Monotype Gen 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist

Abilities: Intimidate / Unnerve
Base Stats: 70 / 115 / 95 / 100 / 105 / 70 (BST: 555)
Useful Moves: *(Based on Vespiquen (Alternate evo to Combee))
: *Attack Order, *U-turn, Earthquake, Gunk Shot, Knock Off, Heavy Slam, Superpower, Power Trip
: *Bug Buzz, *Infestation, *Power Gem, *Sludge Bomb, Earth Power
: *Heal Order, *Defend Order, Bulk Up
Moves it doesn't learn: Defog, Roost, Air Slash, Captivate, Air Cutter, Silver/Ominous Wind

Sprite: Black and Yellow Buzzwole
Weight: 666 lbs
Height: 2.4 m
Egg Group: Bug

Competitive Use: Something that could really use the "Order" moves. Pretty bulky and powerful pivot. Can be used to back up Bug teams with some special bulk with AV.
Is it broken? Weakness to Ice, Fire and Scald, pretty slow, can hardly pass walls
Pokedex: The most vicious and the most frustrated COMBEEs can turn into BEELZEBUZZ. They gain power over even VESPIQUENs, and usually rule multiple colonies. Hopefully, it is pretty rare to see that evolution happen.

Last edited:
Gravity Monkey Bug / Ground is not 4X weak to Ice.

Bug / Ground

Ability: Compoundeyes
Base stats: 100 / 130 / 95 / 75 / 95 / 65 [560 BST]
Useful Moves
Physical: Megahorn, Earthquake, Stone Edge, Pursuit, Leech Life
Special: N/A
Sprite: Torterra coloured yellow
Weight: 425 kgs, 936.9 lbs
Size: 6 ft 5 in, 1.9 m
Egg Group: Undiscovered
Competetive use: It gives Ground and Bug a strong boosting sweeper: it has better 3 move coverage than Mega Scizor, and it doesn't need Sandstorm like Excadrill. Thanks to Compoundeyes it can use Megahorn and Stone Edge with no problem. It can also take out several problematic Pokemon for both Bug and Ground - on Bug it can hit many Fire-types with its STAB Earthquake, while on Ground it can hit the Grass types with its STAB Megahorn.
Is it broken: It is quite slow brefore using Shell Smash, and even after it's still slower than many threatening Scarfers like Blacephalon, Keldeo and Greninja, all of which could revenge kill it. While it does have great bulk, finding opportunities to switch in is quite tricky as its typing gives it common Water, Ice and Flying weaknesses.
Pokedex: It lives in the deepest forests, in areas out of reach to humans. It can geokinetically control soil in vast areas, and will not hesitate to attack anyone damaging its territory.

Dragon / Poison

Ability: Shed Skin, Poison Point, Hustle
Base stats: 60 / 100 / 70 / 80 / 60 / 110 [480 BST]
Useful moves
Physical: Gunk Shot, Outrage, Dragon Rush, Dragon Tail, Poison Fang, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Earthquake
Special: N/A
Sprite: Seviper coloured green
Weight: 300 lbs, 136 kgs
Size: 20 ft 6 in, 6.27 m
Egg Group: Dragon
Competetive use: Gives Poison teams a fast sweeper, which they don't really have at the moment. Coil + Hustle is a strong combination, as Coil negates the accuracy drop while giving it loads of power. On Dragon teams it offers a strong check to Fairy teams, as only Klefki can tank a Gunk Shot from this thing. It can also set up Toxic Spikes, although I suspect only Dragon would use it for that.
Is it broken? While base 110 speed is good, there's a plethora of faster Pokemon out there. Hustle is a double-edge sword, as while it does give it great power before Coil all of its attacks will have at best 80% accuracy. It's also pretty frail, having meagre 60/70/60 defences.
Pokedex: It lives deep in the heart of tropical jungles. It takes down prey by constricting it in its coils, which squeezes with enough force to crush a car.

Bug / Fighting

Ability: Swarm, Iron Fist, Skill Link
Base stats: 70, 90, 60, 85, 60, 135 [500 BST]
Useful movs
Physical: Pin Missile, Close Combat, Rock Blast, Ice Punch, Fire Punch, Thunder Punch
Special: Hidden Power
Weight: 40 lbs, 18.1 kgs,
Size: 3 ft 0, 0.9 m
Egg group: Bug, Humanlike
Competetive use: It's basically Mega Heracross but with way less power or bulk, without taking up the mega slot. It's best used as a lategame cleaner, and with its STABs +3 Rock Blast it has great neutral coverage. On Fighting teams it can check Psychic teams well, as only Metagross and Jirachi can take a Pin Missile.
Is it broken? It's very frail, and before boosting it isn't that powerful either. It also has to hold a Life Orb to get the KOs it needs to, cutting into its durability even more. And Sticky Web ruins its day.
Pokedex: It moves at speeds to fast to see with the naked eye. Its punches aren't especially powerful, but it can deliver so many in such a short time it makes up for this.

