Milotic [4N] - Life Orb Tank

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/milotic

So in my quests of UU, I've been working on utilizing Milotic's excellent offensive and defensive capabilities simultaneously. Being a water type, Milotic is blessed with acceptable type coverage, few weaknesses, a crucial fire resist... and the exclusive ability to Recover. I worked with Blue Kirby on this spread and did extensive testing to find the ideal spread. So without further ado, here it is:

[SET]
name: Life Orb Tank
move 1: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Hidden Power Electric / Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Recover
item: Life Orb
evs: 152 HP / 80 Def / 220 SpA / 56 Spe
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> With sturdy defenses, excellent type coverage, instant recovery, and a nice 100 Base Special Attack, Milotic has all the tools to be a premier tank in UU. Hydro Pump is the main attack and absolutely tears through most of UU. Ice Beam is for coverage and will make Roserade and Shaymin think twice about switching in freely.<p>

<p> The final attack is a general coverage attack to battle with opposing Water-types. Hidden Power Electric has better neutrality as a whole which can make it more difficult for opponents to switch in. Hidden Power Grass, however gives you a solid way to deal with Stockpile Gastrodon and can at least dent Lanturn. Recover allows Milotic to switch in multiple times throughout the course of the battle and replenish any health lost from Life Orb recoil.<p>

<p> The magic in this set is all in the EVs. The HP investment is enough to reach 369, which rounds Life Orb recoil down. The 56 Speed EVs allow Milotic to reach 212, which is enough to outpace Mixed Blaziken, Jolly Marowak, and Adamant Torterra. Although the prospect of using a Timid nature and additional EVs may be tempting, Milotic will lose a significant amount of power and durability. Notable Pokemon between 210 and Milotic's maximum Speed usually have priority like Absol and Honchcrow's Sucker Punch, or have a method to increase their speed such as Feraligatr, Altaria, and Swift Swimmers like Kabutops.<p>

<p> With a Modest nature and 220 Special Attack EVs, Milotic reaches its highest bonus possible bonus point total at 319, which makes it an effective wallbreaker. Hydro Pump has enough juice to score 2HKOs on most Uxie, Spritomb, and Registeel, as well as a very slight chance to 2HKO Clefable. The rest of the EVs were put into defenses to make it an effective check against fire pokemon. Arcanine will never manage a 2HKO with Choice Banded Extremespeed while Stealth Rock is in play, and Moltres is unable to 3HKO with Air Slash despite the lack of leftovers.<p>

<p> This Milotic pairs well with Crobat, who can absorb the lethal grass assaults of Shaymin-S and Roserade. -under construction-<p>

------------------------------------

Well here she is... I haven't done this team option thing yet so I could use some advice on that, thanks.

love this thing, you convinced me yesterday about the evs

edit: also this should be in uu revamps i think

[SET COMMENTS]

<p> With sturdy defenses, excellent type coverage, instant recovery, and a nice 100 Base Special Attack, Milotic has all the tools to be a premier tank in UU. Hydro Pump is the main attack and absolutely tears through most of UU (never liked "beats / tears through metagame, since metagame changes and metagame is kind of broad anyway, uu is probably best). Ice Beam is for coverage and will make Roserade and Shaymin think twice about switching in freely.<p>

<p> The final attack is a general coverage attack to battle opposing Water-types. Hidden Power Electric has better neutrality as a whole which can make it more difficult for opponents to switch in. Hidden Power Grass, however, gives you a solid way to deal with Stockpile Gastrodon and can at least dent Lanturn. Recover allows Milotic to switch in multiple times throughout the course of the battle and replenish any health lost from Life Orb recoil.<p>

<p> The magic in this set is all in the EVs. The HP investment is enough to 369, which rounds Life Orb recoil down. The 56 Speed EVs allow Milotic to reach 212, which is enough to outpace Mixed Blaziken, Jolly Marowak, and Adamant Torterra. Although the prospect of using a Timid nature and additional EVs may be tempting, Milotic will lose a significant amount of power and durability. Notable Pokemon that hover between 210 Speed and Milotic's max Speed usually have strong priority attacks such as Absol and Honchcrow's Sucker Punch, or have a method to increase their Speed such as Agility Blaziken, Feraligatr, Altaria, and Rock Polish Kabutops. (I hate the last sentence of this paragraph but its pretty vital in explaining why max speed isnt needed. if possible, try to fix it, but i personally dont know ;_;)<p>

