SS OU Mew / CBPert Balance

So firstly... the team! I tried to copy/paste from Pokepaste so I really hope all the pics paste as well! Haha. Link to the actual team is here too (https://pokepast.es/732367aba0506151).

Currently at 1742 on the ladder AND RISING (...hopefully)

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp **(Super Fang)**
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off

The first member of the team! Mew is one of my top 3 favorite Pokemon, and with this in mind I just knew that it could still be viable in OU! Mew stacks Spikes, burns physical threats like Lando, Chomp, Kartana, Swamperts, etc... Knocks boots off the birds and recovery off the Pex's/Clefables. And Soft-boiled is mandatory recovery. I think Mew is underrated -- it can do a shitload of things, but lead Mew is where I think it shines. I had rocks at first, but I was able to sneak Rocks on swampert (just like the scarf krooks that run rocks) and Mew is surprisingly effective at setting up a few layers. With the full PhysDef spread, this Mew does NOT need to function as a suicide lead! Keep it alive -- it will pester your opponent for far longer than either of you might realize. Other options on here instead of Wisp that i've messed around with are Taunt and Magic Coat but I've grown to love Wisp most.

**Edit: I have changed WoW to Super Fang to hit basically anything on the switch for 50% and...it has overperformed!**

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Sucker Punch
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Urshifu is here because it's broken and should be sent to Ubers. I believe Band is its most effective set, and while I've heard from everyone and their mother (mostly blunder and pokeaim, who i watch on youtube) that U-Turn is bad on Shifu, I feel that I don't need Poison Jab (because I handle fini and clef very well) and this team adores the added momentum.

Melmetal @ Protective Pads
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Def
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave / Rock Slide
- Toxic

Protective Pads Melmetal is a THUG. This thing comes in on whatever physical attacker you want to make your opponent question the legitimacy of. If they have a Zapdos/Moltres, you hard read this shit out of them, click Toxic, watch it miss, and rage. Just kidding -- although you wouldn't believe how much a 90% accuracy move ACTUALLY misses. I was running T-Wave for the longest time, and just switched to Rock Slide just to test it out to actually do damage to the birds. Protective Pads helps vs the birds, and really just lets you spam DIB even more. Love this double-status Melmetal set -- it really makes him even more of a menace than every Mel already is. EQ is for the Tran / Pex switchins, although with the prevalence of Boom i've been strongly considering switching to High Horsepower. I just HATE using moves under 100% accuracy and try to avoid them whenever possible because I am truly not a lucky person.

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Our scarfer. Outspeeds literally everything (including max speed Regieleki). I'm sure there's actually a more optimal EV spread, but the purpose of this thing is really to just outspeed everything and either KO or paralyze them even if they have a sub up (looking at you, you little purple horse asshole). Super walled by mandibuzz, but then again every Pult set is. U-Turn because again this team (and I in general) loves keeping momentum. I'm clicking Shadow Ball 90% of the time, because even things that think they avoid the 2HKO start panicking when they see "____'s Sp.Def fell!" For whatever reason, that 20% drop seems more like 75% in most of my matches. I'm not complaining.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane

Physically defensive Zapdos is just so good this gen. Volt keeps momentum again (although I've tested discharge and l-o-v-e it). Hurricane hits harder than you would think on something with only 32 ev's invested into sp atk, and people forget that if they got defogged it basically always hits. Pretty standard set here which walls the plethora of Rillaboom, Kartana, Lando-T, Krook, Cinderace, Swampert, and more running around -- as close to a "blanket" physical check as possible (if you're not running slowbro). Love this mon!

Swampert @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Earthquake
- Liquidation
- Stealth Rock / Focus Punch

My surprise rocker / momentum gainer / Toxapex SLAYER. This thing hits hard AF and can take a hit or three before going down. Hot take: If Swampert got slack off, I think it would be an S-Tier mon in OU. I was running Focus Punch on this thing for the longest time (can attribute quite a few wins to that) to hammer the fuck out of the obvious Ferrothorn switch in. I switched to rocks as I got further up the ladder because I've actually been seeing way less Ferro's up here. Flip turn for momentum, and then other stabs to just dish out as much damage as possible with the band. I didnt see the need for Ice Punch, but feel free to run it for Chomp / Zapdos.

Last edited:
Nice team !
Love banded pert, I play a more bulky one with 52 Spe (for SpD tytar) with Hammer Arm, Ice Punch, quake, flip. Your Spe for Azu and Marowak ?
If you don't need leftovers on Mew you could use Lum Berry to have a status absorber. + synchronize look fun ^^
Shadow Ball offer more offensive early game, but you have 2/3 of your team that set status, what about Hex on Drag ?

