Team Monotype Winter Premier IV - Semifinals

twinkay

these bugs love all the sugar in my blood
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
hosted with Kev
1642999421214.png

banner by Moosical

Semifinals
Rules
Replay Thread
Records Spreadsheet

1642999365171.png
vs
1642999376816.png

Mossdeep Murkrows (1) vs Seafolk City Spirits (5)

SS: jonfilch vs Hurtadoo
SS: Bluxio vs Hyperspace12
SS: TJ vs Prof.Otaku
Bo3: Sabella vs mushamu
Threat: D2TheW vs adjustments
NatDex: QWILY vs FatFighter2

1642999405563.png
vs
1642999396798.png

Nixtorm Ninetales (4) vs Zephyr Zigzagoons (2)

SS: Plunder vs mixwell
SS: Shiba vs Trichotomy
SS: Xiri vs Catalystic
Bo3: Bushtush vs Star
Threat: Nailec vs avarice
NatDex: Mateeus vs Vodoom

:meloetta: Monothreat is Normal! :meloetta:
:latias: Bo3 starts with ORAS! :latios:

Mossdeep Murkrows vs Seafolk City Spirits

SS: jonfilch vs Hurtadoo
SS: Bluxio vs Hyperspace12
SS: TJ vs Prof.Otaku
Bo3: Sabella vs mushamu
Threat: D2TheW vs adjustments
NatDex: QWILY vs FatFighter2

Nixtorm Ninetales vs Zephyr Zigzagoons

SS: Plunder vs mixwell
SS: Shiba vs Trichotomy
SS: Xiri vs Catalystic
Bo3: Bushtush vs Star
Threat: Nailec vs avarice
NatDex: Mateeus vs Vodoom

The deadline for Semifinals is: Sunday, January 30th @ 11:59 PM EST (GMT -5)!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
For the last 7 years or so, I've become famous for hating on DugZa. It all started from some bad blood b/w myself & his fans. While hating Maple has helped me gain internet recognition, it's become very mentally draining in my personal life. I don't enjoy the sport anymore b/c I've been so obsessed with nitpicking every one of Bars & Melodies failures & explaining away why he wins so much with clips & stats that, while not technically incorrect, leave out lots of context or throws. I let my personal beef & hatred with Zephyr fans blind me from the truth, which is that DugZa is the greatest pokemon player of all-time, and there's really no way to deny it after what he's done in Monotype the last two years. I still don't like him, and I still believe he's the luckiest player ever, which has led partly to his insane ring count, but his longevity, consistency and especially performance in the circuit for over 20 years are unmatched by any other player ever. Even if you take out rings, he's one of the best players ever and switches mons faster than any other player to the correct mon. I don't like watching it, but it's undeniably effective & in the end, that's what matters the most. For those who follow me for my Maple hate or use what I've posted to argue Bars & Melodies isn't the GOAT, I'm sorry, but I had to do this, I couldn't keep living a lie. Part of being a man is admitting when you're wrong, and I was wrong about Zephyr. Congrats DugZa fans, you win. I will gladly take the L on this if it means I can now go back to enjoying the sport I love.

Decided I wanted to do detailed predictions for semis/finals. These have no bias and are just personal opinions, so if you're offended that's on you.

