Resource Monotype USM Viability Rankings

Volcanion D -> B , at the very least C rank

So I've been messing around with and building with Volcanion. I'm really confused as to why it's D rank on water. It's much more usable than the other mons in D rank such as cloyster, politoed, and crawdaunt. It can function as an offensive defogger, water immunity, and fairy resist. It also is one of the few pokemon on water that can live a scarf woodhammer from tapu bulu and retaliate. It's also much easier to fit on teams than other pokemon in D rank, and more in line with the usability of pokemon in B rank, at the very least C rank. It can function as a breaker as well with choice specs. Using the set Fire Blast/Steam Eruption/Earth Power/Hidden Power Electric, it can plow through offensive cores such as flying, poison, and also checks belly drum Azumarill. It also naturally checks Sableye. Venusaur getting two hit koed by fire blast, or taking up to 90% from Z fire blast on offensive defogging sets, and toxapex getting two hit koed by both variants especially if its burned previously. The only argument I can assume for volcanion's "low viability" is that it fills the roll that keldeo traditionally fills as a breaker, which it doesn't do as well since keldeo has better speed, better coverage, beats chansey, hits on the physical side of special walls with secret sword, and hits water resists with the combination of hp electric/icy wind; though it lacks defog utility and is walled by grass types such as venusaur and tapu bulu. I found that I liked pairing them together though. Volcanion can do the breaking so keldeo can run cm/taunt or cm/sub with a z item while volcanion is specs. If the team is in need of a defogger, you can run Defog Z fire blast volcanion and have keldeo do the breaking. They pair really well together.

Here are some notable calcs for ya'll to chew on:
Vs Toxapex
252+ SpA Volcanion Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 158-188 (51.9 - 61.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 238-282 (78.2 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

Vs Mantine
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Hidden Power Electric vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Mantine: 292-344 (78 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Vs Fairy
252+ SpA Volcanion Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Klefki through Light Screen: 372-438 (116.9 - 137.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Volcanion Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 361-426 (91.6 - 108.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volcanion in Grassy Terrain: 252-297 (83.7 - 98.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Vs Venusaur
252+ SpA Volcanion Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 278-330 (76.3 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Volcanion Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 248-294 (68.1 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Watch volc put in work ;u;
Me vs NJNP (while he was streaming)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/battlearea-gen7monotype-35863

In this game Keldeo + Volc worked in tandem to continually pressure jellicent till volcanion eventually knocks it out with its Z
Me vs Trash (Smog Exhibition)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-705191171
Not to minimod but for clarification you should probably include the typing in the bold part of your nomination.

Also your calc against Bulu seems a bit confusing to me, as it looks like Volcanion can be KO'd by tge smallest amount of chip damage, including Stealth Rock. Volcanion isn't really succesful as an offensive Defogger because it's weak to SR and lacks any recovery at all on offensive sets, and as previously mentioned, SR damage causes Volcanion to fall to Bulu. But I'm not a particular expert on using Water (if I use it at all I use some combination of Swift Swim and balance) so maybe I'm wrong at this
Although I have to agree that it's kinda weird to me too that Volcanion is only D rank, it looks more like a C mon to me.

Not to minimod but for clarification you should probably include the typing in the bold part of your nomination.

Also your calc against Bulu seems a bit confusing to me, as it looks like Volcanion can be KO'd by tge smallest amount of chip damage, including Stealth Rock. Volcanion isn't really succesful as an offensive Defogger because it's weak to SR and lacks any recovery at all on offensive sets, and as previously mentioned, SR damage causes Volcanion to fall to Bulu. But I'm not a particular expert on using Water (if I use it at all I use some combination of Swift Swim and balance) so maybe I'm wrong at this
Although I have to agree that it's kinda weird to me too that Volcanion is only D rank, it looks more like a C mon to me.

-The Defog set has a good chance of Ohkoing clefable from full with its Z, preventing rocks. As well as with a little bit of bulk allows it to live a diamond storm from diancie from full

-Thank you I forgot about adding the type I’m nomming for; added it now.

-Also, what do you expect? Volcanion to be able to stomach a woodhammer even after rocks. Even toxapex doesn’t do that well unless it’s bunker lol.

Last edited:

Volcanion D -> B (Water)
I disagree with this.

Volcanion suffers from a lot of problems making it really hard to fit on teams and thus fitting in D rank just fine. It has a bad Speed tier and not enough bulk to reliably compensate for it. A Fire typing hurts a lot more than it helps. The only notable matchup that Volcanion actually directly improves is Poison, which it doesn’t even excel at as well as other Water-types such as Mega Sharpedo. You emphasize the Fairy matchup, which is not relevant at all to Volcanion’s case as it loses to the one-two punch that threatens Water: Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu.

can live a scarf woodhammer from tapu bulu and retaliate.
It’s very unreasonable to expect Volcanion to be at 100% for the whole game and not get chipped by a single round of Stealth Rock or just about anything else. Just because it can live a single Wood Hammer without having taken any prior damage throughout the whole game does not make it a reliable Bulu answer. This isn’t even counting the fact that it loses to other Bulu sets such as Choice Band. Volcanion will also lose to Tapu Koko and Mega Diancie 100% of the time, further limiting it in the Fairy matchup.

Venusaur getting two hit koed by fire blast, or taking up to 90% from Z fire blast on offensive defogging sets, and toxapex getting two hit koed by both variants especially if its burned previously.
The Poison matchup is Volcanion’s best, but it’s not even good here. Once again, you are inviting common offensive Pokemon like Nidoking and Nihilego to simply come in and OHKO Volcanion while threatening any potential switch-in. Even a Pokemon like Sharpedo is a better Pokemon in the Poison matchup as it doesn’t fear getting revenge killed by just about any offensive Pokemon with the power to KO it. Even as a Choice Specs wallbreaker, Volcanion is simply outclassed.

