Move Discussion: Magic Coat

[NAME]
Magic Coat
[SHORT DESC]
Bounces back certain non-damaging moves.
[LONG DESC]
The following moves will not affect the user of Magic Coat, but rather, are bounced back at their user:

* All moves that induce status as their only effect (including Yawn), except Teeter Dance
* All moves that alter the target's stats (including Flatter and Swagger)
* Attract
* Block
* Gastro Acid
* Leech Seed
* Mean Look
* Spider Web
* Worry Seed

Magic Coat is a move I've barely ever seen used before. However, I think there's more potential in it than we realize. It reflects status, trapping, leech seed, and a few other choice moves. Used in tandem with snatch, I think it could be devastating to support pokemon and baton pass chains.

example I've been using on shoddy with some success:
Absol
Super Luck
Life Orb
Lonely 252 attack 232 speed 20 hp
Moveset:
Magic Coat
Snatch
Night Slash / Sucker Punch (move speed to hp)
Fire Blast / rock smash (use adamant)

I'll post some damage calcs if this thread goes anywhere

discuss?

I think it works wonders, and I am talking from experience.
I use the predicleon set with focuspunch and suckerpunch added.
However, on wi-fi taunt really screws this over as it is not bounced back. On shoddy it is though, but I think competitor will leave this bug out aswell.

Another use for Dunsparce. I imagine most defensive grassers would frown at a Snatch + Magic Coat user, but it feels like its only going to be seen in the lower tiers.

It would be nice if some more Pokemon learned it.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem with bouncing back Leech Seed is that most users are immune to it on account of being the Grass type.

smeargle...

on topic, does blissey still use sing? pory-z could use magic coat to bounce it back i guess. It seems most effective on starters because of all the early sleep whoring going around. Does it have a priority modifier?

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
PorygonZ could also bounce back Toxic from Blissey, should it use that. Thunder Wave isn't that big of a deal, because Blissey won't die from it and Thunder Wave has more PP than Magic Coat, anyway. If you Magic Coat Toxic, the Toxic user will run out of PP before Magic Coat, should it come down to that.

Magic Coat is +4 priority.

Girafarig starter with grass knot? just throwing it out there because I gotta go

magic coat/grass knot/thunderbolt/thunder wave

I was running a Porygon2 lead tonight with Magic Coat and it was amazing. I Magic Coated Breloom, Dusknoir, Blissey, Yanmega, and Cresselia over a number of matches. Seems like a decent move to me when used right.

Girafarig starter with grass knot? just throwing it out there because I gotta go

magic coat/grass knot/thunderbolt/thunder wave

I'm not sure Girafarig is sturdy enough to make much use of it ... given its base 65 in both defences, most people are more likely to simply hit it outright.

The orbs don't kick it till after both pokemon have made their moves, So yeah if absol is a starter and breloom is a starter, Absol can reflect back the spore before breloom becomes poisoned.

Could an Absol Lead Magic Coat Spore onto a Breloom before the Poison Orb could kick in?
It will never happen though. If the lead breloom doesn't have protect first turn for the orb, it will just switch out because absol is faster than it.

The thong is, most of these Pokémon are weak to Fighting, so Breloom may Mach Punch instead if it carries it. Missed turn and his Toxic Orb is up.

EDIT: I'm not going to bother correcting that typo because it's too good to get rid of.

It will never happen though. If the lead breloom doesn't have protect first turn for the orb, it will just switch out because absol is faster than it.

Why would a fighting type with spore ever switch out on an Absol? Seriously, not alot of people would think "oh yes, right, Absol packs magic coat..."

Usually Absols set is Swords dance/sucker punc or critical hit abuse, IIRC.

Why would a fighting type with spore ever switch out on an Absol? Seriously, not alot of people would think "oh yes, right, Absol packs magic coat..."

Usually Absols set is Swords dance/sucker punc or critical hit abuse, IIRC.
Because as I said...absol is faster and first turn of the game, breloom does not want to be taking a psycho cut/fire blast or whatever if it can help it. Sword dance and sucker punch/night slash are only 2 of its moves.

The thong is, most of these Pokémon are weak to Fighting, so Breloom may Mach Punch instead if it carries it. Missed turn and his Toxic Orb is up.

EDIT: I'm not going to bother correcting that typo because it's too good to get rid of.
Heheheh the thong is

Anyways, Magic coat could also work for the stall teams that have a wide range of statuses. Along with the aforementioned breloom lead, although it usually carries protect to insure that it gets poisoned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)