Format Discussion Metronome Battle

After seeing vermillionbedsheet talk about shaymin-sky, i threw this together, and it honestly isn't terrible so far.

Shaymin-Sky @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metronome

Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Metronome

Delta Stream helps out shaymin-sky a ton, with very little weakness, along with the flower veil boost, and just overall bulk, its actually pretty good. Of course, I've only been playing metro battles competitively for a few months, (before i was using dual snom, got 2 wins btw), so maybe it isn't, but I haven't plummeted in ELO yet.

Also, we should get our own chatroom for metro battles on the showdown server, so we no longer have to chat about strats on the forums.
EDIT: changed EV's a little bit
EDIT2: My peak ELO after a grind today was 1433, then i hit a losing streak.

Last edited:
After seeing vermillionbedsheet talk about shaymin-sky, i threw this together, and it honestly isn't terrible so far.

Hasty Nature
- Metronome

Ability: Flower Veil
Hasty Nature
- Metronome
Delta Stream helps out shaymin-sky a ton, with very little weakness, along with the flower veil boost, and just overall bulk, its actually pretty good. Of course, I've only been playing metro battles competitively for a few months, (before i was using dual snom, got 2 wins btw), so maybe it isn't, but I haven't plummeted in ELO yet.

Also, we should get our own chatroom for metro battles on the showdown server, so we no longer have to chat about strats on the forums.
I really like those, probably gonna yoink them at some point. Although I still prefer using Mega-Venusaur since it's nice to have one "slow" Pokemon with a faster one just in case of Perish Song shenanigans. It's very fun when Mega-Venusaur manages to underspeed mons because people forget to have min Speed on slow mons

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
Hi! Metronome battles discussion is usually redirected from other rooms to the Random Battles Room. There we talk about Metronome battles in a more casual way than how its done here, so we'd love the Metronome community to hang around more! We have Metronome tours fairly commonly there that spark discussion on the format, so your experience, comments, and participation on the chat in general will be great for everyone! Ngl I read this thread periodically and I have a lot of fun, so itd be great being able to discuss this stuff with all of you and learn more! (sadly having yall on the room will also mean that i wont be able to win the metro tours with a Blissey team anymore)

bonk I've decided to try out this metagame, hopefully your team can get me to at least T500(which it probably can) just like in shared power,(i'm too lazy to learn how to make teams), just wanted to thank you for the team and I guess clarify, I assume null is also friend guard(like I said i'm new to the metagame) is it?

Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 9.43.34 PM.png

It's super low, and all, but this is just a step for me hopefully going higher.
Sorry to all the people who got taunted, poisoned, or had their pokemon explode.

Screenshot 2020-11-02 at 9.54.57 PM.png

Top 200, hopefully grinding will bring me even higher.

Last edited:
bonk I've decided to try out this metagame, hopefully your team can get me to at least T500(which it probably can) just like in shared power,(i'm too lazy to learn how to make teams), just wanted to thank you for the team and I guess clarify, I assume null is also friend guard(like I said i'm new to the metagame) is it?

View attachment 287791
It's super low, and all, but this is just a step for me hopefully going higher.
Sorry to all the people who got taunted, poisoned, or had their pokemon explode.

View attachment 287792
Top 200, hopefully grinding will bring me even higher.
Yes, both are friend guard. I wish you luck on the swings that come with metronome battle laddering! :smogduck:

what are people using at the highest ranks for such high winrates? or is it mostly rng at that point? Ive hit top 50 with a mix of glastreir and eviolite stall. But i cannot seem to get much higher

So, the full stats for October are out too. I won't go too deep, but the top 10 is worth checking again. This leaves some more insight on the meta as a whole, rather than focusing on the DLC hype. Battle count stays about the same at 61687 battles.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2020-10/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2020-10/moveset/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt

Full 1630 Top 10 + last month positions:
#1: Blissey (#7)
#2: Mega Venusaur (no change)
#3: Mega Heracross (#1)
#4: Dusclops (#6)
#5: Necturna (no change)
#6: Mega Banette (#10)
#7: Dragapult (#3)
#8: Mega Sableye (#4)
#9: Mega Gengar (#8)
#10: Type: Null (#25)

Heracross is still knocked down a notch, but this time by the fat egg instead of the newcomer. In particular, Blissey has a raw 22943 usage or 18.5%. That's more than Heracross and Venusaur combined. Thank you metronomer bot, very cool!
Compared to the DLC usage stats, Glastrier only manages #13 here. Still impressive for existing for 9 days. Type: Null rightfully shows up in the top 10 after its immense ladder success.

