Mienshao (Analysis)

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/620.shtml
==================================
QC Approval: 0/2 [][]
QC Rejection: 0/2 [][]
Grammar/Prose: 0/2 [][]
==================================

[Overview]

• Great 105 Base Speed along with 125 Base Attack
  • Immunity to flinching
  • Access to great support moves like Fake Out and Wide Guard

[SET]
name: Lead
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Rock Slide
move 3: Drain Punch / Hi Jump Kick
move 4: Wide Guard / Protect
nature: Jolly
item: Fighting Gem / Focus Sash
ability: Inner Focus
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]

• Can fit on any number of teams, but is extremely useful on set up teams such as Tailwind or as a counter to Trick Room users.
  • One of the three possible users of Fake Out, and the only one that is also immune to flinching.
  • After you have used Fake Out, Mienshao has good coverage with Rock Slide and your choice of Fighting STAB.
  • Wide Guard can allow Mienshao to be more of a support pokemon by covering both of your pokemon at the same time, but this only works with multi-target moves.

[Additional Comments]

• Hi Jump Kick can be used over Drain Punch, but it can be extremely risky considering the amount of Ghost-types and Protect users.
  • Protect can be used over Wide Guard. Protect is a more reliable move, but it does not have the same high reward that Wide Guard does.

[Optional Changes]

• Life Orb can also be used as an item to increase damage. If you do this, it is recommended you use Drain Punch in order to try and balance out the recoil.
  • Reflect (to be elaborated)
  • Quick Guard (to be elaborated)

[Checks and Counters]

• While not too much can be done first turn to Mienshao because of Fake Out, after that Mienshao can be severely hurt by pokemon that are faster than it. Best examples are Tornadus and Archeops that can easily take Mienshao out with Acrobatics.
  • If the opponent is able to set up Trick Room or Tailwind, then Mienshao might also have some problems due to being frail. however, it will still be able to do it job of support with Wide Guard.

I would consider the usage of an Eject button with the ability Regenrator.
When you face another (in VGC 11 really omnipotent Fake-Out Lead) Mienshao, you have not to worry about a speed tie, because, even if you lose the tie, your Mienshao would retreat for a later usage of Fake Out, the damage would be healed AND you can bring a counter to one of the both opposing leading pokemon. In the case you win the speed tie, your Eject Button stays and waits for an attack that hopefully DON'T OHKO Mienshao to use it later for another Fake Out.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No Mienshao is going to Fake Out another Mienshao because it's tacitly assumed that Mienshao will use Inner Focus. If you win the Speed tie and Fake Out, the opposing Mienshao can still use Fake Out due to Inner Focus, and if the opposing Mienshao uses Fake Out, it won't use Fake Out on your Mienshao because it'll assume that yours will have Inner Focus, making an Eject Button strategy almost pointless.

I have an adamant mienshao with Beneficial IV's, is it still good enuff or would a jolly be the only good choice here.

Hey, Mienshao and Accelgor are the only ones that can learn Feint. Feint breaks Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Protect, and Detect. This could be useful. Is it?

muffinhead

b202 wifi vgc
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
feint is pretty awesome and i did mention it to ditto on irc but he's busy i think :3
it's also useful priority for mienshao to have

Ditto

/me huggles
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Damn it Alaka/616! I pester you guys to QC and then you never tell me when you actually do D:

I'll get back to work on this and I'm adding Feint. I already talked to muffinhead about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)