Primarina is a much better wallbreaker than Volcanion. It actually threatens the exact same things that Volcanion does, except it’s a lot more. It does not have a Stealth Rock weakness and thus can come in more than 1 or 2 times each game and dent something. Unlike Volcanion, Primarina can dent Pokemon like Swampert, Gastrodon, and just about any Dragon-type which resists Volcanion’s STAB combination. While Volcanion has to make some mind games between Earth Power and Fire Blast in order to successfully break Poison’s core, all Primarina has to do is spam Psychic and only really have to worry about Alolan Muk (which Water has plenty of answers to anyway). Primarina can even recreate Fire coverage by running Hidden Power Fire in order to check Pokemon like Ferrothorn, further making Volcanion a very unnecessary slot on Water teams.

Overall, Volcanion’s niche is so small and borderline nonexistent that it should definitely stay D-ranked.

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
I wouldn't mind seeing volc snag a c rank though. I look at the current B rank mons and don't think it's quite up to par with them, but i see it fitting right in with a lot of the mons in c rank seeing said mons viability in the current meta. I think it's pretty far fetched to put a mon like primarina on such a higher pedestal than volcanion. They both offer very uniqe secondary typings to a water team and are niche wall breakers that can pick apart certain types when well played. I see them on a pretty similar level, maybe even edging volc slightly but not by very much at all mainly due to an annoying weakness to SR. Volc is marginably better in a poison matchup than prima. Clicking psychic isn't a very good game plan as letting muk click knock off whenever it wants isn't ideal and water teams don't like their backbone losing items for no reason. I don't see where volc needs to predict either. ur always clicking e power vs pex and ur always clicking ur stabs vs everything else. There isn't much need to make any plays there as u can keep a lot of pressure vs poi by just attacking whats in front of you.

I'm not quite ready for B yet, but i think this mon does not deserve to be with what is in D rank right now and would like to see a rise to C because I do feel it brings a nice niche as a wall breaker to water teams.

I think that Espeon would fit nicely in C for Psychic.
It has some niche uses as a support, and the magic bounce ability works really well with it.
All in all, I really think that Espeon would fit in C.

Alright, this is my first suggestion, so sorry if I'm not doing this right.

Audino-Mega (Normal): D --> Unranked

Mega Audino should not even be listed. By using it, you're foregoing using Mega Lopunny or even Mega Pidgeot, both of which are fast and strong. Mega Audino loses its more useful ability in the form of Regenerator when it Mega evolves, is reliant on Wish instead of for recovery, and would not be useful in any matchups that other Pokemon don't do better. Normal already has an advantage over Dragon, Mega Lopunny is a better Mega for handling Dark, and if you really need an answer to Fighting, go with Mega Pidgeot or even Meloetta.

Sure, Mega Audino is bulky, but so is the Eviolite duo, which is already mandatory on Normal. I suppose that it's less vulnerable to Knock Off and can weather either type of hit, but that's all it has going for it and isn't worth its massive opportunity cost.

Some calcs for neutral hits, for the sake of showing that the Eviolite duo has better bulk:

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Audino-Mega: 154-183 (37.5 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 127-150 (33.9 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Audino-Mega: 220-259 (53.6 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 169-201 (24 - 28.5%) -- 97.5% chance to 4HKO

Also, it's utterly walled by anything that resists Dazzling Gleam (it doesn't even get Moonblast) such as Celesteela, or anything on Steel, really - and by using Mega Audino, you're missing out on Mega Lopunny, which means you're entirely reliant on Diggersby to break through Steel. The only niche I can see Mega Audino being useful for is for surviving STAB fighting-type attacks - for example, it can survive a +2 Mega Gallade Close Combat and do a decent chunk of damage in return before dying to the next hit:

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Audino-Mega: 297-349 (72.4 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
48 SpA Audino-Mega Dazzling Gleam vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Gallade-Mega: 204-240 (73.6 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But if you're so afraid of Fighting types, why not just use Mega Pidgeot, which can outspeed and OHKO most, if not all non-Scarfed Fighting types with Hurricane instead?

252 SpA Pidgeot-Mega Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gallade-Mega: 330-390 (119.1 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

tl;dr: Mega Audino should be Unranked because it's not worth using up your Mega slot, and anything it can do, the Eviolite duo or Mega Pidgeot does better.

edit: replaced ash-greninja calc with keldeo, forgot ash-greninja was banned in monotype

Last edited:
Alright, this is my first suggestion, so sorry if I'm not doing this right.

Audino-Mega (Normal): D --> Unranked

Mega Audino should not even be listed. By using it, you're foregoing using Mega Lopunny or even Mega Pidgeot, both of which are fast and strong. Mega Audino loses its more useful ability in the form of Regenerator when it Mega evolves, is reliant on Wish instead of for recovery, and would not be useful in any matchups that other Pokemon don't do better. Normal already has an advantage over Dragon, Mega Lopunny is a better Mega for handling Dark, and if you really need an answer to Fighting, go with Mega Pidgeot or even Meloetta.

Sure, Mega Audino is bulky, but so is the Eviolite duo, which is already mandatory on Normal. I suppose that it's less vulnerable to Knock Off and can weather either type of hit, but that's all it has going for it and isn't worth its massive opportunity cost.

Some calcs for neutral hits, for the sake of showing that the Eviolite duo has better bulk:

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Audino-Mega: 154-183 (37.5 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 127-150 (33.9 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Audino-Mega: 249-294 (60.7 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 193-228 (27.4 - 32.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Also, it's utterly walled by anything that resists Dazzling Gleam (it doesn't even get Moonblast) such as Celesteela, or anything on Steel, really - and by using Mega Audino, you're missing out on Mega Lopunny, which means you're entirely reliant on Diggersby to break through Steel. The only niche I can see Mega Audino being useful for is for surviving STAB fighting-type attacks - for example, it can survive a +2 Mega Gallade Close Combat and do a decent chunk of damage in return before dying to the next hit:

+2 252 Atk Gallade-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Audino-Mega: 297-349 (72.4 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
48 SpA Audino-Mega Dazzling Gleam vs. -1 0 HP / 0 SpD Gallade-Mega: 204-240 (73.6 - 86.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

But if you're so afraid of Fighting types, why not just use Mega Pidgeot, which can outspeed and OHKO most, if not all non-Scarfed Fighting types with Hurricane instead?