Anyway, the month of November is still going, and the meta is constantly changing. Will Weakness Policy Shedinja be the future? Worst case, I might resort to Unnerve Ampharos...

Recently TheCoastsofToast and I had a discussion on whether Shedinja was OP or not. I initially dismissed it as bad, but he kept insisting it was broken so I decided to run some tests on my custom server.

(the 'winning benchmark' is 2570/5000 here due to stats reasons)

LumSturdyShed won 2585 / 5000 against FlowerVeilVenu [this took 616.199286699295 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 1554 / 5000 against BonkStall [this took 1294.3809821605682 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2972 / 5000 against BandIntrepidHera [this took 1856.0671620368958 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 3427 / 5000 against LeppaImposterBlissey [this took 2488.5288066864014 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 1958 / 5000 against Sevag PoisonPoint [this took 3315.2328131198883 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2574 / 5000 against WPSimpleVenuGuzz [this took 3988.866086244583 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2589 / 5000 against SpecsCompetitiveAmphy [this took 4619.202019691467 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2925 / 5000 against DesoLandCamerupt [this took 5218.956038236618 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2647 / 5000 against WPIntrepidGlastrier [this took 5793.581259489059 seconds]

holey shite
shed is actually good, toast was right all along

Last edited:
Pokestar UFO @ Choice Band
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Pokestar UFO @ Choice Specs
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Metronome

I made this team based off of a battle with coast of toast... Im looking for suggestions for items and for a replacement ability for mold breaker once sturdinja dies down. Its pretty fun cause no weaknesses and the pokestars are pretty fat. Toast was running aerialate but I think that something like poison touch or maybe friend guard might be better.

Recently TheCoastsofToast and I had a discussion on whether Shedinja was OP or not. I initially dismissed it as bad, but he kept insisting it was broken so I decided to run some tests on my custom server.

(the 'winning benchmark' is 2570/5000 here due to stats reasons)

LumSturdyShed won 2585 / 5000 against FlowerVeilVenu [this took 616.199286699295 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 1554 / 5000 against BonkStall [this took 1294.3809821605682 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2972 / 5000 against BandIntrepidHera [this took 1856.0671620368958 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 3427 / 5000 against LeppaImposterBlissey [this took 2488.5288066864014 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 1958 / 5000 against Sevag PoisonPoint [this took 3315.2328131198883 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2574 / 5000 against WPSimpleVenuGuzz [this took 3988.866086244583 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2589 / 5000 against SpecsCompetitiveAmphy [this took 4619.202019691467 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2925 / 5000 against DesoLandCamerupt [this took 5218.956038236618 seconds]

LumSturdyShed won 2647 / 5000 against WPIntrepidGlastrier [this took 5793.581259489059 seconds]

holey shite
shed is actually good, toast was right all along
Good to see BonkStall "consistently" outlast Sturdinja :psyglad:

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
The iconic Bonk stall has been immortalized in the OP!

Wow, at least these confirm it isn't flat-out busted. I'll have to acquiesce that it's not an unviable strategy at this rate; might put it in the samples as well.

Part of me wants to see if I couldn't fit Turboblaze onto a set just to show Sturdinja players how much I dislike them.

I get that you can't go around banning things because they aren't fun(Smogon would've banned Stall teams back in the Shoddy Battle days if that was the case.), but Sturdinja is easily the least fun thing on the ladder. At least Leppa!Blissey punished you for brainlessly spamming Intrepid Sword, Sturdinja just makes you pray for Skill Swap or Entrainment.

Part of me wants to see if I couldn't fit Turboblaze onto a set just to show Sturdinja players how much I dislike them.

