Other Metagames [Monotype] Origins - A Balanced Dark Team. Peaked #33

Introduction

I originally started to get into competitive play late XY learning the OU tier, but I quickly became bored with that tier, so I then picked up Ubers and Monotype. However, I stopped playing Ubers about a month after ORAS was released, when Primal Groudon and Mega-Salamence began to plague the tier and when Hyper Offense began to flourish. As such, the Monotype tier has not only become my favorite tier, but the only tier where I actually enjoy myself while laddering. When I began playing this tier, I was hopping from type to type, making hot messes that I would refer to as "teams" and struggled with the tier as a whole. For example, I was adamant about winning an OT with a veryyyyyy bulky Normal team when Mono Steel is so prevalent in OTs.

I started admiring Mega Pikachu and Dream Eater Gengar, who I felt were incredibly good players at the time. However, I also noted that they handled themselves in a mature manner and were a positive influence to the community. As we all know, both of these scrubs main Mono Dark, so I tried to recreate one of DEG's Dark teams after watching him win a tournament with it, and I had finally managed to understand threats, wincons, strategic thinking, etc, which then enabled me to finally peak top 50, which was a great achievement for me at that time. Since then, the Monotype tier has progressively begun to flourish and we have finally been blessed with a Council. While I would love to see this tier thrive and be part of its upbringing, I am, unfortunately, in a transitional part of my life and can only watch from the sidelines due to my inactivity.

This team originally began as a rate for Physical Tyranitar's Mono Dark team, but I was unable to produce the rating in a reasonable amount of time, so I later decided to peak it myself and RMT it. I thought that his selected members were perfect for this team, so I only changed sets rather than team members. However, the sets themselves are very distinguishable, so one cannot say that our two teams are the same team.

I normally wouldn't RMT such a low peak, but I only have time to ladder at the dead of night, where my wins usually consist of a rise in 4-12ELO and my losses often constitute a drop of 22-34, which makes laddering incredibly frustrating. Anyways, after a very lengthy introduction, I go back to my roots within this tier and present "Origins."

The Team at a Glance

Teambuilding Process

The team was initially built around Banded Tyranitar. I saw that Physical Tyranitar kind of splashed this set on the team, but the idea of building around this really intrigued me.
Choice locked Tyranitar seemed easy to take advantage of, so I wanted to support him with a strong defensive core. I started with Mega-Sableye as a Fighting immunity, as a main wall, as a blanket check to threats, and for his incredible ability in Magic Bounce.
The next partner was an obvious choice in Mandibuzz, who not only completes the generic defensive core alongside Sableye and specially defensive Tyranitar, but who greatly bulks itself up without hazards on field.
I then needed offensive partners, so I added Hydreigon to both support and receive support from Tyranitar. Both of these partners work incredibly well together and beautifully break bulky, commonplace cores.
The team was looking weak to Sub-CM Keldeo, Mega-Gardevoir, and general Fighting spam + Terrakion while lacking speed, so Hoopa was added handle said threats and as a general revenge killer and cleaner.
While the team capitalized on breaking bulky builds, I had no way of placing immediate pressure onto bulky and offensive teams as I lacked hazards. The most viable rock setter for type already had a different role, so I settled for Bisharp, who sets up rocks and works well against common Defog users thanks to Defiant.

The Sets

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

What the team was initially built upon. An adamant nature maximizes damage output and capitalizes on wall breaking capabilities. The chosen EV spread gives Tyranitar enough bulk to check Mega-Diancie after two Stealth Rocks switch ins while still giving him enough speed to outpace every wall beneath the base 80 Speed tier. This includes all forms of defensive Skarmories, which happen to get 2HKO after rocks damage. A Jolly nature can be used to get a creep on base 90s like Meloetta, but bulk has to be sacrificed to do so.
Dual STABs are used to put a dent in anything switching in, and Superpower was chosen to hit any Rock resists and to completely laugh at Steel teams, as nothing on generic Steel wants to switch in on this set. The last slot was given to Pursuit to trap and break any specially defensive walls, such as Zapdos, Empeleon, Tentacruel, Piloswine, and Gastrodon.

