Team Monotype Premier League VII - Semifinals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp since the treeckos are out, Thank you LuckyPiper and Crashy for letting me be an unofficial tester for you guys, it was fun letting me play the tier I wanted throughout and make up some teams, one of whom got used by you guys (and sadly lost cause of bad mu) You two along with everyone else in the group made me, coo and everyone else undrafted in your room for support actually feel like we were on your team throughout this whole tour. Thank you for the fun times and I hope I get to officially join someone’s team for gen 5 next year

(P.s Dieu Amphibien you did an amazing job for playing a tier that prior to this tour you had no experience in, I’d take any wins or loses you recieved in the tour in stride)

Well We may not have won but we did make playoffs (despite being last in the PR). I've got a lot to say about this years squad but I'd like to start by saying sorry, I wasn't as active as I usually am because of a lot of irl stuff and I definitely could have done more. That being said you guys are fucking warriors, You guys all built and helped each other build and I love seeing that kind of team effort in these. I think this draft was really good despite what anyone said, we had tons of strong players and motivated dudes. I loved teaming with all of you and hopefully we team again in the future.

Crashy I'm real glad you agreed to manage with me bro. You Taide and them were my first friends on this site and god bless for that, shit has been nothing but fun and I'm glad us 3 got to run a team for sure. I'm hoping you'll still be down next year because we gotta win at least once bro lmao. The energy you bring to teamchats is something I don't think is appreciated enough, but that shit carries teams fr.

taide You're hard on yourself, You've become a real threat in oras and I'm glad you did well. You and Crash are probably the people I'm closest with on this site so I was stoked that us 3 basically got to manage a team. I hope you'll take back what you said and be down to run it back next year because mpl with yall is what keeps me going in monotype lmfao

King Choco Shiba yedla the SS core, you guys held it the fuck down up there. Thank god we had 3 shooters in SS because I want nothing to do with that tier. You guys took care of prep, scouting, building, everything. I'm glad you all did pretty well. I'd love to team with you guys again in future tours Treeckos will get that ring next time.

adjustments Dieu Amphibien I'm pretty sure I'm stuck buying both of you fucking clowns for the forseeable future. Adjustments you've improved a lot, you got some solid wins and you're a good team presence. Dieu on the other hand you fucking suck at Pokemon (especially oldgens ou) and you make me want to end my life but you're really funny sometimes!

TheArchitect_ ArkenCiel you guys didn't have the best tour ik but you guys had some tough games+mu's, You guys were still helpful and great teammates. Loved teaming with you guys sorry bout how it went ;w;

nomadderwhat I wish you were more into mons still it's super fun watching you play, you gave me a heart attack week 1 when I saw that ghost team but you played it well imo, you also secured that W later in the tour

Pajamazz you may have been afk for a good bit of the tour but you were Kinda helpful when you were here :) You're also 1-0 (king) and honestly you've come a long way since I met you :3

RAP Yogurt Trouser Snakes schwipper Ronman5 Jahkem Hurtadoo bea you guys were the best cheerleaders I coulda asked for (some of you were also very involved in prep/testing and I appreciate that a LOT. I hope some of you make it next year whether it's on my team or anyone elses. you def deserve to be in.

FatFighter2 Leru Sae Wanka Fraolain You guys joined after your team was out and offered some help for sure. Leru in specific put in a lot of effort helping us this week and I know FF2 saved one of our games for sure. Sorry we couldn't show up better but I'm thankful for the help.

Rooting for the Braves now :3

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
AHHHHHHHHHH it's tough to go out in semis again but I'd fucking do it all over again even knowing the end result because of my team. Each and every single member (officially and unofficially on the team) was amazing and you all contributed so much to the team in so many different ways I can't even list them all. I'll be honest and say that I had no intention in managing this year until Jyph approached me and I was like fuck it. I thought Jyph seems motivated enough I'll just climb on his back and let him handle everything after the season starts, but holy fuck just seeing the entire team and how good of a group this was made me go back on my decision. I'm sorry that I couldn't do more helping the team building / testing wise because of my lack of newer gen knowledge (might be a good thing because I'm trash anyway LOL). But yeah, I loved every single moment with this team and it's definitely the best team I've been a part of in terms of quality, fun and the vibes.

