Monferno [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
QC: Anty / dodmen / Tone114
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / P Squared

[OVERVIEW]

Monferno is one of two relevant Fighting-types in PU, and it is a very versatile threat with access to utility moves like Taunt, Stealth Rock, and Will-O-Wisp. Its ability to use Eviolite and useful resistances to Grass-, Ice-, and Dark-type moves make it a key switch-in against threats like Leafeon, Mightyena, and Pawniard. Monferno fits on a wide variety of teams and primarily runs offensive sets, but it is also able to pull off defensively oriented sets to beat Rotom-F. Monferno can easily threaten the opposition with its dual STAB, high-Base Power moves in Close Combat and Flare Blitz, especially when they're boosted by Life Orb or Swords Dance. However, despite its access to such moves, offensive sets can still be walled by bulky Pokemon, like Stunfisk, or beaten by foes that resist its STAB-boosted moves, like Altaria. Monferno's mediocre Speed tier also means it is highly dependent on Mach Punch, so faster Pokemon with their own priority like Floatzel or those that resist Mach Punch like Mr. Mime can easily check it. Nevertheless, Monferno is still overall an advantageous choice for any type of team, given its ability to revenge kill weakened threats with Mach Punch, as well as its potential to break down defensive teams with its powerful dual STAB attacks.

[SET]
name: All-out Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: U-turn
item: Eviolite / Life Orb
ability: Iron Fist
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is Monferno's hardest-hitting Fighting-type STAB attack and does considerable damage to the Pokemon that don't resist it, at the cost of a drop in both Special Defense and Defense, and scores OHKOs on Pokemon like Stoutland and Bouffalant after Stealth Rock damage. Flare Blitz is Monferno's most powerful physical Fire-type move, but the recoil can wear Monferno down quickly. Mach Punch provides Monferno with priority, letting it finish off faster, weakened Pokemon or slower Pokemon with access to priority like Pawniard. U-turn enables Monferno to pick up momentum for its teammates and severely damage Psychic-type switch-ins like Grumpig. Stealth Rock is a final option that can be used in the last slot over U-turn to wear down switch-ins over the course of a match.

Set Details
========

Eviolite boosts Monferno's bulk and allows it to check physical attackers like Pawniard and Mightyena more reliably, while Life Orb boosts Monferno's damage output at the cost of some bulk. Maximum investment in Attack with an Adamant nature lets Monferno hit as hard as possible, while 252 Speed EVs allow Monferno to outspeed neutral-natured base 80s such as Stoutland, Altaria, and Arbok. Using a Jolly nature is optional and lets Monferno U-turn on Timid Grumpig before being hit by Psychic. Iron Fist boosts the power of Mach Punch by 20%.

Usage Tips
========

Monferno can be used at any point in a match, whether it be early-game to beat anti-leads like offensive Quilladin and Bullet Seed Leafeon, mid-game to take threats down with its powerful dual STAB attacks, or late-game to clean up with Mach Punch. Monferno's unique Speed tier can be used to revenge kill powerful wallbreakers like Adamant Stoutland with its STAB Close Combat. All-out attacker Monferno should use U-turn against predicted Altaria and Grumpig switch-ins and switch out to Pokemon that can handle these threats appropriately. Even with Eviolite, Monferno lacks the bulk to continually switch into strong attacks, meaning it will be worn down quickly over the course of a match. Monferno can be switched into Pokemon like Pawniard and Leafeon; however, it dislikes losing its Eviolite to Knock Off.

Team Options
========

Pursuit trappers like Bouffalant and Metang are able to switch into and trap faster Psychic-types like Mr. Mime and Kadabra for Monferno, letting it clean late-game with Mach Punch uninhibited. Offensively, Monferno partners well with offensive Ice-types like Cryogonal, Regice, and Rotom-F that can whittle down its checks and counters, like Stunfisk, Vullaby, and Altaria. Monferno appreciates entry hazard setters that are able to weaken opposing teams to the point it can clean with Mach Punch, making Pokemon with access to Spikes like Quilladin and Roselia ideal partners. At the same time, they are able to use Stunfisk that may switch into Monferno as setup fodder for Spikes or wear it down with their respective Grass-type moves. Stealth Rock setters like Golem on offensive teams and Metang and Relicanth on balanced teams are adept at wearing down foes for Monferno. Given that it can be worn down easily over the course of a match, Mr. Mime's Healing Wish can be used to revive Monferno. Additionally, Mr. Mime can complete a momentum core with its Baton Pass and Monferno's U-turn. Fast Electric-types like Electabuzz and Zebstrika are also able to form momentum cores with Monferno, and they can check the offensive Water-types that beat Monferno, as well as Flying-types like Altaria and Jumpluff. Pokemon that can switch into offensive Water-types like Basculin and Floatzel are useful for preserving Monferno, meaning bulky Grass-types and Pokemon with immunities to Water-type attacks like Politoed are excellent partners.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: Mach Punch
item: Life Orb / Eviolite