I get that you can't go around banning things because they aren't fun(Smogon would've banned Stall teams back in the Shoddy Battle days if that was the case.), but Sturdinja is easily the least fun thing on the ladder. At least Leppa!Blissey punished you for brainlessly spamming Intrepid Sword, Sturdinja just makes you pray for Skill Swap or Entrainment.
I've seen Sturdinja die to all sorts of ways on the ladder, including status (Lum Berry can stop this once), Sandstorm/Hail (Safety Goggles stops this), its own self-KO moves, and its own recoil moves. Even if you paralyze a Sturdinja, there is hope.

Hi i'm here to agree with TheCoastsOfToast that Sturdy Shedinja is indeed unhealthy and should be banned. I think the main argument I see based off of statistics of wins (although fwqef's Shedinja battle odds don't explore one Sturdy Shedinja being paired with another partner and some of the results that can accomplish. Who is to say that running two of them is the optimal strategy?) or speaking on how Shedinja's offenses aren't high enough to allow it to easily get through the opposing two mons ignore the real issue with Sturdy Shed. It is a mon that forces far more rng in metronome battles to an unhealthy level and it shouldn't take a lot of imagination to see how limited the ways of getting past it are.

Looking at this banlist, it seems fairly apparent to me that there is at least some understanding of how unhealthy elements in a metagame should be banned and how there should be a consistent standard for banned elements even if they aren't exhibiting overwhelming winrates (although I think those statistics fwqef showed displaying that you can throw a Lum Sturdy Shed on your team and have odds of over 50% in a large sample size should feel fairly troubling for such a polarizing rng based mon). ALL pinch berries are banned so even if Oran Berry obviously isn't broken and likely wouldn't have a great winrate as an item on teams, it is categorized under an unhealthy element in metronome battles and is thus banned with all the BETTER pinch berries.

I'm not sure what would convince the leadership that this needs to go considering they haven't given any kind of reasoning other than "it isn't that good" or "I haven't seen any forum posts on this just discord complaints" and similarly general statements that are absolutely no help to anyone. Maybe if it had a higher winrate but that's a subjective slippery slope because who's to decide what the winrate for something broken or unhealthy must be before it is banned and that doesn't do a very good job of addressing how polarizing and frustrating Shedinja can be on an individual level where you simply cannot roll a move to hit it considering almost NOTHING can hit it and its item makes it even harder to get past.

To compare, Moody Remoraid and Snorunt aren't banned in standard metagames because they win an overwhelming amount of the time, they are banned because they add unhealthy overwhelmingly rng-based elements and minimize player skill. Although metronome battles is certainly meant to be an rng-based metagame, this thread is evidence that there are still skill to be found when building a team that has the highest odds to consistently perform despite that rng. I believe Sturdy Shedinja throws much of that out of the window and compresses games into a tiny window of useable moves that are able to get past its overwhelming immunities.

Last edited:
Hi i'm here to agree with TheCoastsOfToast that Sturdy Shedinja is indeed unhealthy and should be banned. I think the main argument I see based off of statistics of wins (although fwqef's Shedinja battle odds don't explore one Sturdy Shedinja being paired with another partner and some of the results that can accomplish. Who is to say that running two of them is the optimal strategy?) or speaking on how Shedinja's offenses aren't high enough to allow it to easily get through the opposing two mons ignore the real issue with Sturdy Shed. It is a mon that forces far more rng in metronome battles to an unhealthy level and it shouldn't take a lot of imagination to see how limited the ways of getting past it are.

Looking at this banlist, it seems fairly apparent to me that there is at least some understanding of how unhealthy elements in a metagame should be banned and how there should be a consistent standard for banned elements even if they aren't exhibiting overwhelming winrates (although I think those statistics fwqef showed displaying that you can throw a Lum Sturdy Shed on your team and have odds of over 50% in a large sample size should feel fairly troubling for such a polarizing rng based mon). ALL pinch berries are banned so even if Oran Berry obviously isn't broken and likely wouldn't have a great winrate as an item on teams, it is categorized under an unhealthy element in metronome battles and is thus banned with all the BETTER pinch berries.

I'm not sure what would convince the leadership that this needs to go considering they haven't given any kind of reasoning other than "it isn't that good" or "I haven't seen any forum posts on this just discord complaints" and similarly general statements that are absolutely no help to anyone. Maybe if it had a higher winrate but that's a subjective slippery slope because who's to decide what the winrate for something broken or unhealthy must be before it is banned and that doesn't do a very good job of addressing how polarizing and frustrating Shedinja can be on an individual level where you simply cannot roll a move to hit it considering almost NOTHING can hit it and its item makes it even harder to roll something that can get past this mon.

