Monotype Mono Ice (A.K.A Hail)

Alolan_Ninetales.png
460MMS.png

Obv i had to start from both the hail setters.

Mamoswine.png
Alolan_Sandslash.png
091MS.png

This 3 are the physical attackers or choice simply because they are respectively the bulkiest CBander, the best poke with Slush Rush and the best poke with Shell Smash useable in a mono ice.

Kyurem.png

Since a team cannot rely only on physical attacker i choose him because of a very good SAtk, the decent natural bulk and the decent typing which have access to Draco Meteor and can cover some weaknesses.

Team Sets;

ninetales.gif

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Sometimes i think that a bulkier version with EVs in HP and SDef with Sub or Toxic or Encore would be better.

abomasnow.gif

Abomasnow-Mega @ Abomasite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard

Unfortunately most of the times it's impossible to exploit SD because as slow as he is only Ice Shard benefits from the boost, i was thinking about Superpower over SD but +2 Ice Shard is still very useful against neutral targets with weakened HPs.

mamoswine.gif

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Sometimes the bulkiness is not enough and i would like to have him more speedy to KO before being KOed but usually he's good.

sandslash.gif

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

Several times spinning for the sake of the team means get KOed losing a potential sweeper, but any defogger i could use would get too much damage from the rocks and would be almost useless in attack, also SE could have get me some KOs if i had space.

cloyster.gif

Cloyster @ White Herb
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Rock Blast
- Icicle Spear
- Liquidation

I have some doubt about the last move because it's a waste of boosted SAtk and i don't know if it's better to change it with Hydro Pump / HP[something] / Explosion to get rid of pokes i cannot OHKO otherwise when i know he would not last any longer.

kyurem.gif

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam

Sometimes a Focus Blast over Earth Power could make the difference but it seems ok.

This Ice team definitely needs a significant amount of improvements:

Encore>HP Fire on Alolan Ninetales: Hidden Power Fire on Alolan Ninetales is honestly not as good as it sounds in theory. Mega Scizor isn't gonna want to set up all over Alolan Ninetales either way and let it get up a free Aurora Veil to neutralize it, and it can't even 2HKO Ferrothorn. Encore is much better because it can disrupt setup sweepers and more defensive Pokemon to make them easier to deal with.

Rocks Mamoswine>Choice Band: As with every Monotype team, Ice 100% needs a Stealth Rock setter, and Mamoswine is the best Pokemon on Ice to perform that role. With Oblivious, it won't have to worry about Taunt users like Deoxys-Speed and Krookodile, and it can utilize Endeavor+Ice Shard with a Focus Sash to blanket check a wide range of threats like Mega Scizor and Mega Lopunny. Choice Band sets only really work if you're pairing it with Piloswine, which is typically too much of a momentum drain to fit on more hyper-offensive teams like this one. For reference, here's the set:

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Jolly>Adamant on Alolan Sandslash: Alolan Sandslash needs to run Jolly in order to outspeed threats like Choice Scarf Victini and +1 Mega Charizard X under hail.

The Cloyster set needs a few specific changes. The first being to replace Liquidation with Hydro Pump. This will allow Cloyster to break past physically defensive Pokemon like Skarmory and Torkoal, which is pretty important considering they can stop Cloyster's sweep with either Whirlwind or Yawn. Next, replace the White Herb with Waterium Z. This will allow Cloyster to break past Pokemon who would otherwise survive a hit like Mega Scizor and Heatran in sun, which is pretty important for the Steel and Fire matchups specifically. Lastly, to go along with Hydro Pump, the EV spread should be changed to 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 252 Spe with a Naive nature. This change will allow Cloyster to always OHKO Choice Scarf Magnezone with a +2 Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock. A Naive nature is important to outspeed certain Choice Scarf Pokemon like Victini, Blacephalon, and Infernape.

Kyurem-Black>Regular Kyurem: Kyurem-Black is the single most important Pokemon to any Ice team. It's superior to Kyurem in pretty much every way outside of a slight Special Attack difference, which shouldn't be that significant anyway. As for the Kyurem-Black set, its current best set is the Life Orb wallbreaking set, as seen here:

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Roost

Lastly, replace Mega Abomasnow: Mega Abomasnow is way too slow to function effectively, and it isn't really helping any matchups that Ice doesn't already win. There are a few options for replacements without having to change up the rest of the team too much. Weavile is one of the best options for hyper-offensive Ice because of its great Speed tier and being able to Pursuit trap things like -1 Mega Gallade, Excadrill, and Victini after a V-Create. Rotom-Frost is another option to fill the role as a bulky pivot with Volt Switch that can also fill the role as a hazard remover. This can let Alolan Sandslash run Swords Dance over Rapid Spin, but double hazard removal is also appreciated. There's also Lapras, which can apply even more pressure against Water with Freeze-Dry while also beating defensive Mega Scizor after some chip damage, as well as Walrein, which doesn't have Freeze-Dry but does offer a Fire resistance with Thick Fat, giving you a somewhat consistent Fire switch-in, and fills the same role of beating bulky Mega Scizor. Here are the sets if you need them:

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit / Low Kick

Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spe
Bold / Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Pain Split

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Walrein @ Choice Specs
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Here's the team after the suggested changes, I hope they helped.

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Oblivious
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Cloyster @ Waterium Z
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 112 Atk / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Roost

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit / Low Kick

Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 168 Spe
Bold / Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Pain Split

Lapras @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Freeze-Dry
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Walrein @ Choice Specs
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)