Monotype Viability Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sae

In the midst of Orre
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mfw when Stunfisk posts himself as a heretical god to our tier 0.0 An electric type to beat our lords and then a ground type to be somehow weak to them? Something is most definitely up :^]

Anyway I'm kind of back to doing my job since Anttya is forcing me to do work again ;; *Sighs* Now it's back to more office work for me:

• Tangrowth: vanderlylic pretty much summed up my thoughts on Tangrowth. The meta hasn't helped it at all, if anything the meta has become a lot worse for it since it's original nomination which was pre-ORAS. Especially now with the latest bans and unbans, I don't see Tangrowth putting in as much work. C-rank is fine and honestly should have been the case for a while. I can't conceivably see it being better than Mega Sceptile or Roserade in viability.
  • Roserade: On that note, I would even argue that Roserade's viability just rose again. While Serperior can also run HP Rock to snipe Mega CharY, the recent ban of Genesect actually makes Roserade's Scarf set put in more work against Bug teams. HP Rock is a good way to finish clean up specific threats, and actually gets surprise kills still against Mega Pinsir users, because Mega Pinsir naturally outruns so would more than likely go the safe option of using Return/Frustration to deck the Grass team instead of Quick Attack since it doesn't want to take extra turns of Iron Barbs (+ potential Rocky Helmet) damage from Ferrothorn. Anttya can have the final say on this since I'm a bit biased since I originally nommed Roserade, but between Genesect's re-banning and the rise of Mega Y, Roserade I feel could go to B-rank again.
  • Aggron: I don't mind if it drops to unranked or stays D. Tbh it fits perfectly well with D-rank and who doesn't love abusing CBand Rock Head+Head Smash from time to time. Also Sturdy+Metal Burst is pretty fun too.
  • Volbeat: I definitely agree with RZL on this. It can stay D-rank. Prankster T-wave + Tail Glow passing is incredibly niche, but it does have uses even in Monotype.
  • Mega Charizard Y: Mega Y supports the team rather well as it also improves Honchkrow and Togekiss's viability thanks to their respective fire moves being boosted, and Zard really helps the whole team by decking Ice mons. However, as Acast mentioned Mega Gyara is probably the premier Flying mega. I have nothing against this moving up to S-rank but that's only if Mega Gyarados also rises.
Other than that since we're all still talking about lower tier types for the most part, I want to propose discussion on this:
  • Cloyster B-> A: My main reason is that it is one of the main win conditions for ice teams. Shell Smash is very threatening and on offensive ice teams (yes those exist...) it can rip through some very annoying walls. Personally I think Hydro Pump is the way to go since it's otherwise walled by a lot more things if you run Ice Shard although I could see HP Fire being a thing. I've even seen the support set come in handy by laying down Spikes/Toxic Spikes and having an extra Rapid Spin so the user doesn't have to use Froslass to lay down Spikes. Cool thing is that it's a pseudo Spin Blocker by having Explosion.

That's all I have for Pokemon nominations / arguments. But I do want to stress something else. Please do not bold entire paragraphs! Like how in the PS! Monotype room, we don't like seeing a bunch of bold. It's terrible for reading and causes more headaches than anything which already can ruin a person's perception of your argument. If you're going to bold, please bold if it's either for a title or the actual move to a rank (as indicated by my above arguments). This is courtesy not just to Anttya and I, but also to everyone else who reads these posts. I greatly enjoy the VR to not get derailed like how the official discussion thread. Thank you!

Anttya take mega zard x, genesect, and mega alt out of the OP please, seeing as they are all banned now.

This is why OU removed the definitions for the ranks, and it was a good decision. People use them to try and justify mons being in certain places. In reality, while dragonite does need support to keep multiscale functional, it still is an S rank mon for dragon. Having priority that beats all other priority besides fake out, bulk, a good offensive pool, etc is definitely powerful. The weakness policy variants can sweep full teams on their own, after a dance and 2x boost from weakness policy dragonite will often be at around 30% (or more, multiscale mitigates a lot of damage) and can sweep teams with 2.5x espeed. It gets coverage, for example fire punch deals with annoying as balls scizor, eq deals with mega diancie who is a nightmare for dragon etc. Dragonite can sweep a fairy team if weakness policy activates. Anyways I'm not going to repeat a lot of what WishingJirachi7 said, but the point is I support his nomination and really hate arguments based around definitions.
the problem with weakness policy is that most players are competent enough to smack dnite with something besides an SE hit to break multiscale, then proceed to OHKO after that. a good offensive pool is nice, but as i said earlier dnite is really only using 5 moves out of its whole movepool most of the time anyway. dragonite is definitely good, no question about it, and if played right it can 6-0 teams by itself, but it's not an absolute necessity like the current S-rank dragons garchomp, lati@s and kyu-B.

I'm gonna disagree on Dragonite as the S-Rank description is below:

Dragonite, while amazing and rarely ever useless, needs SR off the field and ideally no weather. With SR present, he can't really come out whenever, and due to how his ability works, Dragonite switching into something usually ends in having no multi-scale. With A-rank, however:

... This I think is more fitting for Dragonite, as it needs support (easily given) to achieve maximum potential. The first 2 sets you listed are the ones you'll run into 95% of the time (apart from novelty rain sets or something) and the third set can't be as effective as Mega-Altaria due to Dragonite's inferior defenses (not counting multi-scale) and being walled completely by fairy types.

