Unofficial Metagames Mind of the Ancient Aviator (AG)

Hello, all, and welcome to my third RMT! Just like my previous two, we have hyper offense, but this time in the form of semi-psyspam led by Aerodactyl, and it's arguably the best of the three team's I will have RMT'd following this post. Something I like to do is build really gimmicky hyper offense teams. Most of the time, they aren't very good whatsoever, but sometimes they stick the landing; this team is an example of one that I feel has stuck the landing. It actually originated as an even more gimmicky offense — one on which Aerodactyl would get rocks up, set up a tailwind, and go into Eject Button Tapu Lele to set up Psychic Terrain and pivot into Swords Dance Rayquaza or Primal Kyogre (which previously occupied the Naganadel slot) and then proceed to decimate opposing teams. The team had moderate success but nothing worth noting. As time went on, the team began to develop more based on the psyspam side. I replaced Primal Kyogre with Naganadel, feeling that given its speed and power, it would benefit from the nullification of priority. I gave Tapu Lele the Terrain Extender to give my psychic sweepers more time to put in work, and I gave Aerodactyl Defog (at the suggestion of Satanic Beast) to help with hazard control, as Taunt simply wasn't enough at times. After all of this, I believe I have crafted an offense that can compete with a variety of different playstyles and that is really fun to play with as a whole. It has kept me consistently in the 1800-1950s range on the AG ladder.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Rock Tomb

The main reason I picked Aerodactyl for this team was because it could set rocks, Taunt, and Tailwind. Obviously the team isn't built around Tailwind support anymore, so why did I keep it around? Well, it's a very fast Taunt and Stealth Rock user that can also get rid of opposing hazards and has a very nice form of speed control in the form of Rock Tomb. Firing off a Rock Tomb into a fast lead or opposing Pokémon can set up Rayquaza or Naganadel coming in very nicely, potentially to set up and deal a ton of damage to whatever wants to come in. Overall, I'm of the opinion that Aerodactyl is an underrated Hyper Offensive lead, and I'm glad it's seeing a bit more traction on the ladder (because of my team maybe?), even if it's on those annoying Aerodactyl+Smeargle Webs teams.

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

As I said before, Naganadel is a Pokémon that can take advantage of Psychic Terrain and deal big damage. Not only that, but it's an extremely good stall-breaker. Nasty Plot combined with Naganadel's extremely good Dragon-Poison-Fire offensive core hits most of the metagame for big damage at +2. It's also one of the key Pokémon that helps against problematic Choice Scarf Pokémon, since Beast Boost will boost Naganadel's Speed stat. Naganadel also has the ability to set up against opposing support Arceus forms late game, since it takes an unboosted Judgment, so long as it isn't super effective. Naganadel is a very dangerous weapon, and I'm glad my team possesses it.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

As stated by many before me, this Pokémon is a beast; set up a Dragon Dance and watch the base 180 attack stat ravage opposing teams. It's extremely splashable, especially on Hyper Offense, so the fact that it continues to fit on this team after the changes I've made should be no surprise. It helps cover some of the team's weaknesses, such as Steel types and Choice Scarf Yveltal (highkey almost typed Choice Skarph) , as well as being a great capitalizer of Aerodactyl's Rock Tomb. Overall, I don't think this guy needs much explanation.

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Magic Coat

Tapu Lele is obviously here to set up Psychic Terrain; the peculiar thing you may note about it, however, is that I'm running Max HP over Special Attack. I opted for Max HP because I want to be able to preserve Tapu Lele for as long as I can in order to repeatedly set up Psychic Terrains throughout the game. With Max HP, Tapu Lele is guaranteed to take 2 Judgments from non-invested Arceus after Stealth Rock (even though the goal is to keep rocks off the field, it isn't always a reality). Magic Coat is there to help deter opposing hazards against faster hazard setters such as Deoxys-Speed. With Defog on Aerodactyl, this isn't exactly a necessity, but it is still nice to have; I'd be more than open to suggestions to fill this last slot.

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse

Deoxys-Attack under Psychic Terrain hits like an absolute truck; with 252+ special attack, even Steel types fear the raw power this Pokémon beholds under the terrain. The Focus Sash+Nasty Plot combination is fairly obvious as well as Psychic. Thunderbolt helps hit Yveltal specifically but does come in handy against other Dark-types as a solid offensive option and also hits Celesteela, and Dark Pulse hits the problematic Dusk Mane Necrozma should it present itself.

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Last, but certainly not least, we have Dusk Mane Necrozma. This Pokémon can act as a clutch switch-in to Rayquaza or opposing Dusk Manes while in Dusk Mane form, but it really shines (pun very much intended) when it bursts into Ultra Necrozma. In Psychic Terrain, a Photon Geyser, boosted or unboosted, deals a ton of damage to pretty much anything. Earthquake helps hit opposing Dusk Manes, Arceus-Steel, and Primal Groudon, and Outrage acts as a very solid STAB option to help hit Dark-types hard as well as Zygarde. Also, as with Tenta Webs, I have the double Z-Move option, this time with Ultra Necrozma and Naganadel, giving me more options to hit opposing Pokémon extremely hard.

