Monotype Monotype celeSteela stall

I've been using this team for around a month and a half now and while I do decently well I have noticed there are some weaknesses that I am unsure how to combat. I want to keep the spirit of stall team but some of the difficulties are against typings such at electric where Zapdos seems to render my Excadrill useless being able to take his Rock slides quite well thus meaning that the other electric types can run game on my Celesteela and Skarmory not allowing me to get any kind of stall started since they are almost always OHKO or THKO. There are other typing matchups I have problems with but if I get lucky with some misses I can get toxics and at least a stealth rock up to help. Any advice is much appreciated but keep in mind I do want to increase the stall or get advice as to how i can fix the kits to help with that goal.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill -
I use Excadrill as my speed demon. A lot of teams are neutral or weak to earthquake so I like to send Excadrill in after I have set up at least stealth rocks if not a leech seed so that I can get a free switch in. I use a scarf build on him because I don't think he'd be of any use without it as his speed on its own just isn't enough to keep him on the team. The earthquake gives good damage on most Pokemon and allows me to outspeed and get good hits off until they decide to switch into a ground immune Pokemon. The iron head is meant to give me an option for fairy and ice types. Rock slide is for either a flying team or after switching in and hard reading the flying type switch in response which works more often than it doesn't. I use him as my rapid spinner since he can get in rapid spin first on a Pokemon that will most likely switch out and then hard switch into something like Ferrothorn or Celesteela

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Celesteela -
Cesteela is my major stall point. I use her as a hard switch into fighting types so that she can benefit from her neutral damage due to the flying combination along with her natural bulkiness to tank the hit. Leech seed for obvious reasons so that I can stay healthy while slowly widdling down anyone who stays in with seed on them. Protect because it protects. Heavy slam is the only offensive option as it gives another option for fairy and ice types and allowing for that last little bit of chip damage against opponents who are dying from leech and Toxic. Toxic is used for reading the switch in after I have seeded them and they decide they don't want to eat the damage. I use her as a pivot point and switch into her often if I need to relieve a pokemon or feel like I can set up seed or toxic.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn -
Ferrothorn is another one of my stall points with the leech seed and stealth rock kit along with protect. The leech seed and stealth rock I feel are self explanatory as they are used to get small bits of chip damage on any enemy breaking sturdy and sash. I use power whip as the offensive move as it helps to cover water types since I don't really have anything else to combat them effectively. Ferrothorn is also used as one of my hard switch ins to get either Excadrill or Scizor out of the field if they are being countered by something..

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Scizor -
Scizor is the only Pokemon on this team in the almost month and a half I have been running this team I really haven't used all that much. He doesn't really seem to fit on my stall team but I can't seem to figure out what to replace him with and he has given me some wins with a +2 bullet punch spam when on my last leg. I find in most situations I'd rather switch into one of my stallers and just try to set up again as almost every team has some sort of fire or pokemon that would resist my attacks rendering him useless.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Skarmory -
Skarmory has an odd position on my team. I enjoy using Skarmory as if the opponent tries to set themselves up i get free double spikes most of the time and then can Whirlwind their set up Pokemon with the survival through Sturdy. If its fighting type or grass(uncommon) and their set up doesn't increase def I can often just brave bird it and then at that point Skarmory did his job well and I can either attempt roost or switch out until I can put it back in a faster match-up for roosts.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Atk / 184 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Heatran -
Heatran's a valuable asset on my team when I am able to switch him in safely, the Magma storm offers great DOT and stone edge/earth power are great for options if i'm in a bad match-up and don't feel safe hard-switching into one of my other options allowing him to get good damage before he goes down. It also is a good switch in against fire type teams and dragon teams sometimes due to the fact that I can bait a fire type move with ferrothorn switch into heatran and gain a boost to my stats while allowing for a good trapper and dot pokemon.

Hi your team is solid but could use some improvements!

First off I'd suggest running a Faster Heatran for a little more speed control on the team and to speed tie with oppoisng Heatran on the ladder. Running Air Balloon over Leftovers is to further give you insurance vs Volcarona setting up and sweeping the team and so opposing Heatran cannot touch you unless your balloon is popped. Because we also are making the Heatran fast, Taunt over Protect is a better stall breaking option vs fatter teams and effectively Trap and prevent recovery from Toxapex/Venusaur etc.