252 SpA Pidgeot-Mega Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gallade-Mega: 330-390 (119.1 - 140.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

tl;dr: Mega Audino should be Unranked because it's not worth using up your Mega slot, and anything it can do, the Eviolite duo or Mega Pidgeot does better.
Hi, welcome to Monotype! For a first suggestion, you did everything right I think. Your analysis makes sense and you even included calcs. Way better than my suggestion (which I doubt anyone ever saw; it's a few pages back or something).

Just saying that Ash-Greninja is banned from Monotype so that calc is largely irrelevant; while I do get the point of just showing off how bulky Chansey is compared to Mega Audino, something else like a +2 Hoopa Psychic or Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump would've been better.

Also, Mega Audino likely has a rank just because it has a notable niche but is generally not worth using outside of highly specialized teams. That's why it's D-rank. Comparable to mons like Shedinja on Ghost, Goodra on Dragon and other D-ranks, it can work, but is generally not worth using due to either the ridiculous amount of support required or the zumongous opportunity cost, or when it faces just too much competition from other mons.

However, it won't surprise me if Mega Audi would actually become unranked--it's arguably the worst out of Normal's D-ranks. (Heliolisk actually checks some dangerous mons and Blissey can be used as a backup for when Chansey loses its Eviolite or faints).

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Latios: A -> S (Dragon)

Definitely something that has been overlooked and well overdue. The inital reason for the drop was a result of Naganadel, where at the time invalidated Latios' main functions as a special wallbreaker and Dragons' main form of speed control after one kill, except on an elevated level with Nasty Plot causing very uncompetitive matchups. Now that it is gone, Latios reclaims both of those roles for Dragon and still continues to be a valuable asset for not only being both a wallbreaker and speed controller, but is also a reliable defogger and Trick user that cripples defensively oriented cores such as Chansey/P2. Without a shadow of a doubt, Latios should return to S rank.

Mamoswine: B -> A (Ground)

It's a shocker that this mon isn't in this rank to begin with. Having a virtually unresisted type combination that is walled by only one common mon (Rotom-Wash) makes Mamoswine a powerfull wallbreaker. Coupled with a Choice Band and access to any combination of EQ, Icicle Crash, Knock, Superpower with priority in Ice Shard makes it a potent threat that forces many offensive presences to switch out on sight. It also is a key factor in certain match-ups where Ground would normally struggle, or suffer more without it, such as Flying (w/ or w/o Gravity Landorus). There's more that can be said, but Mamoswine on Ground is very difficult to pass up when teambuilding due to what it can provide, and therefore should become A rank.

Last edited:
View attachment 103387
Gigalith (Rock): Unranked ---> D

I've been using Gigalith as a secondary Sand Streamer on my team, and I think that it deserves to be listed due to having a useful niche if you want to have a more defensive Rock team with another way to set up sandstorm, giving a large advantage in weather wars. You can use it to set up sandstorm without having to sacrificing Tyranitar a single fighting attack. It also has good bulk, and useful attacking moves like Superpower, Earthquake, and Explosion that can provide valuable coverage for rock teams.

My Set
Gigalith @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Superpower

Other Options: Leftovers, Heavy Slam, Stealth Rock
Gigalith definitely doesn't deserve to rise. Tyranitar is pretty much better than it in every way. You said that it has a niche on more defensive Rock teams, but Tyranitar can very easily run an Assault Vest set with even better coverage, as seen here:

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast

With Stone Edge+Ice Beam+Fire Blast, it becomes a much better asset against some Pokemon that can be annoying for more defensive Rock teams like Gliscor, as well as certain types like Grass and Ground. SS Water isn't really that prevalent in the current metagame, and even then, more defensive Rock teams have Cradily as an answer to a good amount of Pokemon on SS Water, and even Tyranitar can use Pursuit to wear down Kingdra to within Scarf Terrakion range. So I don't really see how Gigalith is going to be that influential in that matchup. Not suffering the same 4x Fighting weakness isn't enough to justify Gigalith, especially since it'll be dying to the same Fighting types that blow back Tyranitar. Terrakion offers all the same coverage you mentioned outside of Explosion, which won't be very helpful when your Gigalith set doesn't have any offensive investment to break past any defensive Pokemon. Gigalith pretty much has no purpose on Rock that can't be filled by another better Pokemon, which is why it should stay unranked.

I would like to nom Mega Aerodactyl to A on flying. reason for the nom is because how much it helps flying against in some MU that Charizard Y doesn't help with for example the match up against Tapu Koko forces you to run other options like choice Pokemon which get locked in moves and can be played around. Mega Aerodactyl gives freedom to use other moves so you aren't playing a prediction game. Other reasons to use Mega Aerodactyl is pursuit; pursuit helps traps Victini,Alakazam, and any other weaken threats which means that physical set up Pokemon can set up safely when sash Alakazam is broken . Mega Aerodactyl also has Stealth Rocks which lets it set up rocks and open up a slot in flying, also flying still can beat steel because has options like Celesteela+Gliscor+Zapdos. Mega Aerodactyl even shown itself pop up in the tour scene and has shown great success.

Mega Aerodactyl most used set

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

Here are some replays to prove my point

Flying vs. Electric
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-720441899
Flying vs. Steel
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-720454678
Flying vs. Flying
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-717660395

Last edited:

Nominating Roserade (Unranked > C) for Grass!

