Format Discussion Metronome Battle

Is there a list of the moves in the metronome pool? If there is, If not, could someone make one that can be organized by type, power, category, and accuracy so that a VR for metronome battle can be made?

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Is there a list of the moves in the metronome pool? If there is, If not, could someone make one that can be organized by type, power, category, and accuracy so that a VR for metronome battle can be made?
All moves except ['afteryou', 'assist', 'banefulbunker', 'beakblast', 'belch', 'bestow', 'celebrate', 'chatter', 'copycat', 'counter', 'covet', 'craftyshield', 'destinybond', 'detect', 'diamondstorm', 'dragonascent', 'endure', 'feint', 'fleurcannon', 'focuspunch', 'followme', 'freezeshock', 'helpinghand', 'holdhands', 'hyperspacefury', 'hyperspacehole', 'iceburn', 'instruct', 'kingsshield', 'lightofruin', 'matblock', 'mefirst', 'metronome', 'mimic', 'mindblown', 'mirrorcoat', 'mirrormove', 'naturepower', 'originpulse', 'photongeyser', 'plasmafists', 'precipiceblades', 'protect', 'quash', 'quickguard', 'ragepowder', 'relicsong', 'secretsword', 'shelltrap', 'sketch', 'sleeptalk', 'snarl', 'snatch', 'snore', 'spectralthief', 'spikyshield', 'spotlight', 'steameruption', 'struggle', 'switcheroo', 'technoblast', 'thief', 'thousandarrows', 'thousandwaves', 'transform', 'trick', 'vcreate', 'wideguard'], Z moves, and custom moves (ex CAP moves). Though since what moves are picked are random, I don't see what a VR would do.

Can they also remove moves like sucker punch and dark void that always or almost always fail? It's annoying to get RNGed one of those moves.

All moves except ['afteryou', 'assist', 'banefulbunker', 'beakblast', 'belch', 'bestow', 'celebrate', 'chatter', 'copycat', 'counter', 'covet', 'craftyshield', 'destinybond', 'detect', 'diamondstorm', 'dragonascent', 'endure', 'feint', 'fleurcannon', 'focuspunch', 'followme', 'freezeshock', 'helpinghand', 'holdhands', 'hyperspacefury', 'hyperspacehole', 'iceburn', 'instruct', 'kingsshield', 'lightofruin', 'matblock', 'mefirst', 'metronome', 'mimic', 'mindblown', 'mirrorcoat', 'mirrormove', 'naturepower', 'originpulse', 'photongeyser', 'plasmafists', 'precipiceblades', 'protect', 'quash', 'quickguard', 'ragepowder', 'relicsong', 'secretsword', 'shelltrap', 'sketch', 'sleeptalk', 'snarl', 'snatch', 'snore', 'spectralthief', 'spikyshield', 'spotlight', 'steameruption', 'struggle', 'switcheroo', 'technoblast', 'thief', 'thousandarrows', 'thousandwaves', 'transform', 'trick', 'vcreate', 'wideguard'], Z moves, and custom moves (ex CAP moves). Though since what moves are picked are random, I don't see what a VR would do.
It would be based on chance for a move to go off.
There are tons of normal moves, making a certain spirit good, but there are few attacking fairy moves, making that spirit even better. He is used so much because chance favors it.

Heya, long time lurker, first time poster here. Just started playing this meta and I'm having a blast with it so far. I've had my fair share of crazy comebacks, first turn Explosions and Imprisons; it's pretty great.

I gotta say though, sometimes it can get a little boring seeing Celesteela, M-Scizor and Pokestar-Spirit around every corner. Not that there aren't ways to deal with them, but having to deal with 2 Magic Bounce Lum Berry Pokestar-Spirits kinda sucks the fun out it. I use weird hipster 'mons so maybe I'm just bad :smogthink:

Also, maybe it's just me but I think Imposter is a little too stupid for this meta. A lot of Metronome battles come down to the war of attrition, but when you're dealing with something like double Imposter Blissey, I feel like the battle sways too heavily in your opponent's favor since they have your Pokemon's stats and abilities plus a mountain of HP on top of it.

Idk, that's my 2 cents. I'm really enjoying this meta so far, might be the most fun I've had on Showdown haha.

Also, maybe it's just me but I think Imposter is a little too stupid for this meta. A lot of Metronome battles come down to the war of attrition, but when you're dealing with something like double Imposter Blissey, I feel like the battle sways too heavily in your opponent's favor since they have your Pokemon's stats and abilities plus a mountain of HP on top of it.
You pretty much need a Leppa Berry to use Imposter well because of the 5PP limit. Your opponents might have more HP, but they'll be functionally itemless and still only have 10PP, so it's not as big a disadvantage as you'd think.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
I haven't played this format in like 2 months tbh bcus of how quickly it got stale and how overcentralized it became. This is one of the worst cases of overcentralization I've seen. The only mons you really ever see are PokeSpirit, Celesteela and M-Scizor, with random other mons sprinkled in occasionally. Assuming nothing' schanged since my last time playing this, I see no reason for me to continue playing this format sadly. Didn't wanna make a negative post but man, when 80% of the ladder uses a variation of the same 3 mons, it just gets extremely repetitive and takes away the fun.