Additionally, DDnite will almost always have DD/dragon move/espeed, which leaves only 1 coverage option for steels/fairies... EQ lets scizor / skarm / ferro handle Dragonite, while fire punch won't stop things like diancie.

tl:dr, Draggy is fine in A/A+ rank for dragon. With the right support he is a beast, but he needs that support too much to be S-rank.
You do have a point in the fact that Dragonite is plagued by 4MSS, however the same thing can also be said about other S Rank mons such as Genesect and Latios. In fact, there's quite a few mons lieing in S Rank that have 4MSS. Also Dragonite is not completely walled by Fairies if it has Iron Head / Iron Tail.

252+ Atk Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 214-254 (54.3 - 64.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recover

252+ Atk Dragonite Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 182-216 (48.7 - 57.9%) -- 56.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Clefable may be able to take an Iron Tail but it can't switch into one unless it misses. Same for Togekiss. While I do see your point, I'm still standing by having Dragonite for S Rank.

Last edited:
Mfw when Stunfisk posts himself as a heretical god to our tier 0.0 An electric type to beat our lords and then a ground type to be somehow weak to them? Something is most definitely up :^]

Anyway I'm kind of back to doing my job since Anttya is forcing me to do work again ;; *Sighs* Now it's back to more office work for me:

• Tangrowth: vanderlylic pretty much summed up my thoughts on Tangrowth. The meta hasn't helped it at all, if anything the meta has become a lot worse for it since it's original nomination which was pre-ORAS. Especially now with the latest bans and unbans, I don't see Tangrowth putting in as much work. C-rank is fine and honestly should have been the case for a while. I can't conceivably see it being better than Mega Sceptile or Roserade in viability.
  • Roserade: On that note, I would even argue that Roserade's viability just rose again. While Serperior can also run HP Rock to snipe Mega CharY, the recent ban of Genesect actually makes Roserade's Scarf set put in more work against Bug teams. HP Rock is a good way to finish clean up specific threats, and actually gets surprise kills still against Mega Pinsir users, because Mega Pinsir naturally outruns so would more than likely go the safe option of using Return/Frustration to deck the Grass team instead of Quick Attack since it doesn't want to take extra turns of Iron Barbs (+ potential Rocky Helmet) damage from Ferrothorn. Anttya can have the final say on this since I'm a bit biased since I originally nommed Roserade, but between Genesect's re-banning and the rise of Mega Y, Roserade I feel could go to B-rank again.
  • Aggron: I don't mind if it drops to unranked or stays D. Tbh it fits perfectly well with D-rank and who doesn't love abusing CBand Rock Head+Head Smash from time to time. Also Sturdy+Metal Burst is pretty fun too.
  • Volbeat: I definitely agree with RZL on this. It can stay D-rank. Prankster T-wave + Tail Glow passing is incredibly niche, but it does have uses even in Monotype.
  • Mega Charizard Y: Mega Y supports the team rather well as it also improves Honchkrow and Togekiss's viability thanks to their respective fire moves being boosted, and Zard really helps the whole team by decking Ice mons. However, as Acast mentioned Mega Gyara is probably the premier Flying mega. I have nothing against this moving up to S-rank but that's only if Mega Gyarados also rises.
Other than that since we're all still talking about lower tier types for the most part, I want to propose discussion on this:
  • Cloyster B-> A: My main reason is that it is one of the main win conditions for ice teams. Shell Smash is very threatening and on offensive ice teams (yes those exist...) it can rip through some very annoying walls. Personally I think Hydro Pump is the way to go since it's otherwise walled by a lot more things if you run Ice Shard although I could see HP Fire being a thing. I've even seen the support set come in handy by laying down Spikes/Toxic Spikes and having an extra Rapid Spin so the user doesn't have to use Froslass to lay down Spikes. Cool thing is that it's a pseudo Spin Blocker by having Explosion.

That's all I have for Pokemon nominations / arguments. But I do want to stress something else. Please do not bold entire paragraphs! Like how in the PS! Monotype room, we don't like seeing a bunch of bold. It's terrible for reading and causes more headaches than anything which already can ruin a person's perception of your argument. If you're going to bold, please bold if it's either for a title or the actual move to a rank (as indicated by my above arguments). This is courtesy not just to Anttya and I, but also to everyone else who reads these posts. I greatly enjoy the VR to not get derailed like how the official discussion thread. Thank you!
Omg you did all of this w/o me begging you too. What in the world is happening, first I get haxed and now this??!

Ok here we go again lol.

Mega Charizard Y from A Rank -> S Rank (Flying)

With Char X now banned, Char Y gains a lot of viability since the usage cost is now lower compared to when Char X was around. It's an astounding wallbreaker, and gives weather teams a run for their money.
Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature / Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Air Slash / Focus Blast / Earthquake
- Roost / Overheat

This is a really nice special wallbreaker set that can obliterate anything in sight. With the addition of Zapdos back on flying, they now have a beastly defensive core to cover for its bad SR weakness and paper thin defense.

