Gen 6 [Monotype] Water: Cool Off (500th Post)

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

I am a huge fan of a lot of genres of music, varying from Gospel, Hip-Hop, Rap, R&B/Soul, and Pop while some of my favorite artists are Tamela Mann, Tasha Cobbs, Busta Rhymes, Jennifer Hudson, Megan Thee Stallion, Da Baby, Lauren Hill, Erykah Badu, Ella Fitzgerald, Rihanna, and so many more. Music is a way of relaxation and a way for me to relieve stress or as you call it "venting" but expressing it musically. NGL, school is really stressful rn and music is the only thing that's maintaining all of emotions that just so happens to circle through my head. This is my 500th post and it will be featuring an offensive Water team for Gen6, enjoy!

The Team

Starmie
Item: Life Orb
| Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
Hydro Pump
/ Psychic
/ Recover
/ Ice Beam

Originally, Manaphy was in this spot with U-turn to form a VoltTurn core with Rotom-Wash. Manaphy helps a lot with Poison- and Fighting-type Pokemon like Mega-Venusaur and Breloom with Psychic + Tail Glow, but it lacks recovery without Rest. Starmie on the other hand does a lot to those threats thanks to its Psychic-type STAB and pairing it with Life Orb, it outputs maximum damage while being able to switch attacks. Recover is essential for longevity while Natural Cure forces Breloom to attack you as opposed to using non-damaging moves such as Spore, Swords Dance, or Substitute. Starmie helps with Fighting-type Pokemons that otherwise threatens both Empoleon and Mega-Sharpedo; however its not a switchin to the majority of these threats. The last move was either between Rapid Spin, Thunderbolt, Hidden Power Fire and Ice beam. Rapid Spin can be situational especially if you really need hazards off and there is an opposing Ghost-type Pokemon on the team while Electric-type coverage was pretty much covered by Rotom-Wash. Hidden Power Fire is a fish for Ferrothorn and its no need to really prep for the Grass matchup as Pokemon like Serperior, Celebi, and Mega Venusaur exists. Ice beam along with Ice Fang on Sharpedo and Empoleon's Steel-typing, allows this to have a fair matchup against Dragon.

Keldeo
Item: Leftovers
/ Choice Specs
| Ability: Justified
Calm Mind
/ Substitute
/ Scald
/ Secret Sword

Scald
/ Secret Sword
/ Hydro Pump
/ Focus Blast

Next up is Keldeo, which is glue on the majority of Water-type teams in Monotype and pairs nicely with Starmie as they resist each others' weaknesses: Starmie is weak to Dark-type attacks while Keldeo is weak to Psychic-type attacks. I have 2 sets here because I feel like Choice Specs and Substitute + Calm Mind does 2 different things: Choice Specs gives straight off direct damage for the Normal- and Steel-type matchup while Secret Sword being used more in Normal and Focus Blast being more effective in Steel while Calm Mind helps with opposing Water-type teams and Dark-type teams with Sableye + Cacturne. Substitute Cacturne can be threatening on choiced sets as it can use Substitute on the Water-type move and use Seed Bomb on the rest of your team. If you feel comfortable just going without Calm Mind, that's perfectly fine but I like alternating the sets depending on who I am facing. I chose not to add Icy Wind on the choiced set as I feel Ice Beam Starmie, Ice Fang Sharpedo, and Toxic Empoleon are already enough for me to be a little more flexible with the set.

Sharpedo
Item: Sharpedonite
| Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Adamant Nature
Protect
/ Waterfall
/ Crunch
/ Ice Fang

Adding Mega Sharpedo also offensively goes well with both Starmie and Keldeo as it provides a Psychic-type immunity for Keldeo resists both Ghost- and Dark-type attacks for Starmie. This mon is a nice late game cleaner and does well in a number of matchups such as Psychic, Ghost, Dragon, Water, Bug, and etc. Psychic Fangs is not available this generation so Dual STAB was the way to go instantly with a filler move. Protect is crucial for Sharpedo to gain speed with its ability, Speed Boost, for a number of Pokemon in the metagame and to get KOs with Strong Jaw + Adamant. On Sharpedo-less variant waters, Mega Gyarados or even a slower option, Crawdaunt, may be on some teams for Psychic while some have even ran Signal Beam Empoleon as a fish for Celebi but at the end of the day, Mega Sharpedo is a top, if not the best option if you plan on beating Psychic with your Water team. Ice Fang was originally going to be Substitute but Ice Fang + Crunch does so freaking well against Dragon; especially if you manage to get a Stealth Rock up.