Jyph Bro I'm so grateful that you asked me to manage. You asking me knowing that I'm not good with the meta is something I really appreciated. I didn't think I'd be this invested in the tour when I first agreed but the team blew me away. I know you don't care about records but I still want you to know that you're 100000x better than what any record says (esp considering you keep using these bum ass types like Poison). I can't believe this went from me calling you mega toxic last season to now saying how good you were overall LOL. I appreciate you being positive all the time even when things weren't going our way and how you found the plus side in everything (like starting 0-1 every week lmao). This was like our 4th time teaming together and it was as fun as ever.

Decem Someone else said this before and I'll say it in public, you are 100% the most improved and one of the best players in the tier right now. Not just in terms of playing but also in terms of building and helping even though you keep sneaking in insane crack teams on the dl lmfao. I know you didn't want to horse this tour but the fact that you were still open to anyone asking was amazing to watch. I know everyone knows this already but you're genuinely one of the nicest people on the site and it showed this season. You carried the backbone of our team in SS and SM by passing teams and I truly appreciate everything you did this season.

Pak BIG CHEST PAK. I'm mega happy I got to team with you this season. You were amazing all throughout the tour and the team atmosphere you and IP created with the pokemon clips was so fun. Always gotta remember those crazy contraptions can't create the kind of classic catastrophe one can cause by cleverly concealing a calamitous crater!

Meta I wanted to get you last year but stinky piper retained you but I finally got it done this season. You were crucial to our run and clutched up in a lot of the weeks when we were either down or level in the week score. Your positive attitude (along with your positive record lmao) was great to have in the team chat even though I swear you were like the only person that didn't bully airfare (vibin) in the team chat LMAO.

kythr What a fucking performance from you my god. 8-0?!?! And 8-1 in LCPL???? What the fuck I guess it's finally time people saw the hype behind kythr in prediction posts huh? I was pleasantly surprised when you asked about signing up since I assumed you had quit Mono. The improvement in your game from last year to this year was insane. You made choppy misplays (which happens at the start) last year but now your game is polished as fuck. Seeing that progress really made me happy.

Feen I just realized we never teamed together in like the 7 years of Mono team tours until WC this year and we did it again 3 months later lmao. You're a fun guy and I'm hella happy for you irl (I saw your post grats). We gotta meet up before you leave you just need to stop playing genshin for like 5 minutes.

Xiri Big clutch Xiri coming through every single week for us. I don't understand how you just came in and won every week so casually as if it was no big deal lmao. Especially considering how solid your games were, you might just be the steal of the season with 7-1 for 4.5k in a competitive asf SM playerbase. Hope I get to see more of you (especially on Asia in MWC) in the future bro.

airfare (vibin) I know I made fun of you the entire season but jokes apart I'd buy you every tour I'd manage just for the shitposting you bring to the team. Fighting your whoring ALL season was exhaustive as fuck and I'm just happy I won't have to do it anymore since I'm going to perma lock you from every channel (vibin). On a real though I truly appreciate how active you were for testing and even helping out here and there building wise every week. Airfare not negative in mpl oml....

Azelea ahhh how'd we end up in this scenario again bro. I swear we deadass keep swearing off Mono tours the second after it ends but then somehow get roped back in lmfao. You played the typical Azelea role to perfection again by dying off til week 3 and then randomly being put in and smashing your opponent. You already know I love you but this gotta be the last tour bro I swear LMAOOO.