Mega Gallade for S Rank (Psychic)

Great addition back to Psychic teams as a potent physical boosting sweeper. Though Psychic is now probably gonna broken as hell, you really can't go wrong with the new stuff you can toy around with.
Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Knock Off / Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
- Shadow Sneak

Pretty basic set, since I am on a bit of a time constraint I won't go full depth on these sets rn. But, if you want a nice physical boosting sweeper on your team, Gallade is your guy. Coupled with great bulk, a great speed tier, on top of an amazing balanced core in Slowbro, Mew, Meloetta and/or Hoopa U, you can't go wrong with what you can accomplish.

Zapdos for S Rank (Flying)

Yay, Zapdos is back! :D Anyways, this is argubly 1 of the best defogers flying has, and it forms an amazing defensive core with the likes of Skarmory. I'm so glad this was added back to the meta. It also makes quite a great special defensive wrong, why would you not include this thing on your team?
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave / Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Man, those were the days. This is the OG Zapdos set, and it's still highly viable. I won't explain this too much since it's fairly straight forward as a defensive wall and bulky special attacker.

Oh yea, I got 1 last proposal.

Stunfisk for God Rank (Errything)

Feast your eyes, on its amazing looks, its fat, and it's in style. Great on OG ground teams, heck it annoyed the living hell out of everyone when I was the idiot who used, it, what makes you think you can't? :D
Pancake (Stunfisk) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Attract
- Swagger
- Foul Play

Presenting the princess of monotype. Anttya back me up on this 1 lol. Anyways, the purpose is to annoy the living hell out of everything, and you got an 80% chance of the hax being in your favor once set up. Fuck Togekiss, bc this is the new hax god. GG WP mofos. (yes, that is the exact set I ran back in my noob days)

I'm fine with these changes, but fix the write up imo

Remove the slash for air slash and earthquake on charizard. A resisted fire blast in the Sun still hits harder and it offers no good coverage with his movepool. Focus Blast severely outclasses earthquake.

Add speed on zapdos to outside neutral base 70s at the minimum

Slash bulk up after swords dance as Gallade and have Zenheadbutt as a main slash with shadow sneak right after it

Also ( personal bias so ima be rough) stunkfish is that garbage bandwagon mon thats popular because he's so trash and looks completely pathetic. Let's try to keep gods to lc imo

On that note, reserving megados for birds, lati twins for psychic, and psyduck( I've been wanting to do psyduck for awhile but never got to it)

Ok here we go again lol.

With Char X now banned, Char Y gains a lot of viability since the usage cost is now lower compared to when Char X was around. It's an astounding wallbreaker, and gives weather teams a run for their money.
- Solar Beam
- Roost / Overheat

This is a really nice special wallbreaker set that can obliterate anything in sight. With the addition of Zapdos back on flying, they now have a beastly defensive core to cover for its bad SR weakness and paper thin defense.

Great addition back to Psychic teams as a potent physical boosting sweeper. Though Psychic is now probably gonna broken as hell, you really can't go wrong with the new stuff you can toy around with.
Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak

Pretty basic set, since I am on a bit of a time constraint I won't go full depth on these sets rn. But, if you want a nice physical boosting sweeper on your team, Gallade is your guy. Coupled with great bulk, a great speed tier, on top of an amazing balanced core in Slowbro, Mew, Meloetta and/or Hoopa U, you can't go wrong with what you can accomplish.

Yay, Zapdos is back! :D Anyways, this is argubly 1 of the best defogers flying has, and it forms an amazing defensive core with the likes of Skarmory. I'm so glad this was added back to the meta. It also makes quite a great special defensive wrong, why would you not include this thing on your team?
Zapdos @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave / Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Man, those were the days. This is the OG Zapdos set, and it's still highly viable. I won't explain this too much since it's fairly straight forward as a defensive wall and bulky special attacker.

Feast your eyes, on its amazing looks, its fat, and it's in style. Great on OG ground teams, heck it annoyed the living hell out of everyone when I was the idiot who used, it, what makes you think you can't? :D
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Attract
- Swagger
- Foul Play

Presenting the princess of monotype. Anttya back me up on this 1 lol. Anyways, the purpose is to annoy the living hell out of everything, and you got an 80% chance of the hax being in your favor once set up. Fuck Togekiss, bc this is the new hax god. GG WP mofos. (yes, that is the exact set I ran back in my noob days)
yo mate, give/add Gallade a bulk up set please or just slash it > SD n_n
sometimes bulk up can be really hard to take down, especially with a more offensive mono that relies on pure slow wallbreaking to beat setup mons, and Gallade is just a tad bulky enough to drain punch stuff and keep itself alive. Might not be the popular set, but it is fairly good.

Also fuck, didn't read Edwin's thing ;;

I'm fine with these changes, but fix the write up imo

Remove the slash for air slash and earthquake on charizard. A resisted fire blast in the Sun still hits harder and it offers no good coverage with his movepool. Focus Blast severely outclasses earthquake.