Empoleon
Item: Leftovers
| Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD | Calm Nature
Toxic
/ Protect
/ Scald
/ Defog

Empoleon was originally going to be our rocker but I chose a different approach in terms of how I'd use it as utility. Toxic and Scald is here to spread status on a number of Pokemon while Protect is here to stall status damage and/or scout the next opponent's move. Defog was originally on Rotom-Wash but I chose to run an offensive set as well as no Rapid Spin on Starmie. 84 Defenses is to change Choice Band Dragonite's Outrage to a 3HKO instead of a 2HKO roll while opting the rest in for SpD to allow Empoleon to switchin to special Dragon-type attacks like Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse. Flash Cannon is not needed on Empoleon as it mainly hits a few Fairy-types while Rock is covered by Scald and Ice is covered with Empoleon's Steel-type and support from Keldeo.

Swampert
Item: Rindo Berry
| Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def | Relaxed Nature
Mirror Coat
/ Stealth Rock
/ Earthquake
/ Scald

Empoleon forms a defensive core with Empoleon and is needed for Stealth Rock on our team. Stealth Rock supports the entire team in doing chip and breaking sashes. Leftovers is the most preferred set for Swampert, but Rindo Berry is able to bop a number of special-type Grass Pokemon such as Mega Venusaur and Celebi by surprise with Mirror Coat. Its one of those risk-type things but the result is very much worth but Leftovers will always be a preferred set for longevity. Toxic can be replaced with Mirror Coat if you choose to edit the team and run lefties. Swampert's Ground-typing is appreciated as the team is Electric-move spammable and simply does what any Swampert does. I originally thought of a Gastrodon + Empoleon core but with the moveset I chose for Empoleon causes the need for the sea monster for Stealth Rock greater than the sea slug.

Rotom-Wash
Item: Choice Scarf
| Ability: Levitate
Thunderbolt
/ Hydro Pump
/ Trick
/ Volt Switch

The team is lacking a Speed Control option and I chose Rotom-Wash to support both Flying and Water, which are pretty good types in ORAS if you ask me. Rotom-W's ability, Levitate is very much appreciated also as the team was lacking a Earthquake switch-in. Swampert is EVd to survive maybe 2 or 3 Earthquakes depending on who the opposing mon is and its item but adding Rotom-Wash here can even some odds as it can outspeed a number of things with Choice Scarf like Tornadus, Landorus, and Keldeo. Volt Switch is here to keep the momentum flowing with Trick cripples walls like Chansey, Ferrothorn, or Scrafty that otherwise straight up wall this.

(Click on the sprites for an importable!)

Threatlist
Grass is one of Gen6's underplayed and as some may call it, an "untype" and it's not worth prepping for. The combination of Mega Venusaur, Celebi, Breloom, and Serperior is way too much to prep for especially since this typing is barely seen at the moment.

Shoutouts
Decem Thanks for being my favorite player I've ever met on this site and for tutoring me most importantly. I do despise building Gen7 and playing it but hopefully you can see that I took our previous sessions to continue to grow as a good battler+builder in the very very very near future.
Attribute and @ISZ You are my favorite oras players and thank you so much for introducing me and providing sets along with how to use teams. This has quickly became one of my most favorable gens to watch and build for for Monotype
Cell Wyn Ticken maroon Floss Prosaic Trichotomy Vodoom Anttya Sabella Conflux Brisked Decem Attribute Chaitanya Are some Monotype players I look up to and I recognize them because my goal is to be on the same level as them one day, if not better, especially in my home tier Gen 8 and eventually Gen6.
Katy Corthius Pokeslice Are some spectacular NU users I have met after progressing my interests inside of NU, and it may take me a little while to build, especially for tournaments, but these 3 spirited users inspires me to keep pushing and strive to become familiar with the tier.
Seo. yedla Dieu Amphibien Maki Stareal smub Fylkir Pudin FU SHUN HA ez Ashaury Calem DPU Harpp DrReuniclus iKioi Are some players I see casually online or have met in the past and they all give my laughs or just are spirited users to see online lol.
ThelordofbadRNG Teggun Burcs dogecreamgaming post Noxious goons that are still alive..I had fun with all my different alts and then getting locked for advertising 2 years ago, now I hate leagues, I report every single last person that tried to recruit me (even when I was in one LOL).​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)