SM OU Monsters in the Grass: who says Grass is the worst offensive typing?? (ELO 2000+, 87% GXE)

Hi all,

Coming at you with another team, this time: Grass spam! Once again, this team features my favourite mon and the undisputed GOAT of the tier: Scarf Serperior. However, this time he has brought along some Grass-type friends to destroy the meta with. Hope you all enjoy!

Grass has often been said to be one of the worst offensive typings in the game, which, to be fair, it is. However, this gen has been the introduction of Grassy Terrain and two incredible Grass mons in Bulu and Kart, so now is as good as any to build an offence team around Grass!

I actually made this team earlier this year (which is when i made it to 2000+), but didn't end up posting an RMT cos I was too busy. With the new Zygarde suspect test (probably gonna vote no ban), i decided to dust the team off and see how it fares in the current meta. It was pretty good, carrying me to a 36-5 record to qualify for reqs, so i thought i'd share. I think this also goes to show how stable and (dare i say it) stale the meta has been this year when a team built a year ago is still viable. The main that I used has since decayed, but here is proof of 2000+ from earlier this year: 2018-02-05 (2).png

Team Preview

The lead

Greninja (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick

Like my previous RMT (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/z-giga-impact-greninja-elo-2000-top-10.3631401/#post-7746377), Gren serves as the lead most of the time. Ice Beam/Gunk/Low Kick is incredible coverage, letting me get damage off on Tapu Fini, Bulu, Tangrowth, Kyurem-Black, Ferro, Heatran, and any 4x Ice weak like Lando-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp. Low Kick is especially vital because it allows me to get big damage on Ferrothorns that switch in, allowing Mag an easier time to sweep.

If i think the opponent will lead with something like Scarf-Lando or Koko, I will usually lead with Bulu, and if I think they will lead with a faster mega like Lopunny, I will lead Serp.

Focus Sash let's me take on lead Kyurem-Blacks and also just lets me get a hit or Spikes off in general. It also comes in very handy on the odd occasion i need to KO a set-up mon. For example, Sash comes in incredibly handy in this game, letting take out Hawlucha after a fire play by me to switch into SD :p https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-704378396

Spikes: My general theory when it comes to hazards is to either use hazards and not have a defogger, or to not use hazards at all like my last RMT. For this team, it relies heavily on forcing switches and eventually sweeping with Magearna or Serp, and Spikes helps tremendously to wear down opposing Heatrans and Magearnas to this end. Protean turning you into a ground type also helps you play mind games with AV Mags that want to come in and Volt Switch for momentum.

The Glue

Heatran @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Arguably the most important mon on this team for it's ability to come in and threaten all of the mons which resist my Grass-spam. Now you may ask why Fire Blast > Magma Storm. This is something that I have been toying with quite a bit and for me, Magma Storm's 75% accuracy is just that little bit too low for how important this mon is to the team. There are way too many times where I am in against a Magearna or other bulky steel where it is vital that I hit my Fire move, and the increased accuracy of Fire Blast just sits better with me.

Another choice here is Modest > Timid, which gives Fire Blast an incredible amount of power. Lately, I have been running Timid more and more so that I at least speed tie with opposing Trans. Toxic is for incoming Zygardes and Chomps. Stealth Rock is self-explanatory, so all I will say is that it is vital to assess how important Rocks are at the start of the game. If the opponent has a Zard or Volc, you better get Rocks up.

I have always loved Chople on Tran, as it lets me live a HJK from Lopunny if I'm above ~75% HP. Chople also lets me eat Superpowers and Sacred Sword from opposing Bulus and Kartanas. Lack of Lefties is annoying, but Grassy Terrain is good at getting Tran some passive recovery, and Chople comes in so handy.

Chople letting me eat a Sacred Sword from Kart to win the game (check out Bulu 2HKO'ing Zapdos): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-704382235

An example of Tran's importance to the team vs Tangrowth and Mag. The KOs on Medicham and Tang also highlights why I choose Fire Blast and Modest nature: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-704431447

Tran has amazing syngery with Bulu, allowing me to play them in tandem like in this match (and allowing me to make risky plays like the last turn): https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-704427521

Now that the boring stuff is over, let the Grass spam begin!