To compare, Moody Remoraid and Snorunt aren't banned in standard metagames because they win an overwhelming amount of the time, they are banned because they add unhealthy overwhelmingly rng-based elements and minimize player skill. Although metronome battles is certainly meant to be an rng-based metagame, this thread is evidence that there are still skill to be found when building a team that has the highest odds to consistently perform despite that rng. I believe Sturdy Shedinja throws much of that out of the window and compresses games into a tiny window of useable moves that are able to get past its overwhelming immunities.
Good post. While I cannot argue against the fact that Shedinja can be frustrating to play against due to the vast amount of moves it is immune to, I just wanted to add a few observations I made on the state of Shedinja.

Shedinja counterplay is becoming commonplace on many teams, and therefore Shedinja is not being used by anyone except maybe people in the 1000~1100s elo. There are completely viable counterpicks availible that can easily win against it and also be generally good against the ladder. There is the obvious hard counter Mold Breaker that the current iteration of MetronomerBot is bringing, and there are the Poison Point/Poison Touch and Flame Body abilities which are also pretty solid against stall/physical based teams respectively. Stall teams like BonkStall are pretty consistent at outlasting Shedinja and is generally pretty solid against most other teams. Whether this is an "unhealthy" polarization due to Shedinja or a "healthy" adaptation based on common meta threats, I am not sure. This observation could be interpreted either way honestly.

Shedinja Ban seems to be in high demand right now, maybe someone could post a poll on the forums and see what we all think.

I'm not sure what would convince the leadership that this needs to go considering they haven't given any kind of reasoning other than "it isn't that good" or "I haven't seen any forum posts on this just discord complaints" and similarly general statements that are absolutely no help to anyone. Maybe if it had a higher winrate but that's a subjective slippery slope because who's to decide what the winrate for something broken or unhealthy must be before it is banned and that doesn't do a very good job of addressing how polarizing and frustrating Shedinja can be on an individual level where you simply cannot roll a move to hit it considering almost NOTHING can hit it and its item makes it even harder to get past.

I think that Andyboy words it perfectly

I agree with the sentiment, and personally feel that Shedinja twists the soul of the games it's in. A week ago, I made a post in smogoff that summed up why I like metronome battles. Since then, I've been able to play on the ladder for a while and experience the horror for myself, so I'll share my perspective.

Metronome Battles are pretty fast and exciting, and the thing that keeps me going is that every game always plays out differently.
The Sturdinja represents the complete opposite of this ideal, with battles usually being slow and drawn out, but even then you can't really predict any outcomes with Shedinja, yet the games always feel the same. Unlike any other pokemon, it's impossible to make partial progress on killing it, so on any given turn you've either killed the Sturdinja or you haven't. Even when you win, it doesn't provide you with a sense of pride and accomplishment. In terms of literal reward, I've noticed that its players are mostly low ELO, and also the victories feel quite hollow. There's no triumphant moment of satisfaction where in the last moment, you drop a meteor to take out a green health bar in one shot and it really sinks in that anything can happen.

I'm glad that the strat got a fair shot at life at least, but I think it's safe to say that it's unfun for everyone.

Ivy

resident enigma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor
Thank you guys for putting it all to words. Despite Sturdinja indeed being not the most statistically significant hindrance, I even found myself changing my Thick Fat/Ice Scales Necturna on the Flower Veil team to Flame Body for essentially the sole purpose of speeding up the occasional Sturdinja matchup (Flame Body has its merits, but still!). I've put forth a PR to ban Sturdy ++ Shedinja once more based on the conclusions of this "retest".

In other news, the other "retests" of Primordial Sea and Desolate Land will remain free, and NGas will stay banned!

