SM OU MMetagross Koko Bulky Offense

Hey everyone! I'm Vermillior and it's my first time posting a team here. I've been playing the OU tier casually since late ORAS. I'd say I reached decent building skills for ORAS but feel a bit lost in this new metagame, so any help is greatly appreciated!​

So on to the team...

The main idea I had in mind for the team was creating a Bulky Offense team with Metagross as it's centre, and I thought the best way to use that mon was to have a solid VoltTurn core with some defensive pivots to maximize its potential. Having that in mind, I started building with Metagross + Koko because I wanted to try tihs Tapu, since I had not used it before, and I also thought they formed quite a good offensive core.

Great gig in the sky (Tapu Koko) @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- U-turn

Tapu Koko was Metagross's favourite partner while testing this team. It provided the team such a big momentum swing, letting me have control for most of the game, which opened up the offensive members of the team to break the enemy's mons. The set is a pretty standard one. Didn't want to use Life Orb since I really dislike how volatile Koko becomes with it and also did not want to use Roost. Early game I just click Volt Switch or U-turn if the enemy has a electric immunty, and can also function as a late game cleaner if its checks are removed. The Electric STABs proved to be really good when needing to break through some mons that otherwise become a defensive problem for the team (namely Celesteela and Toxapex).

Time (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Metagross was the other part of the core. I already enjoyed this mons playstyle in ORAS and now that it's absolutely busted I thought "why not". Metagross acts as the main wallbreaker on the team, and fulfills its duty exceptionally well. As the heavy hitter on the VoltTurn core, I tend to play conservatively with it, bring it in safely. However, it can also come in on some resisted attacks if necessary, and can become a late game sweeper.

The most notable thing about the set is the move choice. Mash and Zen were obvious choices since the team benefited from being able to deal heavy damage to Fairy and Poison types. EQ's main purpose was to improve the matchup against opposing Metagross and surprising some Electric types. Ice Punch has proven to be a move worth using, being able to catch on the switch some mons that are 4x weak to it, like Lando or Garchomp. T-Punch didn't seem necessary having Koko, and I also didn't need Hammer Arm.

Us and Them (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 24 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Lando completed the VoltTurn core that I intended to build the team around. It seemed like a great fit, being able to come in on some physical attacks and pivoting out into another mon. It's also the team's rocker and performs that task very well.

About the set, I decided to sacrifize Stone Edge in favour of HP Ice to improve the matchup against opposing Landos, mainly SD+RP variants which prove to be hard to deal with, plus can also surprise some mons when they think they can come in for free on Lando. EVs are the standard ones, with a small increase to its speed to be able to speed creep Finis running 68 Speed.

Breathe in the air (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Fini seemed like another great addition to the defensive aspect of the team. I chose Fini for its incredibly reliable Defog support, as well as for its overall great bulk and exceptional defensive typing. It also helps the team deal with bulkier teams through Taunt + Nature's Madness.

Standard support set and standard spread to maximize bulk apart from the 68 Speed EVs to outpace the most common Defensive Lando spread.

Eclipse (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Outrage

Scarf Garchomp was the first glue to the team. The main purpose of adding him was to take care of weakened Tapus while also helping against some of the more offensive mons. Can also act as a late game cleaner with Outrage spam if it's needed.

Comfortably Numb (Marowak-Alola) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

The final mon of the team was Marowak-Alola. Marowak takes care of Pheromosas, who otherwise prove to be a major nuisance if the enemy player uses it correctly, as it can remove my momentum of the game and deal heavy damage to every mon on my team, depending on what moves they're packing. It also deals some respectable damage, which sometimes is greatly appreciated. Wisp is there to surprise some mons that may think Marowak is a free switch-in, significantly hindering their usefulness.

Thanks for taking a look at the team! :) Every suggestion and constructive criticism is much appreciated!!

Last edited:

GunGunJ

El patrón del mal
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Before anything sorry about my english

Hi, wasup. I like the team but you can fix some things to make It better. For example, you are very weak to Celestela (you only way to beat It is Koko and It doesnt switchs ins to Cele) and opposing Tapu Koko (for some reason Marowak doesnt have Rod). So these are the changes that You can make:

1- Excadrill - > Fini: SpD Excadrill shots down Tapu Koko, can take some Lele's attacks and It is a good Rock setter and a good spinner.

2-Lando Scarf > Def Lando: with Excadrill you dont need Lando with rocks, so you can use It Scarf, in that way you have a good revenge killer and a excelent late game sweeper.

3-Tornadus-T - - - > Marowak: AV Torn can take Phero's attacks, can generate momentum, can Knock Off the opposing Pokémon item and in this way open the door for Gross.

4-SD Chomp > Scarf: Doing this you have a weird way to kill Celestela, and pressure a lot defensive teams. Also you check Pokémon such as Scizor and Ferothorn, which can be a pain in the ass.

