Other Metagames Monotype Fairy Team!

Introduction

Welcome to my second RMT post and my first ever monotype team! I'm going to be using this team for an Elite 4, and Fairy is my favourite type. :)

Teambuilding Process

Alolan Ninetales has access to Snow Warning AND Aurora Veil! Need I say more?

Klefki's ability, Prankster, make it a great Spikes setter and status user which my team needs. The poison immunity is pretty nice too.

These Pokémon need some healing, so who better than Slyveon?

Similar to Klefki, Magearna's Steel typing gives it a poison immunity, which is a blessing on an all Fairy team. It's also an amazing special attacker that greatly benefits to the bulk given by Aurora Veil.

Huge. Power. Choice. Band. And the water typing neutralises Steel moves used on it!

Three immunities is amazing, and Disguise allows me to send Mimikyu in if I need to switch without the fear of it dying.

The Fairy Team

Ninetales-Alola @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore
As said before, Alolan Ninetales has access to both Snow Warning and Aurora Veil (while holding Light Clay, extending Aurora Veil to a staggering eight turns), so I knew I had to use this Pokémon. Due to this, Alolan Ninetales is usually the Pokémon that I send out first. I chose Freeze Dry because it has great coverage, allowing Alolan Ninetales to hit water types super effectively while also countering Ground types that Magearna and Klefki might have trouble with. Moonblast is just there for STAB, with a 30% chance to lower Special Attack. The last move, Encore, is amazing. If I come across another Alolan Ninetales and win the speed tie, I can trap them into Aurora Veil. If I come across a slower Stealth Rock user, I can trap them into it. This gives me a free switch, or a free STAB hit on whatever the opponent sends out next. Maximum Speed and Special Attack allow Alolan Ninetales to be fast and hit hard, with a Timid nature to speed it up even more. Alolan Ninetales is an all round great Pokémon to use on a monotype Fairy team, or just for an Aurora Veil user. However, the x4 weakness to Steel needs to covered.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Flash Cannon
Probably one of the most annoying Pokémon to face on the team (from my opponents' comments of it); it's Klefki. Firstly, its typing. Being a Steel/Fairy Pokémon means that Fairy's weakness to Steel is neutralised, and is immune to Poison. Three of Klefki's moves abuse its ability, Prankster, and since I don't expect to see many Dark types go up against it, Klefki does its job pretty well. Spikes is for passive damage on Pokémon switching out, and with EVs that maximize bulk, it's pretty easy to set up all three layers. Thunder Wave is to cripple fast Pokémon's speed so the rest of my team has a shot at out speeding them, while Toxic can be used on bulkier Pokémon that are hard to get down to low HP, or on Electric and Ground types that are immune to Thunder Wave. Lastly, I chose Flash Cannon over Dazzling Gleam due to higher power and the fact that the rest of my team has Fairy STABS anyway. Leftovers is obviously for recovery. I was thinking about replacing Toxic with Magnet Rise on this guy, but I'm not too sure. The Ground immunity would be great.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
Next up is my favourite Pokémon; Sylveon. Sylveon can be quite versatile, so my opponent is left guessing what set I have on it. I chose to go with Smogon's Cleric set, and I found it works pretty well. Maximum EV's in HP, Defense, and four in Special Defense allow Sylveon to tank hits making it a good switch in on a neutral or resisted move. Pixilate Hyper Voice hits considerably hard on Pokémon that don't resist it, even without the Special Attack investment. Heal Bell is to get rid of any status conditions that considerably weaken my team from reaching its potential. For example, a burn on either Mimikyu or Azumarill would be crippling. Wish can be used in conjunction with Protect, which also allows me to heal with Leftovers. Additionally, if I think my opponent predicts me to use Wish+Protect, I could instead go for Hyper Voice to get a good STAB hit on whatever they thought they had a safe switch in on. Wish can also be used to pass on health to other Pokémon in my team. Sylveon's main downfall is if it gets taunted, but this hasn't happened to me too much.

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere
- Volt Switch
Generation Seven's amazing Mythical Magearna serves an amazing role on my team. Similar to Klefki, Magearna is another Steel/Fairy type, granting it a poison immunity. Magearna's role on my team is to be a bulky special attacker, given the EV spread. Fleur Cannon is the most powerful Fairy move in the game with 130 base power, but unfortunately, lowers Magearna's special attack by two stages. This is, however, somewhat negated by Soul-Heart, which raises the special attack by one stage when a Pokémon is knocked out. Flash Cannon is there for the STAB, there's not too much to say about it. Aura Sphere is to hit hard on Steel types that Magearna would otherwise be walled by. Lastly, Volt Switch allows me to switch out Magearna in an unfavourable matchup, but due to Magearna being slow, it will mostly be used after my opponent has already used their move, meaning the Pokémon that I send in will be unharmed. The Assault Vest is used to make this Pokémon even more specially defensive.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
Azumarill is an outstanding Pokémon. Maximum Attack EVs, Huge Power, and Choice Band allow Azumarill to hit incredibly hard. 84 Speed EVs allow Azumarill to out speed base 60 non-speed invested Pokémon, with the last EVs going into HP to contribute to the already great 100 base HP that it has. Play Rough and Waterfall (that hit Ground types that trouble Klefki and Magearna) are basic STAB moves that Azumarill should always run. Aqua Jet is a great STAB priority move that's powered up by Huge Power, while Superpower hits super effectively on Steel types that cause a problem to a Fairy team such as this.