Last edited:
Nice team !
Love banded pert, I play a more bulky one with 52 Spe (for SpD tytar) with Hammer Arm, Ice Punch, quake, flip. Your Spe for Azu and Marowak ?
If you don't need leftovers on Mew you could use Lum Berry to have a status absorber. + synchronize look fun ^^
Shadow Ball offer more offensive early game, but you have 2/3 of your team that set status, what about Hex on Drag ?
hex on drag is definitely something i'd try out instead of U-turn -- nice idea!

So firstly... the team! I tried to copy/paste from Pokepaste so I really hope all the pics paste as well! Haha. Link to the actual team is here too (https://pokepast.es/732367aba0506151).

Currently at 1742 on the ladder AND RISING (...hopefully)

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Knock Off

The first member of the team! Mew is one of my top 3 favorite Pokemon, and with this in mind I just knew that it could still be viable in OU! Mew stacks Spikes, burns physical threats like Lando, Chomp, Kartana, Swamperts, etc... Knocks boots off the birds and recovery off the Pex's/Clefables. And Soft-boiled is mandatory recovery. I think Mew is underrated -- it can do a shitload of things, but lead Mew is where I think it shines. I had rocks at first, but I was able to sneak Rocks on swampert (just like the scarf krooks that run rocks) and Mew is surprisingly effective at setting up a few layers. With the full PhysDef spread, this Mew does NOT need to function as a suicide lead! Keep it alive -- it will pester your opponent for far longer than either of you might realize. Other options on here instead of Wisp that i've messed around with are Taunt and Magic Coat but I've grown to love Wisp most.

Urshifu @ Choice Band
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Wicked Blow
- Sucker Punch
- Close Combat
- U-turn

Urshifu is here because it's broken and should be sent to Ubers. I believe Band is its most effective set, and while I've heard from everyone and their mother (mostly blunder and pokeaim, who i watch on youtube) that U-Turn is bad on Shifu, I feel that I don't need Poison Jab (because I handle fini and clef very well) and this team adores the added momentum.

Melmetal @ Protective Pads
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Def
Adamant Nature
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave / Rock Slide
- Toxic

Protective Pads Melmetal is a THUG. This thing comes in on whatever physical attacker you want to make your opponent question the legitimacy of. If they have a Zapdos/Moltres, you hard read this shit out of them, click Toxic, watch it miss, and rage. Just kidding -- although you wouldn't believe how much a 90% accuracy move ACTUALLY misses. I was running T-Wave for the longest time, and just switched to Rock Slide just to test it out to actually do damage to the birds. Protective Pads helps vs the birds, and really just lets you spam DIB even more. Love this double-status Melmetal set -- it really makes him even more of a menace than every Mel already is. EQ is for the Tran / Pex switchins, although with the prevalence of Boom i've been strongly considering switching to High Horsepower. I just HATE using moves under 100% accuracy and try to avoid them whenever possible because I am truly not a lucky person.

Dragapult @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave

Our scarfer. Outspeeds literally everything (including max speed Regieleki). I'm sure there's actually a more optimal EV spread, but the purpose of this thing is really to just outspeed everything and either KO or paralyze them even if they have a sub up (looking at you, you little purple horse asshole). Super walled by mandibuzz, but then again every Pult set is. U-Turn because again this team (and I in general) loves keeping momentum. I'm clicking Shadow Ball 90% of the time, because even things that think they avoid the 2HKO start panicking when they see "____'s Sp.Def fell!" For whatever reason, that 20% drop seems more like 75% in most of my matches. I'm not complaining.

Zapdos @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpA
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane

Physically defensive Zapdos is just so good this gen. Volt keeps momentum again (although I've tested discharge and l-o-v-e it). Hurricane hits harder than you would think on something with only 32 ev's invested into sp atk, and people forget that if they got defogged it basically always hits. Pretty standard set here which walls the plethora of Rillaboom, Kartana, Lando-T, Krook, Cinderace, Swampert, and more running around -- as close to a "blanket" physical check as possible (if you're not running slowbro). Love this mon!

Swampert @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Earthquake
- Liquidation
- Stealth Rock / Focus Punch

My surprise rocker / momentum gainer / Toxapex SLAYER. This thing hits hard AF and can take a hit or three before going down. Hot take: If Swampert got slack off, I think it would be an S-Tier mon in OU. I was running Focus Punch on this thing for the longest time (can attribute quite a few wins to that) to hammer the fuck out of the obvious Ferrothorn switch in. I switched to rocks as I got further up the ladder because I've actually been seeing way less Ferro's up here. Flip turn for momentum, and then other stabs to just dish out as much damage as possible with the band. I didnt see the need for Ice Punch, but feel free to run it for Chomp / Zapdos.
It seems like you use a lot of status to not be taking advantage of Dragapult's Hex, or for that matter, Spectrier's if it can be used. U-Turn is also really important and you already have a status mon with Melmetal. I would also recommend using something to cover Urshifu, you have no covers currently and Mew just makes you more weak to it, forcing switches, and even making you sack it for free at times. The Wil-O-Wisp is nice, but really, when are they ever going to leave the Shifu in on anything that can potentially hurt them? Also, get a set for Dragapult that runs 8 Def it survives a SP from Urshifu. Calculate the speeds of some common stat boosted pokemon to figure out what you need from there as far as the EVs are concerned. Eleki really isn't that common anymore and you have a solid switch-in. Lastly, try using a more defensively oriented Melmetal set. Try to take examples from Impish / Careful sets, Adamant just isn't worth it.