(Excuse me for my English, it's not my first language)
(First ever post, so fingers crossed :blobuwu:)
Reason:

Roserade feels like an overlooked mon when you look at Monotype. Roserade's decent speed, high special attack stat and 2 great abilities in natural cure and technician, can make roserade a viable late game cleaner. It also is a viable player when grass faces poison and fire, because of its access to extrasensory and 90bp hidden power rock. Because most of grass's weaknesses are weak to stealth rocks, Roserade can become an amazing cleaner with rocks support from cradily for example. Below are some calculations that show that roserade can be a real threat for opposing poison, flying, ice, bug and fire types:
(keep in mind that roserade is used with a Modest set with maxed EVs in speed and special attack + choice scarf)

252+ SpA Technician Roserade Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-Y: 372-440 (125.2 - 148.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Technician Roserade Hidden Power Rock vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Torkoal: 280-330 (81.3 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Technician Roserade Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 210-248 (61.5 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock (guaranteed 1HKO as a revenge killer after a V-Create)
252+ SpA Roserade Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 288-339 (95 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Roserade Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 138-164 (45.3 - 53.9%) -- 100% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Technician Roserade Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kyurem-Black: 256-302 (65.4 - 77.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ninetales-Alola: 314-372 (109.4 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Technician Roserade Hidden Power Rock vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Armaldo: 252-298 (71.1 - 84.1%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Lots of calculations, but I think I made my point clear.
I want roserade to be in C (or maybe B, depends on the councils opinion) because I feel like it needs support to be a strong late game cleaner.

Edit: I also want to add that it competes with serperior for the sweeper spot, but because of the higher special attack stat, technician and better matchup vs poison and bug, I think it deserves the spot in the viability rankings

Last edited:
A Choice Scarf set should definitely use a Timid nature and not a Modest one, as Roserade’s Speed is already quite average and it needs the speed it can get.
First of all, i agree with everything u stated except the above.
Looking at the speed tier list, a modest Roserade is in my opinion the better pick. Timid roserade doesnt really outspeed anything that can be a threat to something grass can't handle without it (scarf togekiss = cradily, mega beedrill = ferrothorn, Altaria mega +1 = venu-mega, +1 gyarados = ferrothorn etc.). And besides that, you make roserade a bit weaker on the offensive side, which makes the calcs that i provided kindof old news.
But I agree, C is a bit too high, but i really wanted roserade to be at least ranked on the list, because it can be a strong pokemon in the late game.

Rei

formerly Scholar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've been saying I do this for awhile to my mono friends, and here it is
Haxorus Unranked -----> D

I got bored one day and looked though the Dragon Pokemon on the Teambuilder and saw this hidden gem, Haxorus. I looked at its base power and its ok bulk (76HP/90 Def/ and 70 SpD) and saw untapped potential that I have not seen this gen at all, even before Kommo-o had its Z. These are two sets that I switch around using.
First:
Haxorus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Superpower / Earthquake
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

This is the set I had most success with. After Klefki and Azumarill is gone Haxorus is free to set up and sweep since sash allows it to take a Fairy hit and throw back after Dragon Dancing with Earthquake or Poison Jab. Even without set up its sash allows it to take a hit from Tapu Koko and hit back and killing Koko with Earthquake. Here's some calcs to show what Haxorus does to Fairy as a whole.
Unboosted:
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 300-354 (106.7 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 242-286 (98.7 - 116.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 254-300 (74.4 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 298-352 (107.1 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Boosted:
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 380-448 (111.4 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 276-326 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 328-388 (87.9 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 328-388 (105.4 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Scarf)
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Fini: 280-330 (81.3 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dragon v Fairy
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-721420095 - Current Mono Seasonal R1

Even outside of Fairy it can function as a set up sweeper and unexpectly live a hit thanks to its Focus Sash and set up and hit hard. Haxorus's 147 base Attack stat is nothing to laugh at.
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 280-330 (92.1 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 252-298 (62.3 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 258-304 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 387-456 (121.3 - 142.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 228-268 (62.6 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 316-373 (105.6 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 211-249 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 327-385 (104.1 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 273-322 (67.5 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (logically if its this pert set they are going to Roar before getting a second DD)

Other Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-718935325 - Dragon v Flying
Will get more since I don't save replays when I ladder anymore.

Second:
Haxorus @ Dragonium Z
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

The z serves as a one time nuke to a wall or a big threat. You can run jolly to outpace pZ after it zs and kill it with Haxorus's Dragonium. This is important as it can break p2, Toxapex, and other annoying walls. Keep in mind these are general.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 271-320 (68 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 298-352 (98 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 288-340 (77 - 90.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 742-874 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 256-303 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Zapdos: 420-495 (109.3 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 345-406 (90 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (I used the ou rock settler for this calc, I edit this to the Dark set when I get home)
252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 304-358 (97.7 - 115.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (this is the only jolly calc here, so it outpaces before the z so I need to fix this as well.)

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-721351676 - heres wincon using z in action
Will add more when I actually ladder

I hope you enjoy the read and see how Haxorus is a hidden gem on Dragon. While it is outclassed by Kommo-o its still a pretty cool Pokemon and it puts a lot of work in for dragon, truly an underrated Pokemon that should be used more.