Deoxys-Speed Hyper Offense teams can be problematic as Deoxys-Speed outspeeds Aerodactyl and Tapu Lele, making it hard for either Pokémon to Taunt it and keep rocks off the field. It's not as annoying as the next Pokémon on this list, but it's still a notable issue.
Smeargle is a very annoying Pokémon to deal with, as Nuzzle avoids Taunt, making it difficult for Aerodactyl and Tapu Lele to prevent hazards off, as well as the additional speed control that paralysis provides. The best way to deal with it, I think, is to break the Focus Sash as soon as you can and try your best to get Aerodactyl in at some point to Defog hazards away, even if it's paralyzed.
Specially Defensive Necrozma-Dusk-Mane is really problematic, as it easily tanks hits from both Deoxys and Naganadel at +2, and it's even bulky enough to tank physical hits from Ultra Necrozma and Mega Rayquaza. It makes it easy to set up Stealth Rocks and hinder my team's ability to perform optimally.
MDB annoyingly told me to add
Heatran to the threatlist, and I can't say he's wrong; it flat out walls Naganadel and resists pretty much everything my team has to offer barring
Earfquake, making it extremely annoying to face. Luckily it's not that common.
It shouldn't be that hard to see how Choice Scarf Yveltal is a problem; its Dark typing and its ability to be faster than my entire team makes it a huge threat and very hard to deal with. The best way to handle it is to ensure rocks get up on the opponent's side while utilizing Mega Rayquaza's Extreme Speed, Deoxys's Focus Sash, or Naganadel's Beast Boost.

Choice Scarf users in general are really annoying to deal with, due to their being able to outspeed my entire team. They're pretty much dealt with in the same way as Choice Scarf Yveltal, but they're still really tough to handle.

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Rock Tomb

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Tapu Lele @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Magic Coat

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse

Necrozma-Dusk-Mane @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Photon Geyser
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Satanic Beast - thanks for suggesting Defog on Aerodactyl; helped a ton
Lipise - poopsock
ADF Test - for being my pal
MDB - bitch
Skarpherim - easily the guy that's helped me the most at mons; you may have a big ass ego, but more mods need to follow your example and help people get better at the game

Thank you all for reading! I hope you enjoyed, and if you use this team ever, I hope you enjoy using it as much as I have. As always, I'm open to constructive criticism, but don't be an ass about it!

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm glad it's seeing a bit more traction on the ladder (because of my team maybe?), even if it's on those annoying Aerodactyl+Smeargle Webs teams.
I think I am probably the one to blame for that, Aero+Smeargle just too good :P
Deoxys-Speed Hyper Offense teams can be problematic as Deoxys-Speed outspeeds Aerodactyl and Tapu Lele, making it hard for either Pokémon to Taunt it and keep rocks off the field. It's not as annoying as the next Pokémon on this list, but it's still a notable issue.
I dont know why you are having big troubles with Deo-S? You can play around a little bit with Attack EVs on Aero to get the 3HKO a fair amount of times or go for the safe 4HKO.
252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 93-111 (30.5 - 36.5%) -- 57.6% chance to 3HKO
Usually you should have a good shot vs them by rock tombing since T1 they will either taunt, magic coat or set up Hazards/ Screens (Screens should not carry Magic Coat so you are safe there) and then you outspeed them T2 which will gurantee Taunt (if you are sure enough that they wont/dont have Coat) a second Rock Tomb (or Defog). From there you should usually end up with atleast no rocks up or aero not being taunted and sash intact. I will try to add a replay of me facing Deo-S with Aero but Imo Aero has the MU vs Deo-S.
PS: If I wanted to be chilidish I would go as far claiming you started using Aero after my use of Aero+Smeargle :P but I agree its an underrated lead so its cool to see another team utilizing it :)

EDIT: couldnt find a replay vs Deo-S but another proof that I steal all "my" good ideas from Arushi apparently lol https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-764101630

Last edited:
I think I am probably the one to blame for that, Aero+Smeargle just too good :P

I dont know why you are having big troubles with Deo-S? You can play around a little bit with Attack EVs on Aero to get the 3HKO a fair amount of times or go for the safe 4HKO.
252 Atk Aerodactyl Rock Tomb vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Deoxys-Speed: 93-111 (30.5 - 36.5%) -- 57.6% chance to 3HKO
Usually you should have a good shot vs them by rock tombing since T1 they will either taunt, magic coat or set up Hazards/ Screens (Screens should not carry Magic Coat so you are safe there) and then you outspeed them T2 which will gurantee Taunt (if you are sure enough that they wont/dont have Coat) a second Rock Tomb (or Defog). From there you should usually end up with atleast no rocks up or aero not being taunted and sash intact. I will try to add a replay of me facing Deo-S with Aero but Imo Aero has the MU vs Deo-S.
PS: If I wanted to be chilidish I would go as far claiming you started using Aero after my use of Aero+Smeargle :P but I agree its an underrated lead so its cool to see another team utilizing it :)
I'll just blame you for Smeargle+Aero everywhere then :p but either way I had seen your Aero team after I made mine, regardless of if you made it before me.
And as for Deo, idk, maybe I've been playing it wrong. We all know I'm bad at this point.

Also I have 5 songs/song links in this RMT. 4 of them are in the spoiler box near the top. If you can find the hidden fifth one I’ll give you a cookie

Sificon

I'm not here for your entertainment
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
nice team :D
I played a few games with it and had some great success. The only change I made was thunderbolt > Ice Beam on Deoxys. I changed that after getting destroyed by Celesteela twice in a row :d
(tbolt still hits Yveltal)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)