The Banded Brothers

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower​

I don't see banded Bulu much on the ladder, and it surprises me, because this thing is a goddamn monster.

Some Wood Hammer calcs for reference

Neutral Hits
SpDef Toxapex - 110.8 - 130.6%
252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable - 107.6 - 127.1%
188 HP / 0 Def Zygarde - 101.9 - 120.2%
240 HP / 156 Def Mew - 103.4 - 122.1%
4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp - 141 - 166.2%
244 HP / 44 Def Gliscor - 109.3 - 128.9%
Scarf Lando-T @ -1 Attack - 94.9 - 111.7%
Defensive Lanto-T @ -1 Attack - 65.9 - 77.7%

Resisted Hits
248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos - 51.1 - 60.3%
0 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian - 97.3 - 114.3%
Assault Vest Magearna - 58.9 - 69.4%
4 HP / 0 Def Magnezone - 75.8 - 89.3%
40 HP / 0 Def Mega-Mawile @ -1 Attack - 73.7 - 86.8%
248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth - 38.2 - 45.1%
AV Tangrowth - 48.2 - 56.9%

If Bulu hits something neutrally with Wood Hammer, it most likely gets OHKO'd. Common Flying type switch ins like Torn and Zapdos both get destroyed. Any variant of Lando-T can switch in a maximum of 1 time. AV Tang is 2HKO'd by Wood Hammer if it comes in on Spikes or Rocks (Rocky Helmet Tang gets eaten alive by Tran). This all opens up the game for Kart to come in and start chucking out Leaf Blades and Knock Offs.

The only thing you have to watch out for is Charizard, which can come in on a Wood Hammer and set up. That's where Stone Edge and some prediction comes into play.
Superpower is essential for Ferrothorn and Heatran, so you need to be smart with your predictions. From what I have found, many players don't expect Banded Bulu and would rather switch in their Lando-Ts and Torns rather than Ferro or Tran even though the first 2 mons get destroyed by Wood Hammer. Be smart with your predictions, kids.

For example, here is a replay where I establish Band Bulu as a threat by OHKO'ing Torn turn 1, and then Superpower the Tran a few turn later to set up the easy Serp sweep: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-695020894

The second part of Bulus magic is Grassy Terrain, both for it's ability to boost Leaf Storm from Serp and Leaf Blade from Kart and its ability to halve Earthquake's damage, allowing Mag an easier time to set up and allowing Tran to live hits it otherwise wouldn't.

Replay of Bulu's brutal power against a bulky balance team which sets up a Kart clean up: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-704924365
Another bulky semi-stall team getting destroyed by Bulu: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-704923084

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

With a tier-topping 181 base attack, it only makes sense to add a Choice Band on top. Now it may seem kinda redundant to have another Banded Grass mon, and to be perfectly honest, it kinda is, but that would kinda ruin the Grass spam theme , so run with it. It also isn't until I took Kart off the team that I realised how valuable it was for its ability to spam Knock Off vs Stall and to outspeed and revenge mons such as Mega-Medicham, Mega-Pinsir, and to live hits from +1 Zygarde and +1 Gyara and revenge (assuming the Z-moves have been spent).

Knock Off and Leaf Blade are my most clicked moves in the early game. Getting rid of Ferro's Lefties or Tangrowth's Assault Vest goes a long way to helping my own Mag sweep late game. Kartana is also incredibly good late-game vs slower balance teams as it can come in and clean through weakened balance cores consisting of Pex, Lando-T, AV Mag etc.

Here is an example of Kartana's power, clean OHKO'ing Mega-Medicham turn 1 and also OHKO'ing Lele: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-704925138

GOAT (Serperior) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Defog
- Glare
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The 3rd Grass mon and my 3rd RMT featuring this Pokemon. It's just so fun to play with. Where Kart is good against Balance teams, Serp is fantastic against opposing offence. Scarf + Timid lets me outrun pretty much every pokemon in the meta. Glare lets me cripple +1 set up mons like Volc and Zard-X.