Offensive Tyranitar has proved to be a nice surprise factor, as most good players see it paired with Sableye and Mandibuzz and think of it as specially defensive. Knowing that my opponent will think that I am specially defensive has worked very well in my favor, as threats such as Mega-Charizard-Y and Mega-Gardevoir are usually switched out and hit with Pursuit, as specially defensive Tyranitar can live a Focus Blast in the Sand from either of them. Pursuit also allows me to trap offensive threats such as Victini, Chandelure, and Latios.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 156-184 (46.7 - 55%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 253-298 (66 - 77.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Empoleon: 243-286 (65.4 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Tentacruel: 313-369 (86.2 - 101.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Piloswine: 178-210 (44 - 51.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Gastrodon: 256-303 (60 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite

Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Metal Burst

I opted for Mega-Sableye for its neat ability that maintains hazard control, which in turn bulks up Mandibuzz. Damage from rocks can now be negated from switching in, which prompts for more switch in opportunities for Mandibuzz. For this reason, a specially defensive spread was chosen on Sableye, which also helps me deal with threats such as: Thundurus, Landorus-I, Mega-Charizard-Y, and even Mega-Diancie. Knock Off was chosen to work in tandem with Will-O-Wisp by knocking off valueable recovery items while providing residual damage, which aids in further wall breaking. Furthremore, Sableye is bulky enough to Knock Off offensive items as well, such as choice items and Life Orbs, which not only bulk up the defensive core further, but aids the slow, offensive partners as well.

The last slot is reserved for a rather unconventional move for Sableye, and that move is Metal Burst. Metal Burst is generally an overlooked move on Sableye, but it is a move the holds this team together. By sacrificing itself, Sableye is often times able to blanket check a myriad of threats to the type.
252 SpA Mega Diancie Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 236-282 (77.6 - 92.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye in Sun: 205-243 (67.4 - 79.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 149-177 (49 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mega Sableye: 122-146 (40.1 - 48%) -- 61.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mandibuzz @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird

Mandibuzz is an invaluable asset to the type. Mandibuzz and Sableye alone can wall most Fighting teams, and Mandibuzz can single handedly eliminate Fighting type threats from other types. Mandibuzz has great mixed bulk and can even function as an emergency Keldeo check and completely walls threats like Breloom and Gallade.

Roost is chosen for longevity and Defog is there in case Sableye was not healthy enough to accomplish his role. Foul Play is used over Taunt or Toxic to punish anything trying to take advantage of my choice locked team members, and Brave Bird allows it to properly check Fighting type threats.

This is your standard Mandibuzz, but it has enough speed to out speed 252 Adamant Mega-Scizor. I've seen some good Steel users utilizing the OU core of Bisharp + Mega-Scizor incredibly well, and if Bisharp breaks Mandibuzz, then I have nothing for Bug Bite + Bullet Punch Mega-Scizor. Seriously, Mega-Scizor is completely broken in this tier and I would love to see a suspect test for this thing in the future.
Small note: An Impish nature is slightly more productive than a Jolly nature, despite the heavy investment in Speed.

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Crunch
- Superpower

After running the damage calcs for Pursuit on common special walls, I was incredibly tempted to run a Specs set on Hydreigon. However, I love Hydreigon's incredible coverage and vast move pool, so I decided to run him as a secondary wall breaker.

This is probably my favorite set for this tier, as most types don't have a valid switch in to this set. The combination of Dark Pulse/Draco Meteor and Superpower/Crunch can 2HKO most walls in the tier. Threats such as Gastrodon, Hippowdown, Heatran, Skarmory, Avalugg, Zapdos, Tentacruel, Swapert, and Mega-Venusaur crumble, with or without rocks.

Another neat thing about the mixed set is that if a slower mon is in the KO range of any move, I can fake either a fully special or physical set, and Hydreigon is not crippled after utilizing a Draco Meteor or Superpower. Seeing AV Meloetta being used as an emergency check on Psychic teams brings me great joy, as most Meloettas are OHKOd by Crunch after rocks.

Edit: I have tested Specs Hydreigon, and it works just as well because it hits so hard. A Specs set with Dark Pulse, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and Focus Blast/Superpower is just as potent.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 72 Atk / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyperspace Hole
- Thunderbolt
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot

This is my own Hoopa spread for Dark, and it is one that I highly recommend. 72 Attack EVs allows Hoopa to OHKO standard Mega-Gardevoir 100% of the time after rocks damage while threatening every single one of his partners on Psychic should it decide to switch out. Thunderbolt allows me to not only hit Manidbuzz, but to further pressure Flying teams, as Skarmory is generally a safe switch into Hoopa. Hyperspace Hole its chosen over Psychic or Psyshock as they hit through Substitute and Protect which mitigates Sub-CM/SD/NP and Wish- Protect shenanigans. Furthermore, Substitute is more common in this tier that others, and punishing a Substitute user is always nice. Gunk shot is used as a Fairy check.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

The team itself was built to capitalize on breaking bulkier builds to have Hoopa clean, but ironically enough, I had nothing to apply immediate pressure on bulky and offensive teams because I lacked hazards. Unfortunately, the most viable rock setter of the type was already fulfilling another role, and Krookodile is outclassed as a rock setter by Tyranitar and as a Scarf Moxie user by Honchkrow, so I opted for Bisharp.

