Monkey Business. OU RMT

I've been using this team for a while now, and while I have no real major successes to boast about I feel as though it is one of the best teams I've ever used. I always seem to miss sign ups for tournaments on here, and I haven't the time nor patience for laddering, especially with my crappy Australian internet. Hopefully that justifies why the team hasn't had any smogon success, just overlook that fact and give it some rates. It would be nice to tweak it so that it is fun to use once again.

As the name suggests the team is based around swords dance Infernape and allowing it to either make a clean sweep to finish the match or tear through 2/3 of bulky stall teams early on.

Team Building

I remember seeing how effective this poke could be a while back when the erector used to play. He cleans up the majority of his usual switch ins with the exception of those faster special attackers.

Like i said the main thing this particular Infernape has trouble with are those fast pokes like latias, starmie, scarfed rotom. Snorlax is able to switch in to all of these threats and trap them with pursuit paving the way for Infernape.

I then needed to get a more solid defensive core, and two of the biggest currents threats were cm jirachi and dd mence. I also needed a sr'er and Swampert fit perfectly.

To finish off the core of the teams defence, I added in rotom and jirachi, who work in tandem to defeat whatever other threats I have trouble with, and to also give me more offensive power. They are my counters for Gyara and Jirachi can also be used as an alternative sweeper if I decide to bring out Infernape early.

I basically then just wanted some toxic spikes support to allow Snorlax and Jirachi to take down bulky pokemon in case Infernape has failed to do so. I also find roserade to be a great lead, giving me an early advantage in tons of matches.

The Team

Roserade (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SpA/6 HP
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power (Ground)
---

I love Roserade as a lead, and when combined with Swampert I have the advantage over 90% of other leads. I can switch in Swampert vs Metagross, Ttar and Jirachi and proceed to set up Stealth Rocks. The toxic spikes are a nice addition to my team and provides back up in case my strategy of an Infernape sweep is foiled. I have gone with HP ground over fire, just because I like being able to OHKO the many Heatran and Magnezone who seem to switch in. Sleep support is also very helpful and gives me an opportunity to switch in and set up Infernape.

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 216 HP/40 SpA/252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
---

My only real fighting and U-Turn resist, which is one of the problems I’ve found with this team. Trick support is essential in this metagame, although I don’t use it all that much with this team. Rotom is generally used as a revenge killer and is also my first switch in to Lucario, Scizor. Don’t know what else to say really other than Rotom is a key component in this teams success. I was considering using a rest talk rotom since I have no status absorber and it would work as a better switch in vs scizor, but I’ll leave that up to you guys to tell me what you think

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/6 Atk
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Protect
---

Swampert is in the team for his stealth rock support and ability to beat +1 DD mence along with wall all types of Jirachi. Protect is there to scout and give me some much needed lefties recovery. Together with Rotom and Snorlax I have quite a strong defensive core which is capable of taking on the majority of threats. Swampert enables me to beat the majority of leads as it covers those leads which beat Roserade.

Snorlax @ Choice Band
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 SpD
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Return
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Pursuit
---

Snorlax’ main role is to take hits from special threats and trap those ones which threaten Infernapes sweep. Starmie, Latias and scarfed Rotom literally don’t stand a chance when I bring this guy, and he plays the most important role in this team. Return surprisingly scores tons of helpful 2hkos on things like Gliscor who switch in hoping to taunt the expected curse. Suicine is unable to set up and anything my opponent switches in is going to be taking a lot of damage. I chose to go with immunity so that Snorlax can act as somewhat of a status absorber taking on toxic, it also means that toxic spikes don’t shorten its time out on the field.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
---

Yes I stole it from EW because it is amazing. My only dragon resist and provides further defensive bulk to the team. However the best thing about him is that he gives me an alternate pokemon capable of sweeping. Infernape isn’t able to get me a sweep 100% of the time and that is where Jirachi comes in very handy. I still can’t believe the ease in which this poke is able to set up and sweep, it is actually ridiculous. Wish support also comes in handy for Swampert and Snorlax, neither of which could be as effective without it. I LOVE THIS POKEMON.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd/6 HP
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Mach Punch
---

As you probably gathered, Infernape is the heart and sole of the team. He is able to sweep with ease and has a plethora of opportunities to set up. With Stealth Rock Support he is able to OHKO nearly all of his common switch ins. Most Gyara die from a boosted Stone Edge, Vaporeon dies to a boosted Close Combat and Suicine takes a shitload of damage. Priority pokes hoping to revenge him are unable to do so thanks to mach punch, scarftran and lucario are the main pokemon that mach punch is useful against. He literally sweeps in at least 80% of my matches, and I would go so far as to say he is the best late game sweeper I have ever used.

