Other Metagames Monotype Offensive Grass [Peaked 1620 ELO - LTLC]

Introduction

Hello, guys! Its juleocesar and today Im here to post one of the grass teams I have made so far (which surprisingly went farther than how I expected it would go). This time, I decided to try a more offensive inclined style able to handle as much types as possible, and here's the result. I used this team a lot while doing the Low Tier Ladder Contest, and managed to peak 1620 ELO while doing so.

#5 position in LTLC (actually the only grass user in the leaderboard): Link
Peak Replay: Link

Also, this is my first RMT, so any help to improve it is appreciated.

Teambuilding Process

+

Mega-Venusaur and Ferrothorn are musts on nearly every grass team, regardless of the playstyle. The core allows it to beat a lot of potential threats and their typing grants defensive coverage that are very appreciated (Thick Fat helps against most Fire moves, while Ferrothorn can take care of most Flying and Psychic moves that may harm Mega-Venusaur, and it can also take Bug, Ice and Poison moves for the rest of the team). Also, Ferrothorn has access to Stealth Rock and Spikes, which makes it very useful as a hazard setter (although it doesn't always have the opportunity to set both, it can be very useful at times, especially considering grass has no reliable means of hazard removal).

Since I was thinking of doing a offensive-inclined team this time, I instantly considered how useful Whimsicott could be to this team, thanks to its stallbreaking power and support. Prankster Stun Spore checks many threats in a pinch, crippling them for the rest of the match so a teammate can come and revenge kill it most of the time. The fact it has access to Encore also allows it to handle most setup sweepers and defensive mons. And lastly, its decent special attack and access to Moonblast gives me a way easier time against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting (Mega-Sableye deserves a special mention, and that would be no longer a problem to worry about).

Acess to Spore, Fighting priority and a Technician boosted Rock move that lowers speed by one stage makes Breloom a perfect candidate for this team. It is predictable but if played correctly, Breloom can do a very nice job for your team. I use Focus Sash on it so I am able to check Fire and Bug mons more reliably, and it also helps a lot in Steel (and dark) matchups.

With all 4 mentioned mons, I realized I would still have trouble to the likes of Poison, and Fighting (whimsicott would fail handling all those fightings mons because of Infernape, Cobalion and Bullet Punch priority on mons like Machamp and Gallade). Also, I needed a status absorber so stallish teams that rely on spreading status (especially Ghost) wouldn't be much of a trouble. Then, I came into a conclusion that Celebi can act as an effective status absorber (Natural Cure says hi), while still posing to be a threat.

This was a bit of a odd choice, which I was very unsure whether that would do good or not in my team. In the end, it did way better than how I thought it would in the beginning. I actually needed something that would do fine vs Psychic, and then I realized it could be a nice check to Fire monotype thanks to Chlorophyll + Rock Slide. Dark priority in Sucker Punch is nice as well.

So I ended with the team:

The Team

Venusaur @ Venusaurite

Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Explanation:

Basically, this is Venusaur's most common set. I am not needing Sleep Powder this time since Breloom is already my sleep inducer. The EVs allows it to have a better type against Scarf Victini, Mamoswine, Bisharp, Scizor and other physical attacking threats for Grass. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are its most reliable STABs, Hidden Power Fire is mainly for Scizor, Ferrothorn and Forretress, and Synthesis is Mega-Venusaur's best option of recovery. It acts as a very effective tank in every grass team, handling pokemons that would be very hard to beat otherwise. The small amount of investment in speed allows me to outspeed opposing Mega-Venusaur most of the time and it ensures I will outspeed max speed Adamant Azumarill

Whimsicott @ Life Orb

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stun Spore
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Giga Drain / U-turn / Memento

Explanation:

As mentioned in teambuilding process, Stun Spore allows Whimsicott to effectively check many threats, crippling them so teammates can come in and revenge kill them. Moonblast allows Whimsicott to handle many Dragon, Fighting and Dark threats with ease, and when coupled with a Life Orb and an offensive spread, Whimsicott is able to get key 2HKOes and OHKOes on mons who are weak to it (notably Mega-Sableye, even at +1, unless if it is the specially defensive spread). Encore stops setup sweepers and serves as a stallbreaking tool for most defensive mons. I use Giga Drain in the last moveslot because it is a solid STAB move and it mitigates Life Orb's recoil. That surely leaves Whimsicott walled by Fire and Steel mons, but it doesn't really have many coverage options.

