Monogamous relationships vs. Polyamorous relationships

Which one is do you prefer? Monogamous or Polyamorous?

• Total voters

Tory

Banned deucer.
Welcome everyone, it is time to make a comparison between monogamous and polyamorous. Just like all relationships, it emphasize with trust, honestly, honor, and dignity. The main structure romantic partners would like to avoid of all cause is jealousy and possessiveness.

I have visit polyamorous meetings before, these places have very accepting great people, they are lgbt friendly as well. They also don't discriminate on sexual identity such as shaming male virgins and shaming promiscuous females. These are some great events to attend to. You guys should visit them at your metropolitan area (if you live in one).

What are monogamous relationships? The practice or condition of participating simultaneously with only one serious romantic partner.

What are polyamorous relationships? The practice or condition of participating simultaneously in multiple serious romantic with the knowledge and consent of all partners.

Which one do you think is a better choice to belong in?

EDIT: Please keep Myzozoa out of this topic to avoid trolling, thank you everyone.

Last edited:
Neither one is somehow better then the other one. To have an actual healthy polyamorous relationship, it has to have a whole lot of clear communication between everyone involved, even more then a monogamous relationship does. Frankly, a lot of people keep seeing it as "Yay I can date and fuck multiple people without any consequences!!!" which will almsot inevitably lead to things breaking down horribly within the group. As well, some people just don't want to be in polyamorous relationships and can't really do them effectively, and forcing that onto them is shitty as fuck

Asheviere

Banned deucer.
I've personally never seen a polyamorous relationship go well, and I've seen them go wrong quite a lot. I'm open to having my eyes opened but to me it just seems like a Really Bad Idea™ that's doomed to fail from the start.

Call of Winter

Banned deucer.
I've observed 3 polyamorous relationships personally and they all ended pretty badly. I don't really think polyamorous relationships can't work but I'd think they would require a significant amount more work than monogomous relationships, to the point that I don't really think they're reasonable for a lot of people. I wouldn't think less of a polyamorous relationship but I'd certainly think it's more likely to end poorly.

Alore

i'm sorry
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I don't think either is better, who cares what people wanna do if it's legal

I ain't fucking w polygamy but if u want to and he/she/other want to, go ahead

Just do what you prefer and are comfortable with, and make sure all parties are satisfied

There are shades and flavours to the varieties of polyamorous relationship structures out there. Some are just couples with extraneous sexual partners for casual fantasy and non-committed sexual experiences (swingers, cuckholds, etc.), while others choose a serious romantic relationship dynamic amongst the involved.

Personally, I feel less "ick" about the former mostly for the reason that there isn't an invited romantic and emotional dimension that just makes everything messy and super personal imo. But just for myself, I'd rather not be involved in either kind of scenario.

I agree with all above, there is not exactly the best definition, what is better is the chemistry of the partners in the relationship, depending on the situation, a trio can stand out more than a double for example.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think, on paper, a polyamorous relationship can work if all the variables mentioned by previous posters (communication, clearly defined expectations and goals, absolute committal to those goals) are present, but I personally feel as though it's virtually impossible to achieve long term in practice. Sex is a deeply intimate and vulnerable activity, and i don't think it's possible to continue having sex with the same person indefinitely without at least one of you developing some sort of attachment or feelings. Once these feelings start to creep in, the relationship will slowly weaken unless it is converted to a monogamous relationship. I think the length of time a polyamorous relationship can work successfully will vary depending on the people involved, but I believe the end result will be the same after enough time has passed. I think the definition of a successful polyamorous relationship would be one that was executed for a period of time and then ended or converted amicably by all parties involved before it deteriorated.

Tl;dr polyamorous relationships can work in the short term, but every one will eventually break down over a long enough period of time.

Polyamoury can certainly go well if all the party members involved are in sync with each other and have the right personality to really want it and enjoy it. I know a handful of people that have made successful polyamoury relationships! I'm sure anyone else can too. Just remember, it takes a certain set of personality traits, and a good ammount of argeement and synch from each person involved. Its not as easy as it sounds.