GotCookies FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE STOP USING DD LATIOS. I will literally find a way to banword dd latios on discord just to never hear it ever again. Your game vs meeps was a hl for me that showed how much you've improved (2017 cookies would never have scouted for dragon gem Salamence). I'm really grateful for how much you put in through asking people if they wanted to test on your own and building wise. You're great as long as you just bring normal NON-DD LATIOS teams.

Indigo Plateau IP on deez nuts. I know you're not happy with your record but trust me bro, I don't give a fuck about any of that. The amount of effort you put in this tour blew my mind. I never expected this when stupid idiot Wanka pm'd me to get you. I deadass just expected you to say a few lines here and there and just die off LOL. You got unlucky in some of your games and on another day you'd have an amazing record but I really hope this tour encourages you to stick around in Mono and come back for more tours since people who actually try like you are greatly appreciated around here.

TeamCharm Ayo I'm gonna miss your drunk self-deprecating just wanting to play mons texts in the team chat at like 5 AM bro. Having you on the team was a rollercoaster from your teams to your personality. I know how much you hate losing but your record doesn't justify how good you were overall (esp since you brought memes 2 of the weeks lol). You're definitely going to be a big part of our community going forward and I really hope I see more of you in the room and in tournaments. tc (definitely insane).

Hyperspace12 Dude I'm gonna be 100% real with you, there were times in the latter parts of the regular season when i genuinely thought "Okay we're close to playoffs its time to give people like hyper a few games" and then it later hit me that you weren't actually on the team but god damn it felt like it. I genuinely mean it when I say I don't think we would've done this well if we didn't have you and if I could go back in time and make one change in our team, it would be to buy you. Your potential is massive and I genuinely think you're gonna be at the top in a year if you keep this up. I heavily enjoyed having you around on the team just please go chomper next time.

Wyn WHY CANT I TAG YOU NOOOO. I truly appreciate everything you did for us even though you were so busy irl. The fact that you helped every week in ORAS was amazing and I honestly felt bad at times even asking you since you're such a nice person and are always ready to help. You're one of my closest friends on this site and I'm happy we got to do this again after MPL 3. Say gg. It's a thing of respect.

Cell I really appreciate you coming in to our cord and helping us out. It really felt like you were on the team with the way you tried to chime in the slots (s.o rough skin sharpedo lmao). Crazy how this is the closest we've been to teaming since MPL 1 but if we ever participate in a tour in the future, we gotta do it again.

Freeroamer North The BW crew. You guys were amazing cheerleaders and I loved having your guys' input in the team chat. I respect you both a lot as players and it was nice to properly be in a team chat with you two and Jyph. Both of you guys chiming in during games and in random tier channels was amazing to see.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Jyph Zar I'm happy to be playing for you guys this season. I'm sorry my motivation really hit rock bottom this tournament but I'm glad I could help out nonetheless.

To the rest of my teammates and people who supported us, thank you guys as well. I don't really have anything more to say than you guys made this tournament fun even if not getting into SCL left a sour taste in people's mouths which ruined the atmosphere of the tournament a bit.

Hyperspace12 I wanted to shout you out in particular because I believe you have the potential to be a really good player in the future. From the start of when we began talking you've made a lot of improvements both battling and playing wise to the point where you were doing most of the SS stuff throughout the season. I really enjoy hanging out with you even if it's just shitposting random sets because you're a really nice person as well.
Since our season is over and my motivation to play this game has diminished a ton I wanted to say a few words regarding this tournament. If I were to be real this tournament wasn't as enjoyable for me outside of our team chat because I believe the possibility of being included in SCL skewed people's images on the tier and community a lot.

