Mixed Sweeping Team from HGSS

Hi, i am DL, and this is my first competitive team. The team is mostly a combo of Special and Physical sweepers with a few other pokemon thrown in.

Bold Forretress @Custap Berry
Sp.Def 244/ Def 248
-Explosion
-Toxic Spikes
-Spikes
-Stealth Rock

While most people use Forretress as a rapid spinner, i prefer using him to set up Spikes, T.Spikes and Stealth Rock. Once he is down to 20% health, i will activate Explosion, and will always attack first due to Custap Berry.Or i will use Explosion when he has set up his limit of spikes.

Docile Typhlosion @Choice Specs
Sp.Atk 255/ Sp.Def 132/ Speed 120
-Flamethrower
-Eruption
-Hyper Beam
-Focus Blast

Typhlosion is my first special sweeper. Taking advantage of the foe's lowered health (either due to Forretresse's Explosion, or Spikes,T.Spikes etc) Typhlosion will use Eruption. Eruption usually OHKOs most non-water or rock types. If i am faced with a rock type, i would switch out, then switch back in again, using Focus Blast. With water types, i would switch out then back in again for a Hyper Beam.

Rash Gengar @Black Belt
Sp.Atk 255/ Speed 255
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic
-Dark Pulse
-Destiny Bond

Gengar is there to destroy other Gengars. And yes, i used all the EVs and IVs etc on Sp.Atk and Speed, because if your opponent has fainted before they can get a move in, they dont get a chance to hit Gengar with what would be a truly devastating move. If i come up against an opponent who has a faster pokemon, or a pokemon that Gengar cant OHKO (in other words, Blissey 9_9) i can continuely use Destiny Bond. Destiny Bond carries on until you use another move, so it can be really useful against sweepers like Metagross if your other pokemon cant take 'em out.

Lonely Rhyperior @Life Orb/Choice Band
Atk 220/ Sp.Def 228
-Hammer Arm
-Avalanche
-Earthquake
-Rock Wrecker

Rhyperior is a Physical sweeper. My rhyperior is designed to be the purge of Tyranitors (since it can switch into a sandstorm) and Flying types of all shapes and sizes. Apart from Garyados, he can OHKO many flying types because of Choice Band/Life Orb and ridiculously high Attack. it should be able to withstand some water pulses because of it's Sp.Def, but i doubt it could survive even a bubble attack :L

Sassy Gallade @Life Orb/Choice Band
Atk 255/ Def 108/ Sp.Def 144
-Leaf Blade
-Zen Headbutt
-Close Combat
-Stone Edge

Gallade is a glass cannon. He is designed to massive damage in singal hits, and i would actually rather have him have higher speed than D/Sp.D, but needs must and all that stuff. Leaf Blade is designed to take out any Poliwraths or Politoeds, or do some damage to *gulp* Kyogre. The other moves are their to remove threats from Gallade's path.

Quirky Scizor @Focus Sash
Def 116/Sp.Def 136/Speed 255
-Swords Dance
-Agility/Iron Defence
-Toxic
-Baton Pass

:pimp:<--(The Phantom) 'Their are two types of Scizor in this world! Those who go for all out Bullet Punch, and those who go for a Baton Pass. I couldnt care less'
This Scizor is option number two. Scizors main objective in life is to Baton Pass it's Swords Dance, Agility or Iron Defence, or Toxic some Blisseys or Kyogres.

As you can see, this team is formed of two sides. The bug types, then everyone else. The Bugs (i.e. Forretress and Scizor) are set ups, while the rest of the team Sweep up afterwards ;) But the team is quite fragile, and i dont advise using the bugs in a Double Battle. Please remember this is my first competitive team.

Rash Gengar @Black Belt
Sp.Atk 255/ Speed 255
-Shadow Ball
-Psychic
-Dark Pulse
-Destiny Bond

Gengar is there to destroy other Gengars. And yes, i used all the EVs and IVs etc on Sp.Atk and Speed
You do know that EV's only add whole stat points right? That means that those extra 3 EV's on S.A. and Spe don't actually do anything. It doesn't make a huge difference but you might as well put them into HP, Def, or Sp.D. You should always stop at 252 EV's in a single stat.