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I disagree with the nomination to C rank. D rank is fine I guess but Haxorus shouldn't be ranked C and I will state reasons why I think that.
Let's take a look at the other Pokemon on C rank which are Dragalge, Mega Garchomp and Salamence. Dragalge provides toxic spikes support and fairy neutrality and poison stab and so it has a niche. Mega Garchomp has the ability to run Mixed sets to wallbreak and has good overall bulk but lower speed than its regular form. Salamence on the other hand has a strong offensive typing and Intimidate as ability allowing it to use DD with Z moves. My point is all the 3 C rank Pokemon have niches. Haxorus has no such differentiable niche like them. It runs Dd set but there are better DD users on Dragon such as Mega Altaria, Dragonite and Salamence. Magma used a focus sash set which is good vs offense but it just makes more burden on Latios as the team has SR weak Pokemon such as Dragonite and kyurem-Black. Not to mention that the Latios is choiced. Regarding Z move sets with Haxorus, again it is just using a Z move as a nuke, offering no different niche while there are better Z move users that make certain match ups a lot easier such as Kommo-o for steel and Normal. I'll just conclude with saying that I believe Haxorus holds no differentiable Niche over other C rank Pokemon and so shouldn't be ranked C. D rank may be fine for it.
Ps: Made post on mobile so sorry for no formatting.

Last edited:
I've been saying I do this for awhile to my mono friends, and here it is
Haxorus Unranked -----> D (C at the highest)

I got bored one day and looked though the Dragon Pokemon on the Teambuilder and saw this hidden gem, Haxorus. I looked at its base power and its ok bulk (76HP/90 Def/ and 70 SpD) and saw untapped potential that I have not seen this gen at all, even before Kommo-o had its Z. These are two sets that I switch around using.
First:
Haxorus @ Focus Sash
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

This is the set I had most success with. After Klefki and Azumarill is gone Haxorus is free to set up and sweep since sash allows it to take a Fairy hit and throw back after Dragon Dancing with Earthquake or Poison Jab. Even without set up its sash allows it to take a hit from Tapu Koko and hit back and killing Koko with Earthquake. Here's some calcs to show what Haxorus does to Fairy as a whole.
Unboosted:
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 300-354 (106.7 - 125.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 16 HP / 0 Def Diancie-Mega: 242-286 (98.7 - 116.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 254-300 (74.4 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir: 298-352 (107.1 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Boosted:
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 380-448 (111.4 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 276-326 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 328-388 (87.9 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Togekiss: 328-388 (105.4 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Scarf)
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Fini: 280-330 (81.3 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dragon v Fairy
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-721420095 - Current Mono Seasonal R1

Even outside of Fairy it can function as a set up sweeper and unexpectly live a hit thanks to its Focus Sash and set up and hit hard. Haxorus's 147 base Attack stat is nothing to laugh at.
+2 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 280-330 (92.1 - 108.5%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Azumarill: 252-298 (62.3 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-Therian: 258-304 (80.8 - 95.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus: 387-456 (121.3 - 142.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Venusaur-Mega: 228-268 (62.6 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus: 316-373 (105.6 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 211-249 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 327-385 (104.1 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 273-322 (67.5 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (logically if its this pert set they are going to Roar before getting a second DD)

Other Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-718935325 - Dragon v Flying
Will get more since I don't save replays when I ladder anymore.

Second:
Haxorus @ Dragonium Z
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Poison Jab

The z serves as a one time nuke to a wall or a big threat. You can run jolly to outpace pZ after it zs and kill it with Haxorus's Dragonium. This is important as it can break p2, Toxapex, and other annoying walls.

+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Celesteela: 271-320 (68 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 298-352 (98 - 115.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Porygon2: 288-340 (77 - 90.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 742-874 (105.5 - 124.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 256-303 (84.2 - 99.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 16 Def Zapdos: 420-495 (109.3 - 128.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 168 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 345-406 (90 - 106%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mold Breaker Haxorus Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. +1 0 HP / 0 Def Porygon-Z: 304-358 (97.7 - 115.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-721351676 - heres wincon using z in action
Will add more when I actually ladder

I hope you enjoy the read and see how Haxorus is a hidden gem on Dragon. While it is outclassed by Kommo-o its still a pretty cool Pokemon and it puts a lot of work in for dragon, truly an underrated Pokemon that should be used more.
Yeah I don't think Haxorus should rise. You seem to be overrating its usefulness against Fairy. The only Pokemon it finds a safe setup opportunity against is Tapu Bulu, which won't be coming out too often against Dragon anyway because of how little it offers in that matchup. Even with the wall of calcs you gave for Fairy, Clefable is still living a +1 Poison Jab from full health and can take out Haxorus with a Moonblast. And in the replay you provided, all Haxorus did was 2HKO a Togekiss before predictably being forced out by Klefki, never being sent out again and leaving the rest of the match to its far superior teammates. This doesn't prove to anyone Haxorus's supposed "usefulness" against Fairy, and I also don't think it's a good argument to justify its viability, especially when Dragon's opportunities to remove hazards and keep Haxorus's Focus Sash intact are very slim.

In the Flying replay, just like the Fairy one, its only purpose was 2HKOing a Togekiss and offering nothing else. I'm beginning to think that maybe Haxorus isn't as good as you make it out to be, judging by the replays provided. It's also worth pointing out how that set still gets walled to hell and back by Skarmory, and still gets revenge killed by Flying's Choice Scarf mons like Landorus-T and Thundurus-T after prior chip damage, which honestly isn't hard for Flying to get against Haxorus.

As for Normal, sure it can break past the defensive core, but Kommo-o can do the exact same thing. Just because you admit that Kommo-o outclasses it, it doesn't mean Haxorus can offer anything unique to it. What unique quality is Haxorus offering to the Normal matchup that Kommo-o doesn't offer 1000x better? Kommo-o has the Fighting STAB, access to Clangorous Soulblaze, and is harder for Ditto to revenge kill than Haxorus. Even in the Normal replay you provided, all it could do was get severely chipped by Mega Pidgeot only to get picked off by Raptor's Rocky Helmet. Just saying, if you're gonna claim a Pokemon can do something, the replays you provide should reflect that.

