Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

So all the changes should hopefully cut down on lag as well since it sounds like it's decreasing memory usage right? Would be awesome if so.

But I like the changes so far, all sounds better. And it'll be nice to have actual lamps, mind you I think the whole fence/glowstone block/trapdoor thing has a cool vibe, but they do stick out a bit.

I wish they'd revamp redstone to be more...efficient I guess? As in it hides better (so you don't have to keep hiding stuff behind walls), can connect on/between more surfaces, won't fucking loop if put next to each other so you don't have to design lines with a block gap inbetween them which takes up more room, will auto connect to shit like pistons so you don't have to have a dedicated line sticking out of the back, etc.../rant

But yeah, if they don't have these new lamps compatible with redstone, bit sad, but it'll just be another candidate for an update likely.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Changing redstone function now would be really messy and could possibly break some creations. I would not be against new creations like the repeater which has allowed for smaller redstone designs, among other things.

Rocket Grunt

✁ - - - - - - - - - -
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Just wanted to share one of my latest creations, done with help of a friend:

We made the track floating in the sky (at y=120 iirc) and then added a black box around it to make it look like the space. We plut glowstone under the track which surprisingly lit it through the wool.
dude do you think we could build a smogcraft racetrack?
like, we could take elements from different mario kart levels
throw in some jumps, water hazards, soul sand obstacles, etc
then everybody drinks a speed potion
and does three laps or something
haha i dunno

The weekly snapshot is out: http://www.mojang.com/2012/02/15/minecraft-snapshot-12w07a/

List of changes:
  • Added new world file format called “Anvil” (256 max height and 4096 block IDs*)
  • Multi-player light calculations do no longer cause affected blocks to be transmitted to the clients, instead the clients will recalculate the light on their own
  • Villagers will repopulate villages based on how many houses there are available
  • Some nights in villages will be worse than others…
  • Added a redstone-controlled light source - http://imgur.com/20b7Q
  • Decreased chance for the rare mob drops
  • All animals use the new AI system now
* The game can’t use the full range of IDs yet because there are still some assumptions that IDs above 256 are items.

NOTE: This snapshot will convert the maps you load to the new file format. If you want to revert to the old format, you need to replace the “level.dat” file with the file called “level.dat_mcr”. The new format will write world regions to files called “*.mca”, so your original regions will remain as “*.mcr”.

12w07a...

Notable bugs:

[...]
Caves don't generate.
WTF.

Other than that, that Glow/Redstone Lamb looks really cool, it has exactly the texture I was hoping for!

When 1.2 is released, what exactly will happen to the smogcraft map? Will we eventually find a jungle by just walking far enough, generating new chunks?

I really hope all the annoying bugs are fixed in the full release of 1.2... I don't want any new chunks to be caveless, and I don't want my iron doors to be smashed to bits.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
not sure if i like the look of the lamps but they might grow on me

i love the idea of villagers repopulating the houses, and cannot help but find the thing about nights in villages a little eerie considering the idea i proposed a few days ago

not sure if i like the look of the lamps but they might grow on me

i love the idea of villagers repopulating the houses, and cannot help but find the thing about nights in villages a little eerie considering the idea i proposed a few days ago
There is always a texture pack AZ. Also, during the zombie/skelly village, what happens if we kill a villager? will we be penalized?

I agree I don't care for the lamp look much, when they said lamps I was honestly expecting...well a blocky lamp-like figure with a new model, not reskinned glowstone that just looks like someone already tossed on the trapdoors. But eh, I probably got my hopes up, this is minecraft after all...

Personally I dunno if I'll bother using them, sure the redstone connectivity is nice, but then you have to run wires and all sorts of stuff probably to turn it on (unless it's on by default somehow), and having a level or redstone torch sticking out of it otherwise is a bit unattractive.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think the lamps are more for lights in circuits and not just lighting, like a detector plate hooked up to a lamp so you know when a minecart is arriving/leaving, a light so you know when an item drops on a pressure plate, etc

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wouldn't count on that being any use, flounder; tennis is right

they don't give off light v_v

redstone torches are automatically in the on state when placed, lamps should have been the same so they're both aesthetic and functional.
I bet the redstone (if real) would have energy-giving compounds (for something like that) and naturally be powered, meanwhile, light bulbs don't.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
If this was real all of our creations would crumble since things don't just ignore physics in the real world...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)