Fire / Ground

Ability: Own Tempo, Dry Skin, Thick Fat
Base stats: 120, 60, 120, 100, 70, 50 [520 BST]
Useful moves
Physical: N/A
Special: Earth Power, Lava Plume, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Energy Ball, Clear Smog
Coal Trap: Fire type, 20 PP, Status. Leaves hot coals on the foe's side of the field. Burns grounded Pokemon, if they are not immune. Grouded Fire types remove the hazard upon switching in. Z Effect: Special Attack +1.
Weight: 300 kgs, 661 lbs
Size: 4.5 ft, 1.37 m
Egg Group: Field
Competetive use: Coal Trap alone is a very nice USP - burning grounded Pokemon immediately is a nice touch, although it does less damage than Poison, the attack drops are hugely helpful. It can also be a nice bulky sweeper if that's what you prefer, and by virtue of its typing it checks the Ice and Grass types that Ground fears, and the Rock types Fire fears. Thanks to Storm Drain, it's one of the few Pokemon on Fire that can stop Mega Swampert in the rain.
Is it broken? It is very slow, and has no reliable recovery, meaning it's easily worn down. I don't think there are any Fire or Ground types that get Wish either (at least none that see regular use). Fire teams also frequently use Sun, and that cuts into its health even more if it runs Dry Skin (which it would).
Pokedex: Said to be the combination of breeding Mudsdale and Rapidash, Magmule is a hardy Pokemon that can walk through almost any terrain with little problem.

Dragon / Steel
Base Stats: 145, 90, 125, 50, 70, 30
Ability: Clear Body, Iron Barbs, Heatproof
Useful moves
Physical: Dragon Tail, Iron Head, Earthquake, Rock Tomb, Outrage, Heavy Slam
Special: Volt Switch
Weight: 800 kgs, 1763.7 lbs
Size: 10 ft 1 in, 3.07 m
Egg Group: Dragon, Mineral
Competitive use: I asked myself, what don't Dragon and Steel teams have? A good cleric. The only common Dragon type to have Heal Bell is Mega Altaria, who has better things to do, as does Jirachi on Steel. With its massive HP, it makes a great Wish passer. It can also set up Stealth Rock, freeing up the slot on Garchomp and Ferrothorn.
Is it broken? It is very slow, doesn't hit that hard, and while it only has 2 weaknessees both are to very common types.
Pokedex: Wybide's body is made of a metal harder than titanium, although it weighs 3 times more. As a result of its almost impenetrable armour, it is an extremely docile Pokemon, as very few Pokemon can threaten it.

Mega Kingra
Item: Kingdracite (Swampertite sprite)
Type Change: none
Ability: Adaptability
Base stat change
HP: 75
Attack: 125 (+30)
Defence: 105 (+10)
Special Attack: 125 (+30)
Special Defence: 105 (+10)
Speed: 105 (+20)
Competitive use: A strong sweeper and wallbreaker, able to run physical and special sets well. Still has nothing of note beyond its STABs though, leaving it walled by most Pokemon that resist them.