Harp already pointed out the reasons the C rank mons on Dragon have more value than Haxorus, but I'd go further and say that it isn't even good enough for D rank. Goodra at the very least can absorb a good number of special hits while also slowing down threats like Mega Altaria to make it easier for a teammate to revenge kill it. Overall, Haxorus offers nothing substantial for Dragon teams, which is why I think it should stay unranked.

(also some of your calcs are a bit off, like the one against Porygon-Z. It's funny cuz Porygon-Z OHKOs Haxorus with a +1 Adaptability Shadow Ball before it can do anything. There's also the Tyranitar one, which never runs 168 HP, and if you use up the Z-move against the Tyranitar, you can't break past Mandibuzz)

Last edited:
1522260442663.jpg

Nomination: D
Type: Ghost
Main Use: Trapper, defensive backbone

Set:
Spiritomb (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 12 Def / 152 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Rock Tomb
- Foul Play
- Pursuit

Explanation:
- trap annoying Pokémon (Pkm) such as Gengar, Latios, and Blacephalon without sacking one of your own ghost Pokémon to gain momentum. As these Pkm are pretty notorious for carring a Choice Item (in my experiences, it's often a Choice Scarf), using your own Scarf Gengar is a very unreliable way to check them. While you could use Mega Sableye to check them, it gets weared down very quickly, especially if you are dealing with moves boosted by Choice Spec. And with Stealth Rock already on the field, you can say good bye to Sableye. But not only that, your opponent can simply switch out their Pkm and pressure you with another one while preserving their Revenger for later. Therefore, using Spiritomb will remove or, in Latios' case, heavily weaken your threats, and allows you to easily pressure your opponent with your own Revenger and/or Wall Breaker.
- to fulfill its role effectively, Assault Vest allows Spiritomb to eat some Shadow Ball from Scarf Gengar and Blacephalon with this EV spread. Shadow Ball is only a 4HKO after Stealth Rock. A spec set makes it a 3HKO after Stealth Rock.
- 64 EVs into Atk has a 93.8 to OHKO Gengar if your opponent switches it out. And it will always OHKO Blacephalon if it flees from the battle. 96 Atk, on the other hand, has a high chance to remove Pkm such as Mega Charizard Y, Volcarona, or Excadrill with Rock Tomb + Shadow Sneak for the two former and Foul Play + Shadow Sneak for the latter. Aside from that, Spiritomb can survive two Flamethrower from Mega Charizard Y under sun and one Earth Quake from an adamant Choice Band Excadrill. Getting rid off Stealth Rock or Spikes is very important here if you want Spiritomb to survive strong attacks!
- the downside of using Spiritomb is that it can't do anything to very bulky Pkm such as Chansey, Spiritomb, Porygon2, Toxapex, Cradily, etc. Because of that, your opponent can easily take advantage of this situation. They could spread status, set up entry hazards, etc. Though, Spiritomb's niche, however small it may be, might be enough to consider a nomination for a D rank. It can easily remove or weaken certain threats to your team. To give an example, Mega Aerodactyl fears Will-o-Wisp and Victini does not like Foul Play at all, especially after using V-Create. So, your opponent will most likely switch them out. And this is where you can weaken them with Pursuit, which makes it easier for you to remove them later with the help of its team mates, such as Scarf Gengar and Mimikyu with Shadow Sneak. As for Rock Tomb, this move gives you speed control if your opponent thinks they could set up on it with moves such as Dragon Dance and Quiver Dance, or gain speed with Speed Boost or Swift Swim. So whatever Pkm you send in after Spiritomb has been taken down can easily take advantage of it.

Replays demonstrating Spiritomb's effectiveness:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-712091629
Flying, weakening Mega Aerodactyl allows Gengar to comfortably remove it with Shadow Ball later.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-712727133
Ghost, trapping Gengar.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-724417201
Psychic, weakening Latios.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-712530731
Dragon, weakening Latios, threatening Dragon Dance Salamence.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-712114211
Ground, weakening Excadrill and Landarous.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi, Im here to nominate Aurorus (Unranked -----> D) (Rock)

Aurorus gives offensive pressure to some of rocks more difficult Matchups, and with scarf can outspeed base 110 mons with decent coverage options and STAB Blizzard/Freeze Dry (freeze dry, blizzard, tbolt, ep/flash cannon) and also sets up hail for minor chip damage against annoying threats like breloom, while more importantly disrupting weather heavy teams (primarily SS water and ground). Though its not even close to a mandatory mon on rock, it has usability and can help with many different matchups.

Ground:
252 SpA Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 324-384 (78.2 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252 SpA Aurorus Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 390-458 (92.8 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Water:
252 SpA Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Mantine: 256-304 (68.4 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
(252 SpA Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 216-256 (57.7 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery)
252 SpA Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Swampert-Mega: 348-412 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Grass:
252 SpA Aurorus Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Bulu: 308-366 (109.6 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (After knock off on the scarf or webs)
252 SpA Aurorus Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 128-152 (35.2 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage (This is here as hail weakens synthesis for venu and even if you have to trade aurorus for it, you now have a severely weakened m-venu easily in KO range of other threats within your team. giga drain: 53.2 - 63.5% (28.3 - 33.8% recovered))

Fairy:
252 SpA Aurorus Flash Cannon vs. 16 HP / 0- SpD Diancie-Mega: 296-352 (120.8 - 143.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (beating its 350 speed with 354 itself thanks to scarf)
252 SpA Aurorus Earth Power vs. 16 HP / 0- SpD Diancie: 128-152 (52.2 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and hail damage
(0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurorus: 284-336 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)
252 SpA Aurorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 206-244 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
Bulu already mentioned

Steel:
252 SpA Aurorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 232-274 (64.2 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO hail damage (removal of scarf needed/webs needed)
252 SpA Aurorus Thunderbolt vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 210-248 (64.2 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Aurorus Blizzard vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 192-226 (58.7 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

Hi, Im here to nominate Aurorus (Unranked -----> D) (Rock)

Aurorus gives offensive pressure to some of rocks more difficult Matchups, and with scarf can outspeed base 110 mons with decent coverage options and STAB Blizzard/Freeze Dry (freeze dry, blizzard, tbolt, ep/flash cannon) and also sets up hail for minor chip damage against annoying threats like breloom, while more importantly disrupting weather heavy teams (primarily SS water and ground). Though its not even close to a mandatory mon on rock, it has usability and can help with many different matchups.

