Most interesting historical facts of your country?

Despite nicknamed "Lion City", there are no wild lions in Singapore ever. A prince saw a creature and he thought it was a lion. It was postulated that he had seen a tiger instead.

Since Nobody has wrote about Maine I thought I wood. (Get it wood because Maine)

Na but in all seriousness one fact is that Bangor, Maine a few centuries ago was one of the richest cities at the time because we had no need for metal for building ships . We had tons of wood so we would have loggers bring them down a river and then over in Bath, Maine they would make ships.

Another fact is that Senator Margaret Chase Smith comes from the capital Agusta http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Chase_Smith

Anyways for those of you who like blueberries, we produce 99% of them so basically without us there would be none. (VM me if you want some delivered.) (Not really I will eat them before I send them.)

One last fact is Author Steven King is a resident of Bangor, Maine.

Exeggutor

twist
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
The native people of Dominica, the Kalinago, were called Caribs by the Spanish because they (supposedly) practiced cannibalism. Today, they're still fighting to be recognized by the name Kalinago rather than Carib because of the negative connotation it holds.

(I can't really find much of our history that's very interesting. We are home to the second largest hot lake in the world, though. It boils at 92° C at the edges.)

absdaddy

Banned deucer.
we've been invaded 43 times mostly by same nations 1600-1945

polish-born Mariusz Pudzianowski is a five-time winner of the World’s Strongest Man title.(that was actually me in disguise)

Katowice is like San Francisco. The gay population is around 70000 lol

Last edited:
Well, since little is known about Wales I'll start with this opening fact. Saint Patrick was Welsh! Not Irish. However, he was the patron saint of Ireland and therefore it became a thing and people still think he's Irish. He's Welsh :)

Also, there's been so much debate as of late about who actually discovered America. There's been evidence for the Vikings, Norse, etc. But one person is rarely mentioned well... ever. Prince Madog ab Owain Gwynedd. Some people around here (mostly scholars and historians, and rarely those under the age of 60) believe that he discovered America. This was based off of a Poem, a Ballad, and a story used by Queen Elizabeth I to convince the English to explore for themselves. There's been evidence of Welsh influence on the Native Indians, and armour had been found there as well bearing the Welsh coat of arms. This being said, it's basically just a rumour as far as I'm concerned!

Actual Welsh history has to do with one of my favorite holidays of all time. Calan Awst is essentially the first day of Autumn and it's one big festival with drinking and fun :)) In different shires/counties it's different, but in Caerphilly it's pretty much just a day to get really fucking wasted. Go Wales!

This is the strangest thing about Wales, and it's our history for shagging sheep. This really didn't happen all that often, except in the country. Never call a Welsh person a sheep shagger unless you want to get fined £150. Seriously. Although, some farmers when we first joined the UK found out that the fine was lower for having intercourse with a sheep that it was for stealing it. So.. they shagged it and then stole it. Ladies and gentlemen, Wales.
it is unknown where st. Patrick was born, some say he was born in Brittany.

the man (forget his name) who attempted to steal the crown jewels was brought to the king to beg for apology. The king (Richard III I think) thought the thief was quite comical and gave him large amounts of land in Ireland!! Also have you heard of GAA? GAA are among the most popular sports in Argentina,America ,England,South Africa and Australia!!

In the late 1286, King Alexander III of Scotland died, his only heir his granddaughter the Maid of Norway. She was only 3, and when she was deemed old enough to travel from Norway to Scotland, she boarded a vessel. But it landed in Orkney with her gravely ill and then she died. Now before this, a treaty had been made with King Edward I of England that she be married to his son, and that Scotland would remain independent from England. Sonce she died they asked Edward who would be king. He made it that he became overlord of Scotland with a puppet king, and when the puppet king disobeyed he stripped him of his title and took complete control over Scotland. However, this is not the story, this is just a bit of background. After taking control, he decided to take all things associated with scottish royalty away. Kings in Scotland used to be crowned on a stone called the Stone of Destiny. So he took it, or so the story says. The rumours go that he was given a fake by monks. A medieval toilet seat no less. So when in the 20th century a group tried to forcefully return it to Scotland (and accidentally broke it in the process) they may have been stealing a loo seat all along.

In Italy we technically put the pope under siege for about 50 years from 1871 to the 1920s after conquering Rome.
The history of the city of Rome tells that the first king, Romolo, would have been saved and grown up by a female wolf along with his brother Remo.
Despite its shitty reputation regarding war Italy is one of the very few states that was able to defeat Russia on the field, it happened in the war of Crimea in the XIX century.
The latest roman emperor was actually 12.

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Australia was once really racist and had the "white Australian Policy", meaning no people of colour were permitted in Aus, and it wasn't until very recently in Australian History (about 1950s/1960s) when those racist laws and ideologies were slowly purged. A vast number of Australians alive today would have been alive in the White Australian Policy era.

Our first police force was actually made of criminals, mainly due to the fact that the only people living here were the Indigenous Australians and, well, convicts. The twelve most well behaved convicts were appointed to be the law keepers of the community.