My major problems are Rest Talk Rotom, who single handedly rapes the whole team. Mix Mence also causes me lots of problems and I usually have to end up sacrificing several pokemon to lock it into an outrage.

Anyways I hope you enjoy the team, give me some rates and try and make this awesome team even better than it already is (H)

joshe

the best
This is a pretty solid team, and I just have a few nitpicks. You don't need Protect on Swampert because you have Rotom-h who can take an Explosion. Replace it with either Roar or HP-Electric, which will better serve you in preventing Gyarados, Suicune, and SubRotom from setting up on you. If you truly fear BulkyGyara who will taunt your Swampert, preventing you from roaring it out, HP-Electric will 2OHKO Gyarados, making it a decent option to try out. Next, you should try out a slightly bulkier Rotom-h spread. 216 HP / 40 SpA / 252 Spe works; you can even do something like 232 HP / 20 SpA / 252 Spe which 2HKOs Latias. Being Bulky will let you get in much more easily as well as being able to survive +1 Life Orb Waterfalls from Gyarados (although this is kinda counterproductive since you outspeed all Gyarados even at +1) as well as a normal Crunch from Life Orb Lucario.

I don't see the need for Crunch and Pursuit to be together on your Snorlax. If you really want to use both, just use Tyranitar. Sandstorm may hurt Infernape, but you'll get power in return. If you don't want to change that up too much, put
Fire Punch over crunch as a way to hit Scizor and Skarmory hard and to weaken the latter for Infernape to clean through. Also Infernape needs a Fire move in its moveset for many reasons. Firstly, it gives you another STAB move, and secondly to hit Skarmory, Bronzong, and Celebi super effectively (and for massive OHKOing power damage). Put Fire Punch over Mach Punch. Rotom-h can now gladly check, revenge, and kill Lucario, and your team isn't weak to Tyranitar in the slightest, so I don't see the need for Mach Punch. Inferape will be able to sweep more easily with 2 STAB moves that get great coverage together.

Finally, change Jirachi's ev spread to 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe. With the Speed EVs, you outpace Jolly Tyranitar, and you'll be able to hit it hard with a Flash Cannon before it can get a Dragon Dance or Crunch you.

Good Luck.

Sup DPF? It's been a while. This is a very well made team, I really don't see much problems with it. The only thing that sticks out to me is mixmence, which you can play around. There are also little things that will annoy you such as having to rely on pert or ape to take on T-tar's crunch and not having good switch ins to u-turn once rotom gets pursuited. However, once again, that can be played around since your team has decent bulk.

The only specific change I want to make to this team is to reaplce lax's crunch with fire punch. A stab return does almost as much as a SE crunch anyways. This way you can reliably hit the likes of skarm and forry on the switch. I've used CB lax a lot back in the days of D/P so I can attest to its success.

Great team man, I would rate it 4 or 5 stars if I could. If you have the time, please rate my team in return :P

ediit: I disagree with Joshe's suggestion of fire punch > mach punch. Doing so would make this team quite luke weak as rotom is pursuit bait.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello Flow,

Look to make a quick swap with Psychic and Flash Cannon. Flash Cannon is primarily used for Latias - who is trapped by Snorlax. With Psychic, you can actually hit Rest Talk Rotom, a problem you pointed out. As an added bonus, you get to jab opponents with a higher STAB attack. It also lets you strike Swampert. Also on certain situations, the added power is needed to strip some HP off locked in Outrage Salamence.

For Rotom, aim for the bulky spread listed by Joshe. This improves your chances with facing Lucario and Gyarados. This is pretty important for this team, otherwise the former two can seriously deal some serious damage on this team.

On Snorlax, Immunity is not a good ability for Snorlax. Oddly enough, Roserade can still make a good Toxic Spikes absorber late game if you are really troubled with Toxic Spikes. Thick Fat however, helps you deal come in safely on Heatran. A potential Flash Fire boost, can seriously deal plenty of damage with Fire Blast on Snorlax. All in all, it helps come in on Fire-type hits. Go for Earthquake over Superpower and Fire Punch over Crunch. Earthquake lets you hit Heatran hard without the drop, while Fire Punch makes sure you are not a sitting duck versus Skarmory and Scizor.

As for other options, ThunderPunch might be an option over Stone Edge to actually strike Gyarados 100% of the time. Just a thought, if you like to play risky Stone Edge is defenitely the option. ThunderPunch ensures something like Gyarados won't mess you up. overall gl.

Thanks for the rates guys, I will definately try out the bulkier rotom set, it would suit my team a whole lot better I think. I originally put crunch on snorlax as a means of beating rotom, but it isn't really all that helpful so i think i'll change the set. Fire punch and Earthquake seems like a good option so thanks j.franky. As far as changing Infernapes set goes, why fix what isn't broken? lol the current set is perfect for me so I think I'll keep it, but thanks for the suggestions anyhow. I'll change Jirachi's EVs as you suggested joshe and will see if psychic is as effective as flash cannon. Really appreciate the suggestions though, very helpful.

