Format Discussion Metronome Battle

So basically there's a bunch of new stuff, but it doesn't have what is objectively the best type in this meta.

I tried this again today, and it seems like 2x Weakness Policy Defiant Melmetal is still clearly the best team to the extent that nothing else (except maybe changing the ability slot) is worth considering.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
So basically there's a bunch of new stuff, but it doesn't have what is objectively the best type in this meta.
I tried this again today, and it seems like 2x Weakness Policy Defiant Melmetal is still clearly the best team to the extent that nothing else (except maybe changing the ability slot) is worth considering.
Steelix gains a weakness to Water, so it's somewhat better of a weakness policy user than melmetal.

The 1500 dead account zone has caught up to rank 20 now. The high ladder right now is just 3-4 people slaughtering mediocre teams to compete for rank 1, and I found it stupid and pointless so I stopped playing a few weeks ago. The game got boring for me after I ultimately couldn’t find a better option than spamming melmetal/steelix with double defiant (or unaware in counterteaming) and weakness policy. After I realized there is so little room for innovation in this over-centralized meta, I stopped playing. And I would probably not come back until something happens like further increase in BST limit, banning of steels, or of course, gen8.

Thanks for listening to my rant lol. I am just disappointed in how this meta is running.

Steel types never bothered me, ladder going away is fine by me. I think Imposter Blissy Leppa berry is pretty strong as long as they don't flood the meta. Somethings I would like to see get banned are weakness policy, magic bounce, and defiant. Poison immunity is nice, but it's not a guarantee either. I think the item and two abilities I mentioned above are far stronger. Also, sheer force, choice band Mega Haracross is pretty strong too.

Steel types never bothered me, ladder going away is fine by me. I think Imposter Blissy Leppa berry is pretty strong as long as they don't flood the meta. Somethings I would like to see get banned are weakness policy, magic bounce, and defiant. Poison immunity is nice, but it's not a guarantee either. I think the item and two abilities I mentioned above are far stronger. Also, sheer force, choice band Mega Haracross is pretty strong too.
Defiant/Competitive and Weakness policy is the heart of bulky statbooster builds. They are pretty powerful, but by no means broken enough to get banned. Weakness policy is not overcentralizing by any means because a lot of pokemon prefer band/specs for the immediate augmented damage. And of course, there is a hard counter to statboosts called unaware. I believe that Magic Bounce is not actually that broken because defiant/competitive teams can punish it hard by bouncing off debuffs to themselves and gaining power boosts. Imposter Blissey is good but it matches up poorly against things like simple weakness policy.

I am expecting Aerilate and Pixilate to become more viable because Steel types no longer wall them off, and it would benefit against ghost types, which would probably appear more often since it is a great type in metronome. Aerilate matches up well against Mega Venusaur which is a solid bulky statbooster and Pixilate matches up well against Mega Sableye. Refrigerate is good but Ice is a terrible defensive typing. Not a big fan of Galvanize because Ground types will just negate it completely. These are some teams that I theorycrafted.

Aerilate:
https://pokepast.es/788b1af71145b1d8Delta Stream on Dragonite because both mons benefit greatly from it and it mitigates their crippling 4x weaknesses.

Pixilate:
https://pokepast.es/8f41102e191c482fChoice Band is the item for the Mega Altarias because most normal type attacks are Physical and it would be hard to proc weakness policy because of their great typing.

Pixilate+Fairy Aura:
https://pokepast.es/c5ae96c0ceb84364Probably not optimal but I just wanna see how much damage a banded pixilate + fairy aura boosted mega kick can do

Last edited:
Defiant/Competitive and Weakness policy is the heart of bulky statbooster builds. They are pretty powerful, but by no means broken enough to get banned. Weakness policy is not overcentralizing by any means because a lot of pokemon prefer band/specs for the immediate augmented damage. And of course, there is a hard counter to statboosts called unaware. I believe that Magic Bounce is not actually that broken because defiant/competitive teams can punish it hard by bouncing off debuffs to themselves and gaining power boosts. Imposter Blissey is good but it matches up poorly against things like simple weakness policy.

I am expecting Aerilate and Pixilate to become more viable because Steel types no longer wall them off, and it would benefit against ghost types, which would probably appear more often since it is a great type in metronome. Aerilate matches up well against Mega Venusaur which is a solid bulky statbooster and Pixilate matches up well against Mega Sableye. Refrigerate is good but Ice is a terrible defensive typing. Not a big fan of Galvanize because Ground types will just negate it completely. These are some teams that I theorycrafted.

Aerilate:
https://pokepast.es/788b1af71145b1d8Delta Stream on Dragonite because both mons benefit greatly from it and it mitigates their crippling 4x weaknesses.

Pixilate:
https://pokepast.es/8f41102e191c482fChoice Band is the item for the Mega Altarias because most normal type attacks are Physical and it would be hard to proc weakness policy because of their great typing.