Mimikyu @ Red Card
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
There's quite a lot to love about Mimikyu. Immunities to Dragon, Fighting, and Normal, are beyond exceptional. Then there's its ability, Disguise, that allows it to set up at least one Swords Dance easily. Play Rough is a good STAB move that hits hard after one Swords Dance, along with Shadow Claw. If I fear/know the opponent will out speed me, Shadow Sneak can be used to get maximum usefulness out of Mimikyu before it faints, or it can be used to pick off Pokémon with already low health. A Red Card is held because it works well with Disguise. Say, for example, I need to switch in a Pokémon, but I have nothing I can really switch in to. That's where Mimikyu comes in. I will send in Mimikyu, he will take no damage due to Disguise, and then will send out the Pokémon that's troubling me currently with another one that the opponent has no choice over. It can also send out threats to my team out of the battle. Mega Scizor that has set up with Swords Dance, for example. It's a little bit of an RNG strategy, but most of the time the new matchup usually works in my favour. Maximum Attack and Speed with a Jolly nature is so Mimikyu can hit hard and fast.

Please let me know what you think! :)

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore
Klefki @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Toxic
Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
Mimikyu @ Red Card
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Hi there! Just stopping by for a rate...

----->

You mentioned that you wanted a cleric for your team, so why not use Clefable instead of slyveon? Clefable is a better cleric then Slyveon, starring higher physical bulk, an Unaware Ability to wall the hell out of Coil Zygarde and Tail glow Manaphy, and even has stealth rocks if you want that. Overall, Clefable fullfills the role of a cleric (healer) better then slyveon.

------>

Klefki does nearly nothing for your team, only setting up spikes and thats it. Why don't you try out the newly released Mega Mawile instead? 105 attack + huge power gives it the highest attack stat in the entire game, making it ideal for wallbreaking purposes, something your team lacks completely besides Azumarill. It also remains the Steel/Fairy typing which seems to be coveted on your team, so by changing over to this, you only gain, without losing anything. Try it out, and you won't regret it.

Choice Band-----> Belly Drum

Now with Mega Mawile doing the job of wallbreaking, you should turn Azumarill into a setup sweeper to take advantage of the holes Mega Mawile punches in teams early game so you can set up and sweep. After things like Toxapex and Skarmory are down, which are taken down thanks to Mega Maw, Nothing will stop a +6 Azumarill. And the few that do (Ex. Tapu lele and Tapu Bulu/Koko) are checked by Assault Vest Magearna.

Red Card----> Life orb/Ghostium Z

Unlike Mega Mawile and Azumarill, Mimikyu has a very low attack stat and needs as much power boosts from moves and items as it can get. Azumarill's aqua jet and Mega Mawile's sucker punch can do the revenge killing for you, and even without life orb, Mimikyu is still a good revenge killer. Red card really isn't very useful, try out these other items instead.

And that's all for now!

~Virizain

Timid Nature
- Aurora Veil
- Freeze-Dry
- Moonblast
- Encore

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Iron Head
- Thunder Punch
- Sucker Punch

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw
Thanks! I made these changes and it's a better team than before! :D

Thanks! I made these changes and it's a better team than before! :D
I should inform you that Mega Mawile has always been banned from SuMo Monotype. To build off of the changed team, I have a few comments.

I don't want to drastically change your team idea, which is set up screens and sweep. You should keep using Klefki, since obviously Mega Mawile cannot be used and you were using it originally; there are no Fairy teams that do not need Klefki. However, I would recommend you use a dual screens set on Klefki instead of the utility set you have right now. This helps support your team in matchups that Alolan Ninetales cannot reliably set up Aurora Veil, such as against Steel. "Worst case scenario", you have dual screens and Aurora Veil active. I often use Spikes, but a future change will necessitate Foul Play to check Mega Scizor.

Try using Normalium Z for Azumarill. With Z-Belly Drum, this guarantees that Azumarill will successfully get off the Belly Drum and sweep. This goes very well with Alolan Ninetales providing Aurora Veil and Klefki providing screens. Sweeping with Azumarill is the key to winning matchups such as against Steel. You also don't need Jolly, so I'd use Adamant for the extra power and reliability when sweeping.

Clefable is a bit too slow for this team and doesn't provide much support you really need. Your team is walled by Flying defensive cores and Skarmory in general barring Magearna, so I'd recommend adding another offensive member. In this case, I suggest Tapu Koko over Clefable. This gives you a powerful pivot that can also wallbreak, helping you get past those cores that you couldn't otherwise, such as the Skarmory + Zapdos + Mantine core. You do lack Stealth Rock without Clefable (The set you were using didn't have it anyway, though), so be aware of that fact. This is also why you'll need Foul Play Klefki, as Clefable was formerly your main Mega Scizor check.