Shiftry @ Life Orb

EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Explanation:

That was an interesting addition to my team, becacuse I really didnt expect it to work. Substitute shields Shiftry from status moves, allowing it to setup safely (mostly on Mew, which is the Pokemon Shiftry is meant to counter in this team). Swords Dance boosts Shiftry's attack to high levels, and should be used when you think your opponent is about to switch. Sucker Punch is its main damaging move, a very nice Dark type priority, and pairs well with both Substitute and Swords Dance, should you ''win'' the mindgame. Rock Slide is there because it allows you to check Fire monotypes more easily when coupled with Chlorophyll in Sun. The 188 EVs in speed allows Shiftry to outspeed Mew's most common sets, so it can substitute before Mew burns with Will-o-Wisp. The rest of EVs are put in attack and health for maximizing damage output and giving Shiftry and its substitute a bit extra bulk. Basically this set gives me a chance to handle Psychic teams and most people probably won't expect. And also, I found out that Sucker Punch can have far more uses aside from checking Psychic types, and this set can also pose to be a threat vs unprepared Ghosts and Mega-Sableye.

Breloom @ Focus Sash

Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Spore
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Explanation:

Breloom is my sleep-inducer, and it effectively checks many Flying mons, thanks to Rock Tomb and Spore. The fact it is boosted by Technician and it drops speed by one stage can be very handful at times, especially if my opponent is switching. Mach Punch is fighting priority (also boosted by technician) and Bullet Seed deals heavy damage most of the time when unresisted. A very potent wallbreaker, indeed, which at first I didn't expect it work much, but it is satisfying the needs of my team.

Celebi @ Life Orb

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Explanation:
Psychic and Earth Power are essential moves in this set, allowing Celebi to take care of most Poison teams (unless if Drapion/Skuntank are bitchy enough to hold air baloon). Earth Power also allows to deal heavy damage to Aegislash (should it switch in) and other steel mons such as Heatran (when its air baloon has gone down). Giga Drain is is the third move of this set, and as I have said above on Whimsicott, it is a solid STAB that pairs well with Life Orb, and Recover is on the last slot when Giga Drain isn't enough. Another advantage of using this set in Celebi is that most people probably won't expect (they will expect defensive/support movepools instead).

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed/Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball/Iron Head

Explanation:

In this team, Ferrothorn takes care of most Ice moves and punishes U-turn users with Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs. It might be weird at first when you see I'm both running Stealth Rock and Spikes (and it is right indeed that I won't be able to set them every game), but it is actually very handful at times, especially if my opponent relies on hazards to deal significant damage as well. Since I have no hazard removal, the best way to handle this situation is actually setting as much hazards as you can. Gyro Ball is my main STAB move, and it is quite effective against Fairy. I have been using a mixed spread because it works better with Rocky Helm and allows me to take physical hits a bit easier. Leech Seed helps Ferrothorn to stay alive, but I somehow feel that Thunder Wave is a good option, since you don't have Protect and therefore, will be unable to use Leech Seed to its fullest.

Threatlist:

Landorus-I literally has all the tools to easily 2HKO every single mon of my team. I often need to sack something and put Breloom in (assuming it still has its sash) or then Stun Spore with Whimsicott (which actually is another sack unless you get the lucky para). Unless I manage to weak it from time and revenge kill with Whimsicott, but the thing is that at least one mon in my team dies when I'm about to take that down.