<p> With a Modest nature and 220 Special Attack EVs, Milotic reaches its highest possible bonus point at 319, which makes it a pretty effective wallbreaker. Hydro Pump has enough juice to score 2HKOs on most Uxie, Spritomb, and Registeel, as well as a very slight chance to 2HKO Clefable. The rest of the EVs are put into the defenses to make Milotic an effective check against Fire-type Pokemon. Arcanine will never manage a 2HKO with Choice Banded Extremespeed and Stealth Rock damage (i hate "with ___ with" sounds run onny?_?), and Moltres will miss out on a 3HKO with Air Slash despite the lack of Leftovers. (does life orb recoil change this or not?)<p>

<p> This Milotic pairs well with Crobat, who can absorb the lethal grass assaults of Shaymin (just shaymin) and Roserade. -under construction-<p>

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You might want to mention Hariyama who can work great with Milotic because Chansey and Clefable can come and wall this set and attempt to Toxic Stall you. Hariyama doesn't mind Seismic Toss with 400+ HP and doesn't mind Toxic because of Guts. It can threaten with strong Fighting move.

<p> With sturdy defenses, excellent type coverage, instant recovery, and a nice 100 Base Special Attack, Milotic has all the tools to be a premier tank in UU. Hydro Pump is the main attack and absolutely tears through most of the metagame. Ice Beam is for coverage and will make Roserade and Shaymin think twice about switching in freely.<p>

<p> The final attack is a general coverage move to battle with opposing Water-types. Electric has better neutrality as a whole which can make it more difficult for opponents to switch in. Grass, however gives you a solid way to deal with Stockpile Gastrodon and can at least hurt Lanturn. Recover allows Milotic to switch in multiple times throughout the course of the battle and replenish health lost from Life Orb recoil.<p>

<p> The magic in this set is all in the EVs. The HP investment is enough to reach 369, which rounds Life Orb recoil down. The 56 Speed EVs allow Milotic to reach 212, which is enough to outpace Mixed Blaziken, Jolly Marowak and Adamant Torterra. Although the prospect of using a Timid nature and additional EVs may be tempting, Milotic will lose a significant amount of power and durability. Notable Pokemon that hover between 210 Speed and Milotic's max usually have priority like Absol and Honchcrow, or have a method to increase their speed such as Agility Blaziken, Feraligatr, Altaria, and Kabutops.<p>

<p> With a Modest nature and 220 Special Attack EVs, Milotic reaches its highest possible bonus point total, at 319, which makes it an effective wallbreaker. Hydro Pump has enough juice to score 2HKOs on most Uxie, Spritomb, and Registeel, as well as a very slight chance to 2HKO Clefable. The rest of the EVs were put into defenses to make it an effective check against fire pokemon. Arcanine will never manage a 2HKO with Choice Banded Extremespeed while Stealth Rock is in play, and Moltres is unable to 3HKO with Air Slash, despite the lack of leftovers.<p>
Really like the set, I'll be interested on testing it later on. Just a few nitpicks, not so much grammatical errors, but I think these 'sound' better, for lack of a better word. Well done.

Edited the grammar changes for now.

Any thoughts on a paragraph mentioning the 100 Def / 156 SpA / 252 Spe Timid spread for OU?

The third paragraph doesn't make sense anymore, in particular this sentence:

Although the prospect of using a Timid nature and additional EVs may be tempting, Milotic will lose a significant amount of Speed usually have priority like Absol and Honchkrow's Sucker Punch, or have a method to increase their speed such as Feraligatr, Altaria, and Swift Swimmers like Kabutops.
The middle part lacks any grammatical sense, and was actually better first time round. Also you missed a few of KD24's corrections. Fix Spiritomb too.

<p> This Milotic pairs well with Crobat, who can absorb the lethal grass assaults of Shaymin-S and Roserade. -under construction-<p>
Shaymin-S? Just noting it to see if it was intentional.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)