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance doubles Monferno's Attack, letting it function as a sweeper. Close Combat is a strong and reliable STAB option that severely damages anything that doesn't resist it, but it comes at the cost of lowered defenses. Monferno's STAB Flare Blitz hits a large portion of the tier for heavy damage, but its recoil can be detrimental to Monferno's longevity. While less powerful than Flare Blitz, an Iron Fist-boosted Fire Punch can be used over Flare Blitz to preserve Monferno, as the recoil from both Flare Blitz and Life Orb has the potential to end its sweep prematurely. Mach Punch is a priority move boosted by Iron Fist that allows Monferno to deal with faster threats.

Set Details
========

Its EV spread and nature maximize Monferno's Attack, while the given Speed lets Monferno outspeed neutral-natured base 80s. A Jolly nature is optional and lets Monferno outspeed Timid Grumpig, Modest Articuno, Glalie, positive-natured base 80s like Jolly Stoutland, and Klang after a Shift Gear. Iron Fist is Monferno's ability of choice and boosts the power of Mach Punch. Life Orb further boosts its power, while the bulk from Eviolite allows it to set up with Swords Dance more reliably.

Usage Tips
========

Monferno should set up with Swords Dance mid- to late-game once faster Pokemon that can check it have been dispatched or put in range of Monferno's Mach Punch, like Mr. Mime. Monferno can use Swords Dance on the turn it forces out a threat it beats, like Pawniard or Mightyena. Pokemon like Grumpig, Stunfisk, and Altaria need to be weakened significantly before attempting a sweep. Monferno should switch out of faster Pokemon with priority, like Floatzel and Basculin given their ability to OHKO Monferno with Aqua Jet. A Life Orb-boosted Mach Punch can be used to pick off faster threats after some prior damage, like Rock Polish Regice, Sand Rush Stoutland, and Choice Scarf Sawsbuck.

Team Options
========

Strong Pursuit trappers like Murkrow, Stoutland, Dodrio, and Metang are all useful for beating Psychic-types for Monferno so that it can sweep mid- to late-game with its Mach Punch. Stealth Rock users that can weaken opposing teams for Monferno to clean make for ideal partners; Steel-types like Probopass and Metang are especially effective for this, as Probopass gives Monferno a free switch with its slow Volt Switch, while Metang can Pursuit trap weaker Psychic-types that can stop a Monferno sweep like Kadabra. Hyper offensive leads with access to entry hazards are able to pressure foes to the point Monferno can clean with a Life Orb-boosted Mach Punch, like Golem, Glalie, and Venipede. Monferno's bulk with a Life Orb is lackluster, and therefore it enjoys Defog or Rapid Spin support to keep opposing entry hazards at bay. Vibrava is able to switch into Stunfisk, one of Monferno's checks, and Defog reliably, while Lumineon is able to switch into Water-types that threaten Monferno and Defog afterward. Fast Electric-types like Zebstrika and Choice Scarf Rotom-F are ideal partners, as they check threats to Monferno like Floatzel and Altaria. Finally, Sticky Web support from Leavanny is useful, as this allows Monferno to outspeed faster, grounded threats, which would check Monferno otherwise.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Monferno is able to run a Choice Band over Eviolite on its all-out attacker set for more immediate power. However, doing so means it's no longer able to switch between its dual STAB attacks and priority, which makes it easier to play around, and simultaneously limits its bulk. Hidden Power Ice and Rock Slide are both usable options for hitting Altaria harder, but they come at the cost of missing out on either Swords Dance or U-turn, which are arguably superior options. Fake Out can also be used instead of Swords Dance or U-turn for the purpose of revenge killing frail threats and deactivating Sturdy and Focus Sashes before attacking. A mixed set with Fire Blast is another alternative to hit physically defensive targets like Tangela, Gourgeist-XL, and Avalugg much harder without incurring recoil damage from Flare Blitz, but it is less useful overall without some investment in Special Attack. Using Flame Charge over U-turn lets Monferno act as a late-game sweeper with Flare Blitz and Close Combat, letting it outspeed faster Pokemon like Zebstrika, Dodrio, and Jumpluff without having to rely on Mach Punch. A lead set with both Taunt and Stealth Rock is viable on offensive teams, but it faces competition as an anti-lead from Pokemon more suited to beating Golem leads early-game, such as Misdreavus and Taunt Quilladin. Slack Off and a physically or specially defensive build can be used to switch into Pokemon like Pawniard and Rotom-F more reliably without being whittled down over the course of a match. Finally, specially offensive sets with Nasty Plot can be used to take physically defensive answers like Stunfisk by surprise, but they are completely walled by Grumpig thanks to its ability Thick Fat and are generally inferior to sets with Swords Dance.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Priority**: Floatzel's and Basculin's Aqua Jet both outspeed Monferno's Mach Punch and are able to do severe damage to it, especially if Monferno is running Life Orb over Eviolite.

