Mirror Type

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-bw/mirrortype.shtml

Effect: It reflects your opponent's type and becomes the same type

Users: Staryu, Starmie, Mew, Latias

Well, I was looking around and noticed this. All in all there aren't many users of the move as you can see but the users aren't bad at all. Hopefully more pokemon will get the move in the future so more people are available.

But until then discuss the move and its uses!

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Yep, I just don't like that you lose your stabs :/

That's where I see the major problem here.
It seems to hurt you more than help you, in my opinion.
Losing your STAB attacks just isn't worth it, and its a huge waste of a moveslot- besides, a pokemon who has a desirable typing may not even come around, and then you'd be stuck with a useless move.

This reminded me of something...
When I was playing Pokemon Card GB, I noticed Venomoth's Pokemon Power (I think it was called Camouflage? Actually Shift) which changes Venomoth's type to that of another Pokemon in play (except colorless). Heather of the Grass Club uses a deck (aptly named the "Kaleidoscope" Deck) that revolves around changing her Pokemon's types. I did notice that if she retreated her Venomoth (it retreats freely) its type would revert to Grass upon retreat. I believe your type reverts to normal upon a switch (or U-turn or Volt Change, or Baton Pass).

Eh, I don't see much coming of this. Smeargle doesn't have the stats to use it, and both it and Starmie, Mew, and Latias have better things to do.

Well, it also brings the problem of facing the dual-typed foes. Does it copy both types or does it work like Camouflage, Conversion, Conversion 2 and only copy 1 type; if 1, then it makes it random on which type or does it chose the type-1 over type-2?

Say a Latias is facing Dialga, being faster Latias hopes to turn into a Steel type anticipating an Outrage or Draco Meteor. This could be useful if Latias becomes Steel, as Soul Dew would really work to make her take Draco Meteor's with ease, but if she turns pure Dragon, she wasted a turn, and used up a move to end up as a wasted slot on your team. I could see this working sometimes, but it relies on how this works, and whether you face the right type to begin with. Also, in my above example, what if Dialga is carrying Fire Blast, then Latias may need Kyogre support, etc.

Latias @ Life Orb(OU)
EVs: 6 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate

~ Mirror Type
~ Hidden Power [Fire]
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Surf/Calm Mind

Come in on something you can force out, use Mirror Type as Scizor/Tyranitar switches in, use HP Fire to kill Scizor or Surf to kill Tyranitar (or just switch). Surf is mainly for coverage with Dragon Pulse once you take out your counters while Calm Mind can allow Latias to sweep. Dragon and Fire is walled by Heatran and Blissey can simply Toxic you and stall you out, so you should pair it with a Pokemon that can take these Pokemon down.

Mirror Type allows you to do more than simply beat Scizor. For example, Empoleon would be able to take your attacks with relative ease and set up, but Mirror Type + Calm Mind allows you to easily set up on its attacks and eventually take it out.

This seems kind of pointless if you ask me.The drawback of loosing your Stab's is just too significant.You even waste a turn using this.

If you're Mew, do you really care about STAB?

It could be useful on him at least since it gets all TM access, but may as well just used Transform...

This seems kind of pointless if you ask me.The drawback of loosing your Stab's is just too significant.You even waste a turn using this.
It can ease prediction though. Latias can use it as Scizor/Tyranitar/(Pursuit user) switches in and get out if it needs to without taking much damage. You could argue that you might as well just use Substitute to ease prediction, but Mirror Type doesn't cost HP to use it.

Yes but wouldnt Substitute be better overall...I mean your opponent could switch to Blissey,Snorelax,,Jirachi or w\e really and if something random comes in this might actually be a hinderance for you so even if it costs 25% Hp i think sub would probably be a better choice.This move is gimmickly at best if you ask me.

Well this might be good for the same reason nobody uses Psychic attacks in Ubers, a lot of the best attack types are resisted by themselves and their own users.

Switch in Latias/etc when it can force something out, use Mirror Type and force your switchin out. Could be potent with hazards.

with this attack you could get yourself a "legit" wondertomb by using it on spiritomb or sableye, unfortunatly no pokemon so far that know this have the trace ability to copy wonder guard off shedinja.

I guess it could work on a Defensive set for any of those Pokemon. I agree with an above poster, that Offensive sets who focus on STAB would plain out lose them.

As far as I can tell the closest thing this move has to a use would be for Starmie to suddenly become an Electric-type (you'd still have a STAB), but you'd still be using up a turn taking a light hit and then trying to beat them with non-STAB moves. Also, it's not like you've set up for a sweep by suddenly becoming a weaker Raikou. There are better things do with a turn.

This would've worked a lot better on things that have good movepools (like Muk) but bad typing. Imagine a Dragon-type Cursing Muk? Sure you lose STAB but you'd be nearly impossible to kill unless they're firing off Specs STAB Ice Beams or Draco Meteors. >___>

It could be used somewhat effectively on starmie against water/ground types if it carries thunderbolt and not grass knot, but there probably won't be a good time to set it up.

Can this move target an ally in Doubles/Triples?

Better suited to Rotations?
I don't see why it couldn't. Latias could possibly use it on an Electric type to give it no weaknesses, thanks to Levitater, and use its new STAB Thunderbolt. It's probably better off just attacking the opponent, though, and the same goes for Starmie. Mew has much better things to do.

I'm not sure where you're going with Rotation Battles. You wouldn't be able to target your allies with it. I think you'd keep the type you copied if you rotated out, if that's what you're getting at.

...hm... what about Mirror Type combined with Me First? I think Mew is the only one that learns both of those, but at least it'd be a way to almost guarantee getting some kind of STAB. :0 Then again, more likely than not, it'll just be a waste of a turn and a moveslot.

...hm... what about Mirror Type combined with Me First? I think Mew is the only one that learns both of those, but at least it'd be a way to almost guarantee getting some kind of STAB. :0 Then again, more likely than not, it'll just be a waste of a turn and a moveslot.
Better yet, it use whatever move does the most damage to your opponent, since you're the same type. Still, Mew has better things to be doing.

Okay, did a few quick tests. Against a Kurumiru, I used Mirror Type and it used Bug Bite. Its primary type is Bug, but the attack was super effective. In another battle against a Fushide, I used Mirror Type, and Fushide used Poison Sting which wasn't very effective, and Fushide's first type is Bug which is neutral to Poison. I did this three times, by the way, and all three of those times the results were consistent, but maybe I got lucky, who knows...and finally, against a Shinpora, I used Mirror Type, and it used Psybeam which wasn't very effective, and its primary type is Psychic.

It's looking pretty possible that it copies both types, but can't say for certain. I hope this is the case, though, because it doesn't actually tell you what type you turned into, just says, "X took on Y's typing!" give or take. If only I could find a Rollout Fushide...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)