MLP: FiM

Before you hate, I should tell you that it's actually good.

Anyways. Opinions on this show? Favourite character? What do you look fowards to seeing in season 2?

I personally like Rainbow Dash because... RAINBOW DASH. Twilight Sparkle is likable as well, mostly because I have a similar personality to her. Pinkie Pie and Flutterguy are tied for just being awesome. I like Apple Jack, but we have so many other characters that it's hard fitting her on my list. I dislike Rarity. Then again, no one likes Rarity.

Edit: And yes, I will eventually get around to making a better post. I just got a lot of stuff to do atm.

You have done a fantastic job of actually explaining the show.

To those that think OP is retarded, and many of you probably do, you should take a few minutes and read an article on the show. For those of you thinking "tl; dr" I'll summarize it:

Pros
Excellent animation
Developed by Lauren Faust, major contributor to Foster's Home and Powerpuff Girls (admittedly my "guilty pleasure" as a kid) who also knows and gives a fuck about the older demographic
Actual character development; characters aren't "one trick ponies" (pardon the pun)
22 minute episodes (gives more time for character/plot development)
Good humor that isn't cynical like a lot of cult cartoons from back in the day

Cons
People on the internet might call you a queer
It is a little kid's show
4chan likes it (the big one)

I don't expect anyone to really be sold to watch the show based on one post. In fact, the only reason I ever watched an episode was because I wanted to make fun of it, until I learned that it was actually pretty good. I would recommend watching an episode to anyone, even if they don't give a flying fuck about it.

Episode choices:
Pretty good one all around
This one made me cry I must be a (BAN ME PLEASE) or something
Dragons be here
The pilot (not as good as most of them)

Unless you're insecure about your manhood or an arrogant bastard that doesn't give a shit you don't have much to lose aside from 22 minutes of your life.

As much as I like the show I've the feeling that this thread's going to crash and burn rather quickly.

But yeah it's a good show. Yes it's for little kids but Faust (who worked on Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends by the way) puts a great deal of work into it and recognizes and regularly interacts with the older periphery demographic. It's funny, well written, enjoyable to watch. Give it a shot, if it's not your speed, whatever. Don't hurt.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
just got done watching it its pretty fucking horrible not gonna lie

The animation was good but it doesnt change the fact that the concept itself is horrible and not funny at all. seriously killah you post in the nfl thread this is just pathetic of you

Ponies aren't for everyone man. Personally, I tried giving it a shot, and finding that I could barely stand it, only to come back to it about a month later and love it.

If you actually are going to try and watch this though watch the pilot episodes first. It gives you some background on the characters and if you can appreciate everything else despite the fact that it's obviously targeted towards kids you'll appreciate the next episodes a lot more, because they honestly get far less centered on the morals and trying to explain things to kids, and becomes more like just a cartoon...? IDK it just gets better and you can enjoy them if you've watched the pilot

Also the voice acting is pretty great, and it's nice to see little bits of humor and references thrown in to an older audience

Mostly though the show has a sort of "je ne sais quoi" that you sort of have to watch to experience

e: TIK how could you finish watching an episode in 10 mins? come on if you're going to trash this thing at least watch one episode so you at least have some ground to stand on

Personally I wouldn't start with the pilot as I think it's pretty weak. Yes it provides backstory but honestly had I started with it I'd be like, "what is this bullshit" and probably would have dropped it. I think Dragonshy and Bridle Gossip are pretty good episodes to start off on.

I'm just saying what worked for me; I started with Griffon the Brush Off and it honestly didn't gel with me despite the loony toons reference

also before (if) this gets locked I want to mention that there's some pretty great fan content out there if you can look past some of the more "shady" stuff

tape

i woke up in a new bugatti
So I heard there's a male pony named Dr. Whooves. Who travels through time.

hahahahahahahahah, I'm seriously wondering if this thread'll go anywhere.

I honestly watched the first episode or some random eps that were a little boring. I got into it later when I watched some "later" episodes. Honestly, average episode quality can vary a lot but the good parts of this show are amazing. They seriously put effort into this one guys and I think they did a great job. Not that it's all great, some eps are incredibly dull and some people just will never like the show, as I said episode quality varies.

Also I must honestly say, that I did not like the Dragonshy episode the first time I watched it. It's got some great parts heck, probably all the episodes do but a lot of it was fluttershy dicking around and then she magically saves the day at the end out of fucking nowhere. It is never explained how she does this until much later in the season.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the finale as one would expect its fantastic. Unfortunately, I really have no idea what the best episode is offhand. In terms of characters, I recommend Pinkie Pie in general. Despite what the OP says, Rarity is likeable, she's just very bluntly the girliest of the bunch and honestly all the main characters are good (though both Fluttershy episodes are bad.) What I really hate is the CMCs, I hate their episodes, they're more annoying than anything else though I loved the one where we learned main character back-stories.

does this topic allow fanvideos? Cause Winter Wrap Up (which has great music, good implied moral) really reminds me of something.
Random video links:
Best part of Fluttershy in episode 20.

Sonic Rainboom for no reason at all. Rate now! Features fluttershy action at the very beginning and the amazing ohmygoshohmygosh at the end. And I laughed when Sonic Rainboom happened because it was so corny.

Background stories for the main characters. If you MUST know about the characters watch this instead of the bland pilot. I honestly love Pinkie Pie's story because it's hilarious. Also my destiny line is delivered geniously. Nonetheless, be warned that whoever wrote this had a massive boner for Rainbow Dash. Then again these episodes aren't for new people are they? damn, why must the pilot suck so much.

A Dog and Pony show honestly isn't that funny unfortunately but manly spike and whining is awesome. Why am I even leaving this here, it's not that good.

At first glance I thought it was a game, was more convinced with "RAINBOW DASH", and I thought of a game similar to that robot unicorn.

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I always thought people were trolling when they talked about liking this show, but now I just don't know anymore...

AJers

Your typical e-wench
In all honesty, I am old enough to have been a semi-fan of MLP as a kid (I loved going to the doctors because he'd always play a video for me when I got there) and still own some of the old vhs and re-distributed DVD's, but yeah. I hate change, so I know I'll hate the show just based off of the cosmetic differences between them. :P

Plus, even the old shows that I used to *love*, I'll only watch when I'm babysitting (or little kids are around) and it's pre-bedtime. I really do hate a lot of the current popular cartoons targeted at kids, so I tend to steer away from letting my nephews/kids under my supervision watch toons on cartoon network and stuff. (yeah, old fashioned... haha) I can see myself getting back into MLP or Carebears (or other nostalgic cartoons) if I had a full-time babysitting job, but otherwise I just don't see it happening... :P

On the other hand, my sister Karen was a complete spazz (every gift she got for like 4 years straight was MLP related) for MLP when she was a kid, so she may be more of the target "adult" audience. :)

Personally I can't stand any MLP before the current gen but to each his own I guess. You should at least give it a shot, as it's a good cartoon in its own right.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
excellent animation my ass

these ponies walk like at-ats

what was this shit done in, flash?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)