This made me really think of what Monotype as a community is. I've been on this site for 6 years and I've been in this community for 5, and it's honestly like a little bubble and family even though a lot of us get into arguments and talk shit about each other here and there. Back when we were all chilling in leagues, Monotype wasn't all about being possibly included in a trophy tournament; hell, we were just an OM and horrible type mains. Despite this, the tier was fun as shit because at the end of the day, we were all having tons of fun with each other. As of now, people have gotten better but still they don't play Monotype because they want to start it in a trophy tournament, they join the community and they play the tier because they truly have a passion for them. We don't really need a green trophy to motivate us to improve. Monotype has always been just about being the next hotshot player to impress the rest of the community you love even though we meant basically nothing to the rest of the outside tournaments community on Smogon. It's always been about being the next Laxus, the next PK-Kaiser, the next 1 True Lycan, the next Chaitanya or the next Trichotomy, and that's what motivated everyone to improve. This is the reason why we've always had a ton of household names and staple players. There has always been a lot of passion for MPL and it really shows that we as a community don't really need objective rewards to be happy and stick by each other. Monotype being in SCL would have been really nice, but I don't think the community that I've enjoyed here for so long would be the same because we'd get a lot of hate externally which would ruin the vibe. Even though I was never like the best tier leader, the best decision maker or the best player, I'm truly glad that I decided to spend my time on this website here because it's produced very nice memories and I got to meet a lot of great people. Moving on, I do think we should try to introduce more people to the community especially since a lot of older people are leaving due to life, but it's just natural.

College starts tomorrow for me and I've basically hit my ceiling as a Pokemon player. I just really wanted to say that I love this community and I'm proud to call it my home. I don't think I'll be as active as before due to life things but I'll still stick around because I have a lot of friends here. :heart:

kythr

save the ocean
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributoris a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion
quick thanks to Zar & Jyph for deciding to retain me after me approaching them - as zar already said it sucks to lose in semis again but regardless there'd be no other manager pair i'd like to play for more even if i knew the outcome.

s/o to the rest of the team for being goats and cultivating an amazing atmosphere even if i wasnt that active in chat. however i'd like to specifically s/o Hyperspace12 for being the actual goat. this dude built my ss teams every week and deserves just as much credit as i do for my, and the bucks' success. every mpl manager, including my own, were idiots for not drafting him as he is, in my eyes, truly the next monotype prodigy.

rooting for my friend Mateeus in finals but would also be happy to see my pal Splash win too - best of luck to both!

also bring back leagues

Since our season is over and my motivation to play this game has diminished a ton I wanted to say a few words regarding this tournament. If I were to be real this tournament wasn't as enjoyable for me outside of our team chat because I believe the possibility of being included in SCL skewed people's images on the tier and community a lot.

This made me really think of what Monotype as a community is. I've been on this site for 6 years and I've been in this community for 5, and it's honestly like a little bubble and family even though a lot of us get into arguments and talk shit about each other here and there. Back when we were all chilling in leagues, Monotype wasn't all about being possibly included in a trophy tournament; hell, we were just an OM and horrible type mains. Despite this, the tier was fun as shit because at the end of the day, we were all having tons of fun with each other. As of now, people have gotten better but still they don't play Monotype because they want to start it in a trophy tournament, they join the community and they play the tier because they truly have a passion for them. We don't really need a green trophy to motivate us to improve. Monotype has always been just about being the next hotshot player to impress the rest of the community you love even though we meant basically nothing to the rest of the outside tournaments community on Smogon. It's always been about being the next Laxus, the next PK-Kaiser, the next 1 True Lycan, the next Chaitanya or the next Trichotomy, and that's what motivated everyone to improve. This is the reason why we've always had a ton of household names and staple players. There has always been a lot of passion for MPL and it really shows that we as a community don't really need objective rewards to be happy and stick by each other. Monotype being in SCL would have been really nice, but I don't think the community that I've enjoyed here for so long would be the same because we'd get a lot of hate externally which would ruin the vibe. Even though I was never like the best tier leader, the best decision maker or the best player, I'm truly glad that I decided to spend my time on this website here because it's produced very nice memories and I got to meet a lot of great people. Moving on, I do think we should try to introduce more people to the community especially since a lot of older people are leaving due to life, but it's just natural.