I prefer monogamous relationships because I am very jealous and would not be able to share my partner with someone else. I have seen more than once examples of polyamor pairs and they are very happy and friendly. There is also jealousy in their relationship, but they very much trust their partners, which I even envy a little. I hardly agreed to diversify our intimate life with a partner, I agreed that we sometimes visit adult dating sites https://hookupmasters.com/ , for me it was an interesting, but difficult experience.

Last edited:
I don't think one is inherently better than the other. It all depends on the person, what they value, who they're with, where they are in life, what they want in a relationship, etc etc.

I'm polyamorous, but I've been in both monogamous and polyamorous relationships. I'll never forget the moment I realized I didn't care for monogamy, personally... I was just 18 and my ex called me (we were dating at the time) and confessed to me in a very intense and heartfelt manner: "I made out with someone else when I didn't mean to." In tears and truly apologetic, I'm sure my ex thought that it would be a dealbreaker and I'd be very disappointed. Now, I loved my ex. I asked "Do you still love me?" to which my ex responded, "yes, of course I do." And really, that's all that was important to me. I didn't mind if my ex went and made out with another person if, at the end of the day, we still loved each other. I even asked, with genuine curiosity, if it felt nice. I really hoped it did, truly! If my ex making out with someone made them happy, then why would I want to stop that from happening?
Since then, we've broken up for unrelated reasons (we both wanted to live different lives in different countries), but that moment was one that really made me think about relationships and how they are formed. When we dated, we went in thinking "ok, we are dating," but never really ironed out the details of our relationships. We never really asked "what things are ok to do with other people?" so I never explored the thought that I was ok with other people being involved.

After that incident and reflection as to why I felt how I felt, I believe that my relationships should have a "contract" that clearly defines what is expected and what the boundaries are. And in general, I think this would be good practice to other people as well.

Why? Well, monogamy and polyamory are looked at in a very black and white manner, but I think there's more bleed than what meets the eye. I can't count how many straight women I know who are in monogamous relationships with men, for example, who allow them to "sleep with other women, but NOT with other men." Sounds awfully polyamorous to me, but they consider themselves completely monogamous. Of course, there are varying degrees to polyamory too! Some people simply form noncommittal bonds with others while others truly want to live with more than one spouse as a family.

People should have the ability to know exactly what their relationship is and how it should be navigated (and of course be able to change things with effective communication if needed). That, to me, is one of the biggest keys to success in making a relationship last- monogamous or polyamorous. Either is possible.

Fast forward to now. I've been with my lovely s/o for nearly 3 years now. In the beginning, before we started dating, I said: "If we are to be in a relationship, I would need it to be open. That's just who I am and what I prefer. We can iron out the details, but generally that's what I want. Now, I want you to reflect on this and if it aligns with your values and what you are looking for, and let me know when you are ready. Do not give me an answer at this moment when we are next to each other, because I want you to truly think about it and pick what is best for you."
After nearly a week, my s/o agreed and wanted to enter an open relationship with me. We made our relationship completely open to others. In other words, we could form romantic and sexual bonds with others how we saw fit but we weren't necessarily looking to add a "third." There have been some people I've been on one date with, and there have been people I've formed years-long connections with and cherish deeply. We even introduced and shared our newfound connections with each other sometimes, which was always nice. Spreading the love and whatnot. And every single day through our relationship, I've continuously loved, supported, and grown with my s/o. We are truly happy together, and we have so much love in our hearts for each other.

so, tldr: polyamory is my personal preference but I think neither is better than the other. An important thing is communication between those involved to truly define what is being established, needed, and unacceptable. Either can work.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It's hard enough work (in a good way) to just keep one SO happy, adding another I think I'd die.

Poly relationships never end in a great way from i have seen and neither have "open" relationships, I also think the idea of it it's a bit silly, but hey, i'm all for respecting other people ideals as long as they don't harm anyone else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)