Mossdeep Murkrows(4) vs Seafolk City Spirits(2)
Jonfilch vs Hurtadoo: After a mediocre MPL due to bad matchups, the stour semifinalist looks great with a solid 7-0 record. on top of that, Jon has requested each week to play what he would call "The best Chuck E Cheese Mainer" from each team showing he's trying to be successful in a strong pool and not just farm. However, I'd be lying if I said he played all his games well and even knows what's going on in some. He has admitted to clicking sometimes, and in some cases is unfamiliar with the tier resulting in some impulsive play. On the other side, we have Hurtadoo, who to be honest I'm not familiar with. I've caught most of his games live at least, and he seems decent. Uses his timer, makes the correct plays most of the time and went 3-0 at the start of the season vs capable players... All positives. Going to give it to the Stour semi-finalist due to better overall play, but Hurtadoo is no slouch and anything can happen in the Mickey Mouse clubhouse.
Bluxio vs Hyperspace12: I don't know what to make of this match up honestly. Bluxio is a bit of a veteran whos been in the mono community for a very long time, while hyper is fairly new being put on with the help of Decem. I don't think Bluxio is a bad player however his team choices are a bit ambitious and sometimes don't make sense. I feel hyper rushes his plays a lot, but his team choices are creative enough to make up for it. My problem is that his style mirrors Decem, making him easier to counterstyle. I think Bluxio is better but he needs a leash in the builder department, for now Hyper has this.
TJ vs Leafium Z: Not much to say about this one honestly. TJ is more accomplished across the monotype tournament scene despite it not being his mainer and is not unfamiliar with high-pressure games. I wouldn't discredit his opponent though, I've seen him around. I believe he made circuit playoffs? And outside of that, he's been a presence in the community for a long time, so it's nice to see he gets a shot in team tours. TJ has had a harder pool though and I doubt Leafium is able to clear the smoke this time around.
Sabella vs Mushamu: Highlight of the week, Both these dudes have done a ton of farming over the past couple of years. And when I say farming I mean literally picking every last bit of fruit and vegetable out the dirt cause why are you both in semis/finals of everything hello? Go outside other people wanna win as well jeez. All jokes aside you both are great players here, well done. Sabella I'm sorry but I'm going to bold Decem here, and no its because I don't think he's better. I think his creativity outpaces yours by a large margin, and you don't switch up your style. It works vs the other Chuck E Cheese players but won't against a calculated established player like Decem, you will get counterstyled. Hang up the water and Psychic and you take it in my opinion. Ribbon holder looks too good rn and I can't bold against him with his recent results.
Tonyflygon vs adjustments: Tony has been killing the threat pool across every single mono tour he has joined with a record of 22-8. Some of these dudes he's beaten 2-3 times which is insane. Peoplegive threat lots of hate, however its the only monotype tier wherematch ups are truly even. Prep and play is what wins most of the time, and Tony has been better in both catagories over the rest of the pool. I don't think this is close at all, not much to add.
Qwily vs fatfighter2: I've seen fatfighter get like 16 good match ups in a row so I almost bolded him because it would be naive to bet against luck like that. However I saw his game vs Vodoom where he had a good match up and tossed it this time around. I'm not roasting him btw, I teamed with him in Mono nat dex Pl and he was awesome. I just think he's been extremely fortunate in the builder and had a lot go his way some games.Things happen and I think he's solid but this streaks gotta end sometime. Qwily has Leru+attribute support which is scary when it doesn't miss, and qwily usually plays well anyway, the German takes it.

Nixtorm Ninetales(1) vs Zephyr Zigzagoons(5)
Plunder vs Padox: Ngl I checked the sheet and saw Plunder was 4-0 so I went to check the replay thread and that shit said threat. Not sure why they moved him honestly he seemed to be doing well. Surprised to see Padox negative but then again he brought some mickey mouse shit last week(Literally had mice on his team) so whatever. Good player and got some clutch wins. Bolding him since he's been in SS a lot longer with Plunder being in threat a lot this tour.
Shiba vs Trichotomy: Highlight game for sure, these dudes won a ring together last MWP. Shiba has been a regular in the mono tournament scene for a long time, racking up not only a ton of wins, but ALOT of rings. Trich is one of the most accomplished Mono players out rn and is personally in my top 3. If he actually tried I'd have him at #1 but he seems very lax, just gets on and plays his games. I used to think he was average until he dragged my face into the concrete 3 times in NDMPL, so the respect is there. Highlight game for sure everyone should catch this live.
Xiri vs Cata: I haven't seen Cata in a LONG time im ngl, I'm not sure how familiar he is with SS but I'm sure xiri has a lot more experience. He also has a 5-2 record so far with some solid play and good teams. If this were SM i'd bold cata cause I think he's a lot better at the tier(or even oras) but in SS going with the veteran.
Bo3: Bushtush vs Star: Not sure who gave bush those ruh rah teams when they last played but you can't be sabotaging my boy like that again wtf. The last time they played star farmed bush with some sneaky tactics (Scarf Cloyster) that he couldn't come back from. If they play again I think it will be closer, but star should still win since he doesn't click as often as bush does. Don't give bush any bad types again though Poison in SM is a no no.
Nailec vs Avarice: A bit uneducated on threat so I'm going with who has the better record.
Mateeus vs Vodoom: Vodooms P good at nat dex and extremely involved in the tier. I think his current record is impressive and I don't think he's going to lose here. He can sometimes click a bit, but so does his opponent who is currently even this tour. Mat is decent enough to take a game off him I just doubt the streak stops here. Mat might wanna go outside of the box for this one because the teams Vodoom uses looks like trich/feitan stuff but I could 100% be wrong. Gonna watch this live as well to see if Vodoom can go 7-0.

