Monotype Monotype Dark Team

Dark Monotype Team

So this team was in the works for quite a while. The thing is, it was kind of hard for me to build it. I tried my best however, and I think it's decent, but it needs some work. It's meant to be a more Balanced team.

The Team

Hydreigon
Hydreigon @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast

Hydreigon is a powerful Dark wallbreaker. It has an amazing typing in Dark / Dragon that gives it almost perfect neutral coverage against any type except Fairy. Its Dragon typing helps it resist the 4 main typings (Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric) that may threaten his other teammates, and it has decent bulk to allow it to switch into a decent amount of attacks comfortably. It also has an excellent movepool, decent Speed, and great Special Attack that makes it a powerful wallbreaker. Its ability in Levitate allows it to be immune to Ground and most entry hazards like Sticky Web, Toxic Spikes, and Spikes.

I personally prefer an Expert Belt on Hydreigon over Life Orb and Choice Specs because I like the lack of recoil damage with LO and the ability to switch moves with CS. Besides, it helps me wallbreak easier. Timid is for increased Speed. Draco Meteor is for a powerful Dragon STAB, and it helps deal with opponents who are tough to bring down. Dark Pulse provides good coverage and is a nice STAB move that isn't Knock Off. Focus Blast and Fire Blast are for coverage against Steel and Ice types, especially Ferrothorn and other bulky Steel types who take extra damage from it due to Expert Belt (and 4x weaknesses in Fire Blast against Ferrothorn). Fire Blast also additionally deals with Mega Mawile, Mega Scizor, and Skarmory. The EV spread maximizes Hydreigon's power and speed, and gives it a bit of bulk.

Sableye
Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Sableye is a very important member of this team because of its partial Ghost typing. This gives it an immunity to Fighting types, who could really be problematic to my team. It also takes neutral damage from Bug, which helps again Landorus-T and Bug teams. It's only weak to Fairy, which other members can deal with. I chose Prankster for my Sableye prior to mega evolution because I can use a priority Will-O-Wisp to weaken the opposing team without being hit or Taunted. After Mega Evolution, Magic Bounce is extremely helpful for protecting my team against entry hazards and status conditions and instead bounces it back to harm the opposing team. Magic Bounce also helps deal with bulkier teams that can otherwise easily wear my team down. Mega Sableye is also a bulky Pokemon that has access to reliable recovery, which is very important for any walls/bulky Pokemon to have, and it has good enough defenses to take a neutral Z-move. Knock Off is an important move for crippling opponents, especially when dealing with Pokemon who heavily rely on their items such as Chansey. Foul Play helps deal with set-up sweepers and Recover gives Mega Sableye more longevity so it isn't easily worn down by entry hazards or manual switch-ins to attacks. The EV set capitalizes on Mega Sableye's bulk and longevity. 144 Special Defense EVs allows Sableye to soak up attacks from Pokemon such as Sheer Force Nidoking, and 112 Defense EVs allows Sableye to take attacks from threatening Pokemon such as Choice Scarf Terrakion.

Mandibuzz
Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Mandibuzz is an extremely useful Pokemon on my team. Her fantastic bulk combined with her ability to check Fighting and Bug types makes her a very important part on my team. The Rocky Helmet is there to punish physical attackers that might try to attack Mandibuzz. Overcoat helps protect her against Sand Stream, especially when Tyranitar is on the team. It also helps against Spore Breloom or Amoonguss. The HP and Defense EVs with an Impish nature ensures that Mandibuzz is as bulky as possible. The 16 Speed EVs allows Mandibuzz to outspeed 252 Speed Adamant Azumarill. Roost gives Mandibuzz reliable recovery so she can consistently check Pokemon like Heracross. Defog allows Mandibuzz to remove entry hazards, and Foul Play punishes set up sweepers such as Belly Drum Azumarill and Mega Scizor. Toxic also allows her to stall out the opponent and puts a lot of pressure on them, especially against Fighting types.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Thunder Wave
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar synergizes well with Mandibuzz due to her Overcoat ability and his Sand Stream ability. Tyranitar is a special wall for the team, especially since it's part Rock. The Chople Berry allows Tyranitar to take a Fighting move, something it is 4x weak to. The EVs capitalize on his bulk, and the 4 Special Attack EVs help Tyranitar to get more power out of Fire Blast. The Sassy nature also doesn't sacrifice Tyranitar's Fire Blast power. Stealth Rock chips the opposing Pokemon whenever they switch in, and is especially useful for breaking Breloom's Focus Sash and Dragonite's Multiscale. Stone Edge is Tyranitar's main STAB move and allows him to hit Volcarona, Zapdos, and Kyurem-B. Thunder Wave gives Tyranitar a form of speed control and cripples Mega Altaria. Fire Blast hits Mega Scizor, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn, Pokemon that would otherwise wall Tyranitar.