**Flying-types**: Altaria resists everything in Monferno's arsenal outside of a Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Ice and can hit back with a powerful Dragon-type move or Earthquake. Swanna hates switching into Monferno repeatedly, but it also resists Monferno's Fire- and Fighting-type moves and can OHKO it with Scald.

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types like Lumineon and Politoed are able to tank a hit from Close Combat and hit back with a STAB-boosted Scald. Faster Water-types like Basculin, Floatzel, and Simipour can also revenge kill Monferno.

**Psychic-types**: Grumpig is able use its resistances to Fighting and Fire to switch into Monferno's STAB moves and check it with Psychic in return, although Grumpig should be careful of switching into U-turn. Mr. Mime is able to revenge kill Monferno thanks to its Psychic STAB moves and its 4x resistance to Mach Punch.

**Ground-types**: Stunfisk is able to survive any hit from Monferno, including a Swords Dance- and Life Orb-boosted Close Combat, and can OHKO Life Orb variants back with an uninvested Earth Power. Gabite, if run with maximum Defense, can do the same with its STAB Earthquake. If running an offensive set, Gabite outspeeds Monferno and can OHKO it via Earthquake.

Last edited:
I don't know about you guys but I don't really like the idea of the first set having LO. If you're using that, you're probably in need of a pivot and monferno isn't fast enough or bulky enough that it can afford to lose 10%+hazards damage in a pivot role (not even considering that one of the stabs has recoil to aggravate this). I can understand it on the second set but not the first.

Reactions: g

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
I don't know about you guys but I don't really like the idea of the first set having LO. If you're using that, you're probably in need of a pivot and monferno isn't fast enough or bulky enough that it can afford to lose 10%+hazards damage in a pivot role (not even considering that one of the stabs has recoil to aggravate this). I can understand it on the second set but not the first.
Honestly, I don't like the idea of All-Out-Attacker Monferno without running something like Choice Band as a whole, but I agree with this. Life Orb looks underwhelming to me on the AoA set, as other than having the aforementioned drawbacks, Eviolite is a much better item and allows Monferno to be more durable + reliable against Pokemon such as Pawniard.

Also I would rather mention Stealth Rock in moves than slashing it to U-Turn / Thunder Punch. It's not terrible, but I'm of the opinion that using a dedicated Stealth Rock setter would be way much better than relying on this, especially since we carry pretty good dedicated Stealth Rock setters that also pair well with Monferno(or run Monferno with a dedicated Stealth Rock set itself, you can mention that in OO). I don't know if other QC members will agree, so if you want to keep Stealth Rock on its fine, but I think a different name from AoA would be more appropriated then.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
A bit early to give feedback; still in preliminary stages of writing and simply wrote up a WIP thread to show it's in progress. Will be working on this specific analysis a lot within the next few days though, and have implemented suggested changes already.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview:
'Walled by either Grumpig or Altaria, with its 4th slot being used for U-Turn or Hidden Power Ice, meaning it has 4MSS' - minor nitpick but hp ice isn't too relevant as alt isnt too common so I dont think it has much 4mss (not as much as stuff like audino)