Gen 7 Metronome veteran here, I've been trying out the gen 8 meta but haven't visited the thread until now. Here are a couple teams I've had success using:

GOD HELP ME (Cramorant-Gulping) @ Jaboca Berry
Ability: Gulp Missile
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Slowbro-Chargable (Slowbro-Mega) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Metronome

I've been having some fun with this team on the ladder. I don't normally like using Flying types, but Cramorant has exclusive access to the Gulp Missile ability, which lets it do 25% to the first thing that hits it and drop their defense by 1 stage, and Jaboca Berry helps stack the recoil even higher. Mega bro does what it usually does but with lightning rod to absorb electric attacks that would for sure one-shot Cramorant while boosting its SpA and still having plenty of weaknesses with which to activate Weakness Policy. I've considered using Cramorant-Gorging instead to paralyze opponents instead of dropping their defense, but I was still worried about Shedinja and running out of PP, so defense drops seemed like the better option. Now that the ladder is full of Mega Heracross and Defiant is replacing Mold Breaker again, I'm starting to think the paralysis might be better. (Side note: Jaboca Berry is currently bugged on sim, as according to DaWoblefet it should activate even when the holder takes a lethal blow, which is making this Cramorant set just a little worse than it ought to be).

horce 1.0W0 (Glastrier) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Magearna 3.1 (Altaria) (F) @ Altarianite
Ability: Intrepid Sword
Shiny: Yes
Brave Nature
- Metronome

This was my main team for a while before I started running Mummy/Poison Point Type:Null on every team to fight Shedinjas. It got to number 1 on the ladder once, and for good reason. Water Bubble is a great ability for Glastrier that I really haven't seen anyone else using. It effectively removes the fire weakness without preventing Weakness Policy from activating, the burn immunity is often useful, and the double damage from water attacks isn't half bad either. As for Altaria, I actually pioneered the Pixilate Magearna set way back in gen 7 when that was the best counter to Pokestar Spirit, and this is the spiritual successor to that. Well, I actually tried Mega Gardevoir first, but its stats just didn't work well in metro, which is why this is version 3.1. I'm running the base forme with a mega stone, because as I see it, Pixilate is a good ability, and Intrepid Sword is a good "item", and it is a good set so long as I don't forget to mega evolve on the first turn.

(Type: Null) @ Eviolite
Ability: Power Spot
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Carnival Might (Blacephalon) @ Bright Powder
Ability: Download
Shiny: Yes
Quiet Nature
- Metronome

Power Spot Type:Null is something that I really wanted to work, but it just didn't have a good partner as Download Ampharosite Ampharos had the wrong stat spread for metro even with Mold Breaker, and the equivalent Gyarados set is banned for having just a little to high of a BST. I haven't really tried it since, but I think the right partner is out there. Ideally, it's something decently tanky with an anti-meta ability.

Blacephalon is just your basic Deo-A stand-in, but with a much better defensive type and actual bulk. I never could find a good item for it, trying Kee Berry initially, but it was supposed to be on a team with Mummy Type:Null, so maybe it could run Magic Guard Life Orb or something, I dunno. Personally, I think Normalium Z and choice items are bad in general, but Blacephalon could probably pull them off.

It's really cool to see this meta still kicking after my time away from PS!, and it's been really fun playing this again!

Last edited:
MacChaeger recently asked me about how to use the metronome spam bot and I thought more people could use this knowledge as well. I'll just directly copy what I said to him in private messages.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I'm back. Since you're a staff, I am gonna assume you are pretty tech-savvy and skip the basic stuff. This zip file has basically everything you need.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F3QQ3z3HueuiTfpt2e-82zZr13z0kMur/view?usp=sharing

Pokemon-Showdown-master is a custom server that removes all ratelimiting so that your server can spam thousands of games in a couple minutes. I also removed the metronome battles banlist entirely.

poke-env-metronome is the place where the battle bots are at.

1605271898491.png

these 3 are the code I use for testing games. mb.py is a quick 1v1 test, mb1va.py is for 1 vs all teams, mbava.py is for teams fighting in a league format. You can easily edit the teams used, the amount of teams used in the test (for mb1va and mbava), and the number of battles fought.

Run node pokemon-showdown on your command line to start up the server, and then run one of those 3 on your command line. If you are testing like 20,000+ battles at once, use "node --max-old-space-size=8192 pokemon-showdown" to allocate more memory because your server will probably crash.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I didn't really explain the "basic stuff" aka getting the bot started. If you really want help on using the bot on your own, maybe try PMing me on discord.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)