Motivation for Success

Tenshi

and I think that's beautiful
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I've been playing Piano as a hobby for the past 6-7 years now and I plan on teaching it in Uni and making a career out of it. Though it's my biggest passion in life and I love playing it, I have had times where I was just too busy or just not feeling it to sit down and play or practice which has hindered my progress with it at times.

Currently my motivation for playing piano has mostly come from getting hooked on songs and wanted to learn them on piano(atm I'm hooked on Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album) and I also play around to make melodies and structures of songs that I can expand on and try to get experience composing songs, though I'm still very new at that.

I was wondering what are people's ways of staying motivated with their passions and how y'all go around getting burned out or simply having artist block. :)

plant based

I COULD BE BANNED!
for inspiration with my poetry, I usually listen to a lot of new music and find things that are meaningful to me, like lyrics or melodies i find inspiring, and then i find myself motivated to express what it means to me. But i dont think theres much overlap here :p

busyguy

formerly mil
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Try to pull motivation from everywhere you can. Multiple sources are more reliable than one.
For me motivation is a good mixture from passion, money, fame, power, women, etc, where the contribution of the factors can vary.
Also, if you put yourself in a tough spot, for example moving into a new city without parental support (and thus having the pressure to support yourself), that might just be the ingredient to boost your motivation and kickstart your career.

Having a well established plan works just saying.

I'm trying the navy seal challenge to get up at 4:30am every morning to sing the anthem, say a quick prayer, do some early morning stretches, eat a starchy breakfast and head to the pool once it's open and pressured myself not to leave without burning at least 500kcals swimming freestyle and breastroke. I own a fitbit so taking track of calories burnt should be easy. Ideally if this goes well I would have done all the exercise I need for the day before 8am in the morning so I'd have at least the overwhelming majority of the day to do my regular routine.

NGL I have been using a preworkout supplement which made this challenge significantly easier so ideally when the time comes I'd have to give it a try without depending on some foreign stimulants.

Also never get to bed later at 9pm. Don't find a single excuse not to stay up later (unless a life is at risk ofcourse).

It is very necessary to accomplish your goals in life in certain amount of time, for that a person needs eternal joy and motivation from his surroundings.

Honestly for me, motivation comes and goes. I have clinical depression and so I have a lot of trouble finding motivation sometimes. A lot of the things I do and habits I stick to like triathlon training or story writing are not done by motivation but by sheer force of will. If you could develop good willpower, you don't have to find ways to increase your motivation because willpower will push you through even when there is no motivation. For me, doing things that direct me to what I need to do helps a lot- if I want to cook, I'll only buy ingredients rather than ready prepared food so that it forces me to cook. If I want to work out I'll bring my workout clothes with me in a gym bag to work and leave it in my car to sorta get myself into going to the gym with the constant reminder. So in a way, finding a way to direct yourself to the path of your goal helps too, at least for me.

Sorry if this is kinda vague. I wish you the best in your goal and hope that you find a way to continue forward and achieve your piano career!

I always had the dream of being a model, currently with 15 years old, I would say that I have a lot of time yet to start my career, however, I am very shy, my self esteem is not as high as I would like and I always think that I will never be able to become a successful model, but just another model in the fashion industry.

My inspirations are the models of Victoria's Secret, which is one of the most famous networks in the world and the one I'm a card fan. Every day I watch the shows that have happened over the years, I see with great delicacy the participation of each model, especially the Brazilian women who have been very successful all over the world: Adriana Lima, Gisele Bundchen, Isabeli Fontana, Ana Beatriz Barros, Flávia de Oliveira, Alessandra Ambrosio and many others.

Well, I hope one day I can become a successful model and represent my country with all my love.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
That's easy for me.
When I'm out of the house, I spend time making friends and being with them, occasionally throwing in humor here and there.
When I'm in the house, I usually play my video games or socialize with people like you all.
My in real life friends though are helpful and lot's of fun. They generally help me out with things, be entertaining themselves, ect. Granted they ain't perfect, but hey as long as we share some good moments we're all good. I have plenty of friends as well.
Honestly, for me to be successful in life, the main way is really just socializing. The internet makes that easier too, as I can socialize with real people in my bedroom all alone. Not just someone living with me either, there is so much variety... Whether it be dudes who make lists of things, those who want to help out, ect, it's so much fun getting to see people like you over here, reader of this post.

So yeah, success for me is one simple thing: Be around others. The internet makes doing such more fun as well!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don’t really have any self of control in the sense that I will do one thing obsessively for a week or two and then not touch it for weeks or months afterwards; when trying to balance something like that with work+other commitments the end result is burnout after not making much headway with something.

Something I’ve noticed more recently is that if I focus on maybe two or three similar things I’m able to jump across to the other before demotivation turns into burnout. I’ve been doing this with Tekken+Soul Calibur over the past month or two and it is really helpful for not getting burnt out on either while also meaning I’m never away from either for long enough that my performance in either dips substantially.

I think also having an end goal in mind helps. And I don’t mean something that is months or even years into the future (see: “I want to end up being a piano teacher”), but rather something that is within reasonably immediate reach. For me in Tekken/SC that means getting one round further into a tournament than before or taking a set off of someone I’ve lost to a few times, but if you’re learning piano it can just be to learn a piece of music or to tighten one you’ve already “learned” up to a point where you’re comfortable performing in front of whatever the next tier of audience is (family/friends, church audience etc.), or if you’re learning a language it could be to read something you’re interested in (childrens stories at beginner level, or something more serious/adult-oriented at higher levels).

Another example of a type of “end-goal”-esque option is that you could do is to trick yourself into doing something by setting a small, easily+almost-immediately achieved goal for yourself to get you going. If you tell yourself that you’re just going to do something for five or ten minutes—turning it from a big wall into a small hurdle—that can help you get past that barrier which might otherwise stop you even starting something, and generally speaking it’s the thought of starting something that demotivates me rather than the act of doing it. It’s worth trying this, because while you might sometimes end up actually stopping after five-ten minutes there’s a big chance you’ll end up playing for ages without even realising it.

Sometimes though there just isn’t anything to be done. You can’t force yourself to do something that you either don’t want to do or aren’t enjoying, at which point it may be worth re-evaluating what projects you want to use your time on.

Hi, am also a musician that can struggle with motivation to practice sometimes. For me, I usually try and think where I really want to be as a trombone player, and I know that I cannot achieve that goal sitting around doing nothing. Tbh I always want to try show everyone the best side of my playing, and not my half assed side. As a trombone player I listen to people like Carl Fontana, JJ johnson, or Bill Watrous (literal gods of the trombone) and I know that one day I could become that good if I truly devote my time to the instrument. Those guys did not become great for nothing, so I need to follow that sort of path. What I said probably won't help a whole lot, but Its food for thought I guess.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
Happiness and a sense of fulfillment. I have some ideas on how I might achieve those such as finding a suitable lifelong mate and passing on my bloodline. I also want to experience and try new things like foods, cultures, and activities.

For those of you who just say money you arent going deep enough. Why do you want that money?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)