Add speed on zapdos to outside neutral base 70s at the minimum

Slash bulk up after swords dance as Gallade and have Zenheadbutt as a main slash with shadow sneak right after it

Also ( personal bias so ima be rough) stunkfish is that garbage bandwagon mon thats popular because he's so trash and looks completely pathetic. Let's try to keep gods to lc imo

On that note, reserving megados for birds, lati twins for psychic, and psyduck( I've been wanting to do psyduck for awhile but never got to it)
EQ is for Heatran that would otherwise wall it. I saw Neski ran it on her Flying, I didn't think it was a bad idea tbh.

Ok here we go again lol.

- Solar Beam
- Roost / Overheat

Gallade (M) @ Galladite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Heat Wave / Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Attract
- Swagger
- Foul Play

Could you also mention a physical Charizard Y set? While not as threatening as Charizard X was with tough claws and easy dragon dancing opportunities it still hits reasonably hard with 104 base attack stat and the sun boosting its flare blitz and can (possibly) use dragon dance or swords dance itself. The main reasons it should find use are that Charizard X is banned and it provides a nice surprise to the usual Charizard Y counters.

Physical Charizard Y

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Swords dance / Dragon dance / Tailwind / Roost

This set is self explanatory, letting charizard get past counters with high special defense but low defense. Flare blitz is the manditory STAB, hitting reasonably hard in the sun, with the choice between earthquake, dragon claw, and outrage for choosing who you want your new counters to be. Roost is for recovery, to offset the flare blitz damage, and the last slot is really filler, choosing between set up moves, support moves, or even a coverage move from the second move slot.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 160-190 (24.9 - 29.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey: 156-184 (24.2 - 28.6%) -- 98.6% chance to 4HKO
252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 333-393 (51.8 - 61.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra in Sun: 74-87 (19.4 - 22.8%) -- possible 5HKO
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Goodra: 102-122 (26.7 - 32%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Outrage vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 300-354 (78.7 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Dragon Claw vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Goodra: 202-238 (53 - 62.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite in Sun: 156-185 (48.2 - 57.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Dragon Pulse vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 216-256 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Charizard Y Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Dragonite: 234-276 (72.4 - 85.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(Dragonite's hp changed to 1 less than its maximum to remove multiscale, though stealth rocks would do more damage than 1 hp)

However the best set I personally believe mega charizard Y can run is a mixed set with enough power to bust through its usual counters but the special sweeping power to get past the pokemon it's known for getting past, though it does give Charizard Y a sort of 4MSS.

EVs: 200 Atk / 56 SpA / 252 Spe or 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Solar Beam / Fire Blast / Focus Blast
- Earthquake / Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Roost / Tailwind / Dragon Dance / Swords Dance

With these evs Mega Charizard Y can use its mediocre attack stat to break the once before counters, getting 2hkos onto things like chansey with its flare blitz and goodra with dragon claw or outrage. While this set does lose the ability to ohko dragonite after stealth rocks, it gains the ability to be unwalled by things that could wall fully physical Charizard Y but are weak to its special coverage. Your selection of moves on this Charizard lets you choose what counters you, with the main thing holding mixed Charizard Y back is the 4MSS. Flare Blitz is the niche of this set, allowing Charizard Y to get past special walls like chansey. The next move is a choice of coverage, and fire blast is slashed as it hits harder than flare blitz in both spreads. The third move can be another special or physical coverage move as they both have their spots in defeating certain counters and checks. The final move can be a special or physical coverage move, but has some support moves vouching for that slot, most noticeably roost and dragon dance. The first spread lets you 2hko 4/252+ defense chansey unboosted, while the second set lets you 2hko 252/252+ defense chansey after a dragon dance.
Honorable mentions go to Will o Wisp, viable on more bulky sets, stone edge, rock slide, and ancient power, who serve even smaller niches than the other coverage moves, belly drum + tailwind/flame charge, and quick attack (Yeah! Priority!).

EDIT: Would also like to mention a few OU sets for Zapdos from the SmogDex:

Physically Defensive Zapdos

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
- Roost
- Defog / Hidden Power Ice
- Heat Wave / Toxic

"The EVs and Bold nature are designed to maximize Zapdos's physical bulk while outspeeding Adamant Bisharp. Instead of max HP investment, 4 EVs are moved to Defense so that Zapdos takes less damage from Stealth Rock while hitting a Defense jump point. The 68 Special Attack EVs guarantee the OHKO on Mega Pinsir with Thunderbolt, a Pokemon that Zapdos is meant to counter. Leftovers is the best item by far to improve Zapdos's longevity."

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Zapdos: 214-252 (55.7 - 65.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
68 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Pinsir: 270-320 (99.6 - 118%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Specially Defensive Zapdos

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Roost
- Hidden Power Ice
- Defog / Heat Wave

"The given EVs maximize Zapdos's special bulk, allowing it to check powerful special threats, such as Keldeo and Gengar, as well as survive a +2 Return from Mega Pinsir after Stealth Rock damage while outpacing Adamant Bisharp. Leftovers is crucial to survive +2 Return from Mega Pinsir after Stealth Rock damage and increases Zapdos's overall longevity."