Also, sure, you have Urshifu, but what variety will it offer you if every time you are doing that "reload" you're having to save it and let your other important members die? I would definitely leave it in, but again, find something will that momentum.

One change I would potentially make to this team would be to get something fast that picks up KO momentum on a kill, abilities like the Ice and Ghost Horses' (you know who they are, I'm sure), Moxie, etc. It gives you team more an of edge when you do pick up a KO, it seems like after the team does so it has to "reload," and most times those no-recovery mons you have just die out and you are left with a weaker core.

It seems like you use a lot of status to not be taking advantage of Dragapult's Hex, or for that matter, Spectrier's if it can be used. U-Turn is also really important and you already have a status mon with Melmetal. I would also recommend using something to cover Urshifu, you have no covers currently and Mew just makes you more weak to it, forcing switches, and even making you sack it for free at times. The Wil-O-Wisp is nice, but really, when are they ever going to leave the Shifu in on anything that can potentially hurt them? Also, get a set for Dragapult that runs 8 Def it survives a SP from Urshifu. Calculate the speeds of some common stat boosted pokemon to figure out what you need from there as far as the EVs are concerned. Eleki really isn't that common anymore and you have a solid switch-in. Lastly, try using a more defensively oriented Melmetal set. Try to take examples from Impish / Careful sets, Adamant just isn't worth it.

Also, sure, you have Urshifu, but what variety will it offer you if every time you are doing that "reload" you're having to save it and let your other important members die? I would definitely leave it in, but again, find something will that momentum.

One change I would potentially make to this team would be to get something fast that picks up KO momentum on a kill, abilities like the Ice and Ghost Horses' (you know who they are, I'm sure), Moxie, etc. It gives you team more an of edge when you do pick up a KO, it seems like after the team does so it has to "reload," and most times those no-recovery mons you have just die out and you are left with a weaker core.
Wow your "reload" statement is amazingly accurate when this team is put into practice -- thanks! I'm going to try out a moxie / neigh mon!

I've been messing around with this team and I definitely agree that something like Spectrier feels way better in the Dragapult spot, as it does all of the same things with scarf (powerful speed control) but has that danger snowball factor that Dragapult lacks. With pult, it seemed like I would switch it in, get a KO, then be forced to switch out the next turn. Spectrier solves this with being a serious threat your opponent can't ignore. On the other hand, Melmetal just feels awkward. I'm not recommending something else I just can't seem to find a good set that seems to fit with the rest of the squad. The one I like the most so far (atleast the base of it) is the generic protect set off smogon.

Melmetal @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Toxic

I find the SpD does a lot for survivability, especially with the protect leftovers combo. It gives Melmetal a lot of bulk along with serious damage, as Double Iron Bash and Earthquake can both one hit a lot of threats thanks to the nature and EV investment. However I havn't done any specific calcs to maximize damage and survivability, so this is just a starting point.

Last edited:
I've been messing around with this team and I definitely agree that something like Spectrier feels way better in the Dragapult spot, as it does all of the same things with scarf (powerful speed control) but has that danger snowball factor that Dragapult lacks. With pult, it seemed like I would switch it in, get a KO, then be forced to switch out the next turn. Spectrier solves this with being a serious threat your opponent can't ignore. On the other hand, Melmetal just feels awkward. I'm not recommending something else I just can't seem to find a good set that seems to fit with the rest of the squad. The one I like the most so far (atleast the base of it) is the generic protect set off smogon.

Melmetal @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Atk / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Double Iron Bash
- Earthquake
- Toxic

I find the SpD does a lot for survivability, especially with the protect leftovers combo. It gives Melmetal a lot of bulk along with serious damage, as Double Iron Bash and Earthquake can both one hit a lot of threats thanks to the nature and EV investment. However I havn't done any specific calcs to maximize damage and survivability, so this is just a starting point.
I'm going to try this Melmetal, I also used Spectrier with this spread below to always survive a Grassy Glide in terrain from 100%. It's been pulling its weight and still hits 351 Sp.Atk which is good. Ive been getting haxed to all hell tonight on the ladder, but the team has been performing very strongly. Always hate when the results are skewed by a bunch of crits and freezes haha.

Spectrier @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grim Neigh
EVs: 156 Def / 100 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Shadow Ball
- Dark Pulse
- Hyper Beam

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)