1st set:
I dont think HP ice worth mentioning here (id prefer oo) as like i said before alt isnt very common (much rarer than grumpig) so its not worth running it in the 4th slot imo (also means u have to run -sdef nature)

2nd set:
Mention fire-punch here too as afaik it gets all the KO's +2 flare blitz does (i think w/o LO you dont OHKO arbok at +1, and i wouldnt be surprised if phdef missy lives but thats about it)

When you mention Jolly, the main target is Timid Grumpig as after like sr + spikes you can KO it at +2 if LO

C&C
In water-types you should also mention faster ones like Floatzel and simipour that can RK it

Very good and thorough analysis 2xTheTap 1/3

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I mean, it isn't walled by Grumpig at all if it carries U-turn as a standard move. In addition, LO Close Combat is a clean 3HKO. So I wouldn't put "walled by Grumpig" and instead replace that with walled by Stunfisk. That takes less damage from Monferno's attacks and is more of a threat because of Static.

I think Eviolite should be the primary item on SD Monferno since the bulk it gets is what lets it set up SD safely in many situations in the first place, and LO recoil can end a sweep too easily in conjunction with hazards and any damage taken while setting up. The extra prior damage it needs for +2 Mach Punch on targets like Zebstrika isn't too hard to get with hazards + their own LO recoil, not to mention that Monferno can easily live a hit from some of these mons with Eviolite if it isn't at +2 yet. Sticky Web is a great team option for SD.

I also think that LO should get some consideration for a slot for All Out Attacker, it's just horribly weak with no SD and no LO. It's not supposed to be used as a "pivot", it's supposed to be more focused around punishing stuff like Audino with its power and coverage and hitting switchins hard without needing to boost like SD. I actually think LO is better. For example, Adamant LO CC 2HKOs Altaria after Stealth Rock and even Jolly has a not-terrible chance to do so (40%). I'd say that Fire Blast is worth a slash after Flare Blitz since it hits certain targets a lot harder (OHKOes Tangela even with a -SAtk nature) and can save Monferno a lot of recoil damage against other targets like Gourgeist (and also does good damage to Stunfisk with no risk of para); since CC hits for the same power as Flare Blitz it's not a bad trade at all. It should only be used with LO though.

Also HP Ice isn't really necessary as Rock Slide actually does more to Altaria with a Naughty nature and slightly less with Naive (but gets the same KOs that HP Ice does, with or without SR or HP investment on Altaria). The point is you don't have to run a -Sdef nature.

Really good analysis :), lemme know when you're done and I can check.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
Can do in OO, ty for check dodmen

btw, I think this is still 2/3 since the others had written those comments before the analysis was finished

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
2xTheTap sorry if late, but you should probably give Choice Scarf a full set. Since this analysis first got started, Choice Scarf Monferno gained a lot of usage and I would say it is one of the most popular Monferno sets now, along with Swords Dance. And honestly it is pretty good, given I'm an avid Monferno player and in most of the teams I end up splashing a Choice Scarf on it as it is so efficient in the current metagame to lure stuff like wallbreaker Simipour or Choice Specs Floatzel but also be a great revengekiller to Ice-types and still be able to deal with other stuff such as Pawniard.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
fine with adding scarf as third set, will do

e: I'm looking at this and wondering if it would be okay to add this as an option in set details on AoA set? the only difference would be usage tips, as partners and moves would make this a pretty redundant 3 set analysis

Last edited:
nah for sure no

id rather get this out and then someone can write additonal sets since monferno is quite important, you should write it up

Raiza

World Defender
ok then just add a mention in overview that says monferno can rkill + reasoning, but don't mention scarf anywhere else, since we'll give it a separated analysis

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
In the AoA set under Team options, you talk about momentum cores with Mr. Mime with Baton Pass, so might as well mention other Electric-types that appreciates getting a free Thunderbolt off for the bulky Water-types that Monferno forces in that can stomach a Flare Blitz or Close Combat (you kind of mentioned Rotom-Frost in offensive Ice-types, but it can make a mention here). Also mention that Roselia and Quilladin can use Stunfisk as set up fodder with Spikes and can wear it down with their respective Grass-STAB. Very nice written analysis.

3/3.

