you can use almost any 'mon (yes, even nonstandard Pokemon like CAP, Pokéstar Studio, and Missingno.), as long as:
  • It has a BST of 625 or lower
    • Mega Evolutions count and you can either use them right from the beginning or mega evolve them as long as it still respects the 625 BST rule
      • Ex.: Sableye → Mega Sableye is allowed but Latios → Mega Latios is not, even with mega stone (700 BST)
    • Pokemon that transform mid battle are also included in this rule (you cannot have Power Construct Zygarde, for instance)
  • The Pokemon only has the move Metronome
    • This includes Pokemon that cannot learn the move
    • There should only be 1 slot for metronome and the rest left empty
  • There can be 252 EVs in all stats
Restrictions
Here's what is not allowed:
  • Items:
    • Healing items (Leftovers, Black Sludge, pinch Berries...)
    • Berserk Gene
    • Rocky Helmet
    • Assault Vest
    • Mawilite, Medichamite, Kangaskhanite (they grant banned abilities)
  • Abilities:
    • Healing abilities (Grassy Surge, Poison Heal, Water Absorb, Volt Absorb, Dry Skin, Earth Eater, Rain Dish, Ice Body)
    • Harming abilities (Iron Barbs, Rough Skin, Cursed Body)
    • Cursed Body, Commander, Fur Coat, Gorilla Tactics, Huge Power, Moody, Neutralizing Gas, Parental Bond, Perish Body, Pressure, Pure Power, Sand Stream, Stamina, Wonder Guard
    • Harvest + Jaboca / Rowap Berry
  • Pokemon:
The full banlist can be seen by typing /formathelp metronome on Pokémon Showdown.

FAQ
Why did my metronome fail??
Due to generation 7 and 8 mechanics, one cannot physically use another move while Choice locked into the first. For example, a Choice Band user locked into Metronome calls a two-turn move like Dig: trying to actually use Dig on the next turn results in a failure, because the game expects only another Metronome. Despite this, Choice items are still quite viable.

Are there mashups of this?
You can play some Metronome mashups on the ROM server, such as Doubles Shedinja Only Metronome. These can have their own distinct rulesets that usually tend more towards being cartridge legal. Note that ROM is not officially affiliated with Pokémon Showdown, but its owner, Urkerab, is a respected Smogon community member.

The ladder is dead!!!!
I suggest starting a ladder search and just relaxing for a few moments and doing other things until someone else bored finally also joins the ladder. Although, you can once again turn to ROM. Challenge the Abyssal Bot to a Metronome Battle and it will gladly accept.

I'm bored! Why can't this be unbanned instead?
You can initiate a challenge with any manner of zany custom rules using this guide:
https://github.com/smogon/pokemon-s...a6bdb2f4f2334e38b2d0f8/config/CUSTOM-RULES.md

Type gen9metronomebattle into http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ for replays people have uploaded!

Sample Teams
Click the Pokémon icons to view the importables. These cover an assortment of strategies, typically balanced or offense-oriented.
For gen 9 metronome, don't forget to add a tera type to at least one of your teammates!

Simple Weakness Policy
:glastrier::glastrier:

Extreme Strength
:heracross-mega::heracross-mega:

Balanced Flower Veil
:venusaur-mega::necturna:

Bonk's Stall
:type-null::dusclops:

Classic Mews
:mew::mew:

Imposter (Try it with Pikachu-Starter and Light Balls if you're feeling daring!)
:blissey::blissey:

Offensive Ice team for Inverse rules
:glalie-mega::abomasnow-mega:

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...ortunist-suspect-ongoing.3632075/post-9472070
Statistical analysis of the bulkiness of commonly used Pokémon. Only for the truest of tryhards.

That should be basically it. Now smash that metronome button and go have fun.