Gough Whitlam, perhaps Australia's most popular prime minister to date, also happened to be the only prime minister to have been sacked. When he stepped foot into office for the brief time of about 3.5 years, he fought for gender equality and succeeded in various ways (removed sale tax from contraceptive pills, pushing for equal pay for women), installed sewerage system into the poorer areas of cities, got rid of the controversial death penalty, did a lot for the indigenous community particularly fighting for their land right, introduced free healthcare, and essentially saved the Great Barrier Reef.

We have a pink lake called Lake Hellier.

We have the longest fence in the world stretching to about 5.5km.

We have the biggest rock (Uluru).

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Since Australia is covered...

How about I talk about Western Australia and Queensland's different lotto systems? I've worked in both and I find it pretty interesting that lotto is almost completely different in each state. Also since I no longer work in WA it's considered history to me :') Plus it's interesting and there's nowhere else I can put it. Also Australia has very limited history so lol.

Queensland won't allow you to claim winnings on a ticket unless you have a card (the machine literally forces it out of you). In WA it's a free for all - if you grab someone's registered ticket and it hadn't been reported lost you can go ahead and claim the winnings under $500.

A new game, Set For Life was released recently. WA people would be thinking, cool a new game! Queenslanders on the other hand look at the Live The Life scratchie, see the name and still call it Set For Life, despite all marketing around saying it's a lotto game and not a scratchie.

In WA, when serving a customer who asks for a scratchie you pick it out of a draw whuch already has over 1000 loose, already torn tickets. In Queensland to get a new scratchie you have to pull it off a roll each time. In other words, staff and customers can gladly go steal a scratchie or two and nobody would really know, as you can just grab it out of the drawer. Scratchies aren't really counted every day either so good luck getting caught if security cameras are down.

Queenslanders have a reputation for being dumb. Therefore you have a name for each type of ticket. In WA you would ask for a 18 game for Saturday. Nothing as simple as that in Queensland, it has to be a Super for Saturday Gold lotto. The awkward thing is in WA, Super 66 is shortened to 'a 12 game for Saturday plus super'. In Queensland if you said this you'd have to pay $12.80 extra, with the Queenslander thinking you wanted two tickets (instead of only a dollar for Super 66).

To further prove that Queenslanders are considered dumb, you have a self checker on Golden Casket scratchies. In WA there's a self checker but if you check it and win the top prize it's voided.

That's about all that comes to the top of my head.

Turkey produces %75-80 of hazelnuts worldwide.

There's a city called Batman here.

Santa Claus was born in modern day Turkey.

This should be obvious to anyone who has ever seen a world map but isn't for some reason: there are no deserts in Turkey and no native camels. Hell, Istanbul receives more annual precipitation than London and the popular resort city of Antalya, where camels are imported to entertain tourists, receives more than Seattle and roughly as much as Cardiff.

Coffee and tulips were introduced to Western Europe from Turkey (well, the Ottoman Empire) in the 16th century.

Last edited:
  • Hungary is one of the oldest countries in Europe. It was founded in 896, before France and Germany became separate entities, and before the unification of Anglo-Saxon kingdoms.

I hail from Somaliland, East Africa (but I live in MA, USA) and it has a couple of interesting historical facts to point out! n_n

On the outskirts of its capital, Hargeisa, there is a set of really complex caves and "dens" callsd Laas Geel with rock art estimated to be a 10,000 years old! (Links http://cyark.org/projects/rock-art-sites-of-somaliland , http://independent-travellers.com/somaliland/laas_geel/) I haven't visited Laas Geel myself, even on my recent trip to Somaliland (not enough time left + broken car).

During the Seventies, a military dictator named Siad Barre ruled the country for 20 years and during his rule, he made friends with countries like Russia (USSR atm) and China. A lot of really important civil projects were built in Somaliland were built by the Russians and Chinese like the Russian hospital and Chinese roads in Shiikh.

Last edited:
The US has a bitterly divided legislature that cannot compromise on any issue, mini hot dogs stuffed in a pizza's crust and served as a dish, some of the largest gun violence rates worldwide, fried beer, and Donald Trump.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
If we are posting history, let's get some real history going on in here.

Andrew Jackson was the only American president to successfully kill the bank. Other presidents after Jackson tried but instead got themselves killed. Lincoln had amibitions to kill the bank but instead got assassinated. Lincoln's interest free greenbacks would be discontinued and taken out of circulation, eventually. In 1913 the federal reserve was given power to not only print American currency but to control it as well, basically they run this country even today. The bank can remove any desired amount of American currency from circulation at any given time, creating recessions and even depressions. In 1963 via executive order 11110 JFK attempted to strip the bank of its power, we all know how that ended. We fought the bank but the bank won.

For 4 evenings in a row during May and June since 1909, thousands of Dutch school children and their parents walk 5 or 10 km at a time through streets in huge processions called the avondvierdaagse, or 'evening four-day marches' while slurping on half-cut lemons and sweets on strings around their necks.

Vincent Willem van Gogh (1853 - 1890) famed for his post-Impressionist work and far-reaching influence on 20th century art was born and raised in The Netherlands. In addition to his world-famous vase of sunflowers and starry night, he produced more than 2,000 paintings in just over 10 years with most of his best-known works in his final 2 years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)