Sobi

Banned deucer.
remove add comments
[OVERVIEW]

Monferno is one of two relevant Fighting-types in PU, and is a very versatile threat with access to utility moves like Taunt, Stealth Rock, and Will-O-Wisp. Its ability to use Eviolite and useful resistances to Grass-, Ice-, and Dark-type moves make it a key switch-in against threats like Leafeon, Mightyena, and Pawniard. Monferno is very splashable (Splashable doesn't really seem like the right word to use here; I understand what you mean, but it would be better if you used a broader term that could be easily understood), (ya, "splashable" is banned actually because it's slang extreme / doesn't really mean anything) and primarily runs offensive sets, but is also able to pull off defensively oriented sets to beat Rotom-F. Monferno can easily threaten the opposition with its dual STAB, and high BP moves (I didn't know what you were trying to say here, so the phrasing is a bit weird) (ok, that happens, but in that case just leave a comment with suggestions as opposed to making an actual change) in Close Combat and Flare Blitz, especially when boosted by Life Orb and/or Swords Dance. However, despite its access to these high BPstrong ("high-Base Power" is fine honestly, so no need to change the vernacular even further) moves, offensive sets can still be walled by bulky Pokemon, like Stunfisk, or beaten by foes that resist its STAB-boosted moves, like Altaria. Monferno's mediocre Speed tier also means it is highly dependent on Mach Punch, so faster Pokemon with their own priority like Floatzel or those that resist Mach Punch, (AC) like Mr. Mime, (AC) (nah, see a similar edit below) can easily check Monferno. Nevertheless, Monferno is still overall an advantageous choice for any type of team, given its ability to revenge kill weakened threats with Mach Punch, as well as its potential to break down defensive teams with its powerful dual STAB attacks, backed by both Swords Dance and Life Orb.

[SET]
name: All-out Attacker
move 1: Flare Blitz
move 3: Mach Punch
move 4: U-Turn
item: Eviolite / Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Close Combat is Monferno's hardest hitting Fighting STAB attack and does considerable damage to the Pokemon that don't resist it at the cost of a drop in both Special Defense and Defense, and scores OHKOes on Pokemon like Stoutland and Bouffalant after Stealth Rock (good) damage. Flare Blitz is Monferno's most powerful physical Fire-type move, but the recoil it incurs as a result of using Flare Blitz (good, obv. implied) can wear Monferno down quickly. Mach Punch provides Monferno with priority, letting it finish off faster, weakened Pokemon, or slower Pokemon with access to priority like Pawniard. U-Turn is able to pick up momentum for its teammates and severely damage Psychic-type switch-ins like Grumpig. Stealth Rock is a final option that can be used in the last slot over U-Turn to damage switch-ins over the course of a match.

Set Details
========

Eviolite boosts Monferno's bulk and allows it to check physical attackers like Pawniard and Mightyena more reliably, while Life Orb boosts Monferno's damage output at the cost of some bulk. Maximum investment in Attack with an Adamant nature lets Monferno hit as hard as possible, while 252 Speed EVs allow Monferno to outspeed neutral-natured base 80s such as Stoutland, Altaria, and Arbok. Using a Jolly nature is optional and lets Monferno U-Turn on Timid Grumpig with 172 Speed EVs before being hit by Psychic. Iron Fist boosts the power of its punching moves by 20%, increasing the damage of Mach Punch.

Usage Tips
========

Monferno can be used at any point in a match, whether it be early-game to beat anti-leads like offensive Quilladin or Bullet Seed Leafeon, mid-game to take threats down with its powerful dual STAB attacks, or late-game to clean up with Mach Punch. Monferno's unique speed tier can be used to revenge kill powerful wallbreakers like Adamant Stoutland with its STAB Close Combat. AoA Monferno should U-Turn against predicted Altaria and Grumpig switch-ins and switch out to Pokemon that can handle these threats to Monferno appropriately. Even with Eviolite, Monferno lacks the bulk to continuously switch into strong attacks, meaning it will be worn down quickly over the course of a match. Monferno can be switched into Pokemon like Pawniard and Leafeon, however it dislikes losing its Eviolite to Knock Off.