Last edited:
Typing: Electric - Fighting
Ability: Iron Fist
Base stats: 75/123/67/95/85/95
Mega Stats: 75/165/115/105/115/75
Useful Moves
Physical
: Wild Charge, Earthquake, Drain Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Hammer Arm, Power up Punch, Rock Slide
Special: Volt Switch, Psychic, Signal Beam
Sprite: More muscular. colored brown in some places
Weight: 150 kg
Competitive use: Mega Electivire is a much needed mega evolution for Electric, outclassing Mega Manectric and adding a very strong Physical attacker option alongside Zeraora and Eletroylte, while outclassing both. Iron Fist boosts the Elemental Punches and Drain Punch, providing great coverage and healing. The added Fighting STAB helps with Steel teams. A Curse set is great option as well, as it's bulk can allow it to take some hits.
Is it broken?: It's slow, and can be whittled down especially with Wild Charge's recoil, while weaknesses to common types don't help it.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Typing: Electric - Fighting
Ability: Iron Fist
Base stats: 75/123/67/95/85/95
Mega Stats: 75/165/115/105/115/75
Useful Moves
Physical
: Wild Charge, Earthquake, Drain Punch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Thunder Punch, Hammer Arm, Power up Punch, Rock Slide
Special: Volt Switch, Psychic, Signal Beam
Sprite: More muscular. colored brown in some places
Weight: 150 kg
Competitive use: Mega Electivire is a much needed mega evolution for Electric, outclassing Mega Manectric and adding a very strong Physical attacker option alongside Zeraora and Eletroylte, while outclassing both. Iron Fist boosts the Elemental Punches and Drain Punch, providing great coverage and healing. The added Fighting STAB helps with Steel teams. A Curse set is great option as well, as it's bulk can allow it to take some hits.
Is it broken?: It's slow, and can be whittled down especially with Wild Charge's recoil, while weaknesses to common types don't help it.
Mega Electrivire doesn't outclass Mega Manectric because they do completely different things: Electrivire serves as a bulky wallbreaker while Manectric is an offensive pivot. Mega Electrivire doesn't have Intimidate or strong Fire coverage that Manetric has, and almost half its speed.

Dragon/Steel

Rivitorus, the Steam-Driven Pokemon
Abilities: Levitate / Sheer Force / Clear Body
Base stats:
HP: 90
Atk: 120
Def: 110
SpA: 32
SpD: 76
Spe: 92
Total: 520
Physical moves:
Bullet Punch, Iron Head, Fire Fang, Ice Fang, Thunder Fang, Rock Slide, Poison Jab, Knock Off, Dragon Claw, Earthquake, Power-Up Punch, Gear Grind, Outrage, Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt, Dragon Tail
Special moves: Is a physical attacker, so it wouldn't run special moves
Status moves: Swords Dance, Roost, Shift Gear, Dragon Dance, Hone Claws, Will-o-Wisp, Spikes, Defog
Sprite: A mechanical, Steampunk Version of Aerodactyl, with Bisharp's arms in gunmetal/ bronze. The insides of the wings turn Dark red, as do the eyes, and puffs of steam are coming out of the back of the head and back, and gears run along its body..
Weight: 549.3lbs, 249.2kg
Competitive use: Rivitorus helps Dragon teams out by providing a neutrality to Fairy and Dragon, and is a sweeper that can punish Fairy teams with its STAB Steel moves, or powerful coverage moves. For Steel teams, a immunity to Ground moves with levitate, and a neutrality to Fire, as well as outspeeding most 'mons of these typings after a Shift Gear really help Steel teams. It can also try to be a utility 'mon, but that isn't suggested.
Is it broken?: Without boosts, Rivitorus is relatively slow, and it has poor special bulk.
This mon looks really broken. It has Shift Gear, one of the best offensive boosting options, combined with incredible physical movepool and supporting moves. Steel/Dragon is a very good typing, so you can't add all these moves and say it's not broken because of its slightly lacking special bulk. In fact, it has more bulk than the following:
  • Greninja
  • Blacephalon
  • Tapu Koko
  • Breloom
  • Porygon-Z
  • Xurkitree
And all of these mons are held back by certain lacks:
  • Greninja has no boosting status moves
  • Blacephalon can't hit Tyranitar or other really fat mons like Chansey or Toxapex, and is too weak to use Calm Mind
  • Tapu Koko has weak Special Attack
  • Breloom is slow and only has one STAB
  • Porygon-Z is too frail to use boosting moves
  • Xurkitree is slow and only has one STAB
Rivitorus, on the other hand, is fairly fast (outspeeding Landorus-Therian), and has the physical bulk and defensive typing to set up and sweep through everything due to its BoltBeam coverage, EdgeQuake coverage, Dragon+Steel STAB synergy, and Sheer Force + Life Orb combo. It also conveniently outspeeds opposing Choice Scarfed base 110s without a positive nature after a Shift Gear boost. This needs to be nerfed.

Last edited:
Mega Electrivire doesn't outclass Mega Manectric because they do completely different things: Electrivire serves as a bulky wallbreaker while Manectric is an offensive pivot. Mega Electrivire doesn't have Intimidate or strong Fire coverage that Manetric has, and almost half its speed.
That is true, I meant it more in terms of how viable they are likely to be imo, but I see your point.

OK it is voting time people! Once again, loving your work. Vote for 1 Pokemon of each typing, and as always you can vote for 1 of your own Pokemon. Also, vote for the Mega evolution you like the best - you may not vote for your own mega. Voting closes Tuesday, 9 am GMT.