HAI NAGAI, it's been too long and i hear you're going overseas or something so we'll have to catch up when you get back. I'll try and find some time to give you a rate, but i can't make any promises :p

Hi DPF!

I don't have much more to say, since the other raters did a very nice job! Just to add on though, I second using Psychic over Flash Cannon for the reasons j.franky mentioned above. Also to address your uncertainty with regards to Rotom, I would definitely recommend keeping it Scarfed, whether you wish to use the bulkier aforementioned spread above or not. It's almost necessary to keep threats such as Lucario and Infernape at bay, with Mixape being able to sweep nearly your entire team without a legitimate revenge killer in Rotom.

This is really an excellent and well-built team, and I commend you for that! Good luck!

Roserades leads go down pretty quickly and without roserade a curse pert would just destroy you.. Even if you trick it the pert would probably have +1 which would mean scarf rotom would be 2ko'd after that and it would take out 2...3 or more of your pokes on its own. Like others mentioned you could try a bulkier version of rotom but to solve the curse pert problem I reccomend you use rotom-c lawl.

might do a full rate if I don't forget lolz

I think that would have more to do with how he uses the team than Roserade being frail, because he can switch in Swampert against a majority of her threats.

To the OP, if Cursepert really gives you trouble, consider Grass knot over Mach Punch, but like you said if it's not giving you huge problems don't switch it, personally I think Mach Punch is more useful, especially on a team sans Scizor.

Kind of a noob question here, but why run snorlax as a CB Pursuiter instead of Tyranitar? Is it because the Ape dislikes Sandstorm?

EDIT: Also, how does this team deal with Gliscor, aside from Ice Beam on Swampert?

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
Cool team. Let's see what I can do here.

Roserade looks fine.

Rotom-H is a great counter&revenge killer, but I don't feel that your EV spread is right. Rotom absolutely needs bulk if he is going to be spin-blocking, as switch-ins to Payback and Surf will wear you down very quicky, not to mention the fact that Scizor really beats when you're repeatedly switching in on U-Turns and Bullet Punches. Try a set of 200 HP/56 SATK/252 SPE. Those HP EVs in particular don't do anything, but you need to find a number that accomplishes something because Rotom needs HP.

Swampert looks fine. I don't really like Protect on Swampert, though, and I'd suggest that you replace it with Roar. Honestly, it's a preference thing, and if you feel that Protect works for you, than keep it.

I like that you are using Snorlax, he's a very under appreciated Pokemon. However, maybe you could replace Crunch with Fire Punch. Since you already have Pursuit for Ghosts, you can use Fire Punch as a more reliable check for steels than Superpower.

Jirachi needs at least 176 speed EVs and a Timid nature to be most effective. Otherwise, you're putting yourself at risk from powerful physical threats like Lucario and Adamant Salamence.

Infernape should really be carrying a STAB Fire move somewhere to beat Skarmory. Try it over Stone Edge, since with a Swords Dance and Stealth Rock factored in, Gyarados is hammered by Close Combat, and aside from that, your team handles it relatively well anyway. Mach Punch is good for beating CS Jirachi and Heatran, so I'll let you keep that. It's also a reliable way of revenge killing Tyranitar and Lucario.

Hope I helped, good luck with your team.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I've edited in the changes that i felt were really beneficial. Keep them rates coming.

yond

mitt game strong
is a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Sup my aussie :P.
Not going to include an indepth rate with calcs and shit, but hey ill point some stuff out.
Anywho.... I love this team since you made is around SD ape. This thing rapes the metagame.

Looking through your team i see that most of the weak points have been spotted and mentioned. I agree with all the changes you implemented except you kept flash cannon over pyschic.
Pyschic will provide jirachi with much needed type coverage.

One other thing you might consider on rotom is discharge over thunderbolt. Discharge can still hit gyarados and other water types hard while providing you with a poke that can easily get off paralyis on faster pokes. (obviously because of choice scarf)
with this paralys support it can help your infernape have an easier sweep since it handles pokes such as starmie and latias. who can easily take a mach punch and outspeed.

cheers

This is a really solid team, and I hope to see more RMT's with this much thought put into it. The core really helps eliminate nape's threats (who are very limited in today's metagame), and I think more teams need that kind of support. The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5, is because you also have a pretty big DD mence weakness, once pert has been weakened, and you have a few Pokemon that allow it to set up with ease. Otherwise, solid team.

Thanks a lot Phil <3 but where are the stars :( I'm also gonna try out psychic, even though i really like flash cannon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)