Ground:
252 SpA Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 324-384 (78.2 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252 SpA Aurorus Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 390-458 (92.8 - 109%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Water:
252 SpA Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 16+ SpD Mantine: 256-304 (68.4 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
(252 SpA Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 216-256 (57.7 - 68.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery)
252 SpA Aurorus Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Swampert-Mega: 348-412 (102 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Grass:
252 SpA Aurorus Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Bulu: 308-366 (109.6 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO (After knock off on the scarf or webs)
252 SpA Aurorus Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Thick Fat Venusaur-Mega: 128-152 (35.2 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after hail damage (This is here as hail weakens synthesis for venu and even if you have to trade aurorus for it, you now have a severely weakened m-venu easily in KO range of other threats within your team. giga drain: 53.2 - 63.5% (28.3 - 33.8% recovered))

Fairy:
252 SpA Aurorus Flash Cannon vs. 16 HP / 0- SpD Diancie-Mega: 296-352 (120.8 - 143.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO (beating its 350 speed with 354 itself thanks to scarf)
252 SpA Aurorus Earth Power vs. 16 HP / 0- SpD Diancie: 128-152 (52.2 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and hail damage
(0 Atk Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Aurorus: 284-336 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)
252 SpA Aurorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 206-244 (73.3 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
Bulu already mentioned

Steel:
252 SpA Aurorus Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 232-274 (64.2 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO hail damage (removal of scarf needed/webs needed)
252 SpA Aurorus Thunderbolt vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 210-248 (64.2 - 75.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Aurorus Blizzard vs. 224 HP / 32 SpD Skarmory: 192-226 (58.7 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
Yeah I have to disagree with this. Aurorus's only purpose is against SS Water with its Choice Scarf set, since it'll be able to immediately revenge kill Mega Swampert and Kingdra. Outside of that, Ground's defensive core is handled by Nihilego with Life Orb and Grass Knot+Hidden Power Ice, as well as Cradily, which very easily switches into both Hippo and Seismitoad. The same applies to Water's defensive core, being destroyed by Nihilego with a Life Orb Thunderbolt+Grass Knot. It isn't gonna be that beneficial with Grass so long as Ferrothorn is still in the back, waiting to switch into a Blizzard. You could run something like Hidden Power Fire, but at that point why not fall back on Tyranitar+Alolan Golem to break the defensive core, since Tyranitar's sand also weakens Mega Venusaur's Synthesis, and it's doing more damage with a Choice Band Stone Edge. Rock already has Choice Scarf Terrakion as a revenge killer against Mega Diancie and Tapu Koko, so it's not like Aurorus offers anything unique there. And for Steel, similarly to Grass, if it isn't carrying Hidden Power Fire, it does nothing to Ferrothorn. And again, at that point, why not just stick to Terrakion+Alolan Golem to break past Steel instead? Especially when they do it way more consistently.

Overall, Aurorus's sole purpose lies in cteaming SS Water, which would still be a very possible matchup without Aurorus thanks to Cradily+Tyranitar. Because of this, Aurorus is better off staying unranked.

Yeah I have to disagree with this. Aurorus's only purpose is against SS Water with its Choice Scarf set, since it'll be able to immediately revenge kill Mega Swampert and Kingdra. Outside of that, Ground's defensive core is handled by Nihilego with Life Orb and Grass Knot+Hidden Power Ice, as well as Cradily, which very easily switches into both Hippo and Seismitoad. The same applies to Water's defensive core, being destroyed by Nihilego with a Life Orb Thunderbolt+Grass Knot. It isn't gonna be that beneficial with Grass so long as Ferrothorn is still in the back, waiting to switch into a Blizzard. You could run something like Hidden Power Fire, but at that point why not fall back on Tyranitar+Alolan Golem to break the defensive core, since Tyranitar's sand also weakens Mega Venusaur's Synthesis, and it's doing more damage with a Choice Band Stone Edge. Rock already has Choice Scarf Terrakion as a revenge killer against Mega Diancie and Tapu Koko, so it's not like Aurorus offers anything unique there. And for Steel, similarly to Grass, if it isn't carrying Hidden Power Fire, it does nothing to Ferrothorn. And again, at that point, why not just stick to Terrakion+Alolan Golem to break past Steel instead? Especially when they do it way more consistently.

Overall, Aurorus's sole purpose lies in cteaming SS Water, which would still be a very possible matchup without Aurorus thanks to Cradily+Tyranitar. Because of this, Aurorus is better off staying unranked.
As to where i agree with what youre saying smub, This is why i recommended it as a D rank pick. It is by no means something that should automatically be picked up or replacing something that sits in B-S tier. D tier is something that is usable, but absolutely not recommended as it requires too much setup/outplay potential to succeed on its own (or even with help). Is aurorus usable? Yes. Is it rocks most valuable asset? Absolutely not. that's why i recommended it where i did.

Looking at the current D tier rock mons they are as follows: Diancie (non-mega of course), Lycanroc-Dusk and Minior. All 3 of these mons are outclassed by certain mons above (Terrak for Lycanroc, Omastar for Minior and Shuckle for Diancie) it but are usable given you want to put in the effort to work around them. As you already stated, Aurorus is outclassed by a mon above it, being nihilego and i fully agree.

TLDR: Aurorus fits what it means to be D tier in every sense, and does that well for what its worth, and I agree with smub's assessment of aurorus aside from keeping it unranked.

