Mind Games (My First NU Ladder/ RMT)

Hi guys, this is DownSouthRambo (RamboUnchained on Showdown) and Im here to share the team I've been laddering with and get a few suggestions. I've been laddering with this team for about a 5hrs now and Im sitting in the 1500 area. I want to peak top 50 before X and Y. I know you guys can offer the best choices to make to allow that to happen.

About My Playstyle:

I like to play mindgames with my opponent, because just like in sports, you're under the most pressure when you dont know what's going to happen next. My plan is normally to annoy you into making a play that I can capitalize on, but changes according to my opponent's play style.

Disclaimer:

I've been messing with this team and it has gone through WAY too many changes to remember the team building process. Sorry

The Team:

Annoyance (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spd
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Confuse Ray

Misdreavus has 2 roles that she plays WELL. The spread effectively gives her 324 HP, 309 Def and Sp. Def allowing her to tank a lot of hits and check many of my team's threats. 0 Atk IVs for the oh-so-common Foul Play. Taunt keeps her from being setup bait, WoW gives her and my team much needed survivability against physical threats such as Sawk, Pinsir, and Swords Dance Samurott and Confuse Ray is there to add to the annoyance. I've 5-0d and 6-0d many unprepared teams by simply stalling them out and making them kill themselves.

Mushy (Musharna) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

With no spinner or hazard support, I needed a pokemon that could act as a combat medic (Cleric) and Musharna fits fine in that niche. Again, 0 Atk V is for Foul Play users. Her spread allows her to switch into a wide range or attacks, eat it, and get off a Heal Bell or T-Wave on the next turn to support the team. I rarely need Mushy to kill anything but she's a great counter to fighting types and other Pokes that are locked into a move that Mushy can laugh off. This little blob forces a lot of switches that give me a free team to heal my team, T-Wave the switch, or to make a switch myself.​

TMNT (Sawk) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge

Ah Sawk. My revenge killer and late game cleaner. Even though he has fallen from grace, he will still ravage a team that forgets he's in the tier and doesnt prepare for him or fail to dispose of him early. He runs a standard set and spread, but I opted on Mold Breaker for two reasons: 1. It allows Earthquake to hit Levitate and Sturdy users that expect to get a free switch in and force me to switch. 2. No spinner means Sturdy wont do me any good anyways. MB also forces my opponent to make a more cautious switch which eases prediction for me.

Samurai (Samurott) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 HP / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SAtk
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Air Slash

Specs Sammy is the best check to any Toad variant in NU. HP Grass will destroy any variant of it in one shot. Most people expect to see SD Samurott, but are in for a rude awakening when they eat a any move from it. I opted for Surf over Hydro Pump for the reliability. Hydro Pump was missing too much for my liking and a triple S (specs, stab-surf) hits hard on its own without having to pray it doesnt miss. I also opted for Air Slash over Megahorn to deal with fighting types as most Psychic types arent KOed by a non-stab Megahorn coming off of a 205 Atk and can destroy Sammy with Thunderbolt or a stab Psychic coming off of a high Sp. Atk.

It Floats (Eelektross) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flamethrower
- Drain Punch
- U-turn

Eelektross's role on the team is simple. Soften and OHKO as many pokemon as possible to pave the way for my 2 cleaners. The spread gives him attacks that come off of a 329 Atk and a 330 Sp. Atk. 40 EVs in HP allow him to live quite a few attacks with just under 5% of health and retaliate back or U-turn out of the situation.

Teddy (Ursaring) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Quick Feet
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Finally, we have Ursaring. The not so cuddly teddy bear. This thing is my late game cleaner and normally isnt brought out until Musharna is dead so he doesnt interfere with Heal Bell. Sucker Punch, Mach Punch or a strong stab from a faster mon are normally the only 2 things that stand in the way of me and a win after Quick feet is activated and SD boost. 458 Speed and 718 Atk is nothing to play with. Anything that doesnt resist the move I select is pretty much going to be OHKOd.

Threat List:

-If Sawk isnt around, Kangaskhan can punch holes through my team. Unless burned or paralyzed, she can run rampant as she normally cripples Ursaring with Sucker Punch and destroys Misdreavus if WoW misses.

-Chlorophyll and Swift Swim sweepers can be a VERY bad thing for my team as pretty much everything is outsped in the given weather, but they only get 5-8 turns to make the weather count.

-100% Stall Teams that get rid of Musharna and Misdreavus will win after 100 turns of boring and meaningless clicks...I HATE STALL TEAMS BTW. Stallers win because most users simply dont enjoy LONG battles. There's ways around them, but stall is for people that dont mind going 100+ turns and still possibly losing -___-

-Toxic spikes are an issue since I have 4 grounded pokemon and none to soak them up.

-Im sure there are more threats, but my wife is ready for me to come to bed :)

Thanks for the read. Im looking forward to the suggestions.

The importable will be available when changes have been made.