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Zapdos: 263-309 (68.6 - 80.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
(This Calc doesn't factor in leftovers recovery)
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 180+ SpD Zapdos: 220-261 (57.4 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 248 HP / 180+ SpD Zapdos: 148-176 (38.6 - 45.9%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 180+ SpD Zapdos: 165-196 (43 - 51.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recover
252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 180+ SpD Zapdos: 142-168 (37 - 43.8%) -- 37.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/pokemon/zapdos/

Zapdos can also run a semi viable specs or scarf set with above average 125 special attack stat and average 100 speed.

Zapdos @ Choice Scarf / Choice Specs
Modest / Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ground
- Signal Beam / Extrasensory / Ancient Power

While its special movepool may be lacking, it has just enough to make a semi viable choice set with unique coverage in the form of thunderbolt + heat wave, a combo no other special attacker has without using a hidden power. From this you can add your coverage moves, as they will be hitting things your other moves can't, such as HP Ice for 4x weak dragons and the lando forms, HP Grass for Quagsire, and HP Ground for Heatran. The last move comes from it's shallow movepool, only useful to hit 4x weaknesses such as signal beam for Hoopa U and extrasensory for Mega Venusaur.

252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 120 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 492-578 (98.2 - 115.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 205-243 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zapdos: 166-196 (51.7 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Landorus: 512-604 (160.5 - 189.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 540-636 (137 - 161.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Hidden Power Grass vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Mega Swampert: 352-416 (96.1 - 113.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 380-450 (94 - 111.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. +1 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 254-302 (62.8 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Hidden Power Ground vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 360-428 (111.4 - 132.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Signal Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hoopa: 384-452 (127.5 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Changed Hoopa's typing to Psychic/Dark since Hoopa U isn't in the calcs yet)
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Rotom-W: 147-174 (48.3 - 57.2%) -- 41% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Extrasensory vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Venusaur: 218-258 (59.8 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Zapdos Ancient Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 340-404 (114.4 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:

Physical Tyranitar

formerly Marquis of Blaze
EQ is for Heatran that would otherwise wall it. I saw Neski ran it on her Flying, I didn't think it was a bad idea tbh.
Mega Charizard Y for Flying S Rank isn't so bad. Now that Mega Charizard X is banned, Flying is more vulnerable to Ice. Mega Charizard Y can sweep most Ice Teams with Drought Fire Blast, which can OHKO things like Black Kyurem, Avalugg(obviously), and Mega Abomasnow(also obviously). It can also override Mega Abomasnow's hail with Drought, so Blizzard is less likely to hit your Flying Types. It is very versatile, able to run a bulky set (if SR is kept off with Defog), Mixed, and Special and Physical.
A Physical Set is actually viable, because as SubMindRaikou said, it helps it stand up to Chansey, and with a Sun-Boosted Flare Blitz it can do more damage than Mega Charizard X, so that is helpful. But there is also the bulky support set. As long as you keep Stealth Rock off the battlefield(which shouldn't be too hard, since most Flying Types can learn Defog), it actually has a lot of bulk going for it, and a good support movepool.

Charizard@Charizardite Y
EVs: 200 HP, 228 Special Defense, 20 Speed, 8 Defense
Nature: Calm
IVs: 0 Attack
-Will'O'Wisp
-Tailwind/Defog
-Fire Blast
-Roost

This set aims to get the most out of Mega Charizard Y's bulk. 0 IVs minimize Foul Play and Confusion Damage, and Fire Blast does massive damage, even when uninvested. Will'O'Wisp cripples Physical Attackers that otherwise may give you trouble such as Gyarados, Excadrill, and Garchomp, and Roost provides steady recovery while also removing the Flying type, knocking down the 4x weakness to Rock temporarily, and this, combined with the sun, gives neutrality to Electric, Water, while easying the Rock weakness, and gives resistance to Ice. It gives you a Ground Weakness, but you could easily switch out into Flying Types, which you have as a Flying Monotype Trainer.

In conclusion, Mega Charizard Y has the typing, ability, movepool, bulk and skills to make it worthy of S Rank, and although it does have some downsides, the perks of Mega Charizard strongly overweigh the downfalls and this is what makes it a good Pokemon that any well-balanced team needs. This comment has gotten no likes, so this is bad and I feel bad.

Physical Tyranitar

Nah Anttya, its not really happening. You're just hallucinating :P
Can't seem to tell whether you're being sarcastic or not. Anttya does seem like the kind of person to hallucinate......say, is it me, or do my Whale-Shoes taste like Purple DubStep Cheese? Okay, Mr.Monkey, We'll have a tea party next time...