Steel mons tend to be a huge trouble for Grass to handle. Heatran often threats most of grass mons, while skarmory walls its checks all day (Breloom and Celebi). As if that wasn't enough, experienced steel teams often rely on their hazards to inflict heavy damage if they manage to put enough pressure in your team.

I actually hate facing this, since I am nearly guaranteed to lose every Mega-Venusaur war, thanks to the spread I am running on it (unless if the opposing Mega-Venusaur is also running the physically defensive spread). Sludge Bomb + Hidden Power Fire threatens every single mon on my team. The only realiable way of dealing with it is through Celebi (and it still can't directly switch into it)

Well, that is one of grass's worst nightmares, especially considering I am not using Cradily in this team. Not only this bird (jesus) OHKOes nearly my entire team, but hurricane actually has a nice 30% chance of causing confusion. It can also run Work Up to make that just worse.

What annoys me the most is that it can flinch you to death, so this is actually a matter of luck. Still, 60% flinch rate surely is something to be considered, especially when Air Slash is going to hit for a fair amount of damage. If it is scarf, then my only hopes are paralyzing with Stun Spore or hoping for Ferrothorn's survival so it can retaliate with Gyro Ball. The defensive set, although more durable, tends to be less of a threat, since most of the mons in my team will have the opportunity to outspeed it.

Psychic wallbreakers pretty much destroy this team before I am able to do anything (unless if I manage to set SD as shiftry and perharps I could luckily sweep)

Replays:

Shoutouts:
Chleg: He was the the dude who actually made me try Shiftry for the first set, and SD + Sub was also his suggestion. Also a great dude I like to face in ladder and has shown lots of skills with an underrated type

Stunfisk The Great: The one who's behind most events (incluiding LTLC), encouraged me to do this RMT and has helped me every time I asked for his help. Surely a remarkable user who deserves to be mentioned, and that I couldn't have forgotten to say thanks.

Importable:
Venusaur @ Venusaurite
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Encore
- Stun Spore

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 68 HP / 252 Atk / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Rock Tomb
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Celebi @ Life Orb
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Recover

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Last edited:

BlackJak

formerly Balanced Break
Ah yes, Classic juleocesear.

Lol kidding, but I like the team and the fact it has shiftry, celebi, and whimsicott is cool since those aren't seen on generic grass. I'd like to fix some of your weaknesses to some of the threats you mentioned so lets dive into it.

Starting with your Skarmory/Heatran problem, I'd reccommend Earthquake>Giga Drain, and I know it may sound odd, but earthquake and hp fire together means steel has problems against it and getting those threats out of the way mean you can easily beat the rest of the steel team. I'm offering this because of the fact that since it's a grass mono, the other grass mons have better specially offensive grass moves and you already have synthesis on Venu for reliable recovery.

I'd also reccommend Serperior over Whimsicott or Celebi, as Serp with a life orb, contrary, and leaf storm make it deadly against most mono teams. It also has a good hidden power pool to choose from, such as Fire, Ground, Rock or even Ice. And a faster grass mon isn't bad to have at all considering how this team isn't that fast to begin with. Plus, glare on Serperior is good against any other fast offensive mons that threaten your team.

Scarf Rotom Mow is also a good pokemon to use incase you're worried about bird spam from Pidgeot, Charizard Mega Y, and Scarf Togekiss. It also works as a soft Scizor check thanks to the Electric typing and it's access to Hidden Power Fire. Hidden Power Ice is good too if your worried about Landorus/Garchomp. I also know this is kind of odd, but you could also use Scarf Celebi as a good fast Pokemon as well if you are worried about speed control. Thimo used it and had some good match ups with it.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 216 HP / 208 Def / 84 SpA
Lax Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Rock/Fire/Ground
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute/Glare

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Like I said before, the team looks pretty cool to begin with so it was hard trying to change sets :/. You could make the same team again, but with the different sets. It's what I like to do to keep both the original team and the edits. Either way, nice team Juleo.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Yo dude cool team, I think you would want to have defog on shiftry, I know its offensive, but otherwise there is not much use to sash on breloom, plus instead of just sucker punch as a shaky way to deal with aegi, you could also try good'ol knock off over either of sub or swords dance.
Otherwise I agree with Blackjack's changes.
Best of luck :o)

Ah yes, Classic juleocesear.

