Format Discussion Metronome Battle

I'm not convinced Mega Mawile getting Huge Power is a problem. Yes, it gets Huge Power, but it practically has to go itemless to do it, so you can accomplish similar things by sticking a Choice Band on anything with a good attack stat. I've put one on Kartana and it seems pretty effective -- especially if you start Struggling somehow, since Kartana will usually deal out more damage than it takes in recoil.

Last edited:
Having a lot of fun on this ladder, lol. Here's what I've been using.

These hips (Magearna-Original) @ BrightPowder
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Metronome

don't lie (Magearna-Original) @ BrightPowder
Timid Nature
- Metronome

Attachments

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Cool fact: Any mon goes, including the Pokestar props from gen 5. Those include some neat, well-balanced Steel, Fighting, Normal, etc. 100/100/100/100/100/100 mons, something you wouldn't find in BH.

Worth noting that Berserk Gene is usable in this meta. My opponent started off with a Scizor having a 2x attack boost and Own Tempo procced later in the battle. This is fairly important for this meta if it is in fact intended to be allowed, and I can see it confusing people because the item doesn't visibly activate in any way.

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Normal Mawile @ Mawilite circumvents the Huge Power restriction. Is that intended?
Nope. Like I said before, those abilities are banned. I made a commit banning them. Hopefully it gets merged soon.

Also, removed the nickname clause

Strong (Kartana) @ Berserk Gene
Ability: Simple
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Stronger (Kartana) @ Berserk Gene
Ability: Simple
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Start out at 1521 attack...

Topped the ladder with this:

Magearna (some ball thing) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Competitive (useful for anti-Intimidate as well as the shit ton of random stat drops that happen in this meta)
Nature: Modest

Kartana (One (1) pointy boi) @ Berserk Gene
Ability: Own Tempo (I tried Defiant with a Choice Band and it works pretty well for essentially the same reasons as Competitive, but not getting screwed by two-turn moves is nice and I prefer the more immediate power. If Berserk Gene gets removed, I'll probably go back to Banded Defiant. Also note that Misty Surge does NOT work for this, because the Gene always activates before Misty Surge does even if .)
Nature: Adamant

In theory I should probably use speed reducing natures, but Magearna and Kartana both hit like wet paper towels with their "off" attack stat unless you have a ton of boosts, and both mons are common enough that speed ties are a relevant concern. Kartana does sometimes just die to a special fire or fighting move, but that's outweighed by how many times it rolls a powerful physical move and just wrecks the opponent, and it's pretty resilient on the physical side. Immunity to powder moves is nice too.

It's an item that automatically Swaggers yourself as soon you show up in battle for the first time, then gets consumed. Hence it would be the ultimate item to pair with Unburden, at least if you didn't mind being confused, except for the fact that it was GSC only and was never implemented in any game that had abilities.

I honestly don't understand why it takes place in Doubles, won't that add more random elements to the mix as Metronome randomly targets a Pokemon there?

I feel like passive healing items such as Leftovers and Black Sludge should be fine, there's still a chance of being double targetted. Still, I think healing berries should stay banned in Metronome battles though.

Also, I don't see why Aegislash should remain banned. Sure, it has a great type combination, but once it attacks, it's stuck with the frail blade forme unless it miraculous pulled a King's Shield from Metronome.

PA

Purgatory.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The pokestar studio mons literally give me cancer when ever i click metronome battle jesus christ i think i threw my phone about 3 times because i was so shook oml apart from my life stories after looking at the meta and laddering for a bit double magearna is something i feel is really good due to the fact that it has rarely any weaknesses plus any of those weaknesses you can somewhat stop with levitate/Flash Fire although that Pokestar Spirit is looking good due to how it has only fairy as its weakness and knowing peoples luck your not gonna get it but testing it through and through and still it cant take hits as well as i thought it would considering it has a bst 600 but eh probably my imagination owo

Raidx

Banned deucer.
is it plausible to remove Taunt and Imprison from Metronome rolls? It's p lame when they roll an Imprison and you can't anything except forfeit.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
I honestly don't understand why it takes place in Doubles, won't that add more random elements to the mix as Metronome randomly targets a Pokemon there?
I feel like passive healing items such as Leftovers and Black Sludge should be fine, there's still a chance of being double targetted. Still, I think healing berries should stay banned in Metronome battles though.

Also, I don't see why Aegislash should remain banned. Sure, it has a great type combination, but once it attacks, it's stuck with the frail blade forme unless it miraculous pulled a King's Shield from Metronome.
Both of these are how it's been for years, so I don't really see any reason to change 'em; they're pretty traditional to its precursor, Shitmons.

Nobody would put Stance Change on Aegislash by all likelihood, so it would stay in the defensive powerhouse that is shield forme.

is it plausible to remove Taunt and Imprison from Metronome rolls? It's p lame when they roll an Imprison and you can't anything except forfeit.
That would require a really complex mod/ban, so no. There's something strangely poignant about having a nice auto-lose condition in Imprison - and in the rare instance that you surmount it with sheer power of Struggling, it's all the more satisfying. Also, if you really hate Taunt, Disable, and Torment, those can be blocked with Magic Bounce.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
I still find it completely ridiculous since it's literally an auto-win. Even if the chances are low, it still happens and you're forced to quit because of it unless they have like 1 mon in range of Struggle. If coding Metronome to not call Imprison isn't feasible then that's fair, though unfortunate.

I'm also totally supporting a ban/removal of Imprison. Unlike other "bad rolls" such as taunt from the opponent or Explosion/Self-Destruct/Mememto it basicially is a guaranteed win; when you roll Explosion on one of your mons, you still have a good chance of winning, since you have a chance of getting good Metronome rolls with the remaining mon and a taunted mon will survive its two to three struggles if it's somewhat healthy.

In Turn 5, Scizor used Mind Blown, hit the opposing Celesteela for damage, but didn't suffer recoil damage. Scizor's ability was Flash Fire, not Magic Guard and both Mist and Magic Room were active at that time. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-731112298
Had the same happen a few times. I think Mind Blown just doesn’t trigger the recoil at all when called by Metronome. Unsure if this is a bug.

Are we sure Metronome is even supposed to be able to roll USUM-specific moves? Usually moves added mid-gen aren’t put on the Metronome list for compatibility reasons.

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Queen Latifah (Pokestar Spirit) (F) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Metronome

Post Malone (Pokestar MT2) @ Choice Band
Ability: Levitate
Adamant Nature
- Metronome

So as far as laddering goes, managed to reach 2nd with the above team, which looks nearly identical to most successful teams I've seen on the ladder thus far. From what I've seen, a good balance to increase your odds of winning the most comes from a Ghost or Dark type like Pokestar Spirit, Sableye Mega, paired with a Steel type like Magearna or Kartana. Teams with two Dark/Ghost types are often successful as well, as there are so many potential Normal/Fighting rolls with Metronome.

Really enjoying the return of this format! Cheers for bringing it back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)