Leaf Storm in Grassy Terrain hits incredibly hard, and many games end with me cleaning up my opponents weakened mons with it. I will copy my previous RMT when i say "Serp is also a great switch in to Ash-Gren (both before and after it transforms). You can switch in on Dark Pulse, opponents will think they outspeed and 2HKO you, and then you can KO with Leaf Storm. It's also great vs Rain because you can switch in on any of Swampert's moves, outspeed and OHKO."

Defog is really just a filler move which I don't think I have ever clicked. Thinking of changing it to Knock Off for Chanseys that want to switch in.

Here is Serp letting me check Mega-Zam, the fastest unboosted mon in the game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-704377901

The Sweeper

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room

My first SM RMT (https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...er-43-5-record-gxe-86-5.3596426/#post-7242771) featured this mon, and I still believe it is one of the best sweepers in the game. Once hazards are set and the opponent's team has been weakened, this thing goes to town.

I will also echo what I said in that first RMT, which is Trick Room > Shift Gear. The extra bulk, in my opinion, is just so invaluable, and Trick Room is so much better against Rain and Sun teams where you would otherwise still get outsped at +2 by Mega-Swampert, Kingdra etc.

I have been toying with Focus Blast over Ice Beam just to allow me a better chance at sweeping if I haven't adequately weakened Heatran and Ferro.

In many of the replays I have linked, you will see that Mag sometimes doesn't even come out at all, and if it does, it's only to clean up like in this game: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-695814148
Another late game Mag sweep vs Sand which shows it's bulk: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-695509556

Threats

There is a reason why Grass isn't a great offensive type, and that's because it is 4x resisted by some of the most common mons in OU, namely: Heatran, Ferrothorn, Celesteela, and Mega-Scizor. That is just an inherent weakness in foundation of this team. All I will say is that if you see any of these mons, you have to keep Heatran healthy. Apart from a potential speed tie with opposing Heatrans, my own Heatran should be able to easily take on these 4 pesky mons. Your opponent will most likely know this, so play smartly and use Toxic liberally to weaken common switch-ins like Lando-T, Garchomp, and Zygarde.

Charizard-Y, X, and Volcarona. As you can probably imagine, strong Fire type Pokemon have a field day against this team. You will likely be on the back foot the whole game just out of sheer match-up imbalance, but this is also where Glare on Serp comes in handy on a Zard or Volc switching in, as well at Stone Edge on Bulu.

A few brief thoughts on Zygarde and how this team deals with it. Bear in mind, this team was made at the start of the year, where most Zygardes were Banded or standard DD. The recent rise in more versatile sets like Sub+Glare, Sub+Toxic, Coil varieties etc hasshaken up the meta a little, but this team has held up quite well. First, there is the inherent advantage this team has over Zygarde by virtue of it being 1/2 Grass mons. Second is Zygardes inability to really set up on any of of these mons bar Heatran. Serp boosts with Leaf Storm and outspeeds +1 DD Zygarde, Banded Bulu OHKOs 188 HP Zygarde and easily holds its own against Coil+DD sets, Kart outspeeds and takes on Sub-Toxic sets and does huge damage with Leaf Blade. Gren can revenge in a pinch if Sash is still intact, and Mag can live non-banded Thousand Arrows and set up TR. The only variety of Zygarde that really has a chance against this team is Sub + Glare and that's only if they hax me to shit.

Hawlucha can present a problem to this team if it gets +2. Seeing as most are paired with Koko, it is vital to keep Bulu alive to Terrain-block Hawlucha from getting it's speed boost. Most Koko+Lucha teams are some form of Offence, so it might be smart to set up TR with Mag before the opponent gets the opportunity to set up their Lucha. Gren with Focus Sash can also come in handy, and Chople Tran can live an unboosted HJK or Drain Punch. Just be wary of how you play Bulu, because if you KO an incoming Koko, you are letting Hawlucha get an easy Swords Dance.

Hope you all have fun playing with the team!

Importable!