So the May 2018 stats have been released, but this time around there's no data on Metronome battles to be found, unlike last month. Unfortunate but I guess there wasn't really much importance in recording those stats so they probably excluded it. Still, I'd like to see what people are using, though I guess there wouldn't be many surprises by now.

Last edited:
So the May 2018 stats have been released, but this time around there's no data on Metronome battles to be found, unlike last month. Unfortunate but I guess there wasn't really much importance in recording those stats so they probably excluded it. Still, I'd like to see what people are using, though I guess there wouldn't be many surprises by now.
UwU (Necturna) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Flower Veil
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metronome

OwO (Shaymin-Sky) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Tinted Lens
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Metronome

Here's the shitty team I use. I really love using Necturna. Decent typing, good bulk good attacking stats. I ran various mons along side her and eventually settled with Skymin so I could use Flower Veil (formerly Magic Bounce).

The meta is still dominated by Pokestar-Spirit and Steel types, and unfortunately I don't think this meta is really popular enough to warrant enough attention for big changes. Personally, I would love to see Steels (all of them, but most importantly Celes and M-Sciz) and Pokestar-Spirit gone, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Finally, thank god. Now we can ban Steels maybe have a little more variety on the ladder. Since people are no longer forced to run Pixilate or Scrappy to have a better shot of dealing with it, I'm wondering if we'll see some more offensive abilities being used.

Edit: Also when is this taking effect cuz I'm still running into it on the ladder.

Last edited:

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Now that stupid spirit is banned, I'd like to post my overall favorite team in this format. This team has been pretty successful (constantly keeps me bewteen the mid 1300s to early-mid 1400s) even before the spirit ban, and now it'll most likely fair even better. Delta Stream Zapdos supports Moltres by removing it's Electric weakness while removing all of Zapdos's weaknesses entirely, while Turboblaze Moltres doesn't care about things like Flash Fire and Magic Bounce which is great. Despite one of Moltres's weaknesses are nullified by Delta Stream, Weakness Policy is still very effective since it keeps it's Water and Rock (2x instead of 4x) weaknesses, which paired with Moltres's high SpA and fairly decent Atk, makes it a potential threat after the boost. Zapdos can run a few items; I've alternated between Power items (halves Zap's speed so that it's almost guaranteed to move last in the event of Perish Song), Lum Berry and Choice Specs, with Specs being my most preferred due to the sheer power it's Special moves gain if called upon. Anyways, here's the team and if you decide to use it I hope you enjoy :)

Zapdos @ Choice Specs
Ability: Delta Stream
Quiet Nature
- Metronome

Moltres @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Turboblaze
Quiet Nature
- Metronome

Apparently steels crumble before Tinted Lens; although Magic Bounce Pokestar Spirit was very good, Tinted Lens Pokestar Spirit outperformed it against Steel types in my somewhat unscientific automated testing.
Yeah, that's why I run it on my Shaymin-Sky, it's just so good, especially when you land a strong resisted STAB move.

I've tried a few other offensive abilities like Download and Aerilate, but always find myself coming back to Tinted Lens.

Yeah, that's why I run it on my Shaymin-Sky, it's just so good, especially when you land a strong resisted STAB move.

I've tried a few other offensive abilities like Download and Aerilate, but always find myself coming back to Tinted Lens.
I can attest to Tinted Lens being nice, I mostly ran it in the Magearna era with great success (Solarbeam was always a blast to use), but recently I've been going back to Simple with my Flower Veil team for some consistent obscene boosts with the current state of the meta having been mostly mons with low resists to take advantage of (Spirits, vanilla (Snorlax/Sableye)). Though with Spirit gone now it's going to be a more viable choice again with more steels hopefully replacing it.

Last edited:
I also have pretty good results with technician on Celesteela or Scizor-Mega. There are so many low-bp moves, and technician helps by boosting them all. As a great side effect, struggle gets boosted too, giving you much better chances to win against an early imprison.

I've noticed that I've never seen Metal Burst called via Metronome do anything, even when you get hit by both opponents. If it's in the callable move list I figure it would be usable, so maybe it's a mistake or has something to do with Metronome attacks. Would be hard to test for sure though.

Also there's a bot on the ladder now called "The Cuck". Surprised one didn't show up earlier with how simple this is. It uses Sap Sipper Swampert/Gastrodon with Choice items.

Had a few matches against it, and I just managed to pull off a successful Sucker Punch use via Outrage lock so that was cool. Turns out it's not completely useless in this meta after all. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7metronomebattle-773917459

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
If it's in the callable move list I figure it would be usable, so maybe it's a mistake or has something to do with Metronome attacks.
Not necessarily, for example dark void can be called but will fail if the user is not a darkrai. Metal Burst will fail if the user has not been hit by an attack previously.

Raidx

Banned deucer.
Not necessarily, for example dark void can be called but will fail if the user is not a darkrai. Metal Burst will fail if the user has not been hit by an attack previously.
Even if you were hit by an attack, Metal Burst will still fail. I've witnessed it a bunch of times and wondered why that is

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)