5-if you want you can use Roost over Volt Switch in Koko (if Dugtrio gets banned over Uturn), so in that way Koko can "switch in" to Celestela (It is Not 100% safately cuz EQ, but nobody uses it)

Remember when making a RMT put the team's threats and a better explanation of the teambuilding.

I hope this helps you! HF!

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey Vermillior ,

cool team, and i like how you try to pressure a lot of metagross's checks with the volt turn core, and the team in general. one thing i have noticed about is its overreliance on meta, as it can often get overloaded checking both bulu and lele. av tang can be annoying, if it can pressure a wak with knock / eq , weakening meta down even more. volcarona can be annoying since you dont have a rock move on your garchomp, and no attack invested wak can not kill back.

first off, i would like to recommend running av
(magnezone) >
(marowak alola) . av mag primarily does what wak does in punishing fat steels which like to switch into meta and koko, by trapping ferrothorn. and also helps with other meta checks like mega scizor and spd steela. it also helps with tapu lele, which can help keep metagross healthy to deal with other threats that it is checking, like tapu bulu. it still helps with tapu koko but it also helps with locked cb bulu as well, but a lot of them tend to carry the sd all out pummeling set. this change does make you weaker to pheromosa and grasses like av tangrowth, which are now much more threatening.

my next recommendation would be to run stone edge > poison jab on garchomp. stone edge hits volcarona after a qd, and also guarantees the ohko on flynium z gyarados after rocks, which would otherwise set up on stuff like rona and lando, and by not getting the ko you would run in the risk of being killed, and losing your primary revenge killer. bulu does get more annoying but having rona really helps with it.

next off, i would like to recommend running a brave bird koko set > volt switch with an expert belt > zap plate koko. brave bird helps 2hko bulu, giving another way to lure it in, and also helps by pressuring tangrowth, forcing it to switch out, and not letting it mindlessly come in to get regenerator for all its hp. expert belt helps guarantee the 2hko on tangrowth, mega venusaur, and amoonguss, while not getting chipped too quickly from life orb recoil. though the loss of volt switch as a pivoting move isnt ideal here, but another way to pick off grasses after the loss of a wak.

i would then recommend a bullet punch mega metagross set > zen headbutt. BP helps with Pheromosa, and gives some useful priority for the team. this also can be used to pick off weakened pokemon and clean. this does make mega venusaur more annoying, but brave bird on koko tends to help with that. additionally, while clicking meteor mash vs m venu isnt ideal, you can still fish for the attack boosts or pp stall synthesis.

Mega Metagross and Stall are still very annoying for the team. You can try to use Tapu Fini to pressure stall, as I had mentioned above, and chip Chansey with Tapu Koko. You can offensively pressure Metagross, and try to reduce its switch ins, as it can not really come against the team for free. Assault Vest Tangrowth is the most annoying mon for this team to face, but every Pokemon it tries to come in on can chip it and make it lose more HP than it can get from Regenerator , and maintaining hazard pressure and offensive pressure also helps with it, while trying to force it out with Metagross, which you should try to keep healthy.

Eclipse (Garchomp) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge
- Outrage

Breathe in the air (Tapu Fini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 16 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Nature's Madness
- Taunt
- Defog

Us and Them (Landorus-Therian) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 24 SpD / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Great gig in the sky (Tapu Koko) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Electric Surge
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Brave Bird
- U-turn

Time (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 112 SpA / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Last edited:
Hey Vermillior, nice team, but there are a few weakness that I will try to fix to make your team better against those threats, so you struggle less against them. First of all I recommend changing Marowak's set to a Swords Dance, and also the spread making it an offensive variant, with adamant nature and this spread, so you outspeed Clefable avoiding the risk of Knock Off and Skarmory EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd, which threats stall teams alot, having a better matchup against them, which your team struggle if you don't use Alolan Marowak properly, and it still checks Mosa. As a major changes, I suggest you Assault Vest Tangrowth over Tapu Fini, as less passive water check, but it also helps against Specs Ash Greninja. Another change is Scarf Keldeo over Scarf Garchomp, because it's rendundant having 2 Ice weakness, and also it doesn't help that water weakness that you might have, because you can't rely on Tapu Fini for too much. Scarf Keldeo works as better Scarfer, because it can help in late game, and with Stone Edge as "tech" it helps vs Volcarona as well, Scarf Keldeo is an offensive water check that works well with Tangrowth as well. As last small change I recommend Z- Fly, because it helps more against other Tangrowth that can be annoying, because it checks most of the team, and Landorus-T in general is a more offensive pressure. I hope this helped, gl.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Naive Nature
- Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Fly
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not a full rate here just a small suggestion. To take full advantage of Tapu Koko's Electric Terrain, you could run Thunder Punch on Mega Metagross. This is a pretty powerful combo against some stall teams as well, since they rely on Skarmory to wall Metagross.

Edit: also please run Lightning Rod on Marowak

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)