You also have 3 pokemon with x4 weaknesses. Rhyperior has two, and Forry and Scizor both are x4 weak against fire. You don't have any watet resistances either. You may want a Vaporeon for that.

I'd also recommend getting rid of Typhlosion and maybe Gallade as there are better pokemon for the job. Hyper Beam is generally a bad idea in competitive battling anyway. I don't know what tier you would be using this team, because it looks like an OU team, but you mentioned Kyogre; so I'm lost. Assuming you would use it for OU, I would recommend a Heatran over Typhlosion. He could also provide a Fire type immunity as well as some bulkiness which is needed.

Gallade is nowhere near the speed needed for a glass cannon; especially with no Spe EV's. One of my favorite glass cannons is Aerodactyl. It has great coverage with E.Quake/Stone Edge/Pursuit or Crunch/Aerial Ace.

So I would change the team to Forry, Heatran, Scizor, Vaporeon, Gengar, Aerodactyl.

As a final comment: You probably should use so many choice items. It's too restricting, especially if you are baton passing boosts. Try life orb or an expert belt. Try lefties for the bulkier ones.

Yeah, i had been rather regretting putting all the EVs into buffing Gallades alredy buffed Sp.Defense :L I will switch Gallade and Rhyperior though, because i see your point.

Anyway, this team probably is OU, its just us brits have a mini VGC coming up, and i didnt want to post this team there, mainly beacuse those where all BW teams.

Your natures and EV spreads should be very different. Forretress should be Impish, Typhlosion should be Timid/Modest, Gallade should be Adamant/Jolly (and have an EV spread of 252 Att/252 Spd), Gengar should be Timid (if you're so bothered about outspeeding stuff - remember my lucario was faster?), Rhyperior should be Adamant and Scizor should be Careful/Impish. Also, the team changes suggested by LPSlashLP should be taken into account. Try these:

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Bold: 252 HP/232 Def/24 Sp At
-Boil Over (Surf if you're playing 4th gen)
-Toxic
-Wish
-Heal Bell/Ice Beam/Protect
Vaporeon's healing ability + water checking would be great for your team. It would be a counter to so many things, but more to the point, it takes on the gaping water weakness in your team.

Heatran @ Balloon/Shuca Berry
Modest: 252 Sp At/208 Spd/22 Def/22 Sp Df
-Nitro Charge (Taunt)
-Earth Power
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Pulse
Heatran gives your team a hope against the likes of Starmie/Doryuzu. After a Nitro Charge, Heatran gets up to a respectable 363 speed, allowing it to outspeed - well, just about anything common. Fire Blast and Dragon Pulse give Heatran nearly unresisted coverage, and Earth Power hurts the only thing that resists it - itself.

As for Aerodactyl, I would say to have Flygon/Garchomp instead. They're both incredible sweepers, and give your team an immunity to Electric at the same time (Flygon even goes as far as to have an immunity to Ground as well).
And one last thing, Bullet Punch > Toxic on Scizor. This allows him to function as a revenge killer as well as preventing him from becoming set-up/Taunt bait. Thus his ability should be Technician.

What about giving Heatran Dark pulse for morer coverage? and anyway, the reason your lucario was faster was because my Gengar had low speed due to training at Mt.Silver.

Dark Pulse is no good on Heatran - not really. Fire Blast and Dragon Pulse give you all the coverage you'll need and Nitro Charge is seriously good. Trust me on this.

and anyway, the reason your lucario was faster was because my Gengar had low speed due to training at Mt.Silver.
That was because I properly EV train. Maybe you should find pokemon that raise speed EVs and not just go to Mt. Silver.

Seriously, how hard can it be? There's articles everywhere, probably even in Smogon itself. There's definately one in Serebii though. If you want to stand a chance in Reading, let alone the nationals, you'd better start learning to EV train.

Though blunt, Fantom0 is definately right. EV training isn't easy to do but if you want to do well you have to put in the effort (hence Effort Value... hehe). In competitive battling, Level training always comes after EV training. There are some things that help EV training to go faster (i.e. Pokerus, Macho Brace, Power Items, Vitamins).

Try this: http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ev_manual

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)