Hey man! Not a bad team, but I do have a few nitpicks!
Your misdreavus looks fine, but personally I would run Pain Split over taunt just for longevity issues! Your musharna is a serious problem though. I would run Baton Pass and Moonlight over Heal Bell and Signal Beam. Baton Pass allows you to escape being pursuit trapped, and moonlight makes sure you can truly stall out the opponent. Considering Musharna's only downfall is pursuit, those two are must-haves. Standard CS Sawk is standard, I love it all the same. It's fine. Don't run a MixTross. It isnt worth it. I've used so many sets in the past, but just now I'm realizing that Special Eelektross is the best. Thunderbolt / Volt Switch / Flamethrower / Giga Drain. Gives you extremely good coverage, and while you cannot take advantage of the higher attack stat it has. It shines a lot better in most situations. Ursaring..I don't know. I like the swords dance Idea, but I actually need to try it out. I just can't figure out a way you could pull one off. I'll have to see it in context. Specs Samurott is quite interesting, It looks not bad.

Changes:
Misdreavus - Pain Split > Taunt
Musharna - Moonlight > Heal Bell Baton Pass > Signal Beam
Eelektross - Giga Drain > Drain Punch Volt Switch > U-Turn

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Agreeing with most Brawlfest's suggestion. I am going to be quick since I'm a little busy:

1. Skuntank over Misdreavus. Skuntank will greatly help to support your team and can absorb Toxic Spikes.
  2. Use this ev spread on Musharna: 240 HP/252 Def/ 16 SpD. It will help you more against Kangaskhan which as you said can be a problem to your team.
  3. Change Samurott for a Seismitoad. Your team NEEDS Stealth Rocks. I would play around the bulky set and the offensive one and see which one is the best for you.
  4. On Eelektross, I would use a spread of 132 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 124 Spe. it lets you outsped Alomomola while keeping great bulk and offensive power. Use Thunderbolt/Giga Drain/Volt Switch/Flamethrower. You can run a bulkier spread 240 Hp/252 SpAtk/16 Spe if you need it.
  5. With your problem against Weather, I would try Scarf Tauros over Ursaring. Jolly Tauros with a Choice Scarf is able to outspeed Victreebel and Ludicolo under their weather and is awsome to revenge kill every other Scarfer.
  6. Change Sawk to Choice Band. You can keep Jolly if you still need to beat Adamant Kangaskhan.
Sorry if I changed a lot of your team, but I hope I helped you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey man! Not a bad team, but I do have a few nitpicks!
Your misdreavus looks fine, but personally I would run Pain Split over taunt just for longevity issues! Your musharna is a serious problem though. I would run Baton Pass and Moonlight over Heal Bell and Signal Beam. Baton Pass allows you to escape being pursuit trapped, and moonlight makes sure you can truly stall out the opponent. Considering Musharna's only downfall is pursuit, those two are must-haves. Standard CS Sawk is standard, I love it all the same. It's fine. Don't run a MixTross. It isnt worth it. I've used so many sets in the past, but just now I'm realizing that Special Eelektross is the best. Thunderbolt / Volt Switch / Flamethrower / Giga Drain. Gives you extremely good coverage, and while you cannot take advantage of the higher attack stat it has. It shines a lot better in most situations. Ursaring..I don't know. I like the swords dance Idea, but I actually need to try it out. I just can't figure out a way you could pull one off. I'll have to see it in context. Specs Samurott is quite interesting, It looks not bad.

Changes:
Misdreavus - Pain Split > Taunt
Musharna - Moonlight > Heal Bell Baton Pass > Signal Beam
Eelektross - Giga Drain > Drain Punch Volt Switch > U-Turn
Changes will be made and tested later today. I will report back with the results. Thanks a lot for the input.

Agreeing with most Brawlfest's suggestion. I am going to be quick since I'm a little busy:

1. Skuntank over Misdreavus. Skuntank will greatly help to support your team and can absorb Toxic Spikes.
  2. Use this ev spread on Musharna: 240 HP/252 Def/ 16 SpD. It will help you more against Kangaskhan which as you said can be a problem to your team.
  3. Change Samurott for a Seismitoad. Your team NEEDS Stealth Rocks. I would play around the bulky set and the offensive one and see which one is the best for you.
  4. On Eelektross, I would use a spread of 132 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 124 Spe. it lets you outsped Alomomola while keeping great bulk and offensive power. Use Thunderbolt/Giga Drain/Volt Switch/Flamethrower. You can run a bulkier spread 240 Hp/252 SpAtk/16 Spe if you need it.
  5. With your problem against Weather, I would try Scarf Tauros over Ursaring. Jolly Tauros with a Choice Scarf is able to outspeed Victreebel and Ludicolo under their weather and is awsome to revenge kill every other Scarfer.
  6. Change Sawk to Choice Band. You can keep Jolly if you still need to beat Adamant Kangaskhan.
Sorry if I changed a lot of your team, but I hope I helped you. Good luck!
Its all good lol. That's what I came here for. I knew I needed to make some changes, but you have given me the basis for a secondary ladder team :). Im definitely going to be trying all of the changes later on today. Thanks for the input.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)