College starts tomorrow for me and I've basically hit my ceiling as a Pokemon player. I just really wanted to say that I love this community and I'm proud to call it my home. I don't think I'll be as active as before due to life things but I'll still stick around because I have a lot of friends here. :heart:
That’s a very good mindset to have about it. my own activity has dipped down a lot, I always saw this community as a way for me to have fun screw around with sets, I did have passion to try and become better at metagames I had no knowledge in like SM and SS but honestly life got in the way. I def hit my ceiling in ORAS but just stick around for my love of the game and talking to players I know from new people I’ve never chatted to before to older players like well you Decem, and the many others who have left over the years like Barida, Stunfisk, Etc. When I do eventually leave for good I will look back fondly on these times.

All I have to say is enjoy college and remember the fun times you had on here.

swinubfan44

formerly TeamCharm
just wanted to give some shout outs for my team, as this was the most fun group ive been able to work with in my time on PS, and have had some of the most fun I've had on this site.

Zar & Jyph i'm extremely glad y'all were able to draft me, you both are extremely cool people and a lot of fun to chat with & im incredibly glad i was able to work/bs with yall for the past 8 or so weeks. Zar even though you didn't really play mons, I always loved hearing you chime in on whatever witchcraft me/Decem threw into my channel. i really hope we can team up again at some point in the future, although I know both of y'all are on the twilight of your mons careers.

Hyperspace12 it's honestly insane to me how you were not drafted for this, and I am sure you will go for a large sum of money in whatever monotype draft league you sign up for next, Decem/Kythr/Zar already said this, but just to reiterate a bit, you put so much effort into building teams as well as helping everyone else on the team out as well as just being a genuinely super nice person to talk with. We were super lucky to get your support for the team-----6th man of the year for sure (or 9th man i guess in this specific case).

Xiri - you're unbelievably good at every tier you touch, I don't know how you are able to have such godly consistency, but teaming up with you in these last two tours has been a pleasure.

Indigo Plateau- I can say IP is genuinely one of the best team mates you can ask for in any team tour on this site. Extremely active, helpful, and just a great presence in general. Obviously the record wasn't what you would have wanted (neither was mine though), but seeing the effort you put in every week was crazy. I'm happy I was able to team up with you here, & now lets go win uu world cup

kythr - 8-0........unreal. your'e a good friend of mine & if it wasn't for you I probably wouldn't have been drafted here, so I really owe you a lot for that. Genuinely one of the best people I've gotten to meet so far on this site, maybe we'll team again in something soon otherwise im going to come for ur LC riboon noob (this will not ever happen).

Decem I've been able to team with you a couple times now, & your'e always a fantastic person to be on a team with, your activity, general helpfulness, as well as just being a super nice person to work with. even though you said you hit a low mark for motivation I honestly couldn't even tell at all. At least we won (i have to specify Tours Room) BLT

airfare you're a clown, but more importantly you're a super funny/great dude & also incredibly fun to team with

GotCookies genuinely hilarious guy, very fun to team with although your play was a little bit....confusing? in the bo3. u should have won with the screens regidrago DD lati i passed you, but u decided to go for 4 DDs.......

Wyn - also an incredibly funny and great person to team with.

Pak- thanks for the Gen 3 OU teams, jk- but you're a super cool dude, good to see someone on smogon who enjoys lifting weights as much as me

Meta youre the goat. awesome guy to team with

everyone else who i missed---thanks for the season guys, it was really a great time, never thought i would have this much fun in MPL & I probably wouldn't have had as much fun on any other team.

rooting for the undefeated goat Sificon and JT in finals now

Last edited:

Ticken

Lotad & Bulbasaur Enthusiast
is a Top Tutoris a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
B101 Leader
Let's not derail the tournament into support for leagues, please. Leagues have never outright been forbidden but they are not officially endorsed either and never will be. Any future posts discussing leagues in this MPL's threads will be removed or its content will be edited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)