VGC 21 Moltres-Galar

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Galarian Moltres's access to Nasty Plot, a boosting ability in Berserk, and a powerful Max Airstream make it a threat in the metagame. Max Airstream and Max Darkness are a powerful combination that boosts your Speed and lowers your foe's Special Defense, meaning that Galarian Moltres becomes more dangerous every turn. It also performs incredibly well against Calyrex-S, Rillaboom, and Kartana, resisting most of their moves and dealing serious damage with its own. However, it is often too reliant on Nasty Plot and Berserk boosts to deal serious damage, meaning it struggles against Eerie Impulse Porygon2 and Snarl users like Incineroar. Galarian Moltres's typing also exposes it to common threats such as Regieleki, Thundurus, and Calyrex-I.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Fiery Wrath
move 2: Air Slash / Hurricane
move 3: Nasty Plot
move 4: Protect
item: Safety Goggles / Life Orb / Weakness Policy
ability: Berserk
nature: Timid / Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

* Fiery Wrath hits Psychic-types like Indeedee-F, Solgaleo and Calyrex-S and has a useful 20% flinching chance. Max Darkness is really useful to lower foes' Special Defense and threaten them even more when Dynamaxed.

* Air Slash hits threats like Venusaur, Urshifu-S and Rillaboom and allows Galarian Moltres to make up for its below average Speed, providing Speed boosts to it and its partner with Max Airstream while Dynamaxed. Hurricane can be used over Air Slash to get more power while sacrificing accuracy.

* Nasty Plot combined with Berserk allows Galarian Moltres to quickly boost its Special Attack and become a threatening offensive presence, capable of quickly sweeping its foes.

* Safety Goggles lets Galarian Moltres ignore Venusaur's and Amoonguss's powder moves. Alternatively Life Orb instantly boosts Galarian Moltres's damage output and reduces its reliance on Nasty Plot, whereas Weakness Policy can be used to provide even more stat boosting on bulkier spreads.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt can be used over Protect to stop Porygon2 from using Trick Room or Eerie Impulse, but Protect is often preferred to preserve Galarian Moltres's longevity. Psychic Seed can be used alongside Indeedee-F to boost Galarian Moltres's already high Special Defense in order to safely set up Nasty Plot, while Sitrus Berry is useful for potentially allowing Berserk to activate a second time.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Giokio, 517038]]
- Quality checked by: [[zeefable, 501951], [Piley, 493619]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Rabia, 336073]]

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good on a first glance, imo don't mention psychic seed since it's too dependent on indeedee which it isn't that commonly paired with. 252 spatk 252 speed is pretty solid and the goal of analyses is to be as standard as possible so I'd probably suggest switching the ev spread to that (variations of modest/timid 252 make up a little over 45% of moltres spreads right now).

hurricane should be slashed with air slash bc a lot of times you are fine with the power / accuracy trade. would probably also move life orb to the main set as well. only other option should be taunt (unless you wanna move the psychic seed mention here which i would be okay with)

Last edited:

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
looks good on a first glance, imo don't mention psychic seed since it's too dependent on indeedee which it isn't that commonly paired with. 252 spatk 252 speed is pretty solid and the goal of analyses is to be as standard as possible so I'd probably suggest switching the ev spread to that (variations of modest/timid 252 make up a little over 45% of moltres spreads right now).

hurricane should be slashed with air slash bc a lot of times you are fine with the power / accuracy trade. would probably also move life orb to the main set as well. only other option should be taunt (unless you wanna move the psychic seed mention here which i would be okay with)
Allright

add remove (comment)
[OVERVIEW]

With the advent of Yveltal, Moltres-Galar lost his primate in terms of damage, but its Galarian Moltres's access to Nasty Plot, a boosting ability in Berserk, and a powerful Max Airstream still make it a threat in the metagame. Max Airstream + Max Darkness is a powerful combo that boosts your Speed and lowers opponent's Special defense, meaning that Moltres-Galar becomes more dangerous every turn. (Add a sentence here about being a great offensive threat to Calyrex-S, Rillaboom, and Kartana) However it is often too reliant on Nasty Plot and Berserk boosts to deal serious damage when dynamaxed, meaning it struggles against Aerie Impulse Porygon 2 and Snarl users like Incineroar, that also resists his Dark STAB. Its typing, despite being really good offensively, threatening Calyrex-S and Venusaur, exposes him to other metagame staples like Regieleki, Glastrier, and Thundurus.