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Slurpuff B-->A
The set
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry

Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Aromatherapy/Return/Sub
- Belly Drum
Details
Let me shout out my boy Balto for showing me how good this pokemon is on fairy monos and also for showing me one of the moves in the set that is very useful. Play Rough is main stab move. Drain Punch is there to hit steel types and in general is coverage. The last 3 moves are a toss up Aromatherapy is the move Balto has been using and it is very effective for getting rid of paras or burns that would otherwise stop your sweep. Sub is a good option to avoid status also. Return is another coverage move option it is only useful vs a few mons but it can be useful. Belly Drum is the move that boosts this pokemon's attack to high levels. Unburden is ability that doubles this Pokemon's Speed
Why A Rank
Although this Pokemon is very good it is hard walled by a couple things Aegii and Doublade which are decently common in mono meta hard wall this set. This pokemon relies on a bit of support from one of its teammates being klefiki which sets up screens easily letting you set up a belly drum. Most teams are not prepared for this mon after it sets up a belly drum even normal can't beat it with ditto because of its ability. Overall this Pokemon fits the A Rank category because of this pokemon getting drain punch of oras
A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have S rank qualities, but need support (which can be easily given) in order for them to be successful. These Pokemon can play a role against most type matchups, but they may be hard walled by 1-2 types. However, these Pokemon are mostly used for one or two of their sets meaning that they can be predictable. These Pokemon influence the Metagame.
This description matches slurpuff's performance in the mono meta because the support it gets on fairy teams is very easily given to it allowing it to set up with ease.

Slurpuff B-->A
The set
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry

Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum
Details
Let me shout out my boy Balto for showing me how good this pokemon is on fairy monos and also for showing me one of the moves in the set that is very useful. Play Rough is main stab move. Drain Punch is there to hit steel types and in general is coverage. The last 3 moves are a toss up Aromatherapy is the move Balto has been using and it is very effective for getting rid of paras or burns that would otherwise stop your sweep. Sub is a good option to avoid status also. Return is another coverage move option it is only useful vs a few mons but it can be useful. Belly Drum is the move that boosts this pokemon's attack to high levels. Unburden is ability that doubles this Pokemon's Speed
Why A Rank
Although this Pokemon is very good it is hard walled by a couple things Aegii and Doublade which are decently common in mono meta hard wall this set. This pokemon relies on a bit of support from one of its teammates being klefiki which sets up screens easily letting you set up a belly drum. Most teams are not prepared for this mon after it sets up a belly drum even normal can't beat it with ditto because of its ability. Overall this Pokemon fits the A Rank category because of this pokemon getting drain punch of oras
A Rank: Reserved for Pokemon that have S rank qualities, but need support (which can be easily given) in order for them to be successful. These Pokemon can play a role against most type matchups, but they may be hard walled by 1-2 types. However, these Pokemon are mostly used for one or two of their sets meaning that they can be predictable. These Pokemon influence the Metagame.
This description matches slurpuff's performance in the mono meta because the support it gets on fairy teams is very easily given to it allowing it to set up with ease.
I agree with everything, but I'd Slash on cotton guard, so it can be a lot harder to revenge kill with say bullet punch. You can also run a CM set that isn't super hard to set up.

Physical Tyranitar

Slurpuff B-->A
The set
Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry

Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Belly Drum
Details
Why A Rank
Agreed 100%. Slurpuff is a devestating monster that can easily sweep entire teams easily. Once it uses Belly Drum, there is little stopping it. The reason Slurpuff isn't S Rank is because of Azumarill, who has better typing, higher bulk, and higher attack, and Slurpuff's physical movepool is virtually non-existent. But that doesn't stop it from sweeping.

I agree with everything, but I'd Slash on cotton guard, so it can be a lot harder to revenge kill with say bullet punch. You can also run a CM set that isn't super hard to set up.
True, but the CM set is far less viable than the Belly Drum set because Fairy Monotype has many Special Attackers that are more viable than Calm Mind Slurpuff, so it has to deal with competition from stuff like Sylveon, Togekiss, etc. but Fairy doesn't have many physical attackers.

Rankurusu B-->A (Psychic)

Reuniclus is probably one of the most underrated pokemon in the meta. Although she faces competition from some Psychic types, including Alakazam from the BW days, she has quite a handful of qualities that make her well worth using. Outside of Attack and Speed, her stats are very well distributed, notably 125 base Special Attack and 110 base HP which lets Reuniclus play the role of a bulky hard hitter. She also has a wonderful ability in Magic Guard, meaning she takes no recoil damage from Life Orb or any other passive damage. Her movepool is really good too, with tools like Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Thunder, Psyshock, and Psychic to hit many things hard as well as Recover to restore HP. Trick Room and Calm Mind only helps Reuniclus even more for either late game sweeps or stallbreaking.​

Reuniclus (F) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

One of the best stallbreakers in the entire Monotype metagame. Calm Mind will boost her already good special stats to even greater levels. Psyshock is used to win Calm Mind wars against mons such as Suicune and break through special walls such as Chansey. 3rd Slot covers whatever you want. Recover is used to restore HP.

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fire
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire

This set aims to take advantage of Reuniclus's horrendous 30 base speed with Trick Room. Trick Room makes Reuniclus "faster" than nearly the entire metagame. The choice of whether to use Psyshock or Psychic depends on whether you want to hit either special or physical walls harder. Shadow Ball is used to hit Ghost types. Focus Blast rounds out her coverage and hits Dark and Steel types. If you really fear Scizor, then HP Fire is an acceptable alternative for either Shadow Ball or Focus Blast.