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Kartana @ Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword
- Knock Off

Serperior @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare
- Defog

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Heatran @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Greninja (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick

Hey there, hope you're well my man. Props on such a powerful and creative team. I agree with you that Banded Bulu is severely underrated and not used nearly as much as it should be, having used it on my Trick Room team that I peaked #1 with earlier in the generation.
I have a few suggestions however;
Firstly I would switch Stone Edge on Tapu Bulu for Rock Slide. Wood Hammer is so savagely powerful that the only matchups you'll even be clicking the Rock move are those where the opponent has a 4x resist like Volcarona, Mega Pinsir or Mega Charizard X/Y. Disposing of these Pokémon upon switchin 90 percent of the time rather than 80 is very relevant and the power difference is inconsequential.
I would also consider Max HP, Max Attack, Adamant rather than the Max speed variant you currently have. Bulu's speed tier is such that even with maximum investment it's slower than most of the fast meta (think Koko, Lele, Excadrill, Kyurem B, Garchomp, Latis, Ultra Beasts, most offensive Megas like Zam, Lopunny, Medicham, Pinsir etc.) and uninvested it's still faster than defensive Pokémon such as Clefable, Chansey, Skarmory, Mega Sableye, Tangrowth, Toxapex etc. The added bulk makes it a more consistent check to Pokémon like Koko, Mega Swampert, Kingdra and Greninja, allows it to tank hits better against Pokémon like Lele, Zam, Lopunny etc. before OHKOing them in return, enables you to use Wood Hammer more before killing yourself and gives you the potential to become quite durable between Grassy Terrain and a powerful Horn Leech.
Choice Scarf doesn't make the most sense to me on Serperior. It's a Pokémon with limited coverage moves, but it's the potential to switch from Leaf Storm to Hidden Power Fire that makes it so difficult to wall. Scarf HP Fire and Defog are going to create all kinds of setup opportunities for the opponent. I'd go with this set instead;

Serperior @ Miracle Seed/Life Orb (if you don't use Giga Drain), Max Speed, Max Sp Atk, Timid

Leaf Storm
HP Fire
2 in combination of Taunt, Glare, Giga Drain

Taunt and Giga Drain in combination with the first two moves absolutely bodies the standard Quagsire, Chansey, Mega Sableye stall. Glare is still a ludicrously good move though and prevents Mega Char X/Y, Heatran and Volcarona switching in with impunity.

I'd instead give the Choice Scarf to Kartana since it has more immediate power than Serperior, 4 moves that make sense on a Choice Scarf set rather than 1 and Beast Boost can accumulate to get out of control in the same way that Leaf Storm's boosts can. It also gives you a Scarfer that can at least get a big hit off on +1 Charizard X, +2 Shift Gearna, +1 Dragonite - three huge threats to this team.

My final suggestion is to give Heatran a Rock move whether that be Ancientpower or Stone Edge. I feel the Charizard Y and Volcarona weakness is too palpable without one and if you Glared Volcarona or Mega Charizard Y earlier in the match, your current Heatran set can't deal with them. If you retain your current EV spread Ancientpower is better, but I'd probably go with a more Specially Defensive build, since it's your backbone against some huge threats to the team - opposing Heatran, Mega Char Y, Volcarona, Magearna.
Losing Toxic I don't think is a big deal - it's only truly effective against stall when Heatran also has Magma Storm and Taunt, and losing the ability to do anything to the Latis, Tapu Fini, Gastrodon, Swampert, Suicune etc. isn't very relevant when you consider the theme of this team.
I'd still probably keep Chople Berry since it gives you assurance against Focus Blast Magearna, Mega Alazakam, Lele and Mega Charizard Y, and provides you a check to Close Combat Mega Pinsir.

The biggest threats I see to the team after my changes are Mega Venusaur and to a lesser extent Amoonguss. The only easy fix without altering members is to run Zen Headbutt on Choice Band Bulu over Horn Leech or Rock Slide, and then modify the Bulu EV spread to run enough speed to outspeed standard Mega Venusaur.

