Project Monotype Player of the Week #22: 1 True Lycan

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
Approved by scpinion
Based off of other potws

Hey everyone and welcome to the twenty-second installment of Monotype Player of the Week!

This week I have a well known player and Monotype Room Voice; 1 True Lycan! Before we get into it, this will be a weekly thing where I interview well known players to try and see into their mind a bit. I'm picking off from where I left off in ORAS, for other Player of the Week interviews check out the Gen 6 Monotype forums. If anyone has any suggestions on who I should interview, feel free to contact me on PS. Anyway, let's get to it!

1 True Lycan

To start off with, tell us a little bit about yourself.
- Well I'm a second year university student studying Maths and Physics. In my spare time I like to chill out playing mons, play sports such as badminton and football, and go to the gym.

What is your favorite Pokemon?
- Well I only really remember the first series of the pokemon anime, but the episodes with Primeape were really good and made me love the pokemon. Unfortunately I don't play lower tiers so I never get to use it, but I've always thought it was a cool mon.

How did you get your username?
- Well I originally had a different name, but I noticed everyone else had cool names so I decided I should change it. I kinda like fantasy stuff so I picked the name Lycan and then I just put 1 True in front of it. Looking back on it, this name really isn't cool at all LOL but oh well. It is kind of nice that 1 True Lycan can be seen as 1 Truly Can, although I didn't actually realise it at the time.

How did you get into Monotype?
- I was just chilling on main when a user called Metallica sent a mass pm to people in the lobby asking them to test for his league. I didn't even have a team, I literally just did a quick google search and found a ground team from some random website. It actually had some cool sets such as Scarf Mamoswine and I ended up using the team for the whole of gen 5, and even now it's still a nice team which gets wins whenever I play gen 5.

What do you feel you're most known for?
- I think I'm known just for playing in tournaments and stuff since I rarely ladder. Back when leagues were a big thing on Frost I think I was known because I did well in LvLs, and then winning the first Monotype Ladder Tour really got my name out there to the general monotype community. More recently I got into WCOP for oras ou so people might know me from there.

What is the Pokemon you use the most?
- In Gen 6 it was definitely Jirachi. I mained steel and honestly Jirachi was criminally under rated. It has amazing utility, and the set I used (calm mind 3 attacks) really patched up the weaknesses steel usually has. In gen 7 I'm not really sure because I don't 'main' a type anymore. I guess I'll say Landorus just because it's fun watching everything die to earth power.

What is your favorite type to use in Monotype, and what is your favorite type overall?
- Steel to both. I enjoy using steel because because it is a very effective type to use in a balanced playstyle. I much prefer it to water/flying/psychic because it's more fun to use and also, if built properly, I think it's much better at countering its weaknesses than the others.

What playstyle do you prefer?
- I love playing balance because it means I have to think long term (s/o pokeaim and mrjamvad)

What is your favorite thing about Gen 7 Monotype?
- It's a new metagame and it allows me to be creative when building.

How do you feel about where you stand in the community right now?
- Not bad at all, I think being a member of the most prestigious monotype clan certainly helps my image (s/o God #SoAoverWoA#freemyniggadece1t#
(requested by lycan))

Are there any players you looked up to when you were starting out or still look up to?
- Not really tbh, I played my own game and just wanted to have fun. I didn't really feel that anyone was better than me either, with the exception of maybe pk-kaiser because when I was starting out he was always topping the ladder and beating all the leagues.

Any players that you think are underrated and that we will see a lot from in the future?
- Yung terrors is lowkey decent so I think he can do well if he carries on improving.

What advice would you give to newer players?
- Play to have fun, don't be cancer unless its ironic feelslit

What is your favorite memory on Pokemon Showdown?
- The general feeling of being a part of a league back in the day was really nice, doing LvLs was the best thing ever. As for individual memories, I guess hearing about wanka's ROCK HARD SCHLONG was pretty funny.

To finish things off, could you share a team with your favorite type and playstyle and give a short explanation for it?
- Ngl I've been pretty lazy with building lately so I don't even have a balanced steel team this gen lmao. I did have a decent one but then Mega Metagross got banned, so in celebration of that I shall share my balanced ice instead!
Ninetales-Alola @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Encore
- Moonblast
- Freeze-Dry
- Nasty Plot

Kyurem-Black @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Rash Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Roar
- Recover
- Avalanche

Sandslash-Alola @ Choice Band
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Spear
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Ninetales is nice vs fighting and water. Babiri Kyurem checks Mega Scizor nicely. Jolly Sandslash checks scarf Jirachi when hail is up, and Weavile has pursuit to trap Victini and other threatening pokemon. You basically just weaken stuff and then sweep, idrk what to say. It did beat shadestep's steel team though so that shows its top 5.

Well that concludes this interview. Feel free to post your questions below.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
oh, a math student. This has always bugged me. Thoughts?

let x=y
this means: x^2 = xy

Time to do some algebra:
x^2 – y^2 = xy – y^2 (subtract y^2 from both sides)
(x+y)(x–y) = y(x–y) (factor both sides)
x+y = y (cancel terms)
2y = y (use x=y)
2=1

What gives!?!? Is the world not what we think? I pretty sure I'm onto something here!

/s (in case it isn't obvious)

let x=y

Time to do some algebra:
x+y = y (cancel terms)
2y = y (use x=y)
2=1

What gives!?!? Is the world not what we think? I pretty sure I'm onto something here!

I am a maths student so I can confirm that it all checks out. I guess the only logical explanation is that this all a big cover up, 2 was equal to 1 all along and they just pretended it wasn't to give lonely mathematicians something to do in their spare time. Idk what to do with my life now, might do film studies or something..

1) Thing you hate the most in the monotype community ?
2) Your favorite football team in UK ?
3) What do you think about M-Mawile if it didn't learn Sucker Punch (Ban, no ban,...) ?

1) Thing you hate the most in the monotype community ?
2) Your favorite football team in UK ?
3) What do you think about M-Mawile if it didn't learn Sucker Punch (Ban, no ban,...) ?
1. Way too many people in our community think it's ok to roleplay. It's really strange and not something people should be doing imo
2. Manchester United lgi
3. It would probably not be banned tbh, it's too slow to wallbreak and sweep without it.

let x=y

Time to do some algebra:
x+y = y (cancel terms)
2y = y (use x=y)
2=1

Throw away the magic of variables and its easier to see. If x = y, assign them both the number 6.

6^2 = 6*6 == x^2 = xy

Technically the above is fine but already illegal. The critical failure happens when you subtract both sides by 36 but aren't acknowledging xy as 36, you're treating it as if it were this:
36 - 36 = 6*? - 36
x^2 – x^2 = xz – x^2 (and then instead of finding the value of a variable you get duped)

If you know x = y then x is y, meaning you are NOT ALLOWED to allocate different letters to them. It happened to work out last time, but because you aren't making xy a squared variable, you are choosing to ignore the given and the result is a disaster (and then using the given to make it weirder).

If that wasn't bad enough, you divided by zero. You should sit down and think about what you have done....

Last edited:
Why Britain leaves Europa? What's your opinion about it?
It's terrible, we're all going to die.
Most memorable monotype tourney match you have watched?
A few games come to mind, but I think the most memorable was in mpl 2 when i think it was Ashaury (might have been Arifeen) brought a taunt rain dance keldeo vs dyla's ground team and dyla forfeited immediately. That was awesome.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)