SS OU MONO ICE - PEAKED #4 SS OU,2037 ELO

Piyush25

is a defending SCL Champion
RoAPL Champion

INTRODUCTION

Hello everyone, it's Piyush, with a really nICE team. I have always wanted to make a mono ice team(due to ice type often being called as the worst type) which works well in the high ladder of PS. With the bans of cinderace and magearna ,this was the perfect opportunity to do so. To flex more I decided not to use the only ou ice type that being Kyurem. Suprisingly the team worked great even in 1900+ on ladder. Without further ado, here is my team.

PROOF OF PEAK

mono ice 4.PNG

TEAM BUILDING PROCESS

For every mono ice team, the first mon to choose is ofcourse a snow warning user. There are only two viable users of this namely alolan ninetales and vanilluxe. Although vanilluxe is much stronger it is very slow therefore I chose alolan ninetales for this role because of its decent bulk, great speed tier and access to wonderful support moves.

:ss/arctozolt:

Next mon I needed was a hail abuser and there was honestly no contest for this role. Arcozolt's decent attacking stats, awesome offensive typing and access to some of the best moves in the game makes it an automatic addition to this team.

:ss/arctozolt: :ss/weavile:

Next I needed a relatively fast mon which can outspeed most things outside of hail. I also wanted a setup sweeper which can clean late game . Therfore I picked weavile due to its amazing speed and sweeping abilities with swords dance.

:ss/arctozolt: :ss/weavile: :ss/mamoswine:

With my first three mons very weak to fire types (heatran and volcarona in general) and the lack of an electric immunity , I chose assault vest thick fat mamoswine. This set can take special hits and often ko back offensive mons.

:ss/arctozolt: :ss/weavile: :ss/mamoswine: :ss/avalugg:

Next I needed some hazard removal and also someone who can take physical hits well. Avalugg fit this role perfectly.

:ss/arctozolt: :ss/weavile: :ss/mamoswine: :ss/avalugg: :ss/sandslash-alola:

I realised I didnt have any stealth rock mon till now .Therefore I chose alolan sandslash for this role. Along with stealth rocks ,it becomes a very dangerous offensive core with arctozolt and also can sweeps teams by sword dancing.

THE TEAM

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Freeze-Dry
- Hail/Encore
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis
Alolan ninetales is the hail and aurora veil setter of the team. Icy Rock is chosen over Light Clay to give more turns of hail for alolan Sandslash and Arctozolt to wreak havoc. Ninetales can also occasionaly setup aurora veil for easier setup of weavile and sandslash. Max speed is important in outspeeding a large amount of ou tier and generally using hypnosis or veil. Max health allows it to take certain hits from mons mainly grassy glide from rillaboom and flamethrower from specs pult. Freeze dry allows to hit super effectively mons like pelliper,tapu fini,gastrodon and urshifu-water allowing the slush rush users to sweep. Hypnosis is a very important move on ninetales. Due to its great speed it can put something to sleep and allow other mons to switchin safely. Last move can be hail or encore. Hail is great in reseting the weather on incoming sand or rain setters while encore can be great in locking opponents to a undesirable move and allowing others to switch in. Hail also provides extra chip damage each turn which is vital in many situtaions.

Arctozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Bolt Beak
- Icicle Spear
- Low Kick
Arctozolt is the real MVP of this team .It fills the role of a balance and stall breaker also being a menace for offensive teams. Life orb is used over heavy duty boots for power especially as life orb gives the extra power to ohko or 2hko some mons mainly 2hkoing defensive ferro. Bolt beak gives arctozolt and effectively 170 bp stab electric move which almost ohkos most offensive mons and 2hkoing the defensive ones. Icicle spear is used over crash in breaking substitutes especially that of kyurem and hex pult and also to ohko dragonite . Icicle crash allows it to hit mons that normally resist/are immune to bolt beak. Freeze dry allows arctozolt to ohko quagsire and 2hko Gastrodon and Swampert, some of its best switches. Freeze dry also lessens the prediction against a core like landorus+ toxapex. Low kick allows arctozolt to 2hko ferrothorn, Kyurem, Excadrill , Magnezone and most importantly ohko Tyrantitar which is a very huge threat to this team. Naughty nature is used over lonely to live a grassy glide from rillaboom.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard/Low Kick
Weavile fills in the role of the speed control and also a late game sweeper for the team. Life orb is preferred over heavy duty boots as it allows weavile to ohko clefable and ferrothorn with +2 triple axel and also ohkoing rillaboom with +2 ice shard. Swords dance is there for getting the important kills at +2 and also sometimes sweeping whole teams. Knock off is not only a strong stab move but it also helps in removing the leftovers/black sludge from various defensive mons . Triple axel is a fantastic stab move as it allows weavile to ohko most neutral mons at +2 . Axel is preffered over crash due to its more power and also breaking substitutes of mons especially kyurem .
Ice shard is a fantastic stab and priority move allowing weavile to dish out impressive damage to faster and scarf mons especially tapu koko, sand rush excadrill and dragapult. It also helps a lot in revenge killing setup sweepers like hawlucha and dd dragonite. Low kick can also be used as it ohkos bisharp and 2hkos ferro and heatran.

Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
Mamoswine fills the role of an offensive check to special attackers and electric immunity . Mamoswine is key in dealing with heatran and volcarona. The speed evs is to outspeed modest magnezone and the rest is used in hp to take special hits well. Assault vest is the key item here which allows mamoswine to live 2 shadow balls from pult and also a specs focus blast from Tapu Lele. Icicle Crash is a great stab move with a nice chance to flinch which allows mamoswine to 1v1 Clefable and sometimes corviknight . Earthquake is also a great high bp stab moves which does a great deal of damage to all neutral mons . Ice shard is there for the priority which can come in handy in revenge killing weakened targets like scarf kartana and weakened Pult. Rock tomb is the main way of beating defensive quiver dance volcarona , moltres and also to 1v1 sub kyurem as it lowers the speed of the opponent on hitting.

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Recover
- Iron Defense
- Rapid Spin
Avalugg is the physical tank and hazard removal mon of this team . It is the main switchin to most physical offensive mons of the tier .Due to its massive physical bulk it can even prevent the 2hko from supereffective moves like excadrill's Iron head and Scarf Kartana's smart strike .Heavy duty boots is great in making avalugg take nothing from hazards and also keeping the sturdy intact always. Rapid spin is there for removing hazards . The combination on iron defense and body press is great in handling many threats to this team namely Kartana,Iron defense and Body press corviknight ,Rillaboom,Urshifu-Water etc. Recover is great for the guaranteed 50% healing and longevity.

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Earthquake
Alolan Sandslash is the offensive stealth rocker of the team . Life orb is important in nabbing important kos . Jolly is used over adamant to outspeed scarf Landorus. Stealth rock is the entry hazard of this team which allows sweepers in getting kills much easier . Swords dance gives sandslash a serious chance in cleaning teams late game. Triple axel is a fantastic stab which allows it to heavily dent defensive mons like corviknight and Ferrothorn allowing others to sweep. Earthquake is great in doing huge damage at +2 to mons like toxapex,tapu fini,melmetal,urshifu water and even slowking.

THREAT LIST
:ss/bisharp: :ss/scizor: :ss/kartana:

Steel types in general gives this team a hard time due to obvious reasons but all of them can be dealt with smart plays . Bisharp doesnt 2hko avalugg with iron head and dies to body press. Band kartana is not a big problem as arctozolt and weavile can revenge kill. But for dealing with Scarf Kartana keep avalugg at full health as it doesnt get 2hkod from smart strike. Defensive Scizor is not that much of an issue as iron defense avalugg beats it 1v1 but Lo scizor on offensive teams can be a huge threat . For that use alolan sansdslash+ avalugg to beat it as sandslash lives a +2 bullet punch . Thankfully Scizor in general is rare and its most common set is the defensive version.

:ss/urshifu-rapid-strike: :ss/hawlucha:

Urshifu-rapid-strike is probably the biggest threat to this team . The key to beat it is playing aggressively against it and chipping it down with hail+triple axel from weavile or alolan sandslash or just freeze dry from alolan ninetales. Hawlucha is also a big threat to this team as it outspeeds everything under hail. But it can't switchin on anything and also gets no room for setup. Best way it to dent it enough with Avalugg and hail and revenge kill it with ice shard from weavile or Mamoswine.

:ss/victini:

Victini though very rare also gives troubles to this team. Mamoswine takes a hit from Vicitini and Earthquakes to kill whereas alolan sandslash can also outspeed it in hail and do a great deal of damage. Weavile kills victini if it is not scarfed or if it has lowered its speed from v-create drops.