Leru Sabella TonyFlygon grats for making semis for the 1342th time blah blah take whats yours. Krows or Zigzagoons to win the entire thing, Both solid teams.

Have some great games everyone

Last edited:

Attribute

HYPNOS | pulp
is a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Cup Winner
Nixtorm Ninetales (2) vs Zephyr Zigzagoons (4)

SS: Plunder vs Padox - We're starting things off with what is considered an upset(?) ladies and gentlemen. The Ninetales hold the best SS record of the tournament at 16-5, which is insanely impressive and I believe this is partly due to the collaborative effort of style.css and Plunder. This is his first tournament getting some actual playing time and he has delivered, seeing as he is currently 4-0, albeit his games have been a bit shaky. Padox is 3-3 (I am not counting him bringing the infamous "Mickey Mouse team" as an actual game) but unless my memory is failing me, I do think he has been playing mostly fine. 16-5 is way too consistent of a record though, and I really don't think the momentum that the Ninetales have in the builder right now stops here. Plunder gets the bold.

SS: Shiba vs Trichotomy - Trichotomy took a break and hasn't skipped a beat. Coincidence? I think not *cough* DugZa Floss *cough*. Jokes aside, Trich is a top 3 monotype player at the very least right now, and I don't think anyone stops him at this point. Shiba isn't a slouch, and is in fact having a great tournament, but I probably bold Trich for the rest of the tour.

SS: Xiri vs Catalystic - This is a similar situation to Plunder vs Padox except I think Xiri is the better player, and is definitely more in tune with SS than Catalystic is. In addition to what appears superior type selection by the Ninetales, Xiri has a lot going for him here.

Bo3: Bushtush (SM) vs Star (ORAS/BW) - Star is favored but I believe this series goes to 3 games, SM being the gen Bush most likely takes. The team selection in SM by the Ninetales has been a little bit sus but I think they're gonna pull through here anyway. As far as ORAS goes, this gen is a complete clusterfuck so anything can happen but Izaya has seemed to be absolutely on point in the builder this tour, so Star wins here. Lastly, the team selection in BW by the Ninetales is even more sus compared to SM but I don't think any miracles save them here. Star wins in 3.

Threat: Nailec vs avarice - Normal threat! This ones gonna be fun. Anyway, I'm not a Monothreat person so I could be looking at things without a clear point of view, but I haven't been a fan of most (maybe all) of the teams coming out of the Ninetales this season. I think Normal is one of the types that absolutely requires a good, well-thought team plus overall great playing (or at least more so than the types we've seen this season), and I just can't see ToxaNex (I think he's the builder?) outmaneuvering Chait (I think he's the builder as well?) in the teambuilder. Nailec does have some upside, he has managed to beat the two best Threat players in the pool which is something that should at least be mentioned, but I do think anyone can beat anyone in Rock and Bug threat, and those happened to be his two only wins in Threat this tournament, which makes me inclined to bold avarice.

NatDex: Mateeus vs Vodoom - I cannot believe Vodoom is 6-0 LMAO what the hell. Anyway, he should realistically get the win here. I don't think Mateeus has been playing too amazingly on top of some questionable team choices, while Vodoom has looked pretty dominant thus far. I am also extremely lazy to properly finish this prediction post so this match up is possibly closer than what I make it seem to be so... yeah. 7-0 Vodoom here we come.

krows you guys have been absolutely fantastic from the start, now go win this whole thing :blobthumbsup:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)