I hope this rate was helpful, I put a ton of time and thought into it. Let me know what you think about my suggestions.
Peace,
~WhimsicottIsBroken

Edit; Actually if the purpose of Serperior is to break common stall teams, I propose this set instead;

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Bulletproof
Clanging Scales
Close Combat
Poison Jab
Dragon Dance/Taunt

Bulletproof makes it immune to Sludge Bomb, Gyro Ball, Shadow Ball etc. which combined with it's resistances to Grass and Fire makes it a perfect switchin to Pokémon like Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn and Blacephalon which can be troublesome for this team. It can then use all of these as boosting fodder. It still completely bodies Quagsire, Chansey, Skarmory, Mega Sableye fat (now even ones that feature Mega Venusaur) due to hitting hard on both sides of the spectrum, boosting uncontrollably and being able to blow past the Unaware Quagsire with Clangorous Soulblaze or even Clanging Scales if you mistime it.
It provides another solid check to Charizard Y and Volcarona which the team sorely needs, with its resistances to Bug, Fire and Grass and makes for a great Heatran switchin.
Taunt makes life even more hellish for stall and Dragon Dance means it's an actual threat against offense teams whilst their Fairy is still alive and you can't risk your Z move.

Last edited:
Hey there, hope you're well my man. Props on such a powerful and creative team. I agree with you that Banded Bulu is severely underrated and not used nearly as much as it should be, having used it on my Trick Room team that I peaked #1 with earlier in the generation.
I have a few suggestions however;
Firstly I would switch Stone Edge on Tapu Bulu for Rock Slide. Wood Hammer is so savagely powerful that the only matchups you'll even be clicking the Rock move are those where the opponent has a 4x resist like Volcarona, Mega Pinsir or Mega Charizard X/Y. Disposing of these Pokémon upon switchin 90 percent of the time rather than 80 is very relevant and the power difference is inconsequential.
I would also consider Max HP, Max Attack, Adamant rather than the Max speed variant you currently have. Bulu's speed tier is such that even with maximum investment it's slower than most of the fast meta (think Koko, Lele, Excadrill, Kyurem B, Garchomp, Latis, Ultra Beasts, most offensive Megas like Zam, Lopunny, Medicham, Pinsir etc.) and uninvested it's still faster than defensive Pokémon such as Clefable, Chansey, Skarmory, Mega Sableye, Tangrowth, Toxapex etc. The added bulk makes it a more consistent check to Pokémon like Koko, Mega Swampert, Kingdra and Greninja, allows it to tank hits better against Pokémon like Lele, Zam, Lopunny etc. before OHKOing them in return, enables you to use Wood Hammer more before killing yourself and gives you the potential to become quite durable between Grassy Terrain and a powerful Horn Leech.
Choice Scarf doesn't make the most sense to me on Serperior. It's a Pokémon with limited coverage moves, but it's the potential to switch from Leaf Storm to Hidden Power Fire that makes it so difficult to wall. Scarf HP Fire and Defog are going to create all kinds of setup opportunities for the opponent. I'd go with this set instead;

Serperior @ Miracle Seed/Life Orb (if you don't use Giga Drain), Max Speed, Max Sp Atk, Timid

Leaf Storm
HP Fire
2 in combination of Taunt, Glare, Giga Drain

Taunt and Giga Drain in combination with the first two moves absolutely bodies the standard Quagsire, Chansey, Mega Sableye stall. Glare is still a ludicrously good move though and prevents Mega Char X/Y, Heatran and Volcarona switching in with impunity.

I'd instead give the Choice Scarf to Kartana since it has more immediate power than Serperior, 4 moves that make sense on a Choice Scarf set rather than 1 and Beast Boost can accumulate to get out of control in the same way that Leaf Storm's boosts can. It also gives you a Scarfer that can at least get a big hit off on +1 Charizard X, +2 Shift Gearna, +1 Dragonite - three huge threats to this team.