A Focus Sash is used to not only set rocks on the field at least once, but to allow Bisharp to blanket check faster scarf threats such as Terrakion. Thunder Wave allows Bisharp to further support the slow team, and Knock Off + Iron Head were chosen as dual STABs to provide further utility and to continue to act as a good counterplay as a Fairy check. Jolly > Adamant to creep things running speed for neutral nature base 70s, such as Mew, Jirachi, Zapdos, Manaphy as well as other opposing Bisharps.

Utilizing Bisharp as a rock setter has made me have a greater appreciation for the tier, as it highlights the differentiating roles that commonplace mons can have in this tier as opposed to the roles in their respective tiers. Setting up rocks in the face of a common Defogger is wonderful, as the opponent is then pressured with the options of having permanent hazards on their side of the field, or to give Bisharp a free Defiant boost.
While I do have three different ways of dealing with Keldeo, nothing on appreciates switching in on him. Furthermore, if Keldeo opts to Calm Mind or over Substituting or if he manages to get a Calm Mind, then Hoopa can no longer OHKO him and risks a OHKO by Secret Sword.
This is a very dangerous core that must be played around carefully. Eliminate Bisharp with Sableye and/or Bisharp to allow Mandibuzz to remain healthy enough to tackle Scizor.

Since Mandibuzz isn't full bulk, switching in this thing is incredibly difficult. Luckily, Normal isn't common enough to worry about it too much, as Hoopa and Mandibuzz can check it, and because Sableye cannot be touched by any of Normal's hazard setters, which prevents residual damage.

Possibly the biggest threat to Dark Monos alongside Keldeo. Every time that Gardevoir comes in, something dies. If the opponent is good, you can fake Tyranitar being specially defensive and Pursuit trap it. Hoopa will always be able to check it.

Once again, nothing can switch into this, but it can be checked. Most Rock and Fairy users lead with it, so it's generally not too problematic as I'll lead Sableye.
Nothing can switch into this. Flamethrower sets cannot be OHKOd by Metal Burst. Getting damage on it and checking it with Hoopa or scaring it out with the thought of a specially defensive Tyranitar it the best bet.
Strong defensive cores have the potential to wall this build without hazards and with smart predictions. The most notable core is Hippowdon + Gastrodon, which can be remedied by giving Hoopa Energy Ball.

"Immunity" cores can be problematic, as their shared weaknesses are covered by a neutral hit or immunity, can often times require proper prediction.

Genie spam can be incredibly problematic. Each Incarnate Forme has as incredibly power STAB backed up by Focus Blast coverage, and Therian Formes are generally used in Volt-Turn cores. Knocking Off their offensive items with Sableye or the use of Metal Burst is the best way to deal with these.

Vs Ice

DatNiggaDarius (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

hehe bwoii (Sableye) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off
- Metal Burst

LilManaphyIsGood (Mandibuzz) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird

Double Fisted (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Crunch
- Superpower

LongDickStyle (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyperspace Hole
- Thunderbolt
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot

OML HEATTTTT (Bisharp) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Conclusion

The team in itself was a joy to use and offers a nice change to the generic archetype that is Mono Dark. I don't really have much to say to conclude this RMT that hasn't already been said, so all that I can say is that I wish scpinion and the rest of the council great luck with the tier and that I am eager to return to the community when I get the opportunity to do so. It is because of this tier and community that I still play this game, so I continue to help newer players with competitive teambuilding advice/workshops and mentoring for this tier in outside communities. Hopefully, that will eventually leave a tiny footprint in our community by helping provide a few quality players that do not taint the environment.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post, for giving it a rate, and/of for being part of this beautiful OM community.