Overall, Reuniclus is a very helpful for what it does, whether it be stallbreaking with CM or sweeping late-game with TR. While she does have flaws such as 30 base speed and being suscetable to taunt, her pros overshadow most of her cons. She even has some great teammates to handle her weaknesses such as Unbound/Meloetta to handle Ghosts, and Mega Gardevoir/Mega Gallade to handle Dark types. For these reasons, I think A Rank is suitable for Reuniclus. The Rankurusu gijinka is so kawaii <3

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus

Reuniclus is probably one of the most underrated pokemon in the meta. Although she faces competition from some Psychic types, including Alakazam from the BW days, she has quite a handful of qualities that make her well worth using. Outside of Attack and Speed, her stats are very well distributed, notably 125 base Special Attack and 110 base HP which lets Reuniclus play the role of a bulky hard hitter. She also has a wonderful ability in Magic Guard, meaning she takes no recoil damage from Life Orb or any other passive damage. Her movepool is really good too, with tools like Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Thunder, Psyshock, and Psychic to hit many things hard as well as Recover to restore HP. Trick Room and Calm Mind only helps Reuniclus even more for either late game sweeps or stallbreaking.​

Reuniclus (F) @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball / Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire
- Recover

One of the best stallbreakers in the entire Monotype metagame. Calm Mind will boost her already good special stats to even greater levels. Psyshock is used to win Calm Mind wars against mons such as Suicune and break through special walls such as Chansey. 3rd Slot covers whatever you want. Recover is used to restore HP.

Reuniclus (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Hidden Power Fire
- Focus Blast / Hidden Power Fire

This set aims to take advantage of Reuniclus's horrendous 30 base speed with Trick Room. Trick Room makes Reuniclus "faster" than nearly the entire metagame. The choice of whether to use Psyshock or Psychic depends on whether you want to hit either special or physical walls harder. Shadow Ball is used to hit Ghost types. Focus Blast rounds out her coverage and hits Dark and Steel types. If you really fear Scizor, then HP Fire is an acceptable alternative for either Shadow Ball or Focus Blast.

Overall, Reuniclus is a very helpful for what it does, whether it be stallbreaking with CM or sweeping late-game with TR. While she does have flaws such as 30 base speed and being suscetable to taunt, her pros overshadow most of her cons. She even has some great teammates to handle her weaknesses such as Unbound/Meloetta to handle Ghosts, and Mega Gardevoir/Mega Gallade to handle Dark types. For these reasons, I think A Rank is suitable for Reuniclus. The Rankurusu gijinka is so kawaii <3
Underrated? Sure, I'll admit Reuniclus is a bit underrated, but it's not A Rank material in my opinion. Its pure Psychic typing does no favors for its team, and while it is the best Trick Room user on the type, there are so many fast Psychic types that Trick Room isn't even necessary and really isn't that useful. If I really wanted a Calm Mind user, I'd personally prefer Slowbro for its physical bulk and wider movepool anyway. Reuniclus is good enough for B rank, but A Rank is overestimating its usefulness.

scpinion

Life > Monotype... unfortunately :)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Underrated? Sure, I'll admit Reuniclus is a bit underrated, but it's not A Rank material in my opinion. Its pure Psychic typing does no favors for its team, and while it is the best Trick Room user on the type, there are so many fast Psychic types that Trick Room isn't even necessary and really isn't that useful. If I really wanted a Calm Mind user, I'd personally prefer Slowbro for its physical bulk and wider movepool anyway. Reuniclus is good enough for B rank, but A Rank is overestimating its usefulness.
Going to 2nd Reuni should be B-rank. The niche it fills over something like CM Melo or Slowbro is having an immunity to status. That alone doesn't give it reason to be A rank, and Reuni's role on TR psychic isn't prominent enough to warrant A rank.

Physical Tyranitar

Doggone it! You've infatuated me with that gijinka! Reuniclus is a good wall, but the thing that is stopping it from being A Rank is the fact that it's outclassed by the pink-shelled daydreaming dolphin, a.k.a. Slowbro, who has higher defense, natural bulk, and support movepool. Even with full investment, Reuniclus still has a measly Base 75 Defense, even with a high Base 110 HP, can only get so high, even with full investment, but at the same time Slowbro has raw physical offenses.

Kind of stole the words from my mouth. With powerful Psychic options such as Mega Gallade, Mega Gardevoir, Jirachi, and others, there aren't enough slow pokemon to have a Psychic Trick Room team, or at least not a healthy one.

To sum it up, Reuniclus is outclassed by Slowbro. Plus Slowbro has a Shellder on its tail, so technically you get two Pokemon. Not one, but two.

Physical Tyranitar

Okay, after hours of research, I have came upon a conclusion of a certain nominee for Monotype Psychic that actually has grounded facts. So please do me a favor and leave me a like ;) anyway, as it is severely outclassed as a wall by Reuniclus and Slowbro, it still has a certain niche.....

t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)
t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)t(-_-t)
Presenting......Musharna for D Rank

Musharna, The Drowsing Pokémon. The mist emanating from their foreheads is packed with the dreams of people and Pokémon.With the mist from its forehead, it can create shapes of things from dreams it has eaten.The dream mist coming from its forehead changes into many different colors depending on the dream that was eaten.