[SET]
item: Safety Goggles / Sitrus Berry / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]

* Fiery Wrath is Moltres-Galar's most trusted STAB, a powerful spread move that hits Psychic Types like Indedee-F, Solgaleo and Metagross, ad can hevily threathen Calyrex-Ghost and Necrozma Dawn Wings. Its 20% flinching chance is also worth noting. Max darkness is really useful to lower opponents's SpD and threaten opponents even more when Dynamaxed. (Please double check your spelling here, there's a few typos)

* Air Slash is its secondary STAB that hits threats like Venusaur, Urshifu-S and Rillaboom. It also allows it make up for his below average Speed when Dynamaxed, providing speed boosts to it an its partner thanks to Max Airstream. Hurricane can be used over Air Slash to get more power while sacrificing accuracy.

* Nasty Plot combined with Berserk allows Galarian Moltres to quickly boost its Special Attack and become a threatening offensive presence, capable of quickly sweeping its foes. boosts Moltres-Galar's Special Attack that, added to Berserk boost, lets it Snowball easily. It's almost mandatory to use because otherwise it won't hit harder enough through the game. (Good thought here I'm just rewording it slightly)

* Moltres-Galar is much versatile in terms of Items, It can run Safety Goggles to improve matchups against Venusaur and Amoonguss, Venu-Don cores, Sitrus Berry to get a double boost with Berserk and a recovery source, Life Orb to get an instant boost in damage, and even Weakness Policy if you don’t need to give it to your Uber can be used for even more stat boosting. (Let's keep the item mentions to 3 at the most, I think you can move one of weakness policy and sitrus berry to other options)

* Even Moltres-Galar's spreads are highly customizable, the given EVs in this set make sure it can hit as hard and fast as possible, but its spreads are often built around the team it is in, for example more bulk to be more consistent. (Gonna say we can cut this out entirely, 252/252 doesn't need explaining & it's pretty obvious you can modify EV spreads to your needs)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Psychic Seed can be used alongside Indeedee to boost Moltres-Galar's already high Special Defense even more in order to setup without worrying.
Taunt can be used over Protect to stop a Porygon2 form using Trick Room or Aerie Impulse, but Protect is often preferred. (Switch the order of these)

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]
sorry I should've told you sooner but I forgot when looking at this at 4 am: replace all "moltres-galar" mentions with "galarian moltres". let me know when done and I'll take a second look!

be sure to check out the spelling and grammar standards when revising: stats/moves/etc are fully spelled out and capitalized

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
add remove (comment)

sorry I should've told you sooner but I forgot when looking at this at 4 am: replace all "moltres-galar" mentions with "galarian moltres". let me know when done and I'll take a second look!

be sure to check out the spelling and grammar standards when revising: stats/moves/etc are fully spelled out and capitalized
implemented

[OVERVIEW]

Galarian Moltres's access to Nasty Plot, a boosting ability in Berserk, and a powerful Max Airstream make it a threat in the metagame. Max Airstream + and Max Darkness is a powerful combo that boosts your Speed and lowers opponent's Special defense, meaning that Galarian Moltres becomes more dangerous every turn. It performs incredibly well against Calyrex-S, Rillaboom and Kartana, resisting all their STABs and dealing serious damage with its own. However it is often too reliant on Nasty Plot and Berserk boosts to deal serious damage when Dynamaxed, meaning it struggles against AEerie Impulse Porygon2 and Snarl users like Incineroar, that also resists his Dark STAB. Its typing, despite being really good offensively, threatening Calyrex-S and Venusaur, exposes him to other metagame staples like Regieleki, Glastrier, and Thundurus. Galarian Moltres's typing also exposes it to common threats such as Regieleki, Thundurus, and Calyrex-I.

[SET]
item: Safety Goggles / Sitrus Berry / Life Orb Life Orb / Sitrus Berry

[SET COMMENTS]

* Fiery Wrath is Galarian Moltres's most trusted STAB, a powerful spread move that hits Psychic Types like Indedee-F, Solgaleo and Metagross, and can heavily threaten Calyrex-S and Necrozma Dawn Wings. Its 20% flinching chance is also worth noting. Max Darkness is really useful to lower opponents's Special Defense and threaten opponents even more when Dynamaxed.

* Air Slash is its secondary STAB that hits threats like Venusaur, Urshifu-S and Rillaboom. It also allows it make up for his below average Speed when Dynamaxed, providing speed boosts to it an its partner thanks to Max Airstream. Hurricane can be used over Air Slash to get more power while sacrificing accuracy.

* Nasty Plot combined with Berserk allows Galarian Moltres to quickly boost its Special Attack and become a threatening offensive presence, capable of quickly sweeping its foes.