REPLAYS
Vs victini : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1294282967-97nnnhdhstmlxjhirycqm40i02bazm3pw
Vs storm zone : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1294277229-62eynddd29jj3cbxqzjnfe1ab3nqyarpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1306329424-fn3h5tu2pjgjjebta4pdb9qowlq6iy3pw
Vs stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1310568176-158znqq2msxrerfxdnkmpnqeu15vmizpw
Vs heatran+ferrothorn: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1294252243-pw65k39o8bfxu184t5h4g6nka7wsgu0pw
Vs Coach Jones 6fifth: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1296140256-5aphgpditz3ees6xu25lvtrpaevoppcpw
Vs Bisharp balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1296142992-fft6ktssynuht69hddejpmrkdviutxjpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1313066211-v091qj69nal685npe67jgsy0e9so8o0pw
Vs Kyurem balance: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1296144627-dfxzpucscz2bjpzijmqmovg2zzwszqopw
Vs Bishap+zapdos galar ho: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1297439491-qg332ph40qmam9d9mg19p5obor8mvtipw
Vs Kartana+zone balance : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1297439491-qg332ph40qmam9d9mg19p5obor8mvtipw
Vs urshifu-rapid-strike : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1306311843-sb21l14pv8o6qirccadwvenl3pgv70qpw
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1310559242-j87cuj84wwqcxukwts5375q1pmwcx42pw
Vs pressure stall : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1310561922-n743c9wx0n5phbyg6dytnldhi81l5zhpw
Vs kartana balance : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1313064697-j7wsuqve6vqy3xqhtq329f0ccbu46pupw

CONCLUSION

Thank you to anyone who read this far!! This is my first team showcase and I hope I did it well. Although this team havs quite a few weakness ,it still works great . Also nothing feels better than beating ur opponent with 6 ice types and no ou mon. Hope this team makes playing fun for you. Have fun!!

IMPORTABLE

Ninetales-Alola @ Icy Rock
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Hail
- Aurora Veil
- Hypnosis

Arctozolt @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Bolt Beak
- Icicle Spear
- Low Kick

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- Ice Shard

Mamoswine @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash

Avalugg @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- Recover
- Iron Defense
- Rapid Spin

Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance
- Triple Axel
- Earthquake

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi! I really like your ice team and looks really cool. May I suggest you put Wide Lens :wide-lens: on Sandslash-Alola :sandslash-alola: so it gives Triple Axel more power? You have 3 mons with Life Orb :life-orb: and thought you could switch it up a bit. I got this idea from Pinkacross as their team was also amazing. Also I think you could put in a Overcoat Mandibuzz :mandibuzz: with Leftovers :leftovers: / Heavy Duty Boots :heavy-duty-boots: in exchange for Mamoswine :mamoswine: or Avalugg :avalugg: . With complete immunity to hazards and weather it could also provide pivoting for your team with U-Turn and hazard remover with Defog. Also having longevity from Roost I think it would really make your team a lot more viable. Other than that your team is amazing and I hope you make more teams in the future!

Hey there! I've tried your team and it's fantastic! I'm kinda new to strategy and looking for something nice to play, seems like I've found it!
You've got compliments from my opponents too x)
Also I wanted to ask : I've made the team in SwandSh and Knock Off seems to be unavailable on Weavile, what would you recommend to replace it? I'm thinking about Fling but not sure about it.
I'd like to fight my friend's mono dragon type with it btw
Take care and thanks again!

Hi! I really like your ice team and looks really cool. May I suggest you put Wide Lens :wide-lens: on Sandslash-Alola :sandslash-alola: so it gives Triple Axel more power? You have 3 mons with Life Orb :life-orb: and thought you could switch it up a bit. I got this idea from Pinkacross as their team was also amazing. Also I think you could put in a Overcoat Mandibuzz :mandibuzz: with Leftovers :leftovers: / Heavy Duty Boots :heavy-duty-boots: in exchange for Mamoswine :mamoswine: or Avalugg :avalugg: . With complete immunity to hazards and weather it could also provide pivoting for your team with U-Turn and hazard remover with Defog. Also having longevity from Roost I think it would really make your team a lot more viable. Other than that your team is amazing and I hope you make more teams in the future!
This is mono ice he can’t use mandibuzz

Is mandibuzz and ice type now?

My favorite part of this team is all the other RMTs here with these carefully EVed Pokémon all named after song lyrics with wall of texts and shoutouts and yet here we have Piyush "here's 6 fucking ice types, peaked #4 lol".

Amazing team, I have nothing really useful to add. Excellent job. I can't wait to mess around with it on the ladder. Thank you for posting!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)