My final suggestion is to give Heatran a Rock move whether that be Ancientpower or Stone Edge. I feel the Charizard Y and Volcarona weakness is too palpable without one and if you Glared Volcarona or Mega Charizard Y earlier in the match, your current Heatran set can't deal with them. If you retain your current EV spread Ancientpower is better, but I'd probably go with a more Specially Defensive build, since it's your backbone against some huge threats to the team - opposing Heatran, Mega Char Y, Volcarona, Magearna.
Losing Toxic I don't think is a big deal - it's only truly effective against stall when Heatran also has Magma Storm and Taunt, and losing the ability to do anything to the Latis, Tapu Fini, Gastrodon, Swampert, Suicune etc. isn't very relevant when you consider the theme of this team.
I'd still probably keep Chople Berry since it gives you assurance against Focus Blast Magearna, Mega Alazakam, Lele and Mega Charizard Y, and provides you a check to Close Combat Mega Pinsir.

The biggest threats I see to the team after my changes are Mega Venusaur and to a lesser extent Amoonguss. The only easy fix without altering members is to run Zen Headbutt on Choice Band Bulu over Horn Leech or Rock Slide, and then modify the Bulu EV spread to run enough speed to outspeed standard Mega Venusaur.

I hope this rate was helpful, I put a ton of time and thought into it. Let me know what you think about my suggestions.
Peace,
~WhimsicottIsBroken

Edit; Actually if the purpose of Serperior is to break common stall teams, I propose this set instead;

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Bulletproof
Clanging Scales
Close Combat
Poison Jab
Dragon Dance/Taunt

Bulletproof makes it immune to Sludge Bomb, Gyro Ball, Shadow Ball etc. which combined with it's resistances to Grass and Fire makes it a perfect switchin to Pokémon like Amoonguss, Mega Venusaur, Ferrothorn and Blacephalon which can be troublesome for this team. It can then use all of these as boosting fodder. It still completely bodies Quagsire, Chansey, Skarmory, Mega Sableye fat (now even ones that feature Mega Venusaur) due to hitting hard on both sides of the spectrum, boosting uncontrollably and being able to blow past the Unaware Quagsire with Clangorous Soulblaze or even Clanging Scales if you mistime it.
It provides another solid check to Charizard Y and Volcarona which the team sorely needs, with its resistances to Bug, Fire and Grass and makes for a great Heatran switchin.
Taunt makes life even more hellish for stall and Dragon Dance means it's an actual threat against offense teams whilst their Fairy is still alive and you can't risk your Z move.

Hey! Thanks for the rate and for the recommendations.

Rock Slide over Stone Edge is 100% the right way to go and I didn't even think about it, so that's a fantastic suggestion. Re EVs, the main reason I run speed is to be able to outspeed max speed Magearna and 20 Speed EV Zapdos to be able to 2HKO them. Now that you've pointed out how it's not really necessary to run max speed, i have change the EVs to 224 Speed EVs and 32 HP EVs just for a tad bit more bulk. This lets me hit 242, 1 point higher than the Smogon standard 20 EV Zapdos spread. I do like a more bulky Bulu, but the inability to 2HKO max speed Mag is not worth it to me.

Running Edge on Heatran is another great suggestion, because it has helped deal with Zard Y. I have eat a Focus Blast with Chople and KO back with Edge.

Choice Scarf Serp is my favourite mon, so I have a bit of a weak spot for it, but I also think that it is some of the best speed control in the game rn, especially when paired with Bulu. It effectively takes on any non-scarfed Gren and can Glare any +1 mon. I find that many games Serp just cleans late game by boosting up with Leaf Storms. As for Scarf Kartana, I've honestly just never liked it. I find it hardly does anything in the early to mid game because it's unable to nab clean KOs on anything and is way too frail to survive for very long. I also find Scarf-Kart not a suitable form of speed control, especially considering my weaknesses to Zard Y and Volc. None of its moves can KO either mon, they KO me back and sweep my team. At least with Serp I can glare and the best they can get back up to is neutral, allowing Band Kart to come in and do a huge amount of damage.

Mega Venu is a massive problem for this team and all i can really hope to do is pressure it with a combination of Heatran and Band-Kart (another reason why i like band Kart, cos it can potentially 2HKO after rocks with Smart Strike). I forgot to mention it in the threat list, but yes, the 4x Grass resist and general bulk makes this thing a nightmare.

I have never actually played with Kommo-O before, but it has always intrigued me, so I will definitely look into incorporating it into this team or creating another team around it.

Thanks again for your suggestions. I hope you have a great year!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)