One idea you can keep in the back of your mind is maybe trying Stealth Rock Clefable over Mimikyu. This isn't a change I'd make and keep right away, but test it out and see what works best for you, as this will remove one setup sweeper from your team but bring the essential Stealth Rock to your team. Give it a go once or twice, if you feel it clashes with your team idea of screens + sweepers, then definitely go back to what works.

Hope this has helped and good luck with your team!

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
Hi Shadd nice first monotype team, I have a few suggestions. Also Mega Mawile is banned from Monotype

- Klefki should run Light Screen, Reflect, Thunder Wave and Spikes/Foul Play. Klefki running this set allows the team to run tapu koko as a flying type check with also checking water and steel types. Klefki also with prankster allows Azumarill to easily setup and the rest of can easily take advantage of the screens. Thunder Wave can also check faster threats allowing pokemon such as Tapu Bulu, Magearna and Azumarill that are a bit slow to outspeed some threats such as Charizard Y.

Usage Tip: Klefki is never a bad lead and can setup screens while also laying spikes to help Azumarill and Tapu Koko sweep late game. If a threatening sweeper is spotted on the opponents team Klefki should be saved and click Thunder Wave on them.​

>
- Since Klefki can more reliably check screens and also is immune to poison type attacks it making Alolan-Ninetales very useless on the team. Tapu Koko checks flying types better while allowing teammates such as Tapu Bulu and Azumarill to check Ground types that Tapu Koko can't touch. Tapu Koko should use Thunderbolt, Volt Switch, Dazzling Gleam and Hidden Power [Fire]. This moveset allows Tapu Koko to effectively take advantage of the Electric Terrain with the dual stab while also being able to hit steel types such as Ferrothorn and Excadrill for a good amount of damage with HP [Fire]. While also making a double volt turn core with magearna allowing the team to gain major momentum.

Usage Tip: Tapu Koko can always click Volt Switch and can easily pivot to Tapu Bulu to come in on Ground type attacks and Klefki for poison types. Tapu Koko works great as a late game cleaner and lead with Volt Switch.​

>
- Tapu Bulu is a very nice addition to fairy team and Klefki is already a very good check to setup sweepers. Tapu Bulu should run Wood Hammer, Horn Leech, Stone Edge, Superpower. This double grass stab allows Tapu Bulu to check alot of annoying threats such as Garchomp, Toxapex, Landorus-Therian, Mantine and really that doesn't resist grass type attacks will take a huge amount of damage. Stone Edge allows Tapu Bulu to threaten Flying types such as Charizard Y and Zapdos on the switchin while also pressuring types that may give Fairy some trouble such as Fire. Superpower is finally just to hit Steel types for a big chunk of damage as they are very hard to beat for fairy teams.

Usage Tip: Tapu Bulu is really great at breaking walls on the opposing team and shouldnt be used as a late game sweeper. If a pokemon such as Greninja can use a poison type move you should switch into klefki to scout a move and can be used as a good late game sweeper only against types that it has an advantage over so it can ko pokemon and recover health with horn leech.​

>
- Clefable allows the team to have a proper stealth rocks setter while being able to check Mega Scizor with Unaware Flamethrower. Clefable is the fairy types most reliable rocks setter making matchups such as Rock type weaknesses easier while also providing a nice hazard setter for Azumarills setup and sweep easier. The EVs on clefable are pretty standard and allows Clefable to become a good mixed wall.

- Azumarill prefers to use Normalium Z Belly Drum over Choice Band on Fairy due to how easy it is to setup with Screens up from Klefki. The new EVs allow Azumarill to outspeed unspeed invested Skarmory. Azumarills coverage allow it to cover most types with very little resistances.

Usage Tip: It is way easier to setup behind screens as Azumarill is almost impossible to ko behind. Types that fairy has an advantage over such as Dark and Dragon its better not to setup Belly Drum and just threaten the opposing team with fairy stab spam.​
- The EVs allow Magearna to outspeed Mantine and Skarmory with Volt Switch Pivot, it lives Landorus-I's Earth Power, while also living choice scarf excadrill's earthquake and allows Magearna to hit as hard as possible. Its coverage is practically unresisted and its bulk and ability to live attacks with set is phenomonal. Volt Switch allows Magearna to hit flying types for heavy damage, fleur cannon is extraordinary stab, aura sphere allows magearna to hit steel types and flash cannon makes the mirror fairy matchup very favorable.

Usage Tip: If you are ever unsure about a switchin or matchup you can volt switch out and make sure to preserve Magearna's health when facing Excadrill and Landorus as it can survive 1 attack from both of them and can definetly secure an ohko at +1.​

Klefki @ Light Clay
Bold Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Magearna @ Assault Vest
EVs: 200 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere
- Flash Cannon

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

Hope my suggestions helped and that you enjoy the team and brings you success. :)

Edit: sniped by eien while i was writing up the post, sigh. ;W;

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)