Team Options
========

Pursuit trappers like Bouffalant and Metang are able to switch into and trap faster Psychic-types like Mr. Mime and Kadabra for Monferno, letting it clean late-game with Mach Punch uninhibited. Offensively, Monferno partners well with offensive Ice-types like Cryogonal, Regice, and Rotom-F that can whittle down Monferno's checks and counters, like Stunfisk, Vullaby, and Altaria. Monferno appreciates entry hazard setters that are able to weaken opposing teams to the point it can clean with Mach Punch, making Pokemon with access to Spikes, (AC) like Quilladin and Roselia, (AC) (those commas imply that _every_ Pokemon with access to Spikes is a good teammate, which isn't the case judging by the following bit; he really is referring to Grass-types because those check Stunfisk, i.e. setters "like" Quilladin and Roselia. There's a lot of grey area between the nuances carried by commas and no commas, so you should usually just leave those alone, and this isn't a case where adding those commas would be warranted) ideal partners. At the same time, they are able to use Stunfisk that may switch into Monferno as setup fodder for Spikes, or wear it down with their respective Grass-type moves. Stealth Rock setters like Golem on offensive teams, or Metang and Relicanth on balanced teams are adept at wearing down foes for Monferno. Given that it can be worn down easily over the course of a match, Mr. Mime's Healing Wish can be used to revive Monferno. Additionally, Mr. Mime can form a momentum core with its Baton Pass and Monferno's U-Turn. Fast Electric-types like Electabuzz and Zebstrika are also able to form momentum cores with Monferno, while at the same time, they can check the offensive Water-types that beat Monferno, as well as Flying-types like Altaria and Jumpluff. Pokemon that can switch into offensive Water-types like Basculin and Floatzel are useful for preserving Monferno, meaning bulky Grass-types and Pokemon with immunities to Water-type attacks like Politoed are excellent partners.

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: Mach Punch
item: Life Orb / Eviolite

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Swords Dance doubles Monferno's Attack, letting it function as a sweeper. Close Combat is a strong and reliable STAB option that severely damages anything that doesn't resist it, but comes at the cost of lowered defenses. Monferno's STAB Flare Blitz hits a large portion of the tier for heavy damage, but its recoil can be detrimental to Monferno's longevity. While less powerful than Flare Blitz, an Iron Fist-boosted Fire Punch can be used over Flare Blitz to preserve Monferno, as the recoil from both Flare Blitz and Life Orb has the potential to end its sweep prematurely. Mach Punch is a priority move boosted by Iron Fist that allows Monferno to deal with faster threats.

Set Details
========

Its EV spread and nature maximize Monferno's Attack, while the given Speed lets Monferno outspeed neutral-natured base 80s. A Jolly nature is optional and lets Monferno outspeed Timid Grumpig, Modest Articuno, Glalie, positive-natured base 80s like Jolly Stoutland, and Klang after a Shift Gear. Iron Fist is Monferno's ability of choice and boosts the power of Mach Punch. Monferno is also able to use a Life Orb over Eviolite to further boost its attack power, while the bulk from Eviolite allows it to set up with Swords Dance more reliably. Without Eviolite, Monferno is left vulnerable to special sweepers, so priority moves are essential in order to weaken them. (ok, you _can_ suggest edits like this, but you're basically modifying the content here, which doesn't fall under GP's job or authority, so don't make it look like an official change please u_u it is fine to leave a note like "maybe add something about <...>, such as "<...>" " though)

Usage Tips
========

Monferno should set up with Swords Dance mid- to late-game once faster Pokemon that can check it have been dispatched or put in range of Monferno's Mach Punch, like Mr. Mime. Monferno can use Swords Dance on the turn it forces out a threat it beats, like Pawniard or Mightyena. Pokemon like Grumpig, Stunfisk, and Altaria need to be weakened significantly before attempting a sweep. Monferno should switch out of faster Pokemon with priority, like Floatzel and Basculin given their ability to OHKO Monferno with Aqua Jet. A Life Orb-boosted Mach Punch can be used to pick off faster threats after some prior damage, like Rock Polish Regice, Sand Rush Stoutland, and Choice Scarf Sawsbuck.