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey. Nice team you got there. I'd suggest you to run Flash Cannon over Crunch on Hydreigon because that gives you one more things to hit fairies and not making it a complete setup bait for Clefable. I'd really not use those Speed EVs on Mandibuzz because Foul Play 2HKOs +2 Mega Scizor everytime, and you can tank more with more bulk. Also, Most Mega Scizors are Impish, and thus, you can outspeed them fairly easily. Also, Fire Punch over Crunch on Tyranitar is an option, since you have too much Dark-type STAB in your team, and Fire Punch helps you beat Mega Scizor since they will almost always predict you to switch out.

Other than that, solid team. Grats on peak and good luck!

Hey. Nice team you got there. I'd suggest you to run Flash Cannon over Crunch on Hydreigon because that gives you one more things to hit fairies and not making it a complete setup bait for Clefable. I'd really not use those Speed EVs on Mandibuzz because Foul Play 2HKOs +2 Mega Scizor everytime, and you can tank more with more bulk. Also, Most Mega Scizors are Impish, and thus, you can outspeed them fairly easily. Also, Fire Punch over Crunch on Tyranitar is an option, since you have too much Dark-type STAB in your team, and Fire Punch helps you beat Mega Scizor since they will almost always predict you to switch out.

Other than that, solid team. Grats on peak and good luck!
Hi Arifeen, thanks for the rate. I never quite understood the point of running Flash Cannon on LO Hydreigon. Flash Cannon on a scarf set can serve as a reasonable Diancie check, but I don't see the point of running it on a Life Orb set, as relevant threats such as Gardevoir and Togekiss are generally faster due to a scarf or Mega Evolution, or in Togekiss' case, specially defensive, which shrugs off a non STAB Flash Cannon. I can see Clefable as the only relevant target, and Hoopa and Tyranitar can freely deal with Clefable, which means that Crunch receives much more utility.

The problem that I have with Scizor against Dark is the offensive cores that Scizor forms. Once a partner breaks Mandibuzz, it is game over. While a +2 Bullet Punch does hurt, it is not as powerful as a +2 Bug Bite. Furthermore, most users won't even consider Mandibuzz to carry so much Speed and will opt out of Bullet Punch.

When we look at our current statistics, very free Scizors actually carry 252 Speed, but most of them are actually Adamant > Impish.

Adamant:248/252/0/0/8/039.2%
Impish:248/44/16/0/200/07.4%
Adamant:248/0/0/0/0/2524.9%
Adamant:4/252/0/0/0/2524.2%
Adamant:0/252/4/0/0/2523.3

Now that you mention it, I do have a sizeable amount of STAB on this team. Fire Punch is something that I'll consider, but it's not something that seems too alluring if it only has one target, who still beats Tyranitar at +2. I'm not generally fond of primary STAB, STAB, STAB on mono teams, but I am not necessarily against STAB spam when the type can achieve perfect neutral coverage with move selections, such as Mono Fairy or Dark.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really cool team ed wins! The bulky, Adamant Scizor set is the PS! recommended one so that is why you see it so often.

The Hydreigon set is really cool and it seems you've put quite a bit of thought into it, but I'll bring up running Flamethrower/Fire Blast over Crunch so you can OHKO Mega-Scizor. Hydreigon is actually really annoying if played well b/c +2 252+ M-Scizor can't OHKO unless it has taken LO recoil or SR damage.

Also, Scizor + Magnezone looks like a bitch to face for this team. Magnezone can easily come in on Mandi and Volt Switch around. That Sab isn't going to like taking repeated Volt Switches + hits from w/e physical attacker they Volt Switch into (likely Lum Bish to crack open that core).

Last edited:
Hey Ed, it's been a while since I heard from you! Anyways I like the team a lot, although I don't understand crunch on hydreigon. You can opt for fire blast so you can check scizor better, or even Roost to semi-negate lo and have hydrei around much linger. OR, you could run taunt to make it an excellent stallbreaker or anti lead (I run it on my dragon, it is awesome. Everything else I like, good job! :)

Edit: for sableye you could opt for a mixed defense set, but that isn't a nessesity.

Really cool team ed wins! The bulky, Adamant Scizor set is the PS! recommended one so that is why you see it so often.

The Hydreigon set is really cool and it seems you've put quite a bit of thought into it, but I'll bring up running Flamethrower/Fire Blast over Crunch so you can OHKO Mega-Scizor. Hydreigon is actually really annoying if played well b/c +2 252+ M-Scizor can't OHKO unless it has taken LO recoil or SR damage.