Alolan Muk
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide

Because the majority of Fairies used in the meta take neutral damage from Steel attacks due to a second typing, Poison is becoming a bit more useful than ever, and it is especially important on this team. And since Alolan Muk is part Dark, meaning it doesn't have to worry about a Psychic move from Gardevoir or Tapu Lele. Alolan Muk also has fantastic special bulk to be able to take a lot of hits, which its EV set capitalizes on. The Assault Vest, plus a Careful nature, improves Alolan Muk's Special Defense. 248 HP and 12 Defense EVs mean that even after Stealth Rock damage, Muk will never be OHKO'ed by Choice Scarf Victini's V-Create. Poison Touch also gives Muk the ability to poison its target, and is especially effective with Poison Jab. Poison Jab also checks Fairy types. Knock Off is a decent STAB attack that removes items off of Pokemon, especially Eviolites and Choice items so Muk can more easily take them out. Rock Slide is also a great coverage move and OHKOs significant threats to Dark teams like Volcarona. In addition, it usually OHKO's Mega Charizard Y and significantly damages Mega Pinsir, preventing the latter from safely setting up. Fire Punch also deals with Steel types like Klefki and Mega Scizor.

Greninja
Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory

Finally, we have Greninja, one of the most useful Pokemon on this team thanks to its amazing movepool.

I personally don't like the Choice Scarf set for Greninja on mono Dark, so I'm using the offensive set. I went with a Life Orb because I really hated being locked into one move for Greninja. I genuinely felt restricted with his moveset and I felt like I wasn't able to use Greninja properly. So, I switched to the Life Orb. A little less fast, but hey, at least I could use all of my moves to my advantage and my opponent won't be able to take advantage of Protean+Choice Scarf. Anyways, I thought Greninja would be a really good member of the team because of its access to Gunk Shot and Extrasensory, not to mention its Protean ability making him able to switch types depending on the move he uses. This is especially useful on monotype. The Naive nature increases his Speed without lowering his Attack. Because I have Gunk Shot, a Timid nature would weaken its power and make it harder to check Fairy Pokemon. Therefore, a Naive nature is better in this case, especially since I don't have a Choice Scarf. This Nature along with maxed out Speed allows Greninja to outspeed anything that has under base 122 Speed and doesn't use a Choice Scarf. Maxed out Special Attack also lets Greninja hit as hard as possible, and Life Orb helps him do a lot more damage to the opposing team. These things are amplified from the STAB of Protean. Since Gunk Shot is a physical move, I have 4 Attack EVs for a small boost in power. However, I don't need a lot though, since he'll get STAB from Gunk Shot anyway and Gunk Shot is an already powerful move boosted by the Life Orb. Hydro Pump is Greninja's strongest STAB move for hitting threats such as Mega Diancie, Heatran, and Excadrill. Ice Beam is for hitting Flying, Ground, and Dragon types such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, Mega Altaria, Zapdos, and Gliscor. Gunk Shot is for hitting Fairy types, and it even OHKOs Azumarill! Extrasensory is used for hitting Fighting types that my team is weak to. It also hits Poison types like Toxapex and Mega Venusaur.

So what do you guys think? What should I do to improve it? Thanks for reading~​

Your hydra underperforms against neutral targets such as pex and other fat mons. Besides, a wall breaker needs to do as much damage as possible, which means that you need a LO. Ditch focus miss and add roost.

If you are using an av muk, you need pursuit in order to trap stuff like latios. However, since you are super weak to fairy, use cursemuk with recycle

You need speed control so put a scarf user on your team. If you rly dislike gren, use krookodile with moxie.

Your hydra underperforms against neutral targets such as pex and other fat mons. Besides, a wall breaker needs to do as much damage as possible, which means that you need a LO. Ditch focus miss and add roost.

If you are using an av muk, you need pursuit in order to trap stuff like latios. However, since you are super weak to fairy, use cursemuk with recycle

You need speed control so put a scarf user on your team. If you rly dislike gren, use krookodile with moxie.
1. Alrighty! Should I do the Taunt+Roost+Dragonium Z set, or am I good?
2. What should I replace for Pursuit? Also, what does the Curse set look like?
3. Okay. I'll go with Greninja.