Team Options
========

Strong Pursuit trappers like Murkrow, Stoutland, Dodrio, and Metang are all useful for beating Psychic-types for Monferno, so that it can sweep mid- to late-game with its Mach Punch. Stealth Rock users that can weaken opposing teams for Monferno to clean, (AC) (this one seems arbitrary honestly, and it's basically equivalent to "Defenders, generally don't score a lot of goals") make for ideal partners;. (don't think the semicolon is particularly harmful here; linking only two sentences that are clearly related in terms of content is fine)Steel-types like Probopass and Metang are especially effective for this, as Probopass gives Monferno a free switch with its slow Volt Switch, while Metang can Pursuit-trap weaker Psychic-types that can stop a Monferno sweep, like Kadabra. Hyper offensive leads with access to entry hazards are able to pressure foes to the point Monferno can clean with a Life Orb-boosted Mach Punch, like Golem, Glalie, and Venipede. Monferno's bulk with a Life Orb is lackluster and therefore enjoys Defog or Rapid Spin support to keep opposing entry hazards at bay. Vibrava is able to switch into Stunfisk, one of Monferno's checks, and Defog reliably, while Lumineon is able to switch into Water-types that threaten Monferno and Defog afterward. Fast Electric-types like Zebstrika and Scarf Rotom-F are ideal partners, as they check threats to Monferno like Floatzel and Altaria. Finally, Sticky Web support from Leavanny is useful, as this allows Monferno to outspeed faster, grounded threats, which would check Monferno otherwise.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Monferno is able to run a Choice Band over Eviolite on its all-out-attacker set for more immediate power. However, doing so means it's no longer able to switch between its dual STAB attacks and priority, which makes it easier to play around, while simultaneously limiting its bulk. Hidden Power Ice and Rock Slide are both usable options for hitting Altaria harder, however they come at the cost of missing out on either Swords Dance or U-Turn, which are arguably superior options. A mixed set with Fire Blast is another alternative to hit physically defensive targets like Tangela, Gourgeist-Super, and Avalugg much harder without incurring recoil damage from Flare Blitz, but is less useful overall without some investment in Special Attack. Using Flame Charge over U-Turn lets Monferno act as a late-game sweeper with Flare Blitz and Close Combat, letting it outspeed faster Pokemon like Zebstrika, Dodrio, and Jumpluff without having to rely on Mach Punch. A lead set with both Taunt and Stealth Rock is viable on offensive teams, but faces competition as an anti-lead from Pokemon more suited to beating Golem leads early-game, such as Misdreavus and Taunt Quilladin. Slack Off and a physically or specially defensive build can be used to switch into Pokemon like Pawniard and Rotom-F more reliably, without being whittled down over the course of a match. Finally, specially offensive sets with Nasty Plot can be used to take physically defensive answers like Stunfisk by surprise, but are completely walled by Grumpig thanks to its ability, Thick Fat, and are generally inferior to sets with Swords Dance.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Faster Priority**: Floatzel and Basculin's Aqua Jet both outspeed Monferno's Mach Punch and are able to do severe damage to it, especially if Monferno is running Life Orb over Eviolite, (AC) as it doesn't have enough bulk to withstand it. (this is p. much implied honestly, adding it seems extraneous)

**Flying-Types**: Altaria resists everything in Monferno's arsenal outside of a Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Ice and can hit back with a powerful Dragon-type move or Earthquake. Swanna hates switching into Monferno repeatedly, but also resists Monferno's Fire- and Fighting-type moves and can OHKO Monferno with Scald.

**Water-types**: Bulky Water-types like Lumineon and Politoed are able to tank a hit from Close Combat and hit back with a STAB-boosted Scald. Faster Water-types like Basculin, Floatzel, and (you seem to be mentioning Basculin and Floatzel a lot, which can seem quite boring, so don't list too many examples) (variety is good, but just axing them doesn't fix this, and I don't really see the issue if they're really that good as counters. Also three examples really aren't too many) Simipour can also revenge kill Monferno.

**Psychic-types**: Grumpig is able to use its resistances to Fighting and Fire to switch into Monferno's STAB moves and check it with Psychic in return, although Grumpig should be careful of switching into U-Turn. Mr. Mime is able to revenge kill Monferno with its Psychic STAB moves and its x4 resistance to Mach Punch.

**Ground-types**: Stunfisk is able to survive any hit from Monferno, including a Swords Dance and Life Orb-boosted Close Combat, and can OHKO back with an uninvested Earth Power against LO variants. Gabite, if ran with maximum Defense, can do the same with its STAB Earthquake. If ran offensively, Gabite outspeeds Monferno and can OHKO it via Earthquake.

This is my first check, so apologies if I have missed anything out; there was a lot to read, but I think I have corrected most of the mistakes.

tdp edit: couple good catches, couple changes I was less happy about; admittedly this isn't the greatest analysis for a first check because it was seriously well written to begin with, an analysis with more objective errors is better for getting into the groove. There were nevertheless objective things you missed too though, so read over my check and hmu if you've got any questions etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)