My votes

Bug / Fighting: Clicada
Dragon / Poison: Basilom
Dragon / Steel: Grpyhoid
Fire / Ground: Magmule
Bug / Ground: Burrobee
Mega: Elektivire

Also if your mega wins, that will count towards your total wins. Same with items (so whoever came up with the Stakatium Z gets one more).

Last edited:

Gravity Monkey

Que des barz comme si jtais au hebs
is a Top Artist
OK it is voting time people! Once again, loving your work. Vote for 1 Pokemon of each typing, and as always you can vote for 1 of your own Pokemon. Also, vote for the Mega evolution you like the best - you may not vote for your own mega. Voting closes Tuesday, 9 am GMT.

My votes

Bug / Fighting: Clicada
Dragon / Poison: Scoopapa 's creation (please name)
Dragon / Steel: Grpyhoid
Fire / Ground: Magmule
Bug / Ground: Burrobee
Mega: Elektivire

Also if your mega wins, that will count towards your total wins. Same with items (so whoever came up with the Stakatium Z gets one more).
Well that was quick, didn't have time to make a mega

OK everyone, thank you for participating. The results are in:

Bug / Fighting. Winner: Termight (3 votes). Runner up: Buquito (2 votes)
Bug / Ground. Winner: Burrobee (3 votes). Runner up: Earthwig (2 votes)
Dragon / Steel. Winner: Gryphoid (4 votes). Runner up: Druddigon-Alola (1 vote, tied)
Dragon / Poison. Winner: Basilom (5 votes). Runner up: Vishaper (1 vote)
Fire / Ground. Winner: Magmule (4 votes). Runner up: Mandra (1 vote, tied)
Mega winner: Electivire.

Congratulations Ardy, G-Luke, Anaconja, Scoopapa and Solosist! Special congratulations to Scoopapa - as this is your 5th win, you get to buff a preexisting Pokemon! Not one of our creations, as we haven't had time to test those yet. See the OP for more details. Please post your suggested buff(s) in this thread, so we can all discuss it.

I have posted in the Pet Mod discussion thread about coding this meta, so hopefully it should be playable sometime soon. Thanks for all your work guys, you've been great.

Oh, almost forgot, I reached 5 wins this week too. So, for my suggested buff I'm going to go with: Focus Blast Pidgeot. It gives it the coverage it so desperately needed, allowing it to hit a lot of stuff that it struggled with before like Tyranitar and Heatran. Hawlucha in OU has shown us how good Fighting / Flying coverage is, so I think giving Focus Blast to Pidgeot is a great idea. It also won't miss thanks to No Guard.

Edit: updated spreadsheet with new wins.

Last edited:
At the moment we're taking a break from creating new Pokemon, as I want to get the meta coded and playable. Hopefully that should be soon.

Sure thing. I'll get to coding it sometime soon. Should be playable on DH soon (aka when I get the time to do it)
Once it has become playable, I'll stage a tournament with the existing new Pokemon, and we can see which ones are good, which aren't, and if any are broken. After that we'll go back to creations.

Ludicrousity

You humour me greatly with your arrogance and c...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
At the moment we're taking a break from creating new Pokemon, as I want to get the meta coded and playable. Hopefully that should be soon.

Once it has become playable, I'll stage a tournament with the existing new Pokemon, and we can see which ones are good, which aren't, and if any are broken. After that we'll go back to creations.
Currently in the middle of coding Optimons, but the moment that's done, I'll get to it.

I'll buff Fabio

New Ability: Majestic ( Special Intimidate clone )
New Move: Energy Ball
New Move: Tail Glow

I'm not completely sold on Tail Glow being balanced; although I suspect that Ampharos-M's 45 base speed combined with the lack of fully defensive teams in monotype will keep it in check. The idea is not to sweep with it, but rather to break a wall that may try to stall you out. Nasty Plot is the other obvious option of course. I'm hoping for feedback on whether TG would be broken or NP would be sufficient.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'll buff Fabio

New Ability: Majestic ( Special Intimidate clone )
New Move: Energy Ball
New Move: Tail Glow

I'm not completely sold on Tail Glow being balanced; although I suspect that Ampharos-M's 45 base speed combined with the lack of fully defensive teams in monotype will keep it in check. The idea is not to sweep with it, but rather to break a wall that may try to stall you out. Nasty Plot is the other obvious option of course. I'm hoping for feedback on whether TG would be broken or NP would be sufficient.
Its a big buff but definitely not one that breaks the Fabio Fleece, since Electric TR is non existent and its match up is poor against a lot of types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)