Last edited:

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Ah good ol' Metronome battles. Quick question tho; is Harvest + Leppa Berry fine? When me and friends do Metronome battles we use that to prevent boring struggle wars.

we metrollnomin' (Kartana) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Metronome

they hatin' (Heracross-Mega) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Metronome

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
we metrollnomin' (Kartana) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Metronome

they hatin' (Heracross-Mega) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Metronome
You can't use Metronome if you hold an Assault Vest

Ivy

resident enigma
You can't use Metronome if you hold an Assault Vest
That's the whole point of those sets lol. Take advantage of their gargantuan Attack stats with guaranteed Struggles. It's been a meme within the "shitmons" meta for some time.

also Ridaz you straight copied my linked choice lock glitch description and didn't even remove the Linked references!!

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
That's the whole point of those sets lol. Take advantage of their gargantuan Attack stats with guaranteed Struggles. It's been a meme within the "shitmons" meta for some time.

also Ridaz you straight copied my linked choice lock glitch description and didn't even remove the Linked references!!
252+ Atk Hustle Kartana Struggle vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Slowbro-Mega: 60-71 (15.2 - 18%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ Atk Hustle Heracross-Mega Struggle vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Scizor-Mega: 73-87 (21.2 - 25.2%) -- 0.1% chance to 4HKO

Both of these are pretty good in this meta but I can't say it's the worst strategy I've seen. The question is if this should even be a strategy in the first place.

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
kill me used Skull Bash!
But there was no PP left for the move!
(This is not a bug, this is really how it works on the 3DS; try it yourself if you don't believe us.)
I was more referring to how it repeated three times when other 2-turn attacks don’t do that and reset to Metronome after.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Stuff you should keep in mind:
Due to a change in generation 7 mechanics, one cannot physically use another move while Choice locked into the first. For example, a Choice Band user locked into Metronome calls a two-turn move like Dig: trying to actually use Dig on the next turn results in a failure, because the game expects only another Metronome. So, for simplicity's sake, Choice items disable the linking mechanic.
Then again, what happened here was more severe than that

Ivy

resident enigma
Fun team I've been using. a slight twist on the classic Mews, as they are instead Manaphy.
50% WEED (Manaphy) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Defiant
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Metronome

50% SEA (Manaphy) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Competitive
Modest Nature
- Metronome

Defiant, Competitive, and Weakness Policy really stack up boosts a lot of the time.

also with every post in this thread I'm gonna keep calling out ridaz for copying my Linked text verbatim!

gengarr (Gengar-Mega) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Metronome

chanseyy (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Chanseys weak af but tanks everything, so how do we do damage with it? Poison/Burn ticks of course.

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
What’s with all the complex bans? Can you just put a list of all banned abilities and avoid unessacary complex bans. Like does honedge and dryskin + drizzle really need banned. Why are some weathers banned and others not. Also you have banned raindish twice.

Ivy

resident enigma
Two things.
1. So, any Pokémon can have any non-banned ability?
2. Are CAP Pokémon legal?
Yes and yes.
What’s with all the complex bans? Can you just put a list of all banned abilities and avoid unessacary complex bans. Like does honedge and dryskin + drizzle really need banned. Why are some weathers banned and others not. Also you have banned raindish twice.
Agree, Dry Skin should just be banned entirely. Admittedly Honedge would probably not be overpowered on its own but it's easier to just group it in with all Steel/Ghost-types. Weathers that deal consistent damage every turn i.e. sand are against the spirit of the meta. Primordial Sea and Desolate Land, while they don't deal passive damage, were ruled too OP due to the ability to nullify Fire or Water attacks entirely.
The one valid complex ban I can see is Sturdinja, but even that will die to a stray Clamp, poison, Struggle, etc.

Jrsmash9

jrsmash that timer
Yes and yes.

Agree, Dry Skin should just be banned entirely. Admittedly Honedge would probably not be overpowered on its own but it's easier to just group it in with all Steel/Ghost-types. Weathers that deal consistent damage every turn i.e. sand are against the spirit of the meta. Primordial Sea and Desolate Land, while they don't deal passive damage, were ruled too OP due to the ability to nullify Fire or Water attacks entirely.
The one valid complex ban I can see is Sturdinja, but even that will die to a stray Clamp, poison, Struggle, etc.
Is there an even valid reason to ban healing abilities? Desolate and Primordial are the same as flash fire and storm drain except they benefit everyone on the field.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)