Lol kidding, but I like the team and the fact it has shiftry, celebi, and whimsicott is cool since those aren't seen on generic grass. I'd like to fix some of your weaknesses to some of the threats you mentioned so lets dive into it.

Starting with your Skarmory/Heatran problem, I'd reccommend Earthquake>Giga Drain, and I know it may sound odd, but earthquake and hp fire together means steel has problems against it and getting those threats out of the way mean you can easily beat the rest of the steel team. I'm offering this because of the fact that since it's a grass mono, the other grass mons have better specially offensive grass moves and you already have synthesis on Venu for reliable recovery.

I'd also reccommend Serperior over Whimsicott or Celebi, as Serp with a life orb, contrary, and leaf storm make it deadly against most mono teams. It also has a good hidden power pool to choose from, such as Fire, Ground, Rock or even Ice. And a faster grass mon isn't bad to have at all considering how this team isn't that fast to begin with. Plus, glare on Serperior is good against any other fast offensive mons that threaten your team.

Scarf Rotom Mow is also a good pokemon to use incase you're worried about bird spam from Pidgeot, Charizard Mega Y, and Scarf Togekiss. It also works as a soft Scizor check thanks to the Electric typing and it's access to Hidden Power Fire. Hidden Power Ice is good too if your worried about Landorus/Garchomp. I also know this is kind of odd, but you could also use Scarf Celebi as a good fast Pokemon as well if you are worried about speed control. Thimo used it and had some good match ups with it.

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 216 HP / 208 Def / 84 SpA
Lax Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Earthquake
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Rock/Fire/Ground
- Dragon Pulse
- Substitute/Glare

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earth Power
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Like I said before, the team looks pretty cool to begin with so it was hard trying to change sets :/. You could make the same team again, but with the different sets. It's what I like to do to keep both the original team and the edits. Either way, nice team Juleo.
Thanks for your insights, BlackJak.

The fact Mega-Venusaur doesn't have Earthquake is simply because I am still going to have trouble against Heatran (you know, Sludge Bomb + HP Fire cannot even touch its Air Baloon). Also, Giga Drain helps me to reliably check many Ground threats (remember Sandstorm hinders synthesis too), and the extra recovery is always appreciated for handling mons such as Excadrill and Mamoswine.

About Serperior, unlike many people think, it doesn't really add much to most grass teams, thanks to the fact nearly every monotype team actually has one way to counter or easily check it. It only excels at late game cleaning; if you manage to sweep as serperior then your opponent literally has no idea of what he/she is doing. Its subpar special attack often requires it to be at least +2 to do something. Its poor coverage often leaves it behind when compared to most other offensive grass mons. (Both Celebi and Whimsicott plays important roles in the team and have more offensive options)

Rotom-Mow, on the other hand, actually seems to be a good idea, and I have considered it when I was building it. But then I'd have to give up something really important in my team, and still, Flying (the type Rotom-Mow is meant to help against) still has many tools that can play around it and shut it down (Zapdos, Scarf Landorus-Therian, and so on). But yeah, I am aware of how useful that can be on certain times, especially for pivotting and checking key threats.

Scarf Celebi is useful when your opponent does not expect it, but my point is actually to have something who can heavily damage unprepared Poison teams, and also help against Fighting matchups. Running Choice Scarf would often force me to switch, since I would be locked into one move. Speed control isn't much of a trouble in this team, considering how many priority moves and bulky mons I have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)