Also since you are not finding success with that Mega Scizor set, I'd suggest running a more Defensive Mega Scizor Set. U-Turn provides you with the ability to pivot out. Roost provides you with reliable recovery. Running Max HP with a fair amount of SpD investment will allow you to take special hits a lot easier (that Ferrothorn cannot take such as Mega Alakazams Fcous Blast and Alolan Raichu's Thunderbolt). 56 Speed EVs let you outspeed Adamant Azumarill so you can 2HKO it at 50% with Bullet Punch before it can 2HKO you with +6 Aqua Jet. Bulky SD can also setup on a lot more threats in the metagame and can clean late game.

With those two major changes I can foresee quite more success! Good luck with the team!!

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 28 Atk / 224 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

Last edited:
Hi your team is solid but could use some improvements!

First off I'd suggest running a Faster Heatran for a little more speed control on the team and to speed tie with oppoisng Heatran on the ladder. Running Air Balloon over Leftovers is to further give you insurance vs Volcarona setting up and sweeping the team and so opposing Heatran cannot touch you unless your balloon is popped. Because we also are making the Heatran fast, Taunt over Protect is a better stall breaking option vs fatter teams and effectively Trap and prevent recovery from Toxapex/Venusaur etc.

Also since you are not finding success with that Mega Scizor set, I'd suggest running a more Defensive Mega Scizor Set. U-Turn provides you with the ability to pivot out. Roost provides you with reliable recovery. Running Max HP with a fair amount of SpD investment will allow you to take special hits a lot easier (that Ferrothorn cannot take such as Mega Alakazams Fcous Blast and Alolan Raichu's Thunderbolt). 56 Speed EVs let you outspeed Adamant Azumarill so you can 2HKO it at 50% with Bullet Punch before it can 2HKO you with +6 Aqua Jet. Bulky SD can also setup on a lot more threats in the metagame and can clean late game.

With those two major changes I can foresee quite more success! Good luck with the team!!

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 28 Atk / 224 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stone Edge

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
Thank you for the advice :) I'll be sure to try these out tonight and see how it goes!

Your team seems rather good. I think it's what most people are using right now on steel. I do agree with splashbrutha comment though a more offensive scizor set as you originally made is also viable. Just a quick remark you have only 3 purely defensive mons in skarmory, ferrothorn and celesteela among which only one has access to reliable recovery so I think your team belongs more to the balance playstyle. Anyways, good luck with your team, I hope to see you soon high on top ladder :-) !

I would add toxic to drill. I don’t see how you deal with sableye otherwise unless you’re able to get the upper hand somehow with scizor.
Also with rocks and spikes you’ll be forcing your opponent to Defog more often than not so you don’t really need spin on drill.

I would add toxic to drill. I don’t see how you deal with sableye otherwise unless you’re able to get the upper hand somehow with scizor.
Also with rocks and spikes you’ll be forcing your opponent to Defog more often than not so you don’t really need spin on drill.
I do agree. M-sableye is so annoying that you need to be prepared against. I also like keeping rapid spin and ditching iron head since m-scizor's bullet punch already acts as a fast and strong steel type attack for revenge killing purposes. On steel teams, rapid spin is not that useful for removing stealth rocks which doesn't do much damage to most of the team members but more for sticky web. With sticky webs up, excadrill can't even rk volcarona at +0 in the bug matchup or revenge kill basically anything in the rock, normal and electric matchup. Although the first one isn't necessarily a problem for steel, with webs on your side of the field diggersby and zeraora can become problematic. Despite this, iron head is of course an option.

Hey I got one change to add that might seem really immaterial but is actually really important.

On teams where you are running Stealth Rock and Spikes on the same team on the combination of Ferrothorn and Skarmory, you should always run Stealth Rock on Skarmory and Spikes on Ferrothorn. This is because Skarmory has Sturdy, which lets it typically get up Stealth Rock when you need it most, such as against Fire teams. Spikes on Ferrothorn is crucial because Water teams may sometimes struggle to get past its annoying Power Whip and Leech Seed, giving it precious turns to set up multiple layers of Spikes. Having as many Spikes layers as possible makes it all the easier to take on Keldeo, and Skarmory simply does not have any good opportunities to stack Spikes against Water.

Hope that helps optimize this team just a little bit more!

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Spikes

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)