Pixilate+Fairy Aura:
https://pokepast.es/c5ae96c0ceb84364Probably not optimal but I just wanna see how much damage a banded pixilate + fairy aura boosted mega kick can do
Those are great teams you built there, but I still stand by my opinions. I don't think steel deserved the ban as much as I think it should have been weakness policy/competitive/defiant, but I guess that's just my opinion. I also still think mega heracross's attack stat is the best to run choice band, plus he has decent defensive stats to go with it. On game I got mega heracross up to 1930 attack off just a few stat boosts. Now I wouldn't mind perhaps a better ability, but sheer force has been nice so far.

Speaking of ghost typing, I'm assume that's gonna be the best type to flood the scene with its natural immunity to fighting/normal. Can do with Sableye for physic immunity too, or gengar for poison status immunity too. At any rate tho, I love the format. Nice and casual way to kill some time. Hopefully we will reach the definitive version of the format soon.

I think Imposter Blissy Leppa berry is pretty strong as long as they don't flood the meta.
That basically means you're sacrificing a useful item in exchange for more HP, and plenty of battles go on for long enough that even with a Leppa Berry you'll start struggling to death. Doesn't seem overwhelming to me.

EDIT: Also when is the steel type ban intended to be implemented?

Last edited:
That basically means you're sacrificing a useful item in exchange for more HP, and plenty of battles go on for long enough that even with a Leppa Berry you'll start struggling to death. Doesn't seem overwhelming to me.

EDIT: Also when is the steel type ban intended to be implemented?
Actually, you're odds should on average be better than your opponents if you think about it. 10 pp vs 15 isn't that bad and if they get low struggle is actually a great finisher. You get all their stats, plus the most HP in the game, that's pretty good imo. True, I'd rather have something instead of leppa, but it works for me. Also, what is with imposter giving 5/5 metronome? Wasn't transform supposed to give 5/orginal max? Maybe it's changed in the games and I haven't noticed, but that would make 15 pp with leppa berry if it had 10 pp to restore.

I dunno, everyone's gonna have their own opinions and it is a casual format built on RNG anything could happen. Thanks for your input tho.

The time has come. Metronome battle matchmaking + Steel types are gone. It was a good run, almost made it a year.

April 8 2018: Metronome battle created
April 21 2018: Magearna banned
July 4 2018: Pokestar Spirit banned
March 15 2019: Steel types banned

Is it just me or has Metronome battles been missing the last few days?
It's not just you. The steel type ban update on Friday night also included the decision to remove Metronome battle from the ladder. It's still available for play in tours and challenges, but no more random fights.

As a sidenote, I personally noticed that people were often unaware of thread info in general for a while like maxing out EVs and the 625 BST update.

It's not just you. The steel type ban update on Friday night also included the decision to remove Metronome battle from the ladder. It's still available for play in tours and challenges, but no more random fights.
Why? I understand removing it from rated battles, but random battles could be pretty fun.

Like mentioned above I feel this is a mistake. Random battles need a return or I literally have no use for showdown. It was all I did on here. Removing rating is more than fine, I don't need a rating I just want fun whacky random metronome battles. I found it to be very fun.

Ivy

resident enigma
Like mentioned above I feel this is a mistake. Random battles need a return or I literally have no use for showdown. It was all I did on here. Removing rating is more than fine, I don't need a rating I just want fun whacky random metronome battles. I found it to be very fun.
Hang out in the Random Battles room. Or quit, whatever floats your boat.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
I really miss this metagame and I think the Steel ban helps it a lot. I really urge the community to reconsider having the ladder go back on as I think its a fun way to get away from the uber competitive way of things and just have fun with random opponents instead of solely relying on challenges.

Battle Spot Special 15 is basically Metronome Battle, but 1v1 singles instead of 2v2 doubles (and of course the Pokemon have to be capable of naturally learning Metronome). Maybe you can find your fix there.

Last edited:
I really miss this metagame and I think the Steel ban helps it a lot. I really urge the community to reconsider having the ladder go back on as I think its a fun way to get away from the uber competitive way of things and just have fun with random opponents instead of solely relying on challenges.
Same, I hoped to see the meta revitalized after steel bans and I wanted to see what kinds of new builds people would use on ladder, but on the same patch, the meta was removed from ladder. As you said, there is a difference between having fun with random opponents rather than only playing through challenges. I can't really explain why, but it is just more fun to play the meta on a ladder. Maybe because there is less incentive to play the game now. Several people I used to spam metronome with on ladder sorta quit playing metronome altogether and that is sad because I can feel that the small community we had got disbanded after the meta was removed.

Please bring back metronome ladder it's so much better without Steels, it doesn't have to be rated but without a ladder this place will fade into obscurity... Battling with randoms is way better than finding someone else who likes metronome, plus the Random Battles room doesn't even really care for metronome.

Ivy

resident enigma
Please bring back metronome ladder it's so much better without Steels, it doesn't have to be rated but without a ladder this place will fade into obscurity... Battling with randoms is way better than finding someone else who likes metronome, plus the Random Battles room doesn't even really care for metronome.
Battle Spot Special 15 has a temporary ladder :) A modest consolation...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)