Last edited:
As to where i agree with what youre saying smub, This is why i recommended it as a D rank pick. It is by no means something that should automatically be picked up or replacing something that sits in B-S tier. D tier is something that is usable, but absolutely not recommended as it requires too much setup/outplay potential to succeed on its own (or even with help). Is aurorus usable? Yes. Is it rocks most valuable asset? Absolutely not. that's why i recommended it where i did.

Looking at the current D tier rock mons they are as follows: Diancie (non-mega of course), Lycanroc-Dusk and Minior. All 3 of these mons are outclassed by certain mons above (Terrak for Lycanroc, Omastar for Minior and Shuckle for Diancie) it but are usable given you want to put in the effort to work around them. As you already stated, Aurorus is outclassed by a mon above it, being nihilego and i fully agree.

TLDR: Aurorus fits what it means to be D tier in every sense, and does that well for what its worth, and I agree with smub's assessment of aurorus aside from keeping it unranked.
I think it's worth mentioning that replacing sandstorm with hail is a very bad thing for rock teams, since they rely on that to take special hits, and the hail will chip away at the rest of the team. I think there is a difference between a mon being usable, and being worth using over other mons. The other D tiers for rock have much more unique niches, with Lycanroc-D being Rock's only good priority attacker, Diancie giving fairy coverage and being a potential trick room abuser while opening the slot for another mega, and Minior being a potential shell smash sweeper with flying stabs. Aurorus doesn't seem to offer much except for Ice-type stabs compared to other scarfers and fast mons like Nihelgo and Terakkion, which can carry electric and steel coverage respectively. There might be a case for it, but it's typing gives no defensive utility and setting hail just for Blizzard spam is very detrimental to the rest of the team imo. I feel like it could help in some matchups , but it hinders in others like Steel, Normal, and Fighting.

Last edited:
I would like to recommend kingdra for nomination on the dragon type list. Kingdras duel dragon water type is unique in that it gets rid of its ice type weakness without introducing any new weaknesses. Kingdra also comes with the ability swift swim which can pair well with goodras ability hydration. Just set up rain dance with goodra and then switch to kingdra to sweep with hydro pump or surf. Kingdra can also learn flash cannon for a super effective move against its one weakness -fairy.
For these reasons I think kingdra should be in the c rank of the dragon list as it shares many similarities of good typing to dragalge, who is in the c rank.

Here are a couple sample builds that I have used
Kingdra: rain sweeper
Ability: swift swim
Item: steelium z
Moves:
-hydro pump/surf
-dragon pulse/draco meteor
-flash cannon
-Signal beam/ice beam
Build: speed and special attack
Strat: set up rain dance with goodra or another poke then send out kingdra to outspeed and do a lot of damage

Kingdra: load and shoot
Ability: sniper
Item: life orb/leftovers
Moves:
-laser focus
-surf
-dragon pulse
-flash cannon
Build: health and special attack
Strat: use laser focus on turn one and tank a hit then one shot the other poke with a double damage gaurenteed stab attack.

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I would like to recommend kingdra for nomination on the dragon type list. Kingdras duel dragon water type is unique in that it gets rid of its ice type weakness without introducing any new weaknesses. Kingdra also comes with the ability swift swim which can pair well with goodras ability hydration. Just set up rain dance with goodra and then switch to kingdra to sweep with hydro pump or surf. Kingdra can also learn flash cannon for a super effective move against its one weakness -fairy.
For these reasons I think kingdra should be in the c rank of the dragon list as it shares many similarities of good typing to dragalge, who is in the c rank.

Here are a couple sample builds that I have used
Kingdra: rain sweeper
Ability: swift swim
Item: steelium z
Moves:
-hydro pump/surf
-dragon pulse/draco meteor
-flash cannon
-Signal beam/ice beam
Build: speed and special attack
Strat: set up rain dance with goodra or another poke then send out kingdra to outspeed and do a lot of damage

Kingdra: load and shoot
Ability: sniper
Item: life orb/leftovers
Moves:
-laser focus
-surf
-dragon pulse
-flash cannon
Build: health and special attack
Strat: use laser focus on turn one and tank a hit then one shot the other poke with a double damage gaurenteed stab attack.
Sorry, I'd have to disagree with this nomination respectfully. Kingdra is a very niche mon that requires setup on Dragon teams, a typing that generally doesn't need setup due to its sheer wallbreaking power to begin with, considering mons like Choice Band Dragonite and Life Orb Kyurem-Black. Both of the sets that you listed, sorry to say, are never used and don't have any merit in contributing to Dragon's success, especially in less than favorable matchups such as fairy. Rain Dance Goodra being paired with Kingdra isn't a combination anyone uses, and if anyone were to use Goodra at all, it would be for its Assault Vest + 4 attacks set. Not to say that those sets wouldn't be of any use, but it pales in comparison to many other of Dragon's powerful wallbreakers that don't require such as complex setup tools, and believe it should stay unranked.

Sorry, I'd have to disagree with this nomination respectfully. Kingdra is a very niche mon that requires setup on Dragon teams, a typing that generally doesn't need setup due to its sheer wallbreaking power to begin with, considering mons like Choice Band Dragonite and Life Orb Kyurem-Black. Both of the sets that you listed, sorry to say, are never used and don't have any merit in contributing to Dragon's success, especially in less than favorable matchups such as fairy. Rain Dance Goodra being paired with Kingdra isn't a combination anyone uses, and if anyone were to use Goodra at all, it would be for its Assault Vest + 4 attacks set. Not to say that those sets wouldn't be of any use, but it pales in comparison to many other of Dragon's powerful wallbreakers that don't require such as complex setup tools, and believe it should stay unranked.
Fair enough, thanks for the consideration, but I will say that after using kingdra I find it more effective than it seemed on the outside (I'm not saying you havent used it right im just saying I personally liked the benefits it brought to my team)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)