Height: 3'07" (1.1 Meters)

Weight: 133.4 lbs (60.5 kilograms)

HP: 116- Very Good
Attack: 55- Below Average
Defense: 85 - Average
Special Attack: 107- Above Average
Special Defense: 95- Above Average
Speed: 29 - Very Low

Overall BST: 487 - Above Average

Weaknesses:
Dark, Bug, Ghost

Musharna is a Pokemon introduced in Generation V as an early-game Pokemon that evolves by physical contact with a magical stone. With virtually non-existent speed and attack, it is built like a wall and has the defenses to withstand many hits. While many people call it ugly, this is likely because of the many genwunners who harshly criticized Gen 5. It gets the abilites Forewarn and Synchronize, and the hidden ability Telepathy.

Musharna is currently in the Neverused tier, below PU and the Rarely Used Tier. It is one of the premier walls there and does handy baton-passing.

Today two people, Bob and Max, will be walking you through the process of the nominee.

So Manly!

Bob: We all know that Musharna is severely outclasssed as a physical wall. It has high defenses, so high that it can withstand physical Dark attacks such as Knock Off, Sucker Punch, and Pursuit. With Base 116 HP and Base 85 defense and Base 95 Special Defense, it is able to take many hits on Monotype Psychic such as Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Bug Buzz, and others. With it's bulk, it can freely help teammates by switching into a plethora of physical and special attacks and shrug them off with her recovery. It also gets a very good skill in the move Baton Pass, a move a baby Munna (it's pre-evolution) can learn by breeding, so that means it can use Calm Mind to load up, either choose to attack, or to power up another teammate with Baton Pass, meaning it can function as a wall, offensive calm mind, or a Baton Passer. Unlike other physical walls of her breed, she has a respectable Special Defense at Base 95, unlike her brethren Slowbro & Reuniclus, who have less-than-decent Special Defense stats of 80 and 85, requiring them to use Calm Mind to shore it up. Musharna also can be in an offensive Trick Room team, and a defensive pivot. Musharna has a nifty baton passing niche.

Max: Of course, in no way is Musharna deserving of anything above D Rank. It is literally outclassed in every single way in every single thing it does. Espeon the Fat Pink Cat can pop some Calm Minds faster with it's Base 110 Speed and pass it faster, but lacks the bulk. As mentioned before, Slowbro, Reuniclus, Deoxys-Defense, and more can take hits as well as or even better than Musharna, have a better offensive presence, and have better abilites. While Musharna's abilities are helpful, they rarely truly make a difference, while Reuniclus is immune to status and taunting Deoxys sets up hazards quickly and effectively, and Slowbro negates hazard damage with Regenerator. Musharna also doesn't have the movepool to justify her high special attack, so it will most likely do as much damage as Bob said. Virtually no speed, and useless abilities mean it cannot serve well as a sweeper or a Pokemon that can switch-in to common cores.

Bob: Shut the fuck up Max, always derailing my points, although you're right - to an extent. The reason Musharna is D Rank is because it is mostly outclassed, so it cannot shine well on its own, basically the stereotypical Psychic-Type Pokemon. Musharna's typing also contributes little to your Mono Psychic team. So here are the standard sets.

Musharna @ Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Moonlight

The Trick Room Set. This set aims to use Musharna's terrible speed, and use Trick Room to make it move first usually. Again, Musharna's relatively horrible special movepool limits it to Psychic and Signal Beam, but alone it can also deal quite a lot of damage.

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Thunder Wave

Standard defensive Pivot set, which aims to squeeze every last amount of Musharna's impressive physical bulk to make it withstand physical hits like never before, however this is severely outclassed by Slowbro.

Musharna can also run a nice cleric set, utilizing her healing movepool, including Heal Pulse, Synchronize, and others.

Musharna is also the manliness Pokemon, the pimpest pimp to ever have pimp. Manly men such as Arnold Scwharzwneger and Bruce Lee have dreamed of being even close to the sheer manliness of the Man Pimp, the God of Manliness, the sexy powerful Man-Animal, Musharna, full of manly, manly manliness, oozing testosterone mist.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey what's up guy, I'm going to make a nomination for what I feel is an underrated force on Poison Monotypes.
Nominating Toxicroak for C-rank on Poison

Now, I know you're wondering "why is this guy nominating a Pokemon that has a 4x weakness to Psychic on a Poison-type team". In all honesty, Toxicroak is really helpful for checking a lot of things, such as Garchomp, Landorus, Charizard, Volcarona, mono-attacking Manaphy and others by virtue of its sweet movepool and its solid ability. Toxicroak also has plenty of Dark-type moves which can actually help against Psychic-types, although it cannot switch into them.

Toxicroak @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide
- Drain Punch

This was a set that I had posted on Stunfisk The Great's Poison Monotype RMT, and for good reason. It actually took on most, if not all of the threats to his team, which I've mentioned in the overview of this post. This Choice Scarf set can come as a surprise to people and can get a kill when they don't expect it.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Ability: Dry Skin
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance

This is another set that Toxicroak can use, which can help against a variety of teams and really shows off its power. Other sets include Nasty Plot.

That's generally all I have to say about Toxicroak which isn't the greatest option on Monotype Poison, although it's generally a useful Pokemon and a check to several threats to the type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)