* Galarian Moltres is much versatile in terms of Items, It can run Safety Goggles lets Galarian Moltres effectively ignore to improve its matchups against Venusaur and Amoonguss's sleep moves. Sitrus Berry to get a double boost with Berserk and a recovery source, and Life Orb to get an instant boost in damage. Life Orb allows Moltres to instantly boost its damage output without reliance on Nasty Plot, and Sitrus Berry is useful for potentially allowing Berserk to activate a second time.

(This paragraph was fine I'm just doing some rewording to make things more clear)
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt can be used over Protect to stop a Porygon2 form using Trick Room or Aerie Impulse, but Protect is often preferred to preserve Moltres's longevity. Psychic Seed can be used alongside Indeedee-F to boost Galarian Moltres's already high Special Defense even more in order to setup without worrying in order to safely set up Nasty Plot, while. (Remove Period) Weakness Policy can be used to provide even more stat boosting on bulkier spreads.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[zeefable, 501951], [username2, userid2]]
Just trimming this down a bit

QC 1/2
zeefable-QC.gif

add remove highlight comment
[OVERVIEW]

Galarian Moltres's access to Nasty Plot, a boosting ability in Berserk, and a powerful Max Airstream make it a threat in the metagame. Max Airstream + and Max Darkness is a powerful combo that boosts your Speed and lowers opponent's Special defense, meaning that Galarian Moltres becomes more dangerous every turn. It performs incredibly well against Calyrex-S, Rillaboom and Kartana, resisting all their STABs most of their moves (doesn't resist Kartana's Smart Strike) and dealing serious damage with its own. However it is often too reliant on Nasty Plot and Berserk boosts to deal serious damage, meaning it struggles against Eerie Impulse Porygon2 and Snarl users like Incineroar. Galarian Moltres's typing also exposes it to common threats such as Regieleki, Thundurus, and Calyrex-I.

[SET]
item: Safety Goggles / Life Orb / Sitrus Berry
(I think Weakness Policy should be on the main set and Sitrus berry in other options, WP had the highest usage by a long shot in series 7 and I don't see a reason for that to change too much in this series, whereas Sitrus is very inconsistent at procing Berserk twice while in Dynamax)

[SET COMMENTS]

* Fiery Wrath is Galarian Moltres's most trusted STAB, a powerful spread move that hits Psychic Types like Indeedee-F, Solgaleo and Metagross, and can heavily threaten Calyrex-S and Necrozma Dawn Wings (no reason to split these up, and 3 examples are enough). Its 20% flinching chance is also worth noting. Max Darkness is really useful to lower opponents's Special Defense and threaten opponents even more when Dynamaxed.

* Air Slash is its secondary STAB that hits threats like Venusaur, Urshifu-S and Rillaboom. It also allows it to make up for his ("it" should always be the pronoun when referring to a Pokemon) below average Speed when Dynamaxed, providing speed boosts to it and its partner thanks to Max Airstream. Hurricane can be used over Air Slash to get more power while sacrificing accuracy.

* Safety Goggles lets Galarian Moltres effectively ignore Venusaur and Amoonguss's powder moves. Life Orb allows Moltres to instantly boost its damage output without reliance on Nasty Plot, Sitrus Berry is useful for potentially allowing Berserk to activate a second time.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt can be used over Protect to stop a Porygon2 form using Trick Room or Eerie Impulse, but Protect is often preferred to preserve Moltres's longevity. Psychic Seed can be used alongside Indeedee-F to boost Galarian Moltres's already high Special Defense in order to safely set up Nasty Plot, while Weakness Policy can be used to provide even more stat boosting on bulkier spreads.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[zeefable, 501951], [Dragonpiley007, 493619]]
QC 2/2 :blobthumbsup:

Light Sanctity

The Usurper
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
ADD REMOVE COMMENT
AM CHECK

AC = Add comma

AM Check, does not count!

[OVERVIEW]

Galarian Moltres's access to Nasty Plot, a boosting ability in Berserk, and a powerful Max Airstream make it a threat in the Series 8 metagame. Max Airstream and Max Darkness is a powerful combo that boosts your Speed and lowers opponent's Special defense the foe's Special Defense, meaning that Galarian Moltres becomes more dangerous every turn. It performs incredibly well against Calyrex-S, Rillaboom, (AC) and Kartana, resisting most of their moves and dealing serious damage with its own. However, (AC) it is often too reliant on Nasty Plot and Berserk boosts to deal serious damage, meaning it struggles against Eerie Impulse Porygon2 and Snarl users like Incineroar. Galarian Moltres's typing also exposes it to common threats such as Regieleki, Thundurus, and Calyrex-I.