Also, Scizor + Magnezone looks like a bitch to face for this team. Magnezone can easily come in on Mandi and Volt Switch around. That Sab isn't going to like taking repeated Volt Switches + hits from w/e physical attacker they Volt Switch into (likely Lum Bish to crack open that core).
I've thought about running Fire Blast on Hydreigon to check Scizor, but I think that I'm only willing to run Fire Blast on a Specs set, as Hydreigon places immediate pressure on Steel teams and will get weathered on very early in the game if I do not want to lose control of the battle. As Stun suggested, Roost might be slightly better here in this singular regard.

Hey Ed, it's been a while since I heard from you! Anyways I like the team a lot, although I don't understand crunch on hydreigon. You can opt for fire blast so you can check scizor better, or even Roost to semi-negate lo and have hydrei around much linger. OR, you could run taunt to make it an excellent stallbreaker or anti lead (I run it on my dragon, it is awesome. Everything else I like, good job! :)

Edit: for sableye you could opt for a mixed defense set, but that isn't a nessesity.
The reason that I have dual Dark STABs on Hydreigon is because this is a tier where Balance teams dominate, and Crunch + Dark Pulse alongside Draco Meteor and x coverage move allows me to punish those bulky builds.

Think of it like this: I'm battling a Water user. They lead physically defensive Swampert to get up rocks while I lead Hydreigon. Fearing a Scald onto a double switch into Tyranitar, I make a middle ground play and predict a pivot into Emploleon or Tentcruel, where I then Crunch to abuse their specially defense investment. At that point, the Water user will think that I'm physical, which will then pivot into Swampert only to take a Dark Pulse or Draco.

Most types that offer a dominant balance style face similar scenarios, and that is my reasoning for having dual Dark STABs

So this team made it to RMT of the Week... Yay!

I've been toying around with Specs Hydreigon, but I've only had time for a few battles. Hydreigon definitely makes a great wincon vs Steel. However, Specs Hydreigon cannot be played as recklessly as LO Hydreigon.

I've added two replays, but I'm on mobile and can't hyperlink. Also, I keep editing the hides of the new relays, but the format keeps changing after I clock save :i

The Original Syn

Banned deucer.
Wow, that's a really awesome team.
I love the creativity of using your own HUpa spread and it's really refreshing to see a Dark team that doesn't bring Weavile.

I main Psychic and I'd love to battle you at some point.

Last edited:
Wow, that's a really awesome team.
I love the creativity of using your own HUpa spread and it's really refreshing to see a Dark team that doesn't bring either Bisharp or Weavile.

I main Psychic and I'd love to battle you at some point.
Check one more time
Surprise, surprise. I have a bisharp xd
Bisharp is just too good for the type as it can counter play against threats very well.

If you still want to battle, we can set one up for tomorrow

Lot of creativity goin in this team, the only suggestion i can give is maybe change Thunderbolt for Fire Punch on Hoopa-u, it helps a lot again Klefki, Scizor and friends, and skarmory also, which are gonna be switching a lot into it. Again flyers u have megasableye anyway, which stop most of them.

Nice team, pretty much the first monotype team in RMT forums which i think deserve Team Showcase.

Last edited:
Lot of creativity goin in this team, the only suggestion i can give is maybe change Thunderbolt for Fire Punch on Hoopa-u, it helps a lot again Klefki, Scizor and friends, and skarmory also, which are gonna be switching a lot into it. Again flyers u have megasableye anyway, which stop most of them.

Nice team, pretty much the first monotype team in RMT forums which i think deserve Team Showcase.
Hey! Thanks for the compliments and rate.
While Fire punch does seem like a great option to combat against Bug, I feel like Thunderbolt is overall better. Tyranitar, Hydreigon, and Mandibuzz can all counter play the type very well as is. Steel has stopped the utilization of Klefki ever since it lost Mawile as a partner, and Fairy isn't overly common, unfortunately. While I do think that having a safe way of cracking Klefki open vs Fairy can be beneficial, it will be a useless coverag move in most matchups when we take usage statistics into consideration. Conversely, Thunderbolt not only hits Skarmory harder, but it also hits everything that you want on Flying-Mandibuzz, Togekiss, Gyarados, and Tornadus. Sableye on its own is not a proper defense against Flying, as so many Flying users are confusing Monotype with VGC 2015, as so many of them consist of cancerous genie spam with VoltTurn pressure, which chips away at Sableye and most of the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)