SM OU Metronome Gengar Bulky Offense

Metronome Gengar Bulky Offense (OU Team)

Introduction:
Hey RMT! So I wanted to build a bulky offensive team around Gengar with a metronome, mainly because it's really fun to use. This is just an intro, I don't know what else to say so let's just get right into the team.

The Team:
Of course started with gengar because I wanted to be able to try out the metronome set to surprise bulkier pokèmon that would try to switch in on him.

Gengar @ Metronome
Ability: Cursed Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Scizor is mainly here to help soak up hits, and act as a defogger. Also, since this is a bulky offense team I used scizor because he's great at pivoting out with u turn.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

This may seem odd, but since ferrothorn is great at setting up spikes and just being annoying in general, I used him. Also another big reason I needed him was to help with tapu koko, which is a big threat to the rest of my team.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Shouldn't be a surprise. Of course landorus-t is on the team, he fits so well, as usual for teambuilding. I needed a rocker, ground resist, and electric immunity, as well as a great pivot, and since landorus fulfills of those roles, I added him.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

I wanted a good cleaner, and since gengar can help weaken mega venusaur, I thought that a scarfed keldeo could be a great revenge killer and cleaner.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Stone Edge
- Scald

Hoopa Unbound was the final member, as I needed a strong wallbreaker on this team. Hoopa Unbound can easily break through any team and on a bulky offensive team like this, it's fairly easy to get him in safely through pivoting.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Weaknesses:

Magearna is easily the biggest threat to my team. Of course it can be worn down by my pivots and be surprised with hoopa's z move, the team does have troubles switching into it.

Despite being worn down and surprised by gengar potentially, mega venusaur is definitely still a big threat to this team, as it easily walls keldeo and gengar. However it's not nearly as bad as magearna because it can be worn down by scald burns and stealth rocks.

Tornadus Therian (and honestly flying types in general like mega pinsir) are giant threats to this team. I don't have anything that can really beat this thing, besides the scarf keldeo with stone edge but that isn't really good enough.

So that's my team! I know there are a lot of big holes, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
nice team dude but I think you can add hawlucha as a threat to this team as it can set up on Lando/Scizor for freely (Well then I guess which team doesn't struggle with the bird) and you don't have a reliable revenge killer for that. I'd suggest to change Lando set to offensive (z-fly) one as you already have defensive scizor to check zygarde. Your team straight up loses to hawlucha if it gets opening which I don't think it's too hard for that. And I also think that knock off is better on ferro over protect as it actually can get rid of leftovers from heatran. While I do think that protect is useful to scout for random hp fire but knock off is better as it actually can punish any double. otherwise it looks fine

Hey, really cool team. I've seen more and more Pokemon with Metronome and using it on Gengar can work I guess. However, the 3 weaknesses you pointed out are right. Magearna is really hard to switch into, especially if it carries HP Fire. I think though that the last 2 are less common and you can still pressure them (Torn-T and M-Venu) with Gengar and Hoopa-U. Then, I find Lele being quite a big threat since it can grab a kill everytime it comes, if it clicks the right move. Also, I don't think Scarf Keld is good in the current metagame and you generally avoid using it. So, I'm gonna make one major change and a lot of minor changes that I think are needed. Let's start!

Major Change

>
While I didn't really like that Hoopa-U on this team, I was looking for something that actually is able to check both Magearna and Lele, two threats of your team. So, I think, replacing Hoopa-U for Mew would be helpful. It is able to take on Magearna with EQ and it is not 2HKO'ed by Lele's Moonblast. For the set, I'd run two attacking moves, EQ (for Magearna since you're using it as an answer to this Pokemon) and Ice beam so it's still able to take on Grounds such as Zygarde. Dropping Will-O-Wisp can be annoying in some situations but the coverage given by these two moves is worth it in my opinion. As the last move, I'd run SR, so you have a new SR setter and that allows Lando-T to run another set.

Minor Changes

With the addition of Mew, and so a SR Setter, I think you can run a Choice Scarf on Lando-T. I find this set particularly good in the current metagame and it would be a better scarfer than Keldeo as well. Standard set here with Defog so you can run something else on M-Scizor. You also might want to run some defensive investments since the EVs in Atk aren't really necessary.

I'd suggest running a set with SD and Knock Off. Since you now have a new defogger in Scarf Lando-T, you can run something else on M-Scizor. The SD set on M-Scizor is pretty good and it transforms your Scizor into a great win condition that's able to pressure a lot of teams. I'd run Knock Off over U-turn because it first is a move that every team should have once at least and it allows you to win the 1v1 Pex vs M-Scizor as well as removing items of the likes of Celesteela and Zapdos.

Since your scarfer is now Lando-T and you don't have a Z Move user, I'd suggest running the CM + Z Hydro Pump set on Keldeo. I think it's its best set right now and it lets you pressure a lot of fat things that annoy both M-Scizor and Gengar. Not much to say here, you can just test it out. Specs can also work I guess.

Gengar @ Metronome
Ability: Cursed Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Keldeo-Resolute @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Calm Mind
- Taunt
- Secret Sword

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Feel free to ask me anything, good luck!

Hey thanks for the rate I'm just assuming that you meant to put knock off > defog on mega scizor? And also if I'm using an SD set should I move the EVs around instead of making it so defensive?

Hey thanks for the rate I'm just assuming that you meant to put knock off > defog on mega scizor? And also if I'm using an SD set should I move the EVs around instead of making it so defensive?
No, SD > Defog and Knock Off > U-Turn even though that doesn't matter. For the spread, it's an option yeah, just look at M-Scizor's smogon analysis i think there's a spread for the SD set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)