[SET]
item: Safety Goggles / Life Orb / Sitrus Berry
(I think Weakness Policy should be on the main set and Sitrus berry in other options, WP had the highest usage by a long shot in series 7 and I don't see a reason for that to change too much in this series, whereas Sitrus is very inconsistent at procing Berserk twice while in Dynamax)

[SET COMMENTS]

* Fiery Wrath is Galarian Moltres's most trusted STAB, a powerful spread move that hits Psychic Types Psychic-types like Indeedee-F, Solgaleo, (AC) and Calyrex-S. Its 20% flinching chance is also worth noting. Max Darkness is really useful to lower opponents's the foe's Special Defense and threaten opponents them even more when Dynamaxed.

* Air Slash is its secondary STAB that hits threats like Venusaur, Urshifu-S, (AC) and Rillaboom. It also allows it to make up for its below average Speed when Dynamaxed, providing Speed boosts to it and its partner thanks to Max Airstream. Hurricane can be used over Air Slash to get more power while sacrificing accuracy.

* Safety Goggles lets Galarian Moltres effectively ignore Venusaur and Amoonguss's powder moves. Life Orb allows Galarian Moltres to instantly boost its damage output without reliance on Nasty Plot, while Weakness Policy can be used to provide even more stat boosting on bulkier spreads.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt can be used over Protect to stop a Porygon2 form from using Trick Room or Eerie Impulse, but Protect is often preferred to preserve Galarian Moltres's longevity. Psychic Seed can be used alongside Indeedee-F to boost Galarian Moltres's already high Special Defense in order to safely set up Nasty Plot, while Sitrus Berry is useful for potentially allowing Berserk to activate a second time.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[zeefable, 501951]], [[Dragonpiley007, 493619]]

Last edited:
this part was a comment, and should not be in the actual analysis, obviously. Also you didn't include Weakness Policy on the set despite putting it in set details so please fix that.

Giokio

#1 Nia simp
this part was a comment, and should not be in the actual analysis, obviously. Also you didn't include Weakness Policy on the set despite putting it in set details so please fix that.
I know, it was jut a mistake, I pasted the older document and this happened, my bad for not double checking it

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

Galarian Moltres's access to Nasty Plot, a boosting ability in Berserk, and a powerful Max Airstream make it a threat in the metagame. Max Airstream and Max Darkness is are a powerful combo combination that boosts your Speed and lowers opponent's your foe's Special Defense, meaning that Galarian Moltres becomes more dangerous every turn. It also performs incredibly well against Calyrex-S, Rillaboom,(AC) and Kartana, resisting most of their moves and dealing serious damage with its own. However,(AC) it is often too reliant on Nasty Plot and Berserk boosts to deal serious damage, meaning it struggles against Eerie Impulse Porygon2 and Snarl users like Incineroar. Galarian Moltres's typing also exposes it to common threats such as Regieleki, Thundurus, and Calyrex-I.

[SET]
item: Safety Goggles / Life Orb / Weakness Policy

[SET COMMENTS]

* Fiery Wrath is Galarian Moltres's most trusted STAB, a powerful spread move that hits Psychic Types Psychic-types like Indeedee-F, Solgaleo and Calyrex-S and has a useful 20% flinching chance. Its 20% flinching chance is also worth noting. Max Darkness is really useful to lower opponents's foes' Special Defense and threaten opponents them even more when Dynamaxed.

* Air Slash is its secondary STAB that hits threats like Venusaur, Urshifu-S and Rillaboom and allows Galarian Moltres to make up for its below average Speed, providing Speed boosts to it and its partner with Max Airstream while Dynamaxed. It also allows it to make up for its below average Speed when Dynamaxed, providing speed boosts to it and its partner thanks to Max Airstream. Hurricane can be used over Air Slash to get more power while sacrificing accuracy.

* Safety Goggles lets Galarian Moltres effectively ignore Venusaur's and Amoonguss's powder moves. Alternatively,(AC) Life Orb allows Moltres to instantly boost its boosts Galarian Moltres's damage output without and reduces its reliance on Nasty Plot, whereas Weakness Policy can be used to provide even more stat boosting on bulkier spreads.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Taunt can be used over Protect to stop a Porygon2 form from using Trick Room or Eerie Impulse, but Protect is often preferred to preserve Galarian Moltres's longevity. Psychic Seed can be used alongside Indeedee-F to boost Galarian Moltres's already high Special Defense in order to safely set up Nasty Plot, while Sitrus Berry is useful for potentially allowing Berserk to activate a second time.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[zeefable, 501951], [Dragonpiley007, 493619]]

gp 1/1 when done

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)