For me the best moves fo hydra are dark pulse, d meteor, fire blast and roost, with a LO. Imo taunt is not very important since mandi is a great defogger, plus, you play with mega sable so you are safe ditching taunt. I'm not sure about the z crystal on hydra, since I think devastating drake does not OHKO pex, venu and ferro. You are safer with FB.

Also put pursuit on your ttar instead of fire blast.

Curse muk
Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 248 HP / 86 Def / 174 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch

For me the best moves fo hydra are dark pulse, d meteor, fire blast and roost, with a LO. Imo taunt is not very important since mandi is a great defogger, plus, you play with mega sable so you are safe ditching taunt. I'm not sure about the z crystal on hydra, since I think devastating drake does not OHKO pex, venu and ferro. You are safer with FB.

Also put pursuit on your ttar instead of fire blast.

Curse muk
Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Recycle
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch
1. Sounds good to me! Thanks! Is my EV spread good, or should I change it?

2. But shouldn't Tyranitar have Fire Blast to deal with Steel types that would otherwise wall it?

I personally think it would be better with Muk, since the Smogon page does list it as an option for him.

3. I think I like Poison Touch for Muk better than Gluttony. I see where you're coming from, but I think Poison Touch is more useful.

Also, do you mind explaining me the set and how it works with the team? Sorry if I sound rude..

Curse muk is your wincon against fairy. It is a setup sweeper and you need a form of recovery. Here is when gluttony kicks in. There are some berries that replenish half of your HP (figy and iapapa) but they activate when you are at 1/3 of your HP. With gluttony, they activate at 1/2 of your HP. And when you consume your berry, use recycle to reuse it. Since muk has a good special bulk, and with some curses it will have good def as well, it can handle every attack, save ground attacks. Poison jab gives you stab and fire punch is for steel types.

But if you use curse muk, you will need a dedicated special wall. Ttar has great spd that is boosted in sand. You do not need FB because you are not using it as a wall breaker, and besides, it does minimal dmg to steel. Pursuit trapping, therefore, comes to mind. It also serves as popping the balloon out of heatran (it 3HKO ttar in sand with flash cannon).

Your EVs for hydra are ok.

Curse muk is your wincon against fairy. It is a setup sweeper and you need a form of recovery. Here is when gluttony kicks in. There are some berries that replenish half of your HP (figy and iapapa) but they activate when you are at 1/3 of your HP. With gluttony, they activate at 1/2 of your HP. And when you consume your berry, use recycle to reuse it. Since muk has a good special bulk, and with some curses it will have good def as well, it can handle every attack, save ground attacks. Poison jab gives you stab and fire punch is for steel types.

But if you use curse muk, you will need a dedicated special wall. Ttar has great spd that is boosted in sand. You do not need FB because you are not using it as a wall breaker, and besides, it does minimal dmg to steel. Pursuit trapping, therefore, comes to mind. It also serves as popping the balloon out of heatran (it 3HKO ttar in sand with flash cannon).

Sounds good! I'll try it! Thanks!

You wouldn't mind sending me the new sets, would you?

So I've actually tried out that Muk set, since it seems to be the most popular set for Alolan Muk on Dark teams. That set gave Muk a lot more longevity than it usually had, so thanks so much!

That's nice to hear!

I owe you the new sets, so here they go

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Pursuit

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch
- Recycle

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump

That's nice to hear!

I owe you the new sets, so here they go

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Roost
- Defog

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Thunder Wave
- Pursuit

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch
- Recycle

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Hydro Pump
Thanks B!

Though I don't know about that Greninja set. I like my set because it helps me deal with Fairy and Fighting types~

Pretty good team. I do disagree with some of the changes apoteosis sent you. Chief of them is using pursuit on ttar, the justification of it is very lacking: if you really fear heatran just use earthquake, it'll also improve your matchup vs electric, poison and retain the ability to hit steel types whereas puruit trapping has very very little use on a fat dark team (especially coming from a defensive mon). If really you like pursuit trapping, well, there's assault vest muk for it. Chople berry is outdated on tyranitar since you do not have any ways of hitting fighting types anyways, you should go leftovers. I'm also not a huge fan of the hydreigon set as without taunt you can't reliably stallbreak bulky archetypes like normal, water,... which are using status moves. A regular dragonium z set should me more adequate. Otherwise everything is alright. Hope to see you higher up on the ladder xd !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)