ORAS PU Monkeys and Roses (Peak #1)

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor

Monkeys and Roses

Hello PUsers, this is Rattled Snakes here RMTing my first succesful PU team.
When I somehow got fluke drafted into PUPL, I knew that I couldn't afford to be dead weight and started rapidly trying to learn the metagame especially considering I maybe touched PU like twice before I got selected. One thing I noticed while learning PU is that so many teams can get exploited by Toxic Spikes. Arbok and Roselia are really the only relevant grounded poision types and common forms of hazard removal get pressured by Roselia. Grounded removers hate to get toxiced by the spikes they have to remove and aerial removers like Swanna and Crygonal risk getting sludge bomb poisoned and then the tspikes game starts to put even more pressure. Now to abuse the tspikes pressure that Roselia has I decided on using Substitute+Nasty Plot simisear. Most of Simisear's natural switchins get brutalized by tspikes. This, in combination with Substitute, lets Simisear wear down its checks before it beats it. (not to mention subbing into Blaze range is major cool) Without further ado, onto the team.
Proof of peak:
2016-05-26_1319.png
Teambuilding Process

This is the core I started with, a tspiker and then a tspike abuser.

I added Swanna because I wanted to check fighting types while also having a hard fitter and forming a crisp FWG core.

I added Metang to give me an answer ice and psychic types while also giving me a stoutland check (which is what i struggled with while building earlier teams)

Gabite provided an electric immunity to prevent volturn from running over me and also forms a pretty nice defensive back bone along with Roselia and Metang.

This team lacked speed and frankly lacked immediate power. I added scarf Chatot as my revenge killer and my go to nuke.

THE TEAM

Aconitum (Roselia) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

I really really like toxic spikes Roselia. As mentioned earlier, it destroys certain builds and even the builds that it isn't major threats too, it can still wall a lot and fish for sludge bomb poisons. It is my main scald switch in and status absorber. The evs are ripped from the Roselia analysis for a specially defensive set.

IN (Simisear) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Focus Blast
- Nasty Plot
Originally a LO NP simisear, I didn't like how i was basically on a timer and I needed to hesitate before switching into weaker hits because I know my sweep might be cut short. Furthermore, I hated how Simisear was so easy to revenge. To increase longevity and to abuse tspikes I decided on a sub lefties set which lets me set up on passive mons and lets me avoid priority and prevents me from getting revenged by anything but Chatot. Another cool aspect of Sub on simisear in addition to the fact that it can rack up tspikes damage is that I can sub into blaze range to get even more power. It is a tradeoff as I lose the initial power of LO, but once Simisear is set up the lack of power is unnoticeable. Sub NP is definitely my favorite Simisear set.

Swagga (Swanna) @ Life Orb
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost
Oh Swanna, what would I do without you... Swanna checks Machoke and Monferno while also providing some speed and offensive power. It checks fire types which can come in on Roselia for free if the opposition plays it right. I did consider a bulkier variant of Swanna but I felt the rest of the team is bulky enough to handle threats and that Swanna should be used as an offensive threat.

levitate where (Metang) @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
I brought in Metang as a check all for a lot of scary threats like Stoutland, Psychic types and Ice types. Pursuit is to take stuff on the switch out because Metang is a liability to getting worn down so I want to take the threats out before they take me out. Thunderpunch is a lure for Swanna because Swanna can cause some trouble if it gets in for free.

Bite me (Gabite) @ Eviolite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 180 HP / 248 Def / 80 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
My physical wall, Gabite also does a good job of stopping or at the very least punishing volt turn.Rough Skin+Toxic Spikes racks up a lot of damage as well. Floatzel can be a threat to the team so I need to play around with rough skin and Metang+Roselia to keep Floatzel at bay. The speed is for adamant Pawniard.

Death Note (Chatot) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ground

Chatot serves as my revenge killer and power hitter. The reason why I picked it over other potential scarfers is because I lacked immediate power and even with only a scarf, Chatot still hits incredibly hard. HP Ground instead of Fighting so I don't lose to opposing Chatot. Timid is because I probably outspeed some things that the analysis told me to outspeed.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-377503962 Pu seasonals game: Turn 30, Simisear subs up on a passive mon and its game over

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-378394562 vs cryalol, simisear sets up on twave clefairy and finishes

http://pastebin.com/GAe536XB importable

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
There's not much more I can say about this than I've already said. This is a great team, definitely one of the best in the metagame right now. The SubNP Simisear + Tspikes is really a stroke of genius and the defensive core is very solid. I'm glad I drafted you for PUPL and it's been fun helping you transform from somewhat of a noob to a great PU player!

the one thing I would add is putting Tailwind on Chatot, I've found that it's a lot more useful than HP ground in general these days and it will give Swanna and Simisear a better opportunity to sweep offensive teams